Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

If Giannis doesn’t play on Wednesday, a Kenosha cop is still racist on Thursday.  I wish I felt better that the momentous decision to boycott - in basketball, soccer, tennis and baseball - was actually going to DO something.  I mean, it’s been three months since George Floyd, and here we are.

Regardless, I’ll back these guys (and ladies) and support their decisions.

• Love 6

Husband thinks this might be the thing that finally does it because a lot of very wealthy white men are about to lose a lot of money if their teams don’t play and their networks can’t show games and sell ads.  Fingers crossed that somebody with power to effect change finally cares enough to do so.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Husband thinks this might be the thing that finally does it because a lot of very wealthy white men are about to lose a lot of money if their teams don’t play and their networks can’t show games and sell ads.

That's exactly it. Even if they play today. They didn't play yesterday, and it's all the news is talking about. Not just sports news. 

12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I went on twitter and some of the comments were disgusting. N-bombs dropped everywhere.

On FB, there's the typical triggered dudeflake response, 'we pay their salary', which no, or 'who cares, no one is watching,' which is also false. Or the 'he was a criminal anyway', which (1) even criminals have constitutional protections and (2) lacks context because -

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, it’s been three months since George Floyd, and here we are.

- which I think is their fundamental motivation for the boycott. 

And (3) 'keep politics out of sports', which, social justice isn't really political, per se, and sports and politics have been intertwined forever. You're not going to be happy with the rest of the year. 

Oh, and (4) - they make millions, what have they done? Again, lacks context because of the particular, closed market that professional sports is, and most people don't work on a contract basis. I technically do, and believe me, if these people thought they weren't getting a penny they were owed they would braying at the moon. 

I think this is a fascinating moment. I have no idea what's going to happen next. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's exactly it. Even if they play today. They didn't play yesterday, and it's all the news is talking about. Not just sports news. 

On FB, there's the typical triggered dudeflake response, 'we pay their salary', which no, or 'who cares, no one is watching,' which is also false. Or the 'he was a criminal anyway', which (1) even criminals have constitutional protections and (2) lacks context because -

- which I think is their fundamental motivation for the boycott. 

They're playing again. Not today, but playoffs will resume.

Last night some twitterbots posted the same message over and over again that people noticed. They even made a video about it:

Anyway I'm tired of people saying "they're rich so they can't complain." Most NBA players do not come from rich backgrounds, and many of them are very young. I remember Ja Morant saying that when he was young he lived on canned food. If they have nice stuff now it's because they worked hard and they earned it. It's so competitive getting into the NBA. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Anyway I'm tired of people saying "they're rich so they can't complain."

Huh, they should talk to Bucks player Sterling Brown. who was thrown to the ground and tased by the police. His crime? He had parked across the lines of a handicap spot and, to quote the officer, was "such a dick".

• Love 2

I feel so badly for all of them.

First off, power (Masai Ujiri and those asshole cops at Golden State; Sterling Brown as noted above; LeBron James and the racial slurs ON HIS HOUSE) does not keep you safe. 

Second, their job, is to play hoops.  And they love it!  They wouldn’t put in so much work if they didn’t.  So they WERE pumped with the bubble plan, because that meant they could play.  But then the bubble became a reality, and the accommodations weren’t the best at first, and they are isolated from their families, and they are BORED with the limited things they can do on their downtime, and the terrible world is moving on without them and they can’t be out in it making their voices heard.

So I definitely do.  I feel genuinely, heart-feelingly badly, for millionaires I will never meet.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Anyway I'm tired of people saying "they're rich so they can't complain."

That always strikes me as a not-so-'know your place, boy'-dog whistle. 

The collorary to salaries being 'what have they done anyway.' Lots of pro athletes have charities or do community stuff through the organizations. I'm going to guess dudeflakes aren't getting down to the community center or local soup kitchen even once a year. 

Even with the games resuming, it's still all we're talking about. It's going to be all over the news again tonight. 

I know they're bots, but I love the 'don't care won't watch'. Yet you're bloviating all over the internet about it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That always strikes me as a not-so-'know your place, boy'-dog whistle. 

The collorary to salaries being 'what have they done anyway.' Lots of pro athletes have charities or do community stuff through the organizations. I'm going to guess dudeflakes aren't getting down to the community center or local soup kitchen even once a year. 

Even with the games resuming, it's still all we're talking about. It's going to be all over the news again tonight. 

I know they're bots, but I love the 'don't care won't watch'. Yet you're bloviating all over the internet about it. 

Sir Charles was saying last night that let's not assume all these guys are wading in money either. Sure if you're Lebron you can probably afford to skip the whole season. But some guys are on rookie starter contracts and/or temporary bubble contracts after being brought up from the G-league. Anyway I don't see why they're not entitled to what they earn - A-list actors also make tons of money but for some reason there's never that "they're rich so they can't complain" trope.

Anyway Damian Lillard officially out of the bubble with a knee injury 😞 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Sir Charles was saying last night that let's not assume all these guys are wading in money either. Sure if you're Lebron you can probably afford to skip the whole season. But some guys are on rookie starter contracts and/or temporary bubble contracts after being brought up from the G-league. Anyway I don't see why they're not entitled to what they earn - A-list actors also make tons of money but for some reason there's never that "they're rich so they can't complain" trope.

Anyway Damian Lillard officially out of the bubble with a knee injury 😞 

Sorry to hear about the injuries, but his little guy is So Cute!  Looks like he would be a lot of fun!

• Love 7
On 8/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Not to give the NBA a tongue bath or anything, but I could not see this happening in any other league.

It could only happen in the NBA. No other league has players that are simultaneously so empowered but also so united and dedicated to each other.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

It could only happen in the NBA. No other league has players that are simultaneously so empowered but also so united and dedicated to each other.

Well ... there were three boycotts in MLB yesterday and 7 today. However the commissioner has been putting pressure on MLB to play. The Mets Marlins actually took the field, seemed like they were about to play, stood in silence for 42 seconds (to honor Jackie Robinson) and then walked off. 

I am just so sickened by people on SM say that the protestors are "rioters and looters" and then when players from the NBA, MLB, MLS, and tennis decide to peacefully protest (note: they hurt NO ONE, robbed NO ONE), they're being roasted. 

• Love 10

Leagues where players have postponed games to protest racial injustice.

NBA

WNBA

MLB

MLS

USTA

NFL (practices)

NHL (yep)

Anyone else? (I'm looking at you PGA). 

• Love 6

Go Heat! That was a great game! Jimmy Butler was on fire! Never cared about them one way or the other until my beloved Andre Iguodala somehow wound up there (not to worry, the Warriors should have him back just before retirement, as is right and good so to do). If they can face up to the Bucks like this for a few more games, wow!

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets find a way to lose Game 7 on Wednesday Night. 15-44 from 3 point range, making costly turnovers, & Russell Westbrook was terrible tonight by scoring only 17 points while having plenty of bad turnovers (especially at the end). I know that the Lakers are licking their chops at what a possible walk in the park its going to be in the next round against one of these guys.

Edited by Magog

Mad respect for both the Jazz and the Nuggets for that hard-fought series. I felt terrible for Donovan Mitchell. What a talent. That was a rough game. Had the feel of a 90s Pistons/Bulls slugfest. Lots of hard fouls and blocked shots. 

Jamal Murray and Donovan Mitchell have apparently been playing each other since high school. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am so confused why Denver raced down the floor and tried to score rather than hold the ball and try to draw the foul.  That coulda been a dagger if Conley’s shot went in.

Very messy game from both sides. Think they were both gassed and not making good game choices. One of the lowest scoring games in recent memory. 

• Love 2

The Rockets somehow didn't find a way to mess it up like I thought they would. James Harden really sucked on offense tonight (4-15 17 points). But, he made the play of the game with that block shot at the end of the game. He & those crummy Rockets better bring that same energy against the Lakers because I still think they'll find a way to mess it up.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:04 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Mad respect for both the Jazz and the Nuggets for that hard-fought series. I felt terrible for Donovan Mitchell. What a talent. That was a rough game. Had the feel of a 90s Pistons/Bulls slugfest. Lots of hard fouls and blocked shots. 

Jamal Murray and Donovan Mitchell have apparently been playing each other since high school. 

That shot was SO CLOSE.  In and out. 

12 hours ago, Magog said:

The Rockets somehow didn't find a way to mess it up like I thought they would. James Harden really sucked on offense tonight (4-15 17 points). But, he made the play of the game with that block shot at the end of the game. He & those crummy Rockets better bring that same energy against the Lakers because I still think they'll find a way to mess it up.

Harden with the DEFENSIVE play to win the game basically. 

And like two or three timeouts for OKC at the end with the ball and THAT is the best play they could come up with on the inbounds?  That was awful. 

The refs ruined the end of Miami-Milwaukee.  was not a foul on the 3 and not a foul on Butlers shot.  Two bad calls evened out, but watching free throws win a game on a literally touchy call with no time out?  Such a letdown for an ending. 

I don't care much about either team, but they just ripped the excitement away from that one. 

• Love 2

My Raptors! We have a pulse!

In bound with 0.5 seconds left. Lowry with the cross court pass over the tallest man in the NBA. OG at the buzzer for the 1 point win. 

I'm hoping that's the start of something big, but even if it wasn't, for tonight, that was glorious. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5

Clips are ready for the Lakers. They needed the Mavs to wake them up, but they ready now. 

I've always wanted to see a Lakers/Clippers series just for the hilarity of every game being played in the same arena.

In other news, Steve Nash inexplicably traded the relaxing life of a retiree for head coach of the Nets.  The coaching records of the greats is very mixed and leans towards bad, so best of luck to him.  He probably could have gotten hired as a talking head instead.

4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I've always wanted to see a Lakers/Clippers series just for the hilarity of every game being played in the same arena.

In other news, Steve Nash inexplicably traded the relaxing life of a retiree for head coach of the Nets.  The coaching records of the greats is very mixed and leans towards bad, so best of luck to him.  He probably could have gotten hired as a talking head instead.

I was reading Jerry West's biography which talks about his brief and unhappy career as Lakers' head coach. He said he was appalled when guys would eat before the game. He said when he was playing he was so wound that he never ate after 2:30 on a game day. Which kind of encapsulates why great players often make poor coaches. I think many great players have this single-minded drive and talent. But if you're a coach you have to look at how the rotation players can help out. If I'm a rotation player who plays at most a few minutes at the end of blowout games, I'm not on this self-imposed fast after 2:30 pm. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I was reading Jerry West's biography which talks about his brief and unhappy career as Lakers' head coach. He said he was appalled when guys would eat before the game. He said when he was playing he was so wound that he never ate after 2:30 on a game day. Which kind of encapsulates why great players often make poor coaches. I think many great players have this single-minded drive and talent. But if you're a coach you have to look at how the rotation players can help out. If I'm a rotation player who plays at most a few minutes at the end of blowout games, I'm not on this self-imposed fast after 2:30 pm. 

Is that Jerry West The Life and Legend by Roland Lazenby?  I read that some years ago, good book,

Yes the great players often struggle handling players without the same intense drive and motivation

Yet West was a great GM even though coaching was not for him.

Larry Bird succeeded for 3 years as coach of the Pacers but he had a veteran team with talent.  And I think Rick Carlisle did much of the coaching of those teams.

Birds biography he talks much the same way as West about McHale.  And McHale was a great player, but he didn't take the game as seriously as Bird.  It bugged Bird. 

But the list is short of great players and great coaches. 

2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Is that Jerry West The Life and Legend by Roland Lazenby?  I read that some years ago, good book,

Yes the great players often struggle handling players without the same intense drive and motivation

Yet West was a great GM even though coaching was not for him.

Larry Bird succeeded for 3 years as coach of the Pacers but he had a veteran team with talent.  And I think Rick Carlisle did much of the coaching of those teams.

Birds biography he talks much the same way as West about McHale.  And McHale was a great player, but he didn't take the game as seriously as Bird.  It bugged Bird. 

But the list is short of great players and great coaches. 

No it's his biography "West by West." Interesting book. 

West was a great GM because I think his sharp game IQ allowed him to determine the players needed for his team to succeed. But he said in his biography that as a coach he just couldn't relate to players who didn't have the same discipline and drive as him. He was too hard on them and they shut down.

One successful player/coach was Bill Russell. But then again he was coaching the Celtics when he was also its star player. His stint as a coach of the Seattle Supersonics and Sacramento Kings was disastrous. Bill Russell when he played was known for throwing up before games and crying after regular season losses. That's not a good formula for being a winning coach.

K.C. Jones wasn't necessarily a "star" player but he was considered a very good starter for the legendary 50s and 60s Celtics and he did coach the Celtics to two championships in the 1980's.

But after that the list is pretty short. 

One thing I notice about Giannis is that he's a sunny, happy personality. That's great, but he doesn't have that locked in, lethal look that the best team leaders have. You know, the "I'm going to drag my team to victory or die trying" look. Lebron has it. Chris Paul had it. Jimmy Butler has it. Even James Harden has it. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

They won the first round series so I’m guessing you meant to say something else. 

Thanks for giving me the benefit of a doubt 😉, but I totally blocked out the the first round (2020, Sixers fan etc.)

What I was thinking is that they lost four straight to the Raptors last year and now have dropped three straight to the Heat.

I know what happened in all the games after the Lakers last lost game one of a series, but that is not going to take away my enjoyment of tonight.  It’s a fool’s errand, but the Rockets have given me hope.

• Love 1

I don't know if Harden is a good example. 

Much of pro sports has a singular definition of how a player should be / act, in order to be considered a great or clutch. Look at how amazed we were that Jordan is still a huge asshole that can't let a grudge go. Look at the toll it's taken. 

If he's showing up in big games and producing day in and out, I don't think it matters. 

Also Russell Westbrook appears to be a very nice person off the court and I love the passion he brings to the game. But he might be one of the most inconsistent superstars ever. I've seen many a game with him where he causes one turnover after another, bricks a bunch of jumpshots, misses the easiest layups ... 

Well, just to chime in that Steph Curry is apparently one of the nicest human beings evah but when he is on the court he reminds me of a very lethal hawk of some sort - completely dialed in on his "prey".

2020 is SO weird! I cannot believe that I find myself rooting for the Rockets...but whatever it takes to defeat the LeWhines. Ultimately I prefer for the Clippers to win it all as there is only one team in L.A. (a saying borrowed from my beloved EPL).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Well, just to chime in that Steph Curry is apparently one of the nicest human beings evah but when he is on the court he reminds me of a very lethal hawk of some sort - completely dialed in on his "prey".

2020 is SO weird! I cannot believe that I find myself rooting for the Rockets...but whatever it takes to defeat the LeWhines. Ultimately I prefer for the Clippers to win it all as there is only one team in L.A. (a saying borrowed from my beloved EPL).

I totally know what you mean -- Steph looks like a shark who's smelled blood. 

I'm just saying I don't see that competitive fire in Giannis. I think maybe he has to develop it, because he sure is talented. 

As for Steph he and the Finding Nemo sharks have never been seen in the same ocean together ... 

BNG-L-WARRIORS-0306-7-1.jpg?w=620Various_Artists_-_Finding_Nemo.jpg

• LOL 7

I am absolutely disgusted. I found this comment on quora about NBA players:

Jon Michael Sakamoto

·

7h ago

Lets think about this for a moment:

We pay really tall guys millions of dollars to run around and throw an orange ball into a round hoop, right? I would say that these are some pretty privileged people. They also get women, status and endorsement deals worth tens of millions more. They live in mansions, eat in the best restaurants and drive exotic sportscars.

Pretty lucky guys, in my humble opinion.

Only now, instead of playing the game that they are paid which puts them in the 1% of income earners in the country, we are supposed to support them telling us poor middle class saps how WE are the privileged ones.

To make matters worse, they are supporting a marxist organization that ignores the 96% of blacks killed in black on black crime, but only cares about the small percentage killed by cops regardless of what they were doing at the time. 55 unarmed suspects were killed by 800,000 police in a country of 300 million people and half were white! That is supposed to equate to systemic racism?

That is the most colossally stupid argument they could possibly make and why I and many others are finished with professional sports in general and the NBA specifically.

Aaron Quandt

5h ago

Great answer. Also amazes me that given over 90% of NBA players are Black and most of the audience is White that the NBA players are protesting. How F*****g stupid are they? We need a quota of no more than 15% Black players. Then those guys can take a knee.

And:

Harry Linfield

·

2h ago

The problem is that the “Attitude” of Blacks when caught breaking Laws is very nearly ALWAYS confrontational. They will never accept that ANYONE has the right to tell THEM what to do, so they start to argue.

Next, they realise they can NEVER win the argument, so it becomes all about “Respect” & how that’s been called out due to them breaking the Law.

& the BLM comes along, & demands the abolition of ALL laws appertaining to Blacks & will riot until it becomes illegal for anyone to question ANYTHING a Black does.

These overpaid performers are the worst examples of a me, me, me, attitude