Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

46 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

If anything, the Emmy results over the years have demonstrated the Academy doesn't give a damn about buzz or what's cool, or we wouldn't see so many of the same nominees and winners year after year, long after their shows' buzz have faded, while much more acclaimed and talked about shows are ignored. Maslany was buzzed about from the very first season of Orphan Black--and was ignored by the television academy its first two years, only breaking through in its third, presumably when the voters finally got around to watching the show, which was actually when the buzz had slightly diminished.

Agree to disagree. I don't believe that more than maybe 20% of them actually watched Orphan Black. They nominated Masalny because they heard she was good and they got flak for not nominating her. I also think they rely heavily on the opinions of TV critics for their nominations. Put it this way: if you truly haven't watched enough shows to make five or six nominations, is one just going to just pick randomly or is one going to select things one has heard are good?

I believe "they nominate the same things" is a definition of the Academy that's about 5 years old. Streaming broke that mold. By all rights, those shows shouldn't be nominated as television. They're more like 13-hour movies who refuse to abide by any rules governing normal television tracking and viewership. But because they stream actual television series, they can sell themselves as just a new form of television. And the Academy agrees, because they want to be seen as cool and evolving and "with it."

To bring this back to topic, I strongly maintain that CW shows are uncool in the minds of Academy voters (thank you for the correction that Rodriguez wasn't nominated -- which sadly makes my point). They're  not new television -- they're just broadcast networks' dopey younger sibling. And being broadcast network-adjacent makes them horrendously uncool.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend airs on Netflix instead of the CW? I guarantee it has more nominations.

• Love 1

If they cared that much about critics, The Wire wouldn't have only ever gotten nominated for Writing. Homicide Life on the Street would be a Drama Series nominee, as would The Shield (and also Buffy, but that goes back to the bias against the network). All multiple-time Program of the Year nominees with the TV Critics Association. 

I suspect Maslany's nom was more helped by the Screen Actors Guild Awards nom, since those are voted on by fellow actors. The only two Sag+Globe Drama or Comedy Actress nominees without an Emmy nom are: Lahti, for WB's Jack and Bobby; and Graham, for WB's Gilmore Girls. 

Edited by jjjmoss
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

This is a little article about Vincent Rodriguez (the actor who plays Josh): http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/crazy-ex-girlfriend-vincent-rodriguez-loves-disney-husband.html

I read that earlier today and I thought it was weird how they talked about him coming out as a Disneyland lover when it was the first time I had heard he had a husband.  Heh.  Reading the comments I am glad to see that was kind of the point.

He looks happier than Josh is gonna be. Hee. 

• Love 2

Songwriting Team for CW’s ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Harmonize About Their Process

DVD info:

Just a few days ago we had the heads-up report that the Warner Archive is preparing an MOD release of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - The Complete 1st Season on DVD. At the time we had early info about a date for this title: September 20th. Now Warner has added the item as a pre-order listing to their WBshop.com online store (see button link below). It shows the finalized date and price of September 13th, at $39.99 SRP

Rachel has a healthy attitude about the Creative Arts Emmys tonight.  I do hope she and the co-writers win (if nothing else, the Emmys have a strong track record of favouring comedy songs).

Edit:  Too bad, they lost to Lady Gaga's song from The Hunting Ground.

Edit 2:  However, the series did win an Emmy, for Single Camera Picture-Editing for a Comedy.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 4

Mea culpa. After losing the Oscar and the Grammy, I didn't think the Diane Warren/Gaga song would win this time either. But I guess when you submit to enough awards, you come away with something in the end. Sigh.

Congrats to the show, and specifically editor Kabir Akhtar for his work on the pilot, for the one win. But overall, the show was still horribly robbed.

• Love 2

The losses were disappointing (especially for title song--given Jessica Jones doesn't even have any freaking words!), but the win is still amazing. It's only the CW's second ever Emmy--that should afford the show some definite leeway. They could still win the choreography Emmy tonight too possibly. 

Edited by taragel

Editing is the 5th most important field so it's amazing that this show won despite being on The CW. 

I mean, look at the competition - Veep & Silicon Valley. In the last 20 years, all other single-camera editing winners (either comedy or drama) were major players with the main primetime Emmys. The only non-Series nominees being Pushing Daisies and My Name is Earl - both winners of Supporting Actress and Directing.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 4

The sum total of network show wins while competing as a Comedy:
SNL - Tina Fey & Amy Poehler
Big Bang Theory - Editing
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Choreography
Editing

Drama: N/A.

CEG half of all network Comedy/Drama Creative Arts wins; amazing. No network Drama or Comedy got 2 wins last year.

I *think* it's just the 2nd network show to start this decade to win 2 categories to-date, after...Mike & Molly.

Edited by jjjmoss
9 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

On the vulture interview, which I listened to as a podcast, Rebecca sounded like she had some extras in mind for the DVDs. Hoping for commentaries, but I always want those. Listen here (it's over an hour).

It's getting a little late to have anything "in mind" for the DVDs, as their official release date is tomorrow. However, it looks like they're not going to make it, as Amazon has stopped posting the date and says that it has no idea when they'll be able to ship. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

There's plenty of material already created that could be included as extras, as between Rachel's channel and the CW's they posted videos throughout the season: the explicit versions of many of the songs, Aline's brief "behind the scenes" promos for each episode, and more.

OK, thanks! Even so, I wonder if there are production holdups or last-minute additions (I too would love some commentary! the Spotify commentaries are so fun, and just what I wanted) that are delaying the planned DVD date. The whole timing of the release was odd from my perspective -- all summer long there were no signs of any DVDs being planned at all, even while other shows from last season (even cancelled ones like Limitless... I gotta say, check it out, everybody, it's great fun!) had long since made their advance announcements. Then suddenly in mid-August, rumors, then definite news it would happen, and then a release date less than a month away. I'd love to know what was going on behind the scenes. But I'll be happy as long as we get them. And I'll finally feel able to delete all 18 episodes from my DVR. (No, having them on Netflix etc. doesn't give me that security; they might go away!)

• Love 2

Update to the above: Amazon just this moment updated my pre-order and said it will now arrive this Friday, the 16th -- just 3 days later than previously scheduled, really not much of a delay at all. (Actually the official release date is still tomorrow, but such is life with manufacture-on-demand.) I had been braced for it to be bumped by a month or so.

Long Island? 

My DVDs arrived today. Hurray!

No extras, which is what I expected. (There would have to be a pile of extra money around to pay for programming additional features, and the series is lucky to still be alive at all.) But I can at least delete my 18 DVR'd episodes, and settle down to watch them commercial-free. What fun.

I like Scott Michael Foster well enough but another love interest for Rebecca?  Another new character while some others haven't yet been explored?  What bothers me isn't that he'll be recurring next season but that they're already talking about making him a regular for a potential third season. 

• Love 1

We've always been told that the 4-season plan of the whole story has been plotted from the beginning, so this would not be some after-the-fact insertion. More to the point, their world has been feeling underpopulated to me: four principal characters, plus maybe eight secondary ones. They can only interact in so many ways, before it feels like a rehash of something we've already seen. Some new elements seem in order at this point.

Plus, till given reason not to, I'm inclined to trust Rachel & company, as the first-season arc was way more varied and convincing than I would have guessed from the preview of the pilot. I thought it was going to be a simplistic girl-and-two-guys triangle, and it turned out deeper and smarter than that. I no longer try to think ahead of her; bring it on and I'll take it as it comes.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

We've always been told that the 4-season plan of the whole story has been plotted from the beginning, so this would not be some after-the-fact insertion. ...

When/where was this?

14 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

We've always been told that the 4-season plan of the whole story has been plotted from the beginning, so this would not be some after-the-fact insertion. More to the point, their world has been feeling underpopulated to me: four principal characters, plus maybe eight secondary ones. They can only interact in so many ways, before it feels like a rehash of something we've already seen. Some new elements seem in order at this point.

Plus, till given reason not to, I'm inclined to trust Rachel & company, as the first-season arc was way more varied and convincing than I would have guessed from the preview of the pilot. I thought it was going to be a simplistic girl-and-two-guys triangle, and it turned out deeper and smarter than that. I no longer try to think ahead of her; bring it on and I'll take it as it comes.

From everything Rachel has said in interviews, I do trust that she understands her show and is capable of conveying, through her writing, what she intends to convey.  Not every creator/writer does that well and I think she's impressive.  However, I've seen shows, even those with a "plan" get a bit too loose when introducing new characters.  Or, more specifically, new love interest characters for the same character.  I think the only show where 3 main characters slept with another main character that worked for me was Trophy Wife.

I just hope they are making money some other way than prime time ad revenue. Maybe they are counting on people discovering the show later, and buying it to stream?? Or maybe they've decided to keep it as a "loss leader"??? It's one of the best shows ever, but the ratings are obscenely low. I want to see the whole 4 year plan unfold!!

• Love 3

I hope they stick with it for the entire story as well - my hope is that Netflix license fees will help.  I didn't catch the show last season when it first aired (I heard good things about it, but I watch very little "live" tv these days) and was thrilled to find it on Netflix.  It was a great thing to binge watch.  And then listen to on Spotify.  And then evangelize to everyone I know to get them to watch.

• Love 1

I don't mean or want to derail the thread, but A How-Ratings-Work question for anyone who knows: I have a DVR and couldn't tell you the last time I watched a show live. I will, however, set the DVR to record, say, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and then I'll start watching the recording about 20 minutes in so I can -- shh, don't tell them -- fast forward through the commercials. So it's Nearly Real Time. How do the Ratings People tally that? I enjoy CEG and usually watch my recording of each episode at least twice (or more!) before deleting it. Are those re-viewings counted somewhere somehow?

3 hours ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

I don't mean or want to derail the thread, but A How-Ratings-Work question for anyone who knows: I have a DVR and couldn't tell you the last time I watched a show live. I will, however, set the DVR to record, say, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and then I'll start watching the recording about 20 minutes in so I can -- shh, don't tell them -- fast forward through the commercials. So it's Nearly Real Time. How do the Ratings People tally that? I enjoy CEG and usually watch my recording of each episode at least twice (or more!) before deleting it. Are those re-viewings counted somewhere somehow?

I don't have that much more knowledge but from what I recall is that the Live +3 probably indicates how many people actually watched with commercials.  So even if tons more watch in the week (the live plus 7), for advertisers, it's about 3 days of DVR viewing.  Whether or not your watching gets counted depends on if you're a Nielson family. But you'd only count once, I believe.

Nielsen ratings are based on a representative sample of the American population. If you're not in their sample then your viewing is not counted. If you are in the sample then your viewing is counted. But advertisers only care if you watch the commercials, so advertising rates are based on C3 and C7 ratings (people who watch the commercials within 3 or 7 days after the show airs). We don't normally see those ratings because Nielsen doesn't make them available to the general public. We only get to see the Live+SD, Live+3 and Live+7 ratings for the whole hour (show + commercials) so we don't know how many people fast forward through the commercials or change the channel.

• Love 1

I guess it's media, and I hope it's not improper for me to mention it: I created a quiz in Sporcle based on all the song titles in the show. I plan to keep it updated weekly. There are other quizzes there based on the series, too.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

In terms of streaming the cw has done something really pretty darned smart: the only way I've found to watch the show's current season  via a streaming platform is through the CW app and the app forces you to watch the same set of commercials over and over.  I think there are actually two sets but it's kind of a brilliant structure because you can kind of count on people to get up and do things during commercials that can only be paused, so the advertiser is pretty much guaranteeing that the ads will be watched.  

I don't have cable tv any longer and have several Amazon Fire TV boxes but I also have a hulu subscription and the show isn't showing up there.  

I'd wondered why they moved the show to Friday night after it got so much critical buzz.  It was almost as if they wanted to make people view it via a DVR, On-Demand...or that app.   It's still far fewer commercials than broadcasts would have but  as pretty much no one watches those any longer, I guess it would still equal better saturation with the actual audience.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

In general when a low-rated but critically-admired show gets dumped on Friday, it implies the network is OK with current numbers, and assumes the following it has is strong enough that they'll follow it, or continue by watching via streaming, DVR, etc, and thus even while low, it's more immune to a move than something else whose success may actually be dependent on what it's up against.