Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

I don't really think the show has a chance to get a second season, but it makes me happy that it seems to be finding its audience. If it were to grow its audience more (maybe to Jane the Virgin S1 ratings), it would also be a nice way to tell networks that even low-rated premieres can achieve ratings growth in this day and age and that patience is not such a bad thing.

Let's hope Rachel Bloom can get a Golden Globe nomination for this show!

The CW ordered five more episodes so even if not renewed I hope that means a satisfying ending.

The CW ordered five more episodes so even if not renewed I hope that means a satisfying ending.

Yes, the extra episode order was a surprise after these ratings, so it indicates a certain level of faith in the show, or just a recognition that it has become a topic of excited conversation, in however limited a frame of reference. There's no knowing what's going on behind closed doors, but I'm at least looking forward to a good full season (and really a lot more air time than they would have had from a Showtime order, maybe 12 half-hour episodes).

Conversely, though I hope it's not true, I've read that more episodes but not a renewal is actually a death knell, especially on CW because they have some sort of agreement with Netflix that their cancelled shows must have a true conclusion, not just trail off. So they give enough to finish off the story with more episodes but don't have plans to renew beyond the season. TV Grim Reaper has predicted it's likely to be cancelled and Cancellation Bear doesn't give it much hope either.

I hope that's completely wrong and/or a miracle happens though, because I love this show and would happily watch for many years. The surrealness of the comedy means this isn't a show where I'll ever stress over "Where is it going?! What is the point?" So I don't think I'd grow tired of it for that reason, and the musical numbers will keep me tuning in even if it's to a bitter bitter end (much like with Glee in its latter years.) Sigh. 

At the very least, if it does tank after one, I hope some smart TV execs out there are paying attention and ready to give Rachel Bloom another shot at something. She's fantastic.

• Love 2

At the very least, if it does tank after one, I hope some smart TV execs out there are paying attention and ready to give Rachel Bloom another shot at something. She's fantastic.

So this is a total long-shot and probably even less likely to happen than renewal but... is there a world in which Netflix or Hulu could pick up CEG if it's canceled? I don't know that they would, but hey, Hulu saved The Mindy Project. I know that television is a number business but there has to be someone out there who sees the potential in this show to draw a bigger audience.

I'm just really, really hoping for Golden Globe nominations right now. I think if Rachel Bloom is nominated, which I believe she has a chance to be, that could make a huge difference in helping to save the show. That, combined with slightly improved ratings, could do the trick to save it. 

But realistically, in all likelihood, we won't get more than this one season. Just wait until people discover this show on netflix and realize what they missed out on... ugh. It kills me. 

• Love 2

So this is a total long-shot and probably even less likely to happen than renewal but... is there a world in which Netflix or Hulu could pick up CEG if it's canceled? I don't know that they would, but hey, Hulu saved The Mindy Project. I know that television is a number business but there has to be someone out there who sees the potential in this show to draw a bigger audience.

I'm just really, really hoping for Golden Globe nominations right now. I think if Rachel Bloom is nominated, which I believe she has a chance to be, that could make a huge difference in helping to save the show. That, combined with slightly improved ratings, could do the trick to save it. 

But realistically, in all likelihood, we won't get more than this one season. Just wait until people discover this show on netflix and realize what they missed out on... ugh. It kills me. 

Agree about the GG nomination. In fact, even if they manage a win at the People's Choice Awards (which they likely won't) that could help I think. Who's the production company behind CEG? Is it Warner Brothers by chance? They successfully sold Longmire off to Netflix. Although that had a super-mobilized fanbase and crazy high overall ratings but not in the right demographic for ad-driven television.

This so much! I hope this is a stepping stone to bigger and better things for her. Not that CXG hasn't been great so far!

• Love 1

Agree about the GG nomination. In fact, even if they manage a win at the People's Choice Awards (which they likely won't) that could help I think. Who's the production company behind CEG? Is it Warner Brothers by chance?

It's CBS. Which makes for an intriguing corporate politics wrinkle some cancellation-prediction sites overlook: because the CW is a joint venture between CBS and WB, there's a sense that the CW tries to keep some sort of balance in what they air, and right now I think WB studio products are the majority.  But even there, Jane The Virgin (also a CBS Studios show) gets priority because the ratings are a little better and the critical acclaim a little higher, so potentially if CBS Studio's development slate this pilot season is really really strong, the CW might still cancel CXG in favor of ordering one more new show.  Go figure.

For now, I guess try to talk up the show and share your favorite song number, most to all are on Youtube, and hopefully that'd help. I mean, the ratings ticked up over the last few weeks, that's gotta be something.

.. so potentially if CBS Studio's development slate this pilot season is really really strong, the CW might still cancel CXG in favor of ordering one more new show. 

Yeah, there's some talk that a new romantic comedy adaptation of a Brazilian show called No Tomorrow might take its place. Looks like it's from the Jane the Virgin producers so likely they'll develop it to pair with Jane on Mondays.

Yeah, there's some talk that a new romantic comedy adaptation of a Brazilian show called No Tomorrow might take its place. Looks like it's from the Jane the Virgin producers so likely they'll develop it to pair with Jane on Mondays.

Ugh this breaks my heart to hear... I am hoping against hope this doesn't happen. I really loved Jane the Virgin last season, but I don't think this season is good enough to merit greenlighting another show from the same producers. 

• Love 3

Conversely, though I hope it's not true, I've read that more episodes but not a renewal is actually a death knell, especially on CW because they have some sort of agreement with Netflix that their cancelled shows must have a true conclusion, not just trail off. So they give enough to finish off the story with more episodes but don't have plans to renew beyond the season.

Not ordering more episodes would be more of a death knell than ordering more episodes. 

Most debuting fall broadcast shows only have an initial order for 13 episodes.  The next step is usually ordering  the back 9 to complete a full 22 episode season.  Renewal for a second season usually comes after they're into the back 9.  Jane The Virgin and some other CW shows were renewed early in January last year and that was considered an early pickup but they had already received their back 9.

The fact that it was 5 instead of 9 could be troubling but I've seen shorter orders happen even with shows that for sure were coming back.

Netflix deal is over this season, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

For the CW?  I think they're fighting to keep the CW shows.  Probably not because of Crazy Ex, though.

The CW ordered the 5 scripts before the show even premiered, so they liked what the read and gave them the 5 episodes. It could also be a production issue, especially if Rachel and Co. don't feel that they can do more than 18 a season because of the songs. All of the songs have been top notch so far - can't think of one dud. But I can't imagine that those productions are easy to film, particularly with the smaller budget that the show likely has.

Regarding Netflix: the CW shows are incredibly popular there, but when Netflix signed the deal they weren't doing original content. Now they're moving towards an HBO model and are doing it incredibly well with it and have loads and loads of original content. I can't help but to think that they'll use that pivot to undercut the CW on a new deal. There's also the issue that the big affiliate deal with the local CW stations expires this season and there's an off chance that the network folds altogether. That really has nothing to do with the show, of course, and is probably a very small likelihood.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for the Golden Globes. I think that Rachel, at least, can nab a nomination. If the show does get cancelled at the end of the season, I think there's also an outside chance that somebody else picks it up. I actually don't know if I want a second season. Like Jane the Virgin, it doesn't have the kind of storyline that will stretch well, and JtV is already cracking in season 2 trying to keep it fresh. I'd rather have 18 brilliant installments than 18 + a second season that limps to cancellation.

Edited by DB in CMH

The CW ordered the 5 scripts before the show even premiered

Yes, and then they ordered 5 more in November. So the original order must have been for 8. Their faith has been justified in the sense that it does seem to be getting written about more than most new series this fall, though of course that doesn't put money in anyone's pocket.

I'd rather have 18 brilliant installments than 18 + a second season that limps to cancellation.

On the whole, that's how I feel about it too. One well-structured, artistically successful season could turn out to be exactly the right amount. (And as long as 3 British seasons or Showtime seasons.) It'll be interesting to see how things work out.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2

I agree with posts above. I like the new trend of one story running X amount of episodes to its conclusion.  This would be ideal for this show.  Rachael could create another, totally different story line for another season, using the same actors just as Crime Story is doing.  I would love for this to happen!  

There is a problem with the love triangle wearing thin in a second season.  There isn't any depth to the relationships or characters by design so where could they go with it?  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I feel like the last few interviews with Rachel, she's consistently been saying "the theme of the first season", so presumably she and McKenna have some ideas about general themes for subsequent seasons.

That's true. If memory serves, that theme is

"the lies we tell ourselves."

But any responsible show creator or developer will have ideas for how future seasons play out. Time will tell as to whether they actually happen in this case.

Agreed with the above. But I definitely think this show could do great things with more time. To me, it actually does feel like the kind of story that would best be played out more slowly. Rebecca is on a very long journey - to a healthy life, relationships, etc. In an ideal world, we would have the opportunity to see where she goes over the course of a few years. Unfortunately, we probably won't get so lucky. But hey, I can dream.

• Love 2

On the whole, that's how I feel about it too. One well-structured, artistically successful season could turn out to be exactly the right amount. (And as long as 3 British seasons or Showtime seasons.) It'll be interesting to see how things work out.

Yeah, agreed. 

It looks like Hulu is going to switch back to featuring the first five episodes. At least, the front page is promoting it, even though the show's page currently has the five most recent episodes. (Sometimes, Hulu's front page is ahead of the rest of the site.)

I think it might be available only to Hulu subscribers until next week but here's a chance to try to get your friends to check it out.

It looks like Hulu is going to switch back to featuring the first five episodes. At least, the front page is promoting it, even though the show's page currently has the five most recent episodes. (Sometimes, Hulu's front page is ahead of the rest of the site.)

I think it might be available only to Hulu subscribers until next week but here's a chance to try to get your friends to check it out.

This is great! I still strongly believe that if people try this show, they'll get into it. I am really, really hoping it can come back to higher ratings than it left with. I know it's probably unlikely, but you never know. The ratings have been very steady, which would indicate that it's not losing viewers.. if it can just get another couple hundred thousand viewers, we might have a shot... 

That's great, thanks! I wish some article would address how Santino Fontana is managing this and Shades of Blue concurrently when they film on different coasts. Some articles said that the latter finished shooting during the summer, but he has occasionally tweeted about having to fly back for a day or two for reshoots or whatever. He committed to Shades of Blue when CXGF was assumed to be dead after Showtime passed, and it worked out that he can do both, but I want to know the logistics.

IT HAPPENED, YOU GUYS. Rachel was nominated for best actress in a comedy! The other nominees are: Gina Rodriguez, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Lily Tomlin.

I'm so, so thrilled. This is what we needed and it's so well-deserved but I never actually thought it would happen. It gives me a glimmer of hope for renewal. 

Here's a link to the nominations list: http://www.slashfilm.com/2016-golden-globe-nominations/

• Love 10

FANTASTIC NEWS! And so well deserved! I can't think of another actress who could pull this role off in such a likable and entertaining manner so effortlessly. Everyone at CW has got to be losing their minds this morning with two nominees.

And Showtime is probably like, did we make a mistake? Yeah you did. And someone might lose their job over this since they did all the developing here and shelled out the initial costs.They are not known for their comedy as of late, could have been an opportunity missed.

• Love 1

WOW, excellent news, we can only hope this translates into a boost for the ratings!  I hope that's not too much to ask.

I honestly don't think it is. With Jane the Virgin last season, they did a great job in promoting a show they were in love with. It had a major advertising push, got reviewed by everyone and was a critical darling to start. Feel like I barely saw anything about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend except for some real specific TV sites. If there was a major media blitz, it wasn't on any of the many channels I frequently watch nor on many of the sites I visit. So, think this will be an introduction to a show many have never heard of and that it will have a chance to pick up more viewers.

• Love 1

Lily Tomlin will win.

She actually hasn't had a real win here before, despite 4 previous noms and now a double nom this year.

Globe noms seem to have no correlation with ratings boosts, for recent comedies.

Edited by jjjmoss

Think about the list of nominees in this category:

Jamie Lee Curtis, Lily Tomlin: completely showbiz royalty.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: Emmy and GG winner many times over, for two different shows.

Two new faces, one already awarded last year, working on tiny shows for CW.

The CW has good reason to brag, and I sure hope they do, in the form of promoting the hell out of CXG.

I am so happy to hear this news! The CW must be doing a their own big dance number of happiness right about now. 

Hope this leads to more interest in the show, even if Rachel does not take home the award. 

What an...interesting year it is for Golden Globes. 

• Love 1

In all honesty, I wouldn't complain about Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning this category. Despite being a repeat, she's off-the-charts sensational on Veep.

But so is Rachel Bloom on her show, and I would kvell with delight for days if she got the award. And if the voters really look at the submitted shows (rather than relying on buzz and reputation), she even has a chance. As aforementioned in this thread, she's doing something different from everyone else, and doing it brilliantly.

• Love 2

I wasn't even thinking about Rachel getting a nom for the show, so I was so surprised and happy when I saw her name.I know the ratings have been crappy, so I'm hoping her nom pulls in some newcomers and gives the show an added buzz.  But I don't even really think it helped when Gina Rodríguez won her Golden Globe for Jane the Virgin.

In all honesty, I wouldn't complain about Julia Louis-Dreyfus winning this category. Despite being a repeat, she's off-the-charts sensational on Veep.

I'm torn because I do think JLD is hands-down the funniest woman on TV right now.  (And I tend to think that whenever she's on TV.)  And it seems like she keeps upping her game each season of Veep which is hard considering how long she has been doing this comedy thing. 

But Rachel needs it more.  Suddenly JTV isn't the only CW show with award recognition.  It saved Jane last year.  It probably is helping them this year too.  I don't think it'll raise ratings.  It didn't help Jane's ratings overall.  But the CW TPTB care about award recognition because they get it so rarely.

• Love 2

Boy, is this good news--I'm so filled with love for this show, and so mad at myself for falling this hard for something that needs a miracle for a season two.  But maybe . . . maybe.  I'm daring to hope again.  This *is* the CW, after all--their ratings exist in a different universe, and even a hint of critical prestige must mean something to them.  They have gold in their hands right now with Rachel and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend--I can't imagine why more people aren't seeing it.