Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

On July 27, 2016 at 6:33 AM, topanga said:

Hmm. Didn't work for Sleepy Hollow. I'm not holding my breath for a good Season 3. 

Ohhh mah gawd... Rachel and/or Quinn will die to further Chet's "journey"!  Then in Season 3, we'll meet a woman with a "cute" kid who takes over where they left off!

• Love 2
(edited)

Just a friendly heads up. Shiri and Constance will be a guest on the View and Seth Meyers this Monday 8/1/16.

Heres something frustrating from the Entertainment Weekly article about the season 2 shooting episode. This is what SGS has to say about season the S2 slump. So basically she anticipated it. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/19/unreal-season-2-shooting-episode

The reaction to season 2 has been lukewarm compared to season 1, and some critics have said that the show’s working through a sophomore slump. Why do you think that is?

SHAPIRO: I think, for me, I was kind of anticipating it. I think that season 1 was so universally lauded, which was incredible and great for morale with the show, but I have seen that people tend to like to tear stuff down. I have even seen that with Mr. Robot, you know, people will find faults. That might be part of it, but I do think we’re burning through story really quickly in this season, and that UnREAL is a really fast, furious, young, wild show, and I think that people are either on board with it or they’re not and that’s totally fine. I
think what would be more of a bummer for me is if we had fallen asleep at the wheel and done something predictable and fallen into a pattern. It is a really big season, I sort of anticipated [the negative reaction].

Here's something funny about S2. It's a pod cast about S2. The host call season 2 the aufull terrible no good very bad second season of UnREAL. LOL they say that the season is so bad it may hurt Shiri's Emmy chances next year.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2016/07/unreal_season_2_ambush_review_police_shootings.html

Edited by earlbny

The Guardian today has a piece written by a journalist who nearly made it onto a reality show (for journalistic purposes) and is having nightmares watching UNREAL; she includes some awful experiences that have been had by reality show participants (about which I know nothing but what's in the article, as I've never watched any reality show): https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jul/29/reality-tv-love-island-zara-holland-miss-great-britain

• Love 1
4 hours ago, earlbny said:

The host call season 2 the aufull terrible no good very bad second season of UnREAL. LOL they say that the season is so bad it may hurt Shiri's Emmy chances next year.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2016/07/unreal_season_2_ambush_review_police_shootings.html

Haven't listened yet but if Shiri didn't breakthrough on the back of season one, I wouldn't even have her near the bubble for season two. 

(edited)
22 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Haven't listened yet but if Shiri didn't breakthrough on the back of season one, I wouldn't even have her near the bubble for season two. 

I hope it doesn't hurt her chances. Much like little girls standing in front of the mirror dreaming of there wedding day. I've been dreaming of the day Shiri wins an award. I read something from someone on another website about how S2 is so bad that it could hurt both Shiri and Constance careers. It's not there fault. They are doing the best with what they've been given to work with.

It's about time. It only took them 9 episodes. Lol One other thing. Rachel got beat up. Then drugged up. Then spent some time in a pysch ward and now she looks like Hot Rachel. 

Edited by earlbny

Both of those articles were spot on. Today was the final day of the UnREAL season 2 press tour.  I got to be in the audience for The View. I tried getting into Seth Meyers but my connection fell through and my wait list ticket was #41. So I headed home. As bad as Season 2 has been I have to give props to Shiri and Constance. They did the best they could with what they've been giving to work with in season 2. Shiri had a 5 hour delay last night but like a trooper she made the rounds promoting the show. Girl needs a gold star. Hopefully next season Marti will return and they can kiss and make up. 

In one of the Q&A's SGS did about the police shooting, she said she anticipated a sophmore slump. 

I am probably the only crazy fan who owns a 5ft UnREAL Season 2 subway poster. After all the money I spent on going to the press tour events, merch, plus the free promo I've done for this show all over the place they owe me an awesome S3. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

Here's something that frustrates me. Shiri and Constance were on 2 talk shows today promoting UnREAL. Neither of them talked about tonight's episode or the finale. Seth Meyers did a bit about the tattoos. Give the audience a reason to run into your show. Seth talked about the show but just that it was on Lifetime.

Edited by earlbny
2 hours ago, earlbny said:

Thanks for posting that video. I wish I got to go to that taping. I also wished they talked more about the season finale.

Maybe there's not much they can say about it without either revealing some (yet another) big surprise or acknowledging that the consensus is that the season is a dumpster fire. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I got the feeling from all the pre season interviews that Shiri & Constance were nervous about it - they kept saying it was messy, I just didn't know they were being completely honest at the time. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Maybe there's not much they can say about it without either revealing some (yet another) big surprise or acknowledging that the consensus is that the season is a dumpster fire. 

Probably true. Shiri and Constance both talked about the finale without giving anything away of course in couple different interviews. On a kind of separate note I happy they are makingn the rounds. For years Shiri never got asked to do talk shows. Next year they need to step it up. Move on up to the the big time and go on Jimmy Fallon, Ellen and host Saturday Night Live. I know the show/Shiri/Cinstance is not big enough or popular enough. Just a long time fantasy of mine for Shiri. Sigh!

32 minutes ago, basically said:

Yeah, I got the feeling from all the pre season interviews that Shiri & Constance were nervous about it - they kept saying it was messy, I just didn't know they were being completely honest at the time. 

I went to a lot of the season 2 press events and got the same vibe/feeling. Even BJ was kind of shy about talking about this season. He never jumped up and down screaming I am the 1st black Bachelor. We're going to make history. The only person that felt confident was SGS. She was beating her chest. I remember reading something from one of the many interviews Shiri and Constance did. I may  have even heard it in person. They both said they like when Rachel and Quinn are on the same team. I got the feeling they both agreed they did not like the direction of season 2. They had to put a smile on there faces be a team player.  They said it without actualy saying it.

• Love 3

Interesting about GGtD. The show is okay - carried by Edelstein and a way-too-underused Retta. Three more thirteen-episodes-per season seemed outlandish at the time it was announced, so I am glad to hear they are scaling back. The show needs a stronger focus and fewer distractions.

Wonder if Noxon going back will precipitate a SGS departure? It would probably be for the best. 

I think the best supporting actress catorgry was easier for Constance then the lead actress catorgry for Shiri. Personally I think they were a team. You can't have one without the other. Shiri got snubbed.

That's a good point about categories. It's a shame Shiri couldn't get in there for season 1 before the season 2 messiness and backlash took hold. Everyone didn't love Lea Michele in Glee, but I did, and as Rachel told Adam, sometimes you have a very small window.

Reading the Cosmo article is interesting because I feel like there was more finesse and intelligent emotional manipulation to the "producing" in season 1. And yet, the blunt producing in season 2 that seems too obvious to work on anyone is what this ex-Bachelor contestant is claiming SGS did. I guess the problem then is that they're being treated the same way. The blunt "negging" from Madison, Quinn, Rachel, etc. is being treated like Rachel's magic manipulative empathy in season 1 rather than the kind of blunt rudeness that would provoke someone into an emotional response that could then be edited a certain way to fit the narrative.

Re: The Ringer article

Part of me likes the fact that I've discovered some new actors via UnReal. I mean, it's not like they went for complete novices but I don't want it to be completely HBO prestige stunt casting. (Not that I think that's likely after season 2.) But a couple of big names or at least big talents to do the heavy lifting of an Adam/Anna/Ruby kind of role? I'm down for that.

Boo on coupling up Quinn and Rachel. I'm up for two of the contestants deciding they'd rather be together than with the suitor. I'm fine with introducing a lesbian couple in another way like with Faith. But season 3 is too early for fanfic-y desperation. Step 3 conveniently ignores how inconsistent this move would be with all the other dynamics in the Quinn/Rachel relationship. After season 2 we don't need more of this "shocking" decision making. I want the show that season 2 was supposed to be which was a new suitor and contestants with Quinn and Rachel running the show.

As for Step 4, I said something similar about the title of UnReal on another thread. There's no reason we need to stick to this formula/environment. That said, they could also write a narrative reason for Rachel to stick around Everlasting. They did it in season 1. There's no reason they can't do it again. It could be negative like she's blackmailed into staying. Or maybe she's tempted by the promise of some kind of power upgrade if she can fix the show.

• Love 1

Lots of defensive ass-covering in that interview. Including claims they had a lot more scenes with Darius and Romeo following the shooting that got cut for time. 

Shapiro says " Sometimes we’re almost a little too meta for our own good." And I roll my eyes into oblivion. If Marti Noxon isn't back next season, neither am I (even if she is, I'm 50/50). 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jenrising said:

Lots of defensive ass-covering in that interview. Including claims they had a lot more scenes with Darius and Romeo following the shooting that got cut for time. 

Shapiro says " Sometimes we’re almost a little too meta for our own good." And I roll my eyes into oblivion. If Marti Noxon isn't back next season, neither am I (even if she is, I'm 50/50). 

NYMag has a similar one where SGS and SR are just as defensive (the two interviews are basically redundant, since the women repeat themselves, down to the same phrasing). What strikes me is the distances SGS goes to share 'credit' in the writers' room, rejecting the notion that UnReal is an 'auteur' show. I don't actually think she's that modest; I think she just wants to spread the blame. Although in both the NYMag and the Hollywood Reporter interviews I think SR comes off more distastefully - but again SGS could have been hanging back and holding her tongue to offer up another shooting target besides herself. It bothers me that they both imply The New Yorker misreported the Lifetime mandate to make something work with Jeremy. I personally know how New Yorker articles are fact checked, and SGS and the showrunner (Carol B I believe was her name) would have confirmed their quotes when they are clearly resigning themselves to behaving like adult professionals and making a story for Jeremy at Lifetime's insistence when they clearly don't want to. 

I feel badly for the show's performers - the trainwreck of this season will put them on their back feet at the start of season 3, when they have to do press and all they will get asked is how they feel about the drubbing this season received from critics and fans. 

• Love 4

UnREAL is all about fun entertainment. Please...

Instead of promoting season 2 being about race, they should have promote season 2 being about white girl problems. During the press tour SGS had this big grin on her face and was pumping her fist with excitement that this season they have a black suitor. Also they had no time for a scene with Darius and Romeo after the shooting yet you time for a make out session with Quinn and Booth. So many failed things from season 2.

Carl B is the other show runners name. She's from the south so she made sure the southern story worked. 

SR rubs me the wrong way as well.

• Love 2

I think one of the big problems was the SGS (and the other producers to a certain extent) just wanted to be able to say "Look, we had a black bachelor before the actual ABC show!" and pat themselves on the back for it, but they didn't want to actually put in any work in figuring out how to effectively deal with race on the show.  I LOVED and agreed with Tara's line regarding Romeo in the final episode review:

If part of the point of doing what The Bachelor hasn't -- casting a black Bachelor -- was to give three dimensions to a non-white lead, UnREAL's treatment of Romeo is practically as offensive as any of the tokenism I've seen from Bachelor Nation.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I think one of the big problems was the SGS (and the other producers to a certain extent) just wanted to be able to say "Look, we had a black bachelor before the actual ABC show!" and pat themselves on the back for it, but they didn't want to actually put in any work in figuring out how to effectively deal with race on the show.  I LOVED and agreed with Tara's line regarding Romeo in the final episode review:

I went to a handful of press tour events for season 2. SGS was patting herself on the back at the events she attended.  I remember SGS wanting Darius to jump up and down going I am the 1st black suitor. He had to be forced to Jump up and down by SGS. During the the view interview with Shiri and Constance one of the host Shrri Shepherd said she had her own reality dating show and the suitor was black. It was as if your not the 1st and its not a big deal. SGS rubs me the wrong way. Just admit you made some big mistakes in season 2 and move on. Own up. They should be very lucky they did not pull a vinyl and cancel the show after they renewed it. Next season during the press tour all the questions will be about season 2. In season 3 she'll be patting herself on the back going we got the 1st whatever hasn't been done on the bachelor or bachelorette yet. Nothing they do moving toward will erase season 2. I would have been fine if during the season 2 press tour they said this season is about white girl problems. Or how the BLM movement effect white girls. They could have easily fit in a scene with Darius and Romeo after the shooting but chose not to.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 4

I would have been ok if they came out before the season started and said this season is about how the BLM moment effects Rachel and white people. Still not good but at least it's better then   What we got. SGS is just happy people are talking about it. If anything UnREAL thought us never do that on TV. 

Here's an article which calls the shooting a gimmick. I wouldn't mind if Rachel left and she got her own spin off show and we follow her new journey as she tries to get her life in order.

http://zap2it.com/2016/08/unreal-season-2-finale-jeremy-kills-coleman-yael-protect-rachel/

Edited by earlbny
19 minutes ago, earlbny said:

I would have been ok if they came out before the season started and said this season is about how the BLM moment effects Rachel and white people. Still not good but at least it's better then   What we got. SGS is just happy people are talking about it. If anything UnREAL thought us never do that on TV. 

I think that's the common thread that bugs me the most in the interviews. They all seem so proud of having "raised questions" or "started the discussion about complicated issues," as if that is all that's required from a television show. It's like standing on your soapbox and saying "Now, you people before me should all discuss this horrible thing that is happening in our society" then stepping off immediately with an air of "My Job Here Is Done." It leaves the audience thinking, "wow, what an asshole."

Yes. We get it, SGS et al. These issues are problematic in society. As a matter of fact, we already got it before you opened your mouths to tell us to think about them. Thank you for contributing exactly nothing to the subject.

SGS's "that's all I'll say about that" type answer in the Variety (I think?) article, illustrates that she's a real coward about having the actual discussion. She just wants to appear to be courageous by bringing it up, but it's really just virtue-signalling at its worst.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

I think that's the common thread that bugs me the most in the interviews. They all seem so proud of having "raised questions" or "started the discussion about complicated issues," as if that is all that's required from a television show. It's like standing on your soapbox and saying "Now, you people before me should all discuss this horrible thing that is happening in our society" then stepping off immediately with an air of "My Job Here Is Done." It leaves the audience thinking, "wow, what an asshole."

Yes. We get it, SGS et al. These issues are problematic in society. As a matter of fact, we already got it before you opened your mouths to tell us to think about them. Thank you for contributing exactly nothing to the subject.

SGS's "that's all I'll say about that" type answer in the Variety (I think?) article, illustrates that she's a real coward about having the actual discussion. She just wants to appear to be courageous by bringing it up, but it's really just virtue-signalling at its worst.

She also claims its not about shock value when in fact that's actually what is is. During the promos they say "The show everyone will be talking about". Who's everyone. If one of the late night talks shows went out on the street to talk to people about UnREAL people would be like What's UnREAL? If someone like Al Sharpton wanted to have a sit down to discuses the season would she do it? It's one thing to answer some question online but its another thing to do it in front of a room filled with 12 angry viewers.

Here's 3 more reviews. 

http://screenrant.com/unreal-season-2-finale-review/

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/9/12407736/unreal-finale-recap-friendly-fire-okay

Even Constance hated Rachel and Quinn being apart. Wink Wink season 2 was a slump but I am a team player and happy to have a job. 

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/unreal-finale-review-season-2-murder-season-3-1201714585/

Zimmer admitted as much in a post-finale interview with IndieWire:

I do think Rachel and Quinn will go into the next season bonded more than ever. I’m excited about that because I was really upset this season by how much Rachel and Quinn were at odds. I like them so much more when they are bonded – when they cannot leave each other’s side — and it kind of feels like that’s what’s going to happen.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

I do think Rachel and Quinn will go into the next season bonded more than ever. I’m excited about that because I was really upset this season by how much Rachel and Quinn were at odds. I like them so much more when they are bonded – when they cannot leave each other’s side — and it kind of feels like that’s what’s going to happen.

I read this awhile back so I knew, as I watched, that all would be well in the end and it was.  I liked this last episode.  Onward to the season 3 speculation thread!. 

Edited by wings707

I think one of the big problems was the SGS (and the other producers to a certain extent) just wanted to be able to say "Look, we had a black bachelor before the actual ABC show!" and pat themselves on the back for it, but they didn't want to actually put in any work in figuring out how to effectively deal with race on the show.

From a writing standpoint, I think another problem with having a black bachelor before the ABC show was that they didn't have a model. Not that they had a model for a lot of the nonsense storylines in season 1, but those weren't the most effective parts of the show anyway (which in my mind were the writing of Rachel and the producing parts). They didn't do a good job of imagining what it would be like to have a black suitor and then like Rachel and Coleman, they awkwardly forced the issue by calling the cops for the "stolen" car.

4 hours ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

So much this. For years there has been discussion about how very white washed The Bachelor is, so I'm not exactly sure what dialog she thinks the show has opened, especially give that they gave the black suiter very little storyline at all, used him as a prop and really didn't deal with how an audience might respond to having a black bachelor. I don't get what the point was other than them being able to say they did it, which is worse than not doing it at all.

I was expecting to see how having a black suiter was going to affect the show Everlasting, would it be more popular than ever, slip in the ratings, would the women picked be against the idea? Would production try to tip toe around racial issues for fear of perpetuating any stereotypes? Would they fear a mixed race result because it might alienate the bigoted portion of their audience?

Instead, this entire season could have been done exactly the same as it was with a white suiter. So good job on doing absolutely nothing groundbreaking show.

• Love 11