Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Improv

• Start Topic

I'm not sure it would matter for Dom. His "What now?" reaction when the judges were about to praise his pizza tells me he is so defensive, he's not going to take constructive criticism well.

Initially, I didn't mind Dom, but then his comments, body language, and attitude turned me off. I don't think he's the type who can take constructive criticism well either.

• Love 2

Eddie could take his food truck around to sporting venues, sorta like Guy Fieri in his red Camaro. Eddie could check out the tailgate and sports bar scenes in these cities on game day....

I would watch that.

As much as I think Eddie is probably the best of the lot left, I am just so over the BBQ-Grilling-Tailgate Game Day food idea.  I'm actually ready for something completely different.  The only one left with that quality is Arnold, although I'm not completely in love with him and his alter ego "Suzy" either.  I'd definitely watch Arnold as Suzy, though!

• Love 1

The two best are Jay and Eddie, period. Both appear to be capable of putting on a show. For those of you who remember Justin Wilson, is there a simliar show on any of the cooking networks?  Jay could do a simliar show.

Eddie could take his food truck around to sporting venues, sorta like Guy Fieri in his red Camaro. Eddie could check out the tailgate and sports bar scenes in these cities on game day....

I want to see Eddie cook though, not visit and eat other people's food.   There are way too many shows that already do that.  They could send Eddie to cook with tailgaters though.  But that doesn't really have anything to do with Caribbean food though.

I am in the camp that this is all scripted. I don't believe there is any way at all that Dom could be that bad on camera and have auditioned for/be on this show particularly in light of his talking heads. Emilia's outburst was not believable either for all the reasons mentioned particularly the "break the rules" t shirt. It makes sense they would suggest she roast her fellow contestants because that might create backstage drama as well. The producers are directing it and maybe bobby and giada aren't fully aware of the script but given the Justin and cowboy guy debacles I believe they picked a winner in advance and are manipulating their way to a foregone conclusion while manufacturing drama among the contestants and potential buzz.

• Love 4

Bob Tuschman Does His Annual "Horrified" Prissy Face

It seems like each year, someone says something inappropriate while Bob is sitting there, which is subsequently followed by Bob looking as if he'd just seen a poopy diaper.  I understand saying "dick" on FN is inappropriate, but Tuschman reads to me like the first Jewish boy raised in a convent.

This made me laugh so hard. I thing Tusch is probably a nice guy, but that snark was killer.

When Emilia started talking about the other contestants, I literally said out loud, "Is she having a stroke?" I mean, I couldn't believe she planned to say any of that... maybe she had a little too much alcohol to loosen her up? At any rate, I knew she was a goner just by Kermit and Medusa's facial expressions. Alex and his potty mouth would have gone instead had she not flamed out so spectacularly.

I thought it might be booze related too. It that's what she's like when she's loosened up, she ought to become a teetotaler. Keep that mean girl genie bottled up.

I'm no fan of Dom's, but I thought the "adios" comment was because he was so certain he was toast. If it was directed at Emelia, that was rude. But then so was she.

I thought, for a second, that it was directed at Emilia, but then I decided he kind of looked up at sandwich guy and looked kind of hang dog. So I think he thought he was going to leave. Which he should have - the second he clutched his pearls at the first camera challenge on the show, I was like "enough already!" But no one expected Mean Girl Emilia to challenge him for bottom rung.

• Love 2

I think Penny was brought in during her year just for the drama.  There was another woman a couple of years ago whose name I can't remember.  I think she was a plant as well.  She was annoying, but a couple of people actually liked her.  A lot of these people who keep turning up on different shows, do "reality" TV for a living.

I didn't think much of Dom from the beginning.  The only reason he's still on the show was because Emelia screwed up so badly.  If she had only just stumbled during her segment instead of making fun of people, I'm pretty sure Dom would be gone.  All she had to do was be better than Dom.  Which pretty much meant not running away from the camera.  

I think Penny was brought in during her year just for the drama.  There was another woman a couple of years ago whose name I can't remember.  I think she was a plant as well.  She was annoying, but a couple of people actually liked her.  

I think Penny was brought in during her year just for the drama.  There was another woman a couple of years ago whose name I can't remember.  I think she was a plant as well.  She was annoying, but a couple of people actually liked her.  

You've got to be thinking of Danushka, who was so deliciously abrasive, she couldn't have been anything but a ratings shill.  

I've been following everyone's posts about the possibility of Emilia's bizarro act being scripted.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  There's something about this season of FNS that feels particularly inauthentic.  Besides Emilia's too-far-out-of-character self-immolation, there's Dom who, as others have pointed out, freezes up in front of the camera except that when he's talking to camera within the episode (those one-on-one commentary moments) he's as comfortable as Johnny Carson.  Then there was the whole Matthew Grunwald thing, which felt like bullshit to me at the time and still does.  I smell a trope: from the moment of Giada's dramatic dismissal, I decided he would return via Star Salvation or reappear next season, fully penitent and praising Food Network for having taught him his lesson.  And of that "dramatic dismissal"--really?  One of their most carefully handled stars would make a shocking, spontaneous decision on camera and the producers would simply let it fly?  My thought at the time was, it makes for great TV, but I don't believe it for a second.

• Love 3

I've said before, and someone above also indicated they believe, that the winner was chosen before the show even began, or perhaps shortly afterwards.  Just a feeling I get, no evidence I can cite, but it fits with so many duds being cast this time.  I really hope that Rue makes it out of Exile Island or whatever it's called, just so one more woman has a shot, but I have felt for weeks that Eddie is the pre-ordained winner. 

Besides Emilia's too-far-out-of-character self-immolation,

I don't think Emilia's snark-rant was scripted.  It wasn't good enough to be.  If they wanted to script a contestant snarking on their fellow competitors, Emilia is the last person they would've chosen.

I've said before, and someone above also indicated they believe, that the winner was chosen before the show even began, or perhaps shortly afterwards.  Just a feeling I get, no evidence I can cite,

Is the winner being determined by audience-vote this year?

Either way, I think in "audition-type" reality shows like FNS, Apprentice, Top Chef, etc. where there are a panel of Judges (as opposed to something like Survivor where the contestants determine the eliminations) TPTB may go in with a handful of potential "Chosen Ones" .  Their goal then is to structure a F4 or F3 that is either filled with those Chosen Ones (so that it's a no-lose situation from TPTB's perspective), or includes only Chosen One(s) and a clear goat who they can guarantee will crash and burn in the finale.

• Love 1
(edited)

"I don't think Emilia's snark-rant was scripted. It wasn't good enough to be. If they wanted to script a contestant snarking on their fellow competitors, Emilia is the last person they would've chosen."

I don't think they precisely script but I think they told each person hey if you get food network as your topic you should maybe talk about the other contestants! It'll be funny! This way they push the episode in the direction they want it to go.

Edited by novhappy

I don't think they precisely script but I think they told each person hey if you get food network as your topic you should maybe talk about the other contestants! It'll be funny! This way they push the episode in the direction they want it to go.

That's the way I imagine it happening. Not a script, but a lot of prompting from the producers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went through her clothes and "suggested" the outfit she wore.

• Love 1

I've been following everyone's posts about the possibility of Emilia's bizarro act being scripted.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  There's something about this season of FNS that feels particularly inauthentic.  Besides Emilia's too-far-out-of-character self-immolation, there's Dom who, as others have pointed out, freezes up in front of the camera except that when he's talking to camera within the episode (those one-on-one commentary moments) he's as comfortable as Johnny Carson.  Then there was the whole Matthew Grunwald thing, which felt like bullshit to me at the time and still does.  I smell a trope: from the moment of Giada's dramatic dismissal, I decided he would return via Star Salvation or reappear next season, fully penitent and praising Food Network for having taught him his lesson.  And of that "dramatic dismissal"--really?  One of their most carefully handled stars would make a shocking, spontaneous decision on camera and the producers would simply let it fly?  My thought at the time was, it makes for great TV, but I don't believe it for a second.

While I think most recent seasons of FNS have been inauthentic I agree with you and I think it's because once again this season they've chosen most of these people for entertainment value and there's only one "real" contestant.  From the start I fully expected Matthew to be the one that comes back from Star Salvation.  It just seemed like such a set up for it.  And suddenly when he came back he'd be all rainbows and unicorns similar to the way Luca returned speaking the king's English last year!  I didn't believe that for a second either.  Emilia's self-immolation seemed out of character for her but she was all over the map in recent episodes and she had taken a few swigs of wine to loosen herself up beforehand.  It seemed like a "go big or go home" decision, but one would have to wonder how she could have been THAT BAD if it wasn't somehow planned to be that bad.  It was a kind of schtick to begin with so it was hard to tell how authentic it was.

• Love 2

I think the difference between Dom in the talking heads and Don during the presentations comes down to editing. In those talking heads there is a producer just next to the camera asking Dom questions and chatting with him. It's been the same person since the start and he's probably more comfortable talking with someone and having the conversation edited down to his talking heads than he is talking to a camera having a totally one-sided presentation. I can easily believe he gets nervous on his own but is okay in a more produced situation.

With Emilia I can see a producer saying "we fell in love with you because of your blog. Give us more of her. We loved the way you went after your dates. It's hilarious and real. Be funny like that. It's what got you here." I can see that messing with Emilia and making her think those impressions were the way to go.

• Love 6

VERY astute thoughts, both Snarklepuss and Vibeology!  You've given me pause to consider and reconsider.  Is there something wrong with me that I'm enjoying reading the posts here more than watching the show this season?

• Love 6

I do wonder if all of the challenges and set-ups are planned before the season ever begins ... I'd have to imagine they would be, logically, but wonder sometimes if some are set up to weed specific folks out or at least to let their chosen ones shine, once they figure out those TCOs' strong points?

It certainly made sense that Eddie, Jay, Arnold were the ones who shone while stiff Emilia, cute but forgettable Alex (wow, love the fact that Emilia's meltdown took so much spotlight over his "WTF was that about" performance!) and Dom, whose TCO status seemed to go on a steep decline in last two weeks, imploded. (Oh, and Michelle was forgettable per usual and coasted another week simply by virtue of the fact that others were worse rather than her being good).

Viewer vote or not, I don't see Matthew's return being one that would catapult him to the title. Luca (who still should have/could have won and would probably have won without viewer vote) was SO likeable, and his early exit was a one-off of sorts (as with Kristen Kish on Top Chef during her season)  but Matthew, even if he's less of an outright a$$hole, will at best seem insincere if he's all unicorns and rainbows and will still leave enough of a taste of smarm that I, for one, would not want to watch a show with him in it. Plus, boring POV. At best, a little redemption and maybe a webisode series.

I do wonder if all of the challenges and set-ups are planned before the season ever begins ... I'd have to imagine they would be, logically, but wonder sometimes if some are set up to weed specific folks out or at least to let their chosen ones shine, once they figure out those TCOs' strong points?

Yes, as with all reality shows, the challenges are mapped out ahead of time. They have to be, in order to secure locations, audience participants, necessary equipment, etc. They know who their contestants are going to be, but have no idea who will still be around when a certain challenge happens. For instance, if they have a challenge geared toward pizza as they did this week, if they have a contestant who works in a pizza place...they'd have a natural advantage. Unless the contestant got bounced early, quit, or whatever.

Yes, as with all reality shows, the challenges are mapped out ahead of time. They have to be, in order to secure locations, audience participants, necessary equipment, etc. They know who their contestants are going to be, but have no idea who will still be around when a certain challenge happens.

We'll never know, but I tend to disagree.  I think the whole thing is whiteboarded out as soon as they've picked the cast.

Oh, I agree the tasks are probably mapped out AFTER they have the cast. But they don't know if their food truck owner will make it to the food truck challenge, and so on.

Moving to "wrong with" thread.

(edited)

Observations:

*Whatever good will I had for Emilia for calling Dom & Michelle's spat last week "worse than [her] divorce" is gone. Her boring performance during the Mini-Challenge was bad enough,  but her performance in the Main Challenge wasn't just worse, it was horrible. In its own way, Emilia's Main Challenge performance was as cringe-worthy as Dom & Michelle's fight and Matthew's smirking his way to elimination in Week 2. Emilia's job was to sell herself, not trash everyone else. Like the saying goes, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression" & if the audience's reaction was any indication, Emilia's sucked like a hooker on payday. I never want to see Emilia again on any network, especially this one, drunk nor sober.

*Re Dom, his days are numbered. He may have the cooking skills, but his on-camera skills are virtually non-existent. He should've been eliminated with Emilia. Dom's had five weeks to get his shit together where screen presence is concerned and if he can't handle a four-minute demo, then how can he deal with a half-hour or hour-long show? I think that Dom believed he was being eliminated, hence his saying "Au Revoir" before elimination, which makes his being saved again even more disappointing.

*Jay's growing on me. Usually I can take Jay or leave him, but he was great this week. His pizza may have stank in the Mini-Challenge, but he sold it anyway. Jay was also great in the Main Challenge. He not only cooked a great meal, his on-camera presentation was spot-on. He's Finale material, IMO.

*Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. My man killed this week, not once, but twice. His Mini-Challenge pizza may not have been as pretty as he is, but apparently the flavors and his on-camera demo made up for it. Eddie's Main-Challenge demo was on fire! His food, his screen presence and interactions with the audience were all on point. Having Special Guest David Allan Grier as his Hype Man didn't hurt. At this point, I think it's Eddie's to lose.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I think Jay is actually a very good-hearted guy.  I like Eddie and he has "it" on-camera, but he is a bit too much of a charming, ladies' man and that shtick wears out on me very, very quickly.  Just like Damaris being a Southern flirt drove me nuts.  Just cook well and be warm, informative and engaging, people.  Dom is a guys-guy and seems to have a great rapport with the other guys, but my gosh, he is a ZERO on camera.  Cannot believe Michelle is the last woman standing.  Alex seems very sweet but he's in over his head.

The Emilia improv was so cringe-worthy -- I cannot believe she still stands by that decision. 

This season really misses Alton. 

• Love 2
Initially, I didn't mind Dom, but then his comments, body language, and attitude turned me off. I don't think he's the type who can take constructive criticism well either.

I like Dom so much that I can't give up on him yet.  If you watch his eyes, his frustration and embarrassment are great.  I feel that he's beating up on himself and can't relax because of it.  All Dom needs is one good presentation, and I think his fears would subside.  He cooks so well, and he has a delightful manner about him, so I hope that he can conquer his demons.

Emilia had plenty of time to change her mind before her disastrous and rude presentation.  Viewers saw her actually debating whether or not to go over the top.  She made a conscious decision to pillory her fellow contestants, which was extremely ill-advised, and she has nobody to blame but herself.  It's too bad she had to learn the hard way. 

It's hard to believe that we're left with only one woman, and I'm hard pressed to see her as the winner.  She is a little too self-confident and outspoken for me, unfortunately.  Jay seems like a nice, cheerful guy, but I'm still not completely sold on him.  Maybe I will be.  As of now, I see Eddie walking away with the prize, and I wouldn't mind if he did.  He certainly holds my attention.                                      

• Love 1

IMO Eddie has it in the bag.  Aside from being handsome and charming, he has both the sports angle and the food truck angle.  The bosses are looking for a program to make up for last year's fiasco. 

• Love 6
(edited)

More observations:

* Re Michelle, her "Mediterranean Mom" schtick is as tired as her cooking. Her Mini-Challenge performance was a snooze. Her Main Challenge performance was better, but not much. Her "last woman standing" bit just makes me hope that she's not in the Finale.

*Arnold was fabulous. He was spontaneous and funny in both challenges. I can see him in the Finale; otoh, Alex is definitely not Finale material. He's cute and can cook, but his on-camera track record is sporadic, at best. Alex shone in the "Perfect Match" challenge with Eddie, but he stumbled again both times this week. My prediction is that he'll be gone within the next 2 weeks.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
(edited)

I like Eddie but he's almost too-too for me. He could dial it down a notch. Michelle can just completely turn off, as far as I'm concerned. Did she really call herself the Mediterranean Mama? Ugh.

Still lovin' Arnold.

And speaking from the very shallow end, Alex should get a new hairstyle. His features are kind of soft for that hairstyle, a hairstyle I see every third woman of a certain age wearing and wearing better. His deliveries seem okay but his info in said deliveries seems scattered.

Edited by NewDigs
(edited)

*** CORRECTION ***

Contrary to the well-meant posts above, there IS a place to vote for your favorite contestant, plus this year the FN is offering prizes every week.  In past seasons, we voted 10 times a day, but this season we're limited to one vote per day.  The FN doesn't make this contestant page easy to find.  Sometimes, it's been called "Vote," sometimes "Sweepstakes," and last night "Contestants."  If you look around under FN Star, you'll find it (I hope)!  You can also see the standings of each contestant.   Last night, I think Emelia led the pack.  That should change soon.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Yes, I posted the link, and it's merely for the "fan favorite" to win some money, not a show or anything. And the weekly prizes they are giving away to viewers are nice!

It's pinned at the top of the Media thread.

• Love 3

I'm not impressed with Dom.  I don't dislike him, and I suspect his food is as good as Bobby and Giada say, but the guy just doesn't register as good TV to me. I totally understand the comments about Jay seeming like a used-car salesman (and didn't one of the guest judges or tasters say exactly that about him once?).  He seems like the obvious fit for the network, but I wouldn't watch him, myself.

Emilia said that about Jay when she was doing her "stand-up" routine on the episode that got her eliminated.

Emilia said that about Jay when she was doing her "stand-up" routine on the episode that got her eliminated.

She went so far off the rails with that routine that I've convinced myself it was fake. She showed so much crazy there that I can't believe it wouldn't have come out in the audition process if it were, in fact, actual crazy. 

She went so far off the rails with that routine that I've convinced myself it was fake. She showed so much crazy there that I can't believe it wouldn't have come out in the audition process if it were, in fact, actual crazy. 

What was crazy?  Everything she said had a grain of truth in it.  Arnold is a drag queen who undercooked shrimp.  Jay is very rehearsed and Dom has camera/stage fright.

It was very awkward - so much so that it seemed crazy - (to me). 

What was crazy?  Everything she said had a grain of truth in it.  Arnold is a drag queen who undercooked shrimp.  Jay is very rehearsed and Dom has camera/stage fright.

It was very awkward - so much so that it seemed crazy - (to me). 

I agree, it was awkward, but I attributed Emilia's running of the mouth to her having had a little too much to drink, not being technically nutso - They showed her and Michelle taking big swigs from wine bottles as they cooked.  I think it made her a little too uninhibited without the judgment to know when to shut up.  Or as the Romans said, "In Vino Veritas".  Meaning it's like a truth serum.

• Love 1

I agree, it was awkward, but I attributed Emilia's running of the mouth to her having had a little too much to drink, not being technically nutso - They showed her and Michelle taking big swigs from wine bottles as they cooked.  I think it made her a little too uninhibited without the judgment to know when to shut up.  Or as the Romans said, "In Vino Veritas".  Meaning it's like a truth serum.

If few sips of wine is not "too much to drink" IMO, but I guess YMMV.  I thought she was pretty funny because she was right on target with her jokes.

Emilia has a deer in the headlights look that would never entice me to watch a show with her.

That, and once she started taking their advice and started smiling more it seemed she could not contain her smile.

That great big open mouthed, Don't you want to count my teeth?, smile.

If few sips of wine is not "too much to drink" IMO, but I guess YMMV.  I thought she was pretty funny because she was right on target with her jokes.

We don't know how much she drank because we only saw her take a few sips but she could have had a lot more that we didn't see.  The way she acted seemed to me like it could have been influenced by alcohol.  She said something about how she needed to loosen up or something like that.  I personally found nothing funny about her little spiel.  I found her delivery so out of character in a strange way that anything funny about it was lost.  I don't doubt that it was the thing that got her eliminated, or at least the main thing.

• Love 3