Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It's live on USA Friday afternoon. The NBC broadcast on Saturday will be a taped replay. The entire competition will be over by then. 

Good to know. They need to update my online cable line up so that I can hit record. 

Currently watching ladies short live on Peacock. The upper flights are starting now. Mariah is in this group. Ryabova doing her Mambo Italiano. I don't know why I like this routine so much. 

Lots of personal bests so far. Could it be that the skaters are more relaxed and confident because the result is not predetermined? And the Wicked Witch of Sambo is not there burning holes in the back of their heads with her death glare?

LMAO. Mariah is sitting by herself, but has Adam Rippon on Facetime in the Kiss and Cry.

Spoiler

She was sublime. Beautiful. Personal best score. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So happy for the skaters,feeling like everyone has a chance (whether realistic or not). And especially that the wicked witch of the east is not standing rinkside, glaring. Did the skater from Ukraine show up?

I thought that I saw her during warm ups. Hasn't skated yet. No, wrong. I just checked the ISU results page, No Ladies skater from UKR listed. 

Spoiler

Two US skaters make the final flight? Yessssss.

Edited by ChicksDigScars

Zoe Jones amazes me. Forty-one and still skating pairs (with 30-year-old Christopher Boyadji)—doing only double twists, but they're out there. And now they're in second place (though not for long).

• Love 1

Well, well, well. Isn't that a nice surprise! Has this EVER happened for U.S. pairs? Yeah, yeah, we know who are missing. Tough tits. It still counts!

Let's hope that the pressure doesn't get to them. We've all seen it happen, especially to U.S. pairs, for some strange reason. And with only 14 pairs in the field, everyone qualifies for the long program. 

I wonder if Heavy Young Heathens are filing another lawsuit? Pffft.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 12

How exciting for the American pairs teams! I hope that the top three teams hold it together for the long. I'm ridiculously excited about this so I can only imagine how they all feel. A year ago, who would have predicted this? So awesome, I can't wait for the long program. 

• Love 5

Wow, I was so excited to talk about the pairs that I forgot about the ladies. I'll be happy if the standings for the short and long stay the same. Kaori in first, Loena second and Mariah third. That being said if Alysa or You Young sneak in there I'd be happy with that too.

Really bummed about Karen. I get not wanting to change a program so late in the season but that loop has been totally unreliable for her. At this point just go for something you can cleanly land.

The other bummers for me were Ekaterina Kurakova and Olga Mikutina. Kurakova in particular is one of my favorite current skaters in terms of her artistry so I was hoping that she'd get a chance to shine here.

Never understood why fans of figure skating aren't excited to watch worlds during an Olympic year. There's always excitement and there are always surprises. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Wow, I was so excited to talk about the pairs that I forgot about the ladies. I'll be happy if the standings for the short and long stay the same. Kaori in first, Loena second and Mariah third. That being said if Alysa or You Young sneak in there I'd be happy with that too.

Really bummed about Karen. I get not wanting to change a program so late in the season but that loop has been totally unreliable for her. At this point just go for something you can cleanly land.

The other bummers for me were Ekaterina Kurakova and Olga Mikutina. Kurakova in particular is one of my favorite current skaters in terms of her artistry so I was hoping that she'd get a chance to shine here.

Never understood why fans of figure skating aren't excited to watch worlds during an Olympic year. There's always excitement and there are always surprises. 

I caught up to after Alysa’s skate - it seemed she had a clean program - what happened with the scoring? Obviously she is not at Kaori’s level but I was surprised she didn’t score better. 

• Love 1

Pairs team from Ukraine has withdrawn. I guess that they wanted to give it a go, despite not being able to practice much, and after their short program, decided that the lack of ice time was not going to cut it. Sad. 

image.png.24332c3ca29103bca6013e21e5e20ee6.png

And THIS? WTF?!

image.thumb.png.736d445f3c0c57b2053ddcdb3e74f31b.png

These refer to the announcers on the  ISU You Tube channel. They also misgendered Timothy LeDuc repeatedly, and made an inappropriate comment about Zoe Jones' and Ashley Cain Gribble's physiques.

I was corrected on Twitter. The Peacock announcers were the same guys? I didn't catch these, but I was working and watching at the same time. So, I was concentrating on other things at times. I also didn't watch the first flights of both the pairs and ladies, so I missed the inappropriate shit. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Pairs team from Ukraine has withdrawn. I guess that they wanted to give it a go, despite not being able to practice much, and after their short program, decided that the lack of ice time was not going to cut it. Sad. 

image.png.24332c3ca29103bca6013e21e5e20ee6.png

And THIS? WTF?!

image.thumb.png.736d445f3c0c57b2053ddcdb3e74f31b.png

These refer to the announcers on the  ISU You Tube channel. They also misgendered Timothy LeDuc repeatedly, and made an inappropriate comment about Zoe Jones' physique.

The Peacock announcers were not like this at all. Quite nice and knowledgeable, actually. 

I was pleasantly surprised that Peacock had announcers first since they were notably absent during the Olympics, but even happier that I enjoyed them.  

So looking up the ISU channel (ugh, there's still no video of the full feed of the SP, just a few individual programs), I was confused about the term "small medals" but a little research helped me figure it out. They're now handing out medals for the top three in the SP and the free skate? This is a new thing, yes?

That means Mariah is a Worlds medalist! And so are Alexa/Brandon and Ashley/Timothy!!!!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

So looking up the ISU channel (ugh, there's still no video of the full feed of the SP, just a few individual programs), I was confused about the term "small medals" but a little research helped me figure it out. They're now handing out medals for the top three in the SP and the free skate? This is a new thing, yes?

That means Mariah is a Worlds medalist! And so are Alexa/Brandon and Ashley/Timothy!!!!

I think they’ve always done that at Worlds. It’s sort of like the pewter medal at Nationals, where people don’t think those really count.

But placing top three in the SP at Worlds is a big deal, so I’m glad they get something!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I thought that I saw her during warm ups. Hasn't skated yet. No, wrong. I just checked the ISU results page, No Ladies skater from UKR listed.

Shabatova was released/expelled from the National team. She apparently liked one of Plushenko's posts supporting Putin/Russia (I think she's one of the Russian skaters competing for other countries). This is from the Ukrainian federation website (google translate to English): https://ufsf.com.ua/анастасію-шаботову-виключено-зі-скла/

6 minutes ago, redpencil said:

Shabatova was released/expelled from the National team. She apparently liked one of Plushenko's posts supporting Putin/Russia (I think she's one of the Russian skaters competing for other countries). This is from the Ukrainian federation website (google translate to English): https://ufsf.com.ua/анастасію-шаботову-виключено-зі-скла/

Wow. That’s really awful. I know she’s very young, but come on.

• Love 5

Peacock is not showing the replay of pairs. I don’t know if it is because of the music lawsuit or because of the announcers’ inappropriate comments or another reason altogether. I’m disappointed because I wanted to watch the last flight again. 

My understanding is they aren’t showing any replays. You can watch the ISU stream with a VPN, set it to China or download and use Opera browser. The SkatingISU channel has the entire event. You can livestream or go back and watch anytime. And you can watch Olympic replays on the Olympic channel, too. 

• Love 1

Peacock does have a replay of Ladies SP. Pairs just says "Available Soon."

Donovan Carrillo, the skater from Mexico, had to withdraw from Worlds. The airlines lost his luggage which contained his skates. He tried to use other skates, but couldn't get comfortable with them. What a shame!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 1

The announcers are back for the Men's short, but I have my laptop turned way down since I'm working in the office today. LOL. I assume they're the same guys. No, I just turned it up slightly and no British accents. Different feed?

Camden and Ilia just skated. Twelve skaters to go, but I think Ilia's scores, especially, will hold up well. 

Oh Vincent! Tears on the ice, but not for the same reason as last year.

Spoiler

Vincent's TES scores were higher than Ilia in the box on screen, but looking at the scores on the ISU results, they're lower than Ilia and he is in 2nd to Ilia right now. Must have gotten the dreaded downgrade that always seems to haunt him. Nine skaters to go. Ilia in first, scoring 100, Vincent in 2nd, scoring 95.

Not anymore. Tomono just hit 101.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

It feels like we're in the Twilight Zone, having 2 US pairs in the top 3, and zero US men in the top 3 going into the LP. Hopefully Ilia can work on his artistry over the next few years, since he has very competitive tech scores. His component score really sank him against the Japanese skaters. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

It feels like we're in the Twilight Zone, having 2 US pairs in the top 3, and zero US men in the top 3 going into the LP. Hopefully Ilia can work on his artistry over the next few years, since he has very competitive tech scores. His component score really sank him against the Japanese skaters. 

At least we have the two in the final flight of skaters. Was Vincent downgraded? It looks like it from my untrained eye. 

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The announcers are back for the Men's short, but I have my laptop turned way down since I'm working in the office today. LOL. I assume they're the same guys. No, I just turned it up slightly and no British accents. Different feed?

They went with Ted Barton today and presumably for the rest of the event. He’s been a staple in the past but since he’s so connected to Russia since he does their world commentary, I think they were trying to avoid any controversy. That worked out great…

2 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Was Vincent downgraded? It looks like it from my untrained eye. 

I thought they were harsh on him, his Lutz got a q and his salchow was called under. Cost him about 10 points. 

• Love 2

I can't believe they're not showing the US pairs teams' short programs. And I thought they would also show Ukraine's short program.

eta: They just spent 17 minutes yakking; they could have shown the damn programs!

eta 2: They did at least show Ukraine, but not the US. The US is in first & second - how can they not show their short programs?

Edited by gatopretoNYC
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Donovan Carrillo, the skater from Mexico, had to withdraw from Worlds. The airlines lost his luggage which contained his skates. He tried to use other skates, but couldn't get comfortable with them. What a shame!

Poor guy, he was great at the Olympics. What an awful reason to have to withdraw. 

Eyes on next season...

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Ashley Cain-Gribble had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher. 

They showed a close up on her face, and she was seeing stars. Definitely concussed. Damn. 

Alexa and Brandon getting extra warm-up time. I hope this didn't freak them out. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

What does this do to the number of placements the US will get next year, especially now that WE HAVE A WORLD CHAMPION PAIR TEAM. Holy crap. Alexa and Brandon went clean. WOW!!

Brandon is in total shock in the Kiss and Cry. It's cute. 

Is this the first U.S. Pairs WC since Tai and Randy in '79?

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Oh no! I was wondering what happened! I’m tracking via the score page and was confused by why they withdrew mid performance. 

She fell in their first side by side jumps, then fell in the throw. Then she fell in the next side by side jumps, and didn't get up. Timothy came over and she sat up with him, and then they brought the stretcher out. 😥

I only got to see Alexa and Brandon’s performance—so happy for them. Brandon seemed like he couldn’t compute what was happening after their score was posted. 

I only know what happened with Ashley and Tim because of seeing the score page update and coming over here. I feel awful for both of them. I hope shed’s okay.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a combination of tremendously excited for and proud of Alexa and Brandon and so worried about poor Ashley...I hope they update us on her status soon.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
  • Love 9

22 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

What does this do to the number of placements the US will get next year, especially now that WE HAVE A WORLD CHAMPION PAIR TEAM. Holy crap. Alexa and Brandon went clean. WOW!!

Oh yeah...43 years!! Break out the champagne 🎉. I can't believe such a new team did this even, though they were US pairs champs before partnering. I hope Ashley is ok...she looked as though she was dizzy when she sat up 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yes. We haven't even been on the podium since 2002.

• Love 1

Are these announcers saying that it's been 79 years since the US won a pair title? This is the second time that I thought I heard it. Noooo. It's been SINCE 1979. I mean, I remember 1979, and I'm sure not 79 years old, for chrissakes. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Are these announcers saying that it's been 79 years since the US won a pair title? This is the second time that I thought I heard it. Noooo. It's been SINCE 1979. I mean, I remember 1979, and I'm sure not 79 years old, for chrissakes. 

The interviewer on Peacock definitely was saying that. She must have read her notes incorrectly. It’s definitely been 43. I was a big fan of Tai and Randy’s and am so happy for Alexa and Brandon. Looks like Tai is too.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh yeah...45 years!! Break out the champagne 🎉. I can't believe such a new team did this even, though they were US pairs champs before partnering. I hope Ashley is ok...she looked as though she was dizzy when she sat up 

I read her lips. She said, "Help me." 😭

I hope Ashley is okay. I hate to see that. I feel so bad for them. Concussions are no joke.

I am thrilled an American team won! K/F aren’t my style, but I was thrilled to see them skate so well. When Chris retired I said I didn’t understand why Alexa didn’t retire either because she wasn’t going to progress any further in the sport. I’m happy I was wrong!

I’m super bummed Radford/James medaled. They were both willing to do crappy things to get where they are, so I hope that bronze medal was worth it.

• Love 5

Got home from work in time to see the last four.  If you get a chance to watch Ashley's throw jump, her face is very off when she landed.  I told my husband something went wrong.  I know she had a concussion a few years back.  We re-watched both US teams going into the Olympics from way back. 

Hugh congratulations to Alexis and Brandon, and Vanessa and Eric.   Hated we missed the pairs short.  

Now unto the Men's short.

God bless Ukraine for all you have done for us thus far.

• Love 6