Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

The more recognisable and extremely high profile people there are protesting, the less likely it might be that the police may decide to just start assaulting people. Then again, their tactics seem to be designed to cow everyone, from rioters to protesters to the press, into obedience, and I'm sure some of them would relish being able to beat up an "uppity" athlete or celebrity.

• Love 12
(edited)

Steph Curry also went to go protest in Oakland today. You can hear his voice in the background:

Can I just say how awesome past and current NBA players are being about this? I've followed a ton of SM accounts and there hasn't just been talk -- many of them are actually out there protesting. There's been no NBA version of Drew Brees.

His wife Ayesha also posted something real thought-provoking about how huge the parades were for the GS warrriors compared to how small the crowds are for BLM and how it's sad that people come to parades celebrating a (mostly) black team win the championships but don't turn out in equal amounts for BLM.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

NBA return @ Disney schedule.

June 15: Players currently outside the United States return to home market

June 21: All players return to home market

June 22: Testing for COVID-19 begins

June 30: Training camp begins

July 7: All teams travel to Orlando

July 31: Season resumes

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nbpa-approves-plan-to-resume-nba-season-at-disney-world-sets-plan-for-coronavirus-testing/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/sports/basketball/disney-world-nba-sports-complex.html

They also apparently aren't allowed to leave the complex. Due to Covid, they don't want them going on rides or visiting Space Mountain on their free time.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's a long interview with James Worthy. Really good, entertaining interview. He says that only Russ Westbrook and (RIP) Kobe Bryant had MJ's "meanness" and killer instinct. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 1

I’m starting to become anti-bubble.

If they can’t do their jobs on their home courts while living at home, or travel via team or private plane to play on an away court, is it really worth it?  If you have to go through this many hoops to play for a month it’s starting to seem increasingly ridiculous. 

This isn’t like jobs where people could pivot to work at home.  There are so many logistics it just seems silly.

• Love 6
On 6/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, mojoween said:

WHY is it important for Ben Simmons to have a perimeter game?  Can’t he just bang around on the interior?

Personally, I think it's the difference between him being a very good player and a great player. We're not talking about him becoming a Steph Curry type bomber, just attempting a handful of shots a game. That's one of the things Giannis worked on that helped elevate his game to MVP levels. 

What makes it especially frustrating is that he doesn't even try in games, despite reports that he routinely shoots them in practice. In 213 games he's only attempted 23 threes. (And a lot of those were buzzer beater attempts he had to take.)

• Useful 4

So I'm reading Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball. It's a great quarantine read. 700 pages, but chock full of insights. Disclaimer: Bill Simmons is not an impartial observer nor does he pretend to be one. He writes as a huge fan of the Celtics, so obviously anyone who suited up in green and white will get pride of place, and Laker players get grudging respect (if that). But still, a book full of info and humor. He also does a FULL history of basketball, and doesn't just start in the 1970's with the ABA/NBA merger (which is when i find most basketball writers think the game really began). And there's some really special stories that I did not know about but broke my heart. One is Maurice Stokes. Holy shit, what a tragedy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ok random thought bubble: does anyone think that the reason Lebron James seems relatively injury proof is that unlike most NBA players he doesn't have abnormally long, thin legs (walking on stilts)? His legs are short and sturdy compared to his extremely long, block-like torso.

As an example, compare him to Steph Curry: Lebron is much taller but his legs are almost the same height.

lebron-steph-2.jpg

Curry for all his enormous gifts has glass ankles and needs ankle braces and still seems to twist his ankle at least once or twice a season. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m starting to become anti-bubble.

If they can’t do their jobs on their home courts while living at home, or travel via team or private plane to play on an away court, is it really worth it?  If you have to go through this many hoops to play for a month it’s starting to seem increasingly ridiculous. 

This isn’t like jobs where people could pivot to work at home.  There are so many logistics it just seems silly.

Agreed. In basketball and football, the players are all over and on top of each other. At least in baseball, you have some element of distancing - and of course, that's the sport still in limbo because the owners and players union still can't come to an agreement. 😠😠😠😠😠

• Love 3
(edited)

I'll be honest, selfishly, I'm so desperate for sports, I am okay with the bubble. But in reality, yeah, I worry that if one asymptomatic player (and I've read that there can still be a lot of false positives with testing) somehow plays, it could be bad for so many players and coaches, bubble or not. I haven't heard much from the players and teams who will play so far, is there any grumbling or worry from them?

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1

Some players are saying they won't play, but no specifics on who

Supposedly the risk of asymptomatic transfer is low, according to the latest data from just last week

I am interested to see how the playoffs go with this arrangement, see if there are any surprises or unexpected results in this format vs the usual playoff set up

I'm a little worried for basketball players because so many of them seem to run into heart problems. Big guys, it's a strain for a heart to support someone who is 6'10". We know that a comorbidity of covid is heart disease. I'm worried a player will enter the bubble, be asymptomatic, but then have a heart attack the way many with covid seem to do. 

I believe Moses Malone, Dennis Johnson, Darryl Dawkins and Wilt Chamberlain all died of a heart attack. 

Super enjoyable vintage interview with Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain:

Both men have a wonderful sense of humor. Both talk about their free throw woes -- before Hack'a'Shaq was an official strategy it seems as if Hack-a-Russ and Hack-A-Wilt were commonly employed. I wonder why so many of the bigger guys seem to have trouble with FT's. It extends to the present day where Lebron James admits that he's "garbage" at the line as well.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Four years ago at right about this time, the Cavs broke Cleveland's 52-year championship drought and plans were underway for the celebratory parade. How times have changed. 😭

Yup, it was my shittiest birthday ever. 😭

• LOL 4
On 6/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, catlover79 said:

Four years ago at right about this time, the Cavs broke Cleveland's 52-year championship drought and plans were underway for the celebratory parade. How times have changed. 😭

Those were the good old days. That was one of the happiest moments of my life. Seeing that 73 win season going down in flames. I still know that ESPN is still very angry at that moment. Man, I miss those days. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

One of the great "what could have beens" was if a healthy Curry had been in the finals.

For me the great “what could have been” was the year before when the Cavs lost just about everyone to injury, but still took the finals with the Warriors to six games.

• Love 4
(edited)

I;m watching the various episodes of Basketball: A Love Story on ESPN, and do hoopers have some anti-aging elixir or something?  I'm amazed at all these old timers in their 70's and 80's looking 30 years younger. They still have that ramrod posture and lively spirit. 

Like no offense but Aaron Rodgers looks much older than many of these guys who are actually 30, 40 years older. 

Like here's an interview of Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe. Both looking dapper and fabulous still.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 4

Multiple players are coming out as having tested positive. Four players on the Suns, players on other teams, Nikola Jokic of Denver is apparently in Serbia and can't yet come back to the US, and the bubble is going to be in Florida which is one of the four main hot spots in the country currently. I don't know how this can realistically work.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Multiple players are coming out as having tested positive. Four players on the Suns, players on other teams, Nikola Jokic of Denver is apparently in Serbia and can't yet come back to the US, and the bubble is going to be in Florida which is one of the four main hot spots in the country currently. I don't know how this can realistically work.

I was wondering how that was going to work/if there'd be travel exceptions for non-resident players. I guess not.

Of the frivolous things the virus has ruined, I am sad Vince Carter did not get a proper sendoff.

I am confused about something.  Maya Moore and Renee Montgomery are celebrated for stopping play to focus on social justice issues.  Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard are ridiculed because they would rather focus on social justice than play in the bubble.  Is it because people just don’t like Kyrie and Dwight very much?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Of the frivolous things the virus has ruined, I am sad Vince Carter did not get a proper sendoff.

I am confused about something.  Maya Moore and Renee Montgomery are celebrated for stopping play to focus on social justice issues.  Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard are ridiculed because they would rather focus on social justice than play in the bubble.  Is it because people just don’t like Kyrie and Dwight very much?

Think it's a weird double standard -- WNBA players aren't expected to have the same level of Michael-Jordan-like "win at all costs" zeal for the game as the guys. Also I think while many NBA superstars do speak out about social issues there's unfortunately more of a "shut up and dribble" attitude towards black male superstars. 😞

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard are ridiculed because they would rather focus on social justice than play in the bubble.  Is it because people just don’t like Kyrie and Dwight very much?

Kyrie Irving is not the best choice for that message. He's a conspiracy theorist (dabbled in Flat Eartherism). Other players in the league question his sudden interest in player issues (last year, out of the blue, he asked to be made a VP in the union). He wouldn't be playing anyway because of injury. Going into the big conference call, he was primarily interested in being allowed into the bubble to cheer his teammates. 

Had it been someone else, not necessarily a star, but someone with more gravitas, they probably wouldn't have been the target of skepticism. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Watched another super-enjoyable 30-for-30 "When the Garden Was Eden" about the 1970's Knicks. I loved the whole documentary -- all those guys sound like guys I'd love to hear their stories. I laughed out loud when Walt Frazier talked about why he dressed the way he did: "As a rookie I wasn't playing up to expectation so to pacify myself I'd go shopping. I'd come back to my room and look in the mirror and say well I'm not playing good but I look good." LOL. That's such a me thing to do.

And 50 years later, they still love kicking it:

Edited by Growsonwalls

I would hope not, considering we are getting all these recent positives before the bubble even starts. And then there is Jabari Parker, who after testing positive was allegedly not quarantining and playing tennis out in Chicago...

(edited)

Uh according to some twitter sources James Harden has tested positive for covid?

ETA: nvm it was just rumors. Although he and Russell Westbrook did not travel to Orlando today with the rest of the Rockets.

Edited by Growsonwalls

I don't follow soccer closely but they are trying something similar to the NBA and two whole teams were taken out of the mix recently because of multiple positive covid cases. 

This could turn out bad for the NBA if something similar happens.  May turn into more a survival of the fittest by avoiding infection rather than who is the best team

9 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Joel Embiid complaining about the food. I have to remember he's 7 feet tall so ... yeah, that food isn't enough.

And he's an athlete who burns up a ton of calories doing his job.

They gave him one chicken breast but two (tiny) salads. 😂

On a more serious note, I'm familiar with some of the things that hotels in Manhattan did housing medical personnel during the height of the pandemic. I know Disney can do better.

• Love 4