Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

(edited)

Speaking of passive-aggressive, I sent the Crap Committee an email today asking if we could cut down on the chit-chat at the beginning of our weekly meetings on Mondays. I said that it defeats the purpose of us starting earlier, takes 15 minutes, and makes the overall meeting time 1.5 hours(!!!).

I said I understand that everyone wants to talk about their weekend (except me, because I don't care about what they grilled out), but in our mission to improve our efficiency, let's work on this.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

I have something that is not a rant about work, but just a problem I am considering. One of my colleagues is very friendly with me, and in terms of personality, she and I are more compatible with each other than with anyone else on the team. She's intelligent and performs her work efficiently, except for one thing. In meetings that she is running or phone calls, she rambles on and on and on. It's a combination of going off on unrelated tangents, using a lot of filler words, starting down one train of thought and not completing it before jumping to another, etc. We have a formal 1:1 each week by phone, and in all seriousness, for at least 50% of the call, I am holding the phone a foot or so away from my ear because she's not saying anything critical or that needs a response. Meetings tend to last 15-20 minutes longer than necessary because for every issue/topic being addressed, she ends up talking it to death without really saying much that is meaningful. A couple of other colleagues have noticed this tendency and made snide comments about it; not that they should be, because they are both masters of the technique of talking nonstop for 10-15 minutes before allowing 5 seconds for anyone to respond, with the result that you then have to go back to something they said 10 minutes ago to respond to that issue. 

However, with this particular colleague, I am wondering if I should give her some feedback on the rambling. She sometimes catches herself, and comments, "Oh, I'm rambling again," but she doesn't seem to do anything about it.  I'd like to give her the suggestion that when she has a meeting scheduled, to take her agenda ahead of time and list 2-3 specific comments she needs to make on each agenda item, and stick to those comments. At the same time, I don't want her to feel that I am being overly critical of the way she communicates. 

(edited)

@BookWoman56, since she seems to be aware of her tendency, maybe the next time she mentions it you could offer her your suggestions (which are great). She may not be expecting you to take her comment seriously but it does give you an opening to bring it up. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Not a work-related peeve, but it is work-related. I talked to my boss last week about switching my hours because I was tired of always feeling tired and dragging ass at work. He told me to go for it and that I have permission to work from home a couple hours every day, provided that it's just me sitting at the computer writing code anyway. I was completely dumbstruck. If I'd known a year ago that I could work from home every day for a couple of hours, I would have switched my hours a year ago! So, I switched starting today. No more getting up at 03:50 every day in order to be at work by 06:20. Now I can get up at a much more reasonable 06:00 to 06:30 (depending on when my body says it's had enough sleep), take a later bus to work, and still come home at the same time. And I am feeling a lot better already today!

• Love 10

Gum popper isn't moving until the end the month. She's just at her desk chomping away. I actually emailed my boss today asking him to address the issue with her boss when he comes back (he's OOO) because I can't be expected to continue to blast music (I can hear her snap, pop between songs) or relocate. It's literally impacting my job - I can't answer the phone, I can't make calls I need to. I've been asking him to do something for months, long before she complained about that card she thought was targeted at her. Last week I told him I thought it was pretty messed up I'd been asking him to say something to that dept manager for months and he didn't but as soon as he got a concern about me I heard about it.

• Love 4

Remember how we must now have our weekly meeting on Monday morning at 8:30? I left home this morning at 7:42 and got to my desk at 8:25.

Guess who I beat to the office? My jackass boss who rolled in 15 minutes later, hung over from his "guys' weekend" at the beach.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Remember how we must now have our weekly meeting on Monday morning at 8:30? I left home this morning at 7:42 and got to my desk at 8:25.

Guess who I beat to the office? My jackass boss who rolled in 15 minutes later, hung over from his "guys' weekend" at the beach.

Have I commented lately that your boss is a jerk? If not, let me correct that omission: Your boss is a giant waste-of-space-and-breath jerk.

• Love 5
(edited)

So every night, in addition to running our typical calls, one of us on the night crew has to do the additional task of dispatching calls. Calls are forwarded to our work issued cell phones and we enter the animal related ones into our database for the officers assigned into that section to run.  The dispatcher task is rotated on a nightly basis. Tonight I received a voicemail that was highly disturbing.  I will spoiler tag the disturbing parts so whoever doesn't want to read it, doesn't.  This guy has called multiple times before about his neighbor's dog getting loose. We have issued citations to the dog owner on his behalf multiple times.

Tonight he called the Animal Control hotline to notify us

Spoiler

that he killed his neighbor's dog by strangling it. He is having his friend come and chop up the remains and will dump the body in the Everglades.

He was so calm and matter of fact about it.

I have reported it to my supervisors who will inform us how to respond in the AM.

Spoiler

I am shook to my core.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh, why did I read that shortly before bed?

I'm sorry you were the one who had to listen to that; I'm chilled just hearing about it.  I hope there's punishment more than the proverbial slap on the wrist coming to that sicko.   (Does it really have to wait until morning to be turned over to the police?  Showing up at the guy's house while they're prepping for disposal yields more evidence than showing up after the fact, but I know in a lot of jurisdictions the police will be pretty hands-off.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

So every night, in addition to running our typical calls, one of us on the night crew has to do the additional task of dispatching calls. Calls are forwarded to our work issued cell phones and we enter the animal related ones into our database for the officers assigned into that section to run.  The dispatcher task is rotated on a nightly basis. Tonight I received a voicemail that was highly disturbing.  I will spoiler tag the disturbing parts so whoever doesn't want to read it, doesn't.  This guy has called multiple times before about his neighbor's dog getting loose. We have issued citations to the dog owner on his behalf multiple times.

Reveal hidden contents

that he killed his neighbor's dog by strangling it. He is having his friend come and chop up the remains and will dump the body in the Everglades.

I have reported it to my supervisors who will inform us how to respond in the AM.

Hide contents

I am shook to my core.

That voicemail should be turned over to the cops immediately- that guy is dangerous (serial killer in training).  I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law - which is STILL not enough.

I don't know how you keep your humanity, AgentRXS.  That would break me.

• Love 7

I wanted to turn it over to the cops immediately, but my was advised by my supervisor to let him handle it. I've done this job for almost 6 years and have, quite frankly, seen/heard some fucked up shit. But this was beyond anything I've seen or heard. Not sure what can be done at this point but I hope my supervisor doesn't drop the ball on this.

• Love 4

I would agree with you, @AgentRXS, call the cops immediately and apologize later. I realize it's after the fact now, but doing that to an animal is a crime and is completely beyond...just...words I don't even have.

You are an incredible person for doing what you do, and I thank for your service for our animals. I believe that just about every animal can be rehabilitated, and they have all the feelings and souls that we humans have.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

I am shook to my core.

Oh no!!!! Isn't that a crime where y'all live??

What a piece of shit

• Love 3
21 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

That voicemail should be turned over to the cops immediately- that guy is dangerous (serial killer in training).  I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law - which is STILL not enough.

I don't know how you keep your humanity, AgentRXS.  That would break me.

I totally agree with this. 

• Love 2

Okay, switching gears from the horrific doggy story (and I'm still shaken today over it; that rotten human being better end up in jail), and back to horrible work stories, because I feel helpless when I read stories like that.

I have another presentation with the department head from hell (the one who calls me on days off and is never happy with anything I do) today at 4pm to over a project that is not doing well. We knew before it kicked off it would not do well, so this is no surprise, but she is never happy unless every project is exceeding all expectations no matter how unrealistic so I expect this meeting to go terribly. And this is a meeting she's rescheduled 3 times this week so I've been stressing non-stop all week long. Is it Saturday yet?

• Love 3
On 5/9/2017 at 10:40 PM, AgentRXS said:

This is the scariest part of this for me. Not just the fact that he could do that, which is bad enough in itself, but the fact that his humanity wasn't even bothered by his actions. I hope the police end up involved in this because that, to me, is someone who could kill his neighbor if he felt pushed far enough.

• Love 4

@AGENTRXS, I truly hope this was a prank call of the worst possible taste. The alternative is too horrible to process. I'm glad though that the call was reported to the police.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, NutMeg said:

@AGENTRXS, I truly hope this was a prank call of the worst possible taste. The alternative is too horrible to process. I'm glad though that the call was reported to the police.

This. I've been thinking of you so much and the situations you face. It's horrible what people do to each other and animals. There's a lot of goodness, charity, and love in the world. But a lot of darkness and lack of empathy as well. And I wish everyday it wasn't the case and fail to understand it. I have trouble processing it, and it bothers me, the injustices and unfairness. 

• Love 4
(edited)

The new kid's brother was just hired this week to work on a different team than ours. I couldn't make this shit up, people. If he has the same stellar work ethic as the new kid, we're all in for a treat!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

This is a nice problem to have. I have to work on my resume so I can apply for one of four promotions (same position, nationwide). I spent most of today deciding where I'd want to live. None of the areas are ideal for this CA girl but I think I settled on Georgia.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

This is a nice problem to have. I have to work on my resume so I can apply for one of four promotions (same position, nationwide). I spent most of today deciding where I'd want to live. None of the areas are ideal for this CA girl but I think I settled on Georgia.

Congratulations on the promotion opportunity!  I saw your locations listed in another thread, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to move to any of them, but I'd probably pick Atlanta of the four if I had to, so I definitely understand your thought process.

Can you interview at more than one location, so you could check out your second choice, too? 

Edited by Bastet
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The new kid's brother was just hired this week to work on a different team than ours. I couldn't make this shit up, people. If he has the same stellar work ethic as the new kid, we're all in for a treat!

@bilgistic, I know you're already looking around for other opportunities, but this is the kind of thing that would make me nervous about my current employer.  That kind of fucked-up hiring indicates some deeper problems within the company.  I know that companies can get by for years while still making some stupid hiring decisions, but when companies keep hiring/promoting unqualified and incompetent people, sooner or later those decisions will come back to haunt them.

Sorry to keep referring back to my former manager asshat, but he also made an incredibly bad choice when he first hired the guy who was the lead tech writer of our group; this was before I was hired. While I was there, he then promoted this guy to a higher level of tech writer. This particular tech writer was not really even a tech writer. His one skill related to tech writing was putting procedures into step/action tables; he couldn't write or edit anything else. He had zero grammar skills; he literally did not know the difference between a complete sentence and a fragment. Yet my former manager promoted him, put him in charge of maintaining a SharePoint site when he had marginal skills in that as well, and then was quite humiliated when his so-called "star performer" accidentally deleted the SharePoint site. It took close to a week for the tech department to restore it, so that for that week, several teams could not get their work done because virtually everything they did was on the SP site.  Because manager asshat was not happy about that humiliation, the disgraced tech writer was transitioned into a different role on a different team, essentially being told he could accept the new role or be terminated. This happened around the time I accepted a higher-level position in another area of the company, and I could not help but be amused at the sequence of events. A few other colleagues and I had predicted that manager asshat would keep this tech writer on board only until such time as he inevitably made manager asshat look bad, at which point manager asshat would jettison him without any hesitation.

• Love 1
(edited)

How is it already Sunday night?!? Hoooooooowwwwww???

On another note, a local major hospital contacted me about an open position with an email questionnaire, so I've spent the day crafting that. I'm not even sure this position is in my wheelhouse but I figure I need to take advantage of everything that comes my way right now, even if it's just for practice. The weird thing is, even though I hate my job so much I feel odd looking for a new position after only 8 months.

ETA: I sent the email questionnaire in late last night and just had a call from the hiring coordinator that they'd like to do a phone interview tomorrow. Guess I'd better figure out what this position is all about real quick!

ETA Again: had the phone interview today. It's a little bit different than what I  normally do/have been doing my entire career, but it's not totally outside my capabilities. The interview went well (it was actually with the person I'd be directly reporting to, oddly) and she said they'd like to schedule an in-person interview in the next few weeks.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 7

My co worker has been coming in late a lot recently.  Last night she overslept again and didn't come in until nearly 3 hours into her shift.  She broke up with her live in boyfriend and the fallout is definitely affecting her attitude.  

I'm not saying her pain isn't real but she really needs to stop coming in so late.  I lost both parents, had to battle my sister against false accusations  of stealing from their estate, watch my Dad's possessions get picked over by bargain hunters, get shoved out of his house because she wanted to sell it unoccupied, and move into a townhouse which I can't wait to move from.  Through it all I still managed to come into work on time and keep my tearful stress under wraps until things settled down.  

It finally got noticed by our supervisor and she had a one on one yesterday.  I just hope she snaps out of it.

• Love 2

She broke up with her live in boyfriend and the fallout is definitely affecting her attitude.  

I've gone to work on time after pulling all nighters arguing with boyfriends, after breakups, after  losing my cat and uncle (whom I was somewhat close with) in the same week. I work with my abusive ex-boyfriend.  I get my "buckle up and deal with it" attitude from my grandmother---which means I have zero tolerance for people using their personal problems as an excuse for not doing their jobs. Just call in sick or request some time off and get some help if needed ....but their is no excuse for showing up late because you overslept 3 hours! Insane.

• Love 2

I share a department with a woman who is 1-2.5 hrs late a day. I'm supposed to be her "lead". The few times I've asked in a nonchalant way what time she got in she's gotten irate and hysterical. The store directors let her do whatever she wants, it's strange. I think because she seems mentally unstable and also she does practically no work so they could give a shit when or if she shows up or sits on her ass all day. Hopefully I will make a lateral move to different department at a new store working to a large promotion or earn a promotion when I'm placed there. In big grocery stores there's a lot of levels of leadership. 

• Love 2

Ugh, the job that I did a phone interview for early last week and the hiring manager wanted to set up an in-person interview for has been filled. They wanted me to come in last week on a day I couldn't get out of meetings and apparently that's how I lost my shot, they've filled the spot already with someone else.  So now I get to keep looking and continue slogging along in my job from hell.

• Love 1

When I was leaving work this evening, I went into the kitchen to put my plastic cup in the recycling bin. Remember, the people in my office are lazy assholes who can't put a company-supplied mug in the dishwasher to wash out company-suppled coffee...

...once again, the goddamned refrigerator door was ajar. What the hell?

In my 20 years of post-college work, I've never encountered a wealthier plus lazier group of people.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

Ugh, the job that I did a phone interview for early last week and the hiring manager wanted to set up an in-person interview for has been filled. They wanted me to come in last week on a day I couldn't get out of meetings and apparently that's how I lost my shot, they've filled the spot already with someone else.  So now I get to keep looking and continue slogging along in my job from hell.

I'm so sorry.

• Love 2

That sucks @emma675 but maybe this other person won't work out and they end up calling you in a few weeks. Or this pushes you in the orbit of another better job. 

It amazes me in the 14 monthes I've been at my job -which is in a 2 person dept.- I've worked alone. 7 plus monthes she was on leave. And the rest of the time is full of absenteeism or just slacking in the back with the sexist, racist, unhygienic creep who harasses me. The store director knows this and won't do anything. 

• Love 4

I'm a floater; different days, different locations, different duties. Someone called me a "utility" person, I fill in where needed. One of my assignments has a lot of down time, yet I am tied to that desk. The GM, in his infinite wisdom, took away the internet. So, instead of merrily surfing, I am left to stare off into the middle distance and file my nails. I do not expect nor anticipate any sympathy, and I realize how lucky I am to get paid for that, but still. The internet is a wonderful tool when you need to "look busy." 

• Love 2

We just got an email today from the office manager, telling everyone that the recycle bins are not for trash.  Stupidity is everywhere.  There are rules of the break room posted, like clean up after yourself, very common courtesy list.

The newbie on the team will be outperforming the Dip in no time flat.  The Dip is feeling the pressure, now wanting to learn stuff, stuff they should've learned starting 3 years ago.   I had over 350 new set ups to do, and the Dip has to review.  It has been beyond painful.  Where do I find this code?  Uh, it's on the workbook tab - codes.  I mean really, really, really stupid questions.   One they came back to me saying you missed, 2, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 20, 21, and 30.  Yeah, no.  This set up doesn't use any of those options, so why would I activate any of those?  Oh, so it's ok, then?  Yes, you moron.  So,  you edited what was turned on?  Yes.  I almost asked if you take your car to be serviced, and they say you need an oil change, do you tell them to also throw in a new motor, battery, and carburetor?  No, because it's not needed.  Same story.  I get the "I've not done this before".  Well, I've not either recently.  I did this shit back in the 1990's (yes, I am that old).  The procedures we have are shit, too.  Not updated since maybe 2000.  The person who left who did this, just did it by rote.  No real understanding of why stuff was done the way it was, just "that's how we've always done it".  I am revamping stuff in my spare time.  Boss, on his way out for early vacation, told me yeah you are getting another project, just in case someone says something to you before I can discuss with you next week. Fabulous.

I have a whole laundry list of how the Dip is just so inadequate for this position.  I took a few days off week before last.  I was texted or called each day.  Stupid shit that if the Dip had a brain, could have done.  Dip has already told Newbie, oh I won't do that - as in following up or checking shit before it's submitted.  Newbie said - why wouldn't you check it to avoid more work (if it's wrong you have clean up).  Dip had no explanation, but I do.  Dip only wants to do what they want to do; they had a nice little teeny job that no one questioned before this time.  Did very little but was able to socialize.  That's all they want to do, have a social hour all day long.  It's to the point that I can't stand to be around when Dip is around.

We had an all employees meeting a week ago.  It was mentioned how many set ups were done this year already.  Top dog said to me, I know that was a lot of work, calling me out and thanking me.  (I was like where's the $$ - silent thought).  It was nice though.  Dip was steaming.  In their head, they were never given the opportunity to do that stuff, so unfair!  Dip never wanted to learn any of it, preferred to stay in the background and let others do the heavy lifting.  Now, it's all woe is me.  Newbie has asked to do stuff and did one major prep piece for me, saving me hours of extra work.    Dip was even pissed about that.  Well, you cannot blame anyone but yourself.  A friend said she thinks that Dip will eventually be gone.   Sadly, Dip could retire, but doesn't want to do so yet (likes the socializing).  I say leave already, retire, and find a volunteer job or a simple little job where you can chat all day. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

I took a few days off week before last.  I was texted or called each day.

You're nicer than I am because I would not have responded to any of those. Calls would have been dumped into voicemail and texts would have gone ignored. If necessary, I would have set a custom notification of "no notification" for texts and similar for ringtones.

• Love 5

Yesterday my boss and I visited a customer with their account manager, to train the customer to order via our website (it's really easy but people can be stupid). We made it fool proof - select an account, select the corresponding shopping list, select the items from the list and check out. Left the meeting with "give me a call and I'll walk you through your first order".

First order comes through (no call) and the customer service rep who was "managing" their orders and is now in charge of "fixing" them put it on an a processing block. My boss and I don't think anything of it because she is supposed to "review and fix" their orders, if needed. This morning customer emails asking where their product is and signs off with "we should have faxed the order..."

Turns out the CS rep left it on a block overnight, meaning the order didn't process. I look at the order and the customer ordered items on the wrong account (user error) so I fix the order, create a new order for the other items, call the delivery plant and arrange for delivery today then respond to the customer letting them know there was no issue with our website, someone left it on hold, here is what I did to fix it and they'll have their product later today with free delivery on this order and their next online order.

The CSR rep loses her shit, replies to all that the account information is wrong, she now has to issue a credit memo (nothing invoiced, nothing needs to be issued) and ordering online is too hard for this customer due to their needs (it's not, we updated the back-end to correct their accounts). The person who placed the order replied back and took ownership of their mistake. Yay! I reply back with a quick recap of the 1-2-3 order process, with screen shots. CSR rep replies internally that these items come from X, these items come from Y and she wishes we discussed this with her first (she is not the account manager or their account rep in any official capacity - transitioning to online was done by the request of the actual account manager).

I get on the phone with the Account Managers' boss to clarify a couple things for another account modification. He is pissed at the CSR for replying to all and said he is going to tell her she is not to touch these orders. He told me that she did this intentionally (my boss and I concur) because we took away a huge part of her self-claimed day-to-day responsibilities and now she has to spend more time answering the phones (what she is supposed to be doing).

I just hope we didn't lose the customer.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I just hope we didn't lose the customer.

That won't happen. The CSR rep may have been shitty and shown her shitty side to the customer, but that won't matter. You fixed their order, got it processed and shipped (and sounds like expedited shipping), didn't bill them for shipping on this order, gave them free shipping on the next order, personally responded to them to tell them all of this, then personally responded after the shitty CSR rep, and they probably also got a personal response from the Account Manager's boss, as well. That buys a lot of loyalty and goodwill. Believe me, if Sprint were half that nice to me regarding this billing issue that I'm still trying to get fixed, not only would I not be bashing them all over social media, I would instead be singing their praises.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

That won't happen. The CSR rep may have been shitty and shown her shitty side to the customer, but that won't matter. You fixed their order, got it processed and shipped (and sounds like expedited shipping), didn't bill them for shipping on this order, gave them free shipping on the next order, personally responded to them to tell them all of this, then personally responded after the shitty CSR rep, and they probably also got a personal response from the Account Manager's boss, as well. That buys a lot of loyalty and goodwill. Believe me, if Sprint were half that nice to me regarding this billing issue that I'm still trying to get fixed, not only would I not be bashing them all over social media, I would instead be singing their praises.

Actually, you're wrong. We almost lost their online business and if it weren't for the Account Manager's boss (Big Boss), who used to be their Account Manager, we would have. After this screw up, despite the resolution, they were going to go back to faxing their orders because "[CSR Rep] said they could. Never-mind she's the one that fucked it up in the first place. The Big Boss told the customer that going back to faxing was not an option, they are required to order online if they want the pricing they received. He also reiterated the issue was caused by the CSR rep, not the online system.

• Love 5

@theredhead77, why wasn't the CSR reprimanded or even fired?   We had someone who'd worked for the company at least 5 years, seemed ok enough (a little odd personality but did their job) who really messed up an account, where it cost the company a few hundred thousand dollars to fix.  That person was let go a few weeks back, shocking everyone.

@emma675, Dip is now 64 or 65 years old.  They're someone who's either lucked out or BS'd their way along.  Dip was able to pretty much do only what they wanted to do, having a nice quiet little job but making it look like they were a big shot.  One boss who knew systems inside and out, figured it out and eventually demoted Dip.  Dip then was transferred out to another department to another, then to our area. Classic case of managers just passing someone along so they didn't have to deal with that person.  Dip doesn't want to retire as they've read that if you retire you lose cognitive abilities.  That is true if you do not stay active, but I could sure find other fun stuff to do that would keep my brain alert.    One core problem is Dip has shitty pc skills - virtually no Excel, Word, Access - basic skills - sorting, copy/paste vs copy/cut, moving files.  Plus, they are very careless in what they enter.  For example, when updating a client, put a random backslash or dash into the client name (typo).  You get a message on the order of do you want to save this change?  Yep, had to have entered right through it.  Got a request two weeks later to correct the name.  The original update (typo) had their ID all over it.  This was visible to the client, but to Dip, "oh well".  It's one thing to make a mistake, we all do, but it's continual stuff like that happening.  One was to undo all updates I made because they put their updates on the wrong tab of a spreadsheet and wrote over my updates.  For 4 new clients.  I thought I'd lost my mind - did I not make the updates.  Sure I did.  And the updates Dip made never happened, nor did they check to make sure the updates took.  It's very frustrating, and I think boss now has Dip on the old Personal Improvement Plan (which is always one step before they let you go).  You either shape up or ship off.  I'm guessing they'll try to ship them off to yet another department.

• Love 2