Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Live TV

• Start Topic

In this week's challenges, the Finalists learn that there are no second takes in live TV. After cooking and demoing a dish based on an assigned theme, the Finalists cook a dish and host their own segment of a live ensemble show. The Kitchen's Jeff Mauro and Katie Lee assist Giada De Laurentiis and Bobby Flay in determining which Finalist had the worst performance.

I had to rewind to be sure, but Jay was holding his tray of tarts out of the oven with bare hands for a second there. I'd love to know how much time they REALLY have to cook something. Because that told me we're being catfished.

I hate being catfished.

Eddie... I cannot love you any more than I already do. I'd watch you make a BLT.

An OT tidbit: This was the episode I was on the list for to be in the audience but didn't get the call. They wanted SAG union members and even though I've worked as an extra in films a lot, I do not belong to the union. I would have been notified if they couldn't find enough SAG members, or so I was told. It was filmed March 8 in L.A. Now that I know Eddie and Arnold were there, I'm really bummed.

More than in any episode, Alex reminded me of my younger sister with his hair fiddling and mannerisms. Why did Jay serve a drink in a ramekin to the judges, but not the ones they drank on camera? That was so weird. In spite of whatever Jay does, he's not someone I want to watch. There's just something about him that unnerves me. As has been mentioned before, he's selling too hard.... I keep waiting for him to whip out a container of Oxy-Clean.

Arnold has a hamster in a wheel in his brain. Loved that analogy, Jeff. :)

• Love 11

Really Giada?!  You faked out Arnold like that?!  That was just stupid to me.

So does anyone else have a feeling that they send Dom packing last week b/c they knew this challenge was coming up and he would be an utter train-wreck doing a "live" segment for five minutes?  I really think they knew that sending him packing last week so he could work his way up the ranks in Star Salvation is the master plan here.

So i'm guessing this new weekly live show they put on is basically the FN's way of saying screw you to Rachel Ray's talk show.  I enjoyed having Rachel cook w/ the contestants...she seemed to really put them at ease.

When Eddie was grilling those burgers, how did he not burn his hand when he checked them on the grill?  The flames came up and enveloped his hand yet he didn't pull it back at all?!

I can't believe w/ Jeff Mauro the ex-Sandwich King they didn't have Alex go bananas over meeting him or have Alex bring up in a talking head about this being who he wants to be basically.  There were not mentions or parallels at all.

Alex you f-ing chose ramen for a summer food?!  Idiot!  I can't figure out why he started out in the sandwich corner when he really wants to do Asian food...own what you want to do dude.

I did find it odd that the judges, Giada mostly, said that Alex made no connection to his choice for fixing ramen when he actually did.  He said it on camera.  There is video-taped proof.

Jay's five minute segment had me scared when he basically got the tarts done and tasted w/ 2 minutes to spare...then he brought out the drinks.  He knew all along what he was doing and planned it out accordingly like a producer.  It was strange like mentioned upthread as to why they were served in a ramekin. 

I do think at this point that Eddie will be the winner here, but if they don't give Jay a show as well I would really be surprised.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

Alex and Arnold made me nervous while they were on camera. And I like Eddie saying he was going to tackle one of them.

I can't believe Jay made those stupid snacks. What was he thinking?

• Love 1

OMG Jay's voice during this episode was like nails on a chalkboard.  I wanted to mute him so badly.  I could never watch his show.  Eddie, however, I'd watch!

I forgot how good looking Jeff Mauro was.  He was a good judge tonight.

• Love 3

I had to rewind to be sure, but Jay was holding his tray of tarts out of the oven with bare hands for a second there.

I noticed that he was handling a hot tart, too.

Katie Lee has a voice that feels like a drill going through my skull. But her "Nothing says summer like bacon ramen!" was my highlight for the episode.

Ha! I agree re: the line. And about her voice as well. She reminds me of Joanna Barnes' Gloria Upson from "Auntie Mame." And if I didn't know who her father was*, I'd swear he'd soon be on the show to demonstrate how to make a really top-drawer daiquiri with honey.

* OOPS, Apparently I REALLY don't know who her father is. My apologies...

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2

Curses on you Gee-Ahda for giving me hope that Arnold was being sent on his way.  Poor ole Arnold really has a case of resting b*^#h face at times.  He manner of speaking is way too s****** for a TV show.  He talks a mile a minute.

Eddie and Jay both were great tonight!

• Love 3

Giada's chest area really concerned me in the final judging. I couldn't tell if I was looking at sweat beads or shimmering, leathery skin -- but that coupled with her smushed, crooked bosom was really distracting. 

Eddie! Eddie! EDDIE!

• Love 3

I would say it was the food that gave Arnold the edge over Alex to stay.  Neither one of them was good in the presentation, but Arnold's food fit the challenge better.  Hey, at least he managed to cook his shrimp this time.  

I was kind of surprised that Jay did not do a grilled fruit dessert since the set had the indoor grill there.  Unless of course there was not any good fresh fruit to choose from.

Edited by smiley13

Thank you cooksdelight!  Weirdest tornado warning ever. Storm blew through really fast. 

Alex was way past his expiration date. He wasn't a really great cook and wasn't very good on camera either. The ramen was such an odd, inappropriate choice. I don't think he really ever knew what his POV was. 

• Love 1

Giada's chest area really concerned me in the final judging. I couldn't tell if I was looking at sweat beads or shimmering, leathery skin -- but that coupled with her smushed, crooked bosom was really distracting. 

Eddie! Eddie! EDDIE!

I think she'd been playing in Jade's Pretty, Pretty Princess glitter makeup. She should start wearing some support for those girls.

• Love 4

Grilled pineapple, sprinkled with some spice. with a chocolate drizzle would have had me at hello.

I think some of these guys don't think like us girls when it comes to desserts. :)

Thank you cooksdelight!  Weirdest tornado warning ever. Storm blew through really fast. 

Alex was way past his expiration date. He wasn't a really great cook and wasn't very good on camera either. The ramen was such an odd, inappropriate choice. I don't think he really ever knew what his POV was.

We get storm warnings here in WNC all the time, we're supposed to be immune because of the mountains but someone forgot to tell God about that. :(

Alex just never "brought it", for me. He was just... there... not really telling me anything that would make me want to eat his food. Which I think is key. Sell me something.

Grilled pineapple, sprinkled with some spice. with a chocolate drizzle would have had me at hello.

I think some of these guys don't think like us girls when it comes to desserts. :)

I was thinking grilled peaches.  But since this was back in March, who knows what fresh fruit was available in the pantry for them to choose from since this was not a challenge where they sent them out shopping for their own ingredients.

I find it hard to believe that the pantry just happened to have ramen noodles in it.  So much of this often comes across as far fetched.  And they just happened to have fresh shrimp on hand and everything else they needed.

I was thinking grilled peaches.  But since this was back in March, who knows what fresh fruit was available in the pantry for them to choose from since this was not a challenge where they sent them out shopping for their own ingredients.

I find it hard to believe that the pantry just happened to have ramen noodles in it.  So much of this often comes across as far fetched.  And they just happened to have fresh shrimp on hand and everything else they needed.

They were in Los Angeles with Whole Foods supplying them everthing... so, who knows. It's all becoming more and more hard to believe, for me.

Alex never had a chance, but I still wish he'd made a giant sub that folks could slice off their own piece. So easy and appropriate for a summer reunion. 

I love the OxyClean comparison for Jay - but I felt as though he was less Oxy today. Seemed more himself. 

Arnold is a hot mess, but I still think he needs some night show like "Dish the Dish". Cook food and dish gossip....etc. 

• Love 4

They were in Los Angeles with Whole Foods supplying them everthing... so, who knows. It's all becoming more and more hard to believe, for me.

Some challenges show them running and grabbing food items before someone else gets them, but I do not recall that being the case this week.

Once they all decided what to cook, they may have had someone run get all the necessary ingredients. 45 minutes to cook probably doesn't mean there's not sometimes a delay before they start cooking/filming. I'd guess there's a lot of "hurry up and wait" going on.

• Love 1

Alex never had a chance, but I still wish he'd made a giant sub that folks could slice off their own piece. So easy and appropriate for a summer reunion.

Yeah, that would've been a great idea. And there's so many ways he could've incorporated the guys into a segment on sandwiches.

But what am I saying? I'm glad he's gone, so I'm actually happy he made bacon ramen. For a summer family reunion.

• Love 1

Once they all decided what to cook, they may have had someone run get all the necessary ingredients. 45 minutes to cook probably doesn't mean there's not sometimes a delay before they start cooking/filming. I'd guess there's a lot of "hurry up and wait" going on.

Yes, given I saw Jay holding what should have been a hot pan out of the oven with his bare hands, I'm really not buying anything from this episode.

• Love 1

What tonight's episode showed me is that only Eddie and Jay are really ready to be on a FN show, at least without a lot more prep-work and hand-holding. Both of them are consistently the most comfortable on camera and they're the only two who understood to pull in the others during their segments. And I thought Eddie showed excellent instincts for what to say to keep things moving during Alex and Arnold's parts.

Of everyone left, including those on Star Salvation, Eddie is really the only one I'd like to see a show from. He'd bring some much-needed diversity to the channel, and I don't mean his race. FN has plenty of Southern cooking shows, plenty of good ol' boys, plenty of Italian cooks... What they don't have is a hot, fit guy showing us tasty, good for you food with a Caribbean bent. Actually, I can live without the Carribean thing and hope he drops it from his POV. Just show me good-tasting, good for me food. And maybe demonstrate the correct form for push-ups from time to time. Shirtless or not, your call.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 16

I thought at the end once they are safe they leave and the ones in jeopardy stay? Tonight, did everyone stay until they announced the one that was leaving?  Eddie needs to tone down the "wow there is a pretty woman nearby" thing, as it just feeds into a stereotype about professional athletes, current and former.  For one, he has proven he can be charming without throwing in those types of comments. 

I have to say I also find Arnold exhausting.  I think he would be ok in small doses, like a web series or where he pops up to offer a quick, specific tip on something, but not a whole show. 

Alex, no way, I have no interest in watching either Alex or Dom come back as a result of Star Salvation

Jay or Eddie..I could watch a show with either depending on the point of view, but Jay seems more and more rehearsed to me every week.  I give him credit, however, for knowing what he needs to do to win. 

Eddie! Eddie! EDDIE!

Haha, I thought it was only me! I kept thinking, "Is she wearing sparkly glitter lotion?"

They could give him a segment about the Donner Party and he'd say "Hi I'm Jay and I love eating the flesh of my fellow cross country travelers when we get stranded."

I'd love to see someone spring that on Kermit and Medusa as their POV in Week One.

Ha! I agree re: the line. And about her voice as well. She reminds me of Joanna Barnes' Gloria Upson from "Auntie Mame." And if I didn't know who her father was, I'd swear he'd soon be on the show to demonstrate how to make a really top-drawer daiquiri with honey.

Who is her father? I know she used to be married to Billy Joel, but I've never heard anything about her having a famous father. I thought the Joel connection was her only claim to fame.

Who is [Katie Lee's] father? I know she used to be married to Billy Joel, but I've never heard anything about her having a famous father. I thought the Joel connection was her only claim to fame.

ARGH! D'oh! I totally thought he was her daughter. Shows how much I keep up with Billy Joel news. My apologies. :P

In any event... She sounds like Gloria Upson--even though she grew up in W. Virginia, she has that 50's Connecticut prep-school-girl tone in her voice. So maybe her father WILL have us over for daiquiris with honey!

Edited by ivygirl

Alex made ramen to not have to admit to using Jeff's POV right? I have to think that wouldn't have happened with a different guest.

It's funny. Jeff's been a little snarky about Alex in his blog for Food Network Star. Last week he called him out for using some line about sandwiches Jeff had used when he was a contestant. He went on to say he knew he'd been hard on Alex but he respected him and his cooking. Still, I find it interesting that neither one of them ever mentioned the sandwich thing when they were on together.

Where was Giada? Why did she show up suddenly after they had cooked their live segment foods?

Jay's tarts looked awful. They needed something like whipped cream and a chocolate or caramel drizzle over the top.

Why would one make a bacon dish in honor of an Indonesian family reunion?

• Love 3

Ditto for me too seeing Jay handling a (supposedly) hot pan.  I saw him holding the pan one second, then flipping those hot tarts over the next second - But I'm thinking, did he flip the hot tarts into a cold pan and that's what we saw him handling out of sequence?  I'm all confused now - Will have to re-watch later.

I don't know what the judges see in Jay.  They think he seems so comfortable - Katie Lee acted like he made her feel relaxed - Seriously?  He relaxes me like an OxyClean commercial relaxes me, which means not at all, thanks to that wonderful analogy.

Eddie killed it this episode - I actually found myself liking him more, although I confess I just can't be in love with him.  I suppose he's growing on me.  Arnold is showing himself to be less ready than he seemed to be before - He can't shut up!

Why do I have the feeling Alex was told not to make a sandwich by production because of Jeff being there?  So what does he do but make SOUP, what a jerk, no wonder he went home.  And he was never good on TV either.

As for Dom coming back next week, if they have any more challenges like this one he'll be back out the door in no time.  Unless like last year with Luca we see a "new and improved" version of Dom.  I'm not holding out much hope of that, though.

I too wonder why they didn't use the "Rachael Ray Show" this year for the live demos.  At least that was a real TV show with a real audience.  Although the RR show is filmed in NYC and they're still out in Los Angeles - But wasn't that true last year too?  By this time shouldn't they be back in NYC? 

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

No surprise, Alex just wasn't getting it, it was past the time he should have been gone. I'm guessing Arnold is next & then Jay & Eddie duke it out for the win.

• Love 2

In any event... She sounds like Gloria Upson--even though she grew up in W. Virginia, she has that 50's Connecticut prep-school-girl tone in her voice. So maybe her father WILL have us over for daiquiris with honey!

I've lived in CT for almost 25 years - I see what you mean kind of - They both have a certain de-nasal quality that's quite annoying.  Actually, although it wasn't as annoying with Katherine Hepburn, who I think also had it - She was from Hartford, but I live near Hartford and never met anyone from Hartford with an accent even close to hers - Even an older person.  Locals have told me it was probably acquired either in finishing or acting school, and this article might also help to explain it:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-katharine-hepburns-fake-accent/278505/

I suppose any similarity with Katie Lee's manner of speaking might be purely coincidental.

• Love 2

I think they're not using Rachael Ray because she really has no presence on "The Network" anymore. Even the kids who get stuck on her team in Rachael vs. Guy don't really know who she is; they all want to be on Guy's team. Did they even film that show again this year? If not, she has zero shows in production. 

They've flown in the contestants to do her show before, so this is definitely a departure for FNS. 

• Love 1

Alex has had this split personality thing going all season. Is he Sandwich King, The Sequel or Asian Food Guy? Occasionally it would all come together when he made an Asian-inspired sandwich. But too often (like tonight) it felt like he just cooked what he wanted and then tried to make it fit some theme. I generally don't want to hear personal stories, but tonight I felt the whole "the only family reunion I've ever been to was in Indonesia" needed an explanation. Did his actual family all meet in Indonesia, or did he attend a reunion of a family he befriended in Indonesia? It might've actually made for an interesting personal story for once.

In any event, it probably wouldn't have saved him. He's been living on borrowed time for weeks.

"I'm Jay and I love life." Really, Well, I guess that about covers everything. I'm sure that the other contestants probably hate life and drown kittens in their spare time.

Win or lose, I know that once this season of FNS is over I will go out of my way to avoid ever seeing that perpetual used-car salesman smile and grating "have I got a deal for you" pitchman's voice.

Speaking of grating, OMG, Katie Lee. Does she actually have any credentials to be on a food show? Is having been married to Billy Joel that big a deal? I enjoyed the comparisons to the annoying socialite from "Auntie Mame," but to my ear her voice she sounded more Valley Girl than Locust Valley Lockjaw.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

Katie Lee had to of sold her soul to keep getting on these cooking shows. For me she's like a Stepford Host. Her voice never seems to fluctuate and she only seems to have one facial expression.

I'm glad Alex is finally gone. I didn't want to see another week of that hairdo. Seriously though, he just doesn't seem to be comfortable on camera. They say he's a really good cook so maybe he should try Top Chef.

I'm still not a fan of Eddie. It feels like he wants his own show as a way to meet women.

• Love 1

I think they're not using Rachael Ray because she really has no presence on "The Network" anymore. Even the kids who get stuck on her team in Rachael vs. Guy don't really know who she is; they all want to be on Guy's team. Did they even film that show again this year? If not, she has zero shows in production. 

They've flown in the contestants to do her show before, so this is definitely a departure for FNS. 

She has no shows in production right now but she is still on several times a week with 30 minute meals repeats and something called "3 in the Bag" which was filmed in 2014 and "Week in a Day" which also filmed until 2014.  They're also repeating the most recent season of "Rachael vs. Guy" on Aug. 21st.

I too wonder why they didn't use the "Rachael Ray Show" this year for the live demos. At least that was a real TV show with a real audience. Although the RR show is filmed in NYC and they're still out in Los Angeles - But wasn't that true last year too? By this time shouldn't they be back in NYC?

This was the last show on the schedule that needed extras in L.A. Which doesn't tell much except that the remaining shows will not have an "audience" out there.

I don't think anyone's had a clear point of view that they stuck with this season. Eddie was a Cheat Day specialist until he got dinged for that so now he's yet another foreign food spice flavor kind of guy. Jay... where was his Cajun mojo in that wimpy-looking chocolate tart? Did he mention Cajun at all? When I think New Orleans desserts, I think yummy beignets with powdered sugar and maybe some gooey chocolate dipping sauce. Alex ditched his sandwich schtick for soup. Ramen... that was Arnold's thing last time, dude.

Is it just me or did everyone lose their minds with this episode?

• Love 2

Jay... where was his Cajun mojo in that wimpy-looking chocolate tart? Did he mention Cajun at all?

He mentioned putting cayenne in the chocolate. I think that was his nod to New Orleans.

• Love 1
I don't know what the judges see in Jay.  They think he seems so comfortable - Katie Lee acted like he made her feel relaxed - Seriously?  He relaxes me like an OxyClean commercial relaxes me, which means not at all, thanks to that wonderful analogy.

Like Dom, Jay strikes me as someone who's either got some kind of "in" with FN or else he's simply so nice in person the judges just waaaaaay over-do it in their enthusiasm.  Because on camera, I seriously don't get their love-fest with him.  He's alright, but kind of bland.

Tonight was one of the most glaring examples: when it was Jay's turn to begin, he basically just re-did exactly what Eddie had done-- but Eddie talked to and included the other guys in a way that felt natural, while Jay just felt like he thought to himself "god, what do I need to do here; oh yeah, Eddie went around asking everybody a question, so I'm going to do it too" and it came across like some auto-pilot, artificial "what do you like, Alex?  Good.  So what do you like, Arnold?"  Oh that's great.  So what do you like, Eddie.  That's swell"-- instead of Eddie's more charismatic way of doing it.

Then-- cut to the judges, practically leaping out of their chairs with joy about how great Jay was being.  They've been like this with Jay all season, and it just makes me go "huh?"  Seriously, the judges are specifically telling us that if somebody's flipping through channels and lands on Jay they're going to immediately stop what they're doing and watch him?  For the love of God, why?  I wish the judges were forced, like the contestants sometimes are, to describe what it is they specifically see in Jay that's unique or would pull in any kind of significant audience, without being allowed to use phony, empty buzzwords like "he's a natural."

• Love 9

I do not get the appeal of Jay. Don't we already have an overweight, unkept, and loud middle aged man who is a mediocre cook in Guy Fierri? Jay seems like a decent guy, but his cooking was really not good this week. His after school snacks should have earned him a spot in the bottom, along with his crappy looking tart.

Eddie is a refreshing change. Hopefully Dom won't come back and cause Giada to turn into a tween again, and we have to put up with the annoying sexist tough guy.

I really keep wondering who FN is trying to appeal to with their latest cooking shows. Southern or country cooking is great, but we have three shows with country themes. And it's like all the men have to be frat boy or tough. Hopefully Eddies football past will allow him to win,!even though unlike Jay, he looks like his showers and isn't preparing crap.

Edited by snowydaze
  • Love 7

I read this thread before I watched the show and I think the Jay holding the pan with bare hands was editing. He has towels when he removes it the clip we see of him barehanded he is tilting and it appears to be empty with no dark tart molds and he tilts it at such an angle.it would have slid if they were there.

• Love 3