Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Bangarang

• Start Topic

I thought it was okay. I like the story with Dutch's secret father/trainer best. I think that Davin is plant to get close to Dutch. He is way too curious about her past. I think that is why someone high up in the RAC allowed her to continue to be a Killjoy. Maybe they are trying to use her to get to father/trainer. I thought I read somewhere that Luke McFarlane's character would be gay. 

• Love 1

Full confession, I expected to hate this because I think the name Killjoys is stupid. I decided to watch the show anyway because Sci Fi Friday is back! I'm glad I did.

Dutch is the bee's knees. I swear, I could have a girl crush on her. I loved her. The spider bomb necklace was the bomb.

I'm in.

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked it.

Dutch's voice reminds me of someone other actress,, but I can't think of who. Suggestions appreciated  'cause it's really bugging me. Her voice sounds so familiar.

Edited by Janimo

I don't know. I was kinda bored. But not so bored that I am not willing to give it a second try. The idea is good. I like the bounty hunter idea but it feels too messy. Still Sci Fi Fridays are a thing so I will give it another episode before I make up my mind.

• Love 3

I thought it was fun.  Not great, but an entertaining romp.  Not familiar with the actress playing Dutch, but I enjoyed her kicking ass, and being the leader of the group. I did think she sounded a bit like Sarah Manning from Orphan Black though.

Anytime I see Aaron Ashmore, I first go "Oh, the Ashmore twin who wasn't Iceman."  Then I go "Well, at least he wasn't in The Following, so he's got that going for him."  But he was fun here, I thought.  Already like the brief moments and banter between Johnny and Dutch.  The brother was my least favorite; thought Luke Macfarlane seemed a bit uncomfortable at times, but maybe he'll ease into it.

So, Dutch was apparently trained at a young age to be a killer, by this mysterious dude played by Rob Stewart.  Was amused by that casting, since he had a recurring bit on Dark Matter at 10 p.m.  Got to love those Canadian-based shows and their casting!

• Love 5

So, Dutch was apparently trained at a young age to be a killer, by this mysterious dude played by Rob Stewart.  Was amused by that casting, since he had a recurring bit on Dark Matter at 10 p.m.  Got to love those Canadian-based shows and their casting!

Rob Stewart has also been on at least one episode of Defiance, so he could come back on that show, too. It's a trifecta.

I enjoyed it. I thought the chemistry between the three main characters was really good and there are question marks surrounding the pasts of both Dutch and D'Avin. I'm in.

(edited)

I loved Dutch, liked Johnny, and thought D'Avin was the weak link. It's interesting that the creator of Dark Matter, the other new show on SyFy Fridays, described his show as kind of like the anime, Cowboy Bebop; because it's nothing like it. Killjoys, however, with it's bounty hunters, megacorps, and outrageous shoot 'em ups is total Bebop.

I'm intrigued enough to stick around.

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 4

I'll give it another try but tonight it just didn't hold my interest; I found my attention wandering.

I want to like it because it's a Canadian production and I like to see Canucks working.

I'll give it another go next week.  (The blues/depression is kicking in hard so that may be a factor.)

• Love 1
(edited)

They kept Luke McFarlane shirtless for half of the episode, and thereby won my loyalty.

Much as I'm a fan of his though, I did wonder about the possibility of casting Shawn Ashmore as the other brother.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

Dutch's voice reminds me of someone other actress,, but I can't think of who. Suggestions appreciated  'cause it's really bugging me. Her voice sounds so familiar.

Ophelia Lovibond (Kitty on Elementary)?

I fell asleep after about 10 minutes and am trying to get everything packed to be moved in a few days, so I might have to skip this for now.

• Love 1
(edited)

They kept Luke McFarlane shirtless for half of the episode, and thereby won my loyalty.

Much as I'm a fan of his though, I did wonder about the possibility of casting Shawn Ashmore as the other brother.

I would really like to see Aaron and Shawn star in a (successful) TV series together. I'll have to give this a few more episodes before I decide. I'm not quite sure about it yet. Edited by Dot Com

I thought it was fun.  it did what a first ep.  of a Space Opera/Sci fi show is supposed to do. It intro'd the characters, the world,  and the political system. It also did stuff any show should do, it established bonds among the main characters, intro'd rivals for them, and hinted at good shady backstory for that could be mined for future plot.  And it did it all in such a way that kept the story moving, didn't feel exposition, and looked really cool.  Also it has three ridiculously pretty leads who also can act and have great chemistry with each other.  Hey, it even had a snarky ship's computer "Commencing ass kicking"

i can't help but compare it to Stitchers which I also watched the first ep of and what I felt tried too hard to do everything Killjoys did effortlessly  but failed at.

• Love 3

I'll give it additional points over Dark Matter for featuring lots of extras and varied settings, including an outdoor garden party in daylight. I don't get the sense that the entire universe is a handful of characters, a ship set, and one warehouse. (I can just imagine Mallozzi and Mullie pitching their series by enthusiastically saying "Every episode is a bottle episode!"

• Love 7

Not great, but I have a real weakness for this sort of thing. And genre shows always need a little patience at the beginning, because there is just so much more world-building exposition to get through. But it was already picking up by the end of ep 1.

Dutch and her backstory are the most interesting elements by far.

Some of the language is cliched or goofy, like "The Company" or "Battle Brain". But points for having a bounty hunter with a Fu Manchu look named "Fancy".

Also points for casting a woman as the cynical old dispatcher/mission briefer.

• Love 5

I liked Aaron Ashmore a lot on 'Warehouse 13' so I'm glad to see him back. Same goes for Luke McFarlane who was great in 'Brothers and Sisters'. Hmm, both played gay characters on those shows but I think the brothers here are straight. Which brings me to the one question I was waiting for D'Avin to ask his brother - but he didn't.

Lots of word-building, interesting characters including the secondary ones and plenty of mysteries from the past to haunt the main characters - all in all a decent pilot.

PS: The heroine (cat)walk down the hall complete with swooping gown and deadly spider-necklace should not have worked but it looked awesome.

• Love 4

Liked it better than Dark Matter - it already looks like it has bigger budget and doesn't limit its sets. Liked the two main characters, the jury is still out on the older brother.

Kind of felt like Serenity's genius and Andromeda's camp went on and had a baby and named it Killjoys. I've read a review saying it has a too complex world... I beg to differ. I love complex worlds and not everything must be given in the pilot. I like that there's religious cult, an independent bounty hunters' nation... I want to know more about this world and I'm hoping to learn more about it in the future.

Dutch is my fav, closely followed by Johnny. The stoic mentor (hello, Rob Steward!) is the third in line. Not feeling the older brother character, I cringe seeing the looks between him and Dutch (is this supposed to be sexual tension?... Hope not!).

• Love 6

Decent start.

An interesting world, with lots of possibilities to explore. I think they laid down plenty of exposition without it being too clunky.

Dutch is badass, hot, intelligent... and the boss. What's not to like about her? She also has an intriguing backstory, and I guess her journey is going to be emotional more than anything, at least to begin with. Johnny seems like a dashing rogue archetype, and Ashmore pulled it off quite well.

Sadly, the older brother is a complete stiff. I hate it when actors are cast from their torso alone (has to be why he's in this, right?). If they try to go love triangle between him, Dutch and Johnny, I'm out. Not got time for that crap. I think that's where they are going, with the looks between older brother and Dutch, and the established 'platonic but blurred lines' relationship between Dutch and Johnny.

• Love 1

Some of the language is cliched or goofy, like "The Company"

A cliche based in reality. Westerly is a company town err planet. Company towns used to be quite the mainstream in the US. These company towns sometimes had their own currency and US dollars were not welcome. So you couldn't exchange the company script for US dollars. So you couldn't leave the town with any money unless you had some before you went there and hid it. The stores in the town, the rent in the town, everything in the town was controlled by the company who   if not obvious owned and ran the entire town. 

http://www.cracked.com/article/89_the-6-most-horrific-bosses-all-time/

• Love 1

A cliche based in reality. Westerly is a company town err planet. 

http://www.cracked.com/article/89_the-6-most-horrific-bosses-all-time/

Sure. But something like "Weyland Yutani" or "Blue Sun" has a little more pizzazz, is all I'm saying. They wouldn't have to use it all the time, but in introducting it, giving it a name would be a nice bit of flavor.

On the other hand, have the shapley Hannah John-Kamen working for an outfit called the "RAC" (rack) might be a little too cute?

• Love 1

Well, maybe I have low standards, but I thought it was highly enjoyable. I'm in.

Sadly, the older brother is a complete stiff. I hate it when actors are cast from their torso alone (has to be why he's in this, right?).

Having seen Luke MacFarlane in many other roles, I'm holding out hope that he can find his footing here. I didn't think he was awful, but he did seem a bit off. I'm hoping they're not going for a Dutch/ D'avin pairing, and I liked the fact that despite the goo-goo eyes, in the end D'avin seemed like he was just doing it in an attempt to get close to her to figure her out (or at least that's what I got from his conversation with Johnny in the end).

I thought I read somewhere that Luke McFarlane's character would be gay.

While I hate to see LM get typecast, I'd much prefer this to a Dutch/ D'avin relationship, and I think it would be interesting in terms of story.

• Love 5

Sure. But something like "Weyland Yutani" or "Blue Sun" has a little more pizzazz, is all I'm saying. They wouldn't have to use it all the time, but in introducting it, giving it a name would be a nice bit of flavor.

On the other hand, have the shapley Hannah John-Kamen working for an outfit called the "RAC" (rack) might be a little too cute?

Since the company is the gov't and all residents work for it or for the indepedent RAC which works for this company in this area, it makes no sense to name it. After all there is no competition for a company why would you need to have it's name advertised since everyone knows who you mean by company. 

• Love 1

Since the company is the gov't and all residents work for it or for the indepedent RAC which works for this company in this area, it makes no sense to name it. After all there is no competition for a company why would you need to have it's name advertised since everyone knows who you mean by company. 

It's not the only company in the universe. Of course it has a name, even if it's just "Quad System, Inc." What would some not in the Quad system call it? 

I didn't say it doesn't make sense for locals to call it "the company" for short. People who lived in Kohler, WI or Hershey, PA might have unambiguously called their respective employers "the company" most of the time, but that doesn't mean they didn't call it by its real name once in a while. And even companies in company towns love to stamp their logos all over the place.

It's not a big deal, I'm just saying that not bothering to add a little flavor there is a missed opportunity. ("J Star Cluster" and "Quad Planetary System" also not super-imagnative. I sense a pattern here, that I hope they get away from). 

• Love 1

I'm reserving judgement on any romantic pairing just yet.  So far it does feel like they might be trying to forecast something b/t Dutch & D'Avin...but it is just the first episode.  In the pilot I can see them trying to sell a tiny bit of sizzle with the show.  But my hope is that they concentrate on delivering a cool show with a great world-build, interesting plots, and fun characters who fight pretty.  And If, as it progresses, Dutch/D'Avin present some real chemistry or heat then I'm ok with it.  I just hope they don't try to force something that just isn't there just for the sake of creating some shipping buzz.

This is so much better than Dark Matter that it's not funny. Dialogue that doesn't suck! Actors who are marginally competent! Characters who are interesting and have personalities and charm! It's definitely a very "vintage" sci fi show (especially the title credits) but it's also a lot of fun.

• Love 2

Pilots are often a bit shaky and this was no exception, but I'm totally in. Loved everything about Dutch from the actress, to her badassery, to her mysterious backstory and I'm delighted that she's the boss. Plus, she absolutely gorgeous.

Icetwin is always welcome on my screen and I thought he was good here and had nice chemistry with Dutch.

I enjoyed the worldbuilding. I love conspiracies involving corrupt corporate overlords and the kind of reluctant heroes that run across them.

I really disliked the older brother though. I hope he doesn't end up with Dutch. She should not be tainted by him. Besides, Dutch and Johnny obviously have deep and complicated feelings for each other and I'd rather see that friendship evolve than go down the road where the couple dislikes each other and generally act like jerks, but then fall in love.

• Love 6

I don't know. I was kinda bored. But not so bored that I am not willing to give it a second try. The idea is good. I like the bounty hunter idea but it feels too messy. Still Sci Fi Fridays are a thing so I will give it another episode before I make up my mind.

I found it a bit tiring - when I watched the trailer I expected badass space bounty hunters and maybe a little arc.

Then the pilot we get: space bounty hunters, autocratic company, oppression, rebellion, estranged brother (with a secret), monastic secret society of assassins- have I left anything out?

I'm not even going into the guy they went after to get the nose-ring full of something that would get the company off her case. And the organization they're a part of in which a high-ranking guy now hates her and will stop at nothing to take her down. And her old handler/mentor has tracked her down and wants her to start killing marks for him.

It was just too much, in my opinion (and Dark Matter was too little - so much so that they had useless slo-mo in a gunfight) - slow down, dudes.

(edited)

The brothers thing is the weakest link for me in the first episode. It's dull and the actors have no chemistry. And Luke Macfarlane is just awful and out of place. Have they hinted on upcoming Dutch/D'Avin romance? Please, no!

Dutch is awesome, in generic Strong Female Character kind of way (the tunnel fight scene was laughably bad, though) but her backstory is intriguing and I have high hopes for that. They're definitely in need of more female characters in this show.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 2

I really disliked the older brother though. I hope he doesn't end up with Dutch. She should not be tainted by him. Besides, Dutch and Johnny obviously have deep and complicated feelings for each other and I'd rather see that friendship evolve than go down the road where the couple dislikes each other and generally act like jerks, but then fall in love.

I get the feeling that since Johnny thinks of Dutch as "family", the possible romantic aspect of their relationship was swept under the rug. She also treats him like a younger brother (which is funny, because in real life he is 10 years her senior). D'avin on the other hand... Everything with him feels forced.

After watching the episode again (yes, I am not ashamed), I've decided why I cannot warm up to him. He reminds me of Grant Ward on the Agents of SHIELD. The actors are similar and I could see some mannerisms. As I hate Ward with the power of a thousand suns, the feelings transfered to D'avin. I'll try to fight that. though. D'avin may not deserve such a hard treatement from me.

• Love 2

Yeah, if Dutch and Johnny haven't slept together already after six years they're probably not going to.

I'm withholding judgment on D'avin.  He's not bad, really, but the other two leads are just much better.

• Love 1

I get the feeling that since Johnny thinks of Dutch as "family", the possible romantic aspect of their relationship was swept under the rug. She also treats him like a younger brother (which is funny, because in real life he is 10 years her senior). D'avin on the other hand... Everything with him feels forced.

Dialogue like "you do everything but sleep together" felt to me like it was signposting some unresolved, complicated feelings. Then, when they showed older brother eyeing Dutch, I had to side-eye the show. Hopefully he is gay, because that would be something relatively new for a science fiction show (in my experience, anyway), and they could perhaps use it as a way of showing the evolution of society. And then if Dutch and Johnny are truly sibling-like, the show would be able to avoid much of the 'shipping stuff completely.

I hope those familiar with Luke MacFarlane's work are right, because few things can drag a show down as much as a leading actor who is a complete dud.

• Love 2

His scenes with Johnny worked well enough, in a "Yup, those are estranged siblings alright" way. It's his interactions with Dutch that just felt off. I hope that is intentional - that he was coming off badly because he was trying to learn what was up with her, and the character is a bad, bad actor. Because if this is supposed to be the start of a relationship, it's going to be a trainwreck. 

• Love 1

"J Star Cluster" and "Quad Planetary System"

The issue is that there is a huge number of star clusters in just the Milky-way Galaxy. Several hundred to several thousand. So if you devised a naming system you would go through letters and numbers pretty quick. In fact if you look at current names for identified star clusters you get names like 

NGC 7790, M19, M73, NGC 3384. So A star Cluster, B Star cluster etc would be something you would expect to find in the future. 

As for planetary systems names would also start becoming very systematic since there is estimated to be over several hundred million in fact possibly up to a billion  star systems in the Milky-way galaxy. . 

Anyone else getting some serious Natasha Romanoff/Red Room vibes from Dutch and her backstory?  That alone would probably suck me in. 

Like others, the older brother is the weak link for me.  I will give him a chance though.  Pilots are rarely the best, and this one was pretty good overall, so if they need a couple episodes for the writers and actor to sell me that one character, I'll give them that.  I'm pretty much sold on everyone else already.  I'm usually a big romance fan (especially if it's a side component of adventure stuff - I love me some battle couples) but with only 3 people in the main cast, I would really, really prefer that if there are any romances they are with people outside the main threesome.  There's just too much potential for terrible, immature drama with any two of the main three sleeping together.  

I really liked how complicated they made the world right off the bat, trusting the viewers to keep up.  I hate when TV, especially scifi, treats me like I'm an idiot.  They used enough common tropes that it's really not hard to decipher, but it's not so cliche that I feel like I know everything that's going to happen.  It was a good balance, IMO, and they have a lot of different ways they could take this going forward.  

• Love 1

I get what y'all are saying about Dutch and Johnny being portrayed as sibling-like, but I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears because I really don't want a romance with the older brother. The checking her out, the bickering, the midnight half-dressed tussle all indicate that I'm going to be very very disappointed though.

(edited)

Found a Luke MacFarlane interview that addresses his character's sexuality; here's a quote:

"It’s really great. Our showrunner, Michelle Lovretta (who also created the queer-centric “Lost Girl“) is really smart about sexuality and what sexual identity meant. She has very cool opinions on it. The thing I told you about Aaron Ashmore and Hannah’s relationship, that’s a unique sort of sexual relationship in that they’re people that are not having sex but they’re really close. My character could really have sex with whoever he wants and has a very sort of careless relationship to sex. I don’t think he’s gay in any way but I don’t think it would be above him or like anybody in the world to have sex with somebody of the same sex if it was going to get them something that they needed. It’s a very transactional world in that sense."

Full interview here: http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/06/19/luke-macfarlane-on-sexuality-and-the-sci-fi-genre-in-the-new-series-killjoys/

Edited by dargosmydaddy
I don’t think he’s gay in any way but I don’t think it would be above him or like anybody in the world to have sex with somebody of the same sex if it was going to get them something that they needed. It’s a very transactional world in that sense."

Sooo, being bisexual is basically being honey-trap and it's a totally normal in the future? This is somehow really "cool" opinion about sexuality.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is from the creator of Lost Girl? *smacks head* I quit that show because the romantic pairings were a complete mess.

Although it tried to squeeze too much into this first episode, I thought it was entertaining and fun. There's a lot of potential as long as they don't try any stupid love triangle silliness. Dutch seems to have an interesting backstory with her old mentor. Plus, she and Johnny have a good rapport. D'avin does seem clunky in this first ep, but I'll give him a pass because it's a first ep. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it goes.

Edited by LazyNeko
  • Love 2

Sooo, being bisexual is basically being honey-trap and it's a totally normal in the future? This is somehow really "cool" opinion about sexuality.

My mind went immediately to Captain Jack Harkness - there are worse places to go.

• Love 1

The impression I got is that maybe attitudes about sexuality are relaxed enough that people don't stress out about occasional activities outside their orientation, as opposed to characterizing what McFarlane was describing as typical of bisexuals who are actually attracted to both genders.

• Love 1
(edited)

Or maybe everyone is bisexual in this future world. I don't think any sci-fi shows have done a great job with incorporating anything more than a handful of token homosexual characters or couples in their narratives. I think it might be refreshing (and certainly help them steer clear of predictability) if everyone was sexually fluid. 

Luke MacFarlane has been pretty good and quite likable/charismatic as recurring character Rick on Night Shift. He had some good scenes dealing with his character, a soldier, being out and in the military, and then losing his leg and suffering PTSD.

Edited by taragel

I really enjoyed this. I'm a fan of Luke McFarlane from his days on Brothers and Sisters, so I was excited to see him in this role, and I enjoyed him. I don't know if the plan to pursue a relationship with Dutch, but I felt like in the pilot, they were conveying that he sees there is more to her than what's on the surface. And Aaron Ashmore, I remember from way back on Veronica Mars, although I know he's worked fairly steadily since, I haven't seen much of it. I was really fascinated with Dutch, and look forward to seeing what Hannah John-Kamen will be doing with the role...

I'll be back next week!

(edited)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Thom Allison as Pree, the gayish (to me at least) bartender. He's supposed to appear in 10 eps, if imbd.com is correct. Also, the guy is drop dead gorgeous, if this pic is any indication.  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2420243968/nm1047709?ref_=nm_ov_ph

I liked him a lot. I also really enjoyed the lady that gives Dutch the info on her mission, Fancy, and Dutch's mysterious old mentor (Roan!). Actually, I think overall the show is really well-cast. The only weak-link is the older brother.

After watching the episode again (yes, I am not ashamed), I've decided why I cannot warm up to him. He reminds me of Grant Ward on the Agents of SHIELD. The actors are similar and I could see some mannerisms. As I hate Ward with the power of a thousand suns, the feelings transfered to D'avin. I'll try to fight that. though. D'avin may not deserve such a hard treatement from me.

I just rewatched the episode too and he reminds me of a cross between Ward and Brendan Fehr. No bueno.

Edited by cynic
  • Love 2

I think she sounds a lot like Downtown Julie Brown.

• Love 2