Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Sleuths

Trini

The team travels to Paris to search for a group of bears that were being studied for migration habits when their trackers mysteriously went offline. While investigating the strange occurrence, Chloe must work with and ultimately confront her ex-fiancé, a civil engineer, who is helping city officials find the missing bears. Meanwhile, with Jamie accused of murder, the team makes a daring plan to hack into the Reiden-Global mainframe, and Mitch makes a shocking discovery about the next evolutionary step of the animals.

Ooh, more bears!

I bet the "shocking discovery" will only be in the last 2 minutes of the episode.

• Love 2
The team travels to Paris to search for a group of bears that were being studied for migration habits when their trackers mysteriously went offline.

Apparently these bears were wandering the wilds of downtown Paris when the trackers went offline.  Wouldn't the team go to Paris for the bear attack ?

Chloe must work with and ultimately confront her ex-fiancé, a civil engineer, who is helping city officials find the missing bears.

We saw animal control officers in the last episode dealing with the "hibernating" bear in Parisian woman's kitchen -- why would they drag a civil engineer into the mix ?  Or is it just an excuse for drama with Chloe ?

Meanwhile, with Jamie accused of murder, the team makes a daring plan to hack into the Reiden-Global mainframe

If Jamie is accused of murder, that means she's probably been arrested -- and hanging out at an airport with a BOLO on you is probably the last place you want to be.  Since Reiden Global already has this team on its radar (courtesy of Agent Shaffer), wouldn't they be on the lookout for hack attempts by them ?

Mitch makes a shocking discovery about the next evolutionary step of the animals.

I bet the "shocking discovery" will only be in the last 2 minutes of the episode.

Probably.  I bet the discovery is the hive mind nature of the animals -- due to the hyper-gamma brainwaves that already provides the animals with long distance comms -- we are the Animal Borg, resistance is futile.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

So, bears are the new bats? Where are the killer zebras???

We saw animal control officers in the last episode dealing with the "hibernating" bear in Parisian woman's kitchen -- why would they drag a civil engineer into the mix ?  Or is it just an excuse for drama with Chloe ?

The bears are slumming it in the sewers of Paris? What's good enough for Hugo is good enough for Zoo!

• Love 3

Mitch makes a shocking discovery about the next evolutionary step of the animals.

Probably.  I bet the discovery is the hive mind nature of the animals...
Mitch already discovered that, but maybe the writers forgot? Regardless, I can't picture Mitch himself acting "shocked," nor Abe. Chloe always looks shocked, Jamie's always outraged, and Jackson is always amazed, so: Business as usual?
  • Love 2

Paris has quite a system of subterranean tunnels where bears might feel right at home. A civil engineer would be a go-to person to identify the hidey-holes. Plus...drama with Chloe. In a tunnel. Wonder if there'll be any bats hanging around.

• Love 1

Forget the Zebras and the Bears.  If we are going with collective noun titles, I want 'An Implausibility of Gnus'.

All these episode titles let me down.  This thing better be the Case of the Missing Pic-a-nic Basket.

Wait.  I just actually read the episode description.  They are making a special trip to Paris to investigate bears just so they can detour and explore Chloe's break up with the fiancée that slept with her sister.  Of the things I do not care about that is somewhere near the top of the list.  It had completely slipped my mind until now.

• Love 3

Oh Boy. What I get from this episode description is

1- Chloe looking bug eyed at her ex the entire episode

2. Mitch - looking shocked, same expression as uninterested, interested,bored and snarky

3, Jamie all outraged that she DARE be arrested for killing an FBI agent. I don't care if he was dirty, his prettiness was one of the few reasons to watch this show, and now, thanks to Jamie, he is gone. Grrr.

4. Oz, uttering  "mother cell" 100 times per episode

5. Can we at lease get Abe kicking some bear ass? (ha!)

• Love 7

Jamie is accused of murder.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes she is offscreen in jail cell the entire episode.  They can  leave her there for all I care.

There had better be deaths.  Last episode there were so many deaths (Corrupt FBI guy, Wolf Manson, Optometrist, all of those Brazilians) but I don't think there were any actual deaths by animal.  Those Brazilians were shot either by Abe or each other accidentally.  I am still waiting for the scene of the killer crows attacking the mom and the baby carriage.

If nothing else, this show has given us the phrase "Antarctic Lesbians".

• Love 5
If nothing else, this show has given us the phrase "Antarctic Lesbians".

As a fan of Prison Break, I'm most impressed by Wolf Prison Break; because it took that main character about 3 months and at least a year of pre-planning to free his death-row brother -- the wolves managed it in a couple hours (at most)!

But yeah, quit teasing the attacks, CBS!

• Love 2

As a fan of Prison Break, I'm most impressed by Wolf Prison Break; because it took that main character about 3 months and at least a year of pre-planning to free his death-row brother -- the wolves managed it in a couple hours (at most)!

But yeah, quit teasing the attacks, CBS!

Mother cell infected wolves > Tattooed brother.  XD.

• Love 2

Jamie is accused of murder.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes she is offscreen in jail cell the entire episode.  They can  leave her there for all I care.

It would be too bad if Jamie was killed off by getting accidentally electrocuted by a rat gnawing through some electrical wire -- Different Show Spoiler:

because that would make it two shows she was killed off ('The Whispers') in two consecutive nights

.  One can hope.

Edited by CuriousParker
Spoiler Tag
  • Love 3

I am still waiting for the scene of the killer crows attacking the mom and the baby carriage.

I read this as 'cow' and immediately thought, 'Three things that could get you killed if animals turned on man - slaughter house, milking, and cow tipping.'

Death by retribution for cow tipping really needs to be a thing on this show.

• Love 5

I'm trying to figure out the meaning behind the episode title - does this mean we'll get to see some sleuth dogs who instead of sleuthing bears are  mauling their handlers? Or is it a typo and it should have read 'sloths'? That would be so much bettern.

But then - we didn't get any killer doves last week either.

I'm trying to figure out the meaning behind the episode title - does this mean we'll get to see some sleuth dogs who instead of sleuthing bears are  mauling their handlers? Or is it a typo and it should have read 'sloths'? That would be so much bettern.

Sleuth of bears, I think there was a sneak peek.

That was pretty bad.  Even for this show.

It's not just bears -- it's evolving new and improved super armored bears, now with an exo-skeleton.  Umm, how about no.

That's some pretty shitty security Reiden Global has if it can be defeated by an iPhone.

• Love 5

That was pretty bad.  Even for this show.

It's not just bears -- it's evolving new and improved super armored bears, now with an exo-skeleton.  Umm, how about no.

Animal attacks are still the only thing this show can offer, because everything else is complete bs.

Don't poke the bear.

So when the bear takes first human blood the defiant pupil retreats into hibernation to form an exo-skeleton that is thick enough to bend a needle jabbed into a waking bear (don't poke the bear) but not thick or strong enough to stop tranq guns.

• Love 2

The only reason I'm watching this crap now is Abraham.  And, like that bear from last week, even Abraham has to have wine to get through it.  I kind of figured what his backstory might be but it was even sadder that I thought. 

• Love 2

I had a couple of LOLs. I'm going to have to start taking notes if y'all can't keep up with the funny bits, heh.

One was when it turned out the bears had to be tranqed in their butts.

The Croo's latest battle is...bearly legal

http://previously.tv/zoo/the-zoo-croo-faces-down-very-tired-bears/

The Zoo Croo Faces Down Very Tired Bears

Excellent and amusing review by Joanna Yu. I agree, flying bears needed!

So didn't French spy lady's boss already have the names and selfies of her crew, and didn't he already meet them? Won't it then be pretty easy for him to compare the first set of names of the crew and the current list with one new, old-fashioned name and the same faces? Or are French spies more respectful of privacy than that?

I really hope Billy Burke's character is doing a double cross and not going over to the dark side just yet.

I'm thinking that an eco-terrorist is behind the mother cell.  I can think of no other reason that it wouldn't end up rapid evolving humans in addition to animals.  Its got to be bioengineered in some way.

And btw, why are they keeping the mother cell in one of those canisters you use to deposit a check through a pneumatic tube system at a bank. 

• Love 6
It's not just bears -- it's evolving new and improved super armored bears, now with an exo-skeleton.

Except Mitch didn't call it an exoskeleton (external skeleton), he called it an endoskeleton (internal skeleton, the kind bears already have) -- repeatedly.  Apparently the writers on this show don't have access to a dictionary.

• Love 1

That was pretty bad.  Even for this show.

That's some pretty shitty security Reiden Global has if it can be defeated by an iPhone.

Yeah I think this is the last episode of this show I can watch. I'll read the recaps and the forums just to see if there were any good animal attacks to tune in for but the STUPID HURTS.

What exactly does the FBI guy working for Reiden have to do with Reporter Lady shooting him while he was unarmed and leaving his corpse in a hotel stair well to bleed out and die? I mean who he worked for is irrelevant. SHE SHOT HIM TO DEATH. He was merely punching a guy so it wasn't exactly like she was defending others when she shot him 4 times in the chest instead of say threatening to shoot if he didn't get off Jackson.

*sigh* As usual the animals of the week show little to no menace to humans. Why exactly are these bears developing super skeletons or enhanced epidermis and not every other bear in the world? What is happening with the Lions now ? or the cats ? or the dogs ? Or the bats?

Every time they introduce a new animal threat they seem to move on with no real resolution. The bats may be deterred from one city... The lions are still presumably murdering their way through Africa. The cats are still plotting and the dogs are probably still murdering tourists for sport. I guess it doesn't matter much as long as you prove that the Mother Cell is responsible and find a way to engineer a cure to this in five minutes and distribute it worldwide to all species of animals. Yeah... a security system can be hacked by a video recording is the stupidest thing ever.

• Love 2

Animal attacks are still the only thing this show can offer, because everything else is complete bs.

The bears MIGHT have killed one guy this episode, but that was done days ago when the Zoo Croo was still in the US, so we didn't actually see the bears kill anyone.

So, if the Mothercell is accelerating evolution -- and the Mothercell is EVERYWHERE -- why aren't there more humans evolving besides Manson-lite ?

How did they get the Mothercell container on the plane ?  No way that makes it through the TSA checkpoints -- it was at least more than 3 oz.

Jamie kept saying that she shot an FBI agent, but Chloe confirmed that she killed him.  The first is pretty bad, the latter is really, really bad.  Chloe's explanation is that the body hasn't been found yet -- did they just leave Agent Shaffer's body in that stairwell or did they stash it somewhere ?  Even if they do find documents that Shaffer was on Reiden's payroll, she still killed a guy.  And they can't play it off as an accident since she shot him 3-4 times.

Did anyone else notice when they cut to that scene at Reiden's office lobby that one of the pedestrians, specifically a woman, was walking backwards, followed by a scene seconds later where the same woman was walking forwards ?  WTF ?

By the way, that fort that the bears were camped out in -- it looks exactly like the building in the season finale of True Detective Season 1.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Is the eyeball acting part of the plot? Chloe and her huge eyes, Jamie's eyes are constantly shifting like she's on drugs ... how long until they develop the defiant pupil?

Couple of great lines ... Abraham, where's the wine, and Mitch(?), drink this and it'll make more sense. 

• Love 2

"Nancy... Armstrong." D'oh! So close!

What did I say last week about tranquilising the bears?  Yet here they were again, still stupid and relying on some wacky, genetically mutated hibernation to keep them safe.  These are our saviours, people.

• Love 3

Except Mitch didn't call it an exoskeleton (external skeleton), he called it an endoskeleton (internal skeleton, the kind bears already have) -- repeatedly.  Apparently the writers on this show don't have access to a dictionary.

Well, it's not really an exoskeleton either though, right? It's under the skin and fur, possibly under the fascia?

Maybe it would be more accurately called a mesoskeleton?

• Love 2

By the way, that fort that the bears were camped out in -- it looks exactly like the building in the season finale of True Detective Season 1.

The fort.. which was a maze according to finace' guy... but seemed to have large openings all the way around and light streaming in from them to help you figure out where "outside" is. Was there supposed to be some underground layer to it that made it complicated? Even while they were walking down the halls, you could see the large "windows" letting in gobs of light.

• Love 1

Well, it's definitely Paris.  You can tell, because they're all quaffing large glasses of wine!

Quick, they have to prove that FBIguy was working for RG, because that will make murdering him in a stairwell all OK.  

I wonder why Goggle-Eye's civil-engineer ex-fiancee is heading up the bear-hunt?  

Bear-armor prevents Mitch from sticking him with a needle full of anesthetic, so quick thinking Mitch... sticks him with a needle full of RFID instead?

ETA:  I notice the credits still include zebras staring malevolently at some potential human victims.  I am watching specifically to see those zebras engage in gruesome slaughter.  That had better happen, or when TPTB get home from the season wrap-party, they just might find a few malevolent zebras waiting at home for them, left there by an irate viewer!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

Well, it's definitely Paris.  You can tell, because they're all quaffing large glasses of wine!

No baguettes though.

Between that and the True Detective fort, more like parish, non?

• Love 1

In an episode that featured ARMOR-PLATED BEARS, only one dead body? Stop disappointing me, Show!

There was a whole lotta dumb in this one --even more than usual. I'd make a list, but that would mean I'd have to re-watch.

I want to stick with this, but they're losing me. I might have to do a lot of fast-forwarding.

Armored bears?!  This show has lost its damn mind!  I mean, yes, there was some kind of bullshit excuse over how it's because the mother cell is somehow making animals genetically mutate and whatnot, but that is still the crazy damn thing I've ever seen outside of Under the Dome.  And it ends up not even being all that effective, since they can still get taken down by shots to the ass.  Some genetically mutations those are!

Steven Culp!  At long last, another Revolution actor finally joins the show!  He played President Truman on that show, although really, I"m pretty sure Steven Culp has appeared in almost everything.  But I love that it looks like he and Billy Burke will be sharing the screen a lot, so I can now imagine them in between takes, comparing these two shows and wondering how in the hell it's gotten to this point.

Meanwhile, we also meet Chloe's ex, who is none other then Simon Kassianides a.k.a. Bakshi from Agents of Shield.  I didn't even bother learning his character's name, because it was easier to just call him Bakshi.  Sort of like how I still think of Carl Lumbly's character as Dixon.  Either way, none of the stuff was all that interesting, since Chloe and her eye-bugging aren't that interesting.

On the other hand, the show for some reason is giving Abe a freaking dark backstory, and Nonso Anozie seems to be under the impression that he's on a legit show, by actually giving a great performance and bringing gravitas to the role.  The man commits no matter what: even when it's saying "The bears!" in the most suspenseful way possible.

Mitch getting slapped by the bear was the greatest thing ever.  And I love Mitch!  It was just so hilarious and the fact that Mitch had just said "Don't move!", made it look like the bear understood him and was all "Please!  I'm not a T-Rex, dick!" about it.  And considering he barely had a scratch, the bear really didn't put much of an effort into it.  Really, it was more of a love-tap.

Everything involving Jaime and her identity makes no damn sense to me.  First, Head Honcho Dixon said something about what if they find the body, so does that mean no one has found it yet?  I mean, I really doubt Jaime and Jackson dragged the body somewhere because I would have thought that would be mentioned, so does no one use those stairs at the hotel?  And, even then, why would Jaime be a suspect, unless their were cameras at that stairwell?  And, if so, wouldn't they have caught Jackson going at him too, so shouldn't he be getting a new identity as well?  None of this makes sense.  None of it!

Oh, Zoo.  You are so silly.  And, yet, I know I will keep on watching.

Well, it is filmed in Louisiana too, so that probably was the Yellow King's lair, I suspect.  Which means, now I'm going to wonder what it would be like if Rust and Martin were on this show.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I totally know what would happen: Martin would be cussing up a storm and shooting everything in sight, while Rust gives a long, rambling monologue, about how humankind brought this on themselves, and we should just embrace our animal overlords, before we get sent to Carcosa.  After all, time is a flat circle.  And, on this show, meaningless, since everyone can globe-trot anywhere at a moment's notice.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

...And btw, why are they keeping the mother cell in one of those canisters you use to deposit a check through a pneumatic tube system at a bank.

Ha ha ha ha! I knew it looked familiar! I'm picturing the prop guy going through the bank drive-through, seeing the canister, thinking, "Perfect!" and then driving off with it.

ETA: Missed opportunity: When Mitch guiltily slinked off with the Motherlode, if one of the Zoo Croo had said to him, "Shouldn't you leave that here?" he could have opened the door to the toilet and said, "I just have to make a deposit first."

Showing self out now.

Armored bears?!

Oh, Zoo. You are so silly. And, yet, I know I will keep on watching.

And that is precisely why I am watching.

Zoo, please stay silly. Better yet, dial the silly up further.

...Well, it is filmed in Louisiana too, so that probably was the Yellow King's lair, I suspect. Which means, now I'm going to wonder what it would be like if Rust and Martin were on this show. Oh, who am I kidding? I totally know what would happen: Martin would be cussing up a storm and shooting everything in sight, while Rust gives a long, rambling monologue, about how humankind brought this on themselves, and we should just embrace or animal overlords, before we get sent to Carcosa. After all, time is a flat circle. And, on this show, meaningless, since everyone can globe-trot anywhere at a moment's notice.

Now I really do wish they had encountered a couple of Rust and Marty wannabe lookalikes down there. More camp, please, Show. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

Okay, nevermind, the recap mentioned all the dumbness I was going to mention. But one more thing: when Jackson said to "stand your ground" with the Armor bears, I was all, what, huh? These are the very same people who know the animals are evolving and are against us -- this is NOT a normal bear situation! Yes, please stand still so the wussy French bears can do the least amount of work to maul you all.

• Love 2

I must have dozed off because I missed some of this "fun." (And a re-watch is just too painful.) So no explanation of what happened to the dead body of FBI guy? 

Am I a horrible person for saying that I am completely bored by the personal drama of each character that is weaving its way into the plot? When Frenchy EyeBalls' wedding dress popped out of armoire, I just groaned. Nor am I interested in Mitch's blackmail attempts to get the cure for his little girl.

Why doesn't James Wolk have more to do? He spends a lot of time explaining things to our Fearless Reporter/Murderer (who inexplicably was ready for sexy time with the now dead FBI guy).

*sigh* As usual the animals of the week show little to no menace to humans. Why exactly are these bears developing super skeletons or enhanced epidermis and not every other bear in the world? What is happening with the Lions now ? or the cats ? or the dogs ? Or the bats?

Every time they introduce a new animal threat they seem to move on with no real resolution. The bats may be deterred from one city... The lions are still presumably murdering their way through Africa. The cats are still plotting and the dogs are probably still murdering tourists for sport. I guess it doesn't matter much as long as you prove that the Mother Cell is responsible and find a way to engineer a cure to this in five minutes and distribute it worldwide to all species of animals. Yeah... a security system can be hacked by a video recording is the stupidest thing ever.

Well said!!!! It seems that these animals menace a particular group of humans and then stop. (I am particularly interested in the Brentwood kitties and their plan to attack the day camp kids. Did they abandon their plan simply because Fearless Reporter/Murderer called Animal Control?)  

I'm watching this show for the animals and not for the the endless exposition of weird science. Now, Mitch, our super scientist, needs to develop a vaccine that "cures" the animals. Cures them of what...the accelerated evolution process? What was the accelerated evolution leading to? If the crackerjack team has identified the solution so quickly, what will they do for the rest of the series? 

I really want to see what the great apes are doing. You know that they have to be a few steps ahead of our crackerjack team. They probably run Reiden Global from somewhere in the Congo. Maybe this will end with a "Planet of the Apes" scenario. At least that would be surprising because nothing else in this show is.

EDIT: that recap is hilarious.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 5

Well said!!!! It seems that these animals menace a particular group of humans and then stop. (I am particularly interested in the Brentwood kitties and their plan to attack the day camp kids. Did they abandon their plan simply because Fearless Reporter/Murderer called Animal Control?)  

I'm watching this show for the animals and not for the the endless exposition of weird science. Now, Mitch, our super scientist, needs to develop a vaccine that "cures" the animals. Cures them of what...the accelerated evolution process? What was the accelerated evolution leading to? If the crackerjack team has identified the solution so quickly, what will they do for the rest of the series? 

I do find it curious that Mitch wants to reverse the whole accelerated evolution of the entire animal kingdom. You'd think if it was that easy to reverse the effects of the problem that Evil Corp would have done it already. After all they presumably have billions of dollars at their disposal and entire departments of actual scientists to work on a solution and yet... Mitch will probably do it with a highschool chemistry lab's equipment and in a day in between federal crimes.

I don't know why any of these morons think hacking Reiden will cover their asses at this point. Also does Reporter Lady have any value to the team at the moment ? Why does French Lady care so much ?

• Love 2

Well, its a good thing I did not play a drinking game to how many times "Mother Cell" was said in this episode. Five times in just opening sequence, and 17 for the entire show. (Yes, I actually had a paper and made a tick mark for every utterance - what can I say, I was bored with all the talking, talking, talking, and no mauling, mauling, mauling). Would have been more, but they wasted time with bug-eye and reporter-murderer stories that I care nothing about. This show is supposed to be about animals running amuk! Where are the killer zebras????

Well, its a good thing I did not play a drinking game to how many times "Mother Cell" was said in this episode. Five times in just opening sequence, and 17 for the entire show. (Yes, I actually had a paper and made a tick mark for every utterance - what can I say, I was bored with all the talking, talking, talking, and no mauling, mauling, mauling). Would have been more, but they wasted time with bug-eye and reporter-murderer stories that I care nothing about. This show is supposed to be about animals running amuk! Where are the killer zebras????

Edited by Julie23
  • Love 2

Am I a horrible person for saying that I am completely bored by the personal drama of each character that is weaving its way into the plot?

Don't be, it's boring. All they have are animal attacks.

• Love 2

Jaimie nudged up a little in my estimation last week, but is back down to zero by choosing a name that is DIRECTLY tied to her. Her mother's name really? At first I thought Abraham was going to react with a "stupid girl, now we've got to get you another new identity" but no.

I was surprised (shouldn't have been) that they took trank guns to the bear cave instead of guns with hollow point bullets. The bears under-alls must be like Kevlar vests, so the chests are covered, but the butts are fair game.

• Love 3

Good lord, Zoo ... if your show and it's sad backstories cannot even keep the bears awake,  how do you expect to us, the endangered humans, to pay attention? 

(I actually did doze off at some point..) 

Girl Reporter seems to be missing a lot of logic when it comes to trying to get away with murder. It doesn't matter if he was an FBI agent or a homeless drifter -- you still need to show it was an act of self defense. And - you shot him with his own gun - so isn't there the option of hiding all evidence of involvement? 

When are the animal attacks going to begin in earnest? Get to it show , I'm getting sleepy... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 4

Was the point of this episode to prove that humans are smarter than the aver-er-age bear?  If so, it failed miserably.  This is still called Zoo, right?  So where are the animals.  Even though I say that every week, I still want to know.

So far the only animals I really see are dumbass homo sapiens.  I have no idea if I spelled that right.  If they are the hope for humanity, win for the animals.

• Love 2

I must have dozed off because I missed some of this "fun." (And a re-watch is just too painful.) So no explanation of what happened to the dead body of FBI guy? 

Am I a horrible person for saying that I am completely bored by the personal drama of each character that is weaving its way into the plot? When Frenchy EyeBalls' wedding dress popped out of armoire, I just groaned. Nor am I interested in Mitch's blackmail attempts to get the cure for his little girl.

Why doesn't James Wolk have more to do? He spends a lot of time explaining things to our Fearless Reporter/Murderer (who inexplicably was ready for sexy time with the now dead FBI guy).

I really want to see what the great apes are doing. You know that they have to be a few steps ahead of our crackerjack team. 

I try to not think about this show too much because it gives me a headache.  But this times a million.

• Love 1