Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

There are mixed emotions in the DiLaurentis household when Charles declares he is coming home for his birthday. Mr. DiLaurentis wants to quickly get out of town to hide Ali and Jason from their brother, while Jason sees this as an opportunity to finally validate all of the early childhood memories he has of "Charlie." The PLLs are just as split with Spencer and Hanna seeing this as the best chance they have to capture Charles, while Emily and Aria want to stay as far from him as possible. Will Jason be reunited with his brother, or is this just another of "A's" traps? Meanwhile, Mona is shutting Mike out and Hanna gets an unwelcomed surprise.

Promo:

while Jason sees this as an opportunity to finally validate all of the early childhood memories he has of "Charlie."

The DiLaurentis' gas lighting Jason into thinking his brother was an imaginary friend is quite possibly both the best and most screwed up thing to come from the show. I love it. But seriously Jason, Charlie pushed you down an elevator shaft. It's not going to be the greatest reunion.

The PLLs are just as split with Spencer and Hanna seeing this as the best chance they have to capture Charles, while Emily and Aria want to stay as far from him as possible.

Once again, Spencer and Hanna are ride or die while Emily and Aria remain useless.

• Love 6
Is the show teasing us again with Toby dying? Come on, show...

My thoughts exactly, but if it's foolish to hope then call me a fool. Spoby is deader than dead at this point, it would be the only way to end this relationship on any sort of substantial dramatic note.

• Love 4

My thoughts exactly, but if it's foolish to hope then call me a fool. Spoby is deader than dead at this point, it would be the only way to end this relationship on any sort of substantial dramatic note.

I'd rather them take this opportunity to turn Toby into UberForRealA. They had such a good thing going with that until they chickened out.

• Love 2
I'd rather them take this opportunity to turn Toby into UberForRealA. They had such a good thing going with that until they chickened out.

This would be the dream! Getting all the A suspects, especially Ezra and Toby, and then: SUPRISE, GIRLS, YOU WERE ACTUALLY RIGHT ALL THOSE TIMES! Now that would be a twist!

• Love 3

This would be the dream! Getting all the A suspects, especially Ezra and Toby, and then: SUPRISE, GIRLS, YOU WERE ACTUALLY RIGHT ALL THOSE TIMES! Now that would be a twist!

Yes, it would mean that the Liars are even stupider than we thought. Can't wait...

That sneak peek is the WORST. Seriously. I'd take Sara/Emily (Semily? Sarily? Emira? Has tumblr picked something yet?) over this nonsense. I understand why Mr D lied about Charles in the beginning, but then Ali showed she could find out more information than he had, and served the grave info to him on a platter. Why would he not tell Ali the truth now? In what scenario is her being helpless, confused and afraid better? But wait, he didn't hide the card either, so the first part of the scene (and presumably everything that comes before it in the episode) was just for the cheap tension and so that we see Sasha act that bit. Why, show... why?

• Love 2
(edited)

Is the show teasing us again with Toby dying? Come on, show...

Best part of the promo? Shay's Shocked Face: xVLib6E.png

(This. Forever. http://prettylittleliarsannotations.tumblr.com/post/120625472197)

As soon as I saw that preview, I IMMEDIATLEY thoughy I would have to take a screenshot of that face and use it all over the Internet whenever the opportunity presents itself! This is the best fake gasp ever! XD

PS: Why are they dressed like that? Wasn't their prom supposed to take place in 6x10? 

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli
(edited)

If this were Gossip Girl, I would just assume it was the weekly ball/dance/charity event.

Blair would have sent A home a long time ago. She doesn't slack around!

The first few cuts are from the finale not the next episode.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 2

I just saw the sneak peek. Did the liars seriously not tell Ali that they know Charles is alive??? Or is this straight after Mr D dug up the grave and found it empty? Either way...

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY SAYING ANYTHING?

Gah.

(edited)

I just saw the sneak peek. Did the liars seriously not tell Ali that they know Charles is alive??? Or is this straight after Mr D dug up the grave and found it empty? Either way...

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY SAYING ANYTHING?

Gah.

Because they're not allowed to talk about anything until the season finale when it's time reveal ALL THE ANSWERS!! And then it's time to sit down, settle in and listen to some juicy exposition. 

These girls would make their lives so much easier if they actually just communicated with the right people at the right times. After the dollhouse they should have been on both Mona and Alison for more answers, and maybe even taken a crack a Sara Harvey between showers to see if she picked up anything during her 3 years in A's dungeon playing make believe Ali. But Mona conveniently was ushered off to the spa with her mom at the beginning of the season, and Alison has been imprisoned on her porch since that time she found out the big brother she never knew she had was a mental patient who once tried to kill her and then maybe (but not really) killed himself, and Sara Harvey is too busy showering and getting terrible bird tattoos, so they just gotta figure shit out on their own because the writers have 8 whole episodes of filler to get through between the season premiere and the mid-season finale. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 3
(edited)

This episode looks passable, at least. Anyone else thinks this season might go down as the weakest? And considering season 4, imo, that's saying something. There's so many fillers. I keep having the feeling I'm watching the same scene with Sara and Emily over and over again. The only glimpses of brilliance we ever seem to get is with Hanna's character and maybe Mona.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

This episode looks passable, at least. Anyone else thinks this season might go down as the weakest? And considering season 4, imo, that's saying something. There's so many fillers. I keep having the feeling I'm watching the same scene with Sara and Emily over and over again. The only glimpses of brilliance we ever seem to get is with Hanna's character and maybe Mona.

I definitely think this season is pretty weak so far but it is still kind of early. The season premiere was good and the two episodes that followed were slow but solid and I thought did a good job of dealing with the girls' PTSD following their trauma. However, now it's been 3 straight episodes of pointless crap no one cares about, fake outs and red herrings absolutely no one has fallen for, new romances that are just gross and unappealing, and good old fashioned filler. And I have a feeling we'll get another 3 episodes of the same before the big season finale, which might be somewhat satisfying but probably not.

I think it's kind of interesting that they shortened this half season to 10 episodes instead of the usual 12, it's like they knew they didn't have enough material to work with. I'm all for starting out with a bang and finishing strong... but they gotta make all those episodes that come in between the premiere and the finale count, too. 

• Love 3

I think that's right after Mr. D dug up the grave. It's still night, and Ali asks "where were you" 

I also think Ali is going to talk, because how else are the rest of the girls going to find out that Charles is coming. 

(edited)

However, now it's been 3 straight episodes of pointless crap no one cares about, fake outs and red herrings absolutely no one has fallen for, new romances that are just gross and unappealing, and good old fashioned filler.

Or you can look at it that way - the mystery is so terribly written that even the filler is often better. For instance I will take Spencer and Hanna investigating obvious red herring Lesli (if it's done in a fun way as in much of 6.06, of course) any day rather than yet another ridiculous twist about "that night" or Charles's hilariously convoluted past. So far this season has been rather bad but still better than most of season 4 and 5. Not that this is anything to write home about,

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2
(edited)

Or you can look at it that way - the mystery is so terribly written that even the filler is often better. For instance I will take Spencer and Hanna investigating obvious red herring Lesli (if it's done in a fun way as in much of 6.06, of course) any day rather than yet another ridiculous twist about "that night" or Charles's hilariously convoluted past. So far this season has been rather bad but still better than most of season 4 and 5. Not that this is anything to write home about,

This is what's pissing me off. The first 3 episodes were really strong and I feel like the writers chose to go with dragging the storyline until the finale and somehow decided the way to do it was by dumbing down everyone an putting Ali on house arrest.

They could have just filled the time with more plausible interactions like the liars and Ali talking more, less time on Sara or the same time on Sara but at least have her talk to Ali since she had to pretend to be her for 2 years, more time on Andrew and how he figured out the liars were being framed for Mona's murder, and most of all, go deeper with the PTSD and aftermath of the dollhouse.

Or, something even more interesting, scenes of A / Charles with the mask and all but just so we start getting a sense of the character since we're supposed to sympathize with him so much once he's revealed. For example, the ending scene of episode 3 with Charles looking in on his family from the outside was quite chilling and moving at once...

Edited by raytch
  • Love 2

It could actually be really interesting to see Ali and Sara interact. I mean, what does Sara think about this girl she has been forced to be (to the best of our knowledge) all these years? Does she resent or hate Ali, or has she in some strange way become bonded with Ali because she was presumably told so much about her? Does she sympathize with Ali because her brother is obsessed with her or hate her for not being the one who he kidnaped? Any of that would, in my opinion, be far more interesting than watching Emily fall in love with another passing character. Nether actress impresses me that much so together they are just so bland to me.

I would love to get a therapy session with if not all the girls, then one of them. The whole dollhouse thing was so out there it should be dealt with more, I think.

And I agree, they should slowly start to let us into Charles's or A's world.

I don't mind red herrings if they are at least interesting. But most of them have not been. The girls' together is still what holds this show together, which is why I'm enjoying the Hastings Marin Detective Agency stuff so much. Because they are working together to at least try to figure things out while Emily makes out with messed up girl # I've lost count or Aria being all angsty on her own.

• Love 3

It could actually be really interesting to see Ali and Sara interact. I mean, what does Sara think about this girl she has been forced to be (to the best of our knowledge) all these years? Does she resent or hate Ali, or has she in some strange way become bonded with Ali because she was presumably told so much about her? Does she sympathize with Ali because her brother is obsessed with her or hate her for not being the one who he kidnaped? Any of that would, in my opinion, be far more interesting than watching Emily fall in love with another passing character. Nether actress impresses me that much so together they are just so bland to me.

I would love to get a therapy session with if not all the girls, then one of them. The whole dollhouse thing was so out there it should be dealt with more, I think.

And I agree, they should slowly start to let us into Charles's or A's world.

I don't mind red herrings if they are at least interesting. But most of them have not been. The girls' together is still what holds this show together, which is why I'm enjoying the Hastings Marin Detective Agency stuff so much. Because they are working together to at least try to figure things out while Emily makes out with messed up girl # I've lost count or Aria being all angsty on her own.

Yes!

I get Sara may have been too broken to ask anything about Ali before, but Ali should have made the effort to see her.

Especially since Ali feels so guilty towards the liars, imagine how much guilt she has towards Sara who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was taken away for more than 2 years. It would have also been a nice parallel between the 2 ex queen bees and what each had to go through. Sara was trying to run away and she was held captive by a psychotic monster, Ali wanted to fight for what she had so bad that she had to run away against her will.

If anything Ali and Sara are the ones to be making the most interactions this season because this dynamic would be incredibly interesting. I'd forgive Sara's bad acting (as I'm sure putting her with sasha wouldn't make her slightly better).

As for the rest of the liars. It seems like the show is undergoing some serious budget cuts so they're really short on the recurring characters (I'm guessing the new ones don't get nearly paid as much), and the prom being in Spencer's barn which is also a set they already have, instead of a set they have to come up with.

With this said, I understand why there aren't any more shrink sessions, but there are other ways to approach the dollhouse aftermath. They could do more flashbacks or at least try and explain some (Spencer and the blood), what happened to Emily and Hanna in there aside from the milligram experiment etc...

Showing things from A's side is something that should have happened since Ali came back, or at least since the back half of last season. It's one of my biggest problems with the show, that you can't just reveal a villain. Even if it's a character we already know, we should see how they operate, what makes them tick etc... That would even the playing field and would make Ali and nd the liars instantly more interesting. Like the scene where they broke free from the dollhouse with A operating from the control room and them communicating with him through the camera. That was great! Because we get a sense of actual presence for once and not the usual omnipresence cloud that hangs over the entire show.

• Love 1

From that Sneak Peek # 3 -- that doll toss couldn't have been more "accidentally" tossed at Mike.  It was so obvious staged that she whipped it there on purpose.  And what happened to Roid Rage Mike ?  Now it's "Mona won't call me, I have the sads" Mike.

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone else wants to see Ali telling her dad in the car "Dad you have to own it. These things have a way of catching up with you"?

Wouldn't that be a delightful come back?

Yes Walter, it would indeed

(I see all of y'all fringe fans who liked my comment last week)

Edited by raytch
  • Love 4

Emily is oozing jealousy, Toby is stoned (?) and Hannah seems to be the only one with any sense. Mama Maren deposited that money way too easily. I wish this all moved just a little faster...

• Love 1
(edited)

Cousin Freddie? Really, show? How many mentally ill DiLaurentis children can there be? Jason is lucky that he's actually a Hastings. Yeah, "Freddie" is probably a fiction invented by Mrs. D and he's really Charles, but creating yet another wacko to threaten the girls is not beyond the writers of this show either.

Edited by NeenerNeener

I'm with this show to the end, but God every episode I feel like I'm getting jerked around.

Why did Toby take Spencer's candy? Did he think it was for him?

I thought Ali was a lot younger than Jason and Charles, but she seemed around the same age in that video.

I used to like Emily, but now she is annoying as hell with her Sara obsession.

• Love 3
Emily is oozing jealousy, Toby is stoned (?) and Hannah seems to be the only one with any sense.

Except when it comes to how to pronounce 'cyborg'.

The cops in  this town, armed with guns, were taken out by tennis balls, fucking tennis balls.

Because that's the one thing you find in a lot of old pinball arcades -- a tennis ball machine. </snark>

Cousin Freddie? Really, show?

Unless he turns out to be Freddie Krueger, it's just yet another red herring.

Why are all the DiLaurentis home movies on Super 8 film ?  These movies were taken in the mid-to-late 90s, not the mid-to-late 70s.

• Love 6

Honestly, even when they mentioned Freddie, I assumed Mrs. D called Charles that as a cover, because it sounds like Charles was already in Radley at the time and was taken out for his birthday. So, you know, by calling him Freddie, it doesn't trigger any memories for Jason (even though it's really stupid and Jason would have still remembered Charles). But maybe I'm wrong. 

Oh my god Emily, you suck! I kind of liked Sara when she was with her friend. It seemed like that was what she needed....and then Emily went uber jealous bitch and almost jeopardized that. But...urg, this couple will never appeal to me. Both girls are way too messed up. Sara does need to leave, not just to get better, but also to get Emily back in the game.

I have to say, the Mike/Mona scenes were cute. After seeing Cody on Teen Wolf the last few weeks, it's sort of weird to see him back as Mike, since his other character is legit the opposite of him. I don't trust Mona completely, but I do think she has to have been traumatized so the feelings can't all be fake. 

The whole 'Toby accidentally got stoned' was not funny like I thought it would be. Darn, I was hoping for some humour there. And I guess I just noticed that Keegan isn't a main cast member anymore. Also...tennis balls. TENNIS BALLS.  Ok, then.

Jason, man, be careful! I am so worried about Jason and his lifespan on this show. Someone's gotta be the final kill from A, and Jason seems to be the most likely one to be that casualty. Also, Ali, good job on doing something that the girls should have done ages ago. Too bad it was just really, really bad timing. Not that it would have helped, seeing as Toby and partner scared Charles off first. 

No Ezra? Yay! No Caleb? Boo. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Why did Toby take Spencer's candy? Did he think it was for him?

I thought Ali was a lot younger than Jason and Charles, but she seemed around the same age in that video.

Because he's the worst? Even high he's no fun. 

She is. Jason and Charles are 6 and 7 years older than Alison but for some reason this show seems incapable of casting kids that look the appropriate age. 

Oh my god Emily, you suck! I kind of liked Sara when she was with her friend. It seemed like that was what she needed....and then Emily went uber jealous bitch and almost jeopardized that. But...urg, this couple will never appeal to me. Both girls are way too messed up. Sara does need to leave, not just to get better, but also to get Emily back in the game.

Jason, man, be careful! I am so worried about Jason and his lifespan on this show. Someone's gotta be the final kill from A, and Jason seems to be the most likely one to be that casualty. Also, Ali, good job on doing something that the girls should have done ages ago. Too bad it was just really, really bad timing. Not that it would have helped, seeing as Toby and partner scared Charles off first.  

This Sara chick is seriously dragging Emily down. Why won't she just leave for good. Every time Emily opens her mouth now it annoys me. Why is she so obsessed with this girl? She hardly knows her and Sara hasn't shown even the slightest hint of personality the entire time Emily has known her, except for when they were at lunch with her friend. And then Emily acted like some crazed jealous lover and tried to keep her from spending time with old friends despite it obviously being the best thing for her. Now Emily's not only being completely useless to her own friends but she's actually harming Sara's recovery. 

It always cracks me up that doing the right thing, i.e. telling the truth or going to the cops when someone's in danger, is presented as the wrong thing to do on this show. But ultimately it didn't even matter that Ali called 911 because Toby and Lorenzo scared Charles away before they showed up. 

Alison drugging her dad was pretty awesome though... that's a classic Ali move right there. 

Hope Lorenzo recovers from his tennis ball injury soon. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 8

Now that the Sara/Emily story line seems to be over, I am putting my money on us never seeing Sara again.  Not A killing her, just that the writers will forget she is a thing and we will never see her again, that's what seems to be happening to the passing love interests lately.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are we oficially through with run of bad episodes? Hallelujah! I simply loved this one!

I'd to start making a special mention to how pretty Alison looked with her hair back in curls, be it in a pony tail or not, jeans jacket and a summer dress, you know IN HER FRIGGING STYLE?? And not her moms!!! Also, we got to see a glimpse of old!Ali drugging her Dad! Her scene with Mona was short but sweet. I sorta kinda believe mona may have hit Alison with that rock afterall, but it was sweet. It definitely packed a punch so did the scene between Mona and Mike. The actors did an amazing job.

I loved the girls taking the trackers out by themselves. Spencer and Hanna are hardcore fierce bitches!

Surprisingly, I really liked the interaction between Sara and Claire (sp?). Are the actresses friends in real life? They were adorable together! Emily, on the other hand, creeped me the fuck out. I'm sorry if I were Claire I'd have offered for my friend to come live with me whether that had been planned or not considering how Emily was acting. She really came off way, way too possessive and controling. She knows Sara for two weeks! Mother of God!

The showdown with Jason, the liars, Charles and the cops was surprisingly well done! Jason jumping to protect Spencer was gorgeous and I think the actor really sold his desire to see Charlie again.

Last but not least, I was happy we got to see a parent react to liars stunt which was insanely dangerous. Also, I deeply appreciated the scene with Aria tearing up alone in her room after dealing with her parents. I think the show suffers when it forgets to have scenes like these.

All in all I was really entertained by tonight's episode! I did not expect this! 

The whole 'Toby accidentally got stoned' was not funny like I thought it would be. Darn, I was hoping for some humour there. And I guess I just noticed that Keegan isn't a main cast member anymore. Also...tennis balls. TENNIS BALLS.  Ok, then.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I felt sorry for him. He was clearly having a bad trip and while on duty nonetheless. Interesting about Keegan not being a regular anymore.

Cousin Freddie? Really, show? How many mentally ill DiLaurentis children can there be? Jason is lucky that he's actually a Hastings. Yeah, "Freddie" is probably a fiction invented by Mrs. D and he's really Charles, but creating yet another wacko to threaten the girls is not beyond the writers of this show either.

I think freddy is another name Mrs d used for charles, that way he could have a birthday party and the other kids wouldn't tell they went to charles bday

I'm glad you said it because for a moment there I thought I was going crazy since as I watched the scene I automatically concluded the boy was Charles and the whole "second cousins' birthday party" was Jessica's way of having her three children celebrate Charlie's birthday together. There were obviously no other children there and little "Freddie" inquired when he'd have to "go back" which obviously meant Radley.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yay, Sara is gone. Can I like Emily again? Well.. I think this show is losing me but i am here to the end. i wish i knew how to quit you show.

God, if they wanted to make Toby worse they sure as hell did it by having him eating Spencers laced candy and getting high and still being.. hinself.

You guys its episodes like this when I miss Jenna and her stick walking around Rosewood high. I'm just sort of meh on the show now,

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

This was a really good episode. That "Jason, Jason, come play with me!" will probably haunt my dreams tonight. Stoned Toby had me howling. Seriously scared for Jason though. I don't think he and Charlie have the same kind of playtime in mind and now he thinks that Jason squealed on him? Back to the elevator shaft you go.

The DiLaurentis parents suck. Their track record is as follows:

Put Kid #1 away in a sanitarium and only let him out in secret on a day pass one time. When he's on his day pass, refer to him as Freddy.

Gaslight Kid #2 into thinking that Charlie was just some imaginary friend he had. Gaslight him until he is a teenage stoner/alcoholic.

Bury Kid #3 alive.

#parentinggoals

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 16

Okay, I hate to seem dense but....

Am I really supposed to believe that the A that hijacked a police van under gps and video surveillance, kidnapped 6 women, mentally tortured them, implanted microchips in their necks, and kept them in a dungeon/dollhouse over a period of 1 month - 3 years is the same A whose track record includes saran wrapping Aria to a wall and tossing a few tennis balls at the Rosewood Mall Cops? 

Thank GAWD Sara is gone. 

• Love 5