Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: 40 Days Snake in the Grass

So glad Honora tapped out early on this week so we didn't have to listen to her whine anymore!  And good on Chris for finding those things in the water too!  

It might be editing, but I really am not seeing Shane act so badly toward Alana and Danielle.  They seem to be coming off like the assholes here, as far as I'm concerned.  I think the biggest problem he has is trying to pre-empt people from thinking negatively about him by telling them about his past, which actually backfires because then they're looking for him to act "crazy" (even though he seems reasonable enough from what they've been showing).  I usually don't like it when people who can't sit still get annoyed with partners who want to conserve energy, but I would have been pissed at Alana too for that snare comment - the way she kept saying "if we're going to make snares...", when I wonder whether she planned on actually helping at all or not.  The whole group needs to learn how to have respectful conversations with each other!

I don't get why EJ and Jeff had to both go for the water to cook their turtle, maybe for light?  I saw EJ's second episode that he did with Laura a few weeks ago, and I love how he seemed to refer back to that when he was talking about how they got too cocky and should have had more respect for their meal.  I find him so endearing, I hope they can get to a better camp soon and start having more success.  

Thought it was surprising the way that Dani had felt so isolated with Eva and Laura, who both seem pretty kind and welcoming, but I get her point about having been on her own initially for so long.  I'm interested to see what happens with them possibly merging with Luke and Chris soon, although I hope they don't get angry at her for bringing others around.  Also I wondered whether she was told not to share who her teammates were with them, or if she chose not to tell them on her own - she did say who the guys were when she got back to the ladies group, so maybe she was just trying to be discreet.  

• Love 7
(edited)

Great episode! I can't wait for next week! I lost my first version so this is a rewrite.

Honora - Devil's Toddler

Of course she quit! I was not surprised about that at all. How can someone who did not make 21 days expect to make it 40 days? I actually thought that she considered for a second further sabotaging the team by doing something to their shelter, but she probably did not have the energy for it. She is so despicable, petulant, and a disgrace. I am so glad she is gone. Quitter! Loser! Go kick rocks, or go back to whatever hole you came from. And NEWSFLASH Dishonora, your grandfather is NOT proud of you! He is extremely ashamed and embarrassed. He is probably either rolling over in his grave, or apologizing profusely to Chris and Luke's grandparents in heaven for your shoddy behavior.

Dani & Girls Camp

How did Danny find the guys camp? She must have had some producer intervention. Even if she is an excellent tracker, that is a lot of land mass to cover. Seems very convenient that she stumbled upon their camp when there are not even close to each other. Why did she spy on them first? Even if she wanted to case out their situation, she could have still came in and introduced herself. That was weird. I was surprised that she told the girls about her excursion. They took it very well considering. It sounds like next week there's going to be a merge.

The Turtle/Tortoise/EJ &Jeff

Is this going to be part of the storyline now? Someone last week said that the turtle is an endangered species and maybe that is why one of the producers helped him escape. I felt bad for EJ and Jeff because they thought they would have dinner but alas they did not. They really need to move their camp somewhere else where there are better resources, maybe something closer to the water. It did not make sense for them to build such a huge shelter so far from everything. It would be hilarious if they linked up with Shane next episode.

Shane/Lazy Dani &Alana

Shane gets my star for this episode. I love the fact that he just excused himself from the situation and built his own campsite. Even though he is weird and quirky, he has tried very hard to play nice with the girls, and all they did was mock him at every turn. When he chopped down the tree so they would have more fruit, they complained that he left a hole in their shade canopy. At least he was trying to be part of the team...they were just acting like mean bitches. Now the girls will have to get up and actually do some work. I hope he doesn't relent from being separate until they shape up. When he tried to voice his indignation and reasons for leaving, Dani actually had a moment of contrition, but the other one (Alana?) just got irate. She actually said, "That came out of nowhere, who does that?" like he's the crazy one for no longer wanting to be a verbal whipping boy. Now they're going to see all the hard work he's been doing that the lazy bums have been taking for granted. I never saw them once trying to get wood for the fire. I hope that Shane finds some food soon so that he can thrive until the next merge happens.

Edited by Spiderella2
  • Love 10

Bye Honora. So you say you did this horrible thing for fame? Well, I don't know if that is really true and it does not excuse your actions at all but you got your 15 minutes; now please never grace my television with your face ever again and I shall delete all memory of you from my mind. Consider yourself unpersoned: Honora. Honor. Hono. Hon. Ho. H. .

• Love 10

I'm enjoying watching Chris and Luke the most, EJ and Jeff second, Dani/Laura/Eva third, and Shane/Alana/Dani fourth. Now that Honora's gone, I'm loving the vibe over at Chris and Luke's camp. Thought it was pretty obvious that Dani should've jut stayed with them, not sure how well the boys will take to her bringing the other two to their camp without her asking.

And LOL to EJ and Jeff--I also think maybe the producers had something to do with it, but tortoises are good at digging.

Glad Shane up and left, it was getting pretty mean over at that camp.

• Love 5

I'm glad Honora tapped out. I was so disgusted by her evil actions and whining. I wish Chris and Luke would have said 'Bye Felicia' as she was walking out of camp, that would have been funny. Glad Chris found all the stuff she had thrown into the water.

I feel bad for Shane. Maybe it's the way they are editing, but it does look like Alana and Dani are just laying around doing nothing.

I don't know why Dani didn't feel a part of the girls alliance. Eva and Laura seemed nice to her and were including her in their group. Again, it could be editing.

I had to laugh when EJ and Jeff found the turtle. Was it the same turtle Alana and Dani found and let go? It almost felt like a plant by the producers. I'll bet the turtle dug under the cage and escaped.

I am loving this show now that Honora is gone!

• Love 5

When Honora tapped out it was like a huge weight was lifted off the show. So much better now! The only other thing that could improve it is if Alana shut the hell up. Seriously, what a monstrous bitch she is turning out to be. Danielle is kind of following her lead because she is young and a bit stupid. But Alana is Regina George in this scenario. I remember she had a huge problem with her partner in her 21-day challenge too. Now I see why. There is absolutely no need to be so nasty to Shane. He has mood swings? Gee, I wonder if it's because you act horribly towards him for no good reason. Shane is gracious and willing to expend his energy to help the women, but they just shit all over him, metaphorically speaking. Yeah, he may not have the greatest social skills, but he isn't the psycho they claim he is. He's not dangerous or even particularly unpleasant. Ugh. Tired of seeing Shane get the short straw with this group. Good for him building a new lodge! That hammock looked amazing. 

• Love 10

I didn't think it was fair that Honora didn't have to leave her tools (machete) behind when she tapped out (as other tap out contestants always do). Then I wondered if the producers were afraid to try to take it from her. She is either extremely unstable or the audience is being played. For example, why do all the girls seem like "mean girls"? How is it that we hear so much giggling from Alana and Danielle? It's as if they are gaslighting Shane. Maybe it's all editing but I still didn't expect to hear any school girl type giggling from them.

• Love 6
(edited)

When Shane left (yea) one of the women, Alana, or Dani, I get them confused, said, "Good luck, Shane, you're gonna need it."  The one with redish hair said it, as opposed to the blondish hair one with no upper lip. [/im mean and shallow now]  SHANE'S gonna need luck? Maybe it was edit monkeys, but I didn't see these chicks do much. It seemed all Shane. He is damaged imo and to mock and deliberately provoke a damaged person is just evil.

Is Honora that cray's real name? Is she in a relationship or married? Because if not, after this I cannot see her ever getting a date ever..... well... not with a normal person anyway. The internetS are forever.  Wow. She was ..... something. I also kind of hate Chris. He seems just as bad to me, in the bad person department -  but he is more subtle about it.

I know EJ and Jeff were excited to "find" that turtle, but I hated all the screaming. Poor little turtle. I totally would have eaten it though. My bf said that turtle is delicious. (He ate it, or something like it in a jungle-ish situation/vacation back in the day) If it was 15 pounds, wouldn't most of that been shell? That was pretty stupid not to have a floor in that "turtle cage." The little dude was gone 5 minutes after they walked away. Why did they walk away from dinner like that? Bummer when you're starving. I mean even if the turtle did not dig himself out, some other hungey predator would have found him for dinner -  if there are even other animals allowed near the camp, that is *snerk* Why didn't they take the turtle with them to wherever they were going - to get water or whatever? bah

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why the heck, as mentioned, was Dani sneaking up on Chris and Luke? I dont' get it That's a good way to get hacked with a machete... if they had one. Don't sneak up on fellow humans who don't know you are there. "Who is with you?" "Nobody." Really? No one was literally with her at that moment, but yeah there are two others. Odd. yeah ok she told them later. The name, "Team Bromance" was kind of cute though.

Two giggles.

Shane. "Cherrio!"

EJ: "That little turtle was an escape artist."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Is it wrong that I was happy the turtle escaped? 

Honora never should have been included on this show. She was completely inept on her own episode, which is the reason she had to be hauled off. Her sabotages were horrible. I'm glad the guys found the things she dumped in the water.

I liked Dani with the guys, but her going back to her team and inviting them over there was not cool. It's not her camp to invite people to. Camp Bromance will not be happy.

Shane and his teammates definitely have a communication problem. I like Danielle from her episode. Not liking her here with Alana. 

• Love 7

OK, I have to watch this show thinking editing is a bitch. I will never know exactly what happened, all I can know is what they filmed happened, but not necessarily in that order. YO can't take words or deeds back, but you can have them taken out of context. Did the guys recover everything,I Thought they said something about 5 items. 

The turtle, I believe they described it as a snappingturtle, so I can see not carrying it around in case you get titten, but why not put it in the bag to carry it - not strong enough? too much weight? I don't think snapping turtles are protected anywhere. I think they were going to get water to cook the turtle in, but probably should have killed and carried it.

Horora, not sure why she got to take her machete. I realize that poor put upon woman who worked so very hard to be nice to these horrible men wanted to make sure they failed if she failed - I think she missed the point of this, to cooperate to survive not to make sure no one survived.

RE Alana and the EMT. I get the whole conserve your energy idea, but I think it would be better t make a camp and gather supplies so you can conserve energy when you need to. I imagine you will feel your best the first week , no? I don't think waiting to get water until you have a heat stroke is a good idea. I think a real survival/ life skill successful people have is trying to get along with people you don't like, looking at things from their perspective, and willingness to compromise. I think Alana was just plain mean, and the EMT girl some kind of follower. She seemed to be proud of her self when she said "he has no survival skills!" like she was really funny or something. I cannot decide which is worse. Think for yourself girl. And seriously WTF when you call him a chauvinist then complain about needing him to fend off animals.

• Love 12

Glad to see the back of Honora. Even if she was faking everything or whatever and did it all for the screentime, she's still a huge asshole - coming into a situation like this with two people who really do want to take on this challenge and make it through and trying to sabotage their efforts just so that you can be on TV is a dick move.

I'm still loving the all women team. I can see how serious hunger could heighten your emotions and make you feel anxious and paranoid even if you're not actually being excluded from things, and I'm glad they were able to all sit down and talk about it. I hope things go okay when they merge groups - on the one hand, I do think it'd be pretty shitty for them to just pop into Luke and Chris's camp and expect to join up without asking if the guys want to. On the other hand, none of them own this land, so if the women wanted to set up camp next door to Camp Bromance, they have every right to. 

The Alpha Male team is amusing. I liked EJ's monologue about how they need to respect what they hunt and be thankful, nice callback to Laura telling him the same during their Amazon episode.

I'm not sure if the Shane/Alana/Danielle feud is down to editing, Alana/Danielle being jerks, or Shane just getting off on the wrong foot with them and the two of them then picking fights in response, but I do think there's a lesson in here for Shane: don't tell someone at your first meeting that you're almost a sociopath. That would put me on serious guard, so while it does seem like Alana/Danielle are acting like jerks and Shane hasn't done much wrong, if I were them I'd be really wary of him too. They also keep saying that Shane has mood swings, which we really haven't see any evidence of, so either they're leaving a lot on the editing room floor (definitely possible) or the two of them are just making things up (also possible).

• Love 2
(edited)

It's really interesting how my perception of some participants has changed from their original episode to XL.

I thought Alana was an accomplished survivalist, being the 1st female to finish alone.  Now I do not see her demonstrating teamwork or survival skills, rather exhibiting behavior that is against teamwork.

Now she has changed her vocation to Texas Ranch Girl yet her bio says "She works as a supervisor in luxury retail".  What a difference, when she was in Fiji, I think it was makeup artist.

Alana's partner Dani, also seems different.  She was concerned that Shane would be gone all day in case they needed someone to repel a large animal, yet enjoyed teaming with Alana to be negative and rude toward Shane.  I would not have guessed that of her after her first N & A visit to Columbia.

I was giggling when the producers put the change in PSR for each group on screen.  Are any viewers talking about what someones PSR is?  Is there a correlation with PSR and successfully completing the challenge.

Edited by Liberty

I too don't understand why Dani snuck up on the guys' camp.  Is it a competition amongst each group to see who lasts the longest?  I thought they were all trying to survive.  Wouldn't it be better to just say hello and ask to pool resources?  Chris seems to think it's a competition, he said before that he refuses to drag Honora to the finish line with him.  Why not all work together?  I suppose the concern would be that someone isn't pulling their weight yet consuming resources.

• Love 1
It might be editing, but I really am not seeing Shane act so badly toward Alana and Danielle.  They seem to be coming off like the assholes here, as far as I'm concerned.  I think the biggest problem he has is trying to pre-empt people from thinking negatively about him by telling them about his past, which actually backfires because then they're looking for him to act "crazy" (even though he seems reasonable enough from what they've been showing).  I usually don't like it when people who can't sit still get annoyed with partners who want to conserve energy, but I would have been pissed at Alana too for that snare comment - the way she kept saying "if we're going to make snares...", when I wonder whether she planned on actually helping at all or not.  The whole group needs to learn how to have respectful conversations with each other!

To me it just seems like they settled for the "weirdo" image of him and aren't even willing to give him the benefit of doubt. He was trying to do something all the time and all they did was complain about him being a threat or about him doing something they don't approve of. So I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll manage on their own. He has his issues, but they could at least have tried to be more understanding since they would be going to spend more than a month together as a team. Even if he's "trying to show off", he still brought food and built their shelters, and that's what matters, so what difference does it make?

I liked Dani with the guys, but her going back to her team and inviting them over there was not cool. It's not her camp to invite people to. Camp Bromance will not be happy.

Yeah, I don't think it was right of her to invite the girls over without getting an answer from the guys first. Their place may well not be able to sustain so many people for long, so I don't think the guys will be happy about it. At least they're not Honora. I also liked Dani with the guys, they seemed to get along better. It would have been nice if she stayed, but I think she felt bad about the idea of quitting her original team, so she went back just not to seem like a douche. I got the impression she was going to quit the team and join the guys if she had more problems with the girls after going back.

• Love 7

I'm rooting for Shane on his own. His partners are condescending. The hammock he built is awesome.

Bye Honora. Won't miss you. if you think this will lead to an acting career. Think again. No way any producer or director will want to deal with an unknown who will storm off every time they don't get their way.

You do realize Dani wasn't actually sneaking up on Chris and Luke like they showed. Dani might have been able to hide, but there's no way the 2 guys didn't see the film crew. It was all an act.

I have a pet tortoise and when I saw what was done to cage the tortoise, I knew it wouldn't work. Tortoises have claws and they're made for digging and shredding. They can dig for hours without stopping. I understand why they kept the tortoise alive to make sure it didn't spoil, but why didn't they at least put it on it's back?

If Chris and Luke were smart, they would realize 5 is much better than 2 or 3. You can always keep someone at camp to keep the fire going or make improvements while 4 hunt/gather food and water. 4 people are much better at surrounding and killing large prey than 2. Plus, you get to use the tools from 2 groups.

• Love 4

I wonder if they had more than 5 of those little minnows or whatever.  If you have a net and can catch five of those things, surely you can catch more.  I have never seen only five minnows.  I'm surprised at what poor fishermen all these "survivalists" seem to be (throughout the series).

• Love 2

You do realize Dani wasn't actually sneaking up on Chris and Luke like they showed. Dani might have been able to hide, but there's no way the 2 guys didn't see the film crew. It was all an act.

It was nice that Dani had her own camera crew for the days she was alone, and was able to take them along on her journey to search for food which ended at Cano Verde.

I agree with some of the other posters.  I don't see Shane as the main asshole of that trio.  Ms. Smirks-A-Lot and her minion don't seem to be doing anything at camp.  I get conserving energy especially in the heat of the day,but they haven't been shown doing any work that I can remember.  Gather some twigs, reinforce the shelter, venture more then 10 feet away from the camp and look for food...do something!  I wanted to smack the smirk of "ranch girl's" face when she sneered at Shane's snare idea.  If multiple snares are the answer how about saying "A snare is a good idea, maybe we can set several around the area to increase our chances.  Let's get started on building a few."  They were mean girls to Shane at every turn and then when he leaves they are boo-hooing about needing him for protection? 

I have no words for Honora.  Whether she did her cray cray act for 15 min of fame or if she really is nutso, who the hell wants to be her friend or significant other?  What a damaged person! 

• Love 5

I don't know why Dani didn't feel a part of the girls alliance. Eva and Laura seemed nice to her and were including her in their group. Again, it could be editing.

It seemed to me that Eva and Laura just had a bond already and so Dani was playing catch up to just even knowing them and they did seem to go off and follow their already established little routines that of course Dani hadn't been around to know about so she seemed to get left out and too shy to just insert herself into the situations.  I also did pick up a vibe that from Eva that was a bit more hostile than I'd expected.  Even if Dani had decided to switch teams, she hadn't been a burden while she had been with them and they really seemed to like her net so while I was glad they seemed to be in a better place at the end of this episode, I didn't like how defensive Ava and Laura were acting. 

• Love 1

I hope Shane does well. I fear he jinxed himself with all the talk about lasting 40 days. I'm not superstitious but I've seen other shows edited so that when someone says they will last the entire time or will win, then they are out next. Regardless, I am currently rooting for Shane and am so disappointed in Dani the follower. Do we have two people named Dani? One of the mean girls and one in the all girl group? I'm disappointed with the Dani paired with Shane and the other mean girl.