Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I’m always so intrigued by why people keep going in this sport. He has 3 Olympic medals, including a gold. He was World Champion twice. He’s 36 years old. What are his goals here?

Honestly, I was hoping Vanessa’s career was over. There’s no way she didn’t know about what Morgan did.

We need to bring back the tours, shows, pro comps. Stars on Ice for pros and Champions on Ice for pros/ athletes still competing.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

There really is no guarantee that they will get an Olympic spot. He IS 36 years old. It will be interesting to see if their scores at Canadian Nationals seem inflated to boost them, or are deserving. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian Fed bent over backwards to get them on the Olympic team. 

I remember watching John Baldwin the last couple years that he competed and thinking, "He looks too old for this," and feeling slightly creeped out. 

John Baldwin always creeped me out for some reason. He acted like Rena was his hostage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, HartofDixie said:

I don’t know if Meagan wanted to do shows/tour next year with Eric and that is no longer an option. 

Another reason is that they will most likely get the 2nd pair spot over Evelyn/Trent.

Kirsten Moore Towers has also been liking tweets supporting them and tweets bashing Vanessa/Eric. 

So, when Virtue/Moir returned after four years away from competitive skating, did Gilles/Poirer pitch a hissy fit?  As a fan of G/P, I wondered how they felt but never read much about their reaction.

• Love 2

All the drama aside, I’m very interested to see what they look like as a pair. I understand Vanessa had to know something about the cover up but she didn’t send the pic so I did hate for her career to end on that note. 
It sucks for Meaghan but verbal agreements are not contracts. 
Meanwhile, the Russians must be most angry right now because for once this season, no one is talking about them 😜

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

image.thumb.png.f5dcd6ebd96a3314a98c7036c8da1055.png

And with those two tweets, even the Russians are going, "ohhhhh daaaaamn!" about the drama. 

And it looks like the skating world is clearly taking sides. Madison Chock "liked" a post congratulating Vanessa, while Alexa Knerim, Anthony Ponomarenko, and of course KMT, liked Meaghan's posts. 

• Love 6

Social media is a mistake, that's all I'm saying. They're entitled to have their emotions, but they need to take the drama offline, for their own sakes. They'll all get over it quicker, and they'll frustrate the know-it-all trolls who think they know every detail of what everyone must have known, thought and done.

Have some dignity, children.😒

• Love 9
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

Meanwhile, the Russians must be most angry right now because for once this season, no one is talking about them 😜

Tarasova/Morozov are looking like they'll be switching to Eteri, making her have a hand in all four disciplines if you count her daughter who's a junior Ice Dancer (yeah, I know this one isn't quite the same).

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, when Virtue/Moir returned after four years away from competitive skating, did Gilles/Poirer pitch a hissy fit?  As a fan of G/P, I wondered how they felt but never read much about their reaction.

I don't know if they had any different reaction privately, but publicly they didn't have anything negative to say:

"I think, on the one hand, obviously it really changes the landscape of what the Canadian competitive arena looks like, but on the other hand, it's really actually exciting because it gives us as a country another opportunity to really be placing well on the world stage," Poirier said.

"Tessa and Scott have a great energy about them too. They're huge crowd pleasers, the crowd loves them, but so are we," Gilles said. "The crowd was really happy and very happy for them, but we had to still do our job, but we kind of fed off that energy."

"And we find we perform better the tougher the competition because we know we have to step up," Poirier added.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Virtue/Moir returning affected Weaver/Poje.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, carrier76 said:

John Baldwin always creeped me out for some reason. He acted like Rena was his hostage.

He always creeped me out too. Glad it wasn't just me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Piper & Paul are doing Elton John for the RD next season, apparently, which should be fun.

I love it when these two use music like this.  It always makes me feel like jumping onto the ice and dancing with them.  I think they used SNL music a few seasons ago.

4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I never would have expected Meagan Duhamel to be the source of so much figure skating drama.

Really? I've always considered her a teenager, in a child's body.  Her histrionics annoy me, and her technique made me give up watching pairs because I couldn't accept that they were the best in the world. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Quof said:

Really? I've always considered her a teenager, in a child's body.  Her histrionics annoy me, and her technique made me give up watching pairs because I couldn't accept that they were the best in the world. 

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Nothing about her loudly braying how much she's the victim in all this surprises me in the least.

And The Skating Lesson blaming Radford for Papadakis and Cizeron contracting COVID?  Have a thousand seats, you toddlers.

• Love 6

I appreciate Duhamel more for her comments on the COVID non-rules at Worlds, and the skating of certain somebodies this season. I'll take her over someone like Wagner in general.

I don't think she's in the wrong here. I think both she and Radford have their own clear side that one can choose to support, or think they're on about equal sides and not care too much about the "drama". It's actually surprisingly nice to not have any drama after a season full of Russian bullshit.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Meagan back on TSL

I’m definitely more on Meaghan’s side, but nobody is coming out of this looking good. What a mess. Nobody is handling  this well. 

I did laugh really hard at Dave and Jonathan’s faces when she said, “Bruno’s gone to buy grass” before they realized she meant actual grass for their yard. That was a needed moment of levity in the middle of all this skating drama.

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 4/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, healthnut said:

Apparently Shoma Uno is using Bolero for his free skate, just doesn’t seem like a good fit to me. 

For me, Bolero is forever associated with Torvill and Dean and their iconic gold medal Olympic performance.  They set such a high bar for that piece with their choreography and timing that it would seem a burden for other skaters to follow.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

For me, Bolero is forever associated with Torvill and Dean and their iconic gold medal Olympic performance.  They set such a high bar for that piece with their choreography and timing that it would seem a burden for other skaters to follow.

Those of us who are old enough to have watched the 1984 Olympics live on tv, and to have seen T & D perform Bolero in person on tour, agree.  Leave it alone, youngsters, there is lots of other music out there. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, healthnut said:

So according to the Flutzes and Waxels podcast, Trusova has left Plushenko and is back with Eteri. As the world turns... 

The Russians couldn’t let the Canadians overshadow them when it comes to drama!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Yet on Dancing on Ice, the celebrity/pro couples who make it to the final traditionally have to do exactly that as part of the competition: recreate Torvill and Dean's iconic Bolero while putting their own unique take on it while still using the same basic famous choreography. And Torvill and Dean are two of the judges on the panel!

• Useful 2
(edited)

Aljona Savchenko's officially retired from competitive skating. Not a surprise since she and Bruno both have young kids now. 

Bruno is moving back to France to coach.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1
On 5/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, nittany cougar said:

I saw it in the early 2000s and have to admit, I was underwhelmed. I recognize what it meant for the time and that the ice dance that I enjoyed in the 2000s wouldn't have been possible without them, it was just so very different from what I was used to (especially as an avid Anissina/Peizerat fan at the time).

I also find the Bolero a very hard piece to choreograph to in general. I adore it as a piece of music, as a piece to choreograph to it's a tough nut.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I saw it in the early 2000s and have to admit, I was underwhelmed. I recognize what it meant for the time and that the ice dance that I enjoyed in the 2000s wouldn't have been possible without them, it was just so very different from what I was used to (especially as an avid Anissina/Peizerat fan at the time).

I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and felt the same way.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I also find the Bolero a very hard piece to choreograph to in general. I adore it as a piece of music, as a piece to choreograph to it's a tough nut.

In 1984 I certainly realized that T/D were the real deal in gold medalists, thanks to that program. But there was something about him that creeped me out and I think it was him frequently grabbing Jane by the back of her neck & maneuvering her on the ice. Every time he did that (and he did it in just about every program I remember seeing), I cringed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Stars on Ice Canada is doing a fall tour, the casting including Meagan now skating with Dylan Moscovitch.

Alissa Czisny is there as the token foreigner (for now, there will be more cost announcements).

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Alissa Czisny is there as the token foreigner

Since she lives in Canada and doesn't have to deal with border restrictions.

• Useful 1

Aww, I like Alissa. Glad to hear that she's still skating (and making some money doing it.) She was one of my favorites who never quite delivered. She was the only other skater that I thought was as good as Sasha Cohen in terms of the beauty of her skating. Obviously they both had issues with competing and never being clean, but the balletic quality to their skating is something that I haven't really seen since. 

This isn't to say that there haven't been beautiful artists on the ice before, during or since those two skaters but if someone were to ask me which ladies I thought were the most artistic, those are the two names that immediately come to mind. Michelle, Zhenya, Karen, Yuna, and later career Mao are others who would probably round out my list. 

• Love 7