Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: In the Trenches

Cranberry

Damn. This was the episode that made this my new favorite show. If the rest of the season can sustain this level of pacing and keep the stakes this high, I don't know how I'll be able to wait until Season 2.

The entire episode felt like an actual horror movie, which is all I've wanted for this series from the very beginning. And I still have no idea who The Killer(s) could be, and I love it. I also loved by girl, Brooke, being a badass. I need someone else to root for other than Emma, and Brooke is it.

• Love 2

Damn. That ending was really the first time this show genuinely shocked me. I honestly thought Emma and Will were just gonna go and watch movies LOL so naive of me. Good episode though. I'm happy that finally the whole cast is involved in this whole thing. And I'd prefer less of the stupid blackmail plot and more of the serial killer plot. I still feel like these people don't completely act like normal people but hey, it was fun watching them all in that bowling alley together.

Also, the killer HAS to be Kieran right?!?! But it's so obvious that it can't be. I have no idea who I think it is. I still don't trust Piper.

Also, maybe this is unpopular, but I'm hoping Brooke somehow survives all this.

Edited by Craphole Island
  • Love 3

Emma's dad was in the preview I wonder if he is the Killer or a red herring. Something happens to her for her to end up in the hospital. Please please don't let the Killer or Killers be Noah and Audrey

We're going to get three more episodes before the killer is revealed?

Don't get me wrong, I liked this episode.  I used to work at a bowling alley so I always like when one pops up in a show.  The rundown bowling alley was a pretty awesome set the locating/lighting was great for this episode.  And that over-the-top ending, wow!

Still, it feels like the identity of the killer (and maybe the story itself) doesn't need to be dragged out for another three episodes.

• Love 1

Man, that ending was so good and really fooled me. I thought Will and Emma were just going to hang out too. That was such a gruesome way for Will to die.

I thought this episode has been the best so far. It was so full of suspense and just overall great. I was afraid Brooke would die because I actually do like her.

I hope the killer is not Noah or Audrey because I like them both too. My primary suspects are Kieran who always seems to disappear and appear all of a sudden, and Piper.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 4

Just as I was complaining that the two useless asshole characters were not only still alive, but almost died and were still alive, they go and kill Will after all. I definitely thought they were setting up for some love triangle that nobody would care about, but thankfully that was nipped in the bud. Another thing to make Kieran look suspicious. But at this point, I feel like it's too obvious? But maybe the real surprise won't be who it is, but moreso why they're doing this and who they're working with. Those tend to be my favorite reveals.

If not Kieran, I still think Piper is very suspicious. The fact that Noah and Audrey acknowledged it could've all been a set up, but in reference to Jake and Will was interesting. I also think Branson is a likely suspect, because while they're showing Audrey and Noah being very suspicious of him, it's about something that we, the audience, know they're wrong about - the hidden cameras/filming stuff. So it's kind of being played so that we sort of ignore all the suspicious things about him (like the fact that there was a substitute for him this episode) because we view it all as wacky coincidences that are leading Noah/Audrey further into the wrong direction, except maybe not at all.

I also noticed the killer finally used a fake character voice again. Up until this point, it had always been the same app voice other than "Audrey" talking to Rachel before she died which I thought was suspicious, but now slightly less so. We also got confirmation that Maggie slept with Brandon, so the love child theory gets some more weight, shocker. Still hoping it doesn't go even further in the Harper's Island direction.

We're going to get three more episodes before the killer is revealed?

Don't get me wrong, I liked this episode.  I used to work at a bowling alley so I always like when one pops up in a show.  The rundown bowling alley was a pretty awesome set the locating/lighting was great for this episode.  And that over-the-top ending, wow!

Still, it feels like the identity of the killer (and maybe the story itself) doesn't need to be dragged out for another three episodes.

I can see them revealing the killer at the end of the second last episode to give maximum time to explain motives and everything, since the motive is always very important in Scream. I also think this is why so few people have died. They really haven't introduced a lot of canon fodder, so by killing the main characters off too fast, it'd be narrowing the suspect pool down too much too soon. But we're nearing the end, so let's go.

Ok, so Emma's dad mentions Daisy sleeping with Brandon on the tape. Emma having a lost long sibling is a real possibility now. They still haven't revealed Audrey's connection to Brandon and her DNA. I assume Audrey's father isn't related to Brandon since that would be obvious to the town, I would think. More importantly, they're painting Emma's dad as a suspect. The killer frequently calls Emma's mom a whore.

Some key observations: 

1) As some have pointed out, Piper fits the age range as the possible sibling. Also, she was present when Will got kidnapped, but she was MIA during the bowling alley scenes. She also led Emma to Will. Is she a real suspect? I personally don't think she's the killer, but she could be involved.

2) Mr. B missed class. I wonder what he was up to the entire day.

3) Kieran was awfully conveniently close by the bowling alley when the Killer disappeared. Coincidence? Dude is suspect, but it's just too obvious at this point. 

4) Brooke isn't the useless little princess we might think she is. She's not dumb and ditzy. She seems a lot smarter and resourceful than I would have given her credit for. I think ends up being part of the final core. Also, I think it's possible her father didn't kill her mom. Seemed too obvious from the getgo. Maybe it's a hooker or something, and Brooke holds it against him going forward.

5) Jake suspecting Noah and vice versa was funny, but they both made some valid points. Reminded me of Stu trying to convince Randy that the killer was Sydney's Father.

7) I'd love to remove Audrey from the suspect list, but I just can't. 

6) This episode reaffirmed there are multiple motives at play with the murders, the Brandon James storyline, and the recent drama between these characters. At some point, some who have worn the mask are not directly linked to the killer(s). The whole "killer disappearing" comment only means to me that the person wearing the Brandon James mask was actually there the entire time (Jake and/or Kieran). Also, Audrey could have worn the mask, dumped it off to Kieran, and had him take over at the bowling alley while she went over to Emma's playing dumb. Many possibilities. 

And finally,

I find Daisy's demeanor throughout this entire ordeal is just straight up odd. Something ain't right there. The fact she kept Brandon's charm this entire time is weird. She's guarding lots of secrets. 

• Love 3

Someone could have killed the person that Brooke's dad was trying to dispose of, and tried to set him up. 

Jake could have stabbed himself.

Will's death was brutal. 

Kieran - maybe too obvious. 

Piper - suspicious. 

Teacher - could have been involved.

I really like Noah. "Cue creepy music. I knew something was missing." I do like that they have me suspecting almost everyone. Tonight's episode was tge first one I've enjoyed since the premiere.

I'm still thinking Kieran and Piper, but it seems too obvious. Did anyone else catch the weird look Noah and Brooke gave each other when they were watching Emma comfort Will in the bowling alley? They're my new "left field" possibility. I still can't discount Audrey entirely (I wish I could; I want her in the gang for season two). There have to be two killers though, right? The only way to really deflect suspicion is to have a solid alibi while at least one of the murders/attempted murders is being committed. I think we've seen pretty much everyone elsewhere while someone was dying (or we've seen them seemingly being menaced by the person in the mask).

Definitely think they're going with the "long-lost half sibling" thing now that we know Emma's mom slept with Brandon. Bringing Emma's (angry-sounding) dad into the story gives more weight to the theory that he's the one who committed the original murders and pinned them on Brandon, too.

Anyway, I enjoyed this one. I figured that Will would be a goner, but they sure waited until the last second (the last 11 seconds!) to off him. I was hoping that we'd get a double murder this episode with Jake, but alas, looks like we have to wait.

• Love 1

You know I expected another mediocre episode of Scream but was pleasantly surprised how entertaining I found this episode. There were clever or amusing quips and a brutal death at the end. Reminded me a little of season 1 of Teen Wolf except with less shirtless males...

I have no idea if Keiran is supposed to be a fake out suspect or a double fake out suspect. I'm guessing Brandon James knows some good hiding spots from his days at the bowling alley, a crawlspace the cops overlooked.

I love that I really have no clue who the killer is. But Piper and Branson are at the top of my list. They're both just so darn creepy.

I almost started to warm up to Will..and then that happened. Damn.

And I never thought I would like Brooke but she was great this episode. More of her and Noah, please. And though I really, really want Noah to be innocent and survive, I bet the actor would be fantastic as the evil killer.

Kieran and Jake are too obvious..though Brooke's smile in the ambulance was a little odd.

Edited by CrazyDog

One thing I keep forgetting to mention is how much I like the different hashtags that they put on the screen at various points.

In episode 2, while Noah was giving a speech in class, they had #NoahKnowsBest, when Riley was running from the killer, they had #RunRileyRun, and this episode they had #WhereIsWill, #IsItNoah, and #IsItJake

As for the episode, I fucking knew it! That farming equipment was a giant chainsaw on wheels!

Candidate for most brutal death in the franchise? I wish this show was on Premium Cable, at times. We probably would have gotten to see more of it if it were, though all the blood that splattered on Emma was a pretty good indicator.

And I realize that this is going to be the Nth time that I've made a comparison to Harper's Island, but I feel that this was this show's version of the episode Thwack -- ended with a brutal, messy, out in the open death that happened due to a tricked device that activated it, that were both triggered by the series' focal character. Only difference is here, the trap was designed to be tripped by Emma, and it was just a coincidence that Abby set off that one in Harper's Island.

That final scene could've been straight out of Harper's Island. I haven't gotten that vibe in earlier episodes, but it was the first thing I thought of after this one. Definitely feeling this show a lot more now. The acting leaves a lot to be desired, but I still find the characters likable.

My second thought was... Emma, you're being sprayed with bloody chunks of flesh. Close your damn mouth!

• Love 2

Will's death reminded me of a Mad Men episode where all of those office workers are being spattered with blood after the lawnmower incident.

The show is doing a good job of keeping me guessing as to who the killers are.

Piper is definitely in my top three.

Brooke keeps getting lucky. I don't know...

I liked Noah objecting to splitting up and searching in teams of two. These people really don't seem like they're terrified over the fact that they're being stalked by a serial killer.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

I still think to possible that we have two sets of killers (this is how they can pick things up in season two if they are not going the Anthology route).

I still don't buy that the killer who lawnmowered Will allowed both him and Jake to escape basically unscathed the first time. So Noah's theory and what Jake and Will did makes sense to me. They could be killer set #1.

The question is who comprises killer set #2? Set #2 is the real mystery to me. Is it Piper and Keiran (although I agree Keiran is looking too obvious at this point)? Emma's mom and Piper if we believe Piper is Emma's sister? Keiran and his Dad with the reveal that Cop Doofy is Brandon's brother? Keiran his Dad and Piper? Emma's Mom is Shady McGrady, but who would. She be paired with, Brandon, her love child with Brandon? Brook could be in it up to her eyeballs, as this was the first episode where I thought she could be the mastermind behind it all (way too short to be one of the killers we have seen). And as much as I hate to say it, I found Audrey's reaction to Noah's call strange, which means I can't rule her or possibly Noah out.

Why is Deputy Dumb back on the case and the only competent adult we saw Detective Brock gone (was her non-parental questioning of Audrey serious enough to merit that, I mean the evidence she was prevented pointed in Audrey's direction so it wasn't a witch hunt? What was the point of her being brought on if Barney Fife was going to be back in charge once more.

• Love 1

Crap. I liked Will but I read the next episode's summary by accident and knew Will won't make it.

But it's kinda awesome that they led us to think he's off the hook then murder him gruesomely at the end.

I'm getting Harper Island's Chloe vibe from Brooke. She may haven't reached that level of awesomeness but she's getting there. She's sassy, bitchy and she's more than meets the eye.

My suspect number one is still Kieran with Audrey as accessory. (Mid Exams huh?)

My suspect number one is still Kieran with Audrey as accessory. (Mid Exams huh?)

In order for Audrey to be lying about that, Noah would have to be in on it. Besides when informed Emma and Co. seemed to co-sign, which means unless you get a teacher contradicting, it is likely true. Besides, if she was absent for the tests, which they said happened do to being in custody, she would have to make them up and most likely make them up after school. It happens in my school all the time, so I don't find that suspicious.

I didn't find the make up exam or whatever it was too suspicious, but it was probably done to keep the question of Audrey on the table (but also as a way to get the cops there eventually to save them). The only thing that personally made me suspicious about Audrey this episode was when Noah pointed out to to Emma that the killer is trying to make her responsible for people's deaths, which was what the cop lady told Emma she'd be if Audrey was the killer and she lied for her. But considering we saw Audrey try to call Noah first and only called Emma when she didn't get an answer from him, it didn't appear like Audrey was purposely setting it up for it all to be Emma's call or her responsibility.

• Love 1

Poor stupid Will.

I am really liking Kieran as the killer. Well if it isn't Audrey.

Also....I am thinking Emma is Brandon James's daughter. Which explains why dad isn't around. He found out he isn't her father. Or maybe he knew the whole time and could no longer live with the truth.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Poor stupid Will.

I am really liking Kieran as the killer. Well if it isn't Audrey.

Also....I am thinking Emma is Brandon James's daughter. Which explains why dad isn't around. He found out he isn't her father. Or maybe he knew the whole time and could no longer live with the truth.

The Brandon James killings happened twenty-one years ago (it was dated as happening in 1994 in the first episode). Emma is too young to be a child conceived back then. The best bet would be Piper.

The Brandon James killings happened twenty-one years ago (it was dated as happening in 1994 in the first episode). Emma is too young to be a child conceived back then. The best bet would be Piper.

Yep, I'm definitely going with Piper being a child given up for adoption and one of the killers.

• Love 1
My second thought was... Emma, you're being sprayed with bloody chunks of flesh. Close your damn mouth!

Seriously, that actress is really mediocre. She's not all out awful (like as much as I like Brooke, some of the actress' line readings, particularly in the confrontation scene with her dad, were cringe worthy) but she just comes across so passively calm most of the times. Like I never get a real, genuine sense of urgency from her and I'm sorry, girl is standing there watching someone she cared for or hell just watching another person period, be pulled apart limb by limb and there was like virtually no expression on her face. I get shock but that wasn't shock, that was "let me just hang my mouth open in surprise..." They really should have re-shot that scene because it almost took me out of the awesome horror of the moment. 

I still don't buy that the killer who lawnmowered Will allowed both him and Jake to escape basically unscathed the first time. So Noah's theory and what Jake and Will did makes sense to me. They could be killer set #1.

I don't think the killer allowed Will to live - I think he decided to play a longer game with Emma this time and make her think she got a win so the kill would be even sweeter. And he did say to her, before she realized he had Will again, that he'd hoped she'd have more pride and not go running back to Will. So in other words it was like one big test against her again. See how she reacts to him being in danger which I know is like one big flashing sign that it's Kieran but yeah, he's definitely starting to seem way too obvious. But like I said last week, I almost wonder if maybe the writers are just mediocre and don't realize they're making it so obvious. 

Now Jake, I can definitely buy the theory that he stabbed himself. Unlike with Will where we did actually see him get stabbed by the masked killer and then dragged, Jake just conveniently went to take the longest wiz ever, the killer popped out at Brooke causing her to have to run and take off and then later she finds Jake stabbed, which means we the viewers never actually saw it happen. Yeah that was suspicious. I can definitely buy Jake being in on it. At first he seemed too obvious because he was such a douche but I imagine this might be like the original Scream, where one of the killers had a real vendetta and the other idiot friend just came onboard because he thought killing people was cool. 

In this case, Jake is clearly an awful little shit who I can totally see being in on this, but he's not the mastermind. No the mastermind is the one with the real grudge against Emma's mother and by that token Emma. It's why I can't see it being Brooke or Audrey or Noah, unless any of those is the love child of Brandon James or some long lost relative or something. It definitely is starting to seem too obvious but it really does seem to point to Piper.

And while Kieran is seeming too obvious as well, I kind of hope he's involved just so I'll feel like his annoying creepiness will have made sense. I don't know if the director and actor really think they're achieving "mysterious and cool" with this guy but honestly this episode just sealed him as really, really fucking annoying to me. And he just seems so unpleasant - that dinner with Emma's mom and his dad was a total WTF. He clearly does not like his father, another sign pointing to him likely being involved in all this. And his whole whispery, creepy, quiet voice, constant serious face and whole "I'm just so disappointed in you right now" schtick...just ugh. Honestly, I found myself actually enjoying Will and Jake more than that tool, this episode. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I'm back in.  After reading here that there was an actual death, I tuned back in.  It's faint praise, but yes, this was the best episode of the season by far.

• Kieran is Most Obvious Suspect, so he didn't do it.
  • We still don't know for sure Audrey was taking that test.
  • Jake went to the bathroom and showed up 15 minutes later skewered non-lethally
  • Branson is a no show

Right now, my money's on Piper aka Daisy James and her partner in crime Jake.

• Love 1

Still a suspect, not sure, but Noah did have some great lines this episode. I agree about Jake and his looong bathroom break being suspicious. Either he is involved or he decided to drop a deuce while in there.

Not to sound gory, but I was pleasantly surprised by Will's death thought we were gonna have another no one dies epidode. Then he dies in a gross in your face kind of "Final Destination" way.

I like Brooke's character but they need to work on the dark circles under her eyes makes the rest of the cast look like pre-schoolers next to her!

I think the no one dies episodes are over. The string if them was to "get us to like" the characters so "we feel their deaths". Like Noah said during the first episode. Now that Will is dead I think the bloodbath will officially start.

I think the no one dies episodes are over. The string if them was to "get us to like" the characters so "we feel their deaths".

Well, that was a huge failure, I don't remember a more unlikable group of TV teenagers played by actors in their twenties.

Now that Will is dead I think the bloodbath will officially start.

I am so down for that!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3

I actually really enjoyed episode 6 as well, but I think that's mostly because it was Audrey-heavy and I like her. I like Noah too, and Emma and Brooke have been growing on me lately. Everyone else can go die in a fire (or a farm machinery trap) for all I care, though.

I enjoy the AfterEllen recaps for this show. From the one for this episode:

When we last saw our heroes, Emma was lying to get Audrey off the hook, and Will was being stabbed and dragged away by the killer. The stress of waiting for this episode has been nearly unbearable; I’ve been worrying all week that Will might survive.

Will finally comes to, and Emma is sobbing and caressing his hair, because there’s nothing like almost losing somebody to make you realize how marginally tolerable he really is.

They open the door and Ghostface attacks. How long do you think he stood there waiting for this moment? I’m guessing he’s been checking his watch and tapping his foot for like two minutes now.

He’s not quite dead yet, and Brooke promises that she’ll save him and they’ll totally make out. Then she pulls the knife out. Come on, who doesn’t know that you don’t do that? Folks, public service announcement: don’t pull a knife out of a stab wound unless you are a medical professional! That knife is holding the blood inside. If you pull it out, the blood will be on the outside. THAT IS NOT WHERE YOU WANT IT.

She runs into the backyard, where Will is tied to a chair in front of some kind of heavy-duty farm equipment. Attempting to save him, Emma stumbles over a trip wire, triggering the machine to CUT WILL THE FUCK IN HALF. It is by far the most metal thing that has ever happened on this show.

The recapper also refuses to learn Jake's name, so seeing all of the names she calls him instead (Jedro, Jaron, Jamband, Jorgan, Jorothy, etc.) always makes me laugh.

• Love 2

One thing that bugged me in this episode is why they don't show the Brandon-Face vs Jake showdown? I mean this is Scream so no matter how unimportant and annoying that character is, we'd love to see how he got that knife stuck in his chest! Or this just proved that Jake is the other Ghostface and he stabbed himself to fool people (but then he did let Brooke dangerously and amateurishly remove the knife)

One thing that bugged me in this episode is why they don't show the Brandon-Face vs Jake showdown? I mean this is Scream so no matter how unimportant and annoying that character is, we'd love to see how he got that knife stuck in his chest! Or this just proved that Jake is the other Ghostface and he stabbed himself to fool people (but then he did let Brooke dangerously and amateurishly remove the knife)

I think not showing it was deliberate and I think it was a smart move. It allows for suspicion about Jake being in on the killing and can go either way. It may turn out he wasn't and really stabbed or he is on it. But this way there is enough evidence to go either way.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Or this just proved that Jake is the other Ghostface and he stabbed himself to fool people (but then he did let Brooke dangerously and amateurishly remove the knife)

I was sure it was going to be a fake knife and he was going to stab Brooke when she came over to pull it out.  I was kind of disappointed when it wasn't.

• Love 1

I was sure it was going to be a fake knife and he was going to stab Brooke when she came over to pull it out. I was kind of disappointed when it wasn't.

I was certain it was a fake knife, and he was just joking/being a total dick to Brooke.

• Love 2

I was sure it was going to be a fake knife and he was going to stab Brooke when she came over to pull it out. I was kind of disappointed when it wasn't.

I want Jake to be one of the killers and was thinking he was gonna stab Brooke right there or the killer was gonna pop up and kill Brooke right there

Jake stabbed himself. The masked killer uses his own knife to slash away. Jake was stabbed with the knife he brought. The killer potentially would have had to disarm Jake, but then why stop to pick up Jake's knife when he has his own? Why only stab him once? And why leave it in instead of letting him bleed out? And if Jake had been stabbed by the killer, why let Brooke pull it out? Because Jake stabbed himself and knew he hadn't hit any major arteries. But it would've been a hilarious plot twist if Jake, having been in on the serial murders, died accidentally, because Brooke pulled the knife out without thinking and he bled to death. 

• Love 2

I have been watching this on Netflix.  The title of this episode made me nervous.  The equipment Will was using in an earlier episode is a trench digger.  This episode was titled "In the Trenches". I knew someone was going to be killed with the trench digger this episode.

• Love 2

I have been watching this on Netflix. The title of this episode made me nervous. The equipment Will was using in an earlier episode is a trench digger. This episode was titled "In the Trenches". I knew someone was going to be killed with the trench digger this episode.

It's on Netflix, already? I had no idea.

And thanks for explaining exactly what that chainsaw on wheels really is and what its purpose is.

Damn. That is how I want this show to do murders. That was fun and gruesome and I felt a twinge of sympathy for Will. Well, goodbye Doucheface #1, you will probably not be missed by anyone. 

I was really hoping this would be a three-der, where Brooke accidentally kills Jake by pulling the knife out, followed by Fauxface coming in and stabbing Brooke in the neck. I'm sorry, but Brooke's actress is awful and I don't care about a redemption arc with this chick. I just don't care about her, period. They can absolutely replace Brooke easily with a better and more likable actress. Also, Jake was stabbed in, or near, the heart. How the hell did he survive? Goddamnit.

I don't know about Audrey; I think they could be trying to keep her as a suspect by making her be conspicuously absent, much like Kieran. But I don't know if this show is smart enough, at least when it comes to Kieran. He's just out of the action enough, but he's too involved in Emma to not be involved somehow. Also, he drove to find Emma. He conveniently shows up after the killer disappears, and the last time we saw him, it was before the killer attacked. So...yeah, either they're trying to trick us, or Kieran really is in on it.