Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Tamar Braxton: Dancing All The Way Home

• Start Topic

I saw this on Twitter, thought it put it well: Tamar did not take Alexa's place. Alexa would have taken Tamar's place had Tamar dropped out mid-show. Bummer for Alexa, but not unfair. 

That said, I think it's possible to not blame Tamar and still be bummed that the timing just missed out giving Alexa another shot. And I while I don't blame Tamar for wanting to continue, I question the show's decision to let her when the ER hadn't cleared her to leave. It seemed like they were almost gleefully milking it for the drama, and it could have backfired on them at the expense of someone's life. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 15

I meant it to be hateful just like she means to be a BIT%&.  I hear lawsuit coming against DWTS by her and her husband.  Since they are both bankrupt I'm sure they will try to get as much money as they can from the producers.  Like I said stupid and greedy!

I meant it to be hateful just like she means to be a BIT%&.  I hear lawsuit coming against DWTS by her and her husband.  Since they are both bankrupt I'm sure they will try to get as much money as they can from the producers.  Like I said stupid and greedy!

I assure you they don't need the money.  Vince Herbert manages Lady Gaga's career, before that, that of Toni Braxton and in his spare time has his own record label, producing new talent.  Including his wife, who charted on Billboard's top 100 in 2012 and 2013 on her debut solo album.  Preceding that she has credits as a writer and background vocalist on her sister's many albums.   Together, they executive produce the show Tamar co-hosts, The Real and their Braxton Family Values spin off, called Vince & Tamar.   It might be Toni you're thinking of who filed for bankruptcy years ago to protect her assets and future earnings from being raided any further by her then label, LaFace Records.  A move, that wasn't unusual for LaFace artists, TLC did the same thing because after really reviewing their contract and realizing that they'd also been cheated by their label.   Apologies for the ramble, the point I'm making here is that the Herberts are not beat for cash. 

• Love 10

I meant it to be hateful just like she means to be a BIT%&. I hear lawsuit coming against DWTS by her and her husband. Since they are both bankrupt I'm sure they will try to get as much money as they can from the producers. Like I said stupid and greedy!

Why would Tamar sue DWTS? At the end of the day, it's her choice whether to dance or not. In fact, she would have more of a claim of a lawsuit if the producers didn't let her dance or rigged the elimination to drop her Monday night. The most she would have claim to is this week's pay, depending on how the contract was drawn up.

It seemed like they were almost gleefully milking it for the drama, and it could have backfired on them at the expense of someone's life.

I got that sense too, and it made me uncomfortable.

I'm so so disappointed Tamar has had to drop out. It's the right decision, but I'll miss her. She was one of my favorites this season. Wishing her the best for a full recovery.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

Best wishes for Tamar's recovery! That's just awful and scary news!

She probably shouldn't have danced on Monday but I understand why she did. She felt responsibility towards Nick and Val and still thought it was a less serious illness and she could "tough it out". She didn't want to let anybody down, it certainly wasn't about "screwing Alexa over".

This season as a whole has been a mismanaged catastrophe, though, and this is just the next example of that. Shouldn't have someone from the show interfered? She looked ready to keel over on Monday, it was very uncomfortable and scary to watch. She could barely breath and stand.

I would have thought "the lawyers" that Tom refers to would have been all over this saying she couldn't dance if she left the hospital. Did she check herself out against the doctors' wishes?

I would have thought "the lawyers" that Tom refers to would have been all over this saying she couldn't dance if she left the hospital. Did she check herself out against the doctors' wishes?

She did, apparently. They didn't know what was wrong with her at that point.

I wonder if she had to sign something that she was leaving the hospital AMA (against medical advice).

I could see a situation where the doctor preferred she rest in her hospital bed and not dance, but where she wasn't actually hooked up to an IV or actively being treated while waiting for test results to come back. If she leaves during that time, it's not actually AMA. The producers may not have been able to stop her dancing in that situation depending on the contract.

It does sound from her statement that she got a lot worse after the show, maybe yesterday. It makes illusions to almost dying, but I can't tell if that's theatrics once receiving the diagnosis or if she actually got worse.

I'm sorry to see her go.  I think she wanted to follow through her commitment to Val and Nick.  She seemed shocked that she wasn't eliminated during the show. I thought she showed up so that people didn't think that she staged an illness to miss being eliminated.  I don't think she screwed over Alexa by staying.  Tamar intended on continuing with the show and then had to leave because of how severe her illness was.  

I thought the Kim thing was over the location. Basically the lawyers could hide behind the fact that she was in Atlanta and not LA. The producers/lawyers made such a big deal about it being over the location that I truly wonder if they would have let Kim dance if she was in LA. They could not have predicted that another serious illness would occur in the same season that would make them look like hypocrites if they didn't let that person dance against medical advice. Especially since Tamar was already having the racism card played for her in the media.

I'm wondering, has the media talked about Tamar and racial bias? I know it's come up on this board, but did Tamar or the media actually discuss her edit or treatment in those terms?     

• Love 1

I probably won't say anything that hasn't already been said, but here goes.

I'm seeing some bad attitudes about things that don't affect anyone outside of the competition, and that's awfully sad. I don't think Tamar is being greedy by any means. 

Anyways, I was saddened to see Alexa go, but she didn't really stand a chance to make it to the finals, so she would've gone sooner or later. It's not Tamar's fault at all, and I don't see it as her stealing Alexa's spot only to "give it up" a week later, or whatever people are thinking. I don't think she's being selfish at all. I admire her determination, even though I disagree with her checking out of the hospital in the first place. Safety comes first. It's obvious she wanted to be there though and the judges saying otherwise is complete crap. 

I never knew much about Tamar before this season but what I saw was a strong, fierce, beautiful dancer. I've never watched this show before, and I understand why some people dislike such a strong personality, or why some people think she was being unfair to Val but I've applauded her every step of the way. I think it's all in editing and they had an unfair advantage from the get go. I looked foward to her dances every single week, and I am so sorry to see her go. I wish her all the best and a speedy recovery. 

• Love 10

I'm sorry to see her go. I think she wanted to follow through her commitment to Val and Nick. She seemed shocked that she wasn't eliminated during the show. I thought she showed up so that people didn't think that she staged an illness to miss being eliminated. I don't think she screwed over Alexa by staying. Tamar intended on continuing with the show and then had to leave because of how severe her illness was.

I'm wondering, has the media talked about Tamar and racial bias? I know it's come up on this board, but did Tamar or the media actually discuss her edit or treatment in those terms?

A few of the smaller entertainment blogs have, especially when she was having badly edited packages. The bigger media message has mostly focused on the broader negative picture -- slow to connect with Val, having less rehearsal time because of her busy schedule, some troubled weeks on the show -- without really connecting the dots. They've mostly let fans form their own opinions about what's happening.

If they had a obvious example where Tamar was treated differently then another contestant, I'm not honestly sure where they would go with that. If they would just report "the facts" or try to speculate on it. I know her fans were already trying to start mess on social media though mostly over Tom's comment that Tamar would have been eliminated automatically if she didn't come back.

Edited by Saylii

She did, apparently. They didn't know what was wrong with her at that point.

When was she admitted to the hospital? I cannot believe a doctor would ok it for her to leave if they didn't know yet (at the time) what lung problem she had since, of course, an embolism can be deadly. She is lucky to be alive. I wonder if she left the hospital against medical advice? And if so, do DWTS attys know that? My point is, people should not be allowed to continue against medical advice. imo

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

This is our site policy

The Golden Rule: Be Civil (Or Be Gone)

99.9% of our users just read that and thought to themselves "well, duh" and we're ever so thankful that's the case. This is for the benefit of the 0.1% that don't get it.

We're not interested in babysitting those who can't have a discussion without starting a fight with other users, calling them names, or making it personal with them. It's unfair to the rest of our users who manage it just fine. If you need clarification on what any of that means, we humbly suggest you keep lurking until you see how people get along when they don't share the same opinion. If you can't help yourself, chances are your account will be locked pretty quickly.

We are not the nice police and people can have their own opinions and express them here. I have a whole thread dedicated to teaching everyone how to ignore a poster. Do not engage in this thread. We have mod noted twice already today and if we need to lock the thread we certainly will. 

• Love 4

One does NOT leave the hospital when one is sicker than a dog! When one has pneumonia. When the doctors tell one NOT to leave the hospital. When one intends to return to DANCE. Tamar is dumber than a stump, imo! It's beyond mind-boggling!

• Love 1

Does anyone know for a fact that Tamar left the hospital against medical advice or against her doctor's orders? If we only know that it was stated by someone (?) somewhere (?), then we don't have enough evidence to justify drawing a conclusion or making an accusation. It's actually possible that she was treated in the emergency room but never officially admitted to the hospital. It's also possible they were holding her in the emergency room without giving her a final diagnosis, but just a guess. The show announced that she had pneumonia but in fact she didn't have pneumonia. Mistakes were abundant on Monday night and not just regarding "Pneumoniagate" as someone referred to it.

Tamar may have overestimated her ability to juggle several irons in the fire at once, she may not have wanted to let her partner or her teammates down, she may have been pressured by the show, her family, friends, or even her personal sense of responsibility not to give up. She may have left the hospital knowing she was sick, but since she had been sick for several weeks and was able to learn her dances and perform well enough to make high scores, she thought she could continue on. These are just a few of the possible scenarios that may have lead to her return to do that last dance. Unless we were inside her head we can't prove what the true reason was.

Whatever it was, she deserves at least our silence if not our sympathy. We all have a right to our own opinions and we have a right to voice them. I guess we even have a right to be cruel when doing so. But to quote someone on this forum, "All this for a tv reality show. . seriously?" What is actually serious is Tamar's illness.

• Love 2

Does anyone know for a fact that Tamar left the hospital against medical advice or against her doctor's orders? If we only know that it was stated by someone (?) somewhere (?), then we don't have enough evidence to justify drawing a conclusion or making an accusation. It's actually possible that she was treated in the emergency room but never officially admitted to the hospital. It's also possible they were holding her in the emergency room without giving her a final diagnosis, but just a guess. The show announced that she had pneumonia but in fact she didn't have pneumonia. Mistakes were abundant on Monday night and not just regarding "Pneumoniagate" as someone referred to it.

Tamar herself said it on her Instagram:

After yesterday's final #dwts performance I went back to the hospital (after the doctors didn't want me to leave in the first place) only to find out that I don't have pneumonia but something way more serious and that is having several P.E.'s (blood clots in both sides of my lungs)

I find it mind-bogglingly irresponsible for anyone, let a alone a parent of a toddler, to risk their health (and as it turned out, life) for a shot at a stupid mirrorball trophy.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

It sounds like she didn't feel well (or fainted), thought she might have pneumonia, got a lot of tests done, and told them she wanted to leave instead of waiting for the results. In other words, she didn't yet know about the pulmonary embolism, or know how serious it was, and they only advised her to stay because doctors always advise you to stay and be on the cautious side. That's a different version than finding out she had a dangerous, life-threatening illness, and leaving AMA for the sake of a dance duet.

• Love 5

But the flu was going around, maybe she thought she could tough it out for the one dance, then get treatment or antibiotics and rest for a couple of days.

Except if she thought it was actually the flu then it was viral and there's not really a treatment or antibiotics that would have helped. She needed rest - and more than a day or two and still fit in DWTS rehearsals - more than anything and that was the one thing that she seemed determined she couldn't afford.

I'm glad they figured out what was truly wrong. Embolisms are scary.

• Love 1

Except if she thought it was actually the flu then it was viral and there's not really a treatment or antibiotics that would have helped. She needed rest - and more than a day or two and still fit in DWTS rehearsals - more than anything and that was the one thing that she seemed determined she couldn't afford.

But all of this comes from hindsight. When you know your diagnosis, you're in a better position to make sound decisions. The point is - she didn't know what she had, and was waiting for the test results. Sharna said the flu was going around for the past couple of weeks, a bunch of pros were sick - Derek reportedly even had strep throat, but no one dropped out. As soon as she learned what it was - it wasn't the flu or pneumonia but something more serious - she did exactly that.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 4

I thought their reaction to Tamar's situation was weird as well. Plus I thought scores of 9 s for the routine she did with Nick and Sharna were too high. Their routine was nowhere as complex or spectacular as Bindis and Alexa's.

I hope Tamar continues to be well but I'm not disappointed that she's not on the show anymore. Her conceit was very unattractive.

Edited by Carousel
  • Love 2

But all of this comes from hindsight. When you know your diagnosis, you're in a better position to make sound decisions. The point is - she didn't know what she had, and was waiting for the test results.

Well, yes and no. Yes, hindsight is 20/20. But at the same time, I feel like not knowing what was wrong is one of the biggest reasons she should have rested. Best case she has the flu or a bad cold and that's the only thing that would help. Medium case, she has pneumonia or strep and rest is a good first step until they diagnose and can get her antibiotics. Worst case, something bad happens - she passes out, throws a blood clot, whatever, and not resting will only make things worse. Even if it was just the flu I don't think there's a doctor that would have said "eh, no worries, you'll be fine to continue". And that goes for anyone who gets sick, Derek included.

In my opinion, Tamar made a lot of bad personal decisions, likely out of a sense of responsibility - responsibility she felt towards her co-hosts, her fellow dancers, Val, her musical colleagues, and probably her family. The ironic part is that I don't think any of them wanted her to spread herself too thin, but it trying to be everything for everyone that's exactly what she did. I have no exposure to Tamar outside of DWTS, but it's a big part of why I don't think she's necessarily inspiring. I admire the drive and ambition, but I also think there's also something to be admired about realizing personal limitations, too.

• Love 4

Well, yes and no. Yes, hindsight is 20/20. But at the same time, I feel like not knowing what was wrong is one of the biggest reasons she should have rested. Best case she has the flu or a bad cold and that's the only thing that would help. Medium case, she has pneumonia or strep and rest is a good first step until they diagnose and can get her antibiotics. Worst case, something bad happens - she passes out, throws a blood clot, whatever, and not resting will only make things worse. Even if it was just the flu I don't think there's a doctor that would have said "eh, no worries, you'll be fine to continue". And that goes for anyone who gets sick, Derek included.

That's a very reasoned argument. Unfortunately, Tamar wasn't in a state of mind to be so reasonable! She was a) sick; b) likely feeling harried and in the middle of a million things; c) she wanted to keep dancing, and the mind can will you to do things you maybe shouldn't do; and d) undoubtedly feeling pressure to tough it out and continue. And all this under a ticking clock as well.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 2

Tamar herself said it on her Instagram:

I find it mind-bogglingly irresponsible for anyone, let a alone a parent of a toddler, to risk their health (and as it turned out, life) for a shot at a stupid mirrorball trophy.

It's not about a mirrorball trophy. As I commented when it was announced she was going to be on the season, she has incredible work ethic and is a perfectionist. That's what she and Val have in common and I knew they'd be able to produce great dances. Such a shame that she overscheduled and overworked herself! I wish her "husbanger" Vince had done something to manage things better, if it were possible. She should have waited to tour and promote the album after DwtS since her efforts on DwtS would have been a nice launching pad to work from.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Tamar probably felt she would let Val down, plus she was sick, probably not thinking straight, and had a strict deadline to make her decision to stay or go.  I can definitely see where this could lead anyone to make the wrong choice and try to keep going.  If Tamar hadn't done the team dance, Val would have gotten over it and the show has a million pros to choose from to stand in for Tamar and dance with Nick.  Someone should have told her all that.

However, I'm really surprised at how the show handled it.  I'd have thought DWTS would have rules or something in the contract about not allowing celebs to dance if they don't have medical clearance.  IANAL.  Plus I never even really heard them say what exactly was wrong.  Did I miss something?  They kept acting like Tamar just left suddenly without saying anything and nobody had any idea why except that she must be sick.  I never heard them mention pneumonia or a collapse or anything.  It was all so weird and it made me feel it was just more staged reality-show drama, but apparently she really was sick.  Most of the time someone on this show gets rushed to the hospital in an ambulance and it turns out they broke their toenail (okay not really but sometimes it seems that way because the show tries to turn every sprained ankle into edge-of-your-seat suspense).

It's not about a mirrorball trophy. As I commented when it was announced she was going to be on the season, she has incredible work ethic and is a perfectionist.

YMMV, but to me that still doesn't excuse making irresponsible healthcare decisions. She obviously couldn't - and didn't - dance at her best if she was feeling as ill as she looked. I wasn't there so I don't know how exactly it went down, but I would have hoped that someone who should have her best interests at heart - husband, manager, Val - would have persuaded her to stay in the hospital. Maybe they tried and she was just too stubborn.

Anyway, I'm just so, so glad that she made it through the performance, went back to the hospital, got the proper diagnosis and is now receiving treatment. A person with untreated PE is like a ticking time bomb.

• Love 1

YMMV, but to me that still doesn't excuse making irresponsible healthcare decisions. She obviously couldn't - and didn't - dance at her best if she was feeling as ill as she looked. I wasn't there so I don't know how exactly it went down, but I would have hoped that someone who should have her best interests at heart - husband, manager, Val - would have persuaded her to stay in the hospital. Maybe they tried and she was just too stubborn.

Anyway, I'm just so, so glad that she made it through the performance, went back to the hospital, got the proper diagnosis and is now receiving treatment. A person with untreated PE is like a ticking time bomb.

She comes from a showbiz family so I think it's more reasonable and commendable that she tried to embody "the show must go on" work ethic that must have been drilled into her from young. She felt fine enough to continue and not let everyone down before knowing the severity of her actual diagnosis. (Also being the youngest means always having something to prove, as Wendy Williams commented).

• Love 2

People keep saying that Alexa might have survived next week if Tamar dropped out because she got all 10s. Does anyone seriously believe she would have gotten all 10s if she wasn't being eliminated? I think the judges knew she was going home, so they gave her a perfect score. As for Tamar, she might have been foolish, but that doesn't mean she purposely screwed anyone over. I think she came back for Val and Nick, but she didn't know she had a life-threatening illness. She certainly doesn't deserve any hate in this situation.

• Love 10

But all of this comes from hindsight. When you know your diagnosis, you're in a better position to make sound decisions. The point is - she didn't know what she had, and was waiting for the test results. Sharna said the flu was going around for the past couple of weeks, a bunch of pros were sick - Derek reportedly even had strep throat, but no one dropped out. As soon as she learned what it was - it wasn't the flu or pneumonia but something more serious - she did exactly that.

I wish Tamar had stayed for the diagnosis. Also, I don't recall Derek or others being in the ER. Maybe I missed it ? Except I remember that one Housewife lady who had to withdraw earlier. I think it would have been safer for Tamar to stay in the hospital and get the results of the tests which would indicate the diagnosis. It all seems too risky imo to return to dance.

Edited by ari333

I can't blame Tamar for wanting to continue even though the doc didn't clear her. I do blame TPTB and their lawyers for allowing her to dance without a diagnosis or permission from her doc.

BTW, apparently, the hospital is 5-10 mins away from the CBS studios...

Edited by dwtsgueststars

People keep saying that Alexa might have survived next week if Tamar dropped out because she got all 10s. Does anyone seriously believe she would have gotten all 10s if she wasn't being eliminated? I think the judges knew she was going home, so they gave her a perfect score.

I actually do. Her first dance was an emotional contemporary -- a usually high-scoring genre -- that was, by the standards of this show, well-executed; after all, her Breaking Bad jazz earlier in the season also received a perfect score. Her duet was Chicago with Bindi, and as long as both kept things sufficiently clean and sharp, which they did, it was going to go over big.

But regarding Tamar, I was uncomfortable that she was permitted to return at all that night given the question mark hanging over her condition. She's certainly not the person I'd like to have seen go next, but it's far better if she can focus now on her health and scale back the schedule for a little while. The contemporary with Val looked to have potential to be something really lovely; it's unfortunate they missed the chance to dance it full out. 

I wonder, though, what "cleared" vs "not cleared" means in the contract as currently written. Obviously, if the doctor specifically clears her she's cleared, and if the doctor specifically doesn't clear her she's not. But is it a case of "cleared until proven not cleared" in which case a lack of diagnosis would mean she wasn't not-cleared? If so, that will most likely change for the future. If at any time TPTB question whether a contestant is fit to continue, they should be considered not cleared until proven cleared. 

I wish Tamar had stayed for the diagnosis. Also, I don't recall Derek or others being in the ER. Maybe I missed it ? Except I remember that one Housewife lady who had to withdraw earlier.

I've watched the show for ages, and I can't tell you how often they've shown a doctor's visit, often with x-Rays and doctors talking about the severity of the problem, and then lo and behold - they end up dancing. This has happened for both the celebs and the pros. It's all for dramatic effect. Plus, they show what they want to show. If they want to play up an injury, they'll show the ambulance or doctor's visit. If they don't want to disclose an injury, they won't show anything. Doesn't mean the dancer isn't sick or injured.

• Love 3

I've watched the show for ages, and I can't tell you how often they've shown a doctor's visit, often with x-Rays and doctors talking about the severity of the problem, and then lo and behold - they end up dancing. This has happened for both the celebs and the pros. It's all for dramatic effect. Plus, they show what they want to show. If they want to play up an injury, they'll show the ambulance or doctor's visit. If they don't want to disclose an injury, they won't show anything. Doesn't mean the dancer isn't sick or injured.

Look at Bindi and her feet. Some of the injuries she had to her feet and knees were obviously more then a few days old. TPTB decided they weren't going to highlight those injuries until it was needed for be storyline of the week. I know some celebrities have come out and said later that their injuries were a lot worse then advertised. I believe it was Maria Menounos that was dancing with broken ribs, but they explained it away with generic back pain because they didn't want that to be "her story".

As long as the media doesn't actually catch an ambulance leaving the dancing studios, the producers can cover up a lot of injuries and illnesses and they do. We never hear about the stomach bugs and flus that run rampant through the cast until afterwards.

If they get too militant with the doctor's note clauses, then you create situations where Tamar might have refused to go to the hospital at all, danced both dances live, and had something very serious happen to her. I'm not sure what the happy medium should be, although I bet changes are made to the rules after this season.

• Love 1

If they get too militant with the doctor's note clauses, then you create situations where Tamar might have refused to go to the hospital at all, danced both dances live, and had something very serious happen to her. I'm not sure what the happy medium should be, although I bet changes are made to the rules after this season.

That's a really good point. I think ppl are making too much of liability issues and doctor's notes and AMA. I'm sure all contracts have a standard liability clause that protects the show from anything and everything. The dancers then do everything- from dancing while sick or injured, to doing stunts, to over-extended travel, etc. - at their own risk.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 1

I wonder, though, what "cleared" vs "not cleared" means in the contract as currently written. Obviously, if the doctor specifically clears her she's cleared, and if the doctor specifically doesn't clear her she's not. But is it a case of "cleared until proven not cleared" in which case a lack of diagnosis would mean she wasn't not-cleared? If so, that will most likely change for the future. If at any time TPTB question whether a contestant is fit to continue, they should be considered not cleared until proven cleared. 

I don't think there's any medical equivalent of presumed innocent until proven guilty.  A doctor or medic could do a quick assessment of breathing, not bleeding, range-of-motion, answering questions clearly, etc. checks. Labored breathing (not prompted by activity), racing heart, unsteady on your feet, garbled speech, etc.  - I'd think these types of things would put the breaks on performing.  But as I said on the other thread, they all got too caught up in "drama".

Also they don't want to get into "proven cleared", at least not by the company doc since they don't want to take on any implied assumption of fitness. (i.e. proven cleared and then someone suffers a heart attack on the dancefloor).

Edited by Uke

Three things come to mind because of Tamar's situation:

1. If they commit to do the show, shouldn't they postpone other commitments? It's ridiculous that the celebrities and their pro partners are running all over the country doing other appearances. I think that's how she got sick.

2. They should rethink the paired couples competition. Poor Nick looked a wreck all night wondering if she was going to return. It could have badly impacted his scores.

3. If they could use Tamar and Val's rehearsal tape why couldn't they have flown tony to Atlanta to dance with Kim since she apparently knew the routine but just wasn't allowed to fly; instead of eliminating her

• Love 1

3. If they could use Tamar and Val's rehearsal tape why couldn't they have flown tony to Atlanta to dance with Kim since she apparently knew the routine but just wasn't allowed to fly; instead of eliminating her

Tom says the rule is that they must have, at minimum, on set dress rehearsal video.

The thing is, Kim wasn't cleared to fly for week 3. At that point in time, who would know if she would be cleared to fly for week 4, or week 5, etc.  They can't very well run a live show from two locations.  They have a rule that you have to show up, on set, in time for the live show. If you don't show up, you're out.

The way some of these stars travel all over the place, either for their other projects or because they prefer to train in their home state (as Kim preferred to train in Atlanta), if they made an exception for Kim, that would open the door for other stars not showing up for the live show due to missing a flight, flight delays, weather delays, car broke down on the way to the airport, 100 other excuses, etc.  It's the star's responsibility to show up. 

• Love 2

Well of course.  To single out Tamar as dumb or foolish could have easily said the same for Kym Johnson week 9 with Hines when she had a severe neck injury, or Gilles Marini dancing all season on cortisone for a separated shoulder that required immediate attention, or Cristian De la Fuente dancing with one arm because of a severe injury the week before. Often times many don't want you to know the extent of the injury because of the pressure to quit. This show is the drama of it, but the reality is dancers dance hurt a lot.  They hide their injuries because there is always someone else lurking to take your spot. 

For the celebrities it's about raising your Q rating, becoming more known so that you can continue to work in the industry.  Let's say it was not pneumonia and not blood clots, but just sheer exhaustion. People like Tamar will just push through so they continue to do what they do, just so they are not labelled by producers as difficult, or sickly, or injured. If a performer gets any of those labels, then the next job just gets passed over for someone else. It's the cruelty of the industry.  So IMHO Tamar came back because of a sense of responsiblity to the team and not wanting to get a "difficult" label in the industry. The pressure is always there for performers.  

Just to look at her and Val standing there at elimination, she didn't appear nervous, she looked like she was resigned to the idea that she was the next one leaving. The fact that she got through on so so scores and no bonus points from the week previous means she had a much deeper fan base than she allowed herself to believe. They must have been buoyed by the support, only to be crushed a few hours later when they couldn't continue.

It sucks that Alexa left, but she was not gaining fan support, it was slipping. Remember she got that 76% fan vote on the Cha Cha, and even with those machinations to try and keep her relevant, it still wasn't enough to keep her in the competition.

• Love 1

I find it interesting that overworking is somehow equating dumbness, when America as a whole is the most overworked nation in the world.  Americans take less vacations and work longer hours than any other country. Americans seemingly applaud all that work, but as soon as a black girl is ambitious and over works for her American dream she's somehow not smart.  Some people have crazy schedules and pay for it with their health. Being driven to exhaustion isn't  "dumbness" it's an American obsession.  Maybe if the corporate culture would ease up these overly ambitious types would do the same. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 4

That's a really good point. I think ppl are making too much of liability issues and doctor's notes and AMA. I'm sure all contracts have a standard liability clause that protects the show from anything and everything. The dancers then do everything- from dancing while sick or injured, to doing stunts, to over-extended travel, etc. - at their own risk.

Yes. Just to follow up on that when Alex Wong snapped his achilles tendon while rehearsing under supervision of a choreographer on the SYTYCD show he was in a state of panic, because the show did not cover his medical expenses.  He was able to scrape enough to cover the surgery, but then he went back to Vancouver to his parents so he could rehab in Canada and not have the huge expense. (he is a Canadian, but lived and worked in the US for a number of years as a dancer)  Even with appeals to producer Nigel Lithegow, he said he would try to help him but FOX was under no obligation to do so.  So even on a show where the emphasis is on promoting a career in dance, when it comes to liability a dancer is on their own. It was an education.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

She sure done talk real good, don't she? LOL Doing DWTS a real smart move, too. As I once said, dumber...

She sure does. Electing not to speak in Standard American English doesn't make her dumb. Like many people who aren't dumb, she code switches from Standard to African American Vernacular for the setting. When she was on Anderson and Good Morning America, for example, she used SAE, but naturally she'd use the more informal and intimate vernacular of her friends and family for her own reality show.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 8

She's proven in too many ways to count, to this human, that she's dumber than a stump! And more obnoxious than I need to see on DWTS! Glad she's gone, and if I were a bettor, I'd wager that her partner and the show is, also! Now if we could just have gotten rid of C. earlier and kept Andy around a lot longer!

Edited by just prin

Dumb...Tamar? This is a woman who has a more than respectable solo music career, has a successful reality show with her husband, co-executive produces a successful talk show, etc. Dumb is not a word I would associate with her. And Tamar presence had diddly to do with Andy's time on this show - his dancing was average to okay and he had the unfortunate luck of being paired up with Alison who doesn't have a clue how to teach her celebrities so he was always going to be on borrowed time in my opinion. 

• Love 3