Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Unfortunately those comments and worse can be found on any social media. I guarantee the only reason they're not on this forum is bc they've banned political discussion. I'm actually surprised they've allowed as much commenting on it as they have.

• Love 2

Sigh, oh well, I didn't really expect the Raptors to be able to rattle off 3-4 straight vs the Celts (but I didn't expect them to do so last year vs the Bucks either, and that happened,) they're good and would eventually recover. 

Hopefully my boys can find some energy and push this to game 7.

Not over yet. Still the Champs. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Raptors really missing "Fun Guy" Kawhi. Kawhi had a bad game the other night but otherwise is one of the most consistent players I've ever seen. 

The Raptors would be Championship favourites if they still had Kawhi. I would like them over everyone in the league, easily. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

Rockets fan, so you can take my post from that perspective, but he is a key rotational player for the team and he is out two games in a playoff series for something the NBA has admitted they only have "circumstantial evidence" that he did (House opened his hotel door at some point during the night when the staffer was there.) House denied doing anything wrong and the female staffer didn't name or implicate House. 

The league wants their Lakers vs Clippers matchup, that much is obvious, but come on. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, cleo said:

Celtics deserved the win, congrats. Rooting for whoever can beat the Clips.

I don't think the Celtics deserved the win, but the Raptors definitely deserved the loss. 

This felt like the opposite of Game 6. Celtics tried to throw the game away by bricking their FTs, Raptors succeeded by just throwing the ball into traffic over and over. 

Disappointing Game 7, but glad it was at least close. Good Lucks Celts, I think you might need it against Miami.

Sigh, no longer the Champs. But were the Champs for over 400 days, and could be the Champs again in less than a year. So there's always that... 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well Danuel House has left the bubble after it was found the covid tester was in his hotel room for multiple hours. What's more, his wife deleted her instagram. 

Somehow, I'm not surprised about that. Oh well, its not like Danuel House would of made a difference between the Rockets winning or going home tonight. The rest of the sorry Rockets will be joining him after tonight. 

I wonder how much James Harden is going to suck tonight. He was his usual crappy self in Game 4. 21 "who cares" points while making only 2 of 11 shots & making only 1 3-pointer out of 6. He is not that good & he is damn sure not on the elite status level in the NBA. 

As for the Celtics - Heat, other than Tacko Fall (Celtics) & maybe Jimmy Butler (Heat), the rest of them are unrootable & downright loathsome.

11 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

I don't think the Celtics deserved the win, but the Raptors definitely deserved the loss. 

This felt like the opposite of Game 6. Celtics tried to throw the game away by bricking their FTs, Raptors succeeded by just throwing the ball into traffic over and over. 

Disappointing Game 7, but glad it was at least close. Good Lucks Celts, I think you might need it against Miami.

Sigh, no longer the Champs. But were the Champs for over 400 days, and could be the Champs again in less than a year. So there's always that... 

Nick Nurse made a few questionable choices. Siakum was obviously struggling a lot as was Gasol. Why he kept them in for so long is beyond me. Both teams seemed gassed and on their last legs. Understandable after a long hard fought series.

• Love 2

Yeah a lot of people are piling on Siakam but Nurse should have made some changes in the 4th quarter. I mean obviously, he should have. I just feel bad for Siakim. It's not like he deliberately set out to be bad.

• Love 1

The Lakers are the better team, which I don’t think is D’Antoni’s fault. When both Lebron and AD are on, they are difficult to beat.

Edited to say that he’s leaving Houston and declining a contract extension. Guess he didn’t want to get fired first?

Are the Clippers going to squander a 3-1 lead? They have a ton of talent but have looked bad the past two games.

Edited by twoods
3 hours ago, twoods said:

The Lakers are the better team, which I don’t think is D’Antoni’s fault. When both Lebron and AD are on, they are difficult to beat.

Edited to say that he’s leaving Houston and declining a contract extension. Guess he didn’t want to get fired first?

He deserved to be fired. Not getting it done against those Warriors a few times & falling flat on their faces against the Lakers. What a bunch of losers.

3 hours ago, twoods said:

Are the Clippers going to squander a 3-1 lead? They have a ton of talent but have looked bad the past two games.

1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well that and the Denver Nuggets are just an incredibly scrappy team. Love their fight. 

I know that LeBron & ESPN are laughing at them right now. I think Game 7 is 50/50. I wonder who ESPN is rooting for.

2 hours ago, Magog said:

He deserved to be fired. Not getting it done against those Warriors a few times & falling flat on their faces against the Lakers. What a bunch of losers.

Can we not call players we don't like "losers"? These are the very best players in a very competitive league. If they didn't have a good series (which they didn't) it doesn't mean they're losers. it just means they didn't have a good series.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Except the Yankees, and well, the Cowboys... 😉

That hurts.  

Well, half hurts.  You can call the Cowboys anything you want except “Cowgirls”.

Topic?  Oh, Game 7!  With all the eyeballs available to watch except for baseball fans.  It should bring in a good number.

• LOL 1
On 9/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Can we not call players we don't like "losers"? These are the very best players in a very competitive league. If they didn't have a good series (which they didn't) it doesn't mean they're losers. it just means they didn't have a good series.

Well, what about the Clippers? Up 3-1 in the series & are going to throw it all away. They just got their butts kicked 104-89 by those gutsy Nuggets. Kwahi Leonard (14 points going 6-20) & (especially) Playoff P (10 points going 4-13) not getting it done in Game 7. The rest of their bench wasn't much of a help tonight. Sweet Lou showed more effort at Magic City in Atlanta than he did in the whole series (7 points tonight). Doc Rivers should not be getting much sleep for a long while. That is the 3rd time he choked a 3-1 lead in the Playoffs.

And I don't want hear anything about the Clippers franchise being cursed. The sports teams in Cleveland (except for the Cavaliers since 2016) are cursed. 

Maybe the Nuggets can somehow push the Lakers to 6 games. 

Edited by Magog
22 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

I swear I'm not at all salty about Kawhi leaving my team to go home, but it was pretty satisfying to see Jamal Murray of Kitchener, Ontario send him packing in the second round. 

I'm officially on the Nuggets bandwagon until this ride ends. 

On twitter and redditverse there's a lot of hatred today for Fun Guy Kawhi from both the Spurs and Raptors fans. Apparently Spurs fans are still mad that he sat out on an injury for longer than he needed to to force a trade and also ghosted Pop and Tim Duncan in the off-season. And Raptors fans are upset that he left as well.

And then Clippers fans are mad that because of that leg injury he had he sat out 1 out of every 3 games and they think that by doing that the team burned out Paul George and Patrick Beverly. 

So yeah, not a good day overall for fun guy Kawhi. Also I just learned about the evils of Kawhi's Uncle Dennis today.

Edited by Growsonwalls
9 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

On twitter and redditverse there's a lot of hatred today for Fun Guy Kawhi from both the Spurs and Raptors fans. Apparently Spurs fans are still mad that he sat out on an injury for longer than he needed to to force a trade and also ghosted Pop and Tim Duncan in the off-season. And Raptors fans are upset that he left as well.

And then Clippers fans are mad that because of that leg injury he had he sat out 1 out of every 3 games and they think that by doing that the team burned out Paul George and Patrick Beverly. 

So yeah, not a good day overall for fun guy Kawhi. Also I just learned about the evils of Kawhi's Uncle Dennis today.

Spurs fans are gonna be salty forever, they think he faked his injury and then forced his way out of San Antonio. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but they are gonna be salty about Kawhi forever. He left and all they got was DeMar DeRozan, and I love DeMar, but I can see how they feel shortchanged. 

Raptors fans are a bit different, at the time he left I don't think there were any hard feelings, he came in, was honest about his intentions, played his hardest, and we won our first NBA title. We were all grateful he put in his all even though Toronto obviously wasn't his first choice for a destination. I think every fan I know was like "Thanks for the chip, good luck in LA." But then two things happened

1) The Raptors were good this season, and not just good but like Championship contention good, and now all we can think about is "If we were just a little better we'd be in the conference finals probably up one game on the Heat." That obviously makes us think that if Kawhi could've just gotten it together and delayed his homecoming and signed even a one year deal here, we'd be facing a potential back-to-back scenario. Not to mention the fact that it recently came out that Kawhi left not only cause he wanted to go home, but because he didn't think Toronto was good enough to repeat, a fact that obviously didn't turn out to be true. All that definitely soured Raptors fans on Kawhi a bit. 

2) The Clippers are just so unbearably unlikable this year. Before they were the kicked puppy of the NBA, we all rooted for them. I was even thankful Kawhi picked them over the Lakers because I felt like I could root for his success a little. But then they told Steph Curry that they'd be running the league for the next 5 years, and then they trolled the most likable man in the NBA in Dame Lillard for no reason, and then they trolled the second most likable man in the NBA in Luka Doncic because he dared to put up a fight in the first round, and then they called Jokic a flopper and took a SECOND shot at Luka just to be the least gracious winner of a first round series ever. To be fair most of this was Patrick Beverly (and a little Paul George) but all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the whole team. So when they finally fell flat on their faces, it was so easy to cheer. I remember someone saying the Clippers loss was like Nuggets Christmas, and Lakers Christmas, and Raptors Christmas, and Trail Blazers Christmas and Mavericks Christmas and Spurs Christmas and Thunder Christmas all wrapped into one. They were the league's heel and we were glad to see them go down. It's almost remarkable in one season the Clippers went from one the league's most likable teams, to maybe the most hated team in the league (yes more than the Lakers) and all it took was Patrick Beverly thinking they had a shot at the title and not being able to shut his damn mouth about it. 

Last year the Raptors emulated Kawhi, they took his serious attitude and didn't even think about celebrating until after the bag was secured, and it paid off in spades. The Clippers went the opposite route and used Patrick Beverly and Paul George as their models and started celebrating as soon as Kawhi and Paul George landed at LAX, and they got what was coming to them and everyone in the league cheered as it went down. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 7

New era, new players, same old Clippers

Paul George left Indiana with criticisms that they were not putting together a team that could win a title or contend.  Since then, two years in OKC lost in the first round and one year with the Clippers, lost in round two and blew a 3-1 series lead as he played pretty dreadful. 

Maybe PG should worry about improving his game instead of the team trying to help him win a title. 

Third time a Doc Rivers team has blown a 3-1 series lead in the playoffs. 

Kawhi should have stayed in Toronto.  Leaving a championship team for what you perceive as greener pastures is stupid. 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 12:37 AM, Maximum Taco said:

I swear I'm not at all salty about Kawhi leaving my team to go home, but it was pretty satisfying to see Jamal Murray of Kitchener, Ontario send him packing in the second round. 

I'm officially on the Nuggets bandwagon until this ride ends. 

I'd like to see the Nuggets win, though I also like Boston because of Kemba Walker and Brad Stephens. 

• Love 2

I'm a Raptors fan and I wasn't mad he left, but I wasn't overly impressed with how he left. I do think he trolled fans a little bit before the decision was made and I think he used the team to push OKC into acting.

I'm glad the Clippers lost.

I actually don't follow basketball that closely but the quotes from the Clippers after their losing games in the playoffs really made them sound like a lazy team that just assumed they were so good that when it mattered they could pull it off. One of the quotes was about how they relied too much about 'being good on paper'. I think that was Kawhi himself that said that.

Edited by cleo
On 9/17/2020 at 9:16 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Kawhi should have stayed in Toronto.  Leaving a championship team for what you perceive as greener pastures is stupid. 

If basketball is all that matters then sure.  But for other stuff there's a huge difference between LA and Toronto, even if all you care about is walking outside in January without 5 layers of clothes.   Besides, nothing builds a legacy better than winning titles in multiple locations. Throw in the fact that it's the league's biggest punchline and he'd be upper echelon for sure.

But in any case, fans of the teams that lost can always say this year doesn't really count.  In my opinion no home court really hurt teams like Milwaukee and the Clippers. 

Totally random question, but who was the white player doing an interview after Thursday night’s game? He was talking about not being afraid to step up in big moments. If I hadn’t seen his face, I would’ve thought he was black. Not a white guy trying to sound black, but someone who’s obviously spent a lot of time around black people.  No connotations—he just sounded black. 

1 hour ago, topanga said:

Totally random question, but who was the white player doing an interview after Thursday night’s game? He was talking about not being afraid to step up in big moments. If I hadn’t seen his face, I would’ve thought he was black. Not a white guy trying to sound black, but someone who’s obviously spent a lot of time around black people.  No connotations—he just sounded black. 

I think it's Tyler Herro. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

If basketball is all that matters then sure.  But for other stuff there's a huge difference between LA and Toronto, even if all you care about is walking outside in January without 5 layers of clothes.   Besides, nothing builds a legacy better than winning titles in multiple locations. Throw in the fact that it's the league's biggest punchline and he'd be upper echelon for sure.

But in any case, fans of the teams that lost can always say this year doesn't really count.  In my opinion no home court really hurt teams like Milwaukee and the Clippers. 

It's rare to win titles as a leading player on multiple teams in any sport.  Yes great if you can do it but just rare to do.  Much more like to stay in one place that's already win and keep winning.  Maybe 10 players that have done that, again in any sport.  Manning won titles in Indy and denver. Kareem did it in Milwaukee and LA.  Rodman did it with detroit and chicago. Lebron.  I think dennis johnson did it but he was not a primary or secondary player in Boston.  Even wayne gretzky couldn't do it, never won a title after edmonton. There are some others but they are more secondary players   but it just doesn't happen often. Probably more in baseball with pitchers.  If he stayed in Toronto and kept winning his odds were much higher if multiple titles and a legacy that way

If being in LA is more important to him than winning, fine, but then that just proves he really isn't one of the greats in my opinion. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think it's Tyler Herro. 

Thanks. You sent me down a YouTube rabbit hole watching Miami Heat interviews. The team seems to have great chemistry, both on and off the court. I’d like to see them in the Finals. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

If being in LA is more important to him than winning, fine, but then that just proves he really isn't one of the greats in my opinion. 

So do you ding Michael Jordan for taking time off in the middle of what became a dynastic run?

Everyone has different priorities. Very few NBA superstars have the insane need to win and competitive drive of Michael Jordan. Maybe Kobe Bryant did.

However after watching The Last Dance I didn't envy MJ and don't think he should be a role model for all NBA players. He was so miserable, petty and unhappy despite all the championship rings. Did he actually enjoy basketball or was he just obsessed with winning?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Everyone has different priorities. Very few NBA superstars have the insane need to win and competitive drive of Michael Jordan. Maybe Kobe Bryant did.

However after watching The Last Dance I didn't envy MJ and don't think he should be a role model for all NBA players. He was so miserable, petty and unhappy despite all the championship rings. Did he actually enjoy basketball or was he just obsessed with winning?

Of course everyone has different priorities.   But if you choose to live in la over Toronto and make that a priority over winning more titles, it's going to affect your legacy and how you are viewed as a player.    

Just being free to make choices doesn't mean you escape the consequences of those choices.  

Kobe and shaq chose to not stay together in LA. If they had kobe likely gets a 6th title to tie jordan.  Or a seventh to beat him.  But they made the choice. 

I would bet what you are saying about jordan also applies to bill belicik. But he is still the best coach in nfl history. and I don't even like him.