Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: The Kalamazoo

• Start Topic

(edited)

This episode is now available On Demand, so read this thread at your own risk if you don't want to be spoiled!

Ray helps a wealthy family free their kidnapped son; Mickey stumbles upon a new enterprise.

Promo:

Clips:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Watched it On Demand..

Welcome to the show Ian MacShane, hope he has. at least one scene with Paula.

OLTL alumni Brynn Thayer has aged well, nice seeing her as Mrs. Finney.

Barely recognized Bronson Pichot as Glory Hole guy.

• Love 1

Seemed like this was going to be a one-off job. But since Katie Holmes and Ian McShane will be in more than one episode ...

Ray is going to bed the daughter.

Ray was on phone getting news about Ezra passing and he got ... horny for the chick yakking it up in the bar?

Drunk Abby is a bit more tolerable than her usual nagging self.

• Love 1

I don't want to encourage day drinking and functional alcoholics, but I agree that drunk Abby is way more tolerable/less annoying. I knew I shouldn't laugh when Connor said that everyone drives drunk, but based on this episode I would have to agree with that statement since it seemed like almost every character was drinking in the middle of the day.

I'm glad that at least Darryl is concerned about how he and Mickey are going to pay their taxes. Mickey, as usual, doesn't give a shit. While it's great that he is concerned about Audrey and Ginger, I wish he's show a fraction of genuine concern about his own kids.

Oh, Bunchy. You really can't list watching tv and taking naps as your interests. On the other hand, who doesn't like either of those things? I wish Abby had taken some pictures of him for his profile. I want to know where he got that serial killer looking profile picture in the first place.

So how many more people from The Bridge are going to show up on Ray Donovan this season? Not that I'm complaining. Super excited about Al Swearengen joining the cast. If Mr. Wu shows up to yell, "C*********!" at him, I will totally make my day. Ooh and I would love Tim Olyphant making an appearance but that's just on general principle.

Poor Avi.

• Love 3

Seemed like this was going to be a one-off job. But since Katie Holmes and Ian McShane will be in more than one episode ...

Ray was on phone getting news about Ezra passing and he got ... horny for the chick yakking it up in the bar?

Drunk Abby is a bit more tolerable than her usual nagging self.

Ray is a thoroughly addictive personality. When he becomes emotionally distressed, he pursues getting chemicals into his brain which alleviate the distress, such as those provided by an orgasm. He's also very physially attractive to women, which makes it easy to for him to have orgasms with women he has just encountered, especially when those women are drinking. 

• Love 2

So the body count for Ray and Mickey are going up.  They had to do what they had to do in the past but Mickey in this ep. gets rid of a guy because he deserved it?

So the body count for Ray and Mickey are going up.  They had to do what they had to do in the past but Mickey in this ep. gets rid of a guy because he deserved it?

Didn't Mickey murder a priest a few minutes into the debut episode because he deserved it?

• Love 2

Well Mickey thought it was the priest that harmed his sons.

In this episode, while it was a bad guy, a neighborhood nuisance, not sure he deserved death.

But the body count for each of them could bring them up to serial killer territory.

While he's a "fun" character at times, this is kind of troubling for viewers, similar to the way people idolized Tony Sopano and his crew.

Well Mickey thought it was the priest that harmed his sons.

In this episode, while it was a bad guy, a neighborhood nuisance, not sure he deserved death.

But the body count for each of them could bring them up to serial killer territory.

While he's a "fun" character at times, this is kind of troubling for viewers, similar to the way people idolized Tony Sopano and his crew.

I've never seem him as anything but a violent sociopath. Violent socipaths can sometimes do stuff that makes peope laugh, but that doesn't make them not be violent sociopaths. The fact that some viewers are too morally cretinous to avoid idolizing violent sociopaths isn't a fault in the writing.

I'm not much into quantifying who "deserves" to be murdered, but, no, short of a murderer himself, I don't don't think a violent pimp is worthy, compared to other people, of any sympathy when they are murdered. 

• Love 5
(edited)

scrb - Ray turns to sex like other people turn to drugs or booze.  No big deal.  Just self-medicating.  And no, Mickey got rid of that guy for Mickey's reasons, not because the dude deserved it.  Mickey's running those girls now - including the little girl.  Mickey will try to get her into show business.

I had no idea Ian McShane was so damn tiny.  When he played Teddy Bass, he seemed larger than life.

Edited by Cubsfan
  • Love 3

Ian McShane is kind of famously short. He once said in an interview that his agent told him a long time ago that if he'd been even a few inches taller, he'd have had a Sean Connery sort of career.

Not that his height matters to me. I'm watching this season because he's in it. Haven't seen this episode yet but I'll be back when I do, with more focused comments

• Love 2
(edited)

Abby is now officially nuts.  I think it's kind of appropriate that she's now bedding a dog.

Bunchy's match.com profile, "I like to watch tv and take naps"...LOL!

Farewell, Ezra, I'll kind of miss you.

I especially enjoyed the creepy world of Mickey this episode.  I wonder if that apartment building is far from the Brady Bunch house.

Edited by Dobian
(edited)

I'm not attracted to Bunchy, but if I read a Match.com profile that said "I like to watch TV and take naps," I'd keep reading. I like both those things, and while you have to make it sound like you're constantly traveling and sky-diving and volunteering and putting out forest fires, we all know that's not true.

Yeah, Ray self-medicates with sex. Also sex is a pretty common response to death - craving connection, etc. Abby seems to be craving connection/companionship too, with the dog. She is ... unraveling.

Ian McShane is little, but Liev Schrieber is tall. I stood next to him on the subway once and he's probably about 6'3"

Barely recognized Fairuza Balk - she's very thin.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
(edited)

scrb - Ray turns to sex like other people turn to drugs or booze.  No big deal.  Just self-medicating.  And no, Mickey got rid of that guy for Mickey's reasons, not because the dude deserved it.  Mickey's running those girls now - including the little girl.  Mickey will try to get her into show business.

I had no idea Ian McShane was so damn tiny.  When he played Teddy Bass, he seemed larger than life.

Oh, Ray is an out and out alcoholic as well. He gets hammered in response to emotional distress, as well as getting off with women. He's an addict, and a much more sad one than, say, Don Draper, because he isn't as adept at lying to himself. The needle on his pain meter is buried on the right side 24/7. I like the show, and it is well done, but it almost gets hard to watch Schreiber's portrayal, a great portrayal, of someone who just is in agony.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 5

I know Hotel California has been overused in soundtracks to the point of becoming groan-inducing but I found it to be a pleasant addition to the ending of this episode. It helped that it was a live, more acoustic-sounding version.

Ray is so shut down emotionally he almost seems robotic.

Or she's going to bed him. Whatever, I'm not looking forward to it. Katie Holmes seems like stunt casting to me.

• Love 3

So why was the killing of the reporter the straw that broke the camel's back for Ray?

He turned on the Elliot Gould character and Avi because of that.

Was he going to run away with her because she was so spunky?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I rewatched some of the previous seasons over the weekend before the season 3 premiere.  I had forgotten how much Ray's awful family screws up the show.  Abby could improve the whole program by likewise falling drunk into a swimming pool.

And I don't believe hard-edged Ray would go all moppy over some blonde reporter floozy  It goes against his character.  Plus I hope this doesn't mean we see less Avi - one of the redeeming features of the show.

• Love 5

I rewatched some of the previous seasons over the weekend before the season 3 premiere.  I had forgotten how much Ray's awful family screws up the show.  Abby could improve the whole program by likewise falling drunk into a swimming pool.

And I don't believe hard-edged Ray would go all moppy over some blonde reporter floozy  It goes against his character.  Plus I hope this doesn't mean we see less Avi - one of the redeeming features of the show.

Ray is going moppy over every sh*t sandwich that is the banquet of his life, and the reporter being murdered, by his mentor, to protect the mentor and Ray, is just one of the sandwiches. The table on which all sandwiches are displayed is Ray being raped as a child by a priest, and the whole stinking mess is on the verge of collapse.

Now is where the writing gets difficult, after two seaons of piling this mess up. This is where "Mad Men" failed, as Weiner made the mistake of thinking that several more seasons of character stagnation would be interesting. If Ray Donovan is going to be interesting to watch, it can't just be Ray getting mad, drunk, and laid, weeks after week. It may be true that it is pretty rare that people make fundamental change,  but it is also true that many of the most interesting people do.  I hope they find a way to make Ray Donovan interesting as the show continues.  

• Love 1

I'm not attracted to Bunchy, but if I read a Match.com profile that said "I like to watch TV and take naps," I'd keep reading. I like both those things, and while you have to make it sound like you're constantly traveling and sky-diving and volunteering and putting out forest fires, we all know that's not true.

I thought the same thing.  Thought it was sort of refreshing that someone would be so honest in a dating profile.  Reading that I would have thought the guy was quirky and would have immediately been interested.  But then, I like quirky.  Bunchy's picture however, was unfortunate!

Abby has finally fallen down the rabbit hole.  Chasing down a runaway dog and then bringing it homes to sleep in your bed?  Sheesh.

I actually like Conor this episode.  He's grown up both physically and his world view.  I kind of loved that he single-handedly tried to disavow Bridget of her polyannish view the world and their Dad.

Liev Schrieber is such a wonderful actor.  Ray is truly a very sad sack right now, and Schrieber portrays that wonderfully!  

Why is Mickey the only Donovan that seems to have bounced back well?  I guess being a hardened asshat, terrible father, and rotten human being has rewards.

Don't know what to make of the family Ray is now working for.  Something tells me that family is going to be like the former Disney actress situation x10.

• Love 3

I binged watched seasons 1 and 2 in December. I was hooked immediately. This was my first time watching "new". It was an okay season opener. It didn't grab me, but that's not all that unusual with openers. I agree the show will feel played soon if its all Ray drunk, mad, repeat. Dealing in the business without Ezra now could be where the season will be interesting.

That beautiful dog couldn't have done something so bad in it's life to deserve going home with Abby. Free the dog!

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree with the poster who said that the real reason Mickey murdered the pimp was because he didn't want to go in with Mickey and run the girls out of the donut shop. Mickey may feel sympathy for the woman and like the kid as far as he is capable of feeling or liking anyone, but if the pimp had co-signed on Mickey's idea, he'd be in the land of the living right now.

Ray is an addictive personality who secretly wants to self-destruct. I have long believed that this is the reason why he stayed with the horrible Abby. She was his form of punishment. Now that he has something else, the death of the reporter, to make him feel bad about himself, he no longer needs to be with her.

The thought of Terry in jail breaks my heart. Bunchie in charge of the gym is a recipe for disaster.

Bridget and Connor continue to be their mothers' children.

Hopefully we will only be subjected to Katie Holmes in small doses. She truly brings nothing to every role she's in.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

Well Ray isn't giving Abby any positive reinforcement.  The big palooka is brooding all the time and taciturn when she tries to talk to him.

So Abby got herself a big, quiet dog.

• Love 1

Abby is now officially nuts.  I think it's kind of appropriate that she's now bedding a dog.

The dog is sort of a canine version of Ray.  Big, rough, causes damage intentionally or unintentionally, but is sort of sweet in his way.

• Love 1

STFU Bridget! Your mother cheated once but your father is a serial man whore. That fucking 5-headed bitch pisses me off, at least Conor was tolerable this episode. What a fucked up family...

Does Bridget know Ray fucks around, though?

The way she talks to her mother would get her put out of my mother's house, but then again, the Donovans are a much more rough and tumble family than mine.

• Love 3

Does Bridget know Ray fucks around, though?

The way she talks to her mother would get her put out of my mother's house, but then again, the Donovans are a much more rough and tumble family than mine.

I wonder this as well.  For some reason, I don't think Bridget knows the details of Ray's "other life".  And I'm surprised about that because Abby is the type of person that would tell the kids everything trying to somehow be the better person in their eyes. 

• Love 2

I went into this season unspoilt, like a newborn lamb, bleating.....mraaa....mrrRAAAAAAAA

Uh...okay! So I didn't even recognize Ezra in the hospital. That was some scary good golem makeup. Glad he's dead though; it's time to move forward.

Ian McSwearengen! Hoo. Fuckin. Ray! FINALLY we can get Trixie back on the floor.

Katie Holmes! She looks really good, and brings the cold bitch....again...but still. She looks better than I've seen her in years.

I'm so sad that Terry's in the slam, but after watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I can appreciate the sacrifice.

Punchy....I just have no use for that guy. Go take a nap.

• Love 1

Well, I finally watched it. I thought it was pretty good - not sure if I'd be as engaged if McShane weren't there. I thought he was terrific with only a few scenes to show his stuff. Loved the smile that flashed unexpectedly as he said "duress" and the whole scene with Ray by the pool. I hope he and Malcomson have a scene together for old time's sake, but I doubt they will. However, I'll bet they have a lot of fun hanging out around the production.

Elliott Gould just gets better and better as he gets older. And Jon Voight is fantastic, though I'm not sure I find Mickey that interesting a character. Really, most of the cast is terrific. The last thing I saw Steven Bauer in, was "Breaking Bad"; Avi seems smarter and more competent than Don Eladio was.

Nice to see a show about a "fixer" show him 'fixing'. The lack of that in favor of Mickey's intrusion into Ray's family was what drove me away originally.

Was I the only one really let down by the premiere? I thought season two was quite the ride with all sorts of unexpected turns. With the series creator gone and only getting a producer credit to save face, I don't know if this show is in capable hands. Did they hire a whole new writing staff too?

• Love 1
Barely recognized Fairuza Balk - she's very thin.

It's amazing how fast the years go by and people age.  I still think of her as a teenager.

She will always be Beth in The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (and little Dorothy in Return to Oz).

Ray is so shut down emotionally he almost seems robotic.

For me, that's been the case throughout the series. I don't recall him ever seeming happy about anything. It's more about the other characters bouncing off him than it is about him, because he's so ... taciturn (?).

We haven't seen the young priest before now. He's there and asking all the questions because of the body of the old priest who was found murdered last season. It's implied he was friendly or had ties with the old priest somehow.

In case it helps, the old priest was actually killed near the end of season 1 -- Bunchy recognized him as his childhood molester, lost it and shot him (wounding him), and dragged him to Terry's bar. Ray showed up to help fix the situation, but the priest (when begging Ray for help) admitted in front of the others that he had molested Ray as well (nobody else had ever known up to that point). Ray lost it when the priest started talking to Ray (about how much he'd "loved" him) and shot him in the head, and they ended up burying the body on the site of Ezra's construction site.

This actually ties in with the reporter Avi killed (for Ezra), that Ray was involved with. I don't think Ray was in love with her, but I do think he felt something for her, and that it was all tied in with the fact that she knew the truth about his childhood molestation. I also think Avi and Ezra underestimated how upset Ray would be at the reporter's murder.

Meanwhile, I'm really hoping this doesn't mean we see even less of Lena and Avi, since I love both of them in spite of the fact that they're pretty awful people. But then pretty much everyone is on this show. It's interesting to see  what will happen with the crazy rich family, but how wonderful to see Ian McShane again on my screen regardless. Like others, I'd be so delighted if we got to see him in a scene with Abby.

Speaking of which: I was affected by Abby's loneliness, and by her reaching out to save the dog. The dog was just so big and sweet and desperate for love, and I was glad she saved it -- for both their sakes.

But then again, I'm one of the few that has always liked Abby. I find her character very believable and actually oddly sympathetic. I think she does love Ray fiercely (and I do actually think he loves her), but she's always been able to handle tough times or sticky situations or Ray's mood swings with no problem before now. She's a tough cookie. But she can't handle the loneliness, and I feel bad for her right now. 

Edited by paramitch