Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

I find both couples underwhelming, although I like Alan and Monica individually. Too many affairs... oh, and that time Alan tried to kill her.

I didn't like Luke or Laura that much when I was first introduced to them in the 90s. Going back to look at the early 80s stuff, I totally get the appeal of them as individual characters, but I still can't get on board with them as a couple because of the rape.

During the ice princess stuff, I kind of want Laura to at least have one good make out session with Robert (maybe she will - I haven't finished yet). I don't ship them, but they do look awfully pretty together.

Edited by SlovakPrincess

I find both couples underwhelming, although I like Alan and Monica individually. Too many affairs... oh, and that time Alan tried to kill her.

Alan actually raped Monica too. :/ Someone posted a clip on TWoP a couple of years ago of a bedroom scene where Alan forced himself on her. Geez, GH.

• Love 1

I don't know how unpopular it is anymore, but Alexis has always fluctuated between annoying and boring for me.

Liz though, has never fluctuated. She's always bored me.

I don't get the big deal with most of the women on this show, TBH, and as a woman, that irritates me.

I still get enjoyment from Tracy more out of loyalty than anything these days, but I'm honestly at a loss as to any other female character I enjoy watching. I guess there's Britt for now. That's all I got.

I never hated the mob, just hated the way the mobular characters ate-and are still eating, LBR-the show. I hated the mob tied characters mainly because of the airtime hogging, when really in much smaller doses, I can at least tolerate them. Sonny is much more enjoyable as a supporting character and IMO that's all he ever should have been.

Oh, and Maurice isn't a horrible actor. He's just been stuck playing the same notes for so long, anybody would come across as tired.  I have enjoyed his performance the last few weeks, in fact, I think he and RH are the main ones to watch in this. I adore LW as an actress, but seriously dude. When all you can do is make faces and cry to show turmoil, you need to brush up your acting skills.

I hate it when actors fall back on tears because they can't emote with their voice and body language. It's lazy and boring to watch.

My UO is that Luke and Laura, as a couple and individuals and the actors behind them are the most overacted people/couples in the history of television. I've never found anything remotely attractive about TG nor do I see the talent his Emmys attest to. Genie was gorgeous but as an actress, she was as monotone as Steve Burton at his most stoic.

I know the record breaking ratings of their first wedding contradict my opinion but I did say it was unpopular :)

• Love 6

Oh, and Larry thinking Patrick was Tracy's boytoy made me want it. He'd be far more interesting with her than with Sam or Robin. Of course, it'd last about ten minutes before it imploded, but what glorious imploding it would be. And while I wouldn't want to see a love scene, there's actually something there that I think could be really tender.  I could actually buy it if a true affection developed, while with Patrick and Sam I'm left wondering "why?" apart from the obvious lust. But then Jane Elliot comes across as  flirting with just about any male, so maybe that's it? IDK  *shrugs*   Or it could be that I've read JE and JT are good friends IRL. I remember Ted King saying in multiple interviews he would have loved Lorenzo to be paired with Tracy, and I thought they had crazy chemistry. Ah well. Perhaps Lorenzo can come back from the dead, too.  Why not? It's the in thing these days.

• Love 1
I've never found anything remotely attractive about TG

To be fair, Luke has never been presented as a heartthrob. His parade of ever-more-appalling hairstyles is testament to that. Heh.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Alan actually raped Monica too. :/ Someone posted a clip on TWoP a couple of years ago of a bedroom scene where Alan forced himself on her. Geez, GH.

They cut away to a commercial pretty quickly, though, so I always try to fanwank that she stopped him before he went too far. Because, yeah, that almost makes me as uncomfortable as what happened with L&L. Everything else, though, especially the breast cancer story, still gives A&M the edge for me.

Here's a possible UO:

I kind of wouldn't mind if Duke & Holly wound up together if it meant Robert & Anna were together. *ducks*

• Love 1

Here's a possible UO:

I kind of wouldn't mind if Duke & Holly wound up together if it meant Robert & Anna were together. *ducks*

Heh. In this case, the ends justify the means, I'd say! I want R and A to be endgame, anyway. Sonny has ruined Duke (like he ruins everything), and Holly hasn't been a decent character since about '86 ('93, if I'm being charitable). So I no longer care what happens to those two.

Kiki and Britt are complete wastes of space, but I mind them far less than a lot of other characters. They can stay forever if Franco, Sonny, Obrecht, Nina, Helena, Faison, Heather, Jerry, Stavros die forever, permanently and never, ever come back.

And if Britt decides to turn on her gross psycho parents, and helps bring about their permanent demise ... I will love her.

• Love 3

I NEVER bought the "bond" between Michael and AJ when he was alive, it seemed forced, not natural. All he ever seemed to do was follow AJ around and agree with everything he said. Then AJ fell off the wagon again and (to me at least) it seemed like Michael only stood by his side because he felt like he had to. Then AJ was accused of killing Connie and Michael wasn't sure if he believed AJ was innocent. To me it just seems like he has a lot of anger for and loyalty to a man that was almost a stranger to him. He really only got to know him over a year's time, not several years, and a good portion of that year involved AJ being stuck in a jail cell. I always felt like Ron only had AJ and Michael get to know each other because he wanted to give Sonny another opportunity to get angry and wave his gun around and make threats, not because he was actually interested in them forming a real relationship. It also doesn't help that a lot of this "bonding" happened off screen.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 2

To me it just seems like he has a lot of anger for and loyalty to a man that was almost a stranger to him. He really only got to know him over a year's time, not several years, and a good portion of that year involved AJ being stuck in a jail cell. I always felt like Ron only had AJ and Michael get to know each other because he wanted to give Sonny another opportunity to get angry and wave his gun around and make threats, not because he was actually interested in them forming a real relationship. It also doesn't help that a lot of this "bonding" happened off screen.

I agree and I would expect Michael to have more conflict about his feelings for both Sonny and Carly. He has loved them all of his life despite what they have done in the past. He hated being in prison and felt badly for AJ went he first came back and was sent to jail. He didn't want AJ (a man he barely knew) to have to suffer in prison. But now he wants both Sonny and Carly in prison without any hestitation and mixed feelings? I don't buy it. Not one bit.

• Love 1
But now he wants both Sonny and Carly in prison without any hestitation and mixed feelings?

Right now, Michael is ruled by anger. Carly coming in and basically demanding that he forgive her and Sonny is only fanning the flame.

I think we started to see some hesitation when Michael was considering signing the name-change papers. Then Carly barged in and all but dared him to sign them, so of course he did. 

I imagine the mixed feelings will begin next week. People just need to let Michael be, instead of forcing their opinions onto him. (Of course, this is Ron, who had her parents demand that Natalie immediately forgive her mentally ill sister for locking her into a panic room and nearly blowing her up, so I'm not holding my breath that Michael can come to terms with everything on his own.) Michael is supposed to be more sensitive, so he should start to have some regret and sadness for everything that happened.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

I think it's hilarious that when things actually happen that are cool and have needed to happen forever, people will still complain. Maybe Ron isn't always the reason we can't have nice things. It reminds me of in WWE when everyone wanted Daniel Bryan to be champ or CM Punk, but they finally get it and suddenly they're "overrated ".

For years, fans wanted Michael to have a relationship with AJ. Done. It was good. Not as great as it could have been due to writing, but damned if CD and SK didn't try. Forever, fans wanted Michael to go back to the Quartermaines and then Carly and Sonny would pay. It's happened. Micheal Corinthos is now Michael Alan Quartermaine. Sonny is in prison for murdering AJ, and Michael dropped some major truthbombs on Carly. IMO that wasn't rushed, but not soon enough. I'm not going to point out why as that's been done to death.

So my UO is that maybe we as fans are often too critical. Give a story a chance. If we never did that, soaps as we know it would not exist.

• Love 9

I think it's hilarious that when things actually happen that are cool and have needed to happen forever, people will still complain. Maybe Ron isn't always the reason we can't have nice things.

To a point, I agree with this. The problem (for me) is that when Ron does stumble on something that works or is cool, he either dismantles it or makes it suck because it doesn't fit in with his vision. Take Morgan/Ava, for instance. I'm aware that they were not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. But instead of capitalizing on the chemistry between BC and MW, MoRon decided that it would be better to have Sonny screw Ava on the grave of the man he murdered in cold blood, wrecking not one but two promising things, Ava/Morgan and AJ finally being able to get to know his son. Maybe fans can be too critical, but that didn't happen in a vacuum. It happened because Ron is an idiot who is determined to fuck up anything he doesn't like or doesn't want to write for.

• Love 10

Oh I completely agree. Um not popular in an UO thread lol. But I guess my UO is that I've always believed it was in character for Sonny/Ava to have sex, for Sonny to have sex or somehow desecrate AJ's grave and the Quartermaines crypt by default. It was totally in character for Carly to cover up Sonny killing AJ and hating Ava out of jealousy for that. Not because Ava sexed up Morgan. It is totally in character for Carly/Sonny to, um underestimate their kids. Or anyone, really. But Ava was out of character to be so schmoopy over Morgan. The better story would have been Ava/AJ. SK and MW had killer chemistry, and I'd rather see MW with a man than a boy. Morgan can bay and mew at Sonny, Carly, the whole town- but he's less of a man than he was when he went to Ava's room about a year ago.

In fact, weren't we counting down the days till Sonny/Ava had sex? One good thing about Nina is that I doubt she and Sonny will ever get together. Maybe feud and yell, but no romance.

• Love 3

Not gonna lie. I want Sabrina to be the child of Sonny/Lily. For all the damn wahhh I had to hear about clink boom pt one, he better love and embrace Sobby. Plus, tons of UCG at Sonny trying to go after any Cassadine not Alexis nor Nik nor the little thing. And Michael hating Sonny, but caring for Sabrina would be good soap. Plus, Kiki's head might freeze or explode. But Rosalie is most likely ClinkBoom baby just....because. Good enough.

Either way, I am down for Sabrina minus Felix and Patrick. I'd like to see Sabrina/Morgan chem tested.

• Love 1

The current writing team makes me miss Guza. There, I said it.

Guza most certainly started us down the road to perdition with his mob worshipping ways but the stories told over the last two years have effectively ruined the show for me. Even in his wildest Robin- and Aj- hating dreams, I think Guza would have shown more restraint than Ron has. (Ok, maybe not toward AJ). But I don't believe Guza would have subjected us to Dr O as COS. Or Fluke. Or the Nina. Or this even more nauseating version of Franco. Or a lot of this rampant stupidity. And Guza served up a lot of stupidity. Ron takes it to a whole new level.

I didn't even think it was possible to ruin Sonny and Carly, but Ron has somehow figured out a way to make them exponentially worse. And we will still never be rid of these two!

• Love 2

Okay, here goes.  Was Britt's scheme with Spencer - having him go missing so Britt could cozy up to the worried Nikolas - a bad, stupid thing to do?  Yes.  But was it even in the same league as what she did regarding Ben?  Not at all.  So the show treating it as such just makes me roll my eyes.  It happened months ago, Spencer is totally fine, I guess I just don't get everyone stressing that it's a huge, insurmountable secret.

• Love 2

I hate RH. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. I am so tired of his hamming it up; I am so tired of his smirking; I am so tired of how obviously fantastic he thinks he is; I am tired of his woobie face; I am tired of the soap press being up his ass. I could maybe overlook all of the above if he either actually tried all the time, not just when he thinks the storyline is worthy of him - which he never has; or if he was a good actor. But I've seen him play the same character in what were supposed to be three distinct roles on three different shows. I'm tired of Todd!Franco!Whatever-the-hell-the-name-of-his-character-on-ATWT-was. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

I feel much better now. [/rant]

• Love 12

I hate RH. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. I am so tired of his hamming it up; I am so tired of his smirking; I am so tired of how obviously fantastic he thinks he is; I am tired of his woobie face; I am tired of the soap press being up his ass. I could maybe overlook all of the above if he either actually tried all the time, not just when he thinks the storyline is worthy of him - which he never has; or if he was a good actor. But I've seen him play the same character in what were supposed to be three distinct roles on three different shows. I'm tired of Todd!Franco!Whatever-the-hell-the-name-of-his-character-on-ATWT-was. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

I feel much better now. [/rant]

Replace Hate with Resent and that is where I am with him. 

I loved him on OLTL but GH has forever ruined him  for me.

• Love 4

Deputy Deputy CoS:

My UO is that Luke and Laura, as a couple and individuals and the actors behind them are the most overacted people/couples in the history of television. I've never found anything remotely attractive about TG nor do I see the talent his Emmys attest to. Genie was gorgeous but as an actress, she was as monotone as Steve Burton at his most stoic.

I know the record breaking ratings of their first wedding contradict my opinion but I did say it was unpopular :)

I Totally agree and have thought the exact same things for 30+ or however long ago it was when the Luke/Laura mess started.

Edited by OnceSane
added quote box
  • Love 1

I don't know where to post this, but here goes.  I am not defending Patrick, because he does seem rather "it's all about me", but I don't understand why everybody is so pissed that he is divorcing Robin.  I think I understand the story line - she is not staying away because she wants to, but to protect her family.  It seems rather contrived that she is singled out to be kidnapped by someone all the time and just can never see her husband and child.  I also understand that the actress doesn't want to play this role on any permanent basis.  I just don't understand what Patrick is supposed to do about it.  If he were brave and rescued her, it wouldn't help the situation, because the actress still isn't coming back.  If he tries to get on with some kind of a life without her, he is un-caring and mean.  What is the character supposed to do? Become a monk or spend his life weeping and wailing because Robin isn't there?  It's clear to me that this is the choice of the actress, and it's putting Patrick is an impossible situation.  As they say - damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.  I don't understand why they don't replace her or just write her out as dead.  They could even have them get a divorce, she could move away, and they could share custody, which would explain where Emma is when Patrick doesn't mention her.  Whatever - it just seems that the actress who plays Robin has made a choice that is making it difficult for the story and the writers should deal with it, somehow. 

Edited by movinon
  • Love 3

Very few actors control anything, and KMc isn't one of the ones who do or did. KMc actually wanted Robin to be killed when she left the show…Frank (and Ron) convinced her to make these occasional visits. If they can't write a cohesive story by including Robin, that isn't KMc's fault or problem, IMO. It's all on Ron and Frank, they are the decision-makers.

• Love 11

Very few actors control anything, and KMc isn't one of the ones who do or did. KMc actually wanted Robin to be killed when she left the show…Frank (and Ron) convinced her to make these occasional visits. If they can't write a cohesive story by including Robin, that isn't KMc's fault or problem, IMO. It's all on Ron and Frank, they are the decision-makers.

I do agree, but as I said prior, centering a story on an absent character, while not KMc's fault, is just poor storytelling. Because, even though it is not up to KMc and is not her responsibility, tying Robin getting annually victimized to Patrick and Anna only hurts the latter two, because logically, they should look for her or whatever, but the character is not on canvas for any real length of time, so in trying to accommodate the annual tease to the audience where Robin is concerned, Patrick and Anna are decimated in the process.

And it is unfair to all three actors and characters. It's time to piss or get off the pot.

• Love 8

I agree with all of the above.

I've been posting about this topic lately so I want to just say that I'm not putting it on KMc when I talk about this storyline and refer to her status. I make it a point to make that distinction but get these replies about it not being KMc's fault anyway. Her absence is a huge factor in Patrick and Anna's current storylines, thus my brining it up. 

And for what it is worth, nothing in movinon's post alluded to KMc being at fault.

EVERYTHING is the showrunners' fault. That goes without saying,

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
  • Love 4

I can't wait until KMc comes back and the writers will officially put an end to Robin/Patrick. And she'll get to say "PEACE OUT, SUCKA" and run off with a Stone lookalike. This will happen, right!? RIGHT, GUYS!? *passes out*

Since it is the unpopular opinion thread: I HATED Stone. If he lived, he'd likely be a mob flunkie and he and Robin would never have made it. I think the sad way he died deified him, and I don't miss Sonny's lackey at all.

And while he didn't mean to do so and Robin is half responsible, I found it hard to believe that Robin had ZERO resentment towards Stone for her HIV fate, either.

• Love 5

Thanks - I didn't know she requested to be killed off.  It seems that a civil divorce is the most logical then, and she could be practicing medicine in another city. Then Anna wouldn't look like she doesn't care and Patrick could have shared custody of Emma.  Then, when they do bring her back back for a visit, it could be fun for her and happy times for the family instead of her being in danger all the time. Writers have so much control, and such a frightening lack of common sense, it seems to me. I am watching this happen on Y&R, too, and it's sad when some of our posters can write a better story.  I would just like a happy solution for everyone and I really feel sorry for Emma. 

• Love 4

And while he didn't mean to do so and Robin is half responsible, I found it hard to believe that Robin had ZERO resentment towards Stone for her HIV fate, either.

Guess you can tell I'm kinda new - less than a year.  I didn't know anything about HIV at all, and I don't know who Stone was.  I suppose, even after this long, maybe I should go read the cast stories - probably should have done that a long time ago.. 

The reason Robin is written like this now is that the writers are sadists.   They are teasing us:  "will she finally be free and happy this time?  No, ha ha, you suckers!  But you'll tune in for her next appearance, desperately hoping for a happy ending at some point, won't you!  mwahahaha!  Ratings!" 

Just kidding.  Sort of. 

And I won't say I hated Stone, but I am awfully sick of hearing about Saint Stone ... most especially when Sonny is doing the talking. 

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 4

Since it is the unpopular opinion thread: I HATED Stone. If he lived, he'd likely be a mob flunkie and he and Robin would never have made it. I think the sad way he died deified him, and I don't miss Sonny's lackey at all.

I wasn't watching at the time, but I've watched a bunch of clips, and from what I can tell, Michael Sutton seemed kind of like a sucky actor until the last few months of his time on the show.

Guess you can tell I'm kinda new - less than a year.  I didn't know anything about HIV at all, and I don't know who Stone was.  I suppose, even after this long, maybe I should go read the cast stories - probably should have done that a long time ago.. 

I'll respond to you in the history thread.

I want Robin's last scenes to be punching Patrick in the face, smacking Carly really hard,kissing Billy Miller and saying "Your loss for choosing the wrong women.", smacking Duke, going to the prison to tell off Sonny, and kicking over Stone's grave. She will then take her child and leave Port Charles.

• Love 4

Not sure if it unpopular or not but I am okay with Dante and Lulu being a solid couple. It is nice to have one stable relationship on this show. They are the only current couple who weren't slapped together 5 minutes ago. TJ and Molly are too young to count.

Their angst, which is external, is okay with me as well.  Not all problems within a relationship is about the other man/woman. The interloper roadblock has been done to death. Much to the genre's detriment IMO.

• Love 8

Ryan Paevey is a charisma sinkhole and still can't act. He needs to hand in his resignation to Anna, have some goodbye sex with her on her desk and then leave town. I think the guy's pretty but that gets boring after 5 seconds. I'd be more inclined to see him stick around if he were just cop #3 . . . instead we have to see Kirsten Storms have to try to carry all their scenes.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5