Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I don't know about you guys but I think we need a separate true crime category encompassing ALL TC shows..  With Dateline, 48hrs, Snapped, Crime Watch daily and the various ID shows I'm constantly missing out on discussions.  What do you guys think? and how do we go about it?

• Love 1

Most are already discussed here, except Dateline, 48, and 20/20.  I don't know how to go about their files, but you can post here.
Look and see what all we've talk about, and welcome.
One of our things, is that the shows all duplicate the crimes they cover, and it's hard to remember which version of the FBI agent's son, the murdering twins, or the Canadian colonel, you just watched.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

One Tough Cookie, here are links to a few of our gems--titles for new ID shows.
Don't know if the ones in the ID network made it, but I think the TWoP ones did.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/2691-general-true-crime-shows/?do=findComment&comment=287088

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/2691-general-true-crime-shows/?do=findComment&comment=76338

Ooh, thanks for the memories, auntjess!  I thought I'd lost that list when my last laptop died (well, it was actually murdered by my cat, but we won't speak of such things!).

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I know there are others, but these give the idea.
I miss suz at large.  Don't remember what happened to her.

I wonder if she asked to have her account deleted? I can't even find her using the  search by member method for the whole board.

• Love 3
On 5/22/2017 at 6:40 AM, auntjess said:

I know there are others, but these give the idea.
I miss suz at large.  Don't remember what happened to her.

We should start a thread for the PT posters we love who "disappeared" suddenly. Like LabLover or maybe it was LabLovr (snarky witty and sweet!)Anyway, glad I found this thread

• Love 4
(edited)

Was I the only one who didn't realize that A&E has resurrected Cold Case Files?

I mentioned it just before it premiered in February (page 49). 

I agree it doesn't have the same feel.  But the biggest letdown was that I knew all the cases except the first one.  Haven't watched this Thursday's episode yet.

Edited by Josette
added quote
  • Love 2

I recorded several Cold Cases yesterday, but haven't watched any yet.
I saw that show--might have been Motive for Murder--about the couple killed in their home in Opelika, Ala, then a man and his son shot in a nearby town.
With the couple, it's all "everybody loves them," "don' know why anyone would harm them."
People, if you get a reputation for keeping cash around the house, it doesn't matter if you're a saint.
And of course "we're a nice town,' "murder shouldn't happen in small towns like this."
I hate when small town people act so smug, and think only city people should have crime.
People commit crimes, so wherever you have people, you have a chance for crime.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Josette said:

I mentioned it just before it premiered in February (page 49). 

I agree it doesn't have the same feel.  But the biggest letdown was that I knew all the cases except the first one.  Haven't watched this Thursday's episode yet.

Damn. Totally missed your post both then and yesterday when I scrolled back looking for posts about it. Just me, then. 

• Love 2

The Cold Case I watched had Bill Kurtis.  A new date, but an old show.
In the case (don't know which show), where several young women disappeared from apartments in Lenexa, KS and vicinity, I was really surprised that when they caught the guy, they didn't do any deals to try and find the bodies.
He had worked at all of these apartment compexes, and had master keys.  Anyone with that access to keys, should have to have a clean record, which he didn't have.

• Love 1

It's the first time Bill Kurtis has.  Danny Glover narrated the other episodes, although the narration was scaled back from the original show.   I thought at first it was an old show, but it's dated 2017 and has the new captions.   Turns out that they ditched Danny Glover and brought back Bill Kurtis.

Bill Kurtis, longtime newsman and TV host, and the narrator and producer of the original Cold Case Files, returns to Cold Case Files on Thursday (May 25, 2017). When the series got a re-boot, producers realized he was such an integral part of the show’s DNA that they asked him to come back.

Cold Case Files Host Bill Kurtis on the Worst Case He Ever Saw

• Love 6

I watched fatal vows last night and of course it was a crime we have seen before but Eric's (can't think of his last name-the guy who killed his wife Peggy) mom is still as bat shit crazy and delusional as she ever was. Still insisting Peggy is alive and just faked her own death.

• Love 10

I think my all time favorite true crime story (it sounds disrespectful but I don't know how else to say it) is the one in Texas where the District Attorney is gunned down in front of the courthouse. Then, during that investigation the Sheriff? And his wife are ambushed and killed in their home. The murderer is a smug little POS who scurries around on a Segway. It's all over his theft of computers from his workplace as a magistrate. They get him. I always watch that when it comes on. I love it when they get him.

• Love 8

Stacy Castor  intrigues and repels.  Bad enough to kill two husbands but then try to blame your daughter AND THEN try to OD her calls for a special  place in hell to be reserved in her name.

I too am fascinated by the Russell Williams case.

I could die happy if I never hear the names Jodi Arias, Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson . And let poor Jon Benet rest in peace even tho I'm sure now that Burke was involved.  He's just too weird.

Is anyone watching Reasonable Doubt?  I like the premise of a cop and lawyer investigating cases looking for wrongful convictions, but I haven't been convinced that anyone of the cases they investigated were unjust.  It just finished its first season and I hope it gets picked up.

And Keith Morrison really needs to write a blog AND give us Pam Huppdates.

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Love 6

I was just watching a Nightmare Next Door, when Pasinetta Prince, a local actress in Omaha, was murdered.
Her live-in boyfriend was convicted, and they did find his DNA under her nails, BUT there was also unknown DNA there, and a watch that wasn't his, broken off by her body.

• Love 2

I watched Reasonable Doubt its first season. I caught the one last night, and it irritated the hell out of me. It's all "the truth is coming out" when they hear what they want to hear, and "I don't believe it, you didn't even try" when they don't. I am sorry, maybe one jury got it wrong. I will even give you two. But three juries who convicted were all wrong? That's 36 people listening to all the evidence, and all 36 voting guilty. 

• Love 8

Did anyone watch the special about the murder of Angie Judge on Monday night? I was horrified that Chris wasn't released once his DNA didn't match the DNA found at the crime scene. I think the police should be ashamed of forcing a confession out of him.

• Love 9

Just watched a Paua Zahn, about the Las Vegas woman who went into a spy shop, and her husband, who was waiting in the parking lot, says she never came out.
This was a WTF and whodunit, so I thought it was an especially good mystery.

• Love 3

I plan to watch Bill Cosby-American on I.D. tonight.  Comcast description:  "The rise of TV legend Bill Cosby, who played doting father ...on the series "The Cosby Show", and the allegations that precipitated his fall from grace."  Now this is a very sad story -- I really loved that show, and Bill Cosby.  What an effing shame.   I was heartbroken when the first allegations hit the news, but I figured they might be true.  Men and their dicks...so sad some can't be tamed.  After the show I'd love to hear what you guys & gals think.  

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

I plan to watch Bill Cosby-American on I.D. tonight.  Comcast description:  "The rise of TV legend Bill Cosby, who played doting father ...on the series "The Cosby Show", and the allegations that precipitated his fall from grace."  Now this is a very sad story -- I really loved that show, and Bill Cosby.  What an effing shame.   I was heartbroken when the first allegations hit the news, but I figured they might be true.  Men and their dicks...so sad some can't be tamed.  After the show I'd love to hear what you guys & gals think.  

I'm going to watch it also. Nothing else on tonight. He was such a funny comic. So sad to think that he was a rapist behind the scenes. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I'm going to watch it also. Nothing else on tonight. He was such a funny comic. So sad to think that he was a rapist behind the scenes. 

Thanks, QuinninND - my sentiments exactly. 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:13 AM, kathyk24 said:

Did anyone watch the special about the murder of Angie Judge on Monday night? I was horrified that Chris wasn't released once his DNA didn't match the DNA found at the crime scene. I think the police should be ashamed of forcing a confession out of him.

When you have the victim's mother begging for him to get out of prison because the DNA didn't match (and everyone knew that the only reason he was convicted was because of the confession - but no corroborating evidence!!), you know that the police should be ashamed!  I was disgusted watching that special.  I mean, they had that poor guy convinced he was in her apartment (although no finger prints or DNA) and held her down while another person raped and murdered her (again, no DNA, no bruises on Angie's arms) - HOLY SHIT!  And then seeing the police detective and DA in their smarmy interviews in 2012 was just gross.  They were wrong FFS and everyone knew it, but damn if they didn't buckle-in on their theories.

I have to give it to her mother - using Ancestry to upload the DNA evidence?  Dang.  But, they didn't find the match but someone in his family?  Double dang.

• Love 8

Caught my first episode of "The Real Story with Maria Elena Salinas" on the Pulse nightclub massacre.  Wow those victims' interviews were really powerful.  I also liked her questions to them: respectful but probing to get the full story.

19 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

After the show I'd love to hear what you guys & gals think.  

Watched this too (my God do I love my ID).  I forgot about the previous rape accusations and the daughter/extortion trial.  When you are a rich, popular celebrity that can pay for anyone to cover anything up, and who is a narcissist and sociopath, I guess it is easy to live a double life.  That's what I got from the special.  And the fact that I think Hugh Hefner is utterly disgusting - Quaaludes as "thigh openers"?  Now I'm disgusted that this enabler was ever given a reality show to make him seem normal.

• Love 9

I just watched Women Who Kill on A&E. While I have seen all the cases covered on various crime shows, I did find it held my attention. 

I didn't know Amber Hibberling committed suicide in jail last year. She pushed her husband out the window. Her mom irritated me a bit. I'm still undecided on how guilty she was. 

Celeste Beard is a despicable individual. I came away feeling very sad for Tracey. 

The Abraham lottery winner always makes me sad. I have no doubt DD Moore did it. 

Out of all the women covered, only one freely admitted their guilt. Ana Trujillo (stiletto killer) maintains it was self defense. I still don't believe her. 

• Love 5

I also watched"woman who kill". The most upsetting thing to me was that Tracy Tarelton (sp) has breast cancer and that bitch Celeste Beard said it was karma with that smug look on her face. I was surprised the woman who pushed her husband out the window committed suicide. I would love to hear the details.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Court said:

I didn't know Amber Hibberling committed suicide in jail last year. She pushed her husband out the window.

I have a problem thinking she deliberatly set out to murder her husband by pushing him out the window. (And building codes should have mandated stronger windows in high-rise buildings.)
I can see them having a fight, and she shoves him and he falls against the window, and it breaks and he can't save himself, but I'd think that would have been manslaughter, with a much lighter sentence than 25 years.
I was sad to see that she killed herself.
Yes, Celeste Beard is a bitch.  I haven't finished the lottery winner.
I'd like to know more about Ana Trujillo, and what she was like as a Coca Cola executive, and how badly the marriage ended to send her this far. 

• Love 5

I'm moving over here from the ID Investigation Discovery Channel.  Not quite sure where to post about shows on that network, but, a are True Crime.

Have you seen the show called Fear Thy Neighbor?  It features different true stories of neighbor feuds gone wrong and something terrible happens.  The actual survivors tell most of the story, with some actors re-enacting the events.  

I've notice that in many of the stories, it's the neighbors who instigated and aggravated the matter are the ones who survived.  We don't get to hear from those who are dead or in prison for murder.  But, even hearing the self serving side of things, they seemed to have been responsible for aggravating the situation.  I have trouble trying to find sympathy for them.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you seen the show called Fear Thy Neighbor?

Yes!  The last one I saw was the one where the "instigator" and his ex-live in girlfriend were interviewed.  He shot his neighbor who was the self-styled neighborhood standards keeper.  I think he let his dogs poop on the neighbor's yard, had a sloppy backyard, etc.  I find FTN hard to watch for some reason....

Speaking of hard to watch, only in a different way, how do folks feel about Hear No Evil?  I tried it for the second time last night, and just couldn't deal with having to read the bottom of the screen (yes, I am being ridiculously picky).  Although, seriously heartbreaking story (I almost died with the "Mommy Boo-boo" quotes from the daughter after he shot the mother).

• Love 5
(edited)

Yes, I'm watching just about all the shows on that channel.  I know......it's odd.  lol  I did see the one last night about the mother being killed by husband. Very sad. I missed the first part of it though.  How did husband get possession of the house and custody of baby, with her having supervised visitation?  That's odd.  Normally, it has to be extreme proof of parent being a danger, for that to happen.   

I also watched the one about the serial killer who taunted the police.  He was called the Weepy Voiced Killer!  Very creepy.  He called 911 and begged them to stop him from killing women.  He was eventually caught, because he called 911 to help him after he was injured by a victim he had attacked!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How did husband get possession of the house and custody of baby, with her having supervised visitation?  That's odd.  Normally, it has to be extreme proof of parent being a danger, for that to happen.   

She had taken her daughter to California against the custody agreement. He really was a POS. And welcome to the "all things crime" forum!

• Love 4
On 6/6/2017 at 10:32 PM, Court said:

I just watched Women Who Kill on A&E. While I have seen all the cases covered on various crime shows, I did find it held my attention. 

I didn't know Amber Hibberling committed suicide in jail last year. She pushed her husband out the window. Her mom irritated me a bit. I'm still undecided on how guilty she was. 

Celeste Beard is a despicable individual. I came away feeling very sad for Tracey. 

The Abraham lottery winner always makes me sad. I have no doubt DD Moore did it. 

Out of all the women covered, only one freely admitted their guilt. Ana Trujillo (stiletto killer) maintains it was self defense. I still don't believe her. 

23 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I also watched"woman who kill". The most upsetting thing to me was that Tracy Tarelton (sp) has breast cancer and that bitch Celeste Beard said it was karma with that smug look on her face. I was surprised the woman who pushed her husband out the window committed suicide. I would love to hear the details.

Amber was a total bitch. Sorry, not sorry. He was leaving her, she was abusive. The window had been broken earlier, and was weak. She waited until he was in front of the window and tackled him. She made jokes to her fellow prisoners about throwing them out of the window. She got off on bail, diluted her urine time after time, and tested positive for drugs. She got her bail revoked because she would let her ankle bracelet battery die. 

The Hilderbergs (sp)  have never seen baby Levi. 

Oh and Amber went around on the internet harassing his family. Read the victim impact statements. 

• Love 4
On 10/6/2016 at 1:13 PM, Albino said:

Does anyone know if A Crime To Remember is returning to ID?  

This was probably my favorite ID show and kept my attention even when I knew whodunit from the start.  So well done, and each episode perfectly captured the look, tone and culture of the year it featured.   No OTT drama, violence or sex.

I checked online, as well as the dizzying ID website to no avail.  :(  

On 12/7/2016 at 10:17 PM, azshadowwalker said:

I really didn't like A Crime to Remember doing the Starkweather case at all. It didn't bring anything new to the case, and I, too, found the narrator annoying. Having watched essentially a marathon of the older episodes, I was already starting to get annoyed by the narration, but this one bothered me even more. The hokey accents and slow speech patterns they give everyone is starting to bug me. I started feeling that way with the Pied Piper episode, because I am from Tucson and no one here has ever spoken like that. This one was probably worse because I wasn't even hearing anything new. The Starkweather case doesn't offer anything new for a true crime show fan, so I focused on the bad narration. 

Hi fellow crime show peeps!  I just found this thread and read all 57 pages. 

For Crime To Remember--Yes, they pay great attention to detail. Last summer, they wanted to shoot a couple of the Starkweather scenes at my sister's house. She called me asking if it was a real show & my little true crime heart geeked out and said do it!  I went to the filming  and got to meet some producers, production team & cast. Everyone was super nice and answered all of my questions. The guy playing Charlie was so nice that it was disturbing to watch him in the actual show. Her house stood in for the wealthy couple's (and maid) that got killed. They paid great attention to detail--from removing the dining room table to bring in a period one and down to making sure they could see steam coming from the coffee & waffles Charlie ate.  

My fav shows are Dateline, 20/20, 48 hours, See No Evil and Hear No Evil. I do have series recording set for some things, but almost every day, I look at the guide for ID and decide if I want to tape any or not, depending on description.   

I don't like Kendra or Wolfe. Although I find Wolfe attractive, they both come off smug. I like the cop on Reasonable Doubt but the lawyer lady bugs.  I like the premise of Reasonable Doubt but no family is ever going to change their mind. Last night's show about the wife that poisoned her husband, it did seem like the friend was at least going to ask about the things they found out. 

• Love 8

I pretty much watch all of the shows that have been mentioned in the last 10 posts. I particularly like Reasonable Doubt. I just started watching that. Is it new?  You could tell the lady who was convicted of poisoning her husband was a real loser case.  I know it's good to have true blue friends, but, sooner or later, you have to face the facts.  It seems that with family members who commit murder, the adult children normally have trouble accepting it and they will defend the obviously guilty parent no matter how overwhelming the evidence.  I suppose it's a defense mechanism.

I did see this one episode recently, (I'm trying to recall the name of it) where the lady was convicted of 2 counts of murder, but, it was later discovered that the two things that were used were lies.  Both people admitted their testimony was not true.  Appeals with that information have not been successful.  So, even though it's now clear that this lady was convicted on false evidence, they will not give her a new trial. She has a life sentence.  I think it was in the state of Indiana.  She was a nice girl, who fell in love with a convicted felon, who she allowed to live with her, along with his two friends, who also didn't work.  She says her boyfriend shot and killed them when she was not there.  If she really didn't do it, I wonder how you live with yourself for the rest of your life, in a prison with no hope of ever being released or getting a new trial. I can't think about it too much.   I hope that some of these shows like Reasonable Doubt, will help locate any actually innocent people, who have been improperly convicted.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Hi fellow crime show peeps!  I just found this thread and read all 57 pages. 

Welcome!  My favorites are true whodunits, and I don't like ones that seem too gory.  Will watch anything about Russ Williams.

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Appeals with that information have not been successful.  So, even though it's now clear that this lady was convicted on false evidence, they will not give her a new trial. She has a life sentence.  I think it was in the state of Indiana.

Maybe she'll have another chance.  The Indiana man who was proved innocent, and freed, but was unable to get a job as a convicted felon, was finally pardoned when the new govenor took over.

• Love 2

I am really enjoying Reasonable Doubt, but the attorney Lewkowicz needs to let some of that botox wear off!  She is starting to resemble Shannon Tweed and her puppet-like face.  I truly think she would be stunning, if her face was allowed to move a little.

• Love 3

Anyone watch Sin City Justice?  I liked the "gotcha" moments when the brain trauma "expert" was shown scans of a brain with lesions, and then another brain.  Expert: "No, I see no lesions on this brain".  Prosecutor: "That's the defendant's brain".  Zing.  Then the defense tried to prove the victim was asking to be beaten & sexually assaulted and was not drug free because of her hospital tox screen.  Prosecutor said they forgot to check if she'd been given morphine in the ambulance (she had).  ZING!

• Love 8