Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's rare to win titles as a leading player on multiple teams in any sport.  Yes great if you can do it but just rare to do.  Much more like to stay in one place that's already win and keep winning.  Maybe 10 players that have done that, again in any sport.  Manning won titles in Indy and denver. Kareem did it in Milwaukee and LA.  Rodman did it with detroit and chicago. Lebron.  I think dennis johnson did it but he was not a primary or secondary player in Boston.  Even wayne gretzky couldn't do it, never won a title after edmonton. There are some others but they are more secondary players   but it just doesn't happen often. Probably more in baseball with pitchers.  If he stayed in Toronto and kept winning his odds were much higher if multiple titles and a legacy that way

If being in LA is more important to him than winning, fine, but then that just proves he really isn't one of the greats in my opinion. 

It's a little more common in hockey then you might think.

Red Kelly won the cup 4 times with Detroit, and then 4 times with Toronto 

Frank Mahovlich won the cup 4 times with Toronto and then 2 more with Montreal.

Mark Messier won 5 in Edmonton and then 1 more in New York (I believe he's the only one to Captain two teams to the chip)

Patrick Roy won 2 in Montreal and 2 in Colorado

Scott Niedermayer won 3 in New Jersey and 1 in Anaheim 

Claude Lemieux won in Montreal, New Jersey (twice, but in different stints) and Colorado

Joe Nieuwendyk won in Calgary, Dallas and New Jersey

Brett Hull won with Dallas and then Detroit

There's probably much more. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

When do you think LeBron is going to stop bitching about the MVP voting like a whiny baby?

a. Never

b. Twelve days past never 

c.  When the earth crashes into the sun, and even then his last statement will be “16 votes aaaaahhhhhhhhhh”

• LOL 12
40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When do you think LeBron is going to stop bitching about the MVP voting like a whiny baby?

a. Never

b. Twelve days past never 

c.  When the earth crashes into the sun, and even then his last statement will be “16 votes aaaaahhhhhhhhhh”

I guess he's channeling his inner MJ:

EZFwpwSXsAAFnlc.jpg

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Lebron is totally emulating MJ.  Though I think he totally deserved it this year.  The Lakers were nothing without him, and given how he made it to the end series of a postseason consecutively throughout most of the past decade with teams that were drafting the Top Pick or close enough to that without his services, I can’t blame him.

However, I don’t think it’s a big deal in the NBA.  Maybe in baseball, possibly in the NFL, and really not so much in the NHL.  No one cares or should care about a league MVP when the focus are the rings.  Plus it was debatable between him and Giannis for awhile prior to the shutdown

OUTSTANDING DOCUMENTARY OR NONFICTION SERIES

The Last Dance • ESPN • A Mandalay Sports Media Production in association with NBA Entertainment, ESPN Films, Netflix

Jason Hehir, Produced by

Mike Tollin, Executive Producer

Estee Portnoy, Executive Producer Curtis Polk,  Executive  Producer Connor Schell, Executive Producer Gregg Winik, Executive Producer Andrew Thompson, Executive Producer

• Useful 3

I’m a Lakers fan and the reason why they are so good this year is because they added AD. They had Lebron last year and sucked. Giannis deserved it because the Bucks were so good because of him- without him they would have been a basement team. Move on, Lebron.

• Love 2

Well great finish by AD as Lebron just totally sucked the last quarter.  Sure he had 20 or so in the first half but he disappeared in the second.  AD bailed them out, last 10 points. 

If you are going to bitch about not winning league MVP probably don't want to follow it up the next day with that type of conference finals 4th quarter performance. 

A great finish though, I think 4 lead changes in the last minute. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

AD literally yelled Kobe when he made that shot and Kobe helped design those jerseys.  Not exactly a reach there.

He might have yelled Kobe but that shot was pure Robert Horry.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

LeBron is STILL bitching about not playing at home.  Shut up, LeBron.

I'll be honest: if the Los Angeles wins the NBA Finals I'll agree it'll be sad that it wasn't at Staples.  That being said, I probably would've kept that to myself.  Now is not the best time.  Maybe I'll be more sympathetic if this is the case next year, but nope.  At least the league is operating!

By the way, winning the title on one's home turf is not automatic.  Not a long shot, but the odds aren't that great.  Assuming the Lakers even go the distance

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Wow - just tuned into the Lakers/Nuggets game! Yes, I am entertained!

It was one great, wild game. The fourth quarter was nuts. And Jamal Murray's b2b three's gave me Steph Curry/Kevin Durant baby-faced assassin vibes. 

The Lakers' bench continues to struggle. They have Lebron and AD and Rondo can turn it up but ... that's it. Kyle Kuzma, Danny Green, Javale McGee, Alex Caruso ... when it's a tight game against a good team these are not the rotation players that inspire confidence. Lebron is 36 and can't play 48 a game anymore.  

• Love 3

Miami fans are about ready to kill the refs. Nonetheless, a Heat-Lakers matchup would be pretty sick. So would Heat-Nuggets. Coach Cal must be pretty smug seeing all the UK players still in the playoffs right now -- Jamal Murray, Anthony Davis, Tyler Herro and Bam Adebayo.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, mojoween said:

If there is no travel, why has it been a month since Miami and Boston played?  I forgot that series was even still going on.

To let the Western Conference Finals catch up to the East a bit, or else the ECF winner might wait around a week for the WCF to be decided.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

In other news, Lakers legend Elgin Baylor has decided to start the social media thing. He's 85.

Looks like he's hoping people don't bring up those 22 years he spent as a VP with the Clippers.

As great as he was his timing sucked though. The 71/72 Lakers started their 33 game win streak the game after he retired and of course ended up winning the championship.  They gave him a ring, but he really wasn't part of that team.

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Looks like he's hoping people don't bring up those 22 years he spent as a VP with the Clippers.

As great as he was his timing sucked though. The 71/72 Lakers started their 33 game win streak the game after he retired and of course ended up winning the championship.  They gave him a ring, but he really wasn't part of that team.

I didn't realize that.  What a horrible decision. 

There were two chicago bears, al Harris and Todd bell, that held out the whole 85 season over a contract dispute. Missed out not only on a superbowl win but arguably the best team if the superbowl era.  

4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

He retired though because he popped his achilles tendon. Back in the day there was no way to come back from that. It's still really difficult -- look how much less efficient Kobe was after he popped his tendon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't realize that.  What a horrible decision.  (Elgin Baylor's retirement early in the 71-72 NBA season)

I remember the time , if you see a few of the old clips of his trying to play in the first few games his time was done maybe or maybe not that 12 seat on the bench would have made a difference come playoff time. But Baylor was not even in physical shape to practice with the team. And a man of his size in the transportation that pro athletes got in that day would be hard on him, maybe a lifetime disability. With a Hall of Famer sitting on the bench ready to reclaim his spot maybe his young replacement Jim McMillen doesn't step forward as the Laker's third scoring option after Gail Goodrich and Jerry West as he far outscored Wilt Chamberlain who was a defensive, rebounding and assist monster still

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I remember the time , if you see a few of the old clips of his trying to play in the first few games his time was done maybe or maybe not that 12 seat on the bench would have made a difference come playoff time. But Baylor was not even in physical shape to practice with the team. And a man of his size in the transportation that pro athletes got in that day would be hard on him, maybe a lifetime disability. With a Hall of Famer sitting on the bench ready to reclaim his spot maybe his young replacement Jim McMillen doesn't step forward as the Laker's third scoring option after Gail Goodrich and Jerry West as he far outscored Wilt Chamberlain who was a defensive, rebounding and assist monster still

Thanks for the context.  Was before my time, I know nothing about what happened that season or about that team

Miami vs. Lakers has an interesting storyline. There's definite beef between Spo and Bron, and also Bron and Pat Riley. I think the Lakers will win but I adore Miami's scrappiness. And seeing Pat Riley aging like fine wine is always a nice sight. He's a good looking seventy-something year old.

• Love 1

I didn’t think about this before, but Bomani Jones was lamenting today that after all those years in Cleveland, the media is missing out on the Finals in Los Angeles and Miami.  That does make me laugh.

As soon as the Denver game ended, I thought Doc’s seat was hot.  I still feel badly that the Clippers pulled the trigger on that though.

Doc to New York next?

44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I didn’t think about this before, but Bomani Jones was lamenting today that after all those years in Cleveland, the media is missing out on the Finals in Los Angeles and Miami.  That does make me laugh.

As soon as the Denver game ended, I thought Doc’s seat was hot.  I still feel badly that the Clippers pulled the trigger on that though.

Doc to New York next?

Hasn't he suffered enough!!!  

Not a surprise at all.  I thought it would have happened a week ago. 

Heat lakers final.  I'll pass

The la lakers are the nba example of how white privilege works.  That team was mismanaged for years, but the free agents all clamor to play their in hollywood and erase all that quickly.  Doesn't matter how bad managememt might try and screw things up.  No other team in the nba could do that and still manage to keep making championship runs.  

And no I am not meaning literal white privilege, just an analogy.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The la lakers are the nba example of how white privilege works.  That team was mismanaged for years, but the free agents all clamor to play their in hollywood and erase all that quickly.  Doesn't matter how bad managememt might try and screw things up.  No other team in the nba could do that and still manage to keep making championship runs.  

And no I am not meaning literal white privilege, just an analogy.  

Uh ... if this was true than the NY Knicks should be a way stronger team than they are. I think what you're talking about is how much of an advantage large markets like LA have over small markets. But as I said, if this was true the Knicks would be great and the Nuggets wouldn't be. 

And the Lakers are good this year because they have the combo of Lebron/AntDavis. They have an extremely weak bench.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Uh ... if this was true than the NY Knicks should be a way stronger team than they are. I think what you're talking about is how much of an advantage large markets like LA have over small markets. But as I said, if this was true the Knicks would be great and the Nuggets wouldn't be. 

Yup, it's a big market thing, which makes one wonder how good the Knicks could be if they didn't have a complete dumpster fire of an owner.  The Lakers aren't exactly great (too bad Jerry Buss didn't pass his acumen on to his kids) but they look like geniuses compared to  what NY has done over the past 10 years, which is really saying something.

I out of 4 of the biggest city teams winning this biggest stars must leave their old team to go play in that area game sort of works against the hypothesis. 

However getting Wilt Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabber, Shaq and Lebron after relative slides from the top 

Well if the rumors are true the Clippers' roster had major chemistry issues, particularly between Fun Guy Kawhi and PG13. Not sure how much Doc Rivers could have fixed that. Even Phil Jackson couldn't fix Shaq/Kobe after awhile.

In other news is Andre Igoudala the Robert Horry of his generation? On his way to his sixth consecutive final as an A+ role player.

There was an embedded basketball reporter in the bubble that I heard on a podcast. The reporters are kept a bit away from the players, but he could still observe them from a distance. He talked about which teams seemed to be enjoying the bubble atmosphere more than the others. This was when there were still 8 teams left or so. Ones he named as particularly enjoying the bubble were Miami and Boston, and Philly, Milwaukee, and the Clippers were ones that weren't having as good a time.

15 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

And the Lakers are good this year because they have the combo of Lebron/AntDavis. They have an extremely weak bench.

But, their weak bench have been very helpful in spurts when they need it. I'm sure that Rajon Rondo & Danny Green will find a way to help out the Lakers in the Finals. 

17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That also made me laugh. Stephen A Smith was very sad about that on Monday & that put a smile on my face. 

I have mixed feeling about the Heat - Lakers Finals. I'm only rooting for LeBron & if the Lakers win, I'm only going to be happy for LeBron. I won't be very happy if Dwight Howard & JaVale McGee (he (unfortunately) got 2) get a ring. Even though he is a nice guy & a very good NBA player, seeing Anthony Davis getting a ring won't bring me any excitement. Also, Magic Johnson is mouthing off & bragging again on Twitter about the Lakers & I find that very irritating. He wasn't much of a help putting this team together. Funny, we haven't heard anything since forever from Rob Pelinka.

As for the Heat, I hope that Jimmy Butler is somewhere laughing at Joel Embild & Ben Simmons. He is about to experience something that those 2 losers on the 76ers will never get to. Playing in the NBA Finals.

Edited by Magog

Can we not refer to players that aren't favorites as "losers"? Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons and the Sixers team don't have what it takes to win the ECF but they were very close last year and they could be next year. Both are injury-prone. Does not make them losers!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Magog said:

As for the Heat, I hope that Jimmy Butler is somewhere laughing at Joel Embild & Ben Simmons. He is about to experience something that those 2 losers on the 76ers will never get to. Playing in the NBA Finals.

You mean Jimmy "I'm gonna blow shit up in Chicago/Minneapolis/Philadelphia so they have to trade me." Butler?

• Love 6

I wish they would have set up Zoom rooms for some of the famous virtual fans they have on the big screens behind the benches. 

I would have been so into Barack Obama talking about his Bulls.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, xaxat said:

I wish they would have set up Zoom rooms for some of the famous virtual fans they have on the big screens behind the benches. 

I would have been so into Barack Obama talking about his Bulls.

It probably would of been more interesting & entertaining than watching Game 1 last night. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1