Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I watched the new show "Las Vegas Law" last night and really liked it. A little different than the other ID shows and well done. Also, Aphrodite seemed to be high in her talking heads and interviews during her last show. I know it's hard to tell because she is odd to begin with. IMO

• Love 5

I'm watching On The Case With Paula Zahn and the ex-boyfriend of a murder victim has refused to take a polygraph.  Cop: "Why would you refuse to take a polygraph?"

Umm, because sometimes guilty people pass and innocent people fail?(Not implying that this was the reason in this particular case, just saying...)

• Love 10

I liked Murder U and I almost got away with it. I'm sick of hearing about Dee Dee Moore and the female twins who killed their mom. I love historical crimes like the Benders and the Harpe brothers on Evil Kin.

• Love 3
On 5/3/2016 at 4:49 PM, AKraven said:

Aw, damn it, I just learned that Peter Thomas, narrator of Forensic Files, has died.  He was one of my favorites.

Noooo, I'm just learning about this.  :(

On another note, I'm annoyed that the season finale of  See No Evil is going to feature those twins from Georgia who killed their mother, as I'm sick of seeing that story done.

• Love 7

I just watched tonight's Aphrodite Jones show. Ugh. She acts like she's marching into town to solve this big mystery -- and it turns out to be a case that has been solved forever and has already been detailed on other shows. And the commercials, "Aphrodite is fearless!" Um, yeah, because all she's doing is asking question about a case that's over and done. I'm taking that show off my list. 

It seems to me like the Murder U shows have all been done elsewhere...

• Love 8
On 5/15/2016 at 4:26 PM, Rina99 said:

On another note, I'm annoyed that the season finale of  See No Evil is going to feature those twins from Georgia who killed their mother, as I'm sick of seeing that story done.

I agree, they've been on umpteen shows. 

• Love 5

You know, I've somehow missed the twins, so I've got it to watch.
I wonder what the most-used murder is.  Might be my favorite, the Canadian colonel, or the daughter in the pink bathrobe.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, auntjess said:

You know, I've somehow missed the twins, so I've got it to watch.
I wonder what the most-used murder is.  Might be my favorite, the Canadian colonel, or the daughter in the pink bathrobe.

Auntjess - The Canadian colonel is one of my faves, too.  What a sicko. The daughter in the pink bathrobe?  Did she wear her bathrobe inside out when she killed her mother?   

• Love 4
(edited)

I remember a very short-lived TV show with  a policeman named Lenoir.  He would show a crime scene,  a little background with the contestants, and they had to pick the right evidence to test, etc.  They did the pink bathrobe girl story.

No one in the group took the bathrobe out of the trash!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Did she wear her bathrobe inside out when she killed her mother?   

Backwards. And wore a shower cap on her hair. Forensic Files covered this, too.

• Love 4

I remember a very short-lived TV show with  a policeman named Lenoir.  He would show a crime scene...

I remember, too. I watched that show.  It was called Murder and aired on Spike TV.  Tommy LeNoir was the cop/host.

• Love 1

Not only did I watch the twins on See No Evil, I realized I'd taped an older Dateline(?) or one of those, which also had the show.
That poor woman was badly let down by the juvenile judge, when the judge sent the girls to live with the great-grandmother.

• Love 5

I just can't get past those names....Jasmiyah and Tasmiyah.  Particularly because all these shows seemed to say "Jaz and Taz" at least 500 times per episode.  I know people like to do the rhyming twin name thing, but...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, stillhere1900 said:

"Fear Thy Neighbor"

About the neighbors who put a deer feeder in their front yard that attracted many many deer.

I saw that one too. Couldn't figure out why anyone would want to attract that many deer to their yard, especially with the risk of Lyme disease plus they can run out of nowhere into the road where a car can hit them. 

One point that was made was the deer are like lawnmowers and eat plants as well. Anyone else in the nearby area was unable to have a garden if they wanted one.  I thought the woman who kept feeding them was pretty selfish in that regard but the neighbor man with the gun obviously went too far over the top.  He belongs in jail. 

• Love 4
(edited)

The deer feeder people were HORRIBLE.  They went out of their way to make life miserable for this poor sap who picked up LYME

DISEASE from those scrofulous deer!     That man was in constant pain, he lost his job, and his life was going to shit because of those

selfish neighbors. Their front yard looked like Tobacco Road, wasn't there an HOA or even a city council to regulate that stuff?

Plus, there were what, 25 deer or more?  Imagine your yard FILLED with deer poop!  Gross!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Plus, there were what, 25 deer or more?  Imagine your yard FILLED with deer poop!  Gross!

Brattinella - I didn't watch this ep. cuz I deleted the Fear Thy Neighbor series (to be recorded) from my DVR, but after all these comments I'm actually sorry I missed it.  I'm sure even my little 3 y.o. mini-Goldendoodle, Maizie (my avatar), would have watched it due to her LOVE of rolling around in the backyard in DEER SHIT!  OMG, she goes flat on her back & wriggles back & forth w/her little paws all in the air until she's covered in it.  Why she continues to do it when she KNOWS she'll be taken directly into the bathroom for a bath, I'll never know!  (Sorry, mods, this most definitely is off topic, but couldn't resist cuz it brings back such fond (NOT) memories...most recent being day B4 yesterday!)  I'll bet your little cigar-smoking Boxer did the same thing!

Edited by Maizie131
typo
  • Love 2

Maizie, the episode is being rerun tomorrow at noon if you're interested.  

Fear Thy Neighbor is a sort of favorite for me - I say that because it seems while the episodes are interesting and keep my attention and have stories that haven't been done ad nauseum like other series do, every episode I've seen seems to have either a crazy young person or a over the top old guy who finally gets out his revenge by going on a shooting rampage. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Maizie, the episode is being rerun tomorrow at noon if you're interested.  

Fear Thy Neighbor is a sort of favorite for me - I say that because it seems while the episodes are interesting and keep my attention and have stories that haven't been done ad nauseum like other series do, every episode I've seen seems to have either a crazy young person or a over the top old guy who finally gets out his revenge by going on a shooting rampage. 

Thanks, Cobb Salad!  I just scheduled it on my DVR.  I'll watch it with Maizie!  ha! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

The deer feeder people were HORRIBLE.  They went out of their way to make life miserable for this poor sap who picked up LYME

DISEASE from those scrofulous deer!     That man was in constant pain, he lost his job, and his life was going to shit because of those

selfish neighbors. Their front yard looked like Tobacco Road, wasn't there an HOA or even a city council to regulate that stuff?

You are absolutely right!

I did not see this episode (but will record, thanks, Maizie 131) but was incensed by the deer-feeding neighbor. 

Were there ordinances in place against feeding the deer but officials in place were either uninformed or underestimated the problem? Or thought they'd work it out?

DEER! Unbelievable. But not. I watch ID!

I'll not forget the FTN outdoor-night-beacons episode soon. Pretty sure that was old v. young.

• Love 2

I must say, Maizie, that I  am CACKLING here over your GoldenDoodle's antics!  AND in DEER shit!   LOL!

Our boxer fortunately didn't have any dung from forest creatures to roll in, he and the other dogs were content to tip over the

kitchen garbage and root around. :)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Brattlinella, I love you for this post. First and foremost because I had a hard time understanding the lack of compassion the deer feeding neighbors displayed. They in no way deserved the shooting but it was really negligent how they fed the deer considering Lyme disease with all its repercussions.  But secondly I love this post for your Tobacco Road reference as it is a fave song of mine as sung by Eric Burdon and War. 

• Love 2

What annoyed me was the brunette neighbor who said, in her talking head, "All of the rest of us in the neighborhood managed to not get infected with Lyme disease. We would check ourselves for ticks every day." She seemed almost annoyed that the man allowed himself to be infected. Ugh.

On another note, for some reason Murder Among Friends just cannot keep my attention.

• Love 9

If I watch Disappeared I google for more info. Usually there's some resolution but usually it's because a body was found. At least it's a closure of sorts. I used to refuse to watch Disappeared, same as above posters, but sometimes it's the only thing on and I'm in the mood for some true crime.

I do that with other true crime shows too. Mainly to make sure the "perp" didn't get an early release.

• Love 3

I guess Vanishing Women is the same as that Cajun one earlier this year, can't remember the title.
I watched a few of those, then quit.  Did they ever find out who killed Eugenie?

• Love 1

I´ve been watching Your worst nightmare season 2 recently. I remember liking season 1 because it was so scary. This time around I literally just hate watch it, to see how stupid they make the victims look. Often I´m actually rooting for the bad guy, which I feel is really sick and I´ve never done that and I´m not a sociopath or anything. But all the women screaming and screaming, and saying the most stupid things, it´s just too much. I´m sure they weren´t like that in real life, and I feel really bad for the way the show makes some of the murder-victims look. I´ll give a few examples,

Spoiler

there was a pastor´s daughter who got attacked in her own house, and then her dad came home and was attacked as well, she got free and she started screaming "daddy I´m coming" letting the attacker know that she was on her way. It was so annoying and silly, and she was one of those who screamed and screamed throughout the show (I have to mute most of the episodes beyond a certain point because of it). Then there was a flight attendant who stayed in a hotel and she was deathly afraid of every man she saw in the hotel... Then of course someone she´d never seen attacked her. And a 13 year old girl saw a man standing at her window and freaked out like he had been waving a gun at her or actually inside the house. I´m sure it could have been scary but the show made it seem like a total over-reaction.

The first episode was the only episode I didn´t think was silly on season 2.

On 5/24/2016 at 6:12 PM, auntjess said:

I guess Vanishing Women is the same as that Cajun one earlier this year, can't remember the title.
I watched a few of those, then quit.  Did they ever find out who killed Eugenie?

I looked up this case.  They never did find out who killed Eugenie Boisfontaine.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I looked up this case.  They never did find out who killed Eugenie Boisfontaine.

Weren't they seriously questioning the ex-husband?  Or am I confusing this with some other murder. 

Is her ex the one who lawyered up with three attorneys?

With all the ID shows I watch I need to compile a flow chart to keep the murders/murderers/suspects/locations/PD's separate.

They ALWAYS question the ex-husband.  Boring.
The Murder U show was one that I've seen, a while back, on either Forensic Files or New Detectives, and now my quest is to see that show again, because it was a lot less laborious.

• Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

The Murder U show was one that I've seen, a while back, on either Forensic Files or New Detectives, and now my quest is to see that show again, because it was a lot less laborious.

Forensic Files. I think that's right because I got twenty minutes into the Murder U ep and once they said she lived off-campus and her name was Michelle and she had migraines and had a new nurse friend named Oliver, I realized I'd seen this one before on another show.

And I think this now means I officially watch too much Investigation Discovery/Forensic Files.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Forensic Files. I think that's right because I got twenty minutes into the Murder U ep and once they said she lived off-campus and her name was Michelle and she had migraines and had a new nurse friend named Oliver, I realized I'd seen this one before on another show.

And I think this now means I officially watch too much Investigation Discovery/Forensic Files.

Lexielily - I, too, was surprised (and not happy) when the episode was about 15-20 minutes in, and I heard the name Oliver O'Quinn & realized it was yet another re-hash of a murder that's been done on at least 2 other programs.  As PsychoKlown said above, we really do need a flow chart to keep track of all these shows so we don't waste our time watching do-overs.  I often wonder when I see a program featuring a murder that's been done on other shows for the 2nd or 3rd time...just a different format...if the families of the victims give their consent each time.  I'm guessing they must.  I sure the hell wouldn't -- shit, it'd be hard enough the first time to recall the horrific details of the murder of a loved one to be broadcast on national TV. 

• Love 6
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

I often wonder when I see a program featuring a murder that's been done on other shows for the 2nd or 3rd time...just a different format...if the families of the victims give their consent each time.  I'm guessing they must.  I sure the hell wouldn't -- shit, it'd be hard enough the first time to recall the horrific details of the murder of a loved one to be broadcast on national TV. 

I'll probably be in purgatory for a few extra years for saying this but am I the only one who notices how people - as my nana used to say - get all dolled up for the interviews?  The heavy makeup, shiny lip gloss, white blinding teeth and for those family or friends who really want to project - the Farrah Fawcett sprayed do?  There was one Dateline where the three sisters looked like a funeral director did their makeup.  I also recall one of them not only taking over the interview (with Keith Morrison) but also had a permanent blinding white smile frozen on her face.  It might just be me and Maizie but I couldn't speak about my dead loved one to the media much less look like I'm going to a NY Disco to do so. 

Edited by PsychoKlown