Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Girl Jesus

These people are frustrating.

Tawny finally tells Teddy she doesn't know if she wants to be with him and that she will never be with Daniel. But then she kisses Teddy.

Daniel seemed to find his niche painting the pool but at the end kicks the paint can over so it spills in the pool.

One good thing is the sheriff thinks Daniel may be too honest for his own good and that Trey seems to be trying too hard to pin it on Daniel.

(edited)

...and the search warrant is for Trey's house and truck, right?

I have a weird theory. Weren't there references to George being gay? The DNA found on Hanna matched George's. What if George was drunk the night she died, he somehow wound up in a pile of guys, or only Trey, and then the semen was transferred onto her via Trey? Maliciously? Accidentally?

I understand everyone's frustration at the slow, nowhere pace, but I thought the acting was superb and the music effective. It was quite distracting at times but with a beautiful piano flourish during the last Teddy/Tawney scene. The music was certainly much better than their last scene - and Daniel's.

I couldn't understand what Foulkes was saying to the waitress and my caption stopped working. Did she rush out of the hospital room because of something he said or that she just couldn't handle seeing him in that condition?

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 3

I have a weird theory. Weren't there references to George being gay?

It's not a weird theory.  I think that George is the killer.  Yes, he was gay. 

After his father called him a queer he left and never came back.  Trey said that

when there were no girls around, he let Trey give him blow jobs.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I was watching the right show. Who was this Amantha that didn't actively annoy me?

Oh, it didn't cross my mind that the warrant was for Trey. I thought it was for George's place because Carl only searched it illegally so far. Does Trey have a jacket with a bunch of pockets that he planted evidence in and left at Daniel's mom's house when he was there? Trey and Tawney both gave different accounts of what Daniel was wearing.

I felt sorry for Teddy this episode. I can't be annoyed with Tawney for kissing him and then immediately regretting it. At least that's what it looked like to me. That relationship is so messed up at the moment. She wants to leave but it's comfortable and some form of security for her that's easy to get pulled back into even if it's not right for her in the long run.

All of the coffee grounds comments never fail to make me laugh. And I'm sure I'll be finding a use for "Eat a bee" which I never heard before and amused me more than it probably should.

• Love 1

One thing I love about this show is that the conversations are real -- they say things that people (smart people) might actually say.  And usually, we get to hear the entire conversation -- there's a beginning and an end.  Like with Tawney and Teddy -- the scene ended when Tawney got out of the truck, not with the kiss.  A lesser show would have ended with the kiss, leaving us to wonder what happened next.

Speaking of Tawney, I don't know why she responded to Teddy.  Maybe it was because for once, he wasn't pushing her.  He was holding back, letting her take the lead, and I think she recognized that and appreciated it.  He's treating her like she's her own person -- an individual -- not just his wife.

Janet and Ted -- an example of how bio children and step children are treated differently in some blended families.  I was surprised that Janet didn't cut Ted some slack, but Ted could have been more understanding of how Janet feels -- she's losing Daniel again.  And she's gotta be worried after hearing about the assault on Teddy -- whether Daniel is really okay, will he be able to live in this new world.

• Love 4

There are some good theories a-brewin' here.    Hoping that a US deputy marshal from Miami gets transferred to Paulie.... and that it's Raylan Givens. Then we can call the show Rectified.

• Love 11

Well I love this season as much as previous. I love the camera work, the intimate frames and the non-dialogue, they do it all so darn good. And then the brilliant, subtle acting & the actual, the few times we get it *lol*, dialogue it is spot on and real.

I accidentally spoiled myself and read the episode summary for ep5 over at tv.com where it said "Daniel attempts to repair the pool that he damaged" so I read too much in to Daniels behavior and was like waiting for him to explode, to totally wreck the pool, go bonkers on it but all he does is... tip a paint can over *lmao* I must've forgotten momentarily that it was Rectify I was watching. Just like Janet blowing up on Ted Sr is a mosquito bite compered to the way my parents fought *lol*

The Teddy & Tawney scene just made me think of what Teddy "confessed" to two episodes ago. I took it like she kissed him but then when he tried to hurry things along she backed off or regretted it or whatever was going on in her mind. I don't get Tawney at all so I can't even imagine where her head was at. I'd like to think I would never ever fall for a guy like Teddy, he's super creepy. Okay, Trey might beat him in creepiness but Teddy is not far behind.

I'm not at a place yet where I can say I feel pity for the senator but I figure he kinda wished he'd died when even the waitress bailed on him :/

Amantha & Jon have to get back together. They just have to. & I hope Daniel gets to stay in Paulie just for the fact I want the decision to leave to be his and not in the hands of someone else. & because Paulie is a big part of Rectify and I like this version of Rectify even though its fucked up and flawed and generally miserable.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope nothing continues to happens with Daniel and Tawney.  That doesn't fit with Tawney wanting redemption for Daniel.  It would happen on a lesser show, where everyone's falling in bed with everyone else, but this show doesn't need sex to keep people watching.

In the truck, it looked to me like Teddy drew back first.  What did it look like to you guys?

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 1

Actually I wanted to smack Daniel upside the head.  The building manager (can't remember his name offhand) was nice enough to put his faith in Daniel and now the pool is ruined and needs to be repainted and the residents have to wait longer to use it.  Thanks, Daniel.  Apparently no good deed goes unpunished in Paulie.

• Love 3

Dumping the epoxy can be viewed as Daniel sabotaging himself -- again.  Daniel doesn't know how to respond when people are good to him, like they were in this episode.  Mom buys him clothes, his probation officer comes by on her own time, Amantha is sympathetic and helpful.  Maybe trouble is his comfort zone.  Or he's like a little kid, pushing people to test their limits.  How far can I go before you'll hurt me?

• Love 3
(edited)

Agree Auntie Pam, and I also thought of the unfinished kitchen and perhaps a reluctance to complete anything, because then it will be "over"  -- used up -- all done -- finished -- past tense and there will be hole where the "possibility" once was ... finishing anything is a problem for a lot of people ... living with the imperfections and/or the story about how you would do it next time, if you had it all to do over again ... etc. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 5

I hope nothing continues to happens with Daniel and Tawney.  That doesn't fit with Tawney wanting redemption for Daniel.  It would happen on a lesser show, where everyone's falling in bed with everyone else, but this show doesn't need sex to keep people watching.

In the truck, it looked to me like Teddy drew back first.  What did it look like to you guys?

It would definitely happen on a lesser show and it's definitely true that this show doesn't need sex to sell, but... In all honesty, I am torn about it, because there is a difference between your ideals as a person and what you actually end up doing, and Rectify isn't about ideal people making ideal choices. I would accept both outcomes.

• Love 3

It looked like the opposite to me, and I played it back at the time to check it again. It was hard to tell but that's what it seemed to me. Plus, Teddy looked confused by the whole thing which led me to believe that he was confused she kissed him in the first place and then pulled away.

• Love 1

I thought Teddy eagerly returned the kiss, but wouldn't say he was trying to push it to another level.

To me, Tawney was seeking comfort, and pulled back when she realized Teddy was getting the wrong idea.

I liked when Tawney admitted she was thinking about Daniel, and Teddy was so glad to know he wasn't crazy. I also liked when Tawney used her words to explain to Teddy what she was thinking. In the past, she completely avoided conflict.

• Love 2

Wow, that was some kiss! That's the first time we've seen them kiss, too, isn't it?

It looked to me like Teddy started lunging forward into the kiss, like he was trying to make it "lead to something," and then realized that Tawney didn't necessarily want it to lead to anything else, so he stopped himself and pulled himself away. I think he was trying to follow Tawney's lead and appreciate the kiss and his relationship with Tawney for what it is, instead of ruining it by pushing for more and more and more.

I think that Tawney was just concentrating on the kiss and on her connection to Teddy, and wasn't even thinking of trying to "turn it into" sex or a formal reconciliation or anything more than what it was. I think for her, the kiss was meaningful in its own right. It didn't have to be a prelude to something else to be meaningful. I don't think she pulled back per se, but I think the kiss ended and she let it end.

It seemed to me that the shocked look on Teddy's face afterward was because the kiss made him realize that Tawney does love him, and at least part of her does want to be with him, and their marriage might *survive* this. I think he was assuming it was already DOA, or at least that Tawney wanted it to be over. I think he was even thinking that Tawney wanted to be free of him so she could be with Daniel. In the therapy session he pushed and pushed and pushed until he forced Tawney to admit she might not want to be with him, and then said he felt vindicated by that. I think the kiss was sort of the opposite of that therapy session. In the truck, he let Tawney lead and didn't push, and she showed that might want to be with him, and that shocked (rather than vindicated) him.

Anyway, Daniel was frustrating and irritating me through the whole episode. He doesn't want to be done with his pool painting job, because he's scared of the life he has ahead of him and how he'll have to "bend" to it, so he ruins his work to keep the job going. He can barely handle getting a form signed and turned in. He goes to his mom's house when he's at loose ends and lets Trey wonder in like he's a stray cat. I get that Daniel is irresponsible because he's never had the opportunity to take on any responsibility. So there's going to be a learning curve. But who is going to get saddled with Daniel if he can't take care of himself? I wish he'd try harder to rise to the occasion, tbh.

Amantha has become so likeable and sweet that I almost miss her old prickly self. I also loved that Jon congratulated her on her promotion. It was really rubbing me the wrong way how Janet kept scoffing at Amantha's Thrifty Town job, especially because Janet's entire family is in retail. Retail paid for the roof over her head and the food on her table and the new clothes that Daniel is going to wear, so I don't know where she gets off scoffing at Amantha's job. Especially since Amantha has (apparently, always) taken the hard road but has also (apparently, always) really done a great job of making the best of it. I mean, *she* could also get a handout from the tire store via a bank loan, like Janet has been lobbying for Daniel to get, but instead, she's working at Thrifty Town and rising like cream to the top even there. Props to Amantha.

Janet's in a tough spot and I can't really fault her for her protectiveness toward Daniel right now. Or even fault her for taking out her anger/fear/resentment/whatever on Ted, even though there's no actual reason that he should be the object of her fury other than he's so dependable and always there, so he's a safe and convenient target for it. (I think that's why Tawney has been the object of Teddy's fury in the past, too). But it is still frustrating to see her be so unfair. She wants the money from the tire store to go to Daniel, even though Ted and Teddy are the ones who actually work every day to keep the place going. She wants to support Daniel (financially and emotionally), and then scoffs at the way that Amantha supports herself (financially and emotionally). She wants Ted to give her free reign to protect and care for her son any way she feels like, even when doing so harms his son. I get where she's coming from, but it's still messed up.

Oh, speaking of Janet. I thought it was interesting how it seemed like the pieces fell into place for Tawney (judging by the look on her face) when Teddy told the therapist that he used to think he was close to Janet, until her real son came back. (ETA:  I think that's when Tawney realized that Teddy hates Daniel and sees him as a threat for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with Tawney). Also, I loved how quickly Tawney adjusted to her new understanding of his perspective. Right away, she started spelling out to Teddy just how she felt and what she thought about Daniel, and what had (or, hadn't) happened between them, and reassuring him.

Tawney is so strange, because on the one hand, she seems so naive and young, but on the other hand, everything that comes out about Miss Kathy makes it sound like she grew up in what was basically an orphanage. Idk, she's a conundrum. I wonder why she started crying when they got to Beth's?

I understand everyone's frustration at the slow, nowhere pace, but I thought the acting was superb and the music effective. It was quite distracting at times but with a beautiful piano flourish during the last Teddy/Tawney scene. The music was certainly much better than their last scene - and Daniel's.

I agree completely.

BTW:  I think the waitress rushed out of the senator's room because she couldn't handle seeing him like that. It sounded to me like he was trying to say "doing better" or "feeling better" in the earlier part of the scene, and to give her a reassuring chuckle (which ended up sounding like a weird grunt and bringing on a coughing fit). It'll be interesting to see what his recovery is like, though, because it's hard to tell what's going on with him atm, I think. But in any case, the waitress obviously didn't understand anything of what he was saying and was freaked out beyond belief.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 6

I would rather see something happen between Daniel and Tawney than have to see her get back together with Teddy, who creeps me out. The actor does a good job, but that just seems like a terrible relationship and I can't wait for it to be over. I really hope they don't end up getting back together.

• Love 2

I hate that I have to wait to watch the show on demand the day after it airs but it's the only way to get HD. Does it air in HD for anyone?

I'm glad Daggett sees Trey is trying to pin George's death on Daniel. Why on earth would Trey say Daniel was wearing a coat? Like that made any sense in southern Georgia or Florida. I mean, I get that he was trying to make it make sense that Daniel would have all of George's stuff on him---cell, wallet---but why did he think that would play with the Sheriff? Did he think he could just chalk it up to Daniel's eccentricities if called on it? You're more clever than I would've first thought, Trey, but not half as clever as you think you are.

Really liked that scene with Person and Daggett trying to figure out the mess that is the Hanna murder "investigation" (such as it was) along with what's going on now.

Daniel's remark to the PO, "that's just the way I think," was delivered so well. I could hear his frustration at himself that once again he'd said something that was off-putting to others but it's just how his mind works and once again, he couldn't control his mouth.

I think Daniel is more frustrated with himself than everyone else put together.

Teddy and Ted Sr., "That's good." I don't know if it's on purpose or just that the show was written by one writer, but I like that they use the same phrases and seemingly in the same way. The I-don't-know-what-to-say-here way.

Teddy was less than awful this episode. I was surprised and impressed that he didn't get up and leave Rebecca's office when things got hard. I don't know what to make of the kiss but I still hope Tawney leaves.

Getting some MV flavored love seems to have helped Amantha's mood a bit. And her fashion sense---no chip clips in her hair!  I always like her but I liked her a lot this episode. She's wrong about Daggett, but that's okay. I do hope she and Jon work it out because Jon is the guy you stick with for the long haul. Maybe she'll go with him when he goes after all.

She is still terrible at retail, though, not only did she just stop mid-transaction without even an "excuse me one sec" but she rang up that last item twice according to the beeps. Maybe that was just the sound mixer's fault, though. :-)

Edited by Syren
  • Love 4

Yes, the scene the P.O. reminded me of trying to explain to my younger brother that his boss was not being unreasonable in refusing to give him the weekend off on short notice ... that in fact, it was not a matter of the boss' whim, but a matter of finding someone else to cover for his (repeated) absences, tardies and no-shows ... like the last job he had lost ... Prison, on the other hand, is fairly arbitrary and the guards/administrators have a lot of leeway and damned little oversight in wielding the considerable power hold over your life and well-being... part of why reports of ridiculous abuse of that power are all too commonplace ... arranged "fights" with wagers,the power of prison gangs, and the sort of preferential treatment and abuse of power that is being revealed in the NY prison escape details.  Daniel never really had to deal with all sort of "housekeeping (paying bills on time)  much less "multi-tasking" while he was in prison.  He didn't even have to deal with other prisoners except as an exception (the shower rape), usually bad. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

Is the "girl Jesus" Daniel was talking about Tawney—or Hanna?

The reason I ask is when Sheriff Carl called "Mrs. Talbott" to come in for an interview, I assumed he was talking to Janet.

The sheriff was talking to Tawney, I believe.

Girl Jesus is Tawney.

I just wanted to give everyone a hug.

I think the waitress rushed out of the senator's room because she couldn't handle seeing him like that.

To me, specifically, she couldn't handle it because she was disgusted. I didn't really get that she was saddened by how he was; she seemed to think it was all gross, even when he put his hand on hers. Very well done scene. I was wondering, however, when this is going to tie in with the other characters.

Trey telling Daggett that Daniel wore a jacket was very weird. I just went back (via Netflix) and scanned thru their scenes in that ep. Neither one of them was wearing a jacket. Trey did load up a canvas back in his shed with George's stuff -- cell phone, wallet, keys, gun -- then put the bag in the back of the truck. There seems to be a continuity error when they get to George's house: As Trey goes around the back to enter the house he tells Daniel to get the beers. Daniel does, but also carries the canvas bag and puts it on the porch. First off, that was in the back of the truck. Second, what does Daniel think is in that bag, and why should it come into the house with them? 

I loved Janet and Ted's scenes. They were awkward, painful, and very real. 

Tawney and Teddy kissing wasn't surprising to me. I think she still has affection for Teddy, and seeing all the effort he's making, as well as hearing him reveal some personal feelings has softened her toward him. She felt closer to him and felt FOR him. And she's scared about what's going on with Daniel. Teddy is a comfort for her.

• Love 4

I'm frustrated with Daniel, but I wish the damn probation officer would realize he just doesn't know how to do things. Why hasn't he been offered some kind of therapy along with work training. I would think IRL, someone who was found innocent would be offered both. I appreciate the fine acting of Janet and Ted, and I feel her pain because she will also take up for and love her son. I hope they will find out the truth behind the Teddy Choking incident.

Not a huge fan of Tawny and wish she would just decide to divorce Teddy or stay with him. He is far from perfect, but I buy that he is trying. He has made mistakes in the past but he is starting to recognize these mistakes. 

I would really love for something positive to happen with Daniel's character. Not in clearing his name necessarily, but him finding a tiny way to move forward in life. The pool painting is temporary; something which could lead him to a new direction would be appreciated.

• Love 1

For viewers who aren't particularly invested in the marriage of Tawney & Teddy, this was a short episode.

Thank you, JANET, for finally being the person to want more context for Daniel's attack on Teddy.

Hey, didn't someone last week suggest Daniel would ruin the pool to maintain the dismantling of his support system at 100%?  Oh, yeah, me.

• Love 1
For viewers who aren't particularly invested in the marriage of Tawney & Teddy, this was a short episode.

For some reason, I'm fascinated by Tawney and Teddy. Well, I'm fascinated by all the characters, really, but they're the ones who I care about the most. They're each very relatable somehow imo.

Anyway, I've been thinking more about why Tawney might have started crying when they got to Beth's. I think what set her off was Teddy's comment about how it reminded him of dropping her off at Miss Kathy's. Maybe she was reminded of back when she used to live at Miss Kathy's, too? And maybe that reminded her of why she'd left Miss Kathy's house to be with Teddy in the first place?

When Tawney was telling Rebecca about how she'd stayed with Miss Kathy after she'd aged out of the system, iIrc, she said that she figured that Miss Kathy agreed to it because she liked Tawney helping take care of the household and younger kids. That also made me think about how Tawney had kept "reassuring" Beth and Mitch that she was going to leave their house soon, and then told Teddy that she was making herself useful to Beth (and Mitch) by helping Beth to run the household and helping her with her son. It seemed to me like she was trying to earn her keep by taking care of Beth's child and household, just like she'd tried to earn her keep with Miss Kathy by taking care of Miss Kathy's (foster?) children and household, but in both cases, she felt like she was living on borrowed time. (At Miss Kathy's, because, based on what she told Rebecca, she could apparently only stay there until age 21, and at Beth and Mitch's because that's not her house, either).

Maybe part of why Tawney was torn/unhappy about having a baby was because bringing a kid (or kids) into her home felt to her sort of like she was turning her home into another version of Miss Kathy's house/orphanage? Maybe she thought she'd escaped living as a sort of precarious, not-entirely-welcome "charity case" babysitter/helper when she went to live with Teddy (and maybe that's part of why she wanted to be with Teddy in the first place) and she freaked and felt trapped when she found out she was sort of putting herself back into that position (by becoming a mother)?

Or who knows, maybe Tawney was worried that she'd end up becoming like her own mother in some way or that she had no idea how to be a mother or how to live in a family.

I feel kind of bad for poor isolated Tawney. Everyone who has talked to her about the miscarriage seems to assume that she *wants* kids and *wants* to be a mother. Even Beth. The only character who seemed to notice that she wasn't especially happy about becoming pregnant was Teddy. But of course, since he's him, picking up on how she felt just lead to him leaping to conclusions about how she wasn't happy because she doesn't want *his* baby, because she doesn't love him, she wants to be free of him, she's dreaming of running off with another man, etc etc etc. It really didn't seem like he ever thought, "hmmm maybe this motherless person is torn about becoming a mother for her own reasons." 

To be fair, though, I can see why it wouldn't occur to Teddy that Tawney wouldn't know how to be a mother (emotionally) or would be torn about becoming one. Teddy seems fine with people just going through the motions with him, it seems like he doesn't even actually expect or realize someone could have more enthusiasm or interest than that, and since Tawney seems perfectly capable of literally, physically taking care of a child, like feeding it or putting it to sleep or whatever, then I guess he just doesn't see where there could be a problem with her ability/willingness to be a mother. I mean, something kind of random that I thought was strange about the Julie story was that Teddy was actually OK with losing his virginity to a girl he had to beg and plead and who he ultimately only had sex with because she eventually "gave up" and "let" him despite not liking or wanting or even really knowing him. It's probably different for guys, but it just seems so depressing and demoralizing to try to be intimate with someone for the very first time in your life and to have to beg and plead and flatter and harass her into eventually letting you have sex with her while she lays there unenthusiastically. I mean, it's not like my first time was ~magical~ or whatever, it was kind of disappointing and not a lot of fun tbh, like most people's first times probably are, but it was still more romantic and loving than *that.* And even onscreen Teddy has pushed and harrassed Tawney into having sex with him, too. I would just feel so lonely and rejected if "making love" with my husband meant hounding him until he couldn't take it anymore and finally just laid back and to think of England while I plowed him. But Teddy was apparently OK with that, because as long as the other person is at least going through the motions, he can deal? Idk, it's probably different for men. But it's hard for me to wrap my head around!

But I guess the thing is that Teddy does in general is that he fixates on a worst case scenario and then frantically and relentlessly does whatever he has to do in order to avoid that worst case scenario (that he is still fixated on). Even though that means he never succeeds in getting a best case scenario to happen (because he doesn't even seem to think about best case scenarios at all), he just manages to make things into the second-worst-but-not-absolute-worst they could be. For example, he goes about losing his virginity by trying to find the girl the least likely to say no to him (tries to find a sweet girl who has said yes to other guys before) rather than trying to find a girl who would be the most likely to say yes to him (i.e., a girl who actually LIKES and WANTS HIM). And then he goes nuts and crosses some lines to try to keep from getting a no from the girl who he already picked because she was the least likely to say no (and succeeds in getting the second-from-worst-case-scenario, I guess). Or how he was worried about the tire store going under, so to keep it from going under, he started up this desperate and two-bit plan to rent rims to individual, relatively low-income (since they can't buy the rims outright) customers. I mean, that's never going to really "save" the tire store, at best it's just going to keep it from literally going *completely* kaput. I think that Teddy is always so desperate to avoid what he feels like is a looming catastrophe, that he ends up creating all these terrible self-fulfilling-prophecy kinds of situations. Like, he's terrified of losing Tawney, so he's constantly screaming at her about how she's going to leave him and how she wants all these other men, until she finally flees their house. Or he's terrified of losing everything if/when the tire store goes under, so he puts his house up as collateral for a poorly thought out and rash business idea to keep it sorta-barely afloat even if they lose all their regular customers.

Anyway! I wonder if maybe Tawney's thoughts on becoming a mother are going to come up fairly soon, though. This season the show *keeps* bringing up motherhood, but so far, it's been for no real reason that I can see. So I figure there's going to be *some* sort of payoff to all that talk about mothers, but I still don't really know what that payoff could/will be. Actually, thinking about it now, though, I hope that Tawney does end up telling Teddy that she was torn about the pregnancy because she's torn about being a mother altogether, or for some other reason related to her (theoretical/future) relationship with a baby, rather than her relationship with Teddy himself. I honestly am curious about how he'd respond to that. Would he get where she was coming from? Would it piss him off?

Trey telling Daggett that Daniel wore a jacket was very weird.

I wonder if Trey has some jacket with "murder evidence" all over it that he wants to be able to claim is Daniel's (as part of a frame job).

• Love 2

I would just feel so lonely and rejected if "making love" with my husband meant hounding him until he couldn't take it anymore and finally just laid back and to think of England while I plowed him. But Teddy was apparently OK with that, because as long as the other person is at least going through the motions, he can deal? Idk, it's probably different for men. But it's hard for me to wrap my head around!

I promise you, it's no different for men. The difference for men is that society presses us to "do it" or to "have it done" in order to be a real man, while there's an opposite pressure on women (to guard their virginity, to not appear to be a "slut".) It's equally hurtful for both sexes.

• Love 5

The sheriff was talking to Tawney, I believe.

Girl Jesus is Tawney.

When Sheriff Carl Daggett was talking on the phone to Mrs. Talbot, I assumed he was talking to Janet. And I was wrong. So when Daniel talked about girl Jesus, I questioned my assumption that he was talking about Tawney:

I thought I loved someone once. I thought she could save me. I thought that she was my savior—girl Jesus. I got it all mixed up, and it wasn't love—it was insanity.

I think Daniel's girl Jesus was Tawney. 

We don't know enough about Hanna or her relationship with Daniel to think that he saw her as his savior.  All we know about Hanna is that -- maybe -- she was promiscuous.  Daniel was 19 and getting high -- he wasn't looking for redemption.  What 19-year-old is concerned for his soul?

But Tawney -- that's what she was all about -- saving Daniel.

• Love 1

Yes, I do really believe that Daniel is referring to Tawney. This leads me to believe we will not see a lot of discourse between them this season. Thus far we haven't had one second. In fact, it's possible they may never share a single scene face to face during this season, except maybe in a dream scene, and that makes me very, very sad. Their interaction is one of my favorite parts of the show.

However I do believe that season four of the show will feature them more and I think that the last episode of this season, Tawney will make the decision to leave Teddy. I think the small-ish spoilers are intentionally misleading.

• Love 1

I hope Tawney doesn't leave Teddy.  I didn't like him for a long time but I think his character has shown some real growth.  He seems to be recognizing how he's failed as a partner to Tawney.  And she's not without some blame -- a teensy bit.  She hasn't done anything wrong but her inability to be honest with herself hasn't helped. 

This season is my favorite.  We got to know these people and that makes everything so much more rich.  I wonder if viewers who didn't watch the first two seasons can appreciate what we're seeing, or if they're bored and waiting for something to happen!

• Love 1

I think this season is very strong. I still hold season 1 as the strongest, with season 2 somewhat deteriorating, even if my single favorite episode of the show is from season 2.

Teddy isn't a bad guy but the more we see the more I feel Tawney might have married him for all the wrong reasons. I don't see her ultimately being happy repairing and pursuing that relationship. I don't see her being happy with Daniel either, to be honest. She's caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Love 1

Trey telling Daggett that Daniel wore a jacket was very weird. I just went back (via Netflix) and scanned thru their scenes in that ep. Neither one of them was wearing a jacket. Trey did load up a canvas back in his shed with George's stuff -- cell phone, wallet, keys, gun -- then put the bag in the back of the truck.

I rewatched the Florida episodes, too. Aside from provoking Daniel and planting evidence, Trey was baiting him in a way that suggested to me that Trey knows that Daniel witnessed something that Daniel himself does not remember. So, IMO Trey's ultimate goal is keeping the events the night of the murder as hazy as possible for Daniel, who already doubts himself. I think he is a true sociopath who is so arrogant in his own intelligence he thinks he can successfully manipulate Daniel and the entire legal system.

You know what I don't get? What would have been so bad about letting George's death be a clear suicide? Wouldn't it be easy enough to ascertain that George was consumed with guilt over lying about having killed Hannah? Or would it for sure implicate Trey as well? I don't remember if Trey and George said they witnessed Daniel killing Hannah. I thought from their conversation that George asked Trey what they'd tell the police if questioned, and Trey said we tell them what we saw. George said, "What did we see?" And then George asked Trey if he killed Hannah. I don't think they settled what their original statement was. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2

You know what I don't get? What would have been so bad about letting George's death be a clear suicide?

I don't remember if Trey and George said they witnessed Daniel killing Hannah.

Maybe Trey tampered with George's body to cast suspicion on Daniel, and/or to cover up the fact that George's testimony was iffy?

Only George testified against Daniel. (Later, Trey told Carl he didn't see it happen, and got fake offended at the implication he might be persuaded to lie.) George asked Trey if he killed Hanna, and Trey said Daniel did. When George asked how Trey knew, he said, "It's the only thing that makes sense."

I wonder if viewers who didn't watch the first two seasons can appreciate what we're seeing, or if they're bored and waiting for something to happen!

This is definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of show, and I assumed anyone who really likes it goes back & watches the rest.

Edited by editorgrrl