Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Fort Defiance

(edited)

WTH, Abraham? I thought that he infected Nora. Infecting himself with the worms explains a lot. He did look rejuvenated. 

I wonder if Palmer's former bodyguard intends to make trouble on Staten Island. I feel for Palmer's assistant. Her instinct is right that she has made a mistake, but it is too late for her.

I was hoping that we would get more of Gus with Quinlan and his crew. It was cool how they were hanging on to the bottom of the elevator. It is hard to believe that they got caught in that trap so easily.

I had forgotten that Dutch had a girlfriend way back in season one. If Nikki has been turned, she would have gone after her mother so she is probably alive somewhere.

Seriously, they have got to stop showing NYC. By now, everyone has to know about the Strigori. I would expect the cops to wearing full riot gear with protective head gear. It is impossible to believe that the mass transit is still operating and that people are taking the bus and train at night like there is no problem. The bus driver only has a baseball bat? Even on a regular day in NYC, people are alert on the subway platform, but those people ere casually interacting knowing that there are monsters running around. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
(edited)

How dare they kill Cool Awesome Commando Vamp and just leave us with Gus?

All Gus actually does is run around hitting people.

Although if once a week, in the first minute, he knocks out Zack for the rest of the episode, then I'm down with him staying.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3
(edited)

Welp, bye Vombie Team Six!

Really Dutch, you blow Fet in the truck outside that lady's house?

Side eye @ him, for not stopping her.

Curl 2.0 needs his ass beat.

I like Justine, please let her stay show.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

Oh, I laughed when Fet asked Zach, if he was at least carrying and he showed him the huge knife.

The show is so inconsistent in how the worms and stingers infect people. You would think that our people would be infected the way that the body fluids come flying out of the Strigori when they kill them.

• Love 5
(edited)

Seriously, they have got to stop showing NYC. By now, everyone has to know about the Strigori. I would expect the cops to wearing full riot gear with protective head gear. It is impossible to believe that the mass transit is still operating and that people are taking the bus and train at night like there is no problem. The bus driver only has a baseball bat? Even on a regular day in NYC, people are alert on the subway platform, but those people ere casually interacting knowing that there are monsters running around.

That continues to be the most bizarre part of this show -- the subway should be crawling with vamps, but the bus running at night when the Strigoi are roaming the streets is just ridiculous.  If cops are being attacked in the streets, they should be enforcing marshal law.

Although if once a week, in the first minute, he knocks out Zack for the rest of the episode, then I'm down with him staying.

Count me in.  That whole scene with Eph explaining things to Zach was just painful to watch.  And then Zach trashes the lab.  That kid actor is just terrible.

bye Vombie Team Six!

I'm very surprised that they never anticipated that.  I'm hoping that there is a B squad.

Though we did get confirmation that the Internet is still offline.

I'm curious how Abe got the recipe for his worm-based rejuvenation formula.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

That continues to be the most bizarre part of this show -- the subway should be crawling with vamps, but the bus running at night when the Strigoi are roaming the streets is just ridiculous.  If cops are being attacked in the streets, they should be enforcing marshal law.

At minimum, I would expect a curfew making it mandatory for people to be inside by sundown. NYC has the oldest and best public health system in the country. Public health officials would have figured out how to kill Strigori by now, not just Abraham's team. In addition to riot gear, the cops should be armed with UV light. Also, evacuating the healthy people off the island should be a top priority, not setting up food stations. This is bad storytelling that takes up too much screen time.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

So, when Abraham was digging into that giant plate of spaghetti, did anyone else think for maybe.. just like... a tiny fraction of a microsecond.. that he and Nora had figured out a way to really load up on wormpower?

• Love 2

I have liked the show for the most part and the feel is really creepy, but the what the heck was that?

Zach, the obnoxious brat, doing absolutely ridiculous things in the middle of the vampire apocalypse.  Mom is missing him, so he's going to take a bus across town with deadly creatures running around everywhere at night?  Really?  Really?!?!?   

And then when they show him they are looking for a cure, he trashes the lab.  And why does Eph leave him alone in there? 

Eph showed him an up close view of the creature and tells him his mom is one of those.  Nora pulls him out of there and says he's had enough.  What?  Just give him some worms and let him join his mother.  

The only thing worse than the Vampire Apocalypse is a bratty kid in the Vampire Apocalypse. 

And why is Dutch going to look to look for her former girlfriend who stole all her stuff?  Don't you have more important things to do.  Like maybe stop the Vampire Apocalypse.  And if her mom puts out a flyer saying she's missing, she's probably missing and not at her mom's.   Oh my. 

And really, Dutch did you really do that out in the van?  That was just gross.

And what is the deal with the two cops?  We have vampire creatures roaming around and we'll just stroll down an alley and frisk someone. 

And the two people casually kissing at the train.  Really?  What?  You are getting on a train at night with monsters roaming the streets and you have no weapons or common sense, evidently.  Where are they going?  Why?

The law enforcement angle of this is ridiculous.  The National Guard, SWAT teams would be out in force.  Martial law would have been declared and no one would be on the streets, let alone riding a bus or a train.  

I'm losing the will to live with this show.  And no, I don't want any worms.....

But, I'll take some of that spaghetti that Abraham was having, but no eye drops. 

• Love 5

I had to wait an hour before I posted because I wanted to write a fucking missive on how much I wanted that little shit to die! I was rooting for Eph to feed the little shit to the vampire and be done with it, once and for all. I hate that kid. I literally cannot stand the sight of him.

I can't fully blame Max Charles, the writing is so bad for the character he plays Haley Joel Osment circa 1999 couldn't make the little shit likable.

• Love 5

Wait, wait, is this info from the showrunners or the character? She doesn't sound anything like an Eastender! I would have said Aussie or Kiwi at a stretch!

That was a guess from me but according to the show wiki the character is British and the actress herself is from Buckinghamshire, England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruta_Gedmintas

I'm not an expert on British accents but she's definitely not from Australia or New Zealand.

That was a guess from me but according to the show wiki the character is British and the actress herself is from Buckinghamshire, England.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruta_Gedmintas

I'm not an expert on British accents but she's definitely not from Australia or New Zealand.

To be honest, I've only watched a couple of episodes of season 1 and the first two of season 2, but I do know a bit about accents - now I'm curious as to what she's going for. Buckinghamshire is pretty posh, so it would be funny if she's really middle class and trying to pass herself off as working class, cos some of those vowels were weird (which is why I conjectured Aussie).

Now I'm going to have to watch more episodes! WHHYY?! I decided to quit this show (bored). Just when I thought I was out, the accents pull me back in. But I'm not watching the episode with the blowjob in the back of a van. No. Nope. I'll wait.

(edited)

Got to say that I was unfazed by the public sex. The world is ending and human beings are about to be crushed. Might as well go for it.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

"Hey, government of NYC and the United States of America?  We've been fighting this public menance for a while and are actively working on a biological weapon to use against the Strigoi.  Why don't you give us some funding and staff and we can see what we'll be able to accomplish?"

Has it been explained why they haven't done this yet?

Also dear god Zach is the worst.

• Love 1

I can't believe Nora made Eph stop! If anything, he didn't go far enough! Stick that kid's hand in there with the vamp and really put some fear into him.

And bus service still running at night! And subways! 

So apparently, given Abe's current age, he was supposed to be about 13 in his flashback to 1933. That kid did not look 13.

• Love 2

Noooo....not the vampire swat team! :( I was really looking forward to getting to know  Vaun and the rest of the gang. That wasn't the whole crew right? If so, who's gonna do the bidding of and communicate with the elders now? It sucks that they got taken out so tamely, and by Palmer of all people.

I'm really not here for Dutch's contrived lost love story line. We haven't even heard her mention Nikki since she escaped the convenience store, let alone be concerned about her whereabouts and well being, but cue the over the top anguish this episode. The whole thing rung so false. And speaking of loved ones, Fet cared enough to warn his parents (in the vaguest terms possible, of course), but can't be bothered to check in or even wonder aloud about them since everything's gone to hell. 

Zack is completely irredeemable. So he whines about them not finding a cure, but when they actually start working on it, he sabotages their work. I just can't with this kid. If the Master knew what a nuisance he was, he wouldn't want him either.

• Love 3

The loss of Vaughn and the V squad broke my heart.  There were metaphorical tears.  For some reason I expected their riot gear would serve to block some of the worst of the UV light so they could at least escape.  I was so annoyed with them for having taken off their hoods.  But alas, they are dead.  I hope Vaugn's master elder saw that Gus tried to save them because otherwise it could look suspicious if he returns with none of them.

Is Bolivar now the body for the Master?  Several time I got the sense that he was housing the Master and he and his posse were just keeping it quiet to protect the plan and the body until both grew stronger.  

Finally, Zach.  I can't tell if it's the writer's intention to make us loathe him as much as we do or if they think they are writing an angsty yet sympathetic tween.  This character is horrible.  It's bad that I already find myself cheering on the vamps (seriously, was cracking up and hooting when the vampire gang attacked the two cops at the start). There really isn't a human I want to cheer for save Justine Feraldo, but this kid makes even that hard.  I can't wait until Zach gets eaten.  I hope Eph does it.  I hope Eph gets turned so he can lose that awful wig and then he comes after Zach and terrorizes him until Zach finally admits that he was a horrible kid who could have stopped the plague if only he didn't destroy the lab and the virus.  

Wow, I can't believe I've expressed such hostility towards a child character.  I guess it's just a long-winded way of saying "this character sucks, yo."

• Love 3
(edited)

When Bolivar was looking at Palmer in the penthouse, I had a passing thought that the Master was already in that body and was observing Palmer in action, but then I thought that no way would Eichhorst have the Master pulling that worm infested dirt alone at night. I did think it odd that Bolivar was nowhere in sight when Gus and Quinlan arrived at the penthouse though. I cannot  believe how little airtime their interesting storyline has been given so far this season. What a waste.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Wasn't the vamp swat team in sunlight when they took care of the lawyer lady and the maid's daughter.  I thought their clothes were UV proof.  Why didn't they just pull up their hoods.

Also, Nora is an infectious disease doctor.  How does she leave Abraham without finding out how he manages to not turn into a strigoi even when consuming the worms?  Seems like important info to me.

By the way, can Zack die soon?

• Love 3

Got to say that I was unfazed by the public sex. The world is ending and human beings are about to be crushed. Might as well go for it.

Death by proboscis one way or another....

• Love 1

Also, Nora is an infectious disease doctor.  How does she leave Abraham without finding out how he manages to not turn into a strigoi even when consuming the worms?  Seems like important info to me.

Yes, thank you! I think she didn't ask because the writers are not infectious disease researchers. Heh.

That kid is the worst -- like irredeemably awful.  Dutch, meanwhile, is gross. The kid and the ~romance need to be jettisoned, post haste.

Roger Cross! I cheered when he showed up, and then cheered again when his brother was Art Bell.

But then I was sad again when Vombie Team Six got fried.  Also, badass as she is, I want Justine to stay on Staten because I don't want her to become vamp food. That is very selfish and unheroic of me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fitzwilliams!  I'm glad he's finally back.  Between this and Dark Matter, it's becoming the summer of Roger Cross!  Added bonus: his brother is Kevin Hanchard a.k.a. Art from Orphan Black!  OK, I know Tatiana Maslany is out of the question, but I am really hoping that Jordan Garvis (Felix from OB), shows up as a friend of Dutch's or something.  Especially if he points out how lame Zach is every other minute.

Sadly, it looks like Vampire Hit Squad is done for.  They really should have expected that Palmer would have contingency plans. Now, the best hope for the elders is... Gus?  Not very optimistic, at the moment.

So, this entire time, Abraham has been melting down the vamp worms into eye-drops, in order to keep his youth?  That's so random, and now I'm wondering how long he's been keeping this act up.  At least he finally told Nora, because I'm sure this is somehow going to cause problems down the road.

Everyone seems to love Justine, and I am fine with that.  I certainly would trade her for a few other characters on this show.

Still not enough Eichorst, but he continues to make the most of his screen time.

Dutch know is suddenly curious about what happened to her girlfriend that bailed on her back in season one, and is now dragging Vasiliy along. Then again, she is giving him random blowjobs in the front of the van, so I guess he can't complain too much...

And then there is Zach.  He honestly is almost single-handily dragging down this show.  Everything about him sucks.  His acting, the way he talks to everyone (has been respectful to anyone?), his motivations, his attitude, etc.  He's the worst.  Really, I don't care if Eph looses his shot at Father of the Year (ha!), watching him shove that little punk's face right next to the vamp, was the greatest. As far as I'm concerned, that was the most I ever liked Eph and he's a damn hero for it.  But it probably won't be enough.  That kid will no doubt ruin things somewhere down the line. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3
So apparently, given Abe's current age, he was supposed to be about 13 in his flashback to 1933. That kid did not look 13.

Yeah, more like 8.  OTOH, I was glad they addressed the age thing because all during S1 I did mental gymnastics trying to figure out how Abraham could have been a young adult in 1944 yet so relatively spry in 2014.

(edited)

Oh, that's right. I forgot about Bolivar's nose. So maybe it actually stays on for a while. Seems weird that the Ancients wouldn't have anybody older working for them, though. I mean, Eichorst is over a century old, if you include human years. There must be some reason for the faster turnover.

Edited by CletusMusashi

I wonder how Abraham figured out that liquidating worms and putting them in his eyes will keep him alive.  There had to have been some trial and error.

Eph is going to release his test subject to determine if his virus/bacteria transmission will work.  How's he going to know if he doesn't see what happens to his test subject and the re-infected vamps?  It would be easier to drag some vamps to the lab and to experiment on them. 

Still no clue why the show wants Zach 2.0 to be a little asshole.  Zach 1.0 had a good relationship with his father.  Now, Zach 2.0 wouldn't care if Eph was vamp food.  His constant bitchface is tiring. 

Fet always knows what to say.  He's comforting in his own way.  I hope that the show re-visits his parents.

Dutch is meh, and her relationship with Fet is tolerable  I just don't care about her angst and guilt.  This show seems to want Dutch to have layers or to want the audience to root for her redemption.  She needs to take advice from Eph and drink away her guilt.

I don't want to believe that the good vamps are dead.  Gus is badass, but he needs a crew.  

Palmer's assistant really took some liberties.  She had no trouble being critical to her new boss right to his face.  Palmer will get his comeuppance, but I wouldn't be too sad if the assistant is dragged with him.

Good to see Fitzwilliams again. 

• Love 1

Wow, Eph/Zach.  Worst father/son duo ever.  I try to feel for the kid - I always liked Carl on TWD - but Zach is almost at Waalllllt levels with the whole mom thing.

Then again, the cops in the city don't seem overly concerned with vampire so attacks so why should the kid be? 

Don't care about Dutch's guilt either.  So she blows Fet to spite the missing GF's mother?  OK.

Fet is still awesome as is Abraham (though.,,ick) vamp squad was disappointing and Gus's development was interesting. 

Can we have young Abraham stories again??  I liked the last couple of weeks better than this one.

Ugh for a moment there during the first episode I thought Zack 2.0 was an improvement over Zach 1.0.  Boy was I wrong.  When Eph was talking to the Master via that vamp test subject and saying that he would kill Zach before he let him be infected my only thought was 'why wait?" Every heard of George W Bush's post 9/11 strategy of Preemptive Strike?

The only person worth a damn right now is the Congresswoman from Staten Island.

The hell Vaun!

I wonder how Abraham figured out that liquidating worms and putting them in his eyes will keep him alive.  There had to have been some trial and error.

Yikes! Interesting point.

Yeah... let's hope that sticking them into his eyes was only the second experiment that he tried...

Fet always knows what to say.

OMG I told Mr Mojeaux this verbatim.

Vombie Team Six: I haz a sad, but half of my sad is because it was too easy. The second they walked into Palmer’s office and no one was there, I wondered how well they did their research. I was disappointed in their bad-assery.

I, too, would be very happy if mother Kelly and Son Zach were reunited. For teh feelz.

I thought the blow job was awesome because, well, I’m sick and twisted that way. I’d do that for Mr Mojeaux if he let me. TMI?

I thought Abe telling Nora about his elixir of youth was better than letting her think he was dying. I figured he had to be ingesting it somehow because men his age usually...aren’t.

Re the master’s next host. I think Eichhorst believes HE will be the chosen one. Boy, is he in for a letdown.

Edited by Mojeaux