Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Really enjoyed the short programs today, I watched like six hours of skating! 
Pairs: Jessica & Brian landed their SBS jumps! I still don’t really love this short program but I’m so glad they skated clean, don’t agree with them being in third. I really like Alexa & Brandon’s short program but their still out of sync a bit and missing that connection with each other. I really liked Audrey & Misha’s short program…very interesting mashup of Toxic and Survivor covers. 

Ladies: Audrey was my favorite, Alysa was fine and deservedly in first. Amber has a great program, she was hesitant on that triple axel and it was under. Mariah’s program I think is a miss and I wonder if she’ll get feedback to ditch it. She was really committed, I’ll give her that but Last Gaga in an Olympic year is just really risky. Gracie has a great program if she can manage to pull it together, yet another rough outing. 

Dance: meh, no one really moved me, lots of level one pattern steps. I already hate all the hip hop. 

Men: Vincent was fantastic. Everyone else was a mess. 

• Love 2

Well, it looks like Vincent and Alysa are the clear front runners to go to Nelbelhorn to confirm spots. Mariah really had a rough go and Amber withdrew after the short. 

I definitely recommend watching Green & Parsons’s new free dance from this weekend. Very well done, says they took a lot of inspiration from Martha Graham. 

Cain-Gribble/Leduc had to withdraw because she got COVID (she’s better now) but their new short program is up on On Ice Perspectives’s YouTube channel. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

If anyone finds any of these performances on youtube, please link them!

Here's what I was able to find. Hopefully they'll stay up, I've noticed some of the videos from the Cranberry Cup have been disappearing/reappearing.

Alysa Liu - Cranberry Cup 2021 FS

Vincent Zhou FS - 2021 Cranberry Cup International

Ashley Cain-Gribble & Timothy LeDuc - 2021-22 Senior Short Program

Caroline Green / Michael Parsons FD

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

IDK, I thought Russian Junior skates last season were very noteworthy... pretty much showing the only ones who are going to be winning medals internationally anyway (deserved or not). But I do quite like Sofia Akatieva.

Personally, most excited to see how Mao Shimada and An Xiangyi do. IDK if they're on the circuit this season, but I like them a lot

• Love 1

Piper posted the annual teaser image for their free program.

It's a long and winding road leading to a door, so one could say there's an obvious interpretation.

Day 1 of the JGP is through, and the North American singles skaters kind of bowled over everybody else (though in the ladies that's just because one of the two Koreans imploded and the other had an imperfect skate).

• Love 1

Lim & Quan have been cult favourites on the Canadian junior domestic scene the previous two seasons because of their quirky music choices, but they opted to represent Korea going forward to get out internationally, and went with the obvious RD choice to embrace their new federation:

And Kaiya Ruiter unexpectedly wins Canada's first women's JGP medal in 8 years.

This program was clearly selected with China on the brain (though China doesn't actually like the Disney version of Mulan).

10 hours ago, SeanC said:

This program was clearly selected with China on the brain (though China doesn't actually like the Disney version of Mulan).

I don't see the logic at all, if she's only doing the JGP this season.

5 hours ago, displayname said:

I don't see the logic at all, if she's only doing the JGP this season.

Kaiya is doing a split season.  As one of the only two Canadian women with a consistent 3-3, she is absolutely in the running for the Olympic team, even if I would say Madeline is the favourite at the moment.

• Love 1

I watched the programs of the Courchevel gold medalist for the ladies.  Her name is Lindsay Thorngren.  I thought she had a striking presence on the ice--she doesn't have a lot of expression or reaching out to the audience, but she has very nice jumps with impressive knee bend and soft landings.  She didn't try a triple axel or quad.  I'm not wild about her programs, but I'm going to be watching to see how she does throughout the season.

I've liked what I've seen of Alysa so far. 

Edited by Tippi
Grammar edit
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

How high do they have to finish to secure another US spot?

It's complicated. The short answer is in the top 6 for ladies and the top 7 for men. But that is among the countries looking to qualify. So skaters from countries which have already qualified their maximum number of skaters don't count. For example, Vincent Zhou ends up 8th. But the 4th place skater is from Japan, which already has 3 spots. Vincent moves up to 7th among qualifiers and the USA gets a third spot. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It's complicated. The short answer is in the top 6 for ladies and the top 7 for men. But that is among the countries looking to qualify. So skaters from countries which have already qualified their maximum number of skaters don't count. For example, Vincent Zhou ends up 8th. But the 4th place skater is from Japan, which already has 3 spots. Vincent moves up to 7th among qualifiers and the USA gets a third spot. 

Thank you!!  Explained with your usual clarity, Good Queen Jane!

I feel like Vincent should be able to get top 7, but he should have been able to make the free skate at Worlds last year and look how that turned out. I like Vincent, and I want him to go to the Olympics again. Who knows how Grand Prix season will play out, but as of right now I don’t think he’ll make the Olympics if it’s only a two man team. He better bring it at Nebelhorn.

• Love 2

So, just to be clear, those of us in the US without Peacock have to wait for the 2 hr “highlights reel” after each event finishes to be able to watch any skating on tv? (AKA, the Johnny and Tara Extravaganza 😒)

Thanks, NBC 🤬

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

So, just to be clear, those of us in the US without Peacock have to wait for the 2 hr “highlights reel” after each event finishes to be able to watch any skating on tv? (AKA, the Johnny and Tara Extravaganza 😒)

Thanks, NBC 🤬

This is not good... not good at all. I loathe those two twits. Now I'm going to have to pay to get live skating 😠

• Love 2

Thanks for the info, Good Queen Jane. I'm totally pissed at NBC and not in a position to add yet another streaming service, but I really appreciate your help. 🙂 Being able to watch without any (inane) commentary and actually see all the skaters would be amazing!

I’ll also put in a good word for Peacock. You can subscribe for just two months ($10 total, $4.99 x 2) and watch every Grand Prix plus the finals. I subscribed for maybe four months last season and watched everything plus nationals and worlds, well worth it. 

• Useful 2

Did anyone watch the Russian test skates?

Trusova still doesn't have the artistry (and clearly has no plans on developing and improving in that area) but she definitely brought the jumps. This wasn't a case of her falling on every other attempt either. She really was hitting them. The quad sal was a little wonky but the other quads were strong. I was both surprised and impressed. She even made the evil snow queen Eteri smile.

Kamila was shaky. Definitely not a given that she's the one to beat for Olympic gold. I'm kind of disappointed that she's sticking with Bolero for this season. She still has the best spins of the bunch.

Anna was solid but she's still leaving the quad/s out for now. I don't love her long music this season. I've liked her past three long programs though so maybe this one will grow on me. Her lutz loop combo is still amazing. 

Maiia had several issues but she might be the strongest of the dark horse candidates. 

I'm always rooting for Elizaveta, but her performance was very disappointing. Hopefully this was a chance for her to get the nerves out. She isn't really polished and there are some issues with her technique but I still find her skating to be very engaging and I like how much fun she has with her programs. Fingers crossed that she'll nail those triple axels when it counts.

Aliona still isn't at her best but she landed the triple axel so she's getting there. Another one who held onto last season's long program. In her case though, I'm okay with it because it really suits her.

10 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Right or wrong I can never get jazzed about most of the Russian skaters. Elizaveta and Alena, maybe. Anna S bores me to tears, and Trusova is the one I like the least. Her jump drills hold absolutely no interest for me.

When it comes to the ladies I do find the Russians to be the most interesting. I think I'm looking forward to Russian nationals more than any other competition save the Olympics. (This is only when it comes to the ladies though.) These gals know how to bring the excitement

Dance OTOH I think probably has the best representation as far as the major countries each having amazing teams, so I find the international events to be exciting enough where I want to see the entire roster perform. I feel almost the same way about the men. Pairs and ladies not so much.

Regarding Elizaveta, as much as I enjoy her skating, I have to admit that Kamila's triple axel is in a completely different league than Elizaveta's (or anyone's if we're being really honest). The speed and flow going into and coming out of it is a thing of beauty. The effortless Rippon arms--it's just ridiculously next level good. I never would have thought back in the Midori/Tonya triple axel days that we'd see a skater complete a triple axel that looks like this.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2021 at 8:14 AM, Avaleigh said:

Right or wrong I can never get jazzed about most of the Russian skaters

For the women, while I bow to their technical prowess,  I don't *feel* any emotion from their skating.

Also, what is the theme for the rhythm dance this season?  I caught Hubbel/Donahue's program yesterday and it was. awful.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

For the women, while I bow to their technical prowess,  I don't *feel* any emotion from their skating.

Also, what is the theme for the rhythm dance this season?  I caught Hubbel/Donahue's program yesterday and it was. awful.  

You put this so much better than me. This. I feel NOTHING. Just that I’m watching another Eteri assembly line skating-bot.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I had a chance to watch their FD live, and zzzzzzzzz. Same shit, different year. 🙄

I didn’t hate the free dance as much as some of their programs, and it’s way better than that rhythm dance. At least they weren’t trying to be sexy in the free dance. Did some of the rules about ice dance lifts change? They had two different lifts where his arms were extended over his head. It also looks like they do the same stationary lift in the rhythm dance and free dance. I know teams reuse lifts from past seasons, but I’ve never noticed the same lifts in both programs in the same year.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, peachmangosteen said:

How is *NSYNC hip hop or blues lol? They must have been real lax with that theme.

Midnight Blue is the pattern, thr music choices are "street dance rhythms". They chose at least two different rhythms from hip hop, jazz, reggae, reggaeton, blues, funk, swing, krump, popping, or disco.

• Useful 1