Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E24: Semi-Final Results 2

• Start Topic

Always like AcroArmy and glad to see them again... Wish we'd seen a little more tonight but I get that the camera needs to be on the guest singers.

I know that when it comes down to the last finalist the judges always split 2/2 so they can go to the popular vote, as they should. Gary Vider got the vote so he ought to be there. But Howard and Howie's "I'm going to put him through because comedian" rationale really tires me. Sometimes comedians aren't funny, and the fact that comedy is hard doesn't mean they should go through over dancers who danced well.

ETA: And on another note, this commentary from Taylor Williamson on Twitter:

“@TaylorComedy: There's no girls in the #AGT finals! It's just like @GaryVider's bedroom! @nbcagt #greatjokes #taylords”

I hadn't even noticed the lack of women. Was busy noticing the lack of singers.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 3

Wow! Is anyone else as floored over these results as I am? First of all, having Piff, Paul and Stevie in the top 3 was exactly what I hoped for and we avoided another Siro-A scandal.

I was also really happy for Uzeyer. Yes, he fell last night and yes, he made a mistake which others did not. BUT, he also took the biggest risk out of all the other contestants and he's unique in what he does. I'm not a fan of people voting just for pity's sake, but in this case I believe he deserves another chance because he still has the fight in him, even after such a blunder.

I would have chosen freelusion over Gary myself, I've never found the latter all that funny and we already had a comedian in the finals, where we have NO dancers now. It's an odd thing, back when the season began acts like Siro-A, Freckled Sky and Freelusion all seemed like they were going to be the ones fighting it out for the final spots and now look at where we are.

BUT...BUT...BUT... I think we can all agree that capping a 10th anniversary season off with a final dominated by variety acts like comedians, magicians, acrobats and ventriloquists, is quite a wonderful thing and gives hope for the future of this show. It took us a long time to get there, but AGT has finally become a show that celebrates ALL kinds of talent, not just singing and dancing. You and I both might feel that some of them don't deserve to be in the finals, maybe Gary never made you laugh or Oz was too predictable, but no matter what we think of some of these acts, we should all agree that the overall variety of this lineup is what the show was meant to be from the very beginning.

I've seen some people calling this season a disappointment, but ultimately, these results prove to me that it's been a success.

Edited by Frankenstein123
  • Love 8

No singers from this round! It's like a dream come true. I agreed with all the acts who went through.

I'm so happy Uzeyer was saved! I really hope he ditches the ladder for the finals. He has other talents and caved to whichever judge who wanted him to keep it. Go to youtube and type in "novruzov brothers" if you want to be entertained. :) There's a really funny and amazingly performed routine that comes up, with Uzeyer (Uzeyir?) as the little guy.

• Love 4

Well Mr Ladder guy got,through on pity vote. I'm over it. How many times can you watch a guy climb a ladder? It's just not entertaining.

Same with regurgitation. It just grosses me out. I always read my iPad so,I don't have to look at that gross dude.

I really liked Piff in the beginning but he's grating now with his "I'm gonna not pay attention and eat something during judge get". Redundant. He needs to let that go. I actually winced when he came out because I didn't want to see that.

Paul is my vote to win. But Oz is pretty impressive.

• Love 2

All I could think during the musical interlude was I wish those girls would get off the stage, they are blocking my view of AcroArmy. They looked like they were out of breath just from the lip syncing. 

What a burn.  America put it's faith in a guy who fell off his ladder.  I sometimes wonder if the judges are watching the same acts. Gary Vider really bombed last night. Freelusion had a poorly designed performance.  A guy who fell off his ladder was favored over every musical act who performed last night. I am sitting here giggling thinking about it.  

I was so happy with the results tonight.  All of the singers got sent home. The people who deserve to be in the finals, are in the finals. Looking at the acts performing next week, I already know who isn't going to win.  

I don't even think it's a pity vote. I think even his failed act was better than what the other acts had to offer.  

• Love 3

A guy who fell off his ladder was favored over every musical act who performed last night. I am sitting here giggling thinking about it.  

That was pretty stunning. And not anything those singers will want to talk about. Ever. I can see years from now somebody saying to one of them, "hey, remember when you were on America's Got Talent and lost to a guy who fell off a ladder?"

Even if Uzeyer had pulled off his trick I probably would've still been bored. His best appearance on the show was his audition, which involved humor. Nothing he's done since has entertained me. I imagine for the finals he is going to redo the trick he failed at. Not looking forward to that. Maybe next year one of those skyscraper construction guys who walks on girders 80 stories up will audition.

On a shallow note, that woman in Freelusion is quite a beauty. And still being shallow, none of several very attractive female singers made it to the finals. But Benton Blount did. (And I still haven't forgotten the adorable Vita Radionova).

I guess Paul Zerdan is the heavy betting favorite now, but I find Oz to be completely mind blowing. I would be happy with either of those winning. Or, call me nuts, even Stevie Starr.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

No singers from this round! It's like a dream come true. I agreed with all the acts who went through.

I hate that stupid Benton Blount (a FAR worse singer than many who got knocked out this week) may stop this pro-variety/anti-singer trend next week.  He's got some "down home country" garbage that's selling people on voting like crazy for him, even though he's not actually all that good.

• Love 4

My choice for the winner would be someone from among Paul Zerdan, Oz, and Pip, and like some other folks here I'm glad the final sorting weeded out most of the musical acts and the headache-inducing, light show-flashing dancer teams. I'll give Uzeyer a pity pass into the final 10 but his act really did get repetitive. And the Regurgitator... well, I guess in the old carnival tradition there's always going to be some appeal for gross-out acts.

I do NOT like the fact that there are ten finalists to split the votes next week. Theoretically someone could win with just 11% of the vote, hardly "America's choice". They really should have had one more elimination round to cut the field down to four or five, but I suppose the producers don't really care about that sort of thing.

• Love 4

Disappointed in what America is voting now...

You know that falling off the ladder and stopping the act is like a singer forgetting the lyrics and gargling a note at the same time.

Yeah we also get tired of singers but at least one should have made it over Uzeyer or Regurgitator..

I think Paul will win 

• Love 3

I do NOT like the fact that there are ten finalists to split the votes next week. Theoretically someone could win with just 11% of the vote, hardly "America's choice". They really should have had one more elimination round to cut the field down to four or five, but I suppose the producers don't really care about that sort of thing.

I don't get why they're doing a top 10 this year either. In previous seasons we've had semi-finals, then a top 12, then the final 6. I guess this way the final acts only have to perform once instead of doing one new performance and redoing an old performance.

I cannot believe Benton Blount is still on this show.

I can't deal with Howard and Howie acting like Gary Vider is the hottest comedy act around. There's a reason he's just barely squeaked by two rounds in a row now. I like his persona but his jokes aren't that funny. Ira was a better comedian. I bet they won't love him as much next week when he's directly competing against Drew.

Poor Daniella looked crushed when Nick said neither of them were going through. She probably got her hopes up since she was up there with 3 Shades. LOL!

• Love 5

Poor Daniella looked crushed when Nick said neither of them were going through. She probably got her hopes up since she was up there with 3 Shades. LOL!

MrKate and I thought both acts were given unfair hope by the pairing. I called a double elimination; he thought the band had made it.

He lost; he drinks.

(I won, I drink, too. Because drinking* makes AGT more fun!)

*Responsible, legal drinking, of course. Drinking's not cool kids!

Edited by KarateKate
  • Love 7

I noticed something really clever about Piff the Magic Dragon*:

His "I don't care" attitude was worst when the judges' comments didn't actually decide if he moved forward or not.  He might have been mocking the idea that their comments didn't actually change the outcome.  I get that because he seemed genuinely glad to go through each week of voting.  If that's the case, I'm even more of a fan for doing that, and doing it his way.

That said, I thought the Three Shades of Blue/Daniella Mass elimination was harsh; I'd have rather seen them do three acts and have one (or more) go forward.

I don't know if the magicians will split the vote, or if it'll bring in higher ratings that there's a better variety.  (No women acts is odd; no kids is encouraging and a useful lesson for the producers.  Not a lesson they'll LEARN, but a lesson, even so.)

* So as not to be confused with PIff the Certified Public Accountant.

• Love 4

I also miss when they only had 3 or 4 acts in the final. Remember when they got 2 performances, one with a quasi-celebrity who was similar and then their own big finale?

I still love the regurgitator. I think he does a fantastic job of mixing up his acts so that he brings something different each time.

• Love 3
ETA: And on another note, this commentary from Taylor Williamson on Twitter:

“@TaylorComedy: There's no girls in the #AGT finals! It's just like @GaryVider's bedroom! @nbcagt #greatjokes #taylords”

That comment by Taylor is funnier than anything that came out of Vider's mouth. Thanks for finding/posting that, Panopticon.

I was pretty happy with the results, and glad the ladder guy made it through after being raked so harshly by the judges. The only singer I did like was the red-dress girl, but she can go on some other show somewhere and keep getting better known.

On a shallow note, that woman in Freelusion is quite a beauty.

That was the only viewer choice that I did not agree with. Howard kept harping on Freelusion's DANCING not being "up to par," yet they are a multi-media act, not just a dance act like that dancing blind kid. I totally would have put them through over Vider. And on my own shallow note, the black guy in Freelusion .... hokey smokes, he could stand on the stage for one hour and I'd pay to see that.

• Love 5

Well Mr Ladder guy got,through on pity vote. I'm over it. How many times can you watch a guy climb a ladder? It's just not entertaining.

What a burn.  America put it's faith in a guy who fell off his ladder.

I'm of two minds when it comes to Uzeyer. One one hand, he failed last night and wasn't really showing us anything new to begin with. Howard was right in saying that acts should be judged based on their last performance and sending him through was unfair towards competitors who didn't screw up. Some of them were underwhelming, but nobody really failed at what they set out to do.

On the other hand, the guy has been consistently entertaining and unique from day 1 and has so much passion and heart for what he does that you can't help but love him. He screwed up, but he also took the biggest risk and didn't give up even after failing, he was ready to go right back and try again and we know how good he is so theres no doubt he would have succeeded. I guess if any act deserves a second chance it's him and at the end of the day, I'd rather see him end this journey on a positive note and come back better than ever than to hear another mediocre rendition of a 40 year old song.

It's also quite hard to be mad when you see his genuine reaction and just how humble he is about it all. Heres hoping he can prove the viewers right by doing something incredible in the finals.

• Love 8

Howard was right in saying that acts should be judged based on their last performance

Yes, Howard said acts should be judged only on their last performance, yet he (and the other judges) always talk about CHANGING their last performance and bringing more and more to the stage. And how many times have we heard that this week wasn't as good/dangerous/funny/exciting as their last week? So regardless of what Howard said last night, each and every act is being judged based on everything he/she/it did the week before and the week before that.

It's a conundrum!

So, yeay on the ladder guy going through and getting another chance.

• Love 1

I was hoping the ladder guy would go through. I kind of looked at it as he built up "credit" with the audience based on his prior performances. He did show that he could do another trick, he just fell when he tried to up his game. I didn't look at it as pity votes. I think the audience voted based on his past performances and based on what the other acts did, he was still considered their best bet. Also, there were so many musical acts, that they may have divided the votes. I just thought it was funny that on his worst day, it was still better than everyone else's best day. (According to the judges). 

• Love 4

That said, I thought the Three Shades of Blue/Daniella Mass elimination was harsh; I'd have rather seen them do three acts and have one (or more) go forward.

Yeah, that was unnecessarily cruel. Had they ever done that before? I know they've done the "everyone goes through" fake out, but that has a happy ending. On top of being cruel, it really fell flat, as there was stunned silence in the audience. And it seemed that the judges were not tipped off, as they were going WTF? I doubt we'll ever see this done again, and whoever thought of it should lose their Christmas bonus.

I understand the arguments for giving Uzeyer another chance, and yes, his getting all choked up at the announcement made me more sympathetic towards him. But I still think that according to show biz tradition if you blow your big chance you don't get another.

Although I would rather see him in the final then Benton Blount, for sure. As someone else posted, America is voting for that down home, country boy, aw shucks BS, and not his singing.

I can't deal with Howard and Howie acting like Gary Vider is the hottest comedy act around. There's a reason he's just barely squeaked by two rounds in a row now. I like his persona but his jokes aren't that funny. Ira was a better comedian. 

Howie and Howard have a huge prejudice for comedians, and a comedian has to almost bomb completely for them to not be on board. (Which finally happened with Myq Kaplan). Considering the 8 million or so comedians out there, the two in the AGT finals are pretty weak, (Although we know that Drew made it as an inspirational story, not for being funny). I truly believe that Ira was the funniest act this season. Maybe they should've focused more on the comedy (the banter between Ira and Miriam) and less on the musical production numbers.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Yeah, that was unnecessarily cruel. Had they ever done that before? I know they've done the "everyone goes through" fake out, but that has a happy ending. On top of being cruel, it really fell flat, as there was stunned silence in the audience. And it seemed that the judges were not tipped off, as they were going WTF? I doubt we'll ever see this done again, and whoever thought of it should lose their Christmas bonus.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen on past seasons, but each time it's just fallen completely flat because they keep doing it with acts that have no hope of getting through and the whole "Well, Mel B, what do YOU think?" part made it even more obvious because they never ask the judges BEFORE an act is sent through. It's basically just the producers laughing somewhere going "Eh judges, bet you dont know what we are gonna do now, DO YOU? HUH? DO YOU? BET YOU DONT, TELL US ABOUT HOW LITTLE YOU EXPECT WHAT WE ARE GONNA DO NOW, BET YOU HAVE NO IDEA, Damn we are clever"

I truly believe that Ira was the funniest act this season. Maybe they should've focused more on the comedy (the banter between Ira and Miriam) and less on the musical production numbers.

Ira is another example of judges judging on PAST performances and not the one in front of them this week. Ira got the hook for doing "the same thing' he did the time before and was not judged based on what he was doing in front of everyone THIS week.

So again, Howard's nose grows longer when he says they have to judge the current act they see, not the past performances.

• Love 2

I cannot believe Benton Blount is still on this show.

And ugh, with even less singers competing with him, even likelier to win. The idea is... ick.  Kevin Skinner never went anywhere in his career for a reason. These "down home lovable" reward winners are useless.

I can't deal with Howard and Howie acting like Gary Vider is the hottest comedy act around. There's a reason he's just barely squeaked by two rounds in a row now. I like his persona but his jokes aren't that funny. Ira was a better comedian. I bet they won't love him as much next week when he's directly competing against Drew.

Vider is a mediocre comedian at best. If good comedians actually applied to this show, we wouldn't have this problem.  Actually Dan Naturman was a pretty good comedian. His biggest problem was mostly that he was almost entirely Jon Lovitz reincarnated.  And to be fair, Tom Cotter isn't bad. He was just boring and vanilla.

Arguably the best reality TV vote Ameriker ever did!  I would have had Alondra as a Dunkin instead of Uze, but whaddya gonna do?

A juggler drops?  Done.  A wayward arrow gets shot?  C ya.  A bike crashes?  Bye.  Dude falls off ladders two weeks in a row?  FINALS!!!!

Paul is clearly the class of the season.  Oz is up there, along with Piff, imo.  I'm confident one of these will win.  If the singer was any good at all, I;d be concerned they would capture all the dang music votes, but this guy is so mediocre, it ain't happening.

One thing I didn't like at all was Mel B's make-up and costuming choices.  She really looked to be in her 50s.  Most unfortunate.  She really has to try to lose a stone or two.  

• Love 2

The BBC happily reports there are three British acts (well, 2 Brits, 1 Scott) in the finals of America's Got Talent, and also notes their many tv and various other appearances.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34207386

Fairly interesting how 3 of the front runners are all British, while BGT has been struggling to find decent acts for years now. Granted, Regurgitator WAS on BGT, but he was voted out in the first semi-finals in favor of a generic singer. I blame the general bad attitude towards variety acts on that show, only the worst of the worst ever seem to get through to the live shows, making acts not even WANT to audition. Hell, Siro-A auditioned this season to BGT as well, but didnt even GET to the live rounds (yet a fat kid jiggling and a completely tuneless singer on rollerskates did). AGT has thankfully grown and gotten out of this slump and variety acts are finally seen as more than just "HAHA LOOK AT THAT WEIRD PERSON, LETS MAKE FUN OF THEM" fodder for the judges. 

• Love 3

I'm someone who generally doesn't care where people are from, and I think that reality TV is too trivial a thing to get nationalistic about. But it just seems to me that a show called "America's Got Talent" should feature performers from America, and not successful professional entertainers from other countries who are viewing it as just another career move. Same thing with the other "Blah Blah's Got Talent" shows.

The fact that Siro-A also competed on Britain's Got Talent makes me glad they didn't go any further on AGT. And I like Stevie Starr, but apparently he specializes in these national TV talent competitions. Kind of a talent show carpetbagger.

Howard gave Ira an X for doing something too similar to his previous appearance. Yet all the singers do the same thing show after show. They just pick a different song, and in usually the same genre and style. The dance acts are also generally repetitive. And if there was ever a performer who's done the same schtick show after show it's Gary Vider, and Howard loves him. So yeah, there's a lot of hypocrisy.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

How did Paul do on BGT?  It's difficult to believe he has not become in demand throughout Europe, let alone Las Vegas and the multiple casinos in the USA which stage shows.

British does not = Was on Britain's Got Talent. Neither Piff nor Paul have been on BGT (they're both already successful acts in the UK aside from talent shows).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

My top four favorites (Gary, Piff, Regurgitator, and Paul) all made it through so I'm happy.  I'm surprised Uzeyer got the votes after his fall, but before his act this week he would have been in my top 5 so I'm cool with that.

It's interesting that in a semifinals dominated by musical acts (11 of them), we only have one solo singer in the final.  I love the CraigLewis band but ugh, Benton as the only solo singer is bizarre. He was by far my least favorite of all of the ones in this round. He's mediocre at best.  But whatever decreases the chances of a solo singer winning this whole thing is fine by me.

• Love 3

No to the regurgitator and ladder guy.  I do not understand why some find either of them entertaining.   The win is for a 1 million dollar contract in Vegas.  Would any of you, pay $75+ to sit through a 90 minute show with either of them?   How many objects can you throw up and just how many ladders can you climb?  

Piff, Paul or Oz for the win. 

• Love 2

AGT has thankfully grown and gotten out of this slump and variety acts are finally seen as more than just "HAHA LOOK AT THAT WEIRD PERSON, LETS MAKE FUN OF THEM" fodder for the judges.

Although, if I remember correctly, the kick-me-in-the-crotch guy made it through (last year?) plus we got to see head-bashing-watermelon guy again, and the guy who throws himself onto crushed glass. I'm sure there were more freak acts, I just try to forget them. But yes, BGT seems to be a bit more obsessed with them. Must be a Simon thing?

A juggler drops?  Done.  A wayward arrow gets shot?  C ya.  A bike crashes?  Bye.  Dude falls off ladders two weeks in a row?  FINALS!!!!

I'd rather watch a guy fall off a ladder 20 times in a row than have to listen to even part of one chorus from Benton Blount.

I guess I don't care where performers originate as long as they are skilled and entertaining. And, technically, if they are in New York, America actually DOES have that talent. Maybe it won't next month, but for now the talent is in America!

Would any of you, pay $75+ to sit through a 90 minute show with either of them?

Heck, I wouldn't pay $75 watch any act that is in Vegas now OR in the past. But I'll watch them on teevee for free.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

No to the regurgitator and ladder guy.  I do not understand why some find either of them entertaining.   The win is for a 1 million dollar contract in Vegas.  Would any of you, pay $75+ to sit through a 90 minute show with either of them?   How many objects can you throw up and just how many ladders can you climb?  

Piff, Paul or Oz for the win. 

I feel like the whole "You get your own 90 minute show in Las Vegas" part has been made to be too much of a crux and ultimately it's a curse in disguise. Too often we are forced to think "Well, this is good and all, but would I REALLY want to watch this for that long?"  and the judges used to base their decisions off of that, basically limiting the acts to only a certain variety. Are we supposed to prefer acts that can easily last 90 minutes and ignore the ones that need less time? I'd rather watch something mindblowing, unique and skillful done in 5 minutes than sit through 90 minutes of mediocrity. The prize is supposed to be a bonus after all, the acts are more or less given the same amount of time on AGT itself.

Would I go and see Uzeyer and Regurgitator? I and I'm sure many others say yes to that. Both of them have been doing LONG sets for years and years now, Uzeyer has whole routines consisting of stories that include juggling, balancing, ladder climbing and many other parts. We are only seeing a small portion of what these guys can do on AGT, concentrated "best of" bits from larger routines they've done before, theres so much more they can fill a full show with.

• Love 5

^^^ Mileage may vary.  I would not want to watch either for even a small amount of time.  

The prize is, as I understand it, a show in Vegas.  There are many small venues there, of course.  Terry Fator made it very big and now commands a large theater and is in demand.  I am not sure how many acts have achieved that but I think that is the idea behind the constant reminder from the judges about being a million dollar act.  True or not, there is a contract for a show involved here.  

I would like to know how previous winners did.  Off to google that now. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/whatever-happened-to-kevin-skinner-from-america-s-got-talent

As the winner of America’s Got Talent, Kevin Skinner won the $1 million dollar prize, which is to be paid out in installments over the next forty years. That’s $25,000 every year, before taxes.  
For winning season four of America’s Got Talent, Kevin Skinner was awarded a headliner gig in Las Vegas, which lasted from October7th until December 6th of 2009.

It appears, from this, that the winner is paid the million and a short stint in Vegas. 

The Olate Dogs are touring but there is not a lot of information on other past winners.  

• Love 1

It's interesting that in a semifinals dominated by musical acts (11 of them), we only have one solo singer in the final.  I love the CraigLewis band but ugh, Benton as the only solo singer is bizarre. He was by far my least favorite of all of the ones in this round. He's mediocre at best.  But whatever decreases the chances of a solo singer winning this whole thing is fine by me.

Unfortunately it INCREASES the chances, not decreases it.  Now the singing biased viewers all have a single target to vote for--his votes are less likely to be split with other similar performers. And on top of that he's also got that annoying Kevin Skinner thing going on, where people are voting for the combo of a sob-story and "down home"/regular guyism too.

And if you just said to yourself "Who's Kevin Skinner?"... that's part of the problem with Blount possibly winning too.

^^^ Mileage may vary.  I would not want to watch either for even a small amount of time.  

The prize is, as I understand it, a show in Vegas.  There are many small venues there, of course.  Terry Fator made it very big and now commands a large theater and is in demand.  I am not sure how many acts have achieved that but I think that is the idea behind the constant reminder from the judges about being a million dollar act.  True or not, there is a contract for a show involved here.  

I would like to know how previous winners did.  Off to google that now. 

It's a headline show, but for a limited time only. As for the winners, Terry Fator is really the only big success story with a full time Vegas show going on for years and years now, he's pretty much a staple of Las Vegas.

Bianca, Michael Grimm and Landau are still active in music, they are by no means household names and their albums didn't really go anywhere, but they still seem to get gigs and be doing well enough to support themselves and live off the prize money/concerts. Olate dogs is apparently quite active and Kenichi is quite popular in Japan, even created his own app. Neal Boyd seems to have mostly quit singing altogether and concentrates on politics.

Kevin Skinner is the only one that really got the short end of the stick, he's completely fallen off the map and none of his websites function any longer. The only info I can find on the guy are rumors that he tried committing suicide and has severe mental health issues. Can't see AGT trying to promote that any time soon...

• Love 2

A few of the losers have done better than many of the winners (short of Fator). 

I mean love her or hate her, Jackie Evancho has done pretty well from the show, and she was the runner up. FIghting Gravity placed fourth but are still around and successful (although a legion of imitators, both overseas and even on the US show followed and did better than them).  Lindsey Stirling (the violinist) was out in one of the semi-final rounds but has done very well since the show. Barbara Padilla (the opera singer who was a runner-up) apparently now has a decent, if not exceptional, opera career (she's at least got a record deal apparently). Going international, it's worth noting that Susan Boyle didn't even win Britain's Got Talent. She lost to a dance troupe.  I'm sure there are more--those are just the ones on top of my memory/head.

• Love 2

And on top of that he's also got that annoying Kevin Skinner thing going on, where people are voting for the combo of a sob-story and "down home"/regular guyism too.

What's Benton Blount's sob story?  He's healthy, happily married, has a child and one on the way. His "I need to win to support my family" isn't a sob story, it's a choice he made to be a stay-at-home Dad while pursuing a career in music.. But he's presented as someone America is supposed to feel needs our support. Which is ridiculous. And offensive to probably millions of Americans who are dealing with truly life circumstances that are not the result of personal choice.

• Love 3

What's Benton Blount's sob story?  He's healthy, happily married, has a child and one on the way. His "I need to win to support my family" isn't a sob story, it's a choice he made to be a stay-at-home Dad while pursuing a career in music.. But he's presented as someone America is supposed to feel needs our support. Which is ridiculous. And offensive to probably millions of Americans who are dealing with truly life circumstances that are not the result of personal choice.

Ah, but see that even though me saying that sparked a reaction in you... you haven't actually disagreed with me that his packages and rhetoric on the show are selling him that way. He's "Merican" with the "A" left off. And if he wins (a frighteningly good chance IMO with the other singers not there to take some of his votes) he's going to have the same career trajectory as the last "Merican" singer to win the show (Mr. Skinner). A few weeks in Vegas, some regular cash payments, and a home recording studio to make and sell his music out of.

Recycled Percussion is still kicking around, although they're on their I believe, 5th location now. If you remember season 1 the Popovitch Pet Circus had a successful show before appearing, and continues to have a show. Both are technically on the Strip.

http://www.vegas.com/shows/production/recycled-percussion-las-vegas/

https://www.vtheaterboxoffice.com/las-vegas-shows/comedy-pet-theater

Michael Grimm had a standing weekly performance at Green Valley Ranch, which is one of the better locals casinos. I think they decided to eliminate the theater he was using though. He's said in many interviews he didn't care about making it big and is happy the way he is.

• Love 2

Howard gave Ira an X for doing something too similar to his previous appearance. Yet all the singers do the same thing show after show. They just pick a different song, and in usually the same genre and style. The dance acts are also generally repetitive. And if there was ever a performer who's done the same schtick show after show it's Gary Vider, and Howard loves him. So yeah, there's a lot of hypocrisy.

Howard didn't X Ira because he did the same thing. Or rather, he did it because switching to a full-on singing act was a bad direction to take and he thought it was a horrible move. So really, he X'd Ira for NOT doing what he'd done the first couple of times, which was at least humorous.

Howard didn't X Ira because he did the same thing. Or rather, he did it because switching to a full-on singing act was a bad direction to take and he thought it was a horrible move. So really, he X'd Ira for NOT doing what he'd done the first couple of times, which was at least humorous.

Yeah, it's the same thing that judges on American Idol used to say - be true to yourself, step outside the box, stay in your lane, don't be afraid to take a risk,  sing a song people know, be true to the song, making it your own, but don't disrespect the original, etc etc. 

AGT tells people to do something different while NOT doing something different.

my head would spin.

• Love 3

I'm sure there are more--those are just the ones on top of my memory/head

Let's not forget Tom Papa (comedian) who was robbed of the win by the "dog show".  Tom appeared on many shows and is now host of game show in syndication.

• Love 1

Although, if I remember correctly, the kick-me-in-the-crotch guy made it through (last year?) plus we got to see head-bashing-watermelon guy again, and the guy who throws himself onto crushed glass. I'm sure there were more freak acts, I just try to forget them.

I think that was season 7? But yeah the show used to be really bad with acts like that, constantly sending through absolute garbage that everybody knew would get buzzed. But I feel like it's gotten better recently and they've been doing it less and less. The only objectively awful act last year was Juan Carlos and we can argue all week about whether some of the acts this year should have made it to the live rounds, but nobody was put through simply based on how awful they were to begin with (unlike Big Barry, Mary Ellen, Ronith, Ronny B,Mauricio Herrera, Sam B etc etc). I'm okay with certain acts getting through the audition rounds just for the fun of it as long as they stay far away from the live shows, where things are supposed to get serious.

Let's not forget Tom Papa (comedian) who was robbed of the win by the "dog show".  Tom appeared on many shows and is now host of game show in syndication.

Ah yes, Tom Papa from the great "Tom Papa and Tom Mama" gang, who could forget him? I believe thats the same year we had William Overtell and David Baldguy in the top 5 as well.

I'm just going to asume someone slipped you bad mushrooms and you are trying to talk about Tom Cotter, who I don't think has had much of a career after AGT. He seems to be doing fine enough but he's not really a major success or anything, even Taylor Williamson gets around more.

• Love 1

Terry Fator made it in Vegas, but him getting his own show was only partly related to AGT.  Sure he wouldn't have gotten the meetings without AGT, but they didn't get him the show... he earned it.

As I recall, back then (season 2), he was only going to be given a short segment in a variety type show, not his own headlining show and after some thought he turned them down.  He's been doing a full length act for years and years and it wasn't worth him giving up bookings for a short featured bit.  Anyway, there was an opening at the theatre where Barry Manilow played at the Hilton (an off strip hotel) and the booker felt bad about the other show falling through and offered Terry 3 nights.  He sold out and it was standing room only.  So they offered him the same 3 nights each month for 6 months.  More sell outs/SRO.  And that's what lead to the big contract.

I think his success is what's also caused AGT to start offering a headline show... even if just for a short time.

• Love 1