Type keyword(s) to search

Midwives and nuns in other roles

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, marypat57 said:

Emerald Fennell won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Promising Young Woman!!!!! 

Hooray for “Patsy”!!!!!!!!!!!

I was clapping like mad! The movie was good, disturbing but good. 

• Love 2
On 8/16/2020 at 6:47 AM, debraran said:
On 3/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, wonderwoman said:

was so excited to come across miranda hart's bbc show on amazon prime. unfortunately, it's that that very broad british humor with an unbearably loud laugh track. couldn't make it past the 2nd episode.  

I watched the first 2 seasons but every season to me after that wasn't as good. It seemed they were written more quickly. My sister loves British humor and had to use her inhaler (asthmatic) the first season. The scenes with her mom just hit home. I think it's something most fans should check out, you'll love it or leave it but if you love it, you'll get very needed laughs.

Miranda's show got me through the beginning of the pandemic!  It did get way over the top as the season's went on but it seemed like the cast didn't take it too seriously so I just went along for the fun. I am Canadian so I like the British humour. They tried to remake this in the US  about a cat cafe. Now that show was terrible!!

Speaking of terrible US remakes. I was checking out the new show Ghosts, it seemed sort of funny but then I saw it was a remake of a British show. I found this show online and the lead woman is Charlotte Richie (Barbara) !!!  She is great and the show is funny and sweet and I  will not be watching the US version.

• Love 5

We finished bingeing Doc Martin over the weekend, and then I realized there were two made-for-TV movies that predated the series.

In the second movie was a buxom woman (kind of a new age flake) played by Pam Ferris (Sister Evangelina).  Honestly, I saw her name in the beginning credits, but didn't recognize her at first!!!!  I paused the TV with a good close-up of her, and hubby had no idea who she was.

• Love 2

My .02...Harriet Walter is in one of my favorite Poirot movies, with David Suchet, THE Poirot. It's called "Cat Among the Pigeons." Also Pam Ferris is in "Malice in Wonderland," a funny. quirky movie with Maggie Grace. There was another production I've seen, not sure of the title, but it was set during WWII, and Linda Bassett played a Jewish woman who with her husband was desperate to find a place of refuge.

• Love 4

I'm watching Casualty, which is sort of the British version of ER, and Jack Ashton is guest starring!  He's kind of a bad guy in this one.

Incidentally, the actor who played Jimmy plays a doctor with Huntington's Chorea on the show although he has no symptoms as of yet

The show is available on Britbox.

Jack played Tom Hereward in case you didn't remember.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

We like to watch Rifftrax, where they make fun of bad movies. Last night we had the not pleasure of watching The Apple, one of the crappiest musicals from the 80s. Just awful, but shock of shocks, Miriam Margolyes, played the Land Lady. 

• Love 2

I just started binge-watching 'The Crown' (I checked out the first two seasons on DVD from my local library).  Okay, I've barely started watching it, since I've only seen the first episode, but I figured some of you who have seen the series so far can fill me in on who from 'Call the midwife' I should be on the lookout for as I watch.  I've already seen 'Sister Ursula' as Mrs. Churchill, and I know that 'Patsy' will be showing up as Camilla in the third season.  I'm sure that there are others that will pop up. 

• Love 2

I was watching Daniel Deronda on AmazonPrime, I think, and low and behold Miss Higgins (who became one of my faves) shows up as Lady Mallinger. I was so excited to see her! The movie is from 2002 and Georgie Glen is adorable. 

• Love 2

I watched Bramwell with Jemma Redgrave (niece of Vanessa) who was one of the first women doctors and established a hospital in the East End. Cliff Parisi played a hospital porter (of all things!), Jenny was in the last season as Bramwell's relative(?) who was a patron of the hospital. Linda Bassett played a woman who had been blinded and was nearly raped.  

• Love 2
On 11/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, caitmcg said:

Pam Ferris, our erstwhile Sister Evangelina, plays Queen Victoria in the upcoming film Holmes and Watson.

And she was Trunchbull (the headmistress) in Matilda.

On 6/6/2022 at 10:00 PM, Redrum said:

Found a young Jenny Agutter in An American Werewolf in London

image.png.661b0e383b6033b8b081e01b218e5e06.png

And she was in Logan's Run with Michael York.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Helen George will be playing Anna Leonowens in the UK tour of "The King and I" starting in February 2023.  

It shouldn't interfere with CTM since the show films in the late spring to November.

• Love 2

It looks like Helen George isn't the only one touring the UK in a theatrical production.

According to her Instagram, Laura Main is starring in a production of "Steel Magnolias" which begins touring next week.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I love it too, and I can say easily that in that picture, thats really the most clothing Jenny Aguttar wore in the film....

She wore less than that in "American Werewolf in London."  

• Like 1

I think there was a time when Jenny Agutter was transitioning from child actor (she worked A LOT) to leading lady, and she went to Hollywood to see if she could get some big screen roles (according to Wikipedia, she moved there in '74). She did have some big roles in American and British films. She moved back to England in the '90s, and did more TV work, with some film roles.

I'm glad she didn't stick around LA and get a ton of plastic surgery.

Oh, and here's a link to "The Railway Children," the 1970 film that put Dame Jenny on the map as a child star! (Free, with ads).

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 1

Netflix in the US is releasing the 2020 docu-series Miriam Marogolys: Almost Australian. Here’s a review in the Guardian. Apparently she did a similar show i the US, and per IMDB, she has one coming about Scotland.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

I was watching Ridley and thinking "I KNOW THAT VOICE" and there she was (she's in a mask in her first scenes). US folks, it's on PBS now.

Yes, I was watching it and thinking that it probably was the show I posted about last summer.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:49 PM, caitmcg said:

Netflix in the US is releasing the 2020 docu-series Miriam Marogolys: Almost Australian. Here’s a review in the Guardian. Apparently she did a similar show i the US, and per IMDB, she has one coming about Scotland.

I've seen Miriam and Alan Cumming in Alan and Miriam:  Lost in Scotland (three episodes) and the latest Alan and Miriam:  Lost in Scotland and Beyond.  They include a trip to Hollywood in this latest series.  It's a lot of fun, but it's rather sad to see how disabled Miriam is now.  She walked short distances with a cane, and used a scooter or wheelchair.  This season she has to use two canes for short distances.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I was watching a show called Helen West, about a Crown Prosecutor, and Annabelle Apsion (Violet) and Cliff Parisi (Fred) were in the same episode. I got bored about a third of the way through so I don't know if they had any scenes together, but I wonder if they remembered that when they were cast for CtM as the Buckles.

Leonie Elliott (midwife Lucille) did a reading at the Princess of Wales' annual carol service at Westminster Abbey, which was broadcast in the UK on Christmas Eve and in Australia on Christmas Day. She read a specially commissioned poem by Joseph Coelho, the Children’s Laureate, and it was lovely. If you click on this link you can see some photos of her at the service - she looks stunning and I hardly recognised her out of her nurse's uniform!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, purist said:

Leonie Elliott (midwife Lucille) did a reading at the Princess of Wales' annual carol service at Westminster Abbey, which was broadcast in the UK on Christmas Eve and in Australia on Christmas Day. She read a specially commissioned poem by Joseph Coelho, the Children’s Laureate, and it was lovely. If you click on this link you can see some photos of her at the service - she looks stunning and I hardly recognised her out of her nurse's uniform!

It's really the CTM wig vs. her real hair, more than the modern suit that makes it hard to see Lucille.

(edited)

I was watching The Chelsea Detective and recognized one of the actresses, Ella Bruccoleri --- Sister Frances! Her character was a suspect in a murder/drug case. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2

Ella Bruccoleri also had a part in an episode of All Creatures Great and Small from last year IIRC.

I’m watching Inspector Morse for the first time, and I’m up to the final season/series. In an ep that was released in 1997, Ben Caplan (Chummy’s Peter) has a couple of lines as a bartender. It was a very small part, but I recognized him right away.

• Like 1