Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

JR Smith is also complaining about the tiny blanket they gave him. He said "I know Bron ain't got this." Hee. I mean, it is a tiny blanket for an NBA star. They're kind of like human redwood trees. Big guys.

• LOL 5

I'm glad that the guys are keeping their sense of humor and trying to make the best of a very bad situation. I too don't know what Disney is thinking with those meals. These are NBA players, not astronauts. 😲😜😂

• Love 3
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I'm glad that the guys are keeping their sense of humor and trying to make the best of a very bad situation. I too don't know what Disney is thinking with those meals. These are NBA players, not astronauts. 😲😜😂

The NBA players are getting roasted by Disney fans for complaining about their accommodations. I think the meals are too small for them and trying to fit an NBA player into a queen sized bed is like fitting an adult into a child's bed. I don't know why Disney didn't try to find larger beds for them.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

The NBA players are getting roasted by Disney fans for complaining about their accommodations. I think the meals are too small for them and trying to fit an NBA player into a queen sized bed is like fitting an adult into a child's bed. I don't know why Disney didn't try to find larger beds for them.

I looked at those meals and yeah, for an average person the meals look kind of skimpy. The single chicken breast and two tiny salads and the snacks and fries? But the average height for an NBA player is 6'8". That's just not enough food. I'm having tons of fun watching these videos. I think these guys are funny. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Plus, Disney has known for how long that they would be hosting the NBA? They've had more than enough time to get big enough beds and decent sized meals for these guys.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

This is 1) a farce and 2) an irresponsible health risk, and it's only happening because Bron-bron wants another ring.

Well it's also because if they don't do it the NBA will lose a lot of money in terms of TV revenue ...

• Love 5
13 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm not going to fault the players for complaining, they are not normal sized people to begin with and all they are doing is practicing, which burns tons of calories. Disney and the teams need to step up with the food and stuff like beds. I can't imagine trying to sleep on a bed with half my legs hanging off.

• Love 11

Ok according to reliable twitter and reddit sources two Rockets tested positive and thus didn't travel to Orlando. The only ones who didn't travel to Orlando were Russ and James Harden so we can assume those were the two positive tests. Get well soon.

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I hope Matisse keeps doing videos, he is a natural on camera and I love the behind the scenes look at things. I wonder if he edits his videos himself? 

I think he said he does. I love these bubble videos. NBA players behind the multi-million contracts and shoe deals are really just young guys and it's cute to see them get excited over snacks, beer, board games, video games, and jealous over another team's bus. 

• Love 4

On last Thursday's Inside the NBA, Charles Barkley GUARANTEED! that he would not  come in last in his upcoming celebrity golf tournament.

He did not finish last. He finished in third to last. He would have been second to last, but Tony Romo had to withdraw because of injury.

• LOL 4

Well the Matisse videos show that the Sixers have a rather chill vibe and they're pretty nice to the rookie. A behind the scenes video of Kobe's Lakers or MJ's Bulls would probably be a lot more neurotic to watch.

Watching these guys duck through doorways in the BTS snaps reminds me of how huge these guys are. Wow.

• Love 3
(edited)

The WNBA is really screwing up this Elena Delle Donne situation. It's not like she's trying to fake an ailment.

ETA I see that Rudy Gobert is complaining about the "snitch line." He's probably the last player who should be complaining about public health rules for covid.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

I see that Rudy Gobert is complaining about the "snitch line." He's probably the last player who should be complaining about public health rules for covid.

He's the absolute LAST person who should complain!!!

• Love 5

Glen Taylor is looking for buyers for the Minnesota Timberwolves, or at least investors. My guess is that he wants the franchise established with a new ownership group before he dies. (Not that he is ill or dying but he is older. And it's a good idea to get these things taken care of.) Anyhow Kevin Garnett may be one of the owners!! Question: if he retired his number in Boston can he also retire it in Minnesota? If he is an owner, it would be good to see his jersey #21 up on the wall. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Glen Taylor is looking for buyers for the Minnesota Timberwolves, or at least investors. My guess is that he wants the franchise established with a new ownership group before he dies. (Not that he is ill or dying but he is older. And it's a good idea to get these things taken care of.) Anyhow Kevin Garnett may be one of the owners!! Question: if he retired his number in Boston can he also retire it in Minnesota? If he is an owner, it would be good to see his jersey #21 up on the wall. 

Yes many players have multiple numbers retired in different franchises. For instance Wilt Chamberlain's #13 is retired both for the Sixers and Lakers. Dr J's #32 was retired by the Nets and #6 by the Sixers. Shaq;s 32 was retired by the Heat and 34 by the Lakers.

It's exciting news that Garnett might own the Timberwolves. 

In other news, Russell Westbrook has arrived in the bubble:

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 1

Omg so how is it that until last night I have not seen the basketball cult classic "Fish That Saved Pittsburgh?" It's hilarious. Dr. J plays "Moses Guthrie" a sulky star of a losing team. They form a ragtag basketball team based on astrological sign (Pisces) and because they're all compatible they win ... or something. There's a great vintage 70s R&B soundtrack and Dr. J's acting is so bad it's good. The real Julius Erving is indeed a Pisces. Lots of cameos by other 70s NBA greats including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Check it out. It's amazing. Dr. J's afro is pretty cool looking.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Omg so how is it that until last night I have not seen the basketball cult classic "Fish That Saved Pittsburgh?"

I was at the Civic Arena when they filmed scenes from the championship game! My dad took my brothers and me. It was actually kind of boring because we were there when they were filming the non-basketball scenes. This was back when the NBA was an afterthought on national TV and I wasn't that into the sport so I had no idea the sheer amount of talent that was on the court. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I was at the Civic Arena when they filmed scenes from the championship game! My dad took my brothers and me. It was actually kind of boring because we were there when they were filming the non-basketball scenes. This was back when the NBA was an afterthought on national TV and I wasn't that into the sport so I had no idea the sheer amount of talent that was on the court. 

Omg that's so cool! 

One thing when I look at vintage NBA games is that those guys were simply born in the wrong era. Many of the stars were good-looking guys with a lot of charisma but ... well ... in the 1960's and 70's I don't think the US was ready to embrace a "black" game. 

If these guys were born today they'd have millions of social media followers and tons of endorsements.

Some of the guys I think with their good looks and flashy plays would have been HUGE today.

Elgin Baylor, known for his "hang time" and had the nickname "Rabbit" because of his speed:

ee5d4b1fb21a16c95439bc64a6772c83.jpg

Dr. J with his cooler-than-cool Dr. Jfro. Before MJ there was Dr. J with his foul-line dunk. Of course if MJ reads this he'll definitely take this personal:

823037920.jpg.jpg

Walt "Clyde" Frazier. He was probably pretty cool back then:

clyde_for_social_site.jpg?w=756&h=450

• Love 5

Ugh, NBA and China. The way I view it, the NBA is just another lucrative company that can't do the right thing when it comes to China. It has plenty of company -- Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Nike, etc. If it took a stand on China it'd be leaving billions on the table. So it's depressing but maybe a larger corporate shift has to occur. Walmart, Apple, etc also have to take a stand on human rights abuses in China before the NBA will move the needle. 

Here is a reddit AMA with The Last Dance's director

There was a twitter beef today between Andre Igoudala and Aerial Powers.

• Love 1

I'm watching Utah and New Orleans and the announcers just said the players were allowed to pick words or phrases that meant something to them and put them on the back of their jerseys. I've seen "Peace", "Freedom", and "Say Her Name" so far. That is so cool.

• Love 5

I super appreciate what the NBA has done and their fight for equality is heartwarming....but I need names.  I’m not quite enough of a fan to know these guys by sight, unless they went to Duke or are a Ball.

Also, as I feared, the squeaking sneakers are driving me bonkers.

• Love 2

Here's a question that I'm not sure anyone in charge has answered: the go-to policy for the eighth seed in each conference is that if the #9 seed is in within four (4) games of #8 seed, there will be some form of "play-in games" to see who gets the eighth seed. This might not be a problem in the eastern conference, but the western conference is jumbled. Portland, Sacramento, New Orleans and San Antonio are all within four games of #8 Memphis right now. Phoenix is within 1.5 games of the other four. 

So, what happens if more than one team is within the requisite four games of the #8 seed?  

Career game for TJ Warren.  And really needed because Sabonis was out, Brogdon was out and Turner was awful and in foul trouble.  Hopefully TJ can keep that up.  Embiid killed the Pacers again, they've never had a good answer for him.  

Heh this was the Sunday afternoon social media funny I needed:

As for the kneeling/standing thing I also wish it hadn't become this huge media circus. Charles  Barkley did remind everyone that just because you don't kneel doesn't mean you're a bad person.

I do think however that if you don't support BLM, you probably shouldn't be working in the NBA however. I'm not talking about the organization but rather the movement. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Heh this was the Sunday afternoon social media funny I needed:

As for the kneeling/standing thing I also wish it hadn't become this huge media circus. Charles  Barkley did remind everyone that just because you don't kneel doesn't mean you're a bad person.

I do think however that if you don't support BLM, you probably shouldn't be working in the NBA however. I'm not talking about the organization but rather the movement. 

But how do you separate the organization from the movement and make that clear just based on if you kneel or not before a game?  

I have never cared one bit what these players, or the NFL players, do during the national anthem.  I am not a kapernick fan as a player.  I never hated him but also never thought he was very good and he plays for a team I don't really like. But he can do what he wants during a two minute song prior to a game.  And honestly until Kaepernick starting kneeling, I never paid one bit of attention to what they do.  I could have sworn some of them probably kneeled before he did it.  If someone told me they did, I couldn't argue otherwise. 

When I say, " I don't care". I don't mean I don't care about the movement. I mean 

1.  They have a right to express their opinion as individuals how they choose and

2.  It makes no difference to me what they do in terms of if I watch or don't watch.  

As a fan I care about a hundred other things in terms of what these players do on and off the court before kneeling during the anthem

And that goes both ways.........there were numerous articles I saw about whats his name NOT kneeling before the game.  Most of them critical.  Now I get it, its journalism, we live in a click bait culture and media environment and writing those articles I am sure generates web traffic, so its easy to do to up your "hits" or whatever they call it for journalists.  And also the played the game of "Well its not that he did it but he didn't give a good reason for it"

Still though, in the end, he has a right to not kneel and doesn't really have to explain himself or justify if to anyone if he so chooses.  That is the country we live in and one of the things the very flag we are talking about stands for, freedom of choice.

I work with many people every day who I don't agree with on political and personal things.  And I don't chastise them for it or hate them for it.   Its called being an adult.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think they should kneel if they want, but the larger question is why do we bother playing the anthem for everything?

Tradition for one

But for another, to remind two teams and fandoms that while we act otherwise sometimes, especially as fans, its still a game and before and after that game, we are all part of the same country and community.  Its a reminder to leave the battling and animosity on the field/court and afterwards, we all are part of a larger group with common goals.  We are not enemies off the court, just on it.  

• Love 3