Type keyword(s) to search

Midwives and nuns in other roles

• Start Topic

Some of the actors have been in other roles and have been mentioned in some of the episode threads.

I have been catching up on Wolf Hall, and was surprised to recognise Jessica Raine (Jenny) as Jane Boleyn, Vicountess Rochford.   There was a scene where Anne Boleyn was having a miscarriage, and sure enough, Jane and one of the other ladies-in-waiting rushed to her side.

What are some other the other roles other of the actors have portrayed?

I saw Jenny Agutter naked in some movie on TCM once. That was a bit awkward. Sorry, Sister Julienne.

Some other appearances have likely been discussed in the character threads.

• Love 1

Jenny Agutter turned up in The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier as a member of the World Security council. It was very odd to see her beat the crap out of some security guards. 

But not nearly as weird as seeing Pam Ferris as the awful Miss Trunchbull in Matilda and the even worse Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

(edited)
But not nearly as weird as seeing Pam Ferris as the awful Miss Trunchbull in Matilda and the even worse Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

But I adored her in Rosemary and Thyme.

I saw Jenny Agutter naked in some movie on TCM once. That was a bit awkward. Sorry, Sister Julienne.

I suggest Walkabout for an image of her you can never unsee.

Edited by MaryHedwig

My first experience with Jenny Agutter was just as one of the actresses the guys in Coupling would reference as someone they had fond memories of seeing naked in movies. I had no idea who she was, so years later when I started watching CtM and saw her name I was sort of tickled. But to this day in my head the name Jenny Agutter is always said in the voice of Richard Coyle (who played Jeff on Coupling). 

Patrick: Why Helen Mirren?
Jeff: Because she's just so naked, isn't she? It's like she's just got to get her clothes off. It's like her breasts are afraid of the dark. When a Helen Mirren film comes on the telly, that's like a guarantee. Her name says, "Okay, boys, you better watch this one with the curtains shut."

Jeff: Jenny Agutter!

Patrick: Oh yes! Jenny Agutter is consistent. Jenny Agutter's like a brand name of screen nudity. Even in Logan's Run, fwoop, for no reason at all.

Jeff: Walkabout.

Patrick: What a movie.

Jeff: Fantastic movie!

Patrick: Walkabout is the industry standard for frontal work. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I had never seen Jenny Agutter in anything before Call the Midwife, but I've just been watching the first couple of seasons of MI5, and it's fun to see her play a character that ranges through the darker end of the gray scale.

• Love 1

Somehow I missed her "get to know" video. Mustn't have been checking out the Strictly website. She seemed a lot more animated there than what we saw at the beginning of the show. She must have been really nervous those first few weeks.

Loved their Quickstep. It's even better the second time around.

• Love 1

For those who get the station, Logan's Run, starring Michael York and our own Sister J, Jenny Agutter, will be broadcast on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this Saturday, May 6, at 2:15pm Eastern. Because it's on TCM and they don't mess with their movies, this will be unedited with no commercials.

• Love 3

In addition to the roles (including in Sense and Sensibility and Downton) mentioned in the S6 threads, Harriet Walter was in two more recent shows, The Crown on Netflix (as Churchill's wife), and London Spy  (which has an all-around stellar cast: Ben Wishaw, Jim Broadbent, Charlotte Rampling, and which I recommend if you're good with gritty). As noted in the episode threads, despite the fact that Sister Ursula was an ill-conceived plot point, Walter is good in everything. 

• Love 2

My husband's been on a "Classic Stephen King" kick lately, and over the weekend we watched Dolores Claiborne for the first time. Imagine our suprise to see Judy Parfitt as Dolores's rich, bitchy employer!

• Love 1

I recently started watching a British courtroom drama from the 90's called "Kavanaugh QC."  Anyway, Cliff Parisi who plays Fred Buckle plays a legal assistant in it.  He's much younger, somewhat thinner and with somewhat more hair, but you can tell it's him.

Linda Bassett is on at least one episode too.  

Edited by Badger
new information
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2018 at 10:16 PM, Kohola3 said:

Patsy just turned up on Victoria as a lady mathematician.

She portrayed Ada Lovelace, who worked with Charles Babbage, designer of the first multi-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. Ada realized that the computer could be used for more than simple arithmatic, and came up with an algorithm that the machine could use to calculate Bernoulli numbers.  She is now recognized as the first computer programmer.

Why, yes, I work with computers!  Why, yes, I am a geek!!

• Love 6

I saw Judy Parfitt (Sister Monica Joan) playing Vera Donovan opposite Kathy Bates in Dolores Claiborne.  She was excellent.  She plays both a 50/60-ish version and 70/80-ish version of her character who is suffering from Alzheimer's and whose death is a central mystery of the movie. 

• Love 2

Not a nun or a midwife, but I was just watching the second episode of Season 6 of "Downton Abbey."  I thought the guy who was interviewing Thomas looked familiar.  And yep, it's the same guy who is playing Sergeant Woolf now.  

• Love 1

I just watched a Graham Norton episode, in which they featured "great storytelling."  Watch it if you can find it.  It features Miriam Margolyes.  Trust me, she is NOT a nun-like person in real life . . . nor is she Professor Sprout from Harry Potter.

If you don't have time to watch the whole episode, fast forward to the last 5 minutes.  Hubby and I were rolling on the floor.

• Love 4
(edited)

The 'Dentist' song from Little shop of horrors showed up on my recommended videos on YouTube.  Naturally I watched it (and sang along) and then noticed Miriam Margolyes was the dentist's assistant who got smacked in the face with a door!

Edited by Ceindreadh
missing words
  • Love 1

He! IIRC Norton calls Margolyes the best storyteller on his show. But dear God, her stories are not for the faint of heart. I remember her best as disapproving aunt on Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - another character far, far away from her true persona 😉

• Love 4
On 6/6/2015 at 3:25 PM, MaryHedwig said:

But I adored her in Rosemary and Thyme.

I had no idea!  Gives me a little more empathy for Aunt Marge.  Loved Rosemary and Thyme!  Great testament to her as an actress that she so completely transforms herself!  (and that the nun's habit pretty much disguises her.)

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, wonderwoman said:

was so excited to come across miranda hart's bbc show on amazon prime. unfortunately, it's that that very broad british humor with an unbearably loud laugh track. couldn't make it past the 2nd episode.  

I watched the first 2 seasons but every season to me after that wasn't as good. It seemed they were written more quickly. My sister loves British humor and had to use her inhaler (asthmatic) the first season. The scenes with her mom just hit home. I think it's something most fans should check out, you'll love it or leave it but if you love it, you'll get very needed laughs.

The other day I watched the film version of I Capture the Castle (on Amazon Prime, but only through next weekend), which was adapted for the screen by Heidi Thomas. It’s pretty faithful to the book, for the most part, thank goodness. 

• Love 1

Has anyone else seen the movie Promising Young Woman, written and directed by Emerald Fennell (Patsy)? I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Emerald has a very small role in it as well as writing, directing and co-producing. She and the film (and lead actor Carey Mulligan) have been nominated for heaps of awards, including Golden Globe nominations for screenplay and direction.

ETA: There's a discussion thread for the movie here.

Edited by purist
  • Love 4

I'm super late in realizing this but I now know that Heidi Thomas was responsible for the Upstairs, Downstairs revival. I thought it was great and was very annoyed it ended where it did.