Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

From the Autumn Classic last weekend, Gilles & Poirier debuted their new programs (winning the dance event by a wide margin, as you'd assume).  They brought back Govardo, the band that did the cover of "Vincent" they used three years ago, to do their new Beatles program.  While they haven't said this is their last season explicitly, "The Long and Winding Road" certainly sets a tone.

One or two of the lift elements I feel could use refining for maximum effect, but I like this as the blueprint for an Olympic program.

Elsewhere, the women's event had what will be hard to top as my favourite outcome of the season, a gold medal for the unknown Cypriot skater Marilena Kitromilis, whose Shin Amano-approved jump rotations put her ahead of (among others) Young You, Karen Chen, and Starr Andrews.

• Love 3

Nebelhorn Men's results: All five countries seeking to qualify an additional skater for the Olympics made it, although Canada had a nail biter, with Sadovsky coming in 8th overall. Fortunately, the 4th place skater was from Italy, which wasn't trying to qualify an additional skater. The countries which qualified their only skater were Australia and  Azerbaijan. Vincent Zhou hit four quads although two were shaky. 

Ladies finals are tomorrow.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Nebelhorn Men's results: All five countries seeking to qualify an additional skater for the Olympics made it, although Canada had a nail biter, with Sadovsky coming in 8th overall. Fortunately, the 4th place skater was from Italy, which wasn't trying to qualify an additional skater. The countries which qualified their only skater were Australia and  Azerbaijan. Vincent Zhou hit four quads although two were shaky. 

Ladies finals are tomorrow.

I’m so relieved for Vincent! Some redemption for last year’s Worlds.

• Love 4

Women's qualifiers:

1. USA #3
  2. Poland (RUS #4)
  3. Belarus (RUS #5)
  4. Switzerland (USA #4)
  5. Ukraine (RUS #6)
  6. Australia

The Italian skater, Lara Naki Gutmann, is sitting in the unofficial seventh qualification spot for when Sweden returns the berth that its skater qualified at Worlds (and effectively qualified again by finishing in the top six here).

Ice dance qualifiers:

1. Finland
  2. Armenia (CAN #4)
  3. Georgia (RUS #4)
  4. Czech Republic

The Finnish ice dance woman, Juulia Turkkila, was previously a singles skater who placed fourteenth as Finland's entry at the 2013 Nebelhorn Olympic qualifier -- so things have worked out way better for her the second time around, and that's after getting a neck injury mid-quadrennial.

Edited by SeanC
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, healthnut said:

Papadakis & Cizeron’s new programs

I watched both and had to very soon mute both. To me, their music choices are pretty bad, to the point of being distracting. But their skating skills are superb. I especially loved watching their twizzles. 

On 10/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, healthnut said:
On 10/8/2021 at 8:36 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

So now we have an explanation as to why Tarah Kayne stopped skating.

Actually she is still skating. She partnered with her boyfriend Balasz Nagy but he’s been injured for some time. 

You're right. I should have said stopped skating competitively. The article did say she was going to do a tour in Europe.

Delilah has been a dominant force in American Pairs skating for many years, but her skaters never did well internationally. 

Edited by Good Queen Jane
45 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Delilah has been a dominant force in American Pairs skating for many years, but her skaters never did well internationally. 

Todd & Jeni seem to be where it’s at right now. I really hope Alexa & Brandon can have some success this season. 

• Love 2

Secret baby blogger must be devastated:

Three-time Olympic ice dancing champion Scott Moir said that he had a daughter, Sports.ru correspondent Maya Bagryantseva reports.

In an interview, Moir said that the baby was born 7 months ago. According to him, he dreams that Tessa Virtue , with whom he skated in a duet from 1997 to 2018, would become a role model for his daughter .

In 2019, Moir announced his engagement to his first ice dancing partner, Jackie Mascarin, but the wedding was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Secret baby blogger must be devastated:

He said his daughter was born 7 months ago! He does have experience hiding all those babies he had with Tessa.

• LOL 6
On 10/9/2021 at 12:25 PM, peachmangosteen said:

The Netflix docuseries Bad Sport did an episode on the 2002 pairs scandal.

Fantastic documentary! Very frustrating to see Tamara and Elena refuse to acknowledge the corruption and how the judging process was compromised. It was sweet to see Jamie and David again though. They need to tackle the Ladies Singles event in Sochi next.

• Love 5

Chock and Bates finished second to P/C at Finlandia. Love her new costume. I hope it's enough to medal ahead of the Entitlement Twins. 

My hope is that at the Olympics, they choose both C/B and H/D for the Team competition. It's too much to hope that C/B would be chosen for both the Original Dance and Free Dance. Madison Hubble's head would certainly explode and she and Douche Boy would probably once again not show up to support their teammates. C/B were there in 2018, waving flags and supporting the others. They deserve a shot for a team medal as much as H/D do. Maybe more. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Chock and Bates finished second to P/C at Finlandia. Love her new costume. I hope it's enough to medal ahead of the Entitlement Twins. 

My hope is that at the Olympics, they choose both C/B and H/D for the Team competition. It's too much to hope that C/B would be chosen for both the Original Dance and Free Dance. Madison Hubble's head would certainly explode and she and Douche Boy would probably once again not show up to support their teammates. C/B were there in 2018, waving flags and supporting the others. They deserve a shot for a team medal as much as H/D do. Maybe more. 

Thanks for the link! Chock/Bates are back in shape this season, just in time for the O's. Yup, I remember C/B at the team competition, supporting their teammates (while the Entitlement Twins were off at a practice rink). 🤞 that C/B are on the team.

3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The federation tends to split the single events but it will depend on who makes that team and the ranking.

54 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

The federation tends to split the single events but it will depend on who makes that team and the ranking.

I have no idea how accurate TSL is, but they said USFS asks whoever is highest ranked what they want to do, and adjusts accordingly. Davis and White in 2014 and then the Shibutanis in 2018 wanted to skate both programs. The Shibs weren’t national Champions, but were higher in the Grand Prix and higher at Worlds the year before. So Nathan will probably get asked first if he wants to do 1 or 2 programs, then whichever dance team is higher, and then ladies and pairs will get decided based on what spots are left.

• Useful 3
On 10/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, Jeddah said:

US pairs skater Calalang cleared of drug violation

This is so bizarre. I’m glad she was cleared. How many athletes have gotten away with real performance enhancing drugs, and she gets in trouble for makeup? There was so much speculation about what happened. I don’t think anyone guessed it was a drug violation due to makeup!

No wonder we couldn't figure out why it seemed that they just dropped off the planet. This was kept so quiet. She & her partner are mentally strong people. I'd be so furious I'd probably explode. What kind of makeup was she wearing that didn't cause issues for other female skaters?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Evan Bates called out China for human rights violations. 

Yeah, well he's not competing...not hoping to make the Olympic team. Yes, it's a *major* problem and they shouldn't have been given the O's, but they got them so here we are.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yeah, well he's not competing...not hoping to make the Olympic team. 

Unless there’s been some major recent development, they are competing these season, so surely they’re hoping the make the team.  

Is it possible you were thinking momentarily of Lysacek or someone else?

1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Unless there’s been some major recent development, they are competing these season, so surely they’re hoping the make the team.  

Is it possible you were thinking momentarily of Lysacek or someone else?

Yikes--yes!!! I thought that was weird of Lysacek to be making such a pronouncement (+ he's sort of disappeared). Thanks for the correction 😏

• Love 1
On 10/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Fantastic documentary! Very frustrating to see Tamara and Elena refuse to acknowledge the corruption and how the judging process was compromised. It was sweet to see Jamie and David again though. They need to tackle the Ladies Singles event in Sochi next.

The Canadian judge mentioned three mistakes by the Russians. The bobble on the side by side jumps I got (Tamara saying that wasn’t a mistake but a small detail made me raise an eyebrow) but I don’t see the other ones. The replays looked fine. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

The Canadian judge mentioned three mistakes by the Russians. The bobble on the side by side jumps I got (Tamara saying that wasn’t a mistake but a small detail made me raise an eyebrow) but I don’t see the other ones. The replays looked fine. 

Did they mention Sale and Pelletier both fell at the end of their short program? Everyone always acts like that didn’t happen.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Did they mention Sale and Pelletier both fell at the end of their short program? Everyone always acts like that didn’t happen.

I'd totally forgotten about that. Now that I remember it, I think it was their final, still pose.

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

This. They really should’ve been in fourth after short, therefore winning the free skate would’ve still put them in second. But I’ll admit, twenty years later I still can’t be objective. I loved B&S and I just hated that Love Story program from S&P. 

• Love 3

It's odd. I loathed the Love Story music (& the book). But this LP, with the unique costumes, & beautiful choreography, really told the story. And I stopped disliking the music. I've always wondered how the judging would've gone if the fix wasn't arranged between the French & the Russians. 

5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I already irrationally didn't like her so now I feel better about that lol.

I like to think my reasons for disliking her are rational! But, yeah, I really feel justified in disliking her now.

• Love 2