Type keyword(s) to search

The Kelly File: Duggar Interview 2015.06.03

I'm not seeing a lot of criticism of Kelly beyond her bad weave.  Did I miss something?  (Lots of criticism of the Duggar parents, but not Kelly.)

Yes, the apparent hole in the side of her nose, you missed that too.

• Love 6

Did anyne watch the Kelly File last night? I only caught the beginning but she had one some guy with the last name "Zimmerman' who was a dirty liberal heathen ( LOL) and they had a really civil discussion about the Duggars and the interview and they showed clips from the interview that weren't shown on Wed. They also showed reactions from other news outlets. They came to the conclusion that both republicans and democrats hate child molesters.

Megyn Kelly did give them enough rope to hang themselves and did not defend them really. I wouldn't say her stance was neutral, she seeemed to give an opinion without directly saying anything. It really peaked my interest in Friday.

I missed the end because I fell asleep but I think the whole ' was the report release legal' was discussed, did anyone see?

Also- one of the biggest things that pissed me off is that in the whole is Josh a pedophile- Jboob keeps saying ' he was 14 just turned 15'. LISTEN ASSHOLE- THAT MEANS HE IS 15!!!!!!!

UGH! He can't even be truthful about his sons freaking age. Jboob is a sneaky slimy creepazoid and I fear for all those poor kids left in that house.

Saw the very end of the show last night-- MK got VERY vocal about the report being released and its adverse effect on the victims. She quoted Ark. regulations regarding the matter and had two guests ( forget their names)-- on either side of the issue. Megyn had to concede at the end that it wasn't a clear-cut issue because the regs. said one thing (illegal release) while two Ark. judges issued opinions that releasing such reports was allowable.
  • Love 2

I'm curious as to what kind of training they had that qualified them for the big bucks they're all getting for appearing on a reality show.  TLC and the rest of their ilk just seek out people who have something different going on that will make people want to watch, and the further from the norm, the better.  I mean, look at the shows out there; My 600 pound Life, Hoarding, My Strange Addiction, etc.  Most of us don't have people like that in our regular lives, so its entertaining to watch things that are complete foreign to us and things that are surprising, shocking, and outrageous. 

You would also have to include Alana Honey Boo Boo as having the same training, right?    In reality (pun intended) there is no training. Networks find people who have parents who are willing to exploit them.    In the case of the Duggars, its a mass of kids with no stand out personality at all, its just the number of kids. In Honey Boo Boo's case, she does have a big personality, likes to fart and pick her nose.

And as the above poster states about the surprises, shocks etc....I would say that there is a 99% chance the networks know all about these secrets and wait in silent glee and deposit slips for everything to blow.

In wondering about who tipped off who, it very well could of been TLC.  One last way to cash in before the ship sinks with a couple of specials or as simple as teaching greedy JB who he is dealing with when he pissed them off.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Megyn Kelly did an adequate job with the interview.  She could've gotten into more depth with them, but, in this case, I think her more laid-back 'let them dig their own graves' approach worked.  Had a real investigative reporter interviewed them, JB and Michelle would've  folded like a couple of cheap lawn chairs.  They're not that bright and they don't have the experience or skills to defend themselves against a real fact finding interview.  Had she really gotten down and dirty with the follow-up questions and broken them; the Duggars and their supporters would've claimed another 'unprecedented attack' was launched by the evil media, that even Fox News betrayed their trust.  These are shallow, shallow people who really don't have a clue as to how it would look if they continued down the path of protecting their son at the expense of their daughters.  She let them show themselves to the world as they really are and that was more than enough to end their teevee careers.

As for Jessa and Jill volunteering to speak out, remember how these girls were raised.  From blanket training to being 'trained' to be instantly obedient and never question their parents, to being told they must 'keep sweet' no matter what; these girls have had no opportunity to exercise their free will ever.  These are the same girls who claim they love wearing their long hair permed because that's how their Daddy likes it, who would never bare their shoulders or their knees and who were fine with getting parental permission before even speaking to a boy and then followed the ridiculous courtship rules laid down by their parents.  Hell, Jill wanted to be a midwife but had to settle for some half assed program of pseudo midwifery because her parents would've disowned her had she gone to a real accredited school.  I'm sure if asked, they'd claim that they did these things because they wanted it that way; not because they've been raised their whole lives to do what their parents expect without deviation or complaint.  I doubt Jim Bob or Michelle had to formally tell them to do the interview, but I don't believe the girls have the agency to do anything but what their parents expect of them.  They've got a lifetime spent as virtual hostages to their parents wishes and almost complete isolation from other POV.  It's like Stockholm Syndrome magnified to the nth degree.  I am sure they think the interview was their choice, but I suspect most of us, if we'd been at the compound and witnessed the events that lead up to it would agree that they had no free will in the matter. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 16

I'm curious as to what kind of training they had that qualified them for the big bucks they're all getting for appearing on a reality show.  TLC and the rest of their ilk just seek out people who have something different going on that will make people want to watch, and the further from the norm, the better.  I mean, look at the shows out there; My 600 pound Life, Hoarding, My Strange Addiction, etc.  Most of us don't have people like that in our regular lives, so its entertaining to watch things that are complete foreign to us and things that are surprising, shocking, and outrageous. 

Once, they had the training that came from living their whole lives in a house with 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 children and COUNTING (including counting the days-of-mom's-cycle calendar up on the refrigerator door).

Now, they got nothin.

Can't see who'll want to watch. Or advertise. Especially after this week is over.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Duggars belong to a very specific subset of Christianity. It is exclusive to the point that they reject everything today’s churches have become. They’ve branched off from a bigger religion to be a part of their own, more exclusive sect. They widely promote a lifestyle based on an extremist belief system dubbed “Christian Patriarchy” that involves the absolute submission of women to men.

The family attends what they call a “home church,”and we have a little insight into what a “home church” actually is. Apparently, the Duggars (and a few other families) meet in a low-profile, unassuming space, don’t take government tax benefits, and don’t pass around a collection plate. Instead, they gather to hear from each other, the church elders, and the occasional guest speaker, followed by food and fellowship

Here's the bottom line. This form of extreme religious isolation and beliefs just does not work in today's society. We, as a society, have evolved and are no longer willing victims to extremist religious zealots who wish to impose their archaic rituals and beliefs onto masses of people through television. It just absolutely does NOT work and that's why they are in a very small minority as far as their religion goes. It takes a high-profile incident like this to reveal what harm these cults can actually do.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 11

I'm not seeing a lot of criticism of Kelly beyond her bad weave.  Did I miss something?  (Lots of criticism of the Duggar parents, but not Kelly.)

You're right, nextIteration, most had pretty good things to say, and I'm actually amazed - Fox New Channel definitely isn't for everyone.  Lots of people on this board said they refused to watch it because they can't watch the channel.  Besides her bad hair extensions, the only other thing that bothered me about her was that dent in her nose!  At first I thought she was sporting a nose stud!  Seriously!  ha! 

• Love 2

Pardon my language, but this dumb **** couldn't or wouldn't even consult with a lawyer in regards to making sure those police reports regarding his children never saw the light of day.  He was either too stupid or too cheap then and I don't think either of those things has changed.    

It's astonishing to me that he thinks this will really make a statement. Mostly, it just shows how stupid he is. Again -- if he thinks the police chief and the city attorney of Springfield (I'm guessing the city attorney would be dealing with lawsuits against the PD) will sit quietly while he gets on national TV and maligns them, they're mistaken. Jim Boob has a lot more to lose as the result of stuff like oh, discovery than he could imagine.

It's astonishing to me that for someone so "shrewd", he has little to no common sense. Whoever dreamed up the "it was illegal to release the report" was uninformed. Every time he tries to refocus the narrative on how victimized he and his wife are due to the release of the report, he shows himself to be (again) less than concerned about the effects on his daughters. The best thing he could do for his family is to SHUT UP, but nobody seems to have the balls to tell him that.

• Love 7

I feel terrible for the survivors here, I cannot stress it enough.

That said, the only "outing" of the older girls that were abused was by the family themselves, the police report was vague enough that there was no real way to pick out which three they were.  Having two of them identify themselves in an interview just skeeves me out, what is the purpose?  The public did not need to know!

The invalidation of any emotions they may have had or still have about being molested is almost as bad as the molestation itself.  ::sigh::

• Love 6

I think if a judge who was an ally of my BFF the former governor/presidential candidate with a show on Fox took on themselves to handle that, I would have assumed it was handled too.

It is my understanding that they had the reports removed only after they found out this was breaking. 

• Love 1

Trying up decide what Derick and Ben are feeling in regards to tonight's part of the interview. Were they all for it,just supportive.... Or are the girls defying their wishes and doing the interview over their objection?

• Love 2

Training? Let's be serious now. The only training was a trained uterus popping out babies. It's been said many times that TLC focuses on things that are bizarre and out of the ordinary. If you're someone that lives outside of mainstream of society, TLC will sign you up. So, If you happen to be a 'little' person, that weighs over 200 pounds, has 20 kids and can whistle 'Dixie' out of her ass, you're exactly the kind of person TLC has been searching for.

• Love 7

I am probably in the minority here, but watching the snippets from tonight's interview on Today show and GMA just makes me less sympathetic toward Jill and Jessa.  When asked directly if they are "victims" Jessa says that the whole thing is being "overblown."  But then she goes on to say that they ARE victims because the story was leaked.  So which is it, you weren't a victim then, but you are now??

And the way they smile when they are talking about this.  Who does that?  It is creepy.  They are in a no-win situation.  Their job is to defend Josh, downplay and minimize what happened. They are doing so much more harm than good.

Ugh.  Even in 2015, incest is such a taboo subject.  They are just a very bad joke now.

• Love 12

That said, the only "outing" of the older girls that were abused was by the family themselves, the police report was vague enough that there was no real way to pick out which three they were.  Having two of them identify themselves in an interview just skeeves me out, what is the purpose?

The purpose is to try to save the sinking ship. Notice that it's the two who 1) are most comfortable in front of the cameras, 2) have the most to lose (potential new shows and $$$).

• Love 7

I didn't watch the interview (I can't stand the thought of watching anything on Fox News) and I don't watch 19 Kids and Counting, but are aware of them because I do see the commercials for their show (while I watch the Little Couple).

Everyone has already made the obvious points about the parents protecting Josh above their girls.  It just blows my mind that there are women in the US in this day and age who still believe that we have to be subservient to men.  Boggles the mind.  As an adult if you make that decision, whatever, to each their own.  I just don't agree with raising your children that way.  That girls do not hold as much value as boys.

As everyone else has stated, once you open yourself up to live in the spotlight by choosing to be on a reality show, you open yourself up to media scrutiny.

I sympathize with the girls over what they've had to endure.  I don't sympathize with them about them losing their show/possibility of a show.  That's the real world, nothing is guaranteed forever.  Use whatever money you have and get a skill/education or make sure your husband has one if you're going the stay at home mom route.

It blows my mind too.

But then I remember that it has been less than 100 years since women got the vote. Hell, in my state, CT, birth control (for married women, mind you) wasn't legal til 1965.

• Love 4

The Duggars belong to a very specific subset of Christianity. It is exclusive to the point that they reject everything today’s churches have become. They’ve branched off from a bigger religion to be a part of their own, more exclusive sect. They widely promote a lifestyle based on an extremist belief system dubbed “Christian Patriarchy” that involves the absolute submission of women to men.

The family attends what they call a “home church,”and we have a little insight into what a “home church” actually is. Apparently, the Duggars (and a few other families) meet in a low-profile, unassuming space, don’t take government tax benefits, and don’t pass around a collection plate. Instead, they gather to hear from each other, the church elders, and the occasional guest speaker, followed by food and fellowship

Here's the bottom line. This form of extreme religious isolation and beliefs just does not work in today's society. We, as a society, have evolved and are no longer willing victims to extremist religious zealots who wish to impose their archaic rituals and beliefs onto masses of people through television. It just absolutely not work and that's why they are in a very small minority as far as their religion goes. It takes a high-profile incident like this to reveal what harm these cults can actually do.

What strikes me is that virtually everything the Duggars do is echoed closely by the structure and practices of my own insane family -- except that in my family no religious reasons were advanced to justify what was done. It was all just the personal demands of a malevolent lunatic. So in my opinion, this extremist offshoot of a church is actually a fraternal club in which sick control freaks gather so that they can use their numbers and a made-up theology as added cudgels to enhance their personal power.

Sort of the way the Divine Right of Kings gave monarchs a pass to just be assholes.

• Love 9

I must be missing a step or something but I can't seem to get words bolded or italicized just by highlighting and clicking the icon.

Can anyone help and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance and sorry for the O/T.

I am probably in the minority here, but watching the snippets from tonight's interview on Today show and GMA just makes me less sympathetic toward Jill and Jessa.  When asked directly if they are "victims" Jessa says that the whole thing is being "overblown."  But then she goes on to say that they ARE victims because the story was leaked.  So which is it, you weren't a victim then, but you are now??

And the way they smile when they are talking about this.  Who does that?  It is creepy.  They are in a no-win situation.  Their job is to defend Josh, downplay and minimize what happened. They are doing so much more harm than good.

Ugh.  Even in 2015, incest is such a taboo subject.  They are just a very bad joke now.

Something tells me you will not be alone -- at all -- in those opinions.

I've seen a snippet, and I expect a lot of people will be just as creeped out by them and their message as they were by JB and M. Which is saying something.

• Love 3

The purpose is to try to save the sinking ship. Notice that it's the two who 1) are most comfortable in front of the cameras, 2) have the most to lose (potential new shows and $$$).

I understand that part, I'm just not sure that survivors that weren't invalidated in the first place, would proceed that way, if that makes sense?

When asked directly if they are "victims" Jessa says that the whole thing is being "overblown."  But then she goes on to say that they ARE victims because the story was leaked.  So which is it, you weren't a victim then, but you are now??.

I've been struggling with this as well. I'm not sure how anyone can say that the actual abuse had almost no effect (because they were sleeping) and simultaneously claim that the publication of the abuse is traumatic. If the abuse was minor, why is the publication so victimizing? I am deeply sympathetic to the girls. I just can't reconcile the two positions. It makes me wonder about how "minor" the abuse was.

For example, I was in an abusive relationship once. It was a very emotional situation for me. I was overcome with feelings of helplessness, vulnerability, embarrassment at my vulnerability, etc. if someone told my peers that I was involved in an abusive relationship, I would definitely have an emotional reaction because it would take me back to that emotional place. It would stir up all of those feelings.

On the other hand, if someone told all my friends that I wore tacky, acid-washed jeans as a teen, I would just laugh. I have no emotion about that. I wasn't teased about it or anything. It was the eighties. I thought I looked good.

If Josh's abuse was a non-issue for them, why does the release of the information move them to tears? It makes me wonder if the abuse has more of an effect than they are acknowledging.

• Love 13
(edited)

I am probably in the minority here, but watching the snippets from tonight's interview on Today show and GMA just makes me less sympathetic toward Jill and Jessa. When asked directly if they are "victims" Jessa says that the whole thing is being "overblown." But then she goes on to say that they ARE victims because the story was leaked. So which is it, you weren't a victim then, but you are now??

Jill and Jessa “You can't eat your cake, and have it too"

I've been trying to avoid commenting on the snipets.  Because the context of the whole interview will hopefully provide the best answer.  But....

Perhaps what they are saying is I didn't feel victimized by what Josh did 12 years ago but I do feel victimized by the leaking of these reports now.

So yes they can feel like they were not a victim then but are a victim now.  2 different pieces of cake.  You can eat one and keep one.

Edited by aethera
Fixed a broken quote :)
  • Love 8

People who are taught that "Happiness is Godliness" smile inappropriately.  I had a therapist point out to me, after telling a very traumatic experience, that I was smiling like a loon the whole time.  If I smile or laugh, then it must truly not be that bad. It's taken years to get to the point where I feel comfortable expressing anger, disappointment, or talking about conflict without feeling like I'm doing something wrong or sinful. 

• Love 8

Trying up decide what Derick and Ben are feeling in regards to tonight's part of the interview. Were they all for it,just supportive.... Or are the girls defying their wishes and doing the interview over their objection?

When asked directly if they are "victims" Jessa says that the whole thing is being "overblown."  But then she goes on to say that they ARE victims because the story was leaked.  So which is it, you weren't a victim then, but you are now??

I think she is not saying she wasn't Josh's victim but that she was and she agrees with the family narrative that she forgave Josh, he made a mistake, and its all now in the past. And now that she has moved on, the media has dregged this all up and thats making her angry because she was a child molestation victim being outed publically and her life *is* pretty effectively ruined as far as the tv show goes.

• Love 4

On the other hand, if someone told all my friends that I wore tacky, acid-washed jeans as a teen, I would just laugh. I have no emotion about that. I wasn't teased about it or anything. It was the eighties. I thought I looked good.

If Josh's abuse was a non-issue for them, why does the release of the information move them to tears? It makes me wonder if the abuse has more of an effect than they are acknowledging.

I don't think its fair to compare someone accusing your family of sexual abuse to someone saying you wore acid wash jeans as a teenager.  I have seen people on this board (PTV- not this thread) accuse Josh as digitally penetrating his sisters even though there has been no report of that happening.  If someone accused my brother of that and said I was the victim, I would feel victimized by that statement even though it didn't happen.  (See not victim of my brother, yes victim of the person spreading lies.)  In my opinion its not fair so say well since your brother did something a little wrong, if I blow it out of proportion and lie about it, then he's the one that victimized you not me, no matter what you think.

*I when I say "a little wrong" I'm not say that I think over the clothes touching is a little wrong.  I say that because the Duggars seem to make that assertion.  And as the ones touched I think the girls get to decide how wrong it was in their mind/world, but only for themselves not anyone else.

Perhaps what they are saying is I didn't feel victimized by what Josh did 12 years ago but I do feel victimized by the leaking of these reports now.

So yes they can feel like they were not a victim them but are a victim now.  2 different pieces of cake.  You can eat one and keep one.

Thanks for posting. You are right that the abuse and the publication are two different incidents. To me, it seems that the latter depends not the former, though.

I am having a hard time understanding why they feel victims. I'm not saying they shouldn't feel victimized. I keep thinking of what JB and M said about the abuse having no effect on the girls. If it was not a big deal, what was traumatic about the publication? Maybe they are worried about their reputation? Or maybe the abuse affected these poor girls more than anyone realized and the publication is stirring up their old feelings of vulnerability. I just don't think I have enough information to wrap my head around it. I guess I need to wait for the interview. Poor girls.

I don't think its fair to compare someone accusing your family of sexual abuse to someone saying you wore acid wash jeans as a teenager.  I have seen people on this board (PTV- not this thread) accuse Josh as digitally penetrating his sisters even though there has been no report of that happening.  If someone accused my brother of that and said I was the victim, I would feel victimized by that statement even though it didn't happen.  (See not victim of my brother, yes victim of the person spreading lies.)  In my opinion its not fair so say well since your brother did something a little wrong, if I blow it out of proportion and lie about it, then he's the one that victimized you not me, no matter what you think.

*I when I say "a little wrong" I'm not say that I think over the clothes touching is a little wrong.  I say that because the Duggars seem to make that assertion.  And as the ones touched I think the girls get to decide how wrong it was in their mind/world, but only for themselves not anyone else.

You are right that it is wrong to compare wearing jeans with child abuse. I didn't mean to sound that like that. I apologize to everyone for sounding insensitive.

• Love 3

What strikes me is that virtually everything the Duggars do is echoed closely by the structure and practices of my own insane family -- except that in my family no religious reasons were advanced to justify what was done. It was all just the personal demands of a malevolent lunatic. So in my opinion, this extremist offshoot of a church is actually a fraternal club in which sick control freaks gather so that they can use their numbers and a made-up theology as added cudgels to enhance their personal power.

Sort of the way the Divine Right of Kings gave monarchs a pass to just be assholes.

I hope someone remembers to hide the Kool-Aid

• Love 3

Thanks for posting. You are right that the abuse and the publication are two different incidents. To me, it seems that the latter depends not the former, though.

I am having a hard time understanding why they feel victims. I'm not saying they shouldn't feel victimized. I keep thinking of what JB and M said about the abuse having no effect on the girls. If it was not a big deal, what was traumatic about the publication? Maybe they are worried about their reputation? Or maybe the abuse affected these poor girls more than anyone realized and the publication is stirring up their old feelings of vulnerability. I just don't think I have enough information to wrap my head around it. I guess I need to wait for the interview. Poor girls.

You are right that it is wrong to compare wearing jeans with child abuse. I didn't mean to sound that like that. I apologize to everyone for sounding insensitive.

This is a hard topic to wrap your head around.  I hope I don't come across as too much of a Duggar defender.  I don't want to be seen that way.  But I can relate to what I've observed about Jessa.  She seems the type to have moved on & not want to go back to it.  But she also seems to recognize that this scandal is going to destroy her lifestyle and she's not going down without a fight.  I find that empowering and courageous.  (YMMV)

• Love 6
(edited)

This is a hard topic to wrap your head around. I hope I don't come across as too much of a Duggar defender. I don't want to be seen that way. But I can relate to what I've observed about Jessa. She seems the type to have moved on & not want to go back to it. But she also seems to recognize that this scandal is going to destroy her lifestyle and she's not going down without a fight. I find that empowering and courageous. (YMMV)

I totally agree with you. I think everyone wants what is best for the girls and the other children. I would like to think that I would be strong like Jessa if faced with her situation. I would probably just cry and hide. It makes me admire her even more.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 1

I think that some of the children- in particular Jana, John David and even JoyAnna would not mind at all if the show was cancelled.  Particularly the older two just seem to be over it.  

Jessa and Jill want their spin off- plain and simple.

• Love 6
(edited)

By the same token, they were adults signing up -- quite consciously -- to pursue their "mission" of becoming a visible ideal of morality, faith and godly family life for the nation. So logic (if they had any) would tell them that this would necessarily entail a heck of a lot of public visibility.

And take it a step further (or a step back).  If it is true as people allege that there was pretty prominent speculation about Josh in the local community dating from that time, it doesn’t matter how naive they are about television – they were putting on this front knowing that the people beside them at the traffic light, or in the checkout line at the grocery store would see the hypocrisy.  =

Um it's too late to put the cat back in the bag!!!

The Genie is out of the bottle.

The horse is out of the barn, and the toothpaste is out of the tube!

Also, I'm one of those non-tears people when I am deeply sad or depressed. I didn't actually cry tears when my mother died though we were very close.

But when you weren’t crying, were you wiping away the tears you weren’t crying?  She was wiping like crazy, even though there was nothing there.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 5

Given that one part of the report said it involved a five year old girl, who was the daughter of Michelle and James Duggar, no, the report was not redacted enough.

• Love 4

But she also seems to recognize that this scandal is going to destroy her lifestyle and she's not going down without a fight.  I find that empowering and courageous.  (YMMV)

I agree.  You can be a victim, but not live like a victim.   I see a big difference.  Putting something behind you and moving forward does not necessarily mean you've buried your head in the sand, or haven't "dealt" with it.  

Jessa seems to have dealt with it and it ceases to be a big deal to her.  Jill, I don't get that sense from.  Just my view from the cheap seats.  .  

• Love 4

Bean421 my therapist calls it inappropriate laughter. I've told people stories that would curl your hair laughing about them the whole time. Then of course realized that NO ONE finds what I'm saying funny because it's so horrible. It's just how some of us deal. It's so true that nothing any of the victims say, especially in front of a camera, is anything to judge them by.

• Love 5

OK, but here's the thing. If we're going to allow Jessa the respect of accepting that she really believes what she's saying, she's said kind of a lot in the past about shaming sinners and evildoers. Hell, her FIL jumped in to tell us that the only reason everyone isn't molesting children is that they fear the consequences. 

So while I can appreciate that the need for her to make bank is all the more urgent because there's a real question if her little family is capable of self-support, their own standards call for Josh to be denounced loudly to all comers. So what exactly is she planning to go on TV to model? You too can have an upper middle class lifestyle without gainful employment if you protect the guy who's molesting you, and he gets a used car lot? What does that teach all those predators out there about consequences?

• Love 13
(edited)

If there is a God, he's in some thoroughly awful place. Perhaps getting some counseling by cleaning septic tanks without gloves

Mushroom farm in the foreclosure's basement.

He must be really nervous to be forced to live so close to his family. He'll probably flip that house, he needs all the cash he can make. If the girls really forgive him, then why isn't he in the same frame as Jill and Jessa? Big 3-way side hug, no acrimony, right?

The floor plan for the house, in the article linked above, isn't quite accurate.

Thanks for the correction, I never followed the TTH layout that much. I think it's still obvious that JB&M concentrated on all the wrong things to prevent more incidents.

Edited by JoanArc

You can be a victim, but not live like a victim.

I know you mean the very best by this, but it's hard to read in that somehow we get to decide who are worthy victims. 

• Love 2

On Jessa being empowered by being more stoic....

I said something similar in the Jessa thread, but I can't get behind this thought process 100% just because of the way that her parents have dealt with all of this. I could see this being a reaction she had to them trying to brush everything under the rug. And I don't really know that this is fair to Jill either, just because it makes her look like she is weak because she still (seemingly, another part of this is that we only have a VERY short clip to judge either of them on) has negative feelings about it.

Teaching predators consequences is the job of law enforcement and society, the victims are just that, victims. Our society is set up to blame victims for sexual assault, their religion is just an extreme example of what most people believe. Boys will be boys, well she was dressed wrong, she shouldn't have been walking at night etc...

Victim blaming these girls regardless of their current self preservation tactics seems cruel.

• Love 7

I just saw a brief interview with Kelly about the interview that will take place tonight and a couple of other topics.  

She mentioned that she asked the Duggars if they told TLC about the incidents when the began filming with them.  The Duggars responded that they are not at liberty to say at this moment.  

She goes on to stress that a juvenile court judge said it was illegal and that he ranks higher than the city attorney.    But, what she did not mention was that Josh never went to court on this.  She was really on the Duggar side in my opinion.  

• Love 3

You can be a victim, but not live like a victim.

I know you mean the very best by this, but it's hard to read in that somehow we get to decide who are worthy victims.

I believe the snipped that was quoted was in response to Jessa saying she's a victim of the release of documents and media attention and that she's moved on. She's a victim, but not living as a victim. It was how I understood it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Teaching predators consequences is the job of law enforcement and society, the victims are just that, victims. Our society is set up to blame victims for sexual assault, their religion is just an extreme example of what most people believe. Boys will be boys, well she was dressed wrong, she shouldn't have been walking at night etc...

Victim blaming these girls regardless of their current self preservation tactics seems cruel.

Absolutely. I'm just having trouble making the leap between their managing their lives as they see fit and their having a right to a television show. I can understand why they want one. I'm just put off a bit that the idea is being floated that as the victims they're entitled to one.

I believe the snipped that was quoted was in response to Jessa saying she's a victim of the release of documents and media attention and that she's moved on. She's a victim, but not living as a victim. It was how I understood it.

And I understand that it was meant as a compliment. But it does suggest that victims who don't handle it the way she does are in some way choosing to be victims.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

On Jessa being empowered by being more stoic....

I said something similar in the Jessa thread, but I can't get behind this thought process 100% just because of the way that her parents have dealt with all of this. I could see this being a reaction she had to them trying to brush everything under the rug. And I don't really know that this is fair to Jill either, just because it makes her look like she is weak because she still (seemingly, another part of this is that we only have a VERY short clip to judge either of them on) has negative feelings about it.

I don't think it makes Jill look weak. She just processes differently than Jessa.  It's empowering not to let others dictate how you feel or what you say.  Whether those others are your parents or the community or the random strangers on the internet.  We are all products of how we are raised.  It seems to me the fact that Jessa & Jill seem to react differently in the snippet- proves that even being raised by the same parents in basically the same environment- they still have different personalities so I will continue to attribute what they say to them personally unless someday they come out and say "My parents made me say all that but how I really feel is...."

• Love 6