Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Awful news: Jonathan Isaac has suffered a torn ACL. 😞 

The Rockets are looking amazing. Speaking of which, why does social media hate Russell Westbrook? He seems like a pretty great player and a good guy.

Edited by Growsonwalls

TJ Warren again yesterday for the Pacers, 35 points in a win.  He is lighting it up in the restart.  

Pacers look to be in the 4-5 slot and playing the Heat or Celtics, more likely the Heat.  Which means even if they win a second round match up with Milwaukee.  

it does take some of the excitement out of it all when it really doesn't matter if a team is the 4 or 5 seed.  

I watched the 76er's game today on the NBA network (because I've been charmed by Thybulle and his on-camera teammates, tbh) and the announcing was just awful. The announcers kept talking over each other, one sounded like he was in an echoing basement and he was SO LOUD, they kept randomly cutting to three people who had hosted a pre-game show and they never seemed to be talking about the live game going on, etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I watched the 76er's game today on the NBA network (because I've been charmed by Thybulle and his on-camera teammates, tbh) and the announcing was just awful. The announcers kept talking over each other, one sounded like he was in an echoing basement and he was SO LOUD, they kept randomly cutting to three people who had hosted a pre-game show and they never seemed to be talking about the live game going on, etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. 

I also watched the 76'ers game and I was surprised that Tobias Harris and Matisse who are so funny and jolly off the court are so serious and intense when they play. I guess it makes sense, but their game faces were definitely very different.

I've been watching a variety of bubble teams and honestly not a single bad team. The playoffs should be amazing. I love watching the Rockets the most. A very small but scrappy team.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 2

Memphis is 0-4 so far in the bubble and their remaining games are against OKC, Toronto, Boston and Milwaukee. If they aren't careful not only will they lose the #8 seed but they will fall out of the play-in scenario entirely. And as someone who is desperately rooting for San Antonio so they can keep their playoff streak alive, anything can happen.

Ben Simmons is out for the season. That's his second season ending injury this year. (In the before times he had a back injury that was going to bench him through the previously scheduled season, but was able to recover during the break.)

So weird seeing the Clippers and Blazers play an early afternoon eastern time game. I had to double check to see if it was actually live.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Ben Simmons is out for the season. That's his second season ending injury this year. (In the before times he had a back injury that was going to bench him through the previously scheduled season, but was able to recover during the break.)

So weird seeing the Clippers and Blazers play an early afternoon eastern time game. I had to double check to see if it was actually live.

Jesus he's the second guy to blow out his knee in the bubble (Jonathan Isaacs being the other one). 

So now that the Pelicans have been eliminated from the playoffs there's a lot of chatter in the twitter and reddit-verses that Zion Williamson is "fat" and out of shape. Is he? I've seen him play and think that he's just one of those rare basketball players that's not extremely ectomorphic. He's like Shaq/Charles Barkley/Draymond Green instead of Kevin Durant/Chris Bosh/Steph Curry.

1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

So now that the Pelicans have been eliminated from the playoffs there's a lot of chatter in the twitter and reddit-verses that Zion Williamson is "fat" and out of shape. Is he? I've seen him play and think that he's just one of those rare basketball players that's not extremely ectomorphic. He's like Shaq/Charles Barkley/Draymond Green instead of Kevin Durant/Chris Bosh/Steph Curry.

Zion will be fine. I'm certain that he will get into better shape for next season. I like his game a lot & he is easy to root for. He still has plenty to learn. Hopefully, the Pelicans will get a better coach next season because their current one (Alvin Gentry) is going to bring him & that team down.  He almost makes that incompetent loser Mike Brown (former Cavaliers coach & currently piggybacking on those Warriors being their "assistant head coach") look like a genius.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Holy shit that Western Conference race is crazy.

It most certainly is. Last night's game between the Trail Blazers & Mavericks was a lot of fun to watch. Its just too bad that not only that the Pelicans (Zion Williamson) will not be a part of the postseason, but whoever gets the 8th seed will basically be sacrificial lambs to the Lakers.

The Portland Trail Blazers will also find a way to mess it up like they always do. They've been getting hyped lately because of Damian Lillard (scoring 50 & 61 points in his last 2 games). But, the Blazers will win a game at most in the first round, if they get to the Playoffs. Frankly, I don't know why people are so "concerned" about the Lakers struggling in the bubble since they got the 1 seed or why that is even newsworthy. I know that lots of people (ESPN & Undisputed) want the Lakers to go all the way by any means necessary.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Magog said:

It most certainly is. Last night's game between the Trail Blazers & Mavericks was a lot of fun to watch. Its just too bad that not only that the Pelicans (Zion Williamson) will not be a part of the postseason, but whoever gets the 8th seed will basically be sacrificial lambs to the Lakers.

The Portland Trail Blazers will also find a way to mess it up like they always do. They've been getting hyped lately because of Damian Lillard (scoring 50 & 61 points in his last 2 games). But, the Blazers will win a game at most in the first round, if they get to the Playoffs. Frankly, I don't know why people are so "concerned" about the Lakers struggling in the bubble since they got the 1 seed or why that is even newsworthy. I know that lots of people (ESPN & Undisputed) want the Lakers to go all the way by any means necessary.

Damian Lilllard is amazing but I'm not sure he can always carry a team by dropping 61 like he did last night.

can I admit though that the Lakers in the bubble is IMO the least exciting of the front running teams? I respect Lebron and Anthony Davis and what they do but seeing Danny Green brick one three after another and Javale McGee and Dwight Howard in their really slow low post-games is just not exciting.

I think the Clippers, Blazers, Suns, Mavs, Rockets, etc are all more fun to watch.

• Love 2

Damian Lillard got 41 points tonight & Portland won the game tonight (134-133) against the Nets. That game was very exciting to watch. Portland (8th) will play Memphis (9) on Saturday Afternoon to see who will be the sacrificial lamb to the Lakers. 

That also means the Spurs & Suns are goin' fishing right now.

As for Friday's games, all 3 of them Heat - Pacers, Thunder - Clippers, & 76ers - Rockets are flat-out nap-inducing.

can I admit though that the Lakers in the bubble is IMO the least exciting of the front running teams? I respect Lebron and Anthony Davis and what they do but seeing Danny Green brick one three after another and Javale McGee and Dwight Howard in their really slow low post-games is just not exciting.

Except for LeBron obviously, I find Anthony Davis (not his fault), Javale McGee (especially), & Dwight Howard (always) very loathsome.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Magog said:

Damian Lillard got 41 points tonight & Portland won the game tonight (134-133) against the Nets. That game was very exciting to watch. Portland (8th) will play Memphis (9) on Saturday Afternoon to see who will be the sacrificial lamb to the Lakers. 

That also means the Spurs & Suns are goin' fishing right now.

Heartbroken for the Suns but if Damian Lillard didn't make it into the playoffs after almost singlehandedly dragging his team through games that somehow doesn't seem right. 

• Love 1

Has there ever been a more baby-faced killer than Dame Time?

It’s a real bummer for Phoenix to go undefeated in the bubble and miss out, but they’re the ones who dragged their sad record into the bubble in the first place.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s a real bummer for Phoenix to go undefeated in the bubble and miss out, but they’re the ones who dragged their sad record into the bubble in the first place.

Steph Curry is also a shortish, baby-faced assassin like Damian.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I probably would've opted out if I knew that I wasn't getting an automatic postseason pass for going undefeated for nothing

I hope Dame Lillard and the Blazers win. I've been watching him during the Bubble and unlike other starters for other teams he got no rest. He played full games every time and dragged his team into contention. Insane scoring. For that he has my respect. (It also helps that he's ... well, he's cute.) 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I hope Dame Lillard and the Blazers win. I've been watching him during the Bubble and unlike other starters for other teams he got no rest. He played full games every time and dragged his team into contention. Insane scoring. For that he has my respect. (It also helps that he's ... well, he's cute.) 

I also want Dame to win, because Dame stands a better chance at challenging the Lakers. That's an insane thing to say but Bubble Dame has been just unstoppable and the Bubble Lakers have not been the Lakers. 

But if he's gonna stand any chance they gotta bounce the Grizzlies today, they cannot be farting around playing an extra back-to-back. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4
On 8/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Zion will never have the lean, lanky body type we typically associate with basketball players, but yeah, he definitely needs to drop weight. In the clips I saw it looked like he could barely haul himself up and down the court. Nothing an hour a day on the treadmill can't fix.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Zion will never have the lean, lanky body type we typically associate with basketball players, but yeah, he definitely needs to drop weight. In the clips I saw it looked like he could barely haul himself up and down the court. Nothing an hour a day on the treadmill can't fix.

Yeah, but I feel like Zion's the type who always has to watch his weight. Maybe he needs to hire a personal chef because if there's anything the behind the bubble vlogs have taught me it's just how much NBA players eat. Matisse Thybulle in his vlogs seems to start his day with a massive stack of food. Yet most basketball players can probably eat a house and not gain much weight because of their ectomorphic build. So if Zion's just eating "normal" NBA amounts but gaining weight then he needs a chef or something to figure it out. 

In other news I'm hoping Portland didn't fight that hard just to get slaughtered by the Lakers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Growsonwalls said:

He may have a body like Shaq but he is more explosive and would need something more like Karl Malone for his body to withstand that explosiveness. Every time I see him I see a larger Larry Grandmama Johnson and am waiting for his power to drop him mid career in a similar manner.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

...if there's anything the behind the bubble vlogs have taught me it's just how much NBA players eat. Matisse Thybulle in his vlogs seems to start his day with a massive stack of food.

Holy cow, these guys eat a ton of food! I mean, I get it, these guys are so tall and burning tons of calories every day but I was still amazed at some of the plates Thybulle's vlog showed. I think he eats more for breakfast than I do in a day. Tobias Harris and Kyle O'Quinn also had huge plates of dinner in one video (the night they took food from another team's buffet, lol).

I think Zion is just built differently like Barkley is and he's always going to have to stay on top of his weight. I also wonder if quarantine threw him off, too. Stuck at home for months and not able to work out as usual in the middle of the season? That could screw things up.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Holy cow, these guys eat a ton of food! I mean, I get it, these guys are so tall and burning tons of calories every day but I was still amazed at some of the plates Thybulle's vlog showed. I think he eats more for breakfast than I do in a day. Tobias Harris and Kyle O'Quinn also had huge plates of dinner in one video (the night they took food from another team's buffet, lol).

I think Zion is just built differently like Barkley is and he's always going to have to stay on top of his weight. I also wonder if quarantine threw him off, too. Stuck at home for months and not able to work out as usual in the middle of the season? That could screw things up.

Zion was also coming off an injury. So quarantine + injury might have meant he was out of shape for the bubble. But as I said, it's build differences too. Like in the bubble vlogs you see a bunch of guys constantly stuffing their faces with huge plates of food as well as snacks and they still look lanky and lean. 

Also, Zion just turned 20. He can;t even legally drink yet. 

I'm excited for the playoffs. The two top teams (the Bucks and Lakers) havent' looked all that good in the bubble so I'm looking forward to them getting challenged.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Matisse Thybulle has uploaded another vlog and again, it seems like NBA players when they're not working out are eating. 

I also love how they're so massive that they make a regular pool seem like a kiddie wading pool.

I liked the little glimpses of them getting on each other's nerves. I know they like and respect each other but I'm sure it's exhausting to be around your teammates 24/7 with no breaks for almost 2 months now. But yeah, these guys eat all. the. time. 

I also appreciated hot, shirtless athletes in the pool, but that's another story.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I liked the little glimpses of them getting on each other's nerves. I know they like and respect each other but I'm sure it's exhausting to be around your teammates 24/7 with no breaks for almost 2 months now. But yeah, these guys eat all. the. time. 

I also appreciated hot, shirtless athletes in the pool, but that's another story.

Well one thing that's been happening is that Tobias Harris and Matisse have been getting a lot of minutes while Kyle O'Quinn has been like the backup of the backup. Now reserve players are part of the business but it can't be easy for Kyle O'Quinn to sit as a benchwarmer. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Well one thing that's been happening is that Tobias Harris and Matisse have been getting a lot of minutes while Kyle O'Quinn has been like the backup of the backup. Now reserve players are part of the business but it can't be easy for Kyle O'Quinn to sit as a benchwarmer. 

O'Quinn has gotten a few minutes in but you're right, not nearly as much as the other 2nd and 3rd string players. Plus, it's rumored Thybulle might be starting in one or two of the upcoming games against the Celtics since they need a strong defense and Simmons is out.

• Love 1

Another thing about rookies like Matisse is that it's NBA "tradition" to be really cruel and snotty to them. Part of that is job insecurity -- a rookie comes in, and if he's good, he's taking away someone's minutes. You can tell that Matisse has a good relationship with Tobias and Kyle but it doesn;t mean there isn't some tension underneath the surface.

Speaking of rookies and vets I thought it was so nice that Dame Lillard hugged a heartbroken Ja Morant after the Grizzlies lost to the Blazers.

9d3adb02-d37b-4d81-a485-04ceea4bee31-AP2

It was just a moment of kindness that was really nice. I couldn't picture someone like MJ doing this.

• Love 7

The Magic rolled the Bucks!!! 

I mean I get that the Bucks were kinda sleepy in the seeding games, but I think we all expected them to flip a switch when the playoffs started. Still expect them to put it together and probably bounce the Magic in 5, but props Orlando. props. Way to turn up Home Team. 

EDIT: 

THE BLAZERS ROLLED THE LAKERS!!!

The 8 seeds came to play baby. IT'S DAME TIME.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 4

Two 8th seeds beat #1 seeds today.

Lebron James needs to improve his FT shooting. I have no idea what his issues are especially down the stretch but at this point Hack'a-Bron is becoming a strategy as much as Hack-a=Shaq.

With that being said, the Lakers need to take Danny Green out of rotation. Idk what's going on with him but he bricks one three after another. He's Mr. UnClutch. Lebron can't make triple doubles every game.

And wow, when Damian Lillard decides to get going no one can stop him. And what a great late-career resurgence for Melo. The Blazers might be the most fun team to watch in the bubble.

In other news, Bill Russell at 86 is still bringing the funny:

And Steph Curry was salty when Kenny Smith said that Steph couldn't do what Damian did:

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Anyone can win the bubble championship at this point. There is no home court advantage and the lower seeds are playing with more intensity than the higher seeds. I love the Lakers but they have been terrible and seem sluggish. Stop missing free throws! Where is the Danny Green prior to Covid? They lost with Lillard having a bad second half (until the last few minutes when he was ridiculous). I smell a sweep coming.

• Love 1

Fucking hell, Legs.  Did it hurt, when you bent over backwards to make excuses for the Lakers?

Tim Legler said that the Lakers didn’t have the advantage of having fans at the Staples Center and I can’t believe it’s been a month, and no one told me the Lakers were the only team inside the bubble, and yesterday was their first game. 

Guess that’s why Orlando won, since they were the home team and all.

• LOL 8

Another day another upset.

How are the Clippers so bad defensively when they have Kawhi and PG? I mean they should be handling Doncic and the Mavs a lot better then they are right? Am I just totally ignorant as to how this series should be going?

But whatever, this feels like it'll be the most exciting first round in years.

I LOVE IT. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Another day another upset.

How are the Clippers so bad defensively when they have Kawhi and PG? I mean they should be handling Doncic and the Mavs a lot better then they are right? Am I just totally ignorant as to how this series should be going?

But whatever, this feels like it'll be the most exciting first round in years.

I LOVE IT. 

I think for whatever reason the Clippers look like a conglomerate of good players rather than a team, if that makes sense. Also maybe the personal situation between Paul George and Doc Rivers is still awkward? 

I feel the same way watching Anthony Davis and Lebron James. They should be an absolute killer combo on paper. But when I see them play together in the bubble they don't seem to gel. Also the Lakers need to make more FT's. That was ridiculous the other night.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think for whatever reason the Clippers look like a conglomerate of good players rather than a team, if that makes sense. Also maybe the personal situation between Paul George and Doc Rivers is still awkward? 

I feel the same way watching Anthony Davis and Lebron James. They should be an absolute killer combo on paper. But when I see them play together in the bubble they don't seem to gel. Also the Lakers need to make more FT's. That was ridiculous the other night.

I mean I get what's going on with the Lakers, their shots aren't falling. That's simple, and unfortunately not really fixable. Eventually LeBron and AD will regress to their mean (which they are playing woefully behind at the moment) and the world will seem normal again. In the meantime if Danny Green and KCP and Alex Caruso can't put together the bare minimum of being an NBA player Dame will usher them into the off season. 

The Lakers are still playing ok D though, The Blazers shot under 40%, and had 100 points exactly. That's not a terrible defensive outing against the current best player in the league (sorry Giannis, LeBron and Kawhi, but right now it's Dame Time.) 

The Lakers offense decided to take pretty much the whole night off and they still only lost by 7, and it necessitated Dame playing 42 minutes and triggering 4th quarter God Mode where the ball flies through the rim from half court and singes the netting as the NBA jam guy screams "Grandma's Sweet Potato Casserole!" 

But the Clippers have two of the best defensive players in the game, and they played all night, meanwhile Dallas' biggest threat sat most of the second half with foul trouble playing only 28 mins and the Clips still got torched for 127. That's what's confusing to me. I'm not sure what's going on with PG and Doc though, maybe you're right that something is up there. 

Just now, Growsonwalls said:

PG and Doc have history. PG used to date Doc's daughter. Then he cheated on Doc's daughter with his now-gf. Doc's daughter married Seth Curry (Steph's brother on the Mavs). So it's a real awkward situation all around.

Wow this series is like Days of Our Lives. LOL. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Maximum Taco said:
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I mean I get what's going on with the Lakers, their shots aren't falling. That's simple, and unfortunately not really fixable. Eventually LeBron and AD will regress to their mean (which they are playing woefully behind at the moment) and the world will seem normal again. In the meantime if Danny Green and KCP and Alex Caruso can't put together the bare minimum of being an NBA player Dame will usher them into the off season. 

Lebron is not the one to worry about for Game 2. He will definitely show up. Its the rest of his teammates (including Anthony Davis) that you should be worry about. LeBron will give it his all to make sure the Lakers win tonight. Its up to his other teammates to help out to make it happen. 

BTW, tonight is the NBA Lottery. Mr. Goody Two Shoes & ESPN's Golden Boy will be there representing those scummy Warriors. He will probably do that stupid dance & show his usual smugness if they (god forbid) get the first pick in the Draft. They should of had Draymond representing them. At least, he's classy & likable.  The Timberwolves, Cavaliers, & those Warriors have the best chance at getting the #1 pick.

I also hope that the Knicks don't get a top 5 pick either. They're beyond useless. 

Edited by Magog