Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Makes The News!

I hope this is the right place to mention it but I just noticed this year PBS' Christmas special with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has Santino Fontana and the Muppets of Sesame Street at the guest performers. It's scheduled for next Monday, which should help fill that CXG void (if only just the Santino parts).

In the short term, I think the awards helps with Netflix. Shows with critical buzz tend to be more streaming friendly, at least until critics feel the need to turn every episode into an article, because all that buzz turns them into shows people mean to check out... but don't get around to until they've passed the show on Netflix a dozen times.

Santino Fontana has been the soloist with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir before (apparently telecast, though if so I missed hearing about it at the time). His concert is easy to find on YouTube, in sections with backstage segments and interview bits. It would be nice this year if some brief mention of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend happened. 

I keep finding when I recommend the show to friends at work that it's absolute news to them; they've literally never heard of it (and some were looking around for new shows to watch).* So any additional publicity in new venues helps.

(*Being music professors like me, they were also immediately delighted with what they saw.)

• Love 1

Yay for that Critics' Choice Award nom!! I wish the show had gotten one for Best Comedy (I don't believe Jane the Virgin is as good/deserving this season and they got nominated.) But maybe all this love for JTV will also help secure CEG's slot and they'll want to keep them together. 

Edited by taragel

Hmm, and none of the shows that were only on January-May were eligible, so the competition wasn't too tough.

(I.e. Emmy Comedy nominees Veep, Louie, Silicon Valley, Kimmy Schmidt, Parks and Rec were not qualified.)

I can't imagine why more people aren't seeing it.

I watched one episode and loved it.  Then I read that it was going to be cancelled, so I

didn't want to get invested and disappointed.  I'm still not over Firefly.

It hasn't been cancelled. In fact its network ordered 5 additional episodes, for a total of 18.

Obviously we all have our own way of apportioning our viewing time, and I'm not telling anyone else what to do. But if there's a show I enjoy, I watch it, without worrying that it may have a finite life. Why deprive myself? At worst I'll have had 18 hours of pleasure that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

• Love 4

CXG gets tax credits!

Good news for freshman series Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Code Black and Rosewood.

The three broadcast shows are among the 11 television projects selected by the California Film Commission to receive tax credits under the state's newly expanded program.

I don't really know what this means, but I'm guessing it reduces costs to the studio and therefore maybe helps its renewal chances a smidge?

• Love 1

This Best 25 Comedians of 2015 list includes Our Hero:

Before her breakout role on the CW’s new musical comedy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and before her Golden Globe nomination, Rachel Bloom sang songs on YouTube about cake farts, watching the Tony Awards with a Craigslist weirdo, and lusting after Ray Bradbury. She had then what she has now: a seemingly boundless reserve of energy, a refined sense of silliness, and a knack for clever lyrics. The only difference is the size of her audience. Watching Bloom rake in the accolades for Crazy Ex, which she co-created with The Devil Wears Prada writer Aline Brosh McKenna, has been a highlight in a year otherwise dominated by more established talent. Bloom is quickly carving out a place for her unique feminist take on mental illness—something sorely needed but rarely done on broadcast television.—May Saunders

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/the-25-best-comedians-of-2015.html?a=1

• Love 1

While you're waiting for the show to come back, watch Rachel, Vincent, and Santino answer silly questions and be cute:

Rest of the videos at CW's youtube channel.

• Love 1

A few reports from the TCAs:

http://deadline.com/2016/01/crazy-ex-girlfriend-continues-to-baffle-reporters-tca-1201679476/

“We would never do a show that wasn’t a send-up of it,” she said. “When you see the show, it’s outspokenly feminist, in terms of depicting women in a 360 way, and talking about women’s lives in a frank, outspoken way.”

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/tca-jane-role-model-says-ep/146833

Brosh McKenna said Crazy Ex’s humorous songs, available on digital platforms, may be a way in to the series for potential viewers. There will be 38 songs this season—“a triple album!” said Brosh McKenna—representing a multitude of genres. She cited the “crazy magic wizardry” of the ditty-writers, including star and exec producer Rachel Bloom.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/39818-press-tour-watch-crazy-ex-girlfriend

"One of the reasons we all like this show is that in a very fluffy, fun way it gets at serious topics: Mental illness, instability, taking drugs to try to cure yourself," he said. "I don't think we want a homogenized version of that show. We wanted that very in-your-face point of view and we supported it and if that's the reason we're not getting a mass audience, then I'm sorry to hear that but we're not asking them to change the show."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160110/entlife/301109904/

"It's an out-of-the-box show so it's hard to get people to understand totally what it is," McKenna said. "When you watch one episode, I think people get it."

• Love 2

It is true.  Rachel Bloom confirmed it on Twitter.  It came from the TCA for the CW.

And the head of the CW seems pretty high on the show.  I got the impression that if he could find a way to convince himself to renew it, he might.  But audience will have to help out too.

I have so much more respect for The CW as a network, hearing their execs talk about this show. They get exactly what I love about it, and they specifically WANT the show to be different than the rest of TV, and to represent what it represents, the way it represents it. That's cool. It makes me think that if they could manage to sell this product, that they'd produce other out of the box shows, too. Who knows what we could be watching if we could just get people to tune in?

The people I've tried to sell this show to, are people I feel very confident would love it, but they either have given up on TV entirely and can't be persuaded to even try to stream it once as an experiment, or they are so offended by the title that they just can't wrap their heads around my explanation that the show doesn't mean it the way you might think they mean it.... And I get that, but I wish I were a better salesperson, because I truly think they'd love it if they'd give it a try.

I love that the Globes aren't afraid to go outside the box with nominees and winners. Sometimes it's really nutty (Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp for The Tourist), but it also gives some lesser-known people and shows some love.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

So happy. I picked her in my GG Awards pool! I figured the Hollywood Foreign Press loves newcomers. RB had some good competition too. Hope this win helps for a second season.Oh wait, they got a second season right?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Holy crap she won! Sooo happy for her -- and for us since it increases the chances of renewal (I hope).

Back to back Golden Globes in the category for the CW! Who would have thought?

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

I'm so happy for her! The GG may be kind of a joke, but they are the only awards show to give recognition to new blood. And apparently, the only awards show that's even aware of the CW.

The first one isn't true. For example, Ugly Betty. The second one is though; I wonder if this will push the network into giving the show a 2nd season, especially when network TV shows (even outside the CW) are struggling so much with awards of late.

Congrats!

They almost always choose a freshman show to win (From the 11 previous years, she joins Hatcher, Mary-Louise Parker, Ferrera, Collette, Linney, Dern, Dunham, Rodriguez...Fey won mostly for S1 episodes and wasn't nommed for the first couple eps.), but I was totally wrong that Tomlin would win based on her Legend status.

I will say I wish these people had been more open to unusual 5th-network critical faves when Buffy was on.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2
but I was totally wrong that Tomlin would win based on her Legend status.

Hey, it's not Emmy.

PS Read RB's speech. I actually believe her, after such stuff as The 100 season 2. Pedowitz is probably my favorite network president ATM. So much interesting stuff supported by him.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Pedowitz is probably my favorite network president ATM. So much interesting stuff supported by him.

I agree. He seems to genuinely support diversity, women-centric, and *different* programming. Now you see shows like Superstore and Telenovela on other networks -- following on Jane's success. Imagine other networks copycatting the CW. That hasn't happened since the early days of the WB.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 2

The Golden Globes really are a bit ridiculous in general, with the tiny number of voters and everyone sitting around getting sloshed and the occasionally immortally puzzling choices. (Remember Pia Zadora?) But I can never write them off entirely, because they occasionally do a good deed like this. I am very happy indeed.

I will say I wish these people had been more open to unusual 5th-network critical faves when Buffy was on.

They were. Golden Globes chose Keri Russell as winner in the same category when Felicity was on the WB (same timeframe as Buffy). 

The Golden Globes really are a bit ridiculous in general, with the tiny number of voters and everyone sitting around getting sloshed and the occasionally immortally puzzling choices. (Remember Pia Zadora?) But I can never write them off entirely, because they occasionally do a good deed like this. I am very happy indeed.

Agreed. I thought the win for Jane the Virgin was ridiculous but I'm very happy about this, especially if it brings more exposure to this show and a second season!

I love the Golden Globe awards because:.  

*Everyone is more relaxed sitting around tables so it makes the audience camera shots much more interesting.

*There are surprises because they don't go for the obvious win in some categories,  as we see here.  

*The gowns are slightly less elaborate. 

*They do both TV and movies 

I love Ricky Gervais and think he is one of the funniest people on the planet but his hosting fell short last night.  I fell asleep so I might have missed something good.   His transgender jokes did not cross a line, but in the audience shots we saw everyone keeping a straight face due to the touchy nature and not knowing where he would go with it.   And they were not that funny. 

...Yeah, I was saying Buffy should have won awards. I lack ignorance about awards.

Well, what you said was that you wish they were more open back then to shows like Buffy. I pointed out that the HFPA were pretty open to overlooked fledgling network shows featuring young talent, like the WB had in abundance. They just didn't give Buffy anything because of the kind of show it was probably. I do think that while HFPA like to reward new shows and talent (and especially in the comedy/musical categories), they still share the slight bias that Emmys and Oscars seem to have against sci-fi shows in general. Hence the lack of love for Orphan Black, which is (IMO) operating in the same general sphere as a show like the big-winning Mr. Robot. Maybe that gets all the love because it's not TECHNICALLY sci-fi... just a tech show with an unreliable narrator. Or maybe it's seen as more "serious". IDK but Tatiana Maslany deserves all the awards in the world and her being overlooked when she's so flawlessly & convincingly playing 5+ characters at a time...baffles me. 

But to get back on topic, loving all the news pieces on Rachel this morning! I've already seen a handful of friends say they need to check out the show just based on her delightful speech/excitement to win. 

Edited by taragel

Wow, maybe Rachel Bloom isn't acting and she really is crazy!  That speech was annoying and manic to the point of being uncomfortable to witness. I think the viewers who haven't seen the show and the audience were glad to see her leave the stage.   

• Love 1

I disagree. I found the speech appropriately excited and endearingly flustered (even if she prepared it, she probably didn't really expect to win), and she still managed to say everything she needed to. (And they were playing people off, so she couldn't go slow.) Well done, Rachel.

• Love 4

Haha, that speech was clearly polarizing. 

I found it sweet, though! Honestly I just loved how thrilled she was - she deserved it so much and I was so happy for her. 

In terms of the impact this might have on cancellation odds: I am trying not to get my hopes up. At this point, we're still a long way from any sort of certainty or likelihood of renewal. I'm trying to operate under the assumption that we're only getting 10 more episodes. But I'm going to savor them. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky! 

• Love 3