Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: One Blood

• Start Topic

I enjoyed that episode. I do when they focus on Dutch. I have to admit that I prefer the name, Yala to Dutch. How did her mentor/trainer walk away alive after she stabbed him multiple times? She looked shocked.

The Asian Killjoy is hot and sexy as hell. I would do him. 

The doctor was pathetic practically begging an uninterested D'avin to be with her. Why does the doctor have to be so desperate for D'avin? He is that good in bed? Come on. 

Okay, the scene in that preview better not happen. It would ruin the show for me.

• Love 2

I have a strong feeling that the preview is misleading - but I would LOVE where it misleads to!  For those who don't though, I have a feeling you're safe and that it is indeed misleading. 

Ian Tracey!  I was wondering when he would show up, since he's in every Canada-based show ever.  He was the leader of the family or whatever they were.  And who was it that played the General dude that Pawter was trying to get info from, because he looked very famailar.

Liked that they brought back the rival Killjoy from the pilot.  He's a pretty decent recurring antagonist.  Figured it was going to end with him taking out Joe, since I don't think they are ready to have Dutch go dark enough to actually kill her mentor.  Speaking of mentors, what is up with Rob Stewart's character not getting hurt by Dutch's stabbings?  Is he immortal or something?  So many questions about his character.  And what is going on that even he seems to be panicking?  Someone out there worse then him?

Not liking them planting seeds of Dutch/D'avin possibly happening, and John feeling left out because of it.  If they really want to have romance and sex on here, I'd take them just sticking with D'avin/Pawter, then having to put up with that.  Sadly though, that is probably what's going to happen.

Some funny lines and interactions in this one: especially with the rival Killjoy and D'avin/John's annoyance with him.

• Love 2

I'm actually enjoying the flirty vibes between D'Avin and Dutch so I wouldn't mind things going further. I wouldn't mind if they just stay flirty. I don't think John necessarily has to feel left out of that. He knows both Dutch and D'Avin would die for him.

I agree that Pawter seemed really pathetic practically bribing D'Avin to stick with her. She seems to be going to a lot of trouble to help a guy she barely knows, great sex or not. That makes me wonder if she's not up to something. Plus, it was mentioned in an earlier episode that Dutch doesn't like her and this episode she suggested to D'Avin that maybe he should get a new doctor.

So Khylen is stab proof. What's up with that?

Was the Level 6 stuff really an urban legend or, despite John's assertion, is it really a thing?

I'm glad Dutch came clean with the boys. Of course they're in it with her.

Fancy Lee is cool. And he's right, everyone needs an asshole. Lol

• Love 3

It was good to see Fancy again. I like his character. Plus, he's super hot.

I felt terrible for Dutch this episode. I'm glad that she has finally let the boys know what's going on and I'm still intrigued by the situation.

I'm hoping the Dutch/D'avin hookup in the preview is misdirection. I think it's probably a hallucination.

• Love 1

LOVED the ep.  As for Dutch and D'avin's possible hookup?  As much as I really, really don't want to see it, I'm going to try and go with where the show wants to take me on this, because I've been really impressed with the way they've unfolded all the plotlines so far, they've earned a little faith from me.  And the way they've set it up, they almost have to go there, or at least imply really hard that they are, to play up John insecurities.  

That weapon... wow. I wonder what is the range. Perhaps someone of the family would have survived if they were further away from the shed.

It reminded me of that one Fringe episode with a toxin customly made to target a genome.

So, Johnny did know about the creepy mentor, as he understood perfectly when Dutch uttered his name. Why did Dutch think she can actually deal with her problem alone, beats me. I still love her, though...

...and so does Khylen, it seems. I'd like to think of it as twisted father/daughter relationship. His reaction to that farmer was quite adorable. "If he hurts you, I'll tear his arms off". On the other hand, hh's nearly unkillable. Perhaps this DNA oriented weapon is the only way to kill him?

The doctor... well, I kind of congratulated her on her resoucefullness in getting the access to company's database... But it was bound to kick her in her fine arse. The bartender read her right - she has a saviour complex and needs to help the broken guys so that they're bound to her with loyalty. But even though such loyalty can give her good sex, it won't give her love. Which she probably starts to feel towards D'avin... (I don't understand that choice, but I share Lucy's taste in men)

That possible D'avin/Dutch hookup... Well, I hope it's either a halucination/dream or drug induced awkward foreplay that ends quicker than it started. Funny, but i wouldn't mind Dutch/Johnny. Really. So the only way D'Dutch works for me is if it's a steamy threesome with the other brother. Yes, I said it. I regret nothing.

• Love 5

I just love all the world building they manage to get done on the side. The story about the Leithian farmers losing their land because it's handed over to 7th generation Westerleys was chilling although it got nearly lost among all the main action.

Since bloodlines are so important on this show I suppose the weapon poses the biggest threat to the Nine. But it was found on a Company ship and the Nine control the Company. Also it's not clear why this should scare Khylen. Unless it poses a threat to Dutch who seems to be the only person he cares about. So she may have Nine blood who knows.

Not sure what's going on with Pawter - the desperate clinging to D'avin looked out of character and felt jarring. A minor misstep - if they want to set up Dutch/D'avin (which was always a strong possibility whether we like it or not) they should give that more time and not at the expense of other characters. Pawter's intro was cool and she deserves better than her character being sacrificed for that ship. I'm still interested in her character's backstory, what happened that got her kicked out of Qresh?

Fancy Lee: now that's how you establish an a**hole character everybody loves to hate. Great antagonist/occasional ally. I hope we get to see more of him.

• Love 7
(edited)

Can I talk about Fancy for a minute?  Cuz this episode was, imo, a character establishing episode for him as much as it was a world building episode outside of the core three.

This is how you do a recurring antagonist really well.  He is a clear rival to our heroes but he isn't necessarily a bad guy.  They've established he is pure RAC.  'The Warrant is all' and in pursuit of that he creates awesome inventions whose sole purpose is to bring in the warrant.  Also because of it he'll do some things that are unpopular and may seem unfeeling or cold, but he is coming at it from a place of conviction.   I thought it was interesting that while the other RACs were joking and hanging out he sat apart with his back to them, both at the start of the show and at the end of the show.  Probably telgraphing that he will not create relationships with them because, as we saw, they may be called to hunt one of their own.  And as we saw, none of them but him could pull the trigger on Joe. 

Anyway, I thought it was a really good character study given in small but important bites amongs the bigger story.

By contrast the Pawter stuff felt off.  As @MissLucas. says, it felt jarring and took me out of the story and made me slide a little to the negative side of the scale for a character I was largely neutral on. 

One last, small complaint, I wish the Killyjoys were a little more gender & racially balanced.  i think I counted one other woman outside of Dutch and one other POC other than Dutch & Fancy.  The show is much better about diversity than so many other shows, but in a gathering of Killyjoys I would have wished it wasn't so overwhelming white & male still.

And finally on a very shallow note, the bartender guy is so pretty it almost hurts to look at him straight on. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9
(edited)

Since bloodlines are so important on this show I suppose the weapon poses the biggest threat to the Nine. But it was found on a Company ship and the Nine control the Company. Also it's not clear why this should scare Khylen. Unless it poses a threat to Dutch who seems to be the only person he cares about. So she may have Nine blood who knows.

I think that you might be right about Dutch being an offspring of one of the Nine. Khylen talked about having orders too. So maybe Dutch's family had him train and raise her as a child and are still keeping tabs on her. This would be very interesting if it trues out to be the direction that the story is going.

Can I talk about Fancy for a minute?  Cuz this episode was, imo, a character establishing episode for him as much as it was a world building episode outside of the core three.

This is how you do a recurring antagonist really well.  He is a clear rival to our heroes but he isn't necessarily a bad guy.  They've established he is pure RAC.  'The Warrant is all' and in pursuit of that he creates awesome inventions whose sole purpose is to bring in the warrant.  Also because of it he'll do some things that are unpopular and may seem unfeeling or cold, but he is coming at it from a place of conviction.   I thought it was interesting that while the other RACs were joking and hanging out he sat apart with his back to them, both at the start of the show and at the end of the show.  Probably telgraphing that he will not create relationships with them because, as we saw, they may be called to hunt one of their own.  And as we saw, none of them but him could pull the trigger on Joe. 

One last, small complaint, I wish the Killyjoys were a little more gender & racially balanced.  i think I counted one other woman outside of Dutch and one other POC other than Dutch & Fancy.  The show is much better about diversity than so many other shows, but in a gathering of Killyjoys I would have wished it wasn't so overwhelming white & male still.

And finally on a very shallow note, the bartender guy is so pretty it almost hurts to look at him straight on. 

I agree that the character development of Fancy was very good. I would prefer for Dutch to be in a complicated romantic or sexual relationship with him than D'avin. If anything there would be more conflict with Dutch's team competing with Fancy for warrants.

I too would like the show to have more gender and ethnic diversity in the supporting cast as well as among the extras. The Killjoys were way too white and male. 

The bartender is very good looking. I was hoping that D'avin would hook up with him and the doctor rather than get involved with Dutch.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
(edited)

Second week in a row I fell asleep. Like last week, I'm not feeling an urge to catch up on demand. Well, The Messengers is over, so I'll see it at 9 next week!

Trying to pin the boredom down, in addition to the basic nondrama of Killjoys executing warrants premise, I think the rest of the problem is the Black Widow story line is not only too recent and specific an angle to be at all fresh, I recently and specifically dislike it. I can see what Joss Whedon was trying to do, but I've never felt he succeeded at all. Kicking ass is not moral agency, never was, never will be. Dutch was a mercenary as a child, and still is. No change, no drama.

D'Avin should hook up with Dutch to give him a reason to stay in the show. The sibling rivalry they've stupidly committed to means it'll matter to the characters which one is more bad ass, so it can't end. And writing them as equals is nonsense. Even worse, being a Killjoy has nothing to do with solving the mystery of who wiped D'Avin's memory. The only logical explanation is that D'Avin took the job to kill his buddies, but insisted on having his memory wiped so he'd be safe from being killed as a loose end. Any scenario where D'Avin was compelled leaves him as a loose end, who didn't even know to run away. I'm sorry but every indication is the writing on this show just isn't up to snuff.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

There is no particular reason why I dislike the show as much as I do. The world building is interesting and I like how important blood lines are and having Killjoys seemingly in the middle is an interesting idea but none of it seems to be coming together for me. I downright hate D'Avin. Dutch and Johnnys friendship is interesting and the show would have worked better with just them but then I guess the show needed a side mystery besides Dutch's past and bloodline.

Still I am lazy and watch the show because it is between Defiancd and Dark Matter, two shows I geniunly enjoy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, things are actually progressing in this show, including a ton of  advancement for Dutch's personal serial plot.  But I suppose that's "boring".  Who needs forward motion anyways?

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 2

Can I talk about Fancy for a minute? Cuz this episode was, imo, a character establishing episode for him as much as it was a world building episode outside of the core three.

This is how you do a recurring antagonist really well. He is a clear rival to our heroes but he isn't necessarily a bad guy. They've established he is pure RAC. 'The Warrant is all' and in pursuit of that he creates awesome inventions whose sole purpose is to bring in the warrant. Also because of it he'll do some things that are unpopular and may seem unfeeling or cold, but he is coming at it from a place of conviction. I thought it was interesting that while the other RACs were joking and hanging out he sat apart with his back to them, both at the start of the show and at the end of the show. Probably telgraphing that he will not create relationships with them because, as we saw, they may be called to hunt one of their own. And as we saw, none of them but him could pull the trigger on Joe.

Anyway, I thought it was a really good character study given in small but important bites amongs the bigger story...

I agree with all this. I also wondered if part of the reason Fancy took it upon himself to kill Joe was specifically so Dutch wouldn't have to.

• Love 1

Who needs forward motion anyways?

Somebody who didn't see Dutch's story in giant screen multimillion dollar budget in Avengers: Age of Ultron, for a start. Also someone who needs a character with more motive than I didn't like being a mercenary for him but I'm cool with being a mercenary for them. 

• Love 1

My issue with Dutch is her aversion to killing.  I already am seeing that on Defiance and with more emotional continuity with Irisa and her father.   It is way to soon in a show like this having a character not want to kill especially with all the violence going on around and especially with a warrent.   That is twice already she has gone against a level five? warrant.  How is she still alive herself?   Once I can buy as a cheap and clean way of getting D'Avin on the show the second time I am having issues with her storyline and am thinking  the only reason for it (Especially this episode) was the whole "I am asshole hear me roar" character plot.    If that is not it then I need some serious backstory as to who and what she really is and this no kill warrant thing is a continued issue that has only now become a problem.  

(edited)

Killjoys generally have some agency on which warrants they accept. That is why Dutch hasn't had a problem with her no kill stance in the past. She simply doesn't take on level 5 warrants.

I wouldn't really classify her reluctance to kill Joe as an example of her no kill stance going against the warrant. The scene would have played out the same way even if she wasn't averse to killing. There were other issues at play there. It's not like the other killjoys were rushing to do the job either. Also, I question whether the change in warrant meant that she would be held responsible for fulfilling it anyway. It's possible that it would be considered a new warrant that had to be accepted.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 1

Somebody who didn't see Dutch's story in giant screen multimillion dollar budget in Avengers: Age of Ultron, for a start. Also someone who needs a character with more motive than I didn't like being a mercenary for him but I'm cool with being a mercenary for them. 

I still doubt we'll be seeing Dutch's backstory involving her being made sterile as a closing ritual for her "training" and flirting with a guy who turns into a big green monster...

My issue with Dutch is her aversion to killing. 

So... she'd be ok, if she was killing people with zeal?

From what I gather, Dutch was conditioned to kill from an early age. She resented at first, but became really good at it. Still, her conscience bothered her about taking lives (yes, a conscience can do that to some people - vide Elliot Spencer). Once she had a chance, she escaped her old assassin life and her semi-unstable mentor. But girl's gotta eat and she - most probably - wouldn't want to become a prostitute (hey, it's her choice). So she took on a job that fit her skills, but she still refused to kill if not in self-defence (this conscience again! Pesky conscience!)

• Love 6

Also someone who needs a character with more motive than I didn't like being a mercenary for him but I'm cool with being a mercenary for them. 

But I think the clear difference is of personal autonomy.  With the one, she had no choice  -- she was a small child who was in essence being abused, coerced and most likely her personal freedom was proscribed.  As an adult with the RAC she chooses what warrants she wants to pursue and has freedom of movement.

In other words, a slave picks cotton because his master makes him and he hates it.  But if that slave was now a free man with a farm of his own, he'd happily pick his own cotton.

And maybe in being able to choose what warrants she picks up, she feels she is actually helping to bring justice rather than being used as a weapon to kill people for reasons she is never given.  With her old mentor I got the impression that he never bothers to explain to her why her targets were to be killed.  So for all she knew she was killing decent people just to get them out of the way so bad people to get ahead.  Given that he is trying to force her to go  back to what she knows is a life of no freedom and no choice and doing something that she finds anathema to her, I think that is her fighting against that is a very strong character motive.

• Love 8

Another episode I liked that had a few surprises.

The team basically failed all around, Dutch's friend and a innocent family is dead, the weapon is back with the Company, and the Dr. Is arrested. Lose all around.

Which makes things interesting.

• Love 2

I don't know why the show feels it has to jump right into a possible Dutch/D'avin pairing. I like it when shows build slowly, test the waters first and see how it goes. Plus, I uber-hate "love triangles" which is what it will end up being (even if it's just in the sense of Johnny feeling like a third wheel if they get together). I'd much rather they be a platonic trio with their love interests being outside their little group.

I think there could be some truth to the Level Six legend. Perhaps that is what D'avin was a part of in the military that he can no longer remember.

• Love 2
(edited)

But I think the clear difference is of personal autonomy. With the one, she had no choice -- she was a small child who was in essence being abused, coerced and most likely her personal freedom was proscribed. As an adult with the RAC she chooses what warrants she wants to pursue and has freedom of movement.

In other words, a slave picks cotton because his master makes him and he hates it. But if that slave was now a free man with a farm of his own, he'd happily pick his own cotton.

And maybe in being able to choose what warrants she picks up, she feels she is actually helping to bring justice rather than being used as a weapon to kill people for reasons she is never given. With her old mentor I got the impression that he never bothers to explain to her why her targets were to be killed. So for all she knew she was killing decent people just to get them out of the way so bad people to get ahead. Given that he is trying to force her to go back to what she knows is a life of no freedom and no choice and doing something that she finds anathema to her, I think that is her fighting against that is a very strong character motive.

But none of this has been told to the audience or even hinted at excrpt for a few throw away lines. All you are getting us "impressions" and "maybes". Personally (and this is just my opinion). The show would have done better if it started with Dutch and Co serving random warrants and then eased its way into conspiracy land. I am usually not a big fan of case of the week shows but this show would have done well starting off as one and built its way up to something more at a later date.

I think my overall problem is that it seems like we've jumped into season three of a show and are expected to have season 3 knowledge of characters we just met.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't know why the show feels it has to jump right into a possible Dutch/D'avin pairing. I like it when shows build slowly, test the waters first and see how it goes.

With sci-fi shows, I'm ok if they let them progress a little faster (if there is actual chemistry - I feel that there is here) because half the time they cancel the show before anything gets to go anywhere.  I like a little *action* with my action shows, and prefer it not to be only with one of characters who are there one episode and gone the next.

D'avin and Dutch hint at their mutual attraction this week without discussing it.  It comes up on the show enough to justify if something happens but without it being overbearing, in my opinion.  And so far there is no hint at relationship type feelings - more just of a sexual desire nature - which I think at this stage of knowing each other is more realistic.  I like Dutch's awkward trying to look elsewhere or be otherwise busy when Pawter shows up and D'Avin walks off to meet her.  The subtle nods like that are nice - it may not be considered subtle to some, but to me in the context of this type of over-the-top show it's pretty subtle. 

But none of this has been told to the audience or even hinted at excrpt for a few throw away lines. All you are getting us "impressions" and "maybes".

I think it takes a larger leap in logic to assume she is OK with killing someone she obviously considered a friend, based on what we know of her than assuming the opposite.  She doesn't take kill warrants, but will kill for self defense - this far more heavily suggests she doesn't like to kill because she is told to but will kill based on her own moral code (ie. self defense, defense of her friends).  Dutch not wanting to kill her friend should be our default expectation rather than something we would have had to learn about her.  For example, the RAC agent who did shoot Joe had to give exposition earlier to explain that he is the person that sometimes has to do the things that others wouldn't.  She has also shown that "the warrant is all" doesn't mean she doesn't have her own view.  She hoped that returning the weapon could give mercy for Joe for example - it wasn't just about returning him for the warrant, she hoped the warrant could be rescinded or leniency could be shown.  I may have gotten this Joe character's name wrong...

What exactly has the show shown us to suggest otherwise about Dutch's character?

Edited by Tigris Tv
  • Love 5

I love that the show is respecting my intelligence enough to show rather than tell me who these people are.  That's part of the fun for me, to make judgements about the characters and their motivations, given the circumstances and context and then see where that takes the story.  And I love that I'm continuing to get more of a Dark Angel vibe from Dutch, rather than anything Marvel-esque.  She's obviously been through some bad sh*t, but she's not jaded or wounded to the point of it being a liability (and I think her relationship with Johnny is a large part of that).  She's choosing to be constrained by her personal moral code, but not to the point of weakness.  

• Love 3

I'm enjoying the slow burn world building and relationship building.

I'd rather characters not get into speeches about why they do things they do unless it's entertaining like Fancy's dialogue which could be simplified to "I'm an asshole because it's sometimes necessary to do the things that other people would rather not do themselves."

I don't need a justification for why Dutch doesn't want to kill someone she liked and who helped mentor her.

I am way more curious about her previous handler. I kept waiting for him to lift his shirt and reveal some kind of body armor or something.

Way to leave me hanging show :P

• Love 9

Seriously. We are shown how much Dutch likes and respects Big John and considers him a mentor that she likes. Especially when he's contrasted with the Khylen, the mentor she despises. Do we really need it spelled out in the script just why she might not want to execute him in cold blood?

• Love 8

Now I'm really curious about Level 6... Aaron Ashmore made a tweet about it and I'm wondering if the Dutch/D'avin hookup's main purpose is more to alienate Johnny from Dutch and D'av, and make him more susceptible to being tempted if presented with an opportunity to leave the team... and get himself into trouble.  

Now I'm really curious about Level 6... Aaron Ashmore made a tweet about it and I'm wondering if the Dutch/D'avin hookup's main purpose is more to alienate Johnny from Dutch and D'av, and make him more susceptible to being tempted if presented with an opportunity to leave the team... and get himself into trouble.  

... and then the cliffhanger at the end of the season would be Dutch and D'avin looking for missing Johnny (There's a scene in the "this season on KillJoys" trailer with Dutch saying "I will find you" in a rather soft manner. At first i thought she was talking about her mentor, but now I'm not so sure...)

... and then the cliffhanger at the end of the season would be Dutch and D'avin looking for missing Johnny (There's a scene in the "this season on KillJoys" trailer with Dutch saying "I will find you" in a rather soft manner. At first i thought she was talking about her mentor, but now I'm not so sure...)

Yes!!  I was thinking the same thing!! I was just looking up how many episodes were left, and it looks like Killyoys is only 10 eps, so four more left.  I actually love the shorter season (and I think other shows could benefit from this... I'm looking straight at you, Supernatural), but it will make for a VERY long hiatus (assuming it's renewed... all possible body parts crossed that it will be).  Man, I've fallen hard for this show really, really fast.  Argh.  

• Love 3

Yes!!  I was thinking the same thing!! I was just looking up how many episodes were left, and it looks like Killyoys is only 10 eps, so four more left.  I actually love the shorter season (and I think other shows could benefit from this... I'm looking straight at you, Supernatural), but it will make for a VERY long hiatus (assuming it's renewed... all possible body parts crossed that it will be).  Man, I've fallen hard for this show really, really fast.  Argh.  

Yup, I've fallen hard for the show as well. Must be a resident FireFly emotion.

This is the moment from the trailer I was thinking of:

https://youtu.be/M9Qxg4qgcwA?t=43s

I thought it was more "simmering with rage" than soft.  I figured somebody hurt Johnny, and Dutch was on her way to make some people bleed.

Thanks for the link Ariah!  I hadn't seen that.  From just that snippet, I don't see rage Mars477 (her eyes are too open, if that makes sense... she looks more like she could be fighting back tears), but if Johnny does leave, I could see her being a mixture of hurt, afraid for him, angry with him for not trusting her, etc.  It will be interesting to see that scene in context!!  I have been really impressed with Hannah's range and consistency of emotions.  

But none of this has been told to the audience or even hinted at excrpt for a few throw away lines. All you are getting us "impressions" and "maybes". Personally (and this is just my opinion). The show would have done better if it started with Dutch and Co serving random warrants and then eased its way into conspiracy land. I am usually not a big fan of case of the week shows but this show would have done well starting off as one and built its way up to something more at a later date.

I think my overall problem is that it seems like we've jumped into season three of a show and are expected to have season 3 knowledge of characters we just met.

Yeah, I think this is one of those 'YMMV' deals.  For me, the speculation about what they mean/do/feel  is part of the fun of a show like this.  If they don't tell enough, then it can be frustrating and problematic because you are doing too much specualting.  If they tell too much, then they run the risk of 'telling' and not 'showing' and that much exposition slows down action.  In my opinion, I personally think the show is hitting just the right happy medium for me. 

Coincidentally, one of my favorite Sci-fi/fantasy authors these days, Ben Aaronvitch (seriously if you like reading genre fiction, his Rivers of London series is fantastic) tweeted about Killjoys just a few days ago:

Killjoys - draw your characters with bold strokes, know your own world and do your exposition on the fly - no bad, not bad at all...

This is a good precis about how the show seems to be approaching its storytelling. 

• Love 5

I second the Rivers of London recommend.

I didn't realize we are only getting ten episodes. I don't mind not getting broadcast network standard length seasons, but ten seems so short. I wish it was at least getting 13 episodes like Dark Matter is getting. I'd much rather watch three more episodes of Killjoys than that one.

• Love 2

Another good episode.  I loved that Johnny already knew who Khlyen was, once again showing how close he and Dutch are. I liked seeing the camaraderie of the killjoys and I liked finding out Dutch's name.  I loved Fancy Lee and his smirk.  He had some cool tech I want him and Johnny to become tech buddies. I also like how eventually Johnny seemed to respect  who Fancy Lee is and the role he plays in the big picture of the killjoys(he can do what he does and still be Johnny;s tech buddy).

I didn't like the Dutch and D'avin flirting and looks(though, who can blame D'avin after last weeks episode, Dutch was all types of awesome.) Also for D'avin being so brand new I didn't like how slick he was talking to Fancy Lee.  I get the dude tried to kill him but he was only doing his job and it wasn't personal. Not enough Dutch and Johnny time.

I'm also afraid that they're telegraphing a Dutch/D'avin hook-up. Fancy even outright asked if it had happened yet right before his awesome asshole speech. I really hope we see more of Fancy and his amusing brand of douchebaggery.

Pawter's clingyness to D'avin and her sloppy spywork made me lose a lot of respect for her. The guy wasn't even completely unconscious when she was manhandling him. She's a shrink, right? Couldn't she have hypnotized him or erased his memory or something? C'mon show, I thought she was cooler than that.

I like seeing bits of Dutch's backstory and how it plays into the larger role of the politics of this world. We know she grew up in a royal harem, which connects her to the six families and the Company. And yet it seemed that Khlyen was working to steal the weapon from the Company. Plus, the RAC and the Company have some kind of shady history together. Hopefully it all ties together before the season ends.

• Love 1

Pawter's sloppy work is a bit odd, what's the point if you are going to do it so bad you get caught within a day (or so it seemed)? 

Happy the red box stuff got interesting finally and curious to see what everything leads to. Made that backstory worth it (kind of felt that was always going to eventually be the case but still nice it wasn't dragged out any longer). 

Hoping Fancy gets more screen time, like his asshatery and confidence plus the interactions between him and the crew. If they ever decided to add a fourth member to the team, love for it to be him, though he'd never actually join. 

10 episode seasons wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the fact it'll be a year before the show comes back if/when it's renewed. Have the same problem with 13 episode seasons. Keeps the plot(s) from dragging on too long at least I guess though. 

I like seeing bits of Dutch's backstory and how it plays into the larger role of the politics of this world. We know she grew up in a royal harem, which connects her to the six families and the Company. And yet it seemed that Khlyen was working to steal the weapon from the Company. Plus, the RAC and the Company have some kind of shady history together. Hopefully it all ties together before the season ends.

My theory is that Dutch is probably a member of one of the Nine families.  Maybe an illegitimate child or whatever counts for illegitimate on Qresh.  And Khylen works for Dutch's family.  Even though the nine families are referred to as monolithcally powerful, we've already seen in the one episode how they are not above trying to gain advantage over each other and how tense everything was when it seemed like the one family would be completely wiped out if that kid wasn't born.  Since the weapon can literally obliterate  an entire bloodline, whoever has control of it would have an immense advantage.

• Love 1

Wasn't there a line where Dutch asks Kylen why he was in the Quadrant? It made me wonder if they weren't both from some other part of space. Perhaps she had been trained to infiltrate royalty?

That's definitely a possibility, I think it also could be that Khylen left The Quad after whatever happened "that day" for parts unknown... until now.  And then Yala became Dutch, moved to Westerly and reinvented herself.  

Wasn't there a line where Dutch asks Kylen why he was in the Quadrant? It made me wonder if they weren't both from some other part of space. Perhaps she had been trained to infiltrate royalty?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Maybe she's a member of a family that has been kicked out of the exclusive Nine Club a long time ago?

The whole concept of a weapon designed to attack a bloodline is a tad flimsy though. I don't think one of the Nine could use that against any competition - from the way this society is described intermarriage between the Nine must happen frequently. My knowledge about genetics is a bit hazy but I see plenty of problems here.

It might have a pretty specific range, so if you're outside the radius, you're okay.  But yeah, I could definitely see that being more useful to a family that wanted to move up, rather than one of the Nine.  

I really hope we get to see Fancy again. I love his attitude and his cool gadgets, plus the actor is ridiculously attractive. 

This show keeps getting better! I just hope they lay off on the Davin/Dutch stuff. Listen to Fancy, avoid all unnecessary romance! 

• Love 3

You know what is interesting about all the Fancy love? In the pilot he did not only try to kill D'avin but also Dutch (I had completely forgotten about that until I rewatched the pilot). And yet here we are - asking for more Fancy. Now that is some good writing.

• Love 3

Yeah, that's the thing... he's honorable.  Trying to kill D'av and Dutch was the proper thing to do per the RAC's code in those situations.  This show definitely has some of the best supporting cast of any show:  Fancy, Pree, Bellus, Khlyen, Turin... I love them all!  

• Love 2