Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I don't know what I was expecting, but was Trevor joking about being a debate virgin. I don't know his background beyond his TDS appearances. Where was he based prior to taking this job. If he was living in the US and he'd never seen a debate, that adds to my worry about him really not getting American politics.

I'm very sure that comment was a joke referencing his first one. Non-in-character Trevor has admitted to watching the Republican debates earlier this year, and his stand-up makes it evident he is well versed on American political discourse.

• Love 2

I don't know what I was expecting, but was Trevor joking about being a debate virgin. I don't know his background beyond his TDS appearances. Where was he based prior to taking this job. If he was living in the US and he'd never seen a debate, that adds to my worry about him really not getting American politics.

I think it's safe to say he meant he's a debate virgin as a host, not as a person. Although he may have meant Democratic Debate...the last debates the Dems had were in 2008, so he isn't likely to be super familiar with them as he was even younger and living out of the country.

• Love 3

Erm, he's South African.  He's only been in the States a few years.

Yes. I'm aware he's South African. Being African and being based out of the States aren't mutually exclusive. My father is African, but has been in the States for 40 years.

Thank you for those who clued me in on his pre-Daily Show stuff. I'm not a huge fan of jokes based on completely fake premises. So, the joke, or at least the way it was read, had me scratching my head.

Edited by LJonEarth

I think I'm beginning to see why some people might not like Noah - he has felt a bit boring even without the comparisons to Jon Stewart.

Also, don't care about Goosebumps, so I didn't watch after the first part with the fantasy football.  Didn't watch the second part either.

Well, I enjoyed both segments.

I am glad the Fed's are cracking down on Draft Kings/Fanduels, etc.  If for nothing else, to get their damn ad's off my TV screen.  It seems like every other commercial is an advertisement for one of those dumb sites.  Gah.  And I still don't see how they cannot be a gambling site(s).  I guess with that "fantasy loophole", the fantasy sports crowd has better lobbiests than the general electronic gaming industry does.  <shrug>

And Jessica's piece on the fake mayor Twitter account perhaps might have interested me more than the average viewer.  I live just a couple of hours outside of Peoria, IL.  And regularly read the Peoria Journal Star.  And that police raid on that poor dude's residence went down, it was pretty big news around these parts.  Can't believe the major thought it would be OK to use the police force to toss his place and arrest him over a Twitter postings from an account clearly labeled as "parody".  You would have thought too that someone along the way (say, the police or gee, maybe the court) would have said, "Uh.. no, clearly that would be a violation of the person's rights to do such a thing."  But NOOOOOO...

Am glad he won that $125K.  Now he can maybe assemble a way cool fantasy football squad now.  ;)

• Love 3
[Dawkins] is so rude and offensive to people who are religious and believe in a creator.

He's awfully rude and offensive to atheists, too, if they're women.

The Peoria mayor is just another data point in my ongoing research that posits that men are the hysterical, over-emotional gender, not women.  Fer pete's sake!  Also, I was heretofore unfamiliar with the expression "trill as fuck", a condition I'm happy to be cured of now. (Few things are as reliable comedy gold as middle-aged white women using hip-hop slang.)

• Love 4

That twitter piece was one of most hilarious things I've seen in a while. I couldn't believe this actually happened in real life. Wow. 

I play fantasy sports with my friends. We're spread all around the country so it's a way to stay in touch and have some fun watching sports. We don't play for money. I was in another league that did, and honestly, I've never seen grown men act like such pissy bitches. It was a lot of money too. I don't think anyone with two brain cells doesn't think it's anything but gambling. I don't have a problem with it, if that's how you want to spend your money. In another life, I was a shark. I've been picking winners on my own for years. These companies can't be scamming people though.

I think it's funny how on The League, where *all* the commercials are Draft Kings, that the characters on the show trash the site.  

Funny enough, this morning, before I watched the show, there's a big deal in Vegas where the mob lawyers, oh excuse me, "bookmakers" lawyers want the companies to get a gaming license to operate in NV because it's obviously gambling. Kings/Duel are saying it's actually skill game. It's as much skill as playing backjack, I'd say. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this past episode, from Trevor to the Jessica segment to the Jack Black interview.  People screamed so hard for Jack which I don't mind at all because I like him too.  He was a great, really funny and charming interview.  

I also really liked Trevor's coverage of the Democratic debate.  I thought Jessica would have made mention of how people seem to be going crazy over O'Malley's looks -- my Twitter feed was full of both serious and joking tweets referring to his sexual magnetism or whatever.   But the angles on Chafee and Webb were really funny.

Trevor very well may be religious

Trevor's made it very public that he has a problem with atheists.  I learned about it in this very thread.  I am an atheist myself but I don't spend my time tweeting disparaging remarks about religious people.

http://thedailybanter.com/2015/03/trevor-noahs-atheist-problem/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

He's awfully rude and offensive to atheists, too, if they're women.

Indeed.  And he's not alone among the well-known"New Atheism" men.  I'm an atheist, and I've read a lot of what Dawkins has written.  But he’s like Sam Harris; for every one thing he says with which I agree, there's another one with which I am disgusted.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
I took it as a joke...joking around to a man who has made a career out of not believing in God and jokingly asking about his God given talent (having had the career he has). Trevor very well may be religious, but in that moment I took it as a joke, not a slam or pro-religion/God statement.

Most everything in that interview was meant as a joke. But the audience started to applaud when Trevor asked that, because there was meaning to his comment to Dawkins, which I suspect has to do with Trevor's own beliefs.You can't ask someone who is obviously against something how they are enjoying the benefits of that something without giving the joke additional meaning. It would be like asking a Republican elected official how he/she enjoyed unemployment benefits they used before becoming a politician. Implicit in that joke is the denial of the subject's position.

Actually, just did a quick Google search and it turns out I'm right:

http://thedailybanter.com/2015/03/trevor-noahs-atheist-problem/

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I noticed a graphic during the fantasy football segment: "Bet Meddler." Hee.

I loved Jordan going on and on with "Dude? No. No, dude. Dude? Dude? No..."

I don't know WTF that mayor was thinking. Honestly, what an idiot. I wonder what his advisors said, if they tried to get him to drop it because 1) anyone would know he'd only be bringing more attention to the tweets, and 2) it doesn't help his respectability to see and hear him reading those tweets out loud.

• Love 2
A quick Google search?  LOL!  I posted that article upthread

Who needs Google when we have these boards! Thanks for supporting my earlier post!

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

HA! I find that column both Ms Blue Jay and Ottis provided highly amusing, in a "Jesus Fuck are you serious, you asswipe?" kind of way. I've been a regular reader to the Daily Banter for years and I've been familiar with the writer Michael Luciano. He's the worst kind of New Atheist piece of shit out there who denounces all kinds of religion, especially Islam, in the most angry, over the top manner possible. He has found all kinds of excuses to denounce Pope Francis as a reactionary conservative. Luciano is so laughable, he once demanded that all progressives cheer Sean Hannity over his "take down" of a controversial Iman from the UK who came across more like the Islamic version of Alex Jones. He also suggested that both Glenn Beck and Bill Maher are perfect to have a debate on how best to deal with the Islamic community.

And speaking of Maher, Luciano had said how we should all take his hero Maher's advice and not act so butthurt over everything politically incorrect that comes our way. Then, a couple of days later, he writes that column where he gets all Crybaby Chris Crocker over Trevor's tweets about his late hero Christopher Hitchens, making him a butthurt hypocritical douchenozzle to boot. Yes, you're right, I dislike Luciano immensely so much that I ignore his links like the virus he is.

• Love 1

Glad you got that out of your system. It isn't the only article online that questions Noah's beliefs, however, particularly on atheism. Here's another, based on the same tweets.

http://thehumanist.com/arts_entertainment/culture/hey-trevor-noah-we-dont-all-need-a-god

And a Noah Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTrevorNoah/posts/10150463885157453

There are also a bunch of articles about his tweets about Jews, which is a slightly different topic but could support a belief that Noah views the world through a Christian belief system. Which, getting back to my original post, may be why his interview with Dawkins seemed to be that way.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3

I am really liking Trevor Noah. I thought he did his best interview so far with Martin O'Malley. Got good information from him while sill making the interview entertaining. And kudos for being one of the few national outlets to acknowledge that we have other choices as Dems besides Hillary and Sanders.

• Love 4
I am really liking Trevor Noah. I thought he did his best interview so far with Martin O'Malley.

You know what I liked about that episode? The show took shots at both Dems and Republicans. For a long time, the JS version of TDS gave the Dems and the left a free pass. The show should expose hypocrisy and ridiculousness on all sides.

Yeah, I'm not recalling JS' highly unprofessional and rude interrupting of the Secretary of HHS and then snipping about her afterwards being much of a free pass. He was rather harsh with Pelosi too. 

• Love 6

There hasn't been one episode so far where I haven't laughed out loud at something Trevor said. His Bernie Sanders/high school prom queen ("He beat out Stacy; no, not Stacy S, Stacy R" or whatever it is) was hilarious. However, I've never been a fan of the correspondents, even back in Jon Stewart days, so I find it a little annoying when Trevor's monologues become extended correspondent stories. He's also not a good interviewer yet. I'm usually a day behind, so I haven't seen the interview with Martin O'Malley.

I have no issue with Trevor being vocal about his belief in God. Unfortunately, Christianity has been hijacked by vocal evangelicals and fundamentalists, to the point that saying one is a Christian has almost become taboo.

With 70 something percent of Americans identifying as some part Christian, throwing in taboo seems a little premature. Unless he's going around saying no abortions at all and gays can't get married, I'm doubtful people care. 

Just from a political strategy pov, Jeb Bush's defending of George W is just irrational and misguided. I can't believe his staff would advise him to bring up GWB at all. Now, all he is talking about is 9/11 and GWB's presidency and not anything he's going to do as president. He's handing a loaded gun over to Trump. It's too easy. You tie Bush's policies to Jeb and just say, you want more of the same mistakes? I don't think so. 

There's no way Trump isnt' going to keep hammering at that until it's dead in the ground. 

I find it ironic that Trump could be the nominee simply because everyone else just shoots themselves in the foot. 

• Love 4
The VA hospital waiting times and the healthcare exchange rollout got free passes?

That issue wasn't party or administration specific. It had gone on for multiple administrations. JS chose it as a pet cause and because Dems were the current administration they had to deal with it, but it had nothing to do with the parties or their platforms.

He did a whole segment in his last week, answering FOX News, and showing his criticism of Obama, too.

He occasionally made a comment about Dems and the left, but far less than the right, and he often simply ignored those issues. If we all had time we could watch a year's worth of shows to compile data, but as an independent who watched TDS for many years, it was very clear to me that in his last years, JS went light on the Dems and the left. It's one reason why the left loved him and the right didn't. It was sort of self-evident.

Unfortunately, Christianity has been hijacked by vocal evangelicals and fundamentalists, to the point that saying one is a Christian has almost become taboo.

Taboo where? I hear it all the time. 

He occasionally made a comment about Dems and the left, but far less than the right, and he often simply ignored those issues. If we all had time we could watch a year's worth of shows to compile data, but as an independent who watched TDS for many years, it was very clear to me that in his last years, JS went light on the Dems and the left. It's one reason why the left loved him and the right didn't. It was sort of self-evident

The right were the ones who pulled shit like using the filibuster as a daily political strategy against President Obama, and hold the debt ceiling hostage until they got things their way. And they're the ones who, with the aid of Fox News and other RWNJs, used lies and distractions to get their agenda pushed through, like destroy ACORN or get Shirley Sherrod fired because of a doctored video. I'd say the level of bullshit between the right and the left accurately shows the right far, far engaged in this behavior than the left could. And any attempt to try and even things out is an attempt at false equivalency, which ironically Jon was accused of on more than one occasion in places like here and over at TWoP.

As for last night's show, Jeb Bush is in a no win situation. He has no choice but to defend his brother's disastrous record as president because the family name is more important to him. But doing that makes him less desirable as president to the general populace.

And I don't have any qualms with Bernie Sanders. But his fanatical supporters are just difficult to take.

I'm hoping Trevor takes a look at last night's Canadian election.

• Love 8
As for last night's show, Jeb Bush is in a no win situation. He has no choice but to defend his brother's disastrous record as president because the family name is more important to him. But doing that makes him less desirable as president to the general populace.

No, I don't think so. If you're a good enough politician, you can find the right thing to say within the context of your campaign. Ok, you don't throw your brother under the bus. But you can say something like, security failures are systemic, blah blah blah. Why bring it up, essentially unsolicited? 

Even Fox News threw down against Bush not that long ago. Didn't Jeb have some softball with what's her face bleeding out of whatever lady where he blundered basically the same topic?

If his team is not telling him to distance himself safely from his brother, then they're massively inept. The whole "he kept us safe" had to have been off message, and it's a huge political blunder. He's got no choice but to double down on it now. If you can't work realpolitik, then you're just handing it to someone else. 

• Love 1

I liked his interview with Martin O'Malley, I thought he was very natural and relaxed there. If Trevor could be that way with Hollywood personalities he would be a decent interviewer.

I agree; the interview was very good. Trevor wasn't fawning the way he was with the celebrities who've appeared previously.

As for "Christian" becoming "taboo," if someone says they're a Christian, who are the first people you think of? The Ted Cruzes, the Sarah Palins, the Kim Davies --those intolerant perverters of the word of Christ.

• Love 1

Well that was an underwhelming look at the Canadian election. Trevor seemed more interested in the new Drake video. As for the new Star Wars trailer and tickets being released for the opening: get a life, nerds! This obsession with Star Wars (and Star Trek) is so over the top and cringe worthy. It's just a fucking movie.

Trevor has a bit of an obsession with Wolf Blitzer. Wish he would focus a bit more on some Fox News personalities.

• Love 2

I did think that the Wolfster was a bit over the top with his interview with Chaffee.  So he may not have a great shot at the Democratic nomination.  But neither do over half of that Republican field either.  Wonder if he would give the same treatment to Christie or Graham.

I was also hoping for more on the Canadian election.  Especially since it was a major seachange in the landscape of their goverment.  Not only that the LIberal's ran to the left and it worked.  That is, they ran on higher taxes and running a deficit.  And the results went exceedingly well.  Are you listening, Democrats? 

And I did have a bit of a nerdcasm over the SW trailer.  Sorry, the geek is strong in this one.  :)

• Love 3

&

No, I don't think so. If you're a good enough politician, you can find the right thing to say within the context of your campaign. Ok, you don't throw your brother under the bus. But you can say something like, security failures are systemic, blah blah blah. Why bring it up, essentially unsolicited?

I heard someone -- Charlie Pierce, I think -- mention that time and again, Jeb keeps referring to W as "my brother" and that he really needs to start referring to W as "President Bush."  He went so far as to say that Jeb's team needs to drill this into him.

I agree because each time he refers to him as "my brother" I -a- think he's a kid in school who can't get over just how cool his brother is and -b- am reminded that Jeb's the third Bush running for president since I've been old enough to vote.

Trevor has a bit of an obsession with Wolf Blitzer.

I'm beginning to wonder if Trevor allows his personal biases to affect who he chooses as targets more than JS did. The show should expose hypocrisy by anyone, on any side, not choose pet targets and go after them with weak sauce.

I thought it was a hilarious show. Every joke hit and was well-written. Noah delivered them well, too.

The mashups of Blitzer and various screen bullies was fantastic. 

Judah's book looks good, though I thought it was ridiculous how Trevor and he explained each cartoon. The drawings spoke for themselves.

• Love 1
People have different passions. For some, it's science-fiction movies, for others it's the latest technology, still others are rabid sports fans.

Is there a board here to discuss sci-fi movies? Would love to join you in that. Gattaca, Capricorn One. Interstellar. Blade Runner. Lots of material to mine.

In terms of Noah, I also suspect there may be a generational divide growing here. I am finding some of his humor obvious and not very funny. The bully mash ups were a good example. I enjoyed the Golem line, but the rest ... enh.

Doing stuff like commenting on message boards, lining up for movies, going to cons, gaming are a way to meet and interact with a diverse group of people who you already have something in common with but may not ever have met.

Plus, do y'all know how many hot women are into 'nerd' stuff? I mean, all it took for me was to know enough about Doctor Who to argue why Nine would regen into the type of Doctor that Ten was and wearing my hat well. I sealed that deal before I even knew we were dealing. 

The trailer didn't do much for me but if you want to line up for a few hours, go for it. 

There's an entire subforum for Movies.

I enjoyed last night's episode -- I was actually surprised they covered the Canadian election at all, so the fact that it got a half-segment didn't really bother me.  Although I feel reasonably confident that no one, any where, was physically lining up for SW:TFA tickets, so that joke bothered my literal-minded soul.

And I enjoyed the Wolf Blitzer / Mean Girl mash-up, although Trevor's Gollum impression is probably his weakest thus far.  I'm happy for the show to expand the focus from Fox News.  By the end, the enmity between Fox and JS was getting pretty specific and personal -- there were probably an equal number of references to JS on Fox as vice versa.