Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: The Broken Bough

Amanda negotiates with the Omec, a new alien race, for the future of Defiance; and the Tarrs return to find much changed and their loyalties tested between the humans, the Omec, and the Votanis Collective. Meanwhile, Nolan and Irisa encounter a survivor of Votanis Collective atrocities that can aid their first strike against Gen. Rahm Tak's oncoming army.

(edited)

"Come with me if you want to live" was the best line of dialogue in the episode. Farewell, Pilar. Nolan is, of course, right about Irisa being unreliable, but if she had killed the General, the season's whole story would have been prematurely over.

Here's hoping the Omec takes a big chunk out of Stahma. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

"Come with me if you want to live" was the best line of dialogue in the episode. Farewell, Pilar. Nolan is, of course, right about Irisa being unreliable, but if she had killed the General, the season's whole story would have been prematurely over.

Here's hoping the Omec takes a big chunk out of Stahma. 

Well sure.  Now not only can Irisa obsess over the death she caused last season by her actions, she can also obsess over the deaths she's allowed through her inaction.  This show thinks the only good Irisa is a sad Irisa.

I think it's more likely that the Omec is going to lose multiple chunks to Stahma.

• Love 4

Yep, this show finding a way to have Linda Hamilton say "Come with me if you want to live!", goes right alongside The Flash finding a way to have Mark Hamill say "I am your father!", as one of the biggest shout-outs to an actor's past franchise.

So, yeah: it seems Irisa just has problems killing now.  I wonder if this all because of what she did last season under the influence of that gold/silver stuff, or if being in the pod helped effected her as well.  Either way, I have a feeling that her new "No kill!" mode, is either going to do her harm, or might even put someone else in danger.

Stahma cozying up to the Omec guy was awesome.  Jaime Murray is so much fun in this role.  Love that Datak and Stahma can barely get through a single mission without biting each other's heads off, but still find a way to complete it.  That said, I'm glad that Amanda hasn't forgotten what they did to Kenya, and if she ever does find out about what they are really doing, she might actually go through with pulling the trigger this time.

At least Berlin is still the Peacekeeper, it seems.  Unlike poor Tommy, who pretty much lost the job back to Nolan, once Nolan returned in Season Two.

So, General Rahm really, really doesn't like Nolan.  And his next plan is to break Defiance's spirit or something, by having Datak/Stahma blow up the arc.  If nothing else, I can see it happening, so that the title card can now have wreckage and stuff, to go along with the changing seasons and whatnot.

• Love 3
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks Pilar will... be back?

It will not be pretty when The Butcher of Tulsa finally comes face to face with Nolan. Tak's insane muttering was fairly scary.

The only false note for me was Amanda letting Datak off the hook so easily. She actually is ready to "move forward" on his assurance, his promise to put the town first? I can hardly stop laughing at the idea.

I loved Stahma's attempted seduction of T'evgin. "As a connoisseur of the flesh, I think an Omec would enjoy something more savory." Indeed. She's practically salting her ass. Would T'evgin appreciate the bath, I wonder?

Edited by BungalowSummer
  • Love 2

So much goodness. The Terminator line. Pilar getting shot. The baby being returned to the Tarrs. Tarrs being Tarrs. And my favorite of all during the commercial breaks, the return of "SyFy Friday" however you spell it. I hope this is gonna be as good as two Stargates and a BSG. Oh, life is good.

• Love 2

I liked this ep. a lot. 

Stahma and T'evgin were magnificent together. Watch out, Datak.

"Come with me if you want to live" was also awesome.

Ha! I'd say count on it.

I'm guessing someone about to kill Nolan will cause Irisa to fall off the Thou Shalt Not Kill wagon.

I was so annoyed that it was f'in' Pillar who screwed up the mission.

Will Alak be the next martyr for the cause? And what is the cause at this point? The arch?

That's what I'm afraid of, I want her permanently gone.

Has Nolan forgotten Irisa is his daughter? Because he sure isn't treating her like someone he loves, more like a replaceable employee.

I missed part of the ep (damn phone) so I have a question: what were those slug-like things in the weapons (that Amanda confiscated from Datak ?). More to the point : what do they do to ruin all those weapons?

Another question: Is Stahma's  white face makeup less pronounced/thick this season? At times I thought that I saw the actress real flesh tone coming through. 

• Love 1
(edited)
I missed part of the ep (damn phone) so I have a question: what were those slug-like things in the weapons (that Amanda confiscated from Datak ?). More to the point : what do they do to ruin all those weapons?

They had shrill inside them -- that basically ate anything in the armory.

http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Shrill

Shrill bombs were previously seen in Season 2

Where did they find a 60-year old AMC Eagle (well, 60-years old in showtime, they quit making them in 1988) ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

Would late great-grandpa's garage work? I thought it looked out of place too.

The show takes place in Missouri.  There's people with working Colt Peacemakers there.

Meanwhile, I still like/hate Rahm Tak:

"I AM THE BUTCHER OF... Where are we again?"

"Tulsa."

"TULSA!"

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

I'm a little concerned that season seems to be slowly killing all of the humans who aren't Nolan and Amanda, even Pilar clearly SUCKS. My only hope about the Votanis Collective and the Omec is that we might see some Sensoths, Liberatas, and bio men. When was the last time we saw any of those?

• Love 3
I'm a little concerned that season seems to be slowly killing all of the humans who aren't Nolan and Amanda, even Pilar clearly SUCKS. My only hope about the Votanis Collective and the Omec is that we might see some Sensoths, Liberatas, and bio men. When was the last time we saw any of those?

We saw that General Rahm Tak has a Volge -- we haven't seen them for a while either.

Actually, they're quickly killing all the humans!

I was angry when they killed off Jered, the Liberata bartender, in Season 1 and now it looks as if Bertie and Sukar might be permanently lost in the Kaziri wreckage. The disappearance of Pottinger and Mercado bothers me, too. We're left with Berlin as the only main cast human along with Nolan and Amanda. I hope they develop Berlin's character more, because I'm sick of her yelling "But she killed TOMMieeeee!" as she starts beating up on Irisa again.

I understand that they've refocused the story on an existential fight against evil enemies and all the action that goes along with that, but characters like Bertie, Sukar, Rafe and Pottinger gave the show real texture for me. They were the opposite of generic, and I miss them. Now I just would like to see Mordecai come back so Irisa can kick his ass for writing "Amazing Goddess of the Badlands." I think we'll be needing a few laughs as the show gets ever more grim.

• Love 6

I'm also a little annoyed that the show seems to be narrowing down to a few significant humans and Castis and Irathients. With the killing off of the McCawleys they also nipped the interesting interfamily dynamics with the Tarrs in the bud. Plus, I plain liked Rafe, who was my favorite of the human characters and one of the most well rounded imo. The Omec father-daughter team have potential, esp. the father, but I'd have would've liked a little more build up to them and their master race of Alien vampires instead of them being dropped out of nowhere. It feels very freak of the week with a better acting and writing.

I am very interested to see what game Stahma is playing on Papa Omec. I can't wait for her to meet the daughter, who doesn't seem to have qualms about killing someone who annoys her and is a hot head.

I'm also impressed with how far Alak's actor has come, compared to the fairly wooden first season performance he gave. Now I kind of want Irisa and him to form some kind of friendship when he is back home. Mama and Papa Tarrs' heads would roll lol.

• Love 2
(edited)

Has Nolan forgotten Irisa is his daughter? Because he sure isn't treating her like someone he loves, more like a replaceable employee.

He's always been extra tough on her and really, she could have gotten rid of the maniac right there and then. 

I really enjoyed seeing them work together, Irisa really didn't seem especially stealthy in the camp, though maybe she was just so visible against the snow.  Still it was fun to watch. 

characters like Bertie, Sukar, Rafe and Pottinger gave the show real texture for me. They were the opposite of generic, and I miss them. Now I just would like to see Mordecai come back so Irisa can kick his ass for writing "Amazing Goddess of the Badlands." I think we'll be needing a few laughs as the show gets ever more grim.

Yeah for sure.  Pilar and her quick trigger finger doesn't replace any of them (assuming she will be back!)  Though there's still fun to be had, we'll need some laughs along the way.

I wonder if Stahma & Datak will try to clue Nolan et al about their spying and Alak being a hostage?  They both just seem unusally - compliant isn't quite the right word, but more falling in line with it then I would have guessed.  They've both seen a lot of brutality, I can't believe they're not trying to come up with a plan.  Maybe that'll come up next episodes.  Stahma working on the Omec father was great to see though.  Can't wait to see what THAT endgame is going to be about.

Maybe Alak will try to take matters into his own hands.  Gets slapped around and then almost gets his chance with Irisa/Nolan.  

The Omec father-daughter team have potential, esp. the father, but I'd have would've liked a little more build up to them and their master race of Alien vampires instead of them being dropped out of nowhere. It feels very freak of the week with a better acting and writing.

I agree with your general sentiment, but I was thinking that yes, the Omec have extra strenght/speed with a bogeyman reputation among the Votan that may have been exaggerated over time, what with the eating of others and all.  I'm hoping for more than just a generic storyline.  The show has done well IMO with meshing different peoples together, so the Omec may be more (or less, depending on your POV) then their reputation.    We have General Rahm for over the top evil, their should be something different from the Omec.

Edited by raven
(edited)

Honestly I don't miss the MaCawleys. They were probably the least interesting part of the show for me.

The Nolan/Irisa relationship is an interesting one. He treats her as much a partner as a daughter. If he cannot trust her as a partner then he can of protected her as her father. He was essentially right. She should have killed the head Voltan guy. The fact that she couldn't or wouldn't makes her a liability to him.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Well, I knew Irisa wasn't going to kill Rahm, since that would kill one of the main plotlines for the season.  Same with how Nolan didn't shoot him either, despite being able to take out so many other random VC people.

It seems like the season will be a big build-up to the Voltanis Collective attack, which when it appears to be at the most dire, will be suddenly expunged by the return/attack of the Omec ark passengers having a 'feast', and that will be the new season/mid-season cliff-hanger of how do the survivors of Defiance, et al. deal with that new threat.

The Pilar/Linda/Terminator shout-out was great.  I totally expect her to show up again at some point, probably at the worst time...again.

I missed what Stahma and Datak said happened to Alak and the baby, so part of me was wondering if Nolan didn't know Alak was being held hostage at the VC camp.  A shame Irisa didn't see him, they might have rescued him too (though again, that would have ruined the Stahma/Datak spying/destruction story line).  It was great seeing Nolan's skills really come into play.

One good thing, in general, about speaking in alien languages as Stahma did.  No one watching the show is going to know if she messed up.

(edited)

That's what I'm afraid of, I want her permanently gone.

He hasn't forgotten that she's his daughter but he's never been the coddling type.  He'll baby her if she's physically injured but mental trauma is something he's not used to addressing.  In his mind, he's thinking she should just shake off the PTSD and/or guilt.

Besides she's his partner as well as his daughter, he puts his life in her hands.  When he asks her if she's good and she lies about it and it later affects the mission then he has the right to be upset.

On a related note, I love seeing their roughhousing.  It's very reminiscent of a father play fighting with a young son except kicks to the face are allowed.

Another question: Is Stahma's  white face makeup less pronounced/thick this season? At times I thought that I saw the actress real flesh tone coming through. 

I think that's been an ongoing problem with all the Castis.  The application of makeup tends to fade.  

Star Trek creators were pretty smart when it came to creating races that would be on the show regularly.  Use small prosthetics applied to face.  Lot easier than covering actors head to toe in white paint.

Would late great-grandpa's garage work? I thought it looked out of place too.

Maybe but I thought it was the most badass station wagon I've ever seen.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 2
(edited)

Besides she's his partner as well as his daughter, he puts his life in her hands.  When he asks her if she's good and she lies about it and it later effects the mission then he has the right to be upset.

ITA.  It's the main objection I have to Irisa, who I otherwise admire. She consistently lies and/or covers up about whatever is bothering her. And it's also my main objection to Nolan. He's consistently thick-headed and takes her at her word when it's perfectly obvious she lying. Even when he knows she's hiding something, he waits too long to confront her. Too stupid, kiddo.

I missed what Stahma and Datak said happened to Alak and the baby, so part of me was wondering if Nolan didn't know Alak was being held hostage at the VC camp.

I don't think they said anything about Alak. If they'd told Nolan that Alak was being held by Rahm Tak, Nolan would have immediately wondered why the pair were back in Defiance and why they weren't asking for his help in rescuing Alak. This whole matter was sort of glossed over by the writers.

Nolan and Irisa rescue the baby from Pilar and return him to the Tarrs, no questions asked. Remember, Nolan & Irisa had been buried under the mines for the past seven months. As soon as they show up in town, they're caught up in the power crisis and then the Omec crisis. When did they get a briefing on the disappearance of the all the Tarrs along with all the McCawleys? As far as we can see, the reappearance of the Tarrs with the news that the McCawley family has been murdered is all a surprise. And still no questions, like "Where's Alak?" "Why did Pilar have the baby?" "How did the Tarrs escape Rahm Tak?"

The Tarrs, of course, will twist and lie for at least half the season before they admit anything to Nolan. First of all, they are clear about not trusting anyone. Second, it would ruin the plot line.

It's all okay with me, though. I don't care that much about a little handwavium on the part of the writers. All they need to do is have Stahma recite love poetry to T'evgin while she oils up to him, and I'm putty in their hands.

Edited by BungalowSummer

I think that ship has sailed. It might have been the first time they actually spoke, but in the episode where Datak got himself elected to the town council Nolan told her he'd had his eye on the wrong snake all along, and she didn't contradict him. Of course, Nolan doesn't let "dangerous" deter him but I doubt if Stahma would waste the time.

I don't think they said anything about Alak. If they'd told Nolan that Alak was being held by Rahm Tak, Nolan would have immediately wondered why the pair were back in Defiance and why they weren't asking for his help in rescuing Alak. This whole matter was sort of glossed over by the writers.

Nolan and Irisa rescue the baby from Pilar and return him to the Tarrs, no questions asked. Remember, Nolan & Irisa had been buried under the mines for the past seven months. As soon as they show up in town, they're caught up in the power crisis and then the Omec crisis. When did they get a briefing on the disappearance of the all the Tarrs along with all the McCawleys? As far as we can see, the reappearance of the Tarrs with the news that the McCawley family has been murdered is all a surprise. And still no questions, like "Where's Alak?" "Why did Pilar have the baby?" "How did the Tarrs escape Rahm Tak?"

Datak said that he and Stahma and Alak were making a run for it, that he managed to pull Stahma into the roller they'd planned to escape in but that he lost track of Alak. They spent some time searching for him, but when it became day, they decided discretion was the better part of valor and high-tailed it to Defiance. They claimed that they didn't know what had happened to Alak. And as Datak said to Amanda, under those circumstances Alak was probably dead.

(edited)

Re: the Nolan/Irisa situation

Agree with all those who said Nolan did ask her at the beginning of the episode if he would be able to count on her and her flippant response was "Don't be stupid." So I could understand if Nolan was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. 

The Syfy Defiance website has an after episode video called Inside Defiance where the cast and the EP talks about the episode. It's a good watch..definitely recommend it but at the end Grant and Steph talk about Irisa and Nolan, where their characters' mindsets are at. Basically Nolan views their partnership from an objective/professional perspective where as Irisa views their partnership from a very personal perspective, like their relationship is heavily based on her "performance". So even though Nolan is 100% right that Irisa shouldn't be in the field because of her PTSD, Irisa thinks of it as a personal affront as though he can't love her the same way if they're not partners (which is probably why she was reluctant to say anything was wrong in the first place). 

Loved Luke and Irisa bonding. Hopefully they'll get to spend more time together..maybe once Alak gets back in town. Also loved that first scene between Irisa and Nolan with all the sparring. "Daddy's reading." Too fucking cute!!!

Edited by Makenna

Gawd, between the rampant stupidity all the way around and the blatant racism, I think I'm done.  

Trusting Stahma -- ever.  Trusting Datask -- ever.  Haven't Nolan and Amanda met these two?  They will lie and cheat, and Stahma will lower her eyes and cry -- boo freakin' hoo.  I'd have shot them to pieces just for rolling through statis field.  

Then Stahma goes all Black on Blondes -- hee hee how funny.

Who is there to care about?  I hate Nolan, Irissa has been hit with the "All wimmins want to be mommies" bug, Amanda is just dumb, the Tarrs are back to square one.  Nuts to all of them.  

I loved the scenes with Shahma and Ihe Omec. It looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

I'm sure the Omec have the best "equipment" of all the races.  Can't let that stereotype go.

Love that Datak and Stahma can barely get through a single mission without biting each other's heads off, but still find a way to complete it.  

At least Berlin is still the Peacekeeper, it seems.  Unlike poor Tommy, who pretty much lost the job back to Nolan, once Nolan returned in Season Two.

So they've forgotten everything they've learned last season about how much better they work when they trust and support each other, and are back to totally stupid bickering.

Berlin has her job until Nolan decides he wants it again, at which point he'll probably shoot her.

The only false note for me was Amanda letting Datak off the hook so easily. She actually is ready to "move forward" on his assurance, his promise to put the town first? I can hardly stop laughing at the idea.

So freaking stupid.  She didn't even make him swear by anything he holds dear, much less want collateral.  Moron.

I think I'm done.

This show is so damn good it really reveals how mediocre some of my other summer fare is.

Irissa and Nolan are the strongest part of the show as per usual with Stahma rounding things out. I like that the show has Nolan being a realistically shitty parent at times. He loves Irissa but his emotional understanding could use a little work. Its a nice realistic flaw and very in keeping with both the Nolan's characters. They are work partners as well as parent/child and that balance does get thrown out of whack sometimes. I also like that the show is avoiding the cliche of Nolan being an overgrown child somehow making him an amazing parent. Sometimes he fucks up but since he is a fairly fucked up individual I think he actually does fairly well most of the time he just doesn't know how to deal with emotion beyond military "suck it up speeches".  I think more than anything Nolan was raised by the military and you see that in how he deals with Irissa.

I loved Irissa with Luke that was just adorable. I like that they didn't go for the "strong woman is allergic to babies" cliche. It does make sense that a foundling child like Irissa would have a soft spot for a fellow stray. I do wonder if they are trying to set up some kind of connection with Alak in future especially sine he was so glad to see her. Although I think at this point Alak is more terrified of Irissa than anything else.

That's something I would like to see change because of the whole Alak being held captive story though. Alak is way too much of mouse than is realistic to survive in this world. I do want him to survive Alak is an interesting character and a true child of the new world.   Plus his actor has done well with everything his been given.  Hopefully this experience will toughen him up and help him learn to survive. It interesting though that his story is an inversion of Irissa's . Where Nolan showed Irissa how to survive well but she had to learn how to relate to people on her own. Stahma overprotected Alak (cuz lets face Datak only noticed Alak when he was useful) that he is almost too open and easily led(Ironically mostly with Datak) and now has to learn to survive.

I like Stahma and the Omec. It was mostly exposition but I like the idea of there might be more than. Stahma is clearly losing patience with Datak and while she loves him I don't know if she likes him all that much anymore. I almost hoping that TPTB are toying with our expectations regarding the Omec and they turn out to be the good guys. That they deliberately created them to look scary but they actually end up being the ones to help end the wars.It would be more interesting than them turning out to be evil anyway.

• Love 1

I'm willing to handwave a lot. But Rahm having his spies basically expose themselves from jump street by including allowing the contaminated weapons stay in the armory is a foolish move. Maybe we're at an advantage, but how is it that the Defiance folks won't put it together that the shrill came from those guns?

Also, I get that his Casti pride might be hurting, but why on Earth would he have the Tarrs destroy the arch? There's propaganda value and f--- you value. But putting a big neon light on that says the VC have at least one inside man in town seems like a bad call.

Having now seen the episode, the go Omec thing is a little ridic. We can now add "horny as all get out, especially for white women" to the black stereotypes that the Omec seem to have grafted on them. I would hope that dude is just playing Stahma and is beyond her flirtations.

• Love 1

Datak said that he and Stahma and Alak were making a run for it, that he managed to pull Stahma into the roller they'd planned to escape in but that he lost track of Alak. They spent some time searching for him, but when it became day, they decided discretion was the better part of valor and high-tailed it to Defiance. They claimed that they didn't know what had happened to Alak. And as Datak said to Amanda, under those circumstances Alak was probably dead.

Thanks for that; I had forgotten completely. Even so, Nolan and Amanda should be suspicious. Datak isn't all that subtle and Stahma is looking more desperate these days. The weapons sabotage with shrill bugs was clearly no coincidence. When will Amanda put two and two together and realize that mysterious incidents started occuring the same time as the Tarrs' return.

This show is so damn good it really reveals how mediocre some of my other summer fare is.

I love this show more than any other on tv now. It's my favorite sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica and I'm including my fave 12 Monkeys, The 100 and every other popular sci-fi/fantasy offering out there. I don't understand why it hasn't gained a larger audience. I'd choose Defiance over any and every vampire/zombie/superhero/fairytale/angel-vs-demon show that clutters the bandwidth.

• Love 1

Datak does get to say "I had no idea there were shrill bugs in those weapons. Why would I have stolen them from the VC, much less tried to steal them from the armory and gotten arrested, if I knew they were shrill bugs in them?" (Which of course begs the question of how he got access to the armory in the first place, but I guess we handwave that because crime lord.)

But of course, it makes less than no sense for Datak and Stahma to act as agents of the VC except for plot. They know, or should know, that Rahm is a sadist and can't be trusted, and that there's a good chance that Alak is just dead anyway. It's probably better for them to have outed themselves as threatened by Rahm and play the both sides off each other so that whoever wins, they can say they helped the winning side. By throwing their eggs in the VC basket, they would normally face the wrath of Defiance should Defiance somehow win. 

• Love 1

I can't help but think that something's going to happen with Pilar and Rahm Tak.  I can't believe she's dead, but I also can't believe that she'll be able to escape from his forces (which are certainly going to do a thorough search around the camp).

I think that's been an ongoing problem with all the Castis.  The application of makeup tends to fade.  

Particularly when they eat (or maybe it's just Datak) - the lips get very pink.

I thought Irisa taking the baby had an element of practicality in a weird way. When they left, Pilar was chained and unable to take care of the baby, and no matter how chill, a baby needs tending to now and again. Plus if something went sideways (as it did), if the baby was with them there was no need to try to detour to the cabin.

Irisa's inability to kill was a negative in this case. Besides being PTSD, it seems to me that Irisa is extra empathetic, and Nolan is extra unfeeling. If that is true, perhaps it's due to the umbilical that connected them.

Laughed out loud at the Terminator shout out. I hate the character of Pilar, but I do like Linda Hamilton.