Type keyword(s) to search

Between - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That is such an appropriate topic title! After the first episode, I got on IMDB to check the birthdays of a bunch of the actors in this show. Curiously, the majority of those I checked didn't list their birthdate in their bio...!!!???

I could tell the actors were old in some cases, but that didn't bother me. There are many reason why it's easier to find quality actors of a certain age. What did bother was the actual direction and acting. I just thought this show could have been done much better than it was. Well, so far. I've only seen the two episodes. I'll probably finish it because i'm easy to please truthfully.

Hmm. I had this on my watch list, then you mostly talked me out of it, and then you said it's only six episodes and now I'm back in. I have no idea what to think now. Guess I'll know more once I've seen the pilot.

Jesse Carere plays Adam, the computer genius? I'M IN!

If he can work wonders with the crap dialogue that the "Finding Carter" writers give him, he should be able to handle this thing.

" For one thing, there's something deeply unsettling about the idea of an entire town of children having to mourn all of the adults they've ever known."

Two classic Star Trek episodes used that theme.

(edited)

Wow. So I just caught the third episode last night and then watched the first two. This show is...kinda bad. I don't really like the premise, the writing is pretty bad and I'm bored with, or hate, more than half the characters. Wiley annoys me the most and I actually used to be a fan of Jennette McCurdy. Most of the characters are just really bad. I like some of the actors, but then there are others who I don't think are good. And of course, there's this nonsensical 'sister got murdered to start a war' storyline which is just, I don't know, stupid I guess. And I just can't help but wonder if this show will get a second season and if so, why? I kind of want almost all of them to drop dead.

I do like that there are so many siblings on the show. It's kind of rare to have siblings on shows in main/recurring roles. And I like the character of Adam, though his voice annoys me. I like Gord a lot and his little sister's cute. I think I could like Chuck, because they are attempting to give him layers (and I like Justin Kelly a lot). Pretty Eyes has no story whatsoever besides the fact that he's a murderer, but 'with a heart' or whatever, since he didn't kill prison guard. And I am neutral on Chuck's other sister Amanda (though why in the world is she lying about who set fire to the grocery store??). But that's it. I don't like anyone else. Oh, there's that teacher girl that's ok too. 

But for some reason, I want to finish watching the season because, well, it's halfway done anyway and I want to find out what the issue is with people over 21 (NOT over 22 because that means they'd be 23 and older! Come on Canada/Netflix, get your English language right!) dropping dead. 

Edited by Lady Calypso

First off, did the casting director just go to the Degrassi set and recruit? I see at least three former cast members of that show (Chuck, Stacey and Tracey) and there's probably more.

For a show that has such a high body count, there sure is a lot of cast bloat. It's taken me three episodes to finally get a handle on who's who. Soooooo many people.

And memo to actor who plays Adam. ENUNCIATE. Thank you.

And memo to actor who plays Adam. ENUNCIATE. Thank you.

Is that the nerdy guy in the hat? I have to put subtitles on because I cannot tell one damn word he is saying. Did he skip actor school the day they went over elocution?

Yep, it's not a good show. Shame that all the adults died because I think all the decent actors went with them. The show has the same problem as Lost (IMO) because none of the characters are either relatable or likeable (I gave up on Lost halfway through the second episode) except that Lost at least was written well.

The text messaging on the screen looks lame although that might be a generational issue. Oh and I laughed like a drain at the topic title because I had the exact same thought. Farmer dude and jail guard chick are the two most obvious examples.

I just powered through the first 3 episodes, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. I agree with the recap about how ridiculous Adam is with carrying the main plot. "I was deep in the government computers" was my favorite line. Someone's got to unravel the mystery, I guess. I'm not feeling him and Wiley. I think he has more chemistry with the teacher.

I'm surprised by how much I like Chuck. I figured he was going to be the pretty-boy-rich-asshole, but he's shown a lot of maturity, and I find his reluctance as a leader to be really interesting. I also really like Gorde and his moral struggle (although quit leaving your little sister alone on a farm! There could be tigers loose!) and I like whatever he has with Melissa (I have the wikipedia page open, which is the only way I'm getting these names right.) In fact, I really like that Melissa isn't the sanctimonious preacher's daughter, although why is she seemingly the only person in town looking after the kids?

I'm on the fence about Ronnie and his impending redemption arc, but I can say that I find his brother to be pretty boring. The show's social media page was trying to start a TeamChuck vs TeamPat war, so I'm guessing he'll have more importance later... Samantha Munro as a lying back stabber looks like it may be fun!

What I don't quite understand is what's going on with the power. Do they have electricity or not? Because in the first episode they were using the internet, but by the third episode it looked like all the lights were out. And they can't get calls through, but texting works? 

• Love 1
Do they have electricity or not? Because in the first episode they were using the internet, but by the third episode it looked like all the lights were out. And they can't get calls through, but texting works?

The electricity went out in episode 3, right as a confrontation between various actors I can't be bothered to sort out started. I'm not sure whether texting actually still works (but i think later someone also said the cell tower was out of commission) or whether it's just that you can still check a phone for texts that have been sent/received, at least until the battery wears down. That still left me wondering, why didn't the girl whose texts everybody was checking up on just delete her texts linking her to the guy she wasn't going to provide an alibi for, but instead accuse of assaulting her?  She had plenty of time to realize she needed to cover her tracks.

I just came here to rant about how much I hate the Wiley character. Isn't she sorta the lead? Shouldn't she be at least a tiny bit likeable? I also came here to ask why so many of the actors are clearly older than 22 but the forum title covered that. But seriously? Gord? That guy looks about 40.

My mind went to a very bad place when mumble guy threw Wiley's bag into the mine field and she freaked out. "Oh no, I'll bet the baby is in there," I said. Only money.

I want season 2, if there is a season 2, to revolve around Gord's badass little lion hunting sister. I promise to learn her name.

• Love 2
I want season 2, if there is a season 2, to revolve around Gord's badass little lion hunting sister. I promise to learn her name.

I can tell you that it's Francis AKA Franny. I only remember this because my bird's name is Franny. And it was a tiger. Though I do have a question on why they have a TIGER on their property. I know there was that opening of the kid opening the cage to, I guess some zoo? And the tiger escaped? Or something? I was just very confused. 

If we could have a show with just Franny and Gord, and MAYBE Chuck, then I'd be satisfied. Those three are the only ones that I actually like in any capacity. 

• Love 1

I can tell you that it's Francis AKA Franny. I only remember this because my bird's name is Franny. And it was a tiger. Though I do have a question on why they have a TIGER on their property. I know there was that opening of the kid opening the cage to, I guess some zoo? And the tiger escaped? Or something? I was just very confused. 

If we could have a show with just Franny and Gord, and MAYBE Chuck, then I'd be satisfied. Those three are the only ones that I actually like in any capacity. 

The little kid put food into the tiger's cage, but the tiger kept his backed turn. Child; who clearly didn't know any better and was likely 6 years old or so, opened the animals door to get it's attention. When they actually showed the Between opening, his shoe was there covered in blood...ie; tiger ate kid. 

I finally remembered there was an episode 3 today and just...I know there are only 3 more episodes, and I'm not even sure I'll remember to watch them. 

First; Wiley is completely unlikable. She's clearly supposed to be the rebel without a cause, but they involved a baby so the fact that all the adults are dead and she's abandoned her baby is bleh to me. 

Adam's character could be amazing, but he's being written horribly.

The situation with the kids is ridiculous; like do you not have anymore of the 18-21 year old crowd who could tend to them? 

The minefield...really? That was a bit much. 

This whole show is just...it just is... The kids are reeking havoc while some of them should be crying and emotional over the loss of their parents, they keep killing off children with no real reason or point, the whole Chuck v. Ronnie thing is just boring, and they have way too much of a story to solve in just 3 more episodes. There should have at least been an episode or two where we were able to meet the adults before they started dying off, now it's like Hunger Games with less of a point. 

I wanted to like this show, I really did...but I just can't. If I remember to watch it, I will to finish it, but I probably won't remember it unless Netflix reminds me. 

Of all the shows to go week to week uploads, this was the worst picked one ever!

• Love 2

Those cages looked weak enough that I'd bet that as soon as the other cats get hungry enough, they're busting out and heading off to cause mayhem. It probably only worked as long as it did because they were kept fed and happy. 

They can't seem to decide how big the town is. It's small enough to easily enclose with fencing in a day, but it is large enough to have an exotic animal zoo? Everyone knows the little girl Sarah by sight, but whoever took Wiley to the dump pile didn't think to alert her sister or friends that she was dead? There are a decent number of older teens around, but none of them are related to all of the little kids running around wild? (because then even the thickest teen would have thought about their cousins, realized they were now orphans, and needed checked on?) I think that's the biggest plot inconsistency I have trouble with.

It's interesting enough to binge watch, but I wonder if Netflix is shooting itself in the foot releasing this one weekly. I don't know that it's quite strong enough to hold people to come back regularly for it. 

• Love 5

This show is so bad. Everybody's parents just died and no one seems affected at all. The main characters are the most unlikeable people ever, especially the pregnant girl (who gave birth in one episode and in the next episode she looked like she was never pregnant at all). The nerd is such a bad actor he makes me cringe ("The grocery store is on fire" - no shit, Sherlock). On top of that I can't stand 30+ years old actors playing teenagers.

• Love 4

This show is so bad. Everybody's parents just died and no one seems affected at all. The main characters are the most unlikeable people ever, especially the pregnant girl (who gave birth in one episode and in the next episode she looked like she was never pregnant at all). The nerd is such a bad actor he makes me cringe ("The grocery store is on fire" - no shit, Sherlock). On top of that I can't stand 30+ years old actors playing teenagers.

Exactly! The only one who has been shown to be sad about the deaths (to an extent) is Chuck. CHUCK, of all people. Well, then again he just had three family members die on him within two episodes, and THEN his last remaining family member was threatened to be killed. Everyone else is so nonchalant about it. 

Actually, now thinking about Chuck's situation, no wonder he's carrying around a gun and threatening to shoot people to keep them in line. That actually makes more sense now! Ok, now a whole lot of sense but in this show, it does make sense! 

Why aren't those close to turning 22 more nervous? I'd be checking birthdates and seeing who was closest to cut off age and keeping an eye on them.

I binged the three episodes last night. Not horrible entertaining enough for summer.

• Love 1

I just caught the first episode, not good enough to binge watch.  Is this show like Under the Dome? I don't actively hate anyone yet but I've only seen the first ep. I don't understand when everyone around you is dying why you think if I'm next let me go joy riding in a pick up truck.  And how old is that prison guard, she looks older than 22, but so did the two remaining prisoners.  How does a show like this expect to make it past two or three episodes?

Just saw the last episode. I officially hate everyone except for the little tiger hunter and her brother. Everyone else has acted stupidly and/or selfishly.

I can't stand these people. I quit.

• Love 1
(edited)

It really is a ridiculous show, yet I'm still hanging on because I keep telling myself 'it's only a six episode season'. 

Yeah, everyone sucks but Gord, Franny and I still like Chuck, even though he's also being stupid.

I sincerely hope the season ends with the government deciding to wipe out Pretty Lake with a bomb but Gord, Chuck and Franny get away with all the really little kids. 

Edited by Lady Calypso

Is that the nerdy guy in the hat? I have to put subtitles on because I cannot tell one damn word he is saying. Did he skip actor school the day they went over elocution?

Yep, it's not a good show. Shame that all the adults died because I think all the decent actors went with them. The show has the same problem as Lost (IMO) because none of the characters are either relatable or likeable (I gave up on Lost halfway through the second episode) except that Lost at least was written well.

The text messaging on the screen looks lame although that might be a generational issue. Oh and I laughed like a drain at the topic title because I had the exact same thought. Farmer dude and jail guard chick are the two most obvious examples.

Wow, I know it's your IMO but that was so not the problem with Lost. I mean, I never really had a problem but they put character over everything else on the show and it showed. But, I say this as someone who has seen the whole series.

These band of characters compared to the layered and well acted characters of Lost just does not compute for me. I don't know what makes most of these people tick and trying to figure out the actual plot is the main driving point for me.With Lost, it was almost equal but the characters kept me coming back more than anything.

This show isn't that good but it's an okay time waster.

I think Gord is pretty idiotic too.  "I don't care that there's a murderer around.  We should be focusing on the living".  Ummm, if there's a murderer around, you're not going to be living for much longer, dumbass!

Just finished episode 4. I think it's actually getting better. The show has some definite pacing issues which I think is affecting a lot of the acting. But Wylie I think is fine acting wise. In fact her affected teen thing is totally realistic to me. She feels indifferent to much of the world. That's depression to a T. Anyhow, i'm enjoying it well enough. But it's not great television.

I decided to watch episode 4 because I was bored and I thought to myself "these characters can't possibly get more unlikable, can they?" Well, apparently they sure can! At this point I only like Franny, the tiger hunter, and for some strange reason Chuck. I don't know why I like Chuck, but I do. Oh, and the impossibly cute little girl whose brother got run over a few episodes back.

But really I keep watching for riveting dialog like this line from the mumble mouth nerdy guy, dramatically uttered after the power came back on. "The power's back on," he said. Then the teacher died and I was relieved and happy for her because I didn't quite officially hate her yet and now she doesn't have to be on this terrible show anymore.

• Love 3

So Wylie (whose eyelashes are very distracting) takes her baby with just a carrier, no diaper bag that I saw.  She's not nursing the baby, so what is he eating? Where are his diapers. And she decides to spend what would have been her first real day with him....without him. Going hunting.  These characters are just bizarre. 

Can someone explain to me why any guy think it would be smart to rape a girl like 4 days post birth? I've had 2 kids...the blood coming out of the dead is no where near as scary as an after-birth. This show is beyond ridiculous...

• Love 4

Ok, it's official: Chuck is the best character, and the most believable, on this stupid show. I feel bad for the kid. Now everyone he cares about is dead! He literally lost three of the closest people in his life in this past episode! And he's doing what he can, admitting he can't be a leader and owning up to his mistakes. Man, I am surprised he hasn't had a meltdown yet. But seriously, why does this show hate Chuck so much? Why couldn't Ronnie bite it? Justin Kelly is killing it with what he's being given....especially since the show is killing everything in his character's life. So, can I expect his new romantic interest to get killed because she gets caught in the crosshairs? I wouldn't be surprised.

Wow, so the kid who plays Ronnie can act. Ok, cool. Not many people on this show can act well, though I guess they aren't given good material to begin with. 

As for everyone else...oh look, Adam's dad makes an appearance, and Adam almost gets shot by psycho prison cop (and on this show, I was fully prepared for Adam to die). Wiley's still insufferable and she's not a good mom at all. I really don't buy her caring for her kid at all. And a bunch of other characters have subplots that I don't care about, including Amish girl and her husband. 

Also, this must be the biggest town I've ever seen because it has a mini waterfall, a small plane and an Amish community, on top of the random zoo and a prison. What's next? An amusement park? An ocean?

• Love 4
(edited)

The summer has the ability to make me watch all manner of foolishness. I think this show is dumber than Under the Dome.  Which I will be watching when it returns and complaining about how awful it is.

Gord is at least 35 years old. When they first showed him I thought I was seeing a dad and his daughter. Is Gord going to fall in love with every distraught girl he runs into?

I'm glad Wiley is keeping her spider eyelash game tight.  

I hate to be ugly but I am glad Amanda is dead. That kid was on my last nerve.  

Chuck is just a hateful jock stereotype.  I can't be bothered to remember anyone else.

Edited by Sparger Springs
  • Love 3

Wiley's still insufferable and she's not a good mom at all. I really don't buy her caring for her kid at all.

I buy it, because Wiley was previously checked out of the mom experience with giving the kid up for adoption or selling him or whatever that deal was that she got a wad of cash for (could've been hush money from the babydaddy's family -- who is it, by the way? I wish they'd tell us!). At any rate, Wiley wasn't expecting to keep the baby. But now she pretty much has to so I can see why it took awhile for her maternal instinct to kick in. But now that it has, it's kind of cute.

I'm glad Wiley is keeping her spider eyelash game tight.  

Forget Wiley's eyelashes, it's Adam's Sideshow Bob hair that pulls all the focus! My god, there are some scenes where it takes up the entire frame. I think it has its own gravitational pull.

• Love 6

Forget Wiley's eyelashes, it's Adam's Sideshow Bob hair that pulls all the focus! My god, there are some scenes where it takes up the entire frame. I think it has its own gravitational pull.

I think I asked my girlfriend if this guy was supposed to be an anime character.

So we're pretty much loving the show, in some ways it's hilarious but in other ways it's sorta compelling, like seeing Chuck's evolution throughout the series, or seeing how many damsels Gord can rescue and then play house with. Also, I never got the sense that Samantha (?) was Harrison's sister in the episode where both debuted, but I guess it makes sense why she knew he was diabetic. Felt bad for Amanda and Chuck this past episode, though we were joking a bit about the inevitable scene to come where he's looking at the set of playing cards screaming "IF ONLY I HAD PLAYED CRAZY 8S!"

I think I asked my girlfriend if this guy was supposed to be an anime character.

That would be an improvement, seeing as how ANY sort of animation from Adam would be a welcome change. His flat, emotionless line delivery drives me crazy.

• Love 1

I thought Adam was just being emo or ironic with his flat delivery, but now I see that's just the actor.  I too am glad Amanda is gone, she was annoying. There's only one more episode left, right?  Don't think I can take more than that.  I pretty much just want confirmation on Wylie's baby daddy and that's it.

I thought Adam was just being emo or ironic with his flat delivery, but now I see that's just the actor. I too am glad Amanda is gone, she was annoying. There's only one more episode left, right? Don't think I can take more than that. I pretty much just want confirmation on Wylie's baby daddy and that's it.

Gf and I think

A) it's Adam's dad's child (lol)

B) it's gonna have some sort of link to the sickness, like either it's causing it or is the cure.

With the huge amount of money I expect it to be someone rich, so Chuck would be the logical choice. My second choice was Chuck's father. Of course it could be Adam's dad. He's not as rich as Chuck's family, but he is a doctor so should probably be able to scrape together that much money if he really had to.

My second choice was Chuck's father.

Oooooooh, it hadn't occurred to me that the baby daddy might be a deceased adult. How scandalous, the preacher's daughter hooking up with a man way too old for her? Watch that not be it, though, which is the problem with this show: it's potentially more interesting than it actually is.

• Love 2

TIL that the best time to make a romantic move is right after someone tells you about his dad's suicide and how he didn't even say goodbye... I'm also wondering if it's even possible to grow a beard as majestic as the mennonite guy's when he's suppose to be no older than 21.

• Love 1