Type keyword(s) to search

Magic Mike XXL (2015)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Yeah Harry is a GREAT dancer and sexy as hell even when he's not dancing, something I can't say the same about Tatum Channing Tatum. who is a buttah face, but a doll and joy just the same.

I thought this movie was an UTTER delight, and I grinned from practically the first scene to the last. I hated the first movie, it was just so much try hard, and had an unappealing Pettyfer in it, about the only thing I liked in the first one was Channing dancing, and Matthew McConnawhat's  Dallas. I actually think the sequel did a better job developing the guys characters, and I loved that it had no pretense toward a plot. Oh and Jada/Channing were hot like fiyah!

The highlights was how much the movie focused on women of all shapes and sizes desire and being able to just revel in it, the Domina scenes particularly with tWitch did things to me, and I thought it was really beautiful moving scene when Ken sings Heaven to the cougar. Oh and I really loved Amber Heard in this, because 1) I kept thinking did she just borrow all Johnny Depp's jewelry for the wardrobe on this movie? and 2)I thought she brought a really interesting energy to her scenes as a bisexual woman (the character, but also IRL), and it meant that their scenes didn't feel like a heavy handed romance subplot, Rome was Mike's love interest, not Zoe.

I also wondered about a lot of the women in the strip scenes including Heard, a lot of their reactions did not seem remotely like "acting" and I loved that maybe that final tWitch/CT thing was the first time AH had "experienced" the routine. She is so shocked and delighted, as are all the women in the film, that it's infectious and contagious.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 3
(edited)

How's this for swagger? I'm sure Channing has a better command of striptease-specific dancing what with past experience, but Harry's the better dancer of the two in general.

Well, he's certainly limber enough and he's a good dancer but I'm still not seeing the sex appeal.  To each their own though. : )

I also think that Channing Tatum looks different to me depending on the angle his face is shown in.  Sometimes I think he's good-looking and then there are other times he does look like a buttah face.  In any event, I think he's sexy, even with the buttah face, and I think it has a lot to do with his personality. 

Edited by Ohwell

I also think that Channing Tatum looks different to me depending on the angle his face is shown in.  Sometimes I think he's good-looking and then there are other times he does look like a buttah face.  In any event, I think he's sexy, even with the buttah face, and I think it has a lot to do with his personality. 

I remember when he first started getting famous and I did NOT get the appeal because he's totally a "cute from the neck down" guy for me. But he has everything else going for him though.

• Love 2

I remember when he first started getting famous and I did NOT get the appeal because he's totally a "cute from the neck down" guy for me. But he has everything else going for him though.

Many of my friends disliked him as "a big block of wood" -- in that he seemed well formed but in no way remarkable.  I, however, saw his charm in She's the Man and have loved him ever since.  "Do you like cheese?"

• Love 3

Yeah Harry is a GREAT dancer and sexy as hell even when he's not dancing, something I can't say the same about Tatum Channing Tatum. who is a buttah face, but a doll and joy just the same.

I thought this movie was an UTTER delight, and I grinned from practically the first scene to the last. I hated the first movie, it was just so much try hard, and had an unappealing Pettyfer in it, about the only thing I liked in the first one was Channing dancing, and Matthew McConnawhat's  Dallas. I actually think the sequel did a better job developing the guys characters, and I loved that it had no pretense toward a plot. Oh and Jada/Channing were hot like fiyah!

The highlights was how much the movie focused on women of all shapes and sizes desire and being able to just revel in it, the Domina scenes particularly with tWitch did things to me, and I thought it was really beautiful moving scene when Ken sings Heaven to the cougar. Oh and I really loved Amber Heard in this, because 1) I kept thinking did she just borrow all Johnny Depp's jewelry for the wardrobe on this movie? and 2)I thought she brought a really interesting energy to her scenes as a bisexual woman (the character, but also IRL), and it meant that their scenes didn't feel like a heavy handed romance subplot, Rome was Mike's love interest, not Zoe.

I also wondered about a lot of the women in the strip scenes including Heard, a lot of their reactions did not seem remotely like "acting" and I loved that maybe that final tWitch/CT thing was the first time AH had "experienced" the routine. She is so shocked and delighted, as are all the women in the film, that it's infectious and contagious.

I saw the movie this afternoon and couldn't agree more. It's such a body-positive movie. And it's also really sweet, in that everyone is so supportive of each other, and you have guys expressing their desire to have wives and families. Even if Dick's "glass slipper" is not quite what Cinderella had in mind : ).

• Love 1
(edited)

Channing Tatum is not your basic pretty boy, or debonair in any way, but the fact that he is a dancer (BIG time points with me) and doesn't take himself too seriously, and also seems really in love with his cute little wife, makes him more handsome to me. He and Jimmy Fallon acting out children's version of they thought Magic Mike was about was absolutely hysterical.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 6

I agree, her reactions were sooooooo good. I just wish her character were better in the rest of the movie.

Channing Tatum's body, moves, swagger, and personality are what make him sexy to me. I used to think he had a beautiful face, but something looked off about it in the movie. 

And someone brought up Channing Tatum and his wife--this is completely OT, but they are one of my favorite celebrity couples and if they ever break up I will be devastated. I hope his fame doesn't go to his head!

• Love 1

The women I watched with also thought that must have been her first time.  But I'm actually going to have to stand on the side of Amber Heard being a good actress (in this singular instance) because one, the women are thrown about so much she must have had at least one run-through to make sure her hair and arms were in the right place at the right time and two, even if they didn't rehearse, they still had multiple takes with a variety of camera angles.  Shit, that must have been exhausting for CT & tWitch.

• Love 1

Eh this is Soderbergh though that's not his style, he shoots DV himself with the camera, with minimal set ups/takes. Ulitimately I'm just not sure how much acting is required when your shooting Magic Mike, and I don't think Amber Heard had to "pretend" to be enjoying the fuck out of that dance.

• Love 1

I still feel it would have been pretty fun for Amber Heard even if it was her first time or her tenth time. I think there must have been a "dress rehearsal" with the girls at least. I did appreciate that Heard looked to be enjoying it and being embarrassed at the same time.

When I watched the film, I told my friend, "I don't think of the extras had trouble acting or being entertained on this set," The cast mentioned that they had really good extras who would be into it for every shot. They really gave them a lot of energy. Twitch mentioned on Ellen, they found real $1 bills alongside the prop money the crew had given the extras.

• Love 1
(edited)

Eh this is Soderbergh though that's not his style, he shoots DV himself with the camera, with minimal set ups/takes. Ulitimately I'm just not sure how much acting is required when your shooting Magic Mike, and I don't think Amber Heard had to "pretend" to be enjoying the fuck out of that dance.

This was not Soderbergh, it was Gregory Jacobs.  And no matter how minimal the director may be in general, with a long choreographed number with four participants, hundreds of extras, and 360 degrees of views, there was a lot of set-up and takes.

However, on the 100th take I'd still be pretty fucking thrilled to have Channing Tatum throw me around like a ragdoll, so no, no one had to get Method on this.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 4

This was not Soderbergh, it was Gregory Jacobs.  And no matter how minimal the director may be i

Most reports said he was director in name only. Soderbergh was the cinematgrapher and camera operator and the editor as far as I know. 

But we are all agreeing, AH's enjoyment was authentic even it was rehearsed and on the third take.

Channing Tatum is not your basic pretty boy, or debonair in any way, but the fact that he is a dancer (BIG time points with me) and doesn't take himself too seriously, and also seems really in love with his cute little wife, makes him more handsome to me. He and Jimmy Fallon acting out children's version of they thought Magic Mike was about was absolutely hysterical.

In other places around the net I've seen him nicknamed Charming Potatohead and that really seems apt. He's not the most conventionally attractive in the face, but that golden retriever personality does a lot to boost his appeal.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the film, but missed the group numbers from the first one.  Their last hurrah performances were lacking, I thought.  I didn't mind that it meandered a bit.  Road movies are supposed to do that. It was an enjoyable night out. And, yes, I'd probably shell out good money to see a third one.  It may not be doing as well as the first because some of the novelty has worn off.  The budget was low enough that I'm sure that it is still quite profitable.

To be fair, a department store mannequin with a frown sharpied on its face and a tape recorder playing back some random grip reading lines opposite Channing would be a step up from Cody Horn.

Good lord, she was the worst part of the first movie. Horrible character and an awful actress. Apparently, she is the daughter of the president of Warner Bros, so that's why she got a role in this film or has a acting career. Also didn't miss the bland doucebage that is Alex Pettyfer. Him and Tatum didn't get along during production of the first film. Pettyfer is said to have a bad reputation as being diva and a nightmare to work with which is probably why his career tanked.

Good riddance to both.

• Love 2

Yep. I greeted the news that she was the studio head's little princess with exactly zero surprise. She reminded me of this old Paula Poundstone routine.

https://youtu.be/VLLP1Wtrg0U?t=6m18s

Me neither - in fact, I was like "She has GOT to be someone's kid" after I saw the movie because she's TERRIBLE, and felt vindicated when I was right. She was in that Jake Gyllenhaal/Michael Pena cop movie and she was terrible in that too (although her part is much smaller). And I remember hearing the rumors about Alex Pettyfer and thinking "If Channing Tatum hates you, you must indeed suck" because by all accounts I've heard, Channing is a really affable, friendly guy who likes most people.

Didn't know Elizabeth Banks was in this - that was a fun surprise. Overall the movie is entertaining. I think it helps that there are zero stakes here. They weren't trying to win the competition - it wasn't even a competition, it was a convention. It was just a bigger forum for the stuff they all already did. (I did have the thought that I would be PISSED if I got pulled onstage and had whipped cream sprayed all over me.)

Hated Adam Rodriguez's shaggy hair - it was much better cornrowed. Matt Bomer singing "How Does it Feel?" was better than I expected. While he himself is sexy, he has a very musical theater voice and that song (and video) is pure sex - like, that is a song you have sex to. So I wondered if the song would fit his voice. It went better than I thought.

While he himself is sexy, he has a very musical theater voice and that song (and video) is pure sex - like, that is a song you have sex to. So I wondered if the song would fit his voice. It went better than I thought.

Heh, I did think he was good, but I could not help mentally comparing him to d'Angelo and the comparison was not kind. 

UO? I didn't hate Cody Horn in MM or in End of Watch, I mean her character in MM sucked and I don't think she was memorable, but I certainly found Pettyfer far more problematic to my enjoyment of MM than Cody Horn, because Alex Pettyfer ruins almost every thing I've ever seen him in. Honestly I just think MM sucked at a script level, period. 

UO? I didn't hate Cody Horn in MM or in End of Watch, I mean her character in MM sucked and I don't think she was memorable, but I certainly found Pettyfer far more problematic to my enjoyment of MM than Cody Horn, because Alex Pettyfer ruins almost every thing I've ever seen him in. Honestly I just think MM sucked at a script level, period. 

Alex Pettyfer just looked dirty, like physically unclean, for the whole movie IMHO.  One of the things that bugged me about XXL was the total disconnect between Mike and the Kings because, even if he walked away, he was dating The Kid's sister!  Did she just disown The Kid??

(edited)

Re the first film, while the script had its flaws, the good far exceeds the bad for the most part. Cody Horn & Alex Pettyfer were by far the weakest links, acting-wise. Speaking of acting, whatever CH did in the first film not only wasn't it, IMO she's one of the worst cases of Hollywood nepotism of all time. I've got no problem with nepotism with the relatives of celebrities if they've got the talent to back it up-like, say, Lloyd Bridges' sons Beau & Jeff, who are respectively, Emmy & Oscar-winners-but CH isn't even remotely close to being that good.

Re Matt Bomer's rendition of "Untitled (How Does It Feel)," it was just as sexy as the original for me. Re Channing Tatum, while he's not conventionally handsome, I don't think that People gives out the "Sexiest Man Alive" title to ugly guys, which IMO he's not, plus, his Vanity Fair covers-including this Year's Hollywood Issue ( on which he wore white tie, tails & Amy Adams) and this month's prove that he cleans up nice.

One of the things that bugged me about XXL was the total disconnect between Mike and the Kings because, even if he walked away, he was dating The Kid's sister! Did she just disown The Kid??

According to Mike, The Kid's working with Dallas in Macao, of all places.  

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Really liked this one.  Like others have said it definitely dragged in certain parts but a fun enjoyable ride nonetheless.  Jada Pinikett Smith was a great addition.  I think this is the best I've seen her in the last few years.  Donald Glover was a nice surprise.  I knew he was in the movie but I didn't know it was more than a cameo.  Stephen Twitch was good as well.  Loved the light heartedness of this one compared to the first, you could tell everyone was having a great time.

Really loved the sequence at Rome's club and the scenes with Andie McDowell, to me those two scenes sort of exemplified the movie.  My only complaint is that I wish we saw more routines and I wish we saw more of the guys.  For a "XXL" movie we didn't get a lot of XX.  The thong shots at the end were nice, but I remember getting a jolt when Matt Bomer was getting naked while doing his routine, more of that please.  Also loved that they expanded Matt's role for this one.

• Love 4

The box office hasn't been gangbusters, but the budget was low so it's possible a third one can happen.

Yeah; I figure that another sequel will depend on 1) how much they can slash the budget, 2) who is willing to come back for a sequel, and 3) if they can expand the scope to make it an "event" film.

I'd imagine that Joe would be a lock for any sequel since he really seems to have wholeheartedly gotten into the whole stripping thing. That alone more or less guarantees me buying a ticket.

My SO royally pissed me off this morning so I felt the need to see some beefcake and went to see Magic Mike XXL this afternoon.  Again.  It was just what I needed.  I actually liked it even better this time.  Channing Tatum really can dance and I appreciated Jada Pinkett Smith's and  Elizabeth Banks' roles even more.  And I loved Amber Heard's unbridled joy and surprise at getting tossed around on stage.

I have decided to tell my SO that the only way he can make it up to me is to find a pair of Michael Strahan Genuine Tight Ass Gold Tiny Shorts and do a dance for me. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

My SO royally pissed me off this morning so I felt the need to see some beefcake and went to see Magic Mike XXL this afternoon.  Again.  It was just what I needed.  I actually liked it even better this time.  Channing Tatum really can dance and I appreciated Jada Pinkett Smith's and  Elizabeth Banks' roles even more.  And I loved Amber Heard's unbridled joy and surprise at getting tossed around on stage.

I have decided to tell my SO that the only way he can make it up to me is to find a pair of Michael Strahan Genuine Tight Ass Gold Tiny Shorts and do a dance for me. 

Haha.  Make sure you have Jodeci's "Freak N You" playing.  It definitely helped set the mood.

According to Mike, The Kid's working with Dallas in Macao, of all places.  

Mike thought Dallas was dead when Tarzan called -- the Kings informed Mike that Dallas and The Kid were in Macao.

Edited by dusang
(edited)

The Vanity Fair Channing Tatum Cover Story not only has a great interview with Rich Cohen & gorgeous photos by Annie Leibowitz featuring Tatum in a tight black T-shirt, tight black pants and soaking wet, it ends with a great quote:

A short time before I met with Tatum, I'd attended a press screening of Magic Mike XXL.  There were a half a dozen people in the theater, mostly women, presumably from the production company. In the last 30 minutes, the film hits such a crescendo of colorful, gyrating, music-driven all-male erotica that I felt as if I were hallucinating.

Walking out benumbed, I was behind two women in their 20s, discussing the movie as friends and I once discussed Stripes or Lost In America.

"What'd ya think?" the shorter one asked

"What'd I think?" the other replied. "I think I could've watched that all day."

Me too, sister. Me too.

Mike thought Dallas was dead when Tarzan called--the Kings informed Mike that Dallas and The Kid were in Macao.

You're right. In my defense, seeing Joe Mangianello naked gave me a temporary brain freeze. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I watched this great movie and my brain is still going "Holy Shit!  Matt Bomer can really sing!  Holy Shit!  I wanna be the lady that sits on Matt Bomer's lap while he sings to me!"

Thoroughly enjoyable movie!  I was not feeling my best yesterday, but after seeing this movie, I felt a lot better!  I had such sweet dreams about this movie last night.  Thank you Channing, Joe and Matt for making my day!

• Love 3

I Netflixed this a couple weeks ago, my third time seeing the movie.  I skipped through a few parts, like when they went to visit the women, but I will never tire of seeing these guys do their routines.  The interesting thing is that, while each guy is different-looking, I find them each attractive in his own way.  

• Love 2

Yes, it's nice to have a film that's "for us." I mean, no boobs, no misogyny. Just a film for the female gaze. Getting a new MM once a year would be fine by me, Mr. Tatum. 

Even better, it could be a series, preferably with the original cast, with the guys going on tour and working their "magic" all over the country, if not the world. The show could be on HBO or Cinemax, aka "Skinemax,"  giving the latter nickname a whole new meaning. 

I Netflixed this a couple of weeks ago, my third time seeing the movie. I skipped through a few parts, like when they went to visit the women, but I will never tire of seeing these guys do their routines. The interesting thing is that, while each guy is different-looking, I find them each attractive in his own way. 

Co-sign.  While Mike is the star, this film showed that each of the other guys are magical, in their own way:

Tarzan-Does magic with glitter

Tito: Does magic with sweets

Ken: Does magic with music

Big Dick Richie: Does magic with water, Cheetos, sex swings and ( of course) his dick

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
On July 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM, hendersonrocks said:

Roxane Gay recaps Magic Mike XXL. And it is glorious.

Potentially relevant context:

• She is a badass feminist who loves Channing Tatum
  • The post's title is "I Wanted to Hug Every Part of Him With My Mouth: A Magic Mike XXL Recap"

I loved that review SO MUCH that I just followed Roxane Gay on Twitter and bought the iBook of Bad Feminist. Very belated thank you because I just saw the movie, which has been on my DVR for months. 

• Love 1

Just watched this on HBO Now and loved it.  But I also enjoyed the original Magic Mike so clearly I am easy to please when it comes to male stripper movies. I could watch a gif of BDR squirting the water bottle from his sweat pants on a loop all day. And then again the next day. 

And yes that review by Roxanne Gay was everything!

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 3:56 AM, Bruinsfan said:

How's this for swagger? I'm sure Channing has a better command of striptease-specific dancing what with past experience, but Harry's the better dancer of the two in general.

I mean, yeah Harry S is a great dancer but is he in Magic Mike  XXL?  Like, why are we comparing them? 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2016 at 4:33 PM, Trini said:

No plans for Magic Mike 3. But He's working on the Broadway and Vegas shows.

All day I've been seeing pop-up ads for the Magic Mike Vegas show, and I must admit that my first reaction is Ewwww.

I'm not usually a fan of male strippers anyway, but I enjoyed Magic Mike and XXL because I was watching semi-raunchy performances from Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Alex Rodriguez, Michael Strahan, and others--celebrities I know and like.  I don't know the guys in the Vegas show, which makes their anonymous stripping anything but appealing to me.  

I don't know if that makes any sense, but there it is. 

• Love 1