Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Dip doesn't want to retire as they've read that if you retire you lose cognitive abilities. 

It's mean to laugh at this , but  having read all these Dip stories that is funny.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

@theredhead77, why wasn't the CSR reprimanded or even fired?   We had someone who'd worked for the company at least 5 years, seemed ok enough (a little odd personality but did their job) who really messed up an account, where it cost the company a few hundred thousand dollars to fix.  That person was let go a few weeks back, shocking everyone.

I'm not sure her manager was made aware of the email outbursts. My boss was going to say something but the other managers handled it. We also didn't lose them as a customer from the company, just the online purchasing. CSR may get her way and they will continue to fax their orders (giving her more busy work) for now.
DIP sounds like someone floating by with technology. I've worked with people like that. I'd hedge my bets he'd love to retire but can't afford to, so the "lose cognitive abilities" is their excuse, either in public or they've led themselves to believe it.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2017 at 2:36 PM, theredhead77 said:

Actually, you're wrong. We almost lost their online business and if it weren't for the Account Manager's boss (Big Boss), who used to be their Account Manager, we would have. After this screw up, despite the resolution, they were going to go back to faxing their orders because "[CSR Rep] said they could. Never-mind she's the one that fucked it up in the first place. The Big Boss told the customer that going back to faxing was not an option, they are required to order online if they want the pricing they received. He also reiterated the issue was caused by the CSR rep, not the online system.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that's how it went. I would have expected them to have a better opinion of your company because of you. I certainly would have.

6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

DIP sounds like someone floating by with technology. I've worked with people like that. I'd hedge my bets he'd love to retire but can't afford to, so the "lose cognitive abilities" is their excuse, either in public or they've led themselves to believe it.

I cannot understand someone with that type of mindset. I have learned to use a good bit of technology because I had to use it in my workplace at that time. I have learned various aspects of technology, such as certain software programs, not because I had to but because I was curious to see how they worked and if I could use them to make my professional or personal life a little easier. I'm old enough to have seen drastic changes in technology in the workplace; I remember many years ago being all excited because a client was able to mail us a disk containing the files we needed to use for publishing part of their materials, instead of mailing us paper copies that we would have to pay someone to input manually.  I know there are people my age and sometimes younger who have trouble adapting to changes in technology. But I have also occasionally encountered someone who is just barely functional with basic technology and standard programs, and I fail to understand this. If you are going to be in the workforce, why would you set yourself up for failure by not learning how to do basic functions? I've seen people who will not get really skilled at using some software programs/functions, because they figure they can always dump part of their work on someone else or avoid getting asked to do those things because everybody knows that person's level of incompetence. However, someone who doesn't know even the basics of whatever technology is used in his/her work is just asking to be let go. 

On 5/27/2017 at 9:27 AM, hoosier80 said:

Dip doesn't want to retire as they've read that if you retire you lose cognitive abilities. 

From reading your stories, I'm not sure Dip has any cognitive skills now.

• Love 3

I haven't bitched about work since May 23 (two weeks!), so it's that time again. This is scattered. I'm sorry.

The corporate marketing position for our overall office (general business development and proposals/presentations for the whole office) became available because the woman in the position decided not to return to work after being on maternity leave. She tried to get part-time hours, but the company (or whoever) wouldn't agree to it.

I've applied for it. It's got its drawbacks, probably nearly as many as my job does now, including that I'd still have to interact quite a bit with my current boss, and he is a huge time suck for corporate marketing. I can't currently do those duties for our team because of all the work I have. Basically, he treats corporate marketing as if they work for him personally.

I met with our managing director today to talk about it. The first thing he said was that I wouldn't be making any more money if I were to get this position, and that I wouldn't be getting any bonuses "like I do now". (Hmmm...checks bank account...checks calendar...yep, June and no bonus so far on top of no annual raise two years running.) Good to be crystal clear that the undervaluing of support staff runs all through the office; thanks. He asked why I wanted it; I blah blahed about wanting to do more marketing and less general broker support.

The conversation took a turn and I told him I was undervalued, that my boss did not fight for me, etc. I told him I was being very frank. He knew from a previous statement of mine that I was discouraged, so I doubt this was news. I don't regret it.

This can go three ways.

1) My application is tossed out on a technicality. My company has a rule stating you have to be in your current position for six months before a job change. My position *technically* changed (was reclassified) in April, yet I have the same job. If I were a betting woman, this is where I'd put my money.

2) I'm offered the job. Pros: fewer hours, better environment (different side of the office, sit near office friends); cons: still have to work with old boss, who will inevitably feel he can continue to abuse me; have to work with all the other broker "personalities" in the office.

3) I'm not offered the job.

We'll see what happens. I'm really torn. I don't know if it was the right thing for me to apply in the first place, but then, I don't know if that's fear and low self-esteem talking. Being chronically undervalued and underappreciated takes a toll.

As an aside, during the meeting with the managing director, he was talking about business development and how they were bringing on a "diversity hire". He goes on and on about "there aren't many African-American brokers" and this is just such an important DIVERSITY HIRE. "He's going to come on and train and...DIVERSITY HIRE." I wanted to say, "You mean 'token black man'?" It just felt wrong. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

There's a way to be diverse that doesn't feel like pandering. Support the existing minorities on staff, maybe? I could be wrong here, but listening to a rich white country clubber talk about how he's throwing a bone to a black man just left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 5

bilgistic, at the very least you got a practice interview under your belt. Anytime I can interview, I do, because it helps me get better for the next time, which could be a job I really want.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

As an aside, during the meeting with the managing director, he was talking about business development and how they were bringing on a "diversity hire". He goes on and on about "there aren't many African-American brokers" and this is just such an important DIVERSITY HIRE. "He's going to come on and train and...DIVERSITY HIRE." I wanted to say, "You mean 'token black man'?" It just felt wrong. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

There's a way to be diverse that doesn't feel like pandering. Support the existing minorities on staff, maybe? I could be wrong here, but listening to a rich white country clubber talk about how he's throwing a bone to a black man just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, he makes it sound like the only reason the person is getting the job is because they are black, that otherwise, they don't have the qualifications, which is incredibly racist.

I agree with emma that at least you got some interview experience/warm up.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've been turning over the marketing job opening in my head all day. There's currently one other woman in the same role now in the Nashville office. In the absence of someone in our office, she is having to lead the entire Southeast's business development efforts on her own with three graphic designers' support. That's complete lunacy.

We have five offices in the Carolinas, one in Atlanta, two in Tennessee, one in Alabama, and three in Florida. She's leading allll of that, and my boss is taking up half of her and the designers' time. Clearly, I understand we have proposals to get out, but something has to give. The company is hiring one more designer for the whole Southeast. One.

I think I've decided to rescind my application. I'm afraid I would just be making a lateral move into just as bad a situation, and being in the same office as my current boss, he'd expect me to keep doing my current job as I was learning the new one, and/or train the new person while I'm trying to do a new job.

I saw that happen this spring when our former office manager moved into broker support. She literally had to sit with the new office manager and try to do her own job on her laptop while simultaneously training the new woman...for weeks. And when the new office manager was out, the former one had to do both jobs.

I actually like what I do, and it makes me wistful to think of not working with the amazing folks at our (external) design firm. They are a critical part of my and our success. They and I work so well together.

I love compiling my and others' writing and research, and putting together the pieces of the puzzle to make the marketing materials to sell the properties. I love building the marketing sites and emails and have such pride that no one but me knows how to do all of it. I learned it all, and I love learning new software and platforms.

But...I hate who and what I do it for. I hate that they don't value me or my work.

There will be a job and place that I feel not dread but hope about leaving for, but that open position isn't it.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I think I've decided to rescind my application.

That was the recommendation I was set to post -- and specifically to, in doing so, tell the managing director that, after the interview revealed you would not be given a larger salary and would, in fact, be given fewer bonuses than the paltry (or non-existent?) number you're given now, you'd like to withdraw yourself from consideration; you are already undervalued (in terms of both pay and appreciation) and have no desire to exacerbate that, despite how much you enjoy doing what the job constitutes on paper.

Because even if you're offered the position, with fewer hours and a better physical work environment, it's not something that's good for you given the cons.  So let it be your decision, not theirs, and let it be known that a qualified, hard-working, in-house candidate turned it down because of the fuckery that's allowed to go on.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I actually like what I do, and it makes me wistful to think of not working with the amazing folks at our (external) design firm.

Have you reached out to them to let them know that you are open to exploring other opportunities?

Even if not with them, but perhaps they'll hear of something with the other clients they work with that might be a better fit for you.

(edited)
On 6/6/2017 at 1:02 AM, bilgistic said:

Ugh. What a bigot! You're absolutely right that "diversity hire" means "token $ethnicity hire" (where $ethnicity is usually African-American). Good on you for being able to restrain yourself and not say anything. I strongly suspect I'd have failed where you succeeded and would currently be unemployed.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 3

Only if it's Bret "the Hitman" Hart. Then you can have my Paypal password. In @bilgistic's situation, I think we should follow up on the suggestion made ages ago to use that shit-mailing service.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, that was a flaming trainwreck. I talked to the managing director on the phone bc he's out of the office today. I told him about rescinding my application, and that it would be a lateral move with the same issues I deal with now, along with likely still having to do my current job for awhile.

He said it would actually be a step down for me in terms of salary. My broker certainly has people convinced I make a mint. (The MD seems to think I make at least $15K more than I do.) The MD asked if I'd compared my salary to similar jobs in the market. I said yes, and I am making about $20K less. He was all "industry standard..." and I told him he has a chance to be an industry leader.

I went on and on. I said ultimately, that position/department is poorly supported, and that's the case throughout our office. Our support staff is poorly paid especially in comparison to the brokers, and without the support, the brokers couldn't make the money. Our morale is low and we are treated poorly. Brokers (and anyone who manages people) need management training. He was shocked, just SHOCKED--”Is morale really that low with y'all??" Uh, yes.

I laid it all out. Said I should make more than only 1% of what my broker makes. Said it was grossly unfair that men (other non-brokers) 15 years my junior are paid better than I am. He was all, "it's the job class". No, it's INEQUALITY. I'm in the same job class as those men. My job is no less important than theirs.

He said we'd talk more on Friday.

I then went and talked (cried) to the woman who used to be my divisional supervisor. She supports the MD. I wanted her to know what was coming. I'm not ashamed of what I said, and if I get the proverbial pink slip on Friday, so be it. I'm the only one that will speak up, which is sad. I understand people being afraid to be reprimanded or lose their jobs, but I believe that things can and should change.

My company is the market-share leader in the Southeast. It is an international company. There is absolutely no reason why it can't be a better place.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 9

Thank you all for reading my rants and being supportive. I appreciate you.

My mother more or less won't discuss work with me. The other day when I mentioned to (texted) her about not being compensated equally and fairly, she actually replied that I've "lived on less" than I make now. What the hell, Mom?! Because I can live on less, I should? I'll come at my boss with that "you've lived on less" line and see how he responds.

How about I'm still trying to pay my student loans, save money and build a 401(k)? I didn't realize I was doomed to live hand to mouth from birth to death, but I guess I was put in my place.

• Love 6

My mother more or less won't discuss work with me. The other day when I mentioned to (texted) her about not being compensated equally and fairly, she actually replied that I've "lived on less" than I make now. What the hell, Mom?! Because I can live on less, I should? I'll come at my boss with that "you've lived on less" line and see how he responds.

Hate this. So what if you've lived off less....that was a different time. Today everything is more expensive than ever, with stagnant wages. Just because you could live off $XX,000/yr even 5 years ago, doesn't mean its livable now.

I'm in a similar work situation as yours (we just got a raise, but I'm still only making $4X,000 a year and I'm a single person in an overpriced market so I'm still living hand to mouth) , so I sympathize with you.  Good luck with everything.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My mother more or less won't discuss work with me. The other day when I mentioned to (texted) her about not being compensated equally and fairly, she actually replied that I've "lived on less" than I make now. What the hell, Mom?! Because I can live on less, I should?

Oh, the joys of parental logic, or lack thereof. Unless each successive job has paid less than the one before, you've always lived on less than what you make now because in your previous jobs, presumably you weren't making as much money. In addition, inflation happens; expenses change; shit happens. Once or twice I've taken a slight decrease in salary to get into a particular project so I could acquire a specific skill/resume fodder, but that has happened very rarely. Overall, looking at my latest SS statement, my income has risen pretty steadily from the time I first started working until where it is now.  But I look back at what I was making 10-15 years ago and wonder how in the hell I lived on that income.  If I had to live now on the salary I had 15 years ago, I would have to find someplace much cheaper to live, slash expenditures for various things such as my daughter's college tuition, etc. As you noted, @bilgistic, just because you can live on less doesn't mean you should have to. I'm grateful that my mother would be incensed at the idea that I should be paid less than colleagues performing similar work or less than I deserve. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Thank you all for reading my rants and being supportive. I appreciate you.

How about I'm still trying to pay my student loans, save money and build a 401(k)? I didn't realize I was doomed to live hand to mouth from birth to death, but I guess I was put in my place.

I agree: I hate this kind of logic. My mother long ago learned not spew such stupid nonsense at me because I'll just tell her to fuck off and not talk to her for three years. I'm not advocating that anyone else use my approach, however, as I readily admit it is not a very good one; it's just the only effective one I have and my relationship with my mother was probably good until I was about 3 years old. After that, it was all downhill, though I think we have finally found the bottom now that I'm 45 and she's 74.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 1:26 PM, bilgistic said:

I actually like what I do, and it makes me wistful to think of not working with the amazing folks at our (external) design firm. They are a critical part of my and our success. They and I work so well together.

I love compiling my and others' writing and research, and putting together the pieces of the puzzle to make the marketing materials to sell the properties. I love building the marketing sites and emails and have such pride that no one but me knows how to do all of it. I learned it all, and I love learning new software and platforms.

It's very important that you know very clearly what you like about your job. Because in a worst (or maybe ultimately best?) scenario, I'd think you'd want to brainstorm on what you love to do and see how you coud transfer these strengths of yours (I'm a firm believer that we do well what we love doing) into another area/job/company. It's too bad that your design firm works exclusively for your company, because otherwise they could have been a good source of other companies you might fit better with and provide good referrals for you. You might still try to tentatively approach some individuals in that regard, they may know more about the sector at large that they've interacted with in previous jobs - although it might be tricky if their only client is your current employer.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:34 PM, DeLurker said:

Have you reached out to them to let them know that you are open to exploring other opportunities?

Even if not with them, but perhaps they'll hear of something with the other clients they work with that might be a better fit for you.

This is what I was trying to say :)

21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Our morale is low and we are treated poorly. Brokers (and anyone who manages people) need management training. He was shocked, just SHOCKED--”Is morale really that low with y'all??" Uh, yes.

I laid it all out. Said I should make more than only 1% of what my broker makes. Said it was grossly unfair that men (other non-brokers) 15 years my junior are paid better than I am. He was all, "it's the job class". No, it's INEQUALITY. I'm in the same job class as those men. My job is no less important than theirs.

He said we'd talk more on Friday.

I then went and talked (cried) to the woman who used to be my divisional supervisor. She supports the MD. I wanted her to know what was coming. I'm not ashamed of what I said, and if I get the proverbial pink slip on Friday, so be

it. I'm the only one that will speak up, which is sad. I understand people being afraid to be reprimanded or lose their jobs, but I believe that things can and should change.

My company is the market-share leader in the Southeast. It is an international company. There is absolutely no reason why it can't be a better place.

It seems like in your field of work the brokers are the stars because they are viewed as the rainmakers and therefore allowed much more leeway that anyone else. Or it could be your company's culture. I've seen it too in a different field (corporate banking) and sometimes you can make small changes, and other times the culture will  not change, just because until that point in has proved successful in dollar terms.

To clarify, our design firm works solely (or primarily?) for the commercial real estate industry. Our office and the Atlanta branch uses them; I know other branches use them. Some of our competitors also use them. The design firm has competition, believe it or not. I had no idea such a thing existed before this job. I'd always done all the design work in-house, myself. I have WAY too much work and the scope is too wide for me to do it now.

I used to work for retail tenant representation. A retail store chain will work exclusively with their brokers to determine where the stores should next open and expand. Brokers in that line make $75K to maybe mid-six figures. Brokers make commissions on the leases at the stores opened.

Now I work for office and industrial investment sales, which is an entirely different world. Buildings and portfolios sell for millions and millions of dollars. The commissions are sometimes as much as $500K for a single sale.

I could live off that one commission for the next 20 years. I've lived on less, you know.

• Love 1

I have had another week from hell at my job, so I took a sick day today to work on my resume and apply for jobs. I am actually a little sick but in a job I actually liked, I would not be staying home like I am today. I've applied for 4 jobs so far, so it's been productive. I'm trying to make a goal of applying for at least 3-5 a week but they have to be a good fit for my skills (so I'm not just applying to anything and everything). 

• Love 7

So I thought of a way to explain what my job is like lately in a way that everyone can relate to.  Well no one will relate to it, I personally think its batshit, but everyone will understand my pain.

So this year, you and your spouse, set a budget for household operations that had a goal of reducing spending towards some goal.  You divide the responsibilities to be fair.  Your spouse decides on expenditures and does the bills and you do all the leg work and execution.  

The water bill came in really, stupidly high and spouse is scrambling to find a savings offset to not have to  explain the overage and have a fight.  So spouse comes up with the bright idea of you going to Costco for a really great sale on toilet paper. Spouse wants a years worth.  You balk because where are you going to put it and spouse "asks" you to go rent a storage locker.  But the only time you can go to get that locker is when the plumber is coming out to check that weird puddle in the yard.  Spouse says puddle can wait, get the toilet paper. 

Based on the great laundry detergent storage debacle of 2015, you will get blamed for the great toilet paper debacle of 2017 a year from now when your spouse conveniently gets amnesia about who made the toilet paper purchase and plumbing decisions.

Will I have to buy the toilet paper?

When we get divorced, will I leave or will I be kicked out for questioning decisions? I'm hoping for the later because of alimony.

I'm getting sick of being the only one willing to publically ask if buying the toilet paper is really a goof idea given that the water is flooding the yard.

• Love 3

In the latest installment of "these people are unfuckingbelievable", I had an 11-hour marathon day yesterday. I had a book due, and because I have entirely too much work, I didn't get all the material to the designer until yesterday. I even worked on Sunday for a few hours.

We got the book done thanks to my incredible designer, and me, of course. Ha. The new kid helped himself to taking a lunch hour with his buds and several rambling breaks, as he does. He goes and sits in the break room and reads the paper. That's great and all, pal, but not when I don't get up from my desk until 3pm to run to get a sandwich. I had to ask him half a dozen times to help me, saying, this book is priority one today. Why is no one else telling him this?

The other two (broker boss, junior broker) don't break, either, unless you count their 87 trips to the bathroom. They don't take lunch hours when we're busy, which is almost always. Looks like I need to take my cue from the new kid, though. My broker was told he had to (by law) let me take lunch, and he still wasn't really keen to it because rules don't apply to him.

Keep in mind the kid has been with us since March 20, so not even three months yet. He worked in the Atlanta office previously. He took three days of vacation bookending Memorial Day. I've not had four (or even two) straight days off since Christmas (three years employment as of last month). He's untouchable, and I Do. Not. Get. It. I need to figure out some sort of Freaky Friday situation so I can spend a day having the world hand me everything just because I grew up wealthy, was in a fraternity, and am a young, white male.

I told y'all his brother had already been hired in our office (in the less-than-three months the kid's been here); as far as I know, the position was created for his brother. Well, tomorrow, the kid's brother-in-law is coming to talk with our managing director about any possible jobs.

This is how I feel:

giphy.gif

I "jokingly" asked him if he was trying to get his whole family hired. He shortly replied that "it can't hurt to meet and shake hands."

Actually, it can. We've seen time and again that it'll be more than that. And it's hurting the already-damaged morale of several of us who are seeing this questionably ethical-slash-flat-out-nepotistic-and-favoritistic behavior.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

The water bill came in really, stupidly high and spouse is scrambling to find a savings offset to not have to  explain the overage and have a fight.  So spouse comes up with the bright idea of you going to Costco for a really great sale on toilet paper. Spouse wants a years worth.  You balk because where are you going to put it and spouse "asks" you to go rent a storage locker.  But the only time you can go to get that locker is when the plumber is coming out to check that weird puddle in the yard.  Spouse says puddle can wait, get the toilet paper. 

Does the savings on toilet paper REALLY offset the cost of a storage locker? 

I will buy two of something when there's a coupon for $1 if you buy 2, but stocking up?  I don't see the point.

I remember seeing an episode of honey boo-boo (don't judge, I wasn't at home)  and they had shelving to store all the toilet paper, cereal, canned goods, etc.  And I thought - is it worth the savings if you have to have industrial-looking shelves in your dining area?    And then they showed the girls using the TP to "decorate"  the house. 

More power to anyone who can make it work.  I just don't see it working for me. 

6 hours ago, backformore said:

Does the savings on toilet paper REALLY offset the cost of a storage locker? 

Well the savings on toilet paper are visible this month and the bill for the storage locker doesn't come until next month.

In shocking news.  I don't have to buy the toilet paper.  I wish I didn't have to spend so much time squeezing the Charrmin.

• Love 4

That's fucked up @bilgistic and is one of my biggest peeves. Well actually you mentioned a few that get my goose. I can't stand arbitrary inconsistency when it comes to breaks and scheduling. It's disrespectful to those who are busting their ass and doing extra. And it's not right of management to not address this, that shows laziness or just they don't care about others time and feelings. 

This has become a problem in my workplace too. One woman the one in my dept who I mentioned before here is extremely late everyday and takes long breaks and leaves at her whimsy. Meanwhile I get shit to leave once every few monthes to get testing done that's work related and held at another branch. Also my closest friend at work and the best cashier is in treatment and they actually guilt her about missing work for radiation. She sees people like my dept coworker skate in each day hours late or do no call no shows and management smiles erstwhile she's gets criticized for being ill.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Anyone think the "weird puddle" is probaly the manifestation of the cause of the stupidly high water bill (i.e. there's a leak/broken pipe somewhere).

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Your spouse decides on expenditures and does the bills and you do all the leg work and execution.  

I have a military term for you: FIGMO. (F*** it, got my orders.) 

• Love 4

Just need to complain about the lack of documentation around procedures where I work. Two days ago, we had a new contractor start. I had to send an email to get him access to various servers, the instant messenger program, DUO (for two-factor authentication), and so on. The thing is there is nowhere I can go to find out what email addresses I need to message in order to get all this stuff done. I sent an email on Wednesday morning to the wrong address for just about everything. That meant I had to send a whole new set of emails yesterday morning and it also meant the contractor had to sit around doing nothing most of the day yesterday. So, I'll be creating this documentation (in fucking Google Docs!) and have no way to officially share it with anyone so that we can start creating some kind of central repository of knowledge.

• Love 1

Well, I've been moved off to a highly critical project - onboarding new client.  I get to write up some documentation and scripts for another area and coordinate all that crap.  That means Dip has to actually do the majority of the work, along with the newbies.  I had to tell them via email, hey do not assign shit to me, even after Dip was told. 

Had a chat with the boss, and he's like - after Dip had me go over shit again (it's like the 3rd or 4th time) - tell them to look it up for themselves.  I also found some more of Dip's screw ups - by accident.  Shit that had been turned off by me in January, client wanted it back on again now.  I go review the stuff and part of it is turned back on - as of March.  A big WTF moment.  Yep, Dip ran something again for the wrong client and never checked it.  Let boss know - my concern is something major will be jacked up at some point because Dip is so damned careless.  We get audited and I said if they find one of those items, we're toast.  Boss was like holy shit, yes, as he was writing notes.   Then I was asked by another manager before I signed out last night, did abcd get updated?  He'd asked me about how to do the updates, etc.  As I'm out of that stuff - the day to day, I said let me see if your item was completed.  Yep.  Well apparently the end user/client wasn't seeing it done on their side.  Yeah, Dip updated the wrong f'ing table.  I sent email out - saying uh yeah you updated the wrong table.  They'd all been copied on what had to be updated; clearly reading is beyond Dip's skill set.   There were also some test scenarios that got deleted somehow - I told Dip yeah they need to be replaced, and was met with a groan.  Yeah I set it all up, Dip said loud and proud that they "owned" that app, now doesn't want to do the shit required.   The minute it was said oh I "own" it, I bowed out.  Figure it out yourself now.  That's Dip M.O. - wants to act like a big shot without doing shit (or knowing much).  Just does not want to expend any energy - work is a social club basically.  Dip also left an item sit for hours, then a manager came over and said oh it's not working.  Yeah ended in my lap and ended up being a critical client facing issue.  Boss also made note because his ass was drawn into it the next day.  I think give it a little bit and Dip will either be moved to another area or given a packing box.  

I took a few days off before this other project really gets going.  It'll be ongoing most of the summer into Fall.  Yay. 

@bilgistic, I cannot say how many times I'm eating lunch (first food of the day) well after 3 p.m. I have some cup o' soup or something else that I can nuke always in my desk (or granola bar). Dip leaves around 3 ish.  As a former co-worker said, I think they'll turn into a pumpkin if they stay later.  We don't have others taking the long lunches, but I don't see but a few staying over to get shit done, either. 

• Love 3

Not really a rant - There's this one secretary in my office that pretty much everyone hates for many reasons.  We put up with her, but avoid her as much as possible.  She's the busy body that always has to know everyone's business, tattles to the main partner for every little indiscretion (oh, secretay A is 2 minutes late returning from lunch - oh this attorney is "leaving early" at 4:00, etc.), refuses to help out other secretaries when they have rushes, does her best to pass off her work to the receptionist and law clerk, and shows little to no respect for the non-partner attorneys.

She works for one lawyer (a non-named partner), who doesn't really care for her either, but after 10 years, he's used to her, doesn't want to train someone new.  Granted, he's been using this excuse for a couple of years now, but he is finally starting to make his retirement plans, so we're all pretty sure he will really retire when he turns 65 next year, or very shortly thereafter.  Everyone else in the office is waiting to throw a party when this one secretary gets "laid off" because none of the other partners or other lawyers want to work with her, and everyone is already fine with their current support staff, so they don't need her either.  Counting down....

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ennui said:

As loathsome as she may be, I hate for anyone to lose their job. The older you are, the more difficult it is to find another one. 

I agree in general.  It's a shame she wasn't a nicer  and better co-worker.  

• Love 4

Is there another term besides mansplaining? for the phenomenon where people won't take a woman's word for something-- but if a male co-worker says the exact same thing-- they get it.

I'm working with a vendor on an event. one of the fact sheets being prepared was updated today (the day before our event). I emailed the vendor about the changes-- explaining that the edits were emailed to me after business hours-- so I just made the changes this morning-- and please use the attached version.

The vendor (a woman) said my male colleague sent her the final version yesterday. I re-explained that there were subsequent edits-- and she insisted she had the most recent version. So I explained the situation to my male colleague and he re-sent her the updated version.

when he sent the updated version-- she understood immediately and promised to update the event materials.

Jesus! 

• Love 5

Speaking of mansplaining, the new kid helpfully told me yesterday how to print on both sides of paper (the document he created was jacked up and wouldn't print correctly; it had nothing to do with me). I somehow refrained from telling him 1) to fuck off and 2) that I've been printing documents far longer than he's been alive.

He's currently spending the major portion of his time searching for jobs for his younger brother. This is in between his European lunches and half-hour breaks every 20 minutes. I Don't. Get. It.

I'm off next week (PRAISE BE!) and I had to train him on how to do some things in my absence just in case. It's unlikely he'll need to, which is good, because he didn't take a single note nor seem to retain anything I told him.

Good luck next week, boys.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Don't answer your phone when they call nor check your email.

Of course when it goes amiss it will be your fault for not training him properly.

I hate your office.  

My boss is DYING to know where I'm going. My coworker (not the kid) is playing along. I refuse to tell them because I have boundaries, and instead told them they both need hobbies.

Yes to the bolded part. You know it.

• Love 8

I was very close to just walking out earlier this week.  Beyond livid.  I got documents out to the various business units for their review/testing/approval of new programs/designs for a new client.  First had to make sure everything in a test environment was ready to go.  Now mind you, I had to get everything set up in production environment before tax day in April, so it could all go into test.  April.  I busted ass to get it all done as it is a large client.  Normally, we'd want a month or more to do the test up, but this shit was given to me in pieces.  Hate that.   Anyhow, I walked through some of this shit with the recipients of the documents:  what they needed to do, etc.  They said all set.  Fine.

Boss goes on vacation - of course.  Oh can you take care of this and that.........fine, whatever.   As soon as his butt left the doorway, this loudmouthed bitch comes over - well are the business areas going to be done with this shit by Friday?  I'm like Friday?  It was just installed at end of day Monday.  It's month and quarter end, also.  Well I have in MYYYYYY plan 5 day turnaround.  I said according to whom?  Your boss said so.  WTF.  I'd just spoken earlier (multiple meetings/talks) with someone who is coordinating job runs, etc for testing.   She got on a call with loudmouth and laughed at her, said no way is 5 days realistic, and why hadn't she mentioned it before?   So yeah, meeting yesterday to go thru specifics, and shit my boss told me was 100% WRONG.   After an 11 hour day, I got everything set to run as it should for this crap.  The only good thing is the end users are being extremely nice and courteous, as opposed to the LMB (loudmouthed bitch).  LMB has always been a rude, nasty person; she acts all nice (fake nice) when upper management is around, but everyone knows her true colors by now.  The thing is she does know her job, so they put up with her rudeness.

Then the Dip has to take on what I normally do.  What a clusterfuck.  I've gone through one simple item now at least 6 times.  Still does not get it.  Something got majorly jacked up, but the update/mistake did not record on any sort of reporting, so I can't 100% say it was Dip (although......).  Now I have yet another meeting with Dip next week to go over something we've gone through, beaten to death.  I am guessing maybe that if Dip plays stupid and doesn't act like they can handle it, they figure it'll go to someone else.  It's happened before, but we don't have the staff like we did.  Boss told me it's ship up or ship out at this point with Dip.  We'll see.  There's shit Dip did for the end of the period, which makes me nervous.  Tempted to review, as it'll sure come back to me - that I didn't train them well enough if it's jacked.

@bilgistic, enjoy your time off.  Don't answer the phone.  Been there, done that too many times.  I've been called on every major holiday, even when it wasn't my issue.   While I work in a good ol' boys management structure, at least none are related.  I don't think it's allowed by the corporation - at least not two in the same locale or department. 

• Love 2
On 6/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, bilgistic said:

Speaking of mansplaining, the new kid helpfully told me yesterday how to print on both sides of paper (the document he created was jacked up and wouldn't print correctly; it had nothing to do with me). I somehow refrained from telling him 1) to fuck off and 2) that I've been printing documents far longer than he's been alive.

He's currently spending the major portion of his time searching for jobs for his younger brother. This is in between his European lunches and half-hour breaks every 20 minutes. I Don't. Get. It.

I'm off next week (PRAISE BE!) and I had to train him on how to do some things in my absence just in case. It's unlikely he'll need to, which is good, because he didn't take a single note nor seem to retain anything I told him.

Good luck next week, boys.

I give you a lot of credit for your self-restraint. I would have failed that skill check and sarcastically, profusely thanked them for teaching me something I've known for however many years (at least 30 years, in my case). I think you should find a way to reveal his during-work-hours activity to TPTB. If nothing else, you'll feel satisfied having done so.

• Love 2

From July 2015 to February 2017, I used to work in a datacentre for a large IT company here in the UK. My skillset was primarily in VMware technologies, but also had a decent knowledge of all the usual Microsoft operating systems both on the client and server side; I also know my way around servers, routers, switch gear, ports etc having graduated the year before. 

But all that knowledge counted for very little when working with some of my datacentre colleagues, who just saw me as the "new girl who doesn't know jack, but might be worth a date!"

So despite my best efforts to "fit in", show my worth, do the extra hours etc, not of that really mattered to these guys because they would also criticise in a very negative and/or unhelpful way. I don't mind constructive criticism, but these guys seemed to have an agenda which just made the job even more difficult. Compounded by a boss who wanted to come across as being tough and controlling when mixing with his pals so as to look like he was "The Boss"; but in actual fact he was a complete waste of time, gutless and clueless when on his own. So trying to bring a complaint to him would be pointless.

Things took a turn for the worse when I declared that "I just wasn't into guys!" They all turned on me, talked behind my back no doubt, and made all the usual homophobic comments etc. And all this time I was studying hard back in the company office for certain Microsoft, Citrix and VMware exams in order to be Certified. Working in the office was a completely different world compared to a datacentre, mostly because there were far more women in attendance, and a lot of the guys there were really nice and decent, compared to the pond life back in the server room,

I did make official complaints, and a couple of guys got written warnings; but none of that really helped, so I quit after passing most of my exams, and decided to go the Consultancy route. 

It really bugs me that this kind of juvenile sexism still persists/exists in these so-called "enlightened times". And if you try to do anything about it you have to go through so many hoops, and hope something does get done; and even when something does happen it doesn't necessarily mean things will get better - far from it!

Sorry for the long rant :)

• Love 9