Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Magog said:

That means Cleveland get several more days off. Certainly, they will have more than enough rest to take care of whoever wins Monday Night. BTW, I enjoyed last night's game. 

I can't imagine how James Harden feels right now. Its bad enough that he basically didn't show up in Game 6 & his team got their ass kicked. Now, Stephen A Smith is saying that he flat out quit. I don't know if he could recover from this debacle. I'm certain that those Warriors are laughing at him right now & are certainly looking forward to giving the Spurs that ass whooping. If this upcoming series goes 6 games, it would be somewhat of a miracle.

Any sympathy I had for James Harden ended when he decided to go partying after Game 6.  Obviously, the series didn't mean that much to him.

I can't stand the Warriors or the Spurs so I could care less who wins that one.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, benteen said:

Any sympathy I had for James Harden ended when he decided to go partying after Game 6.  Obviously, the series didn't mean that much to him.

I can't stand the Warriors or the Spurs so I could care less who wins that one.

It's hard to like any of the teams and quite a few individual players due to some of the suspect things done when in the hunt for a championship! At least when Jordan partied and hit Atlantic City in the finals, he won! Harden and of all players, Draymond Green cost Golden State last season, kicking guys in the "nads! They're on the cusp of immortality, winning 73 games in a season and up 3-1 in the finals! He get suspended for a game and the MOJO goes Cleveland's way and they steal the 1st Championship for that city in memory! It's amazing how many of these guys whine about a lack of Chps., but if you look back, instead of blaming themselves, they point fingers elsewhere! ;-(

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 1

I'm not surprised that those Warriors came back from being down 25 points to beat the Spurs. I'm surprised that the Spurs were up by that much at all. Of course, once Kwahli Leonard went down because of the ankle injury, the Spurs basically went down & play dead. I didn't give the Spurs much of a chance against the Warriors to begin with. Now, there is no really hope of them winning this series. 

I don't know who is going to win tonight between the Celtics - Wizards. But whoever it is, I hope the Cavaliers will be ready to go on Wednesday Night & take care of business. Hopefully this long rest (haven't heard any complaints about it) will get them ready to go. 

BTW, the NBA Lottery is tomorrow night. Is anybody hoping that the Lakers don't get a top 3 pick? I can't imagine the reaction Big Baller Brand would have if that happens. 

• Love 1

Kawhi going down really exposed the Spurs. Without Tony Parker, most of the offense and defense fell to Kawhi. And he was up to the task. Without him, the Spurs look like  a D-league team. Out of rhythm and very little team chemistry.  Ginobili still has moments of greatness, but he's older and isn't the same player he used to be. 

LaMarcus Aldridge really disappointed me. He was GOOD in Portland. What happened? Last night he could barely handle the ball, he couldn't get rebounds, and his shots wouldn't fall. I don't want to call him a bum, but his play in the 2nd half of the game was bum-ish. 

(edited)

I am disappointed that the Wizards did not win this series and advance to the ECF. I thought they were the better team in this series and would have matched up better against the Cavs and provided a more entertaining ECF than the Celtics will. But they struggled on the road and a team can't win a series if they can't win on the road. They also don't have much of a bench and players like Ian Mahinmi and Gortart struggled tonight which hurt the team. I do give credit for Bradley Beal trying to help get the Wizards back in it in the 4th quarter.

Congrats to the Celtics for advancing. They fought through a long and very physical series. Isaiah Thomas really does play with a lot of heart. Kelly Olynyk also did a nice job tonight and made some big shots in the fourth quarter that helped them win the game. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
(edited)

The 1st Half of game 2 has just ended & its no surprise that those Warriors are massacring the Spurs 72 - 44. This game & this series is OVER. I hope that ESPN finds a way to keep me awake because its pretty much nap time for me. 

It also shows how useless Mike Brown is. He is not need for that team to jell & I find his presence on that team to be very irritating. Him being  incompetent & a dunce is not rubbing off on them.

I was disappointed that the Lakers got pick #2 in the Draft. I'm sure that Big Baller Brand is happy right now. He would rather see his son play with a bunch of losers (Paul George included if & when he goes there) at his hometown (Lakers) than get picked by the Celtics (who I also don't like) & possibly help contribute to a possible future title run. 

Edited by Magog
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Magog said:

The 1st Half of game 2 has just ended & its no surprise that those Warriors are massacring the Spurs 72 - 44. This game & this series is OVER. I hope that ESPN finds a way to keep me awake because its pretty much nap time for me. 

It also shows how useless Mike Brown is. He is not need for that team to jell & I find his presence on that team to be very irritating. Him being  incompetent & a dunce is not rubbing off on them.

I was disappointed that the Lakers got pick #2 in the Draft. I'm sure that Big Baller Brand is happy right now. He would rather see his son play with a bunch of losers (Paul George included if & when he goes there) at his hometown (Lakers) than get picked by the Celtics (who I also don't like) & possibly help contribute to a possible future title run. 

I think that this Warriors/Spurs game 2 is a rough and boring game to watch.  Even on Twitter, it looks like more people are tweeting about the results of the draft lottery than they are about this game. I really hope we don't get any more sweeps in these playoffs, but Golden State could get yet another sweep with San Antonio. (And possibly Cleveland with the Celtics as well, though I hope that the Celtics will win at least one game).

I wonder who the celtics and Lakers will choose in the #1 and #2 spots. This is a guard heavy draft and I wonder if the Celtics will choose one of them. I could see the Lakers choosing Lonzo Ball at #2.

Edited by Jx223

I'm thinking Fultz to Boston and Ball to LA. 

However, it's worth thinking about that for as much interest that Lonzo Ball's dad has for Lonzo playing in LAL, does LA want Lonzo Ball as much?  There seem to be four guys who are viable picks for any team from what I hear, and Ball is certainly one of them.  But it's not a slam dunk to take ball.

Could a combined Celtics/Spurs roster at current health compete with either the Cavs or the Warriors?

C Aldridge, Olynyk
PF Horford, Gasol
SF D. Green, Crowder, J. Brown
SG Ginobili, Bradley, Simmons
PG Thomas, Mills

Still probably not, right?

What if Tim Duncan came out of retirement?  Still no?

According to fans of The LeBatard Show a team of actual wizards would lose against the Cavs, which Dan thought was ridiculous because the wizards would just levitate the ball with their wands and keep it out of LeBron's hands.

• Love 2

Wow, Lonzo's dad is a nutjob. I really hope the Lakers realize that his drama is not worth it and pass on him- that would show his asshole father that he doesn't run the NBA. And expecting a three billion dollar shoe contract? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

What if Tim Duncan came out of retirement?  Still no?

Nope. You can add 2018 Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, David Robinson, Bird, McHale, and Parish to the roster and still no difference.

12 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Could a combined Celtics/Spurs roster at current health compete with either the Cavs or the Warriors?

C Aldridge, Olynyk
PF Horford, Gasol
SF D. Green, Crowder, J. Brown
SG Ginobili, Bradley, Simmons
PG Thomas, Mills

Still probably not, right?

I say maybe. If Thomas and Tony Parker are your point guards, you'd be subbing out two guys who are fast, can handle the ball, create offense for their teammates, and can score on their own. 

Both the Spurs and Celtics have respectable 3-point shooters. 

However, I don't know if either team has someone who can reliably keep LeBron, Kyrie, or Draymond away from the basket or who dominates on the boards. Aldridge has those long arms, but he's clumsy as hell and often loses the ball after initially pulling down the rebound.

11 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

A Spurs fan is suing the Warriors for injuring Kawhi.

A FAN? What's his claim? That the Warriors are infringing on his right to entertainment? Give me a break. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, twoods said:

Wow, Lonzo's dad is a nutjob. I really hope the Lakers realize that his drama is not worth it and pass on him- that would show his asshole father that he doesn't run the NBA. And expecting a three billion dollar shoe contract? 

He may actually be helping the Pacers by keeping Paul George from leaving to join that freakshow in LA. 

But if Paul George wants to do so, hey, have at it

(edited)

Free publicity. The lawyer gets a boost in San Antonio and the presumed plaintiff gets a bunch of Facebook/Twitter followers.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

True or False: The extreme crapitude of this year's playoffs is an existential threat to the NBA.

If we spend all year knowing it's going to be the Warriors and the Cavs in the finals and it's not even entertaining getting there through an 82 game season where the Cavs stopped caring midway through and a playoffs where the two teams have had what?  One competitive game between them?  What's the point of any of it?  Is it going to be this way for at least two more years? There's such a gap between the Warriors and Cavs and the rest of the league.

I don't even know what the fix is. Players having some control over their own destiny is running counter to competitive balance. If you're the 15th best player in the NBA and you're entering Free Agency, would you rather anchor a #4-5 seed type team or join up with whatever the current super team is?  

The league better hope another team can break through against these two teams soon. Five years in a row of the same matchup would be horrible. Boston in the East is the best candidate. Not sure about the West.  San Antonio, Houston or OKC? Milwaukee?

One thought. If Durant had signed with Boston and not Golden State last offseason, both of these series right now would be fascinating, if Kawhi were healthy anyway. So maybe it's not as dire as it seems right now.

• Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

True or False: The extreme crapitude of this year's playoffs is an existential threat to the NBA.

If we spend all year knowing it's going to be the Warriors and the Cavs in the finals and it's not even entertaining getting there through an 82 game season where the Cavs stopped caring midway through and a playoffs where the two teams have had what?  One competitive game between them?  What's the point of any of it?  Is it going to be this way for at least two more years? There's such a gap between the Warriors and Cavs and the rest of the league.

I don't even know what the fix is. Players having some control over their own destiny is running counter to competitive balance. If you're the 15th best player in the NBA and you're entering Free Agency, would you rather anchor a #4-5 seed type team or join up with whatever the current super team is?  

The league better hope another team can break through against these two teams soon. Five years in a row of the same matchup would be horrible. Boston in the East is the best candidate. Not sure about the West.  San Antonio, Houston or OKC? Milwaukee?

One thought. If Durant had signed with Boston and not Golden State last offseason, both of these series right now would be fascinating, if Kawhi were healthy anyway. So maybe it's not as dire as it seems right now.

I think that this is a bad look for the NBA. The way that Boston has played tonight has been extremely disappointing. Watching the Cavs dominate them the way that they have and Watching Cavs/Warriors sweep their way throughout the playoffs is not enjoyable to watch. (Unless you are Cavs/Warrior fan.) But for those of us who root for other teams and also like basketball in general this is rough to watch. This has to be the worst playoffs I have ever seen. The Warriors are ridiculously stacked and the Cavs competition is actually getting EASIER as they advance.

I think that the Pacers have played them the toughest so far out of the the three teams that have played against them and each team afterwards has played them less competitively. In the West, I feel like one of the biggest reasons teams are struggling so much is because Golden State is so stacked, whereas with the Cavs, I think a lot of East teams are just  not playing with a good enough effort against them. (In addition to them having a bettter team than the rest of the East).

As far as teams that could compete with these Cavs/Warriors. I think that the Spurs could possibly beat them if Kawhi were healthy. Also, maybe if they added someone like a Chris Paul who I think would fit their system well. Maybe the Wizards could do better if they got a better bench.

Also, maybe a young team like the Timberwolves/Bucks could eventually compete with them as they mature and grow as a team. I don't know how long that will take though. I could see the young Bucks team being a force to reckon with as they mature, and if Jabari can come back healthy. Maybe the T-Wolves can eventually become more competitive if they learn to win more and possibly get another point guard. The T-Wolves have played a lot of close games this year, but were unable to close them out for a win. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
(edited)

Okay, I get that this season's playoffs are not good for the NBA, but in the 1980s every single Finals was either Magic's Lakers or Bird's Celtics, or both.

Then came MJ's Bulls & then Kobe's Lakers dominating.

There will always be at least one, usually two teams that dominate through any given decade.

ETA:  somebody forgot to tell the Celtics that the first two games were in Boston.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4

Lakers dominated but they had different teams meet them in the Finals. Plus, they had good rivalries with the Blazers and Kings, then the Spurs and Boston. What is happening right now is a joke. The Spurs had a chance but after Leonard's injury, forget about it. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, twoods said:

Lakers dominated but they had different teams meet them in the Finals. Plus, they had good rivalries with the Blazers and Kings, then the Spurs and Boston. What is happening right now is a joke. The Spurs had a chance but after Leonard's injury, forget about it. 

Yeah, a big difference is that other teams during times like the Lakers domination were still competitive teams. The Blazers/ Kings were decent and competitive, the Pacers/76ers were good competitive teams at this time, the Knicks were also playing well and competing shortly before the Lakers started dominating and during the early part of their domination. Unlike these current playoffs where teams are just getting beat down and/or are lying down.

I think it would be easier to enjoy these playoffs if some other teams at least played more competitively and actually won some games. We really could end up having both the Cavs and the Warriors sweep their way to the finals and I don't think that is good for the NBA. 

• Love 2

For me it's not even the sweeps that are the problem, it's that every game is so damn boring.  I mean if the Warriors won in four but the outcome of each game was in doubt until the final seconds it would be more entertaining than what we have in both series now.

And I'm not even a little bit of a fan of LBJ so what the Celtics are doing is personally angering me.

• Love 2

These playoffs suck, all there is to it. 

Celtics do get two more high draft picks most likely, this year and next, its their chance to make a run at the Cavs. 

If Paul George leaves the Pacers though he'd be better off going somewhere other than the Lakers if he expects to win a title.  Join a contender or at least a good team.  Make it interesting.  Houston, Boston, SA.  Heck even Toronto or Washington.  Right now the east is still a joke, Cleveland and everyone else. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

These playoffs suck, all there is to it. 

Celtics do get two more high draft picks most likely, this year and next, its their chance to make a run at the Cavs. 

If Paul George leaves the Pacers though he'd be better off going somewhere other than the Lakers if he expects to win a title.  Join a contender or at least a good team.  Make it interesting.  Houston, Boston, SA.  Heck even Toronto or Washington.  Right now the east is still a joke, Cleveland and everyone else. 

The reason it's "a joke" - which it isn't - is because no Free Agent wants to go against LeBron during ECF. I'm sorry, but almost every FA looks to the West for a chance to get to the Finals.  GSW has shown during a couple of games, some vulnerability when they were down big.  But then they came back during a rampage.

KD didn't have to go to GSW.  Many teams in the East were willing to pay him.  But he didn't even look there.  He wants a ring. Period.

I hope he doesn't get one this year.  ?

• Love 1
(edited)

I think that this is a bad look for the NBA. The way that Boston has played tonight has been extremely disappointing. Watching the Cavs dominate them the way that they have and Watching Cavs/Warriors sweep their way throughout the playoffs is not enjoyable to watch. (Unless you are Cavs/Warrior fan.) But for those of us who root for other teams and also like basketball in general this is rough to watch. This has to be the worst playoffs I have ever seen. The Warriors are ridiculously stacked and the Cavs competition is actually getting EASIER as they advance.

I was hoping that the Cavaliers would be in the Finals again this year. But, I did not expect it to be somewhat of a cakewalk like it is now. Last night was so much fun to watch. I could of taken a nap at halftime like I would normally do watching those Warriors massacre somebody, but I couldn't take my eyes off of that ass whooping. It won't be as much fun tonight seeing those Warriors pummeling the Spurs again.

This 10 game playoff winning streak is nice, but I could careless about it. The only thing that matters is the Cavaliers hoisting that NBA Trophy again & wiping that smile off of Stephen Curry's face.

KD didn't have to go to GSW.  Many teams in the East were willing to pay him.  But he didn't even look there.  He wants a ring. Period.

I hope he doesn't get one this year. 

I hope he doesn't either. Having the thought of seeing him with Stephen Curry & his smugness, Klay Thompson, that crybaby Javale McGee, & that dunce Mike Brown celebrating that NBA title at the Cavs expense is downright vomit-inducing. 

We won't have to worry about Paul George contending for an NBA Title when he goes to the Lakers either this off season or the next. I'm very hopeful of that. He & Big Baller Brand will fit in perfectly together while they get curb stomped on a daily basis by those Warriors. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

The reason it's "a joke" - which it isn't - is because no Free Agent wants to go against LeBron during ECF. I'm sorry, but almost every FA looks to the West for a chance to get to the Finals.  GSW has shown during a couple of games, some vulnerability when they were down big.  But then they came back during a rampage.

I hope he doesn't get one this year.  ?

If that is what free agents are thinking, avoiding Lebron, I think they are making a mistake.  Its much harder to make it through the West still than the East, even with Lebron there. 

Plus Lebron is going to be 33 next year.  He is going to start to decline with age.  You don't see it now, but its still going to happen.  Jordan won his last title at 35, and he had two years off mid career. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

KD might have been the most obvious in his move, but I don't think he started the trend. LeBron did going to Miami. He orchestrated the combination of three All Star players (including one with a ring). I also think his return to Cleveland was influenced by the fact that the collapse of the team after his departure put them in a position to acquire enough talent (Three number one picks. Remember Gilbert's kid at the draft lottery?) for them to win a championship. (Kyrie Irving and the ability to trade for Kevin Love with Andrew Wiggins) 

3 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Lonzo really needs to separate himself from his father. His brand (as the guy who actually has talent and is getting paid) is becoming toxic.

I'm beginning to wonder if we are headed to ESPN 30 for 30 Broke Part II.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

KD might have been the most obvious in his move, but I don't think he started the trend. LeBron did going to Miami. He orchestrated the combination of three All Star players (including one with a ring). I also think his return to Cleveland was influenced by the fact that the collapse of the team after his departure put them in a position to acquire enough talent (Three number one picks. Remember Gilbert's kid at the draft lottery?) for them to win a championship. (Kyrie Irving and the ability to trade for Kevin Love with Andrew Wiggins) 

Lonzo really needs to separate himself from his father. His brand (as the guy who actually has talent and is getting paid) is becoming toxic.

You misunderstood me.  I wasn't talking abt the trend of going where the $ is, but rather the trend of stars to avoid LeBron in the East.  Not all, of course, but since went to MI and won a ring, stars started avoiding the East, so they could take the "easier" route of not having to face LeBron right away (I'm not saying the West was by no means easy).

KD could've gone to ATL, TOR, BOS but he wants that ring and the only way in his mind, is to join the other super team, and thereby avoiding LeBron until the finals.

And yes, I feel sorry for Lonzo.  He seems like a decent kid.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Now the theoretical combined Celtics/Spurs roster at current health would probably be swept by either the Cavs or Warriors. 

They'd probably be swept by NCAA champion NCU.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't care about the Celtics or the Cavs, but I'd like for this series to end in 4 to give the Celtics a quick mercy death.  Just be done with it.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1