Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, renatae said:

I think partially what happened, if I recall correctly, was that Casey was spatting with her parents and had been staying at her boyfriend's house. This was why they were not suspicious at first, because Casey was not around all that much, either. I think she'd decided she wanted to break loose from them and be "independent." Sure.

I just have never gotten over that Cindy lied on the stand and that no one contradicted all that crap about George molesting Casey, and the nonsense over she drowned accidentally and George covered it all up. Like the rest of you, I could not believe Cindy could go along with this and protect her brat of a murderess daughter. At least George has finally come out and said that he believes Casey did kill Caylee and he will never speak to her again. Small comfort.

I watched the entire trial on Court TV; didn't miss a minute.  It consumed me.  LOL.  I sat in horror as I watched the prosecution team do nothing as the lies about George rolled on.  No one said anything!  

The parents were on Dr Phil shortly after the trail ended. George said he thought her death was a chemical baby sitter gone wrong.   Cindy was furious and said,  "this is the first time I have heard those words come out of your mouth!"  I was shocked that they had not discussed that between them!  Everyone watching knew that Xanax killed her.  Zanny the nanny, oy.  Even Casey said so with that.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5

Did anyone watch the Joyce Mitchell movie last  night?  IT was called The Seduction of Joyce Mitchell and was, for me, compelling.  If  were Joyce, I''d probably want to hide in prison for the rest of my life after being the subject of this movie.  It did her no favors and, IMO should be played every time the bitch comes up for parole.

This is my conundrum: She was in the beginning part of the system, BUT she helped two killers escape.  So--do the inmates consider her a screw and give her bad treatment OR is she a hero for busting them out of prison?

Maybe I have too much free time....

Edited by Social Piranha
  • Love 3

I can't find any other place this might go. I don't currently have ID because I gave up satellite a couple of years ago, I tried Sling streaming and I think they had it, but at a higher level than I wanted to pay for. Thinking about trying the Playstation streaming, but haven't yet. So, I watch Escape. They run very, very old episodes of Forensic Files, American Greed, Unsolved Mysteries - all of those have their own threads, so I'll talk about them there. But I can't find anything on this horrid little show they have on Escape every evening, Murderous Affairs. My problem with the show is the script! And the narration! Horrible, horrible, horrible! Each episode covers two murders that involved an unfaithful partners that committed the murder, I have such a hard time hearing about the case because the script and delivery of the narrators are so, so bad. I'm a terrible writer, but I could come up with better scripts! It does make me appreciate Stacey Keach and Dennis Farina and Peter Thomas (I know, the latter two have passed on and they are missed). It almost makes me miss the woman with the flat affect that narrates Snapped, which apparently is off the schedule for a while.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Social Piranha said:

Did anyone watch the Joyce Mitchell movie last  night?  IT was called The Seduction of Joyce Mitchell and was, for me, compelling.  If  were Joyce, I''d probably want to hide in prison for the rest of my life after being the subject of this movie.  It did her no favors and, IMO should be played every time the bitch comes up for parole.

This is my conundrum: She was in the beginning part of the system, BUT she helped two killers escape.  So--do the inmates consider her a screw and give her bad treatment OR is she a hero for busting them out of prison?

I watched this and good question.  My guess is that she would seen in a more positive light than someone with a more grisly crime.  She helped bad guys.  That has got to hold some positive weight inside. 

Her husband is standing by her. 

Edited by wings707

auntjess, I really thought Forensic Files had it's on forum, I haven't looked. I think it has a big following, at least with people that like this sort of thing. I even watch it on Netflix, mostly because I want something on that I don't have to get emotionally involved with! lol

Brattinella, I'm in a major, small city in the NE part of the state! Escape is part of the Fox/METV group. I am looking forward to putting an antenna on the roof so I can get some additional channels like THIS, ION and both the ABC and the NBC affiliates without having to move the indoor antenna to a different side of the window! I want THIS because they show Cagney & Lacey on Sunday nights, I love my crime shows whether they be fiction or true.

• Love 3

Well, friendperidot, we are in a small town in the SW part.  We only have cableone, and an antenna wouldn't work here at all; 50 miles to the nearest big town.  I do love my crime shows, too!  I keep hoping the cable network will add some new channels.   I think some people here have a dish, but that never appealed to me, I still have to have local news and weather.

• Love 2

I had Directv for many years before digital was mandated, and as part of their package, they had local channels, at least the main channel for each of the network affiliates. I didn't know many of the other channels existed until I got tired of paying $100/month and let it go. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

auntjess, I really thought Forensic Files had it's on forum, I haven't looked. I think it has a big following, at least with people that like this sort of thing. I even watch it on Netflix, mostly because I want something on that I don't have to get emotionally involved with! lol

I think we've found that the same crimes are covered on several diffeent shows, and it's hard to keep track. 

• Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, ButterQueen said:

And the best gift was Keith Morrison.

He is always a gift.

Did anyone catch the Scott Powell episode last night?  I forgot how stomach-churning that whole situation was: from Susan's disappearance, to the father's obsession, his interview with Morrison, and then the ultimate tragedy of those boys' deaths.  Ugh.  But that 911 operator?  Geez, I realize he didn't put two-and-two together, but he tried to justify why he asked the social worker Scott's height, weight, and hair color!??!  FFS.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

He is always a gift.

Did anyone catch the Scott Powell episode last night?  I forgot how stomach-churning that whole situation was: from Susan's disappearance, to the father's obsession, his interview with Morrison, and then the ultimate tragedy of those boys' deaths.  Ugh.  But that 911 operator?  Geez, I realize he didn't put two-and-two together, but he tried to justify why he asked the social worker Scott's height, weight, and hair color!??!  FFS.

That case will never stop deeply disturbing me - I am sickened every time I think of it, so I try hard not to do so.

I'm watching 20/20 on ID Presents: Homicide about Jeff Cahill's brutal baseball bat attack on his wife, Jill and his subsequent murder of her 6 months later (while she was still in hospital recovering) by forcing cyanide down her throat.  The initial attack resulted in one of the bloodiest crime scenes they've shown on TV; he bashed her head in at least 8 times.  http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/jill_cahill_murder_case_syracuse_tv_special.html

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

That case will never stop deeply disturbing me - I am sickened every time I think of it, so I try hard not to do so.

I'm watching 20/20 on ID Presents: Homicide about Jeff Cahill's brutal baseball bat attack on his wife, Jill and his subsequent murder of her 6 months later (while she was still in hospital recovering) by forcing cyanide down her throat.  The initial attack resulted in one of the bloodiest crime scenes they've shown on TV; he bashed her head in at least 8 times.  http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/jill_cahill_murder_case_syracuse_tv_special.html

What a horrifying case James Cahill is!  I can't believe the laws in NY or the judge or how he only got 37 years?!  He is a monster who should NEVER be free again!

ETA: Scott Powell is another nasty monster who came back to finish what he started.  I try not to think of it too.  So bad. :((

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I had never heard that story -- which rarely happens. I felt so bad for her -- what a crazy sicko to go to so much trouble to "finish the job." Crazy. 

On another topic, has anyone else noticed that ID is repackaging series shows as "new" freestanding one-offs? For example, I just clicked on a show that I'd taped called "Radio Silence" because I thought it was new. Turns out it's the Disappeared episode from a couple of years ago about that park ranger who fell through the ice. In the past few days ago I've done the same thing with two other shows -- one that was originally a Perfect Murder episode and one that was originally an Evil Lives Here (I think). Do they think we don't notice? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

It's happening a lot, all over.  TLC slices & dices its 600 lb shows, and the DVR will grab them as new, so I always check.
A&E adds just a bit to an old First 48, and same thing.

Hm. Guess I haven't been watching that much. I've been traveling. And ID is really the only channel I watch, so my experience is limited. I'm going to start paying attention to the description. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, KellsBells said:

I'm going to start paying attention to the description. 

Except that isn't always a clue, because the same crimes get remade on different shows.
I think I saw a Forensic Files, and from the desription, sound like they also did the case of the backwards bathrobe.

• Love 4
On 4/24/2017 at 6:26 PM, auntjess said:

I still like Murder Chose Me, but do wish he'd cut back the flashbacks.

Don't you think the detective on Murder Chose Me was probably hated by co-workers? He definitely doesn't have a high opinion of most of them, and he isn't afraid of saying so publicly. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, azshadowwalker said:

Don't you think the detective on Murder Chose Me was probably hated by co-workers? He definitely doesn't have a high opinion of most of them, and he isn't afraid of saying so publicly. 

I don't know if the same people are there still, because he does seem to have burned some bridges on his early cases.
It would be interesting to know.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

It's possible his colleagues deserve it but the way he treats them bothers me.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

THIS.  He never misses an opportunity to throw shade on his fellow officers, while making himself out to be the most infallible and greatest detective ever.  He even said something like he's won convictions on every one of his murder cases, when we all know the prosecutors do that, albeit with his (and a lot of other people's) help.  Egoist extraordinaire.

• Love 9

I didn't realize I wrote a book until I went to hit post. So much to say when I'm so far behind in reading the posts. I came to comment on how much I appreciated the accused in Reasonable Doubt (episode Southern Justice) saying that he didn't believe the theories that he was originally arrested because he was African American or because he was a rapper, but thought that when the investigation didn't pan out like they expected, they then just doubled down on the person they had in custody. I was kind of rolling my eyes at those theories myself, not because I don't think they happen, but because the fact he was seen running in the club with a gun out was a pretty logical conclusion for the witnesses to make that he was the person who fired the gunshots, and that is why he was arrested. Complaints of racism in these situations tend to water down real racism issues, in my opinion, and I'm glad the show and the convicted didn't go that route, and actually dismissed them as the reason for the original arrest, even though at the prosecution and trial level the theory remained in play and was fleshed out and discussed more thoroughly.  The suspicions of racism playing a part in the conviction seems like a reasonable conclusion to me, and since it is being followed up on, I expect that more evidence for and/or against will be provided. 

Since I'm behind on my reading please forgive me now dredging up the evil thoughts about Casey Anthony again because I have to say this because it just astounds me:

I watched the entire trial and commented on a forum with a woman who had recently retired from being a family counselor and was relatively new to internet forums. We all welcomed her and for the most part, she is a welcome member, doesn't cause trouble, isn't rude or dismissive, doesn't troll, doesn't always have the same opinions as others, but usually lets differences of opinion just be differences of opinion except when it came to her conclusion in Casey Anthony's case, which was so unbelievable to us that someone actually searched her name (she signed on her with personal Facebook or Twitter account) and found that she had a Masters in Social Work, her license was still valid, and found where she had recently retired, which was a reputable mental health facility that not only took court ordered cases but also had a sliding fee scale for the community.

Throughout the trial she said that Casey acted like a young adult who had suffered physical and sexual abuse in her childhood. The rest of us, including an attorney who had worked criminal defense for many years and knew the family many years ago, back when they lived in Ohio, didn't see it. He was adamant that neither parent was abusive and that the mom, in particular, was way too lenient with the kids. As far as I know, no one ever checked his credentials, so he could have been lying about them, and he certainly wasn't saying anything that anyone who had followed the case couldn't have picked up on; I think that was most of our opinion about that family.

Something in Casey is broken. She is not what I would consider a fully functioning person, and is the textbook definition of a sociopath. She can't feel. The testing they gave her, however, did not rule in sociopathy, and by all accounts, that testing can't be faked. Some people have slipped through, and I think Casey Anthony and Aaron Hernandez are two of them, although he did have the brain damage from the PCP use and concussions, so maybe not him. In any event, when Baez said that she was sexually abused by George, she was all, "I told you all!" and we were all, "Bullchit!!!" in much less nicer terms. It is possible that abuse in her younger years, especially sexual, could cause the brain to not mature as it should, and result in her behavior, but I think the dad and her brother would have told all they knew on that matter, if it was true. Her brother's police interview where he told all he knew and the results of his investigation of her claims (spoiler alert: she was lying) was quite telling about their family. Cindy insisted that Casey keep the pregnancy secret, lying to the brother when he saw her obviously pregnant belly and telling him to mind his own business and that she wasn't pregnant. I hope he broke free from the family dysfunction.

When that lone juror gave the interview where she said that the Prosecution couldn't tell them how she was killed and therefore, they couldn't convict her of murder, she said that they didn't believe the claims against George, didn't believe the drowning theory and didn't believe he was the one who disposed (I feel sick just typing that word) of her body, but couldn't convict under the elements since they didn't know how she died. An actual cause of death is not element of the crime required under any of the statutes, and they did actually have a "Child Neglect or Abuse Resulting in Death" that should have worked if they had that big of a problem with the cause of death not being proven --to them, most of the rest of us seem to get it just fine. Except for the jury and the former family therapist who claimed from early on in the trial, and was steadfast in the face of opposition which was great, that Casey was the result of childhood abuse. 

I go back and forth on my feeling of Cindy. I sympathized with her statements that she thought Casey deserved prison but not the death penalty, and understood that her lies were based on that fact, but at the same time, she was one of the three people in the world that were there to support Caylee, and George and her son had to carry it by themselves. She has now deluded herself so that she can keep in contact with her daughter, when unfortunately, Casey is a lost cause. It's not nice to say that a person is beyond help, but I seriously don't think she has the ability to change. She is broken.

Also, it is rarely discussed that the "expert" on the computer searches was called back during the sentencing phase of her obstruction charge to admit that the testimony he gave was not correct, there were not as many searches as he testified to because there was an error in the software program. Cindy's lie about the search for chlorophyll was not necessarily a lie; she likely did that search, and Caylee likely died from a Xanax overdose. I kind of scoffed at a 100 searches for chloroform at the time of his testimony because you would never need that many, so when he admitted he was wrong, I remembered it.

I have many, many, many negative comments about Richard Glossip but haven't watched the two-part episode so I'll do that first. I did watch a documentary a long time ago, before the temporary delay by the Governor, and it was about his unlikely chances at overturning the death penalty, and why it was stacked against him. Primarily, several courts had heard his claims and they all upheld his conviction, because of his actions and behaviors surrounding the murder. His first attorney raised some appealable issues which got him a new trial, where he was again convicted. From memory, those issues surrounded evidence the original judge would not allow in, and that evidence painted the victim as a criminal himself, but didn't really help Glossip. If anything, the jurors in the second trial seemed to think that it made it more likely that Glossip wanted him killed, fearing his own death as opposed to an arrest for embezzlement, which I'm not sure I believe. If there was embezzlement, I don't think it was from motel funds, because I think the first defense attorney makes a compelling argument for the victim being involved in illegal activities, for which he has never been charged, but if I want to look at the fact in the most favorable light to Glossip, the victim is not an innocent, law-abiding man.

Glossip was given a plea bargain option of life with the possibility of parole, but didn't take it, hedging his bets on the jurors not believing the sole testimony of a mentally disabled man, but unfortunately for him, and in my opinion upon watching that show, fortunately for his victim and his family, the witness testimony of other employees of the motel, along with Glossip's statement to the police, was enough to convict. He went to a lot of trouble to help cover up the murder, which was ignored by Susan Sarandon and Nun Prejean who appeared on Dr. Phil several months later, and the reason I turned off that episode. The "evidence" that they were providing to support his innocence were things that had not been verified at that time, and I don't know if they got to something else later, since I turned it off, and that is why I will watch the show on Glossip before completely affirming or discounting his conviction, but based on the first show I saw, he is guilty of at least the cover up, which doesn't make sense to me if he didn't have a part in ordering the murder, and he admitted his part in the coverup and that he was planning to flee. The man who actually committed the murder, Sneed, was of a lower intelligence and it was determined by several doctors that he could not formulate the plans he disclosed to the police, which is what got him a plea deal of life because they were unlikely to get the death penalty with his mental capacity in question. It is also what got Glossip a plea deal, and what made him decline that deal. I think that only one doctor interviewed him for the police, and the others reviewed the info for the show, but don't remember for sure how many interviewed him for trial purposes.

I cannot and will not ignore the fact that the police lead Sneed with their questioning during their interrogation, a process which has been deemed valid and appropriate by the court systems. It has been determined that police can lead people with diminished mental capacity since they cannot understand the questions to answer them otherwise. I did not watch the full, uncut second interrogation of the murderer, where the questionable tactics were deployed, but remember from the show I did watch that part of it was that they knew he was beaten with the bat, and when they asked him about it, he thought they wanted to know about the victim punching him, and went on and on until the said, "Tell us about the bat!!!" and he did. There were questions like that about Glossip, too, where the police allegedly lead him, and I see no reason to doubt that since it doesn't make sense to me that they would do it about his actions but he understood about Glossip's. However, the show I watched discussed how the police could not have told him the Glossip answers because they didn't know them until he told them, and then Glossip confirmed them in his interviews. If that is true, Glossip remains guilty even though the cops berated the killer until he got to the point of the answer to the question they were asking.

This is very similar to my opinion on Making of a Murderer believing that Dassey should walk because of his treatment by the police and his attorney that make me believe the possibility that he had no idea what happened until the police told him what to say, and his attorney insisted he admit his guilt, but Avery remain locked up because the evidence against him was significant and completely diminished or ignored by the filmmakers, since it didn't fit the story they were trying to tell about the corrupt police department. I walked away with no doubt that the Manitowac Sheriff's Department needs a complete overhaul, but the information obtained outside of the show made the case against Avery pretty clear, and I think the show I watched made the case against Glossip's guilt pretty clear, too. Fortunately, I like these type of shows so adding the two hours of Glossip to my viewing schedule won't hurt me.

• Love 3

Well, heck! I live in the middle of nowhere where my antenna picks up nothing and have to pay for DirectTV which has decided that I can watch the show on television but not my computer because "It is not part of my package." I'll have to call in the morning and get it sorted out. I paid an extra five dollars for that option! I also have to pay extra for local channels because there is not one in my area, and as I've already bitched about, my antenna doesn't pick one up! Booo..Hiss...!!!

• Love 1

auntjess, those stupid over priced jeans don't bother me, if people are stupid enough to pay for that stupidity, that's on them. What bothers me is a recent report, CNN, I think, and when I wake up later, I'll see if I can find the links, but it's recently came out that a couple of decades of FBI forensic people testifying about hair DNA didn't know the butt from a hole in the ground. Thousands and thousands of cases will be effected. 

I'll come back and edit with the links after I wake up again and have my wits about me.

• Love 3

You get local news and weather with a dish. The networks show local news!  You will have the exact same programming you are watching now on the networks.  I have had DIRECTV for over 20 years.  I love it.  I get many chanels of crime shows in the basic package. 

On 4/24/2017 at 9:13 PM, friendperidot said:

Brattinella, I'm in a major, small city in the NE part of the state! Escape is part of the Fox/METV group. I am looking forward to putting an antenna on the roof so I can get some additional channels like THIS, ION and both the ABC and the NBC affiliates without having to move the indoor antenna to a different side of the window! I want THIS because they show Cagney & Lacey on Sunday nights, I love my crime shows whether they be fiction or true.

• Love 1

I have U-verse.  Used to have Direct TV, but we moved to an apartment, and there's a tree blocking the southern sky.
I just saw this this morning, on streaming, that I hear so much about.
I'm fine with what I have, except I just got amazon prime, and I'd LOVE to be able to stream Mike Holmes' Holmes on Homes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/create-your-ideal-streaming-bundle/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tv-streaming-1pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.12a38e8d53a6

• Love 2
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

Looks like Shreveport is a mess, whatever Demery's personal aggrandizement. I have more understanding of where he is coming from now. Still might be better to leave that shit out. 

• Love 2
On 4/26/2017 at 7:24 PM, walnutqueen said:

THIS.  He never misses an opportunity to throw shade on his fellow officers, while making himself out to be the most infallible and greatest detective ever.  He even said something like he's won convictions on every one of his murder cases, when we all know the prosecutors do that, albeit with his (and a lot of other people's) help.  Egoist extraordinaire.

That's why I have never liked Joe Kenda. He has always seemed a little too self satisfied to me.

• Love 6
On 4/25/2017 at 6:10 PM, Brattinella said:

What a horrifying case James Cahill is!  I can't believe the laws in NY or the judge or how he only got 37 years?!  He is a monster who should NEVER be free again!

ETA: Scott Powell is another nasty monster who came back to finish what he started.  I try not to think of it too.  So bad. :((

My favorite part was where his lawyer said something to the effect of with the exception of those two days, he's a nice guy. Umm, ok, with the bat attack, I guess I could accept that he may have snapped. But the cyanide, that took some serious thought and planning. I think that's an indication that he is not a nice guy!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, geekgirl921 said:

That's why I have never liked Joe Kenda. He has always seemed a little too self satisfied to me.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. He's not as dismissive, but his "I solved all these cases" position is bullshit and self-aggrandizing. 

• Love 2

Just watched the Real Detective about Angel Doe, one of the saddest things I've ever seen.
One child picked  to beaten and locked in a closet by dad, and mother didn't stand up for her.
It was in Texas, and I was really hoping that SOB would fry, but he got life.  Mom got 50 years.
I know they'll know what he's in for, but he's a really big man.

• Love 3
On 4/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, azshadowwalker said:

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. He's not as dismissive, but his "I solved all these cases" position is bullshit and self-aggrandizing. 

Agreed.  But Kenda doesn't diss his fellow officers, and doesn't seem to carry a big ole chip on his shoulders like that Demery guy (nor does he brag about ALWAYS getting a confession on ALL of his cases - that smells to high heaven).

• Love 5
17 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Agreed.  But Kenda doesn't diss his fellow officers, and doesn't seem to carry a big ole chip on his shoulders like that Demery guy (nor does he brag about ALWAYS getting a confession on ALL of his cases - that smells to high heaven).

Much easier for a white dude in law enforcement. A black dude in Shreveport? I have family just a few miles from there on the Texas side. It's not easy to be black in any occupation there, let alone as a cop.  Demery isn't the only AA LEO to have problems in the South. The black female detective on the Memphis episodes of The First 48 also sued her department over racist and sexist harassment.

Kenda also brags about having special knowledge of who's lying, which I call bullshit on. All cops say that, and they are all full of shit. 

• Love 7

Rodney Demery filed a lawsuit June 24 in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana against the city of Shreveport and Mayor Ollie Tyler, former Mayor Cedric Glover and Chief of Police Willie Shaw, in their individual and official capacities, alleging discrimination in employment and violations of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

FWIW, the three individuals named above are all African-American.  Cedric Glover was the very first African-American mayor of Shreveport and Ollie Taylor is the first African-American female mayor of the city.  

Anyhow, it ended in a voluntary dismissal.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2017 at 6:06 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

What channel was this on??  Thanks

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am not certain this goes here, but did anyone watch Casting JonBenet on Netflix? 

No, but it makes me wish I had Netflix.  :-D

So, if See No Evil doesn't creep you out, ID has a new show called Hear No Evil.  Chills already.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel safe in saying you're better off. It was terrible.

Hee!  Once again, I dodged the silver bullet.  But I do regret not being able to snark on a show I've never seen!   :-)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am sure any unfounded insult you could say would somehow apply to it.

Sadly, all my insults are unfounded, unless they are directed at my hapless self!  :-D

I shall live vicariously through yours, should you decide to take the hit for us non-Netflixers.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I shall live vicariously through yours, should you decide to take the hit for us non-Netflixers.

My mom has Netflix so I have access to it, there's just never anything on it that I want to watch.  Their movie selection sucks and I don't like binge watching tv series.

Edited by partofme
  • Love 1