Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: 40 Days Jungle Rich

After nearly three weeks in the bush, two survivalists have tapped out and most others are making desperate treks across the savannah in search of food. If they can't find sustenance, they'll be forced out of the most difficult challenge of their lives.

I really hope the guys let Shane go with them. Those girls are just awful ... and I actually liked Dani in her season. But now those two girls (not women because they're acting like children) are just a vortex of suck.

It's really interesting to contrast Team Bitchy High School Girls with Team Bromance... Shane's been gone for 4 days and they're still bitching about him. Is there seriously nothing else to talk about? They're both insufferable. Meanwhile you'd think the guys would be slamming Honora (I want to call her Honnoying) at every chance they got considering all she put them through, yet she barely got a mention. I mean, her crazy exploits would at least be an interesting topic of conversation when the ladies showed up if nothing else. 

I really hope the guys take Shane with them. Mentally he'll probably do a lot better around some positive masculine energy. 

"How do my balls look upside down?" LOL Luke. 

LAgator77, a million internets to you. Maybe I was so annoyed by the girls complaining or excited by the yoga, but I didn't even notice it until you said it. I'm sure there may have been some editing, but you called it. I'd say that the girls are trying to validate their evil ways so the can't let it go as they have made very bad decisions, though the guys may regret losing a teammate, they in no way regret losing a bad teammate and feel they've made good decisions.

Shane was lighting up around EJ and Jeff! I enjoyed seeing that. When not surrounded by emasculating leeches, he is pleasant and happy,and dare I say,downright normal!

Then... those two life-sucking hyenas roll up and ruin the party. Ugh. Shane shuts down again.

Let's see if EJ and Jeff put up with their shit. Oh, but I bet they won't be as lazy or as mean-girlish around men they don't feel they can use and intimidate.

No wonder Shane has issues with women. Seriously, I sort of can't blame him.

Shane is obviously a special personality, and I get that some can't handle it. I'm one of those who can---it takes a certain amount of patience and finesse to deal with someone like Shane. He obviously needs compassion, too. Dani seems to have much more compassion for animals than for fellow humans, and Alana just grinds my nerves, same as she did her first episode. She had the same mean girl spirit then.

With Shane, not only can some not handle his personality, but they will often take advantage. I'm truly sad for Shane, and I hope real life is much kinder to him.

As much as he can easily offend or come off badly, I believe he's a sensitive, hurting soul, most likely he is truly harmless, and is so self-deprecating as a defense mechanism. People take it the wrong way and he never really gets a chance to recover from that first impression. Idk.. I feel for the guy!

I'm impressed by the amount of food all these groups are managing to find. I thought Shane had nothing until EJ and Jeff met him and Shane said he had a couple things to share/trade.

I thought EJ and Jeff had nothing either until they said they had cactus and almonds

I hope Shane stays with the guys and they leave the two mean girls behind.

I like Team Bromance. I thought it was funny when the one guy (still don't have names right) was rolling around naked on top of their bounty of fruit and nuts.

Alana and Danielle are the worst kind of awful. Sitting there all smug in the shelter that Shane built them, living off of the resources he brought them, and saying that he needs to apologize after he came to them to apologize. They make all women look bad. Funny how Alana is finally able to get up and fish after Shane leaves, but for no other reason than to spite him? She is plain awful.

It's been said already but Alana and Danielle...holy crap. They are worse than Honora. Honora was just plain nuts. Alana and Danielle are MEAN. Not only that, they are manipulative. Notice how they cleaned themselves up to meet Jeff and EJ, like "look, we're so cute and hot, protect us, strong men!" Gross. Maybe Shane's insane behavior has been edited out, but I doubt it. He has shown decorum in his interactions with the girls and in not throwing them under the bus with the other guys. I hope the guys realize that these women are bad news, and take Shane with them. 

Camp Bromance is still looking okay after the integration of the chicks. We shall see!

They make all women look bad. 

No, they make themselves look bad.  I think despite the gender element that contributed to them ganging up on Shane and him feeling alienated, he probably would have felt just as or nearly as happy to see anyone else, not just other men.  Also, I've defended him and I think Alana and Dani were being assholes, but his comments about how men are stronger and it's just a fact were not exactly the best way to relate either.  They're all guilty of not communicating effectively.

That said, I was very happy for Shane when EJ and Jeff found him, he really needed that boost emotionally.  I hope he actually goes ahead and asks them if he can join next week, because I think they felt a little taken aback by his eagerness without actually asking them (and the fact that Alana and Dani will possibly try to do so as well).  

Glad things went okay with the all-women team and Team Bromance so far.  It seems like it'll balance out well for them to bolster their resources and have more variety, and none of them are huge assholes, so that helps too!  Loved Luke and Chris doing yoga.  

I didn't even realize how long they'd been there until they showed that it was day 20 - it's amazing that they're all doing so well with only two tap-outs (one being someone who shouldn't have been there in the first place).  

Edited by Ffiferoo

Shane was lighting up around EJ and Jeff! I enjoyed seeing that. When not surrounded by emasculating leeches, he is pleasant and happy,and dare I say,downright normal!

Then... those two life-sucking hyenas roll up and ruin the party. Ugh. Shane shuts down again.

Let's see if EJ and Jeff put up with their shit. Oh, but I bet they won't be as lazy or as mean-girlish around men they don't feel they can use and intimidate.

No wonder Shane has issues with women. Seriously, I sort of can't blame him.

Shane is obviously a special personality, and I get that some can't handle it. I'm one of those who can---it takes a certain amount of patience and finesse to deal with someone like Shane. He obviously needs compassion, too. Dani seems to have much more compassion for animals than for fellow humans, and Alana just grinds my nerves, same as she did her first episode. She had the same mean girl spirit then.

With Shane, not only can some not handle his personality, but they will often take advantage. I'm truly sad for Shane, and I hope real life is much kinder to him.

As much as he can easily offend or come off badly, I believe he's a sensitive, hurting soul, most likely he is truly harmless, and is so self-deprecating as a defense mechanism. People take it the wrong way and he never really gets a chance to recover from that first impression. Idk.. I feel for the guy!

Yes, THIS! I agree and I feel for Shane. If I had "the" twitter, as my bf calls it, I would tweet him and tell him about the support he has out in internetS land. 

sAnd also that those bitches are coming off as .... bitches. Some consolation if nothing else.

Luke doing yoga was straight up sexy, although I hate all the hair. Chris (is that his name?) was an ass AS USUAL when Luke invited him to do yoga he laughed. RUDE. I find him to be a colossal asshole consistently, he's just a little more subtle about it at times.

Shane's crying broke my heart. And his prayer asking God for strength was awesome rather than the other dude (with EJ) asking God for protein.

Yeah, as mentioned above,  the bitches gloating in the rain about having shelter... that Shane built..... after rejecting and insulting him. was stunning  Wow.

Edited by ari333

It seems like Jeff and EJ are not really interested in having Shane join them.  I hope that I am wrong.  My heart goes out to Shane.  Pairing him with Alana was evil.  I just couldn't believe that she would not share any fish with Shane.  Moreover, it seems like Dani is just a follower.  She doesn't seem genuiniey mean, but she doesn't seem to have a backbone.  This is very disappointing because her episode on the original N&A was one of my favorites.

I keep saying I'm gonna quit this show, but they got me again!  Why are people doing this, no money, right?  Anyhoo, anyone who names themselves "Honor"/("Honora") must always be immmediately ignored.  Of which I will commence doing right now..

Luke, please be my boyfriend!  I don't really go for the whole Grizzly Adams thing, but his charm, his yoga, his patience, and his "how are my balls upside down", have won me over.  He also might be great looking under all that hair.  Chris is actually really a dick, but he gets along with Luke, and I like the way he acknowledged the women were beautiful.  It was wrong of Dani to bring the other girls over without permission, but maybe it will work out, as long as they aren't leechers.  And I have to love Dani forever for bringing that mosquito net!  Fucking brilliant!

I don't understand what happened to Danielle.  I'm suprised she didn't ask Shane to come back when he showed up with his hat in his hands.  She seemed to want to, so maybe she needs to grow a pair and stand up to that vindictive minnow eater Alana.   Poor Shane.  He was irritating at first, but I think he has a good heart.  After he spent so much time feeding the girls and protecting him, that fucking bitch Alana could have given him a fish!

Naked and Afraid XL, I'm all in!

Like y'all I am disgusted by the way Shane is being treated. When he went over to try to talk to the girls about working together we was calm & quiet & didn't attack. Where was the crazy? I know editing monkeys love to confuse us, but I'm not getting scary from him. He seems like he might have some difficult personality traits but don't most of us? I feel like he's heard how bad he is so many times that he thinks he needs to give everyone a heads up about his horribleness. Poor guy. ari I agree his crying was heartbreaking. It made me kind of sniffly.

I feel bad for Shane also.  It's obvious to me that he has problems socializing, probably because of his terrible, lonely childhood, but he's really trying to fit in this season.  Alana is such a bitch, which makes me wonder if she's forgotten that the episode will be viewed by thousands, maybe a million or more people.  She's being photographed, and everyone will see how she's treating this man.

i've known a guy like Shane, all capable and seemingly crazy and calling folks out.  In this world of your boyfriend will kill you, it is normally safer to run.  But this is a different world, in the wilderness, with a camera crew to protect you.  A chance to . . . take a chance. he obviously has social issues, but this is a chance for a woman who would normally be in danger to take a fucking chance on a guy!  Take a chance!  Learn something new!  We all can see how much it would improve Shane's social abilities if someone would believe in him!  And I would love to believe that a guy like that would be great!  You guys are "adventurers"!  The craziest chance one can take is believing in another person! Be brave!  Be a fucking believer!

I feel bad for Shane too, was what he did so bad that Alana and Danielle have to make it so difficult for him for the remaining time? It's understandable that Jeff isn't eager to have Shane come with him and EJ right off the bat - I wonder if his noted behavior after Alana and Danielle showed up will hurt his chances. It seems like if he's not moving on with Jeff and EJ he'll be the next to tap out.

I wish that monkey sitting in the tree would throw his poop on the mean girls!

Anyway, if you are going to be out in the wilderness for 40 like this, why not learn how to weave things from grass and other fibers? One of the guys trekking across the plains complained about his feet. If he knew how to weave, I'm sure he could have made sandals. I remember one episode where a woman could weave all kinds of stuff and another where a guy (with an awful partner) made some awesome sandals.

Just a thought....

Edited by LittleIggy
I don't understand what happened to Danielle.  I'm suprised she didn't ask Shane to come back when he showed up with his hat in his hands.  She seemed to want to, so maybe she needs to grow a pair and stand up to that vindictive minnow eater Alana.  

Thanks for this.  That's her forever name to me now.  I've been too stunned to call her anything but Whatabitch.

Yes, THIS! I agree and I feel for Shane. If I had "the" twitter, as my bf calls it, I would tweet him and tell him about the support he has out in internetS land. 

Shane actually is on the Twitter!  lol

https://twitter.com/ShaneOffTheGrid

Just watched this episode with my daughter. It was her first time and I didn't fill her in on too much of the Shane vs. Ms. Smirks-a-Lot battle. After watching just a few of their scenes and Shane crying, my 10 year old said she thought the two women were "mean and unreasonable".

She & I both hope Shane can find a place with the guys and leave Smirky and No-Lips behind.

I didn't think I could hate Alana and Danielle any worse after last week, but they just outdid themselves.  Now you know what their next move is, to glom onto the two new guys so they can go back to laying around while the men support them.  It's a shame Discovery can't cast some real survivalists.  These two would be much better suited for Survivor with their antics.  Is this season going to have a reunion episode?  I would seriously like to see the other survivalists' comments after watching the footage.

I didn't think I could hate Alana and Danielle any worse after last week, but they just outdid themselves. Now you know what their next move is, to glom onto the two new guys so they can go back to laying around while the men support them. It's a shame Discovery can't cast some real survivalists. These two would be much better suited for Survivor with their antics. Is this season going to have a reunion episode? I would seriously like to see the other survivalists' comments after watching the footage.

yes! THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^

Also on a shallow note...

"No lips" ......*

****snort******:

:) ok im going to hell for laughing

Edited by ari333

Did anyone think that Shane meeting up with EJ and Jeff at that exact moment seemed a little fake?

It's interesting how the teams have paired off - both now 2 person teams which had issues have met a 3 person team. Would it have been possible for Shane to stumble upon the other teams or are they located in areas to prevent that?

Shane's comment about possibly tapping out could not have sounded good to the producers - having him meet others who'd be friendlier toward him (with the women still hanging around) makes the show more interesting. They're probably going to continue laying around but how long will Jeff and EJ tolerate that?

Did anyone think that Shane meeting up with EJ and Jeff at that exact moment seemed a little fake?

Also noticed that Danielle/Alana were both cleaner than usual when they visited with EJ/Jeff.

When Dani/Eva/Laura were discussing leaving their camp to see Chris/Luke the conversation seemed contrived.

The producers are going to kill this show with their "good ideas".

I think one of the big problems is that since the beginning, they've been telling us that the groups will eventually meet up. But if there wasn't a "reason" to leave their original camp, how would they get together? So we assume (correctly) that there is scheming by the producers to convince them to leave their camp, tell them where to go so they'll "randomly encounter" each other, etc. It reeks of producer intervention, which isn't very compelling for a show that's supposed to be about primitive survival.

Peach, thank you.  I have loved you for a very long time.  Use it, water your plants with it, make it grow!  I too wanted to call her a bitch [Alana], but I thought there are more words.  I had this creepy professor tell me to stop using profanity!  I now agree, any word that can be all parts of speech may not be particularly expressive. So that vindictive minnow eater Alana, is now what it is.

Not really a spoiler, just a silly Twitter thing, but I tweeted Shane a supportive tweet and said not all women are that awful, and 

Jeff "favorited" it. So it's just a dumb Twitter thing, but maybe, hopefully that means Shane gets to go with Jeff and EJ?

I saw Shane approach Dani and Alana and say, in effect, "I need help. I'd like to come back, and I can help you." I understood that to mean, "I need your help. In exchange for that help, I will provide whatever help you ask for." Alana seems to have taken that to mean that Shane was being a douchey alpha male saying the women need him and he will help them. She outright overlooked his asking for help, and dismissed him. I realize this show presents a simulated survival situation, and Alana knows he can just tap out and leave. I think she's trying to force him to tap out, TBH. But in a *real* survival situation, which this is supposed to be emulating, she may have killed him by turning him away. And then she laughed about it. What a freakin' tool.

I was not a huge fan of Shane's during his initial appearance, but in this show? He has really been trying. Unfortunately, he doesn't communicate overly well, and he shuts down easily. Doubly unfortunately, his teammates suck at empathy *and* communication. Put that together, and it just can't end well. I really hope Shane winds up teaming with EJ and Jeff, and leaving Dani and Alana behind. Sadly, I doubt that will happen. Either that, or he winds up back with them when all the survivalists meet up later in the series. Maybe, at that point, their suckitude will be seen by all.

Edited by Captain Asshat

Peach, thank you.  I have loved you for a very long time.  Use it, water your plants with it, make it grow!  I too wanted to call her a bitch [Alana], but I thought there are more words.  I had this creepy professor tell me to stop using profanity!  I now agree, any word that can be all parts of speech may not be particularly expressive. So that vindictive minnow eater Alana, is now what it is.

Y&R fan??  (As in fan of hating Y&R?  lol)  If so, maybe that vindictive minnow eater Alana is related to Summer Newman Abbott Travers.

I too thought that Shane's meeting with EJ and Jeff was a bit suspicious.  I've been curious from the start about whether each group knows about other groups.  Do they know how many people total there are?  Do they know how many are in each group?  Jeff and Hakim found EJ fairly quickly.  But Dani was on her own for a bit.  Curious if she knew there were two others supposedly in her group, or if those two knew they were missing one.

I'm assuming that when each person was approached, they were pitched the idea of an "All Stars" season, so I'm guessing that they know exactly how many people are supposed to be on the show.  As with many things on this show, there is probably a lot of producer intervention to facilitate the "serendiptious" meetings.

I feel bad for Shane too, was what he did so bad that Alana and Danielle have to make it so difficult for him for the remaining time? It's understandable that Jeff isn't eager to have Shane come with him and EJ right off the bat - I wonder if his noted behavior after Alana and Danielle showed up will hurt his chances. It seems like if he's not moving on with Jeff and EJ he'll be the next to tap out.

Unfortunately, it is very likely that Jeff and EJ will see how shiny and smiley Danielle and "that vindictive minnow eater Alana" appear to be --and incorrectly assume that Shane is the problem, not the two... women.

I agree that if the guys won't bring him along with them, Shane will probably be the next to tap out. And that makes me sad. Shane has a *lot* to offer the Alpha Males group, and those two women would only use Jeff and EJ to do all their work while they lie around being lazy (again)!

Like y'all I am disgusted by the way Shane is being treated. ...He seems like he might have some difficult personality traits but don't most of us? I feel like he's heard how bad he is so many times that he thinks he needs to give everyone a heads up about his horribleness. Poor guy.

Exactly. Almost every single survivor I've ever seen on this show has had moments where they get frustrated and angry and lose their cool. It's part of the dehydration, the starving, the lack of sleep, the loneliness, and all the other things they suffer. 

Shane has actually handled himself remarkably well, I think.

I don't understand what happened to Danielle.  I'm suprised she didn't ask Shane to come back when he showed up with his hat in his hands.  She seemed to want to, so maybe she needs to grow a pair and stand up to that vindictive minnow eater Alana.   Poor Shane.  He was irritating at first, but I think he has a good heart.  After he spent so much time feeding the girls and protecting him, that fucking bitch Alana could have given him a fish!

Absolutely! I remember Danielle from before, too. She wasn't like this then. I think the problem is that she has a 'follower' personality, and since Alana is very strong-willed, she just naturally falls in behind the "vindictive minnow eater Alana".

[Alana, "vindictive minnow eater" is definitely your new title, now and forever! (Thanks, Peach.)]

I think one of the big problems is that since the beginning, they've been telling us that the groups will eventually meet up. But if there wasn't a "reason" to leave their original camp, how would they get together? So we assume (correctly) that there is scheming by the producers to convince them to leave their camp, tell them where to go so they'll "randomly encounter" each other, etc. It reeks of producer intervention, which isn't very compelling for a show that's supposed to be about primitive survival.

They've been trying to make this show too much like Survivor, where manipulation and making alliances is more important than the actual survival part.  I'm half expecting to see a reward challenge soon.

They've been trying to make this show too much like Survivor, where manipulation and making alliances is more important than the actual survival part.  I'm half expecting to see a reward challenge soon.

Ooh, ooh! They can do wheelbarrow races (holding the legs, racing with the hands) for phone calls home!

If Jeff Probst shows up to referee the reward challenge I'm out (lol).

Y&R fan??  (As in fan of hating Y&R?  lol)  If so, maybe that vindictive minnow eater Alana is related to Summer Newman Abbott Travers.Y&R fan??  (As in fan of hating Y&R?  lol)  If so, maybe that vindictive minnow eater Alana is related to Summer Newman Abbott Travers.

Peach, I will talk to you in the Y&R thread; I don't care enough about Summer to hate her, but her flailing might hurt someone I love!

I'm rooting for Shane. Alana has been cruel, but I don't think she's as bad as many here think she is. It seems like most of the women go into this thinking all men think they're superior. With her, the feeling is stronger than the others. I think Chris is similar with his views towards women. Chris probably pushed Honora in a similar way. Shane could take it. Honora couldn't.

Am I the only one that DOESN'T feel sorry for Shane? I thought he was a complete a-hole from day one.  He's the one that decided to separate from his tribe.  He asked if he could borrow the fire starter and they said yes without hesitation.  He then went back to them and essentially said the fire starter wasn't working and Alana offered their coals so that he COULD start a fire and then he tells the other guys that they REFUSED to let him use the fire starter?  What I saw was that he threw the fire starter on the ground and walked away. 

Am I the only one that DOESN'T feel sorry for Shane? I thought he was a complete a-hole from day one.  He's the one that decided to separate from his tribe.  He asked if he could borrow the fire starter and they said yes without hesitation.  He then went back to them and essentially said the fire starter wasn't working and Alana offered their coals so that he COULD start a fire and then he tells the other guys that they REFUSED to let him use the fire starter?  What I saw was that he threw the fire starter on the ground and walked away. 

I don't see it that way at all. He separated from the women because they CLEARLY didn't want him around, and the tension was crazy-high. I don't remember him telling them the firestarter wasn't working, but Alana snottily said "why don't you just take all the coals you want and leave the tools at camp?" Meaning, leave the firestarter at HER camp, which HE built. What a pleasant gal. Shane is not a perfect person but Alana loves pushing his buttons, and has treated him like garbage since he introduced himself.

I don't see it that way at all. He separated from the women because they CLEARLY didn't want him around, and the tension was crazy-high. I don't remember him telling them the firestarter wasn't working, but Alana snottily said "why don't you just take all the coals you want and leave the tools at camp?" Meaning, leave the firestarter at HER camp, which HE built. What a pleasant gal. Shane is not a perfect person but Alana loves pushing his buttons, and has treated him like garbage since he introduced himself.

I agree she's not the nicest but to me he started pushing her buttons early on when he would get mad at them for not wanting to do what HE wanted to do. 

She said she wanted an apology and he didn't give that so that's why she didn't give in. 

And I still feel like he made comments that the firestarter was not working for him and she was giving him another suggestion. 

A couple times he came out and said he needed help but the rest was "I can help you".  Well they obviously didn't need his help - he needed theirs and alana was calling his bluff. 

A couple times he came out and said he needed help but the rest was "I can help you".  Well they obviously didn't need his help - he needed theirs and alana was calling his bluff. 

He wasn't accusing them of needing his help. He admitted that he needed help but that he wanted to offer something in return, i.e if they needed help he would provide it in exchange for their help. And clearly the women do need his help, because they keep bitching about how now that he's gone there's nobody to chase away predators. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this, since I have not seen any of the things that you are seeing. *shrug*

why did Alana use the fish trap when Shane was in camp and have fish to share with him? She makes the fish trap only after he leaves camp--ugh! I was disgusted with their gloating about being dry under the raised shelter that Shane made and they bitched about since they didn't want a raised shelter at first--ugh! I worry that the mean girls will manipulate EJ and the other guy. Shane has behaved himself much better than I would have done in a similar situation. My heart felt for him when he overheard them trashing him.