Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Anticipation

• Start Topic

Your place to discuss the upcoming new season...

That's right, fans. Food Network Star, Season 11 is set to kick off in Los Angeles this summer (Sunday, June 7 at 9|8c). And in true Hollywood style, the lights of potential stardom will be shining bright as 12 eager finalists arrive for their chance at the most-sought-after career in the culinary industry: Food Network host. Led by judge-mentors Bobby and Giada, these rivals must put their dreams on the line as they take a chance on their futures during an intensive three-month process.

I get why Alton jumped off this crazy train, but I will miss him.  He's my favorite mentor. I haven't looked at any of the media, so I'm kind of apprehensive about the crop of weird people I'm sure they've found for this season. I'll so watch anyway though…I am slightly addicted to the madness.

• Love 5

I think Alton was getting really tired of the circus last season. It showed on his face. A few eye rolls here and there. From what I have read, it will be the same format of competitions as last season.

• Love 1

No Alton makes me sad. The ad I saw tonight made me think that Giada got an increased budget for clothes that are even more boob-baring, if that's possible. The red dress was ridiculous. Still I'll watch

• Love 5
(edited)

No Alton makes me sad. The ad I saw tonight made me think that Giada got an increased budget for clothes that are even more boob-baring, if that's possible. The red dress was ridiculous. Still I'll watch

More $$, less fabric?  Sounds about right... ha.  I'll miss Alton too. And of course, I'll watch.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 1

This is a show on the Food Network that my husband will actually watch with me, so I look forward to it every year.

I won't miss Alton.  He'd become such an insufferable tool.  I'm glad he seems to be relegated to a suitable venue like Cutthroat Kitchen, which I have actually turned off when there was nothing else on, preferring to stare at my wall.  From Good Eats to here, sigh.  It's like FN chews up their talent, spits out everything that is annoying about them, then exaggerates those things even more . . .

So back on topic, I haven't seen any of the ads for this season yet, surprisingly.  Can't wait to see Giada's cleavage - err, dress, LOL.

• Love 6

Please, more challenges relating to Food Network host duties.  Also, a camera challenge every week.

I think FN host duties consist of showing up and reading from the teleprompter while pantomiming through the steps of the recipes the test kitchen has developed, then smiling through whatever live appearances have been contracted for you.  Even gluing Pay Day bars on your chest and mugging through a fake commercial is more compelling television than that.

• Love 1

Pay Day bars????  Oh, gawd. I had forgotten about that..........ugh and yuck. (PS I can't find any mention anymore of that particular "chef" under the current site of Kessler Canyon....hmmmmmm...wonder if he's still employed there.)

Sort of destroys that cliche about "all publicity is good publicity," doesn't it? How'd that work for ... oops, I just got an email from the FN asking me not to continue this thought!

• Love 3

Pay Day bars????  Oh, gawd. I had forgotten about that..........ugh and yuck. (PS I can't find any mention anymore of that particular "chef" under the current site of Kessler Canyon....hmmmmmm...wonder if he's still employed there.)

If you Google "Kessler Canyon chef" the 2nd thing that comes up is this:

Gourmet Colorado Local Cuisine, Chef Lenny - Kessler ...

www.kesslercanyon.com/dining/chef/

Kessler Canyon offers a unique take on Colorado hotel dining. Chef Lenny runs the kitchen at this hotel restaurant with a French gourmet cuisine background.

But if you click on it, it brings you to the home page. That's a cached page, which probably means that the link to him was removed fairly recently. I think Chef Lenny has moved (or been moved) to a different pasture.

• Love 2

They should repeat some of the good challenges they have done in the past. Remember when they took a walk through Chelsea Market and had to do a minute about a product they picked up? Or when they walked into a diner a la Guy and had to do what he always does? It's not easy.

• Love 3

I'm looking over the contestants now, after seeing another commercial featuring Volkswagen cars, and I spotted someone I know.

Arnold Myint was on Top Chef season 7 when they were in DC. He butted heads with Kelly a few times. He's had a couple of restaurants in Nashville that I am pretty sure closed. Then he went to Chicago for a little while, now I think he's back in Nashville. He travels a LOT. I had no idea he's on this season as he's not breathed a word! But now that I check his FB page, there it is on his banner. He's not posted about it, which is all I see unless I go there.

Here he is as Suzy Wong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W9VOJ4AtgQ

And here is an outtake from Top Chef:

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-7/episode-703/videos?clip=14746665

FN mentiones Suzy Wong in Arnold's bio, so this is fortunately not a case of anything being a surprise. Something tells me he may present some dishes as Suzy, especially if they involve cocktails. :)

Oh, no.  Matthew, the guy I dislike the most of anyone ever on Cutthroat Kitchen is on this season (he was so sure he was better than anyone else and he was so cool and young and he threw his partner under the bus and got eliminated for his own bad food).  He was insufferable in the first episode (up on the website). I dread this season if he isn't dumped soon.

Suzy Wong IS fabulous!  I love when she sneaks a look at the camera and then goes for the pitcher.  My kinda person, LOL.

I hope this is an interesting season.  And that NO ONE tapes candy to his chest. 

If they could do a show with a split screen or something, and Arnold and Suzy were both there, talking to each other and instructing us on how to make the perfect dish and a cocktail to go with it.... GOLD!

• Love 1
(edited)

Matthew bugged me on CK cuz he was so smug and obviously doing the most to try out for this show both appearances, and sure enough, here he is. But now that he's on I am kind of rooting for him to get it together since I like his cooking style (hey I love gochujang too) and he's fun to laugh at with the "I want to reach millennials" schtick.

Edited by anonymiss

With only Bobby and Giada as hosts, I'll be skipping the season. Not a fan of those two anymore. And together, well, they are insufferable, in my opinion. I enjoyed the show in the past but just can't stomach watching B&G.

• Love 1

I do agree about Guy. Those on-camera challenges he mentored were spot-on as far as him teaching them what to do and not to do. I'd like to see Jeff Mauro back as a mentor, as well as Damaris. Both of them have had successful shows.

• Love 3

The first episode is already up on Food Network's website.  No spoilers here, but just wanted to make sure people knew it was there.

Mind sharing where you found it?  I'm looking for it and finding casting tapes, upcoming schedules, etc. but can't seem to find this first episode. Any help would be much appreciated.

I checked in on the 12 quick write-up and photos for our contestants this year.  I think it is interesting that for a show that is supposedly looking for a TV star that they don't give us better looking people.  Bravo casts better looking people for Top Chef, and the point of that show is to find the best chef and not somebody I would want to look at every week.

Of course I realize that Food Network is casting people to make me want to watch Food Network Star for a few weeks, so the real requirement is a solid reality show personality, So we need a jerk, a crier, a backstabber or a weasel, a clueless person, a couple nice ones, a couple competent ones, and so on. 

Good looks, likeability and an ability to talk about food (the actual requirements to be a Food Network star) are probably on the list somewhere.  Oh, and maybe being a good cook might help.

I think Alton was getting really tired of the circus last season. It showed on his face. A few eye rolls here and there. From what I have read, it will be the same format of competitions as last season.

Yeah, his live tweets were the real indicator that he was D O N E.  Half of the episodes he chimed in with something along the lines of "The Producers Love Him/Her" responding to "Why is he/she still on this show?!"

• Love 1
(edited)

I think this show totally jumped the shark last season what with the Lenny ridiculousness, and now he's dropped off the face of the earth not to be found anywhere, not even at Kessler Ranch?  Wow, that's just weird.  And no Alton is more reason to tune out but like moth to a flame I still tune in even knowing how fake it is.  Bobby and Giada are two negatives with no positive to balance them out.  Seriously, they are both blah and dull.  Any enthusiasm they once brought to this is gone.  And now the only Alton we see is on a different show that makes him look like he's gone to the dark side?  Well, I guess in order to keep getting a paycheck, he has to with this ridiculous network.  I agree that Guy would be a positive addition to the hosting on this show.   He could breathe new life and new enthusiasm into it plus the perspective of one who has won.  Maybe he's not interested?  If so, who could blame him?  This show has gotten even more dysfunctional since he won and he's got better fish to fry now anyway.

Edited by Snarklepuss
(edited)

Was Lenny last season? Seems like ages ago....for better or worse.

Love the red dress Giada! I wish she'd go blonde.

The annoying young kid from Cutthroat Kitchen is good TV though, at least talking head wise. He is very animated...almost too much so but at least toning him down will be more enjoyable to watch than amping up someone so scripted and controlled.

Sometimes I think they cast characters (cowboy griller, southern belle, ken doll, legit executive chef who is a train wreck on camera, quirky hipster doofus) and other times it's more personality (control freak anchorwoman, chippy blonde, funny class clown, sassy black or Mexican chef, quirky hipster doofus LOL....or just by looks (blonde, thin, fat, Hispanic, black, Asian, quirky hipster doofus.......)

Edited by HappyDancex2

I think this show totally jumped the shark last season what with the Lenny ridiculousness, and now he's dropped off the face of the earth not to be found anywhere, not even at Kessler Ranch?  Wow, that's just weird.  And no Alton is more reason to tune out but like moth to a flame I still tune in even knowing how fake it is.  Bobby and Giada are two negatives with no positive to balance them out.  Seriously, they are both blah and dull.  Any enthusiasm they once brought to this is gone.  And now the only Alton we see is on a different show that makes him look like he's gone to the dark side?  Well, I guess in order to keep getting a paycheck, he has to with this ridiculous network.  I agree that Guy would be a positive addition to the hosting on this show.   He could breathe new life and new enthusiasm into it plus the perspective of one who has won.  Maybe he's not interested?  If so, who could blame him?  This show has gotten even more dysfunctional since he won and he's got better fish to fry now anyway.

I agree about Guy....and we've officially hit rock bottom.

Bobby and Giada both are overexposed thanks to FN...and their personal lives, while common and not really that interesting, are making us far too familiar with their home business. I think it's time to put them out to pasture and start a new crop of overexposed FN hosts.

I personally would love to see Angelo Sosa, Rocco dispirito (LOL) and Ming Tsai.

• Love 3

I'm bummed to hear Alton Brown won't be on this season. A little Giada goes a long way, and somebody's got to fill the missing time. I like Bobby fine but I don't like Bobby and Giada together. There's something smug and self-satisfied about them that becomes exponentially worse when they share a screen. Alton can be kind of an ass but he's really good at puncturing the cloud of hot air that envelops the Bobby & Giada Show. I'm afraid they're just going to be insufferable now.

• Love 1

I'm not sure the show has gotten more dysfunctional since Guy won since he won Season 2, and this is Season 11.  Guy was good in guest appearances in past seasons after he won.

I agree about Guy....and we've officially hit rock bottom.

LOL, I know, it's pretty bad when you can actually see Guy improving a show on the Food Network!  I totally get the irony!

I'm not sure the show has gotten more dysfunctional since Guy won since he won Season 2, and this is Season 11.  Guy was good in guest appearances in past seasons after he won.

At least when Guy won he lent legitimacy to the show by becoming famous and successful on the Network.  The fact that there have been so many clunker winners in subsequent seasons only makes the show look more dysfunctional.  YMMV.

• Love 1

CD, I also think Jeff is the best winner so far all around.  He's a nice, solid guy, not hard on the eyes plus he has a dynamic, positive on-screen personality.  I have to admit I didn't like him much at first but he's grown on me quite a bit since then. 

• Love 4

I perceived that, after four years, Jeff is still paying his dues to Food Network. Sandwich King wasn't renewed for a new season, which they apparently approved, since they had a 'Season 6' on the show's episode guide page. Likely, FN realized why to spend on SK, which was filmed in Chicago and for which they had to pay for sets (since it wasn't Jeff's house), if he can still cook and make sandwiches on The Kitchen. That money should be used for Bobby Flay's new fitness show (another show for him), since his company produced SK. 

FN's new daytime direction is to give cooking shows to celebrities and show business people, like Daphne Dishes and Valerie Bertinelli and cancelling ones like SK and Heartland Table, which both had higher ratings than Daphne which was renewed. Even Barefoot Contessa hasn't had a new season in more than a year, and will return this year only for seasonal specials. They haven't announced new seasons of Giada at Home (maybe understandable, she'll have a new show called Giada in Italy) or Guy's Big Bite. 

Back to Jeff, he had only one regular prime time series, $24 in 24 in 2012, which was taken off the air not necessarily because of ratings, which weren't bad, given FN's lack of promotion compared to other shows, but because of a budget scandal, which culminated in alleged extorsion lawsuits between producers (http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/01/24/54213.htm). Since then, he hasn't been given another opportunity to host a regular prime time show, competition or travel. The Disney specials were given to him, likely because Guy, who was the one who did them, was unable to continue. For the second Disney special, if wasn't Jeff's but he was part of an ensemble. He also did the 'Candy Craze' special last October, which was the highest rated special that Saturday night, again with almost no promotion, as his other specials. 

Jeff is FNS' most talented winner since Guy and he deserves to host another prime time series but, FN prefers to bring outsiders like Anthony Anderson, Bill Rancic, Jessie Palmer, Dean McDermott, Richard Blais, Curtis Stone (who's first show Kitchen Inferno was heavily promoted and was an expensive flop and was given even more shows), Graham Elliott, Michael Symon, Bobby Deen and Duff Goldman (Symon returned to FN with a couple shows, Deen and Goldman with three shows each). Sunny Anderson and Geoffey Zakarian will host a new prime time series this month, so among FN family members Jeff isn't been considered to host a prime time series either.

Even for The Kitchen, as he said on interviews, Jeff auditioned because his agent encouraged him to do it, so the network not necessarily submitted his name to the producers or were supportive or championed for him plus, he was the last co-host to audition, so apparently, they had tried more people to fill that spot before him or maybe TK was created for just four co-hosts. In my opinion, he's been a big part of the success of that show and I'm not sure if it might had the same success without him. Also, I've noticed that until a couple weeks ago, they closed the promos with the picture of all the co-hosts and now, they close with Sunny lying on Katie Lee's shoulder. 

• Love 3

Off topic for a second... Bill Rancic was the worst host ever. EVER!!

I haven't been following him, so I have no clue, but he's been doing food shows? Why? He started on The Apprentice & won & went to work for Donald Trump, how does that translate into food shows?

NY1221, your post was fascinating and contained a lot of background information I would never have known about.  It just goes to show how political FN is and how connected one has to be to really make it there.  Given all of that it's a wonder Jeff has gotten as far as he has.  It would seem that his talent is overcoming some of the political stuff.  I agree with you that he has been a big part of the success of "The Kitchen" and I hope it helps him get some better opportunities in the future.  I don't remember Sunny having a prime time show before unless I missed it, which I very well could have.  This should be a big opportunity for her, and one I'm happy to see because she's another person I've felt was underutilized.  I've long felt that the same stars get all the hosting shows while other talent is left behind (or like you said, they go outside the network).  I also think they probably want to limit the number of seasons the winners of FNS get for their cooking shows regardless of ratings.  They'd rather save the money to spend on what they see as more profitable shows.  Bringing in the hosts from other networks sucks, IMO because FN used to be more about developing in-house talent than going outside to see if they can make more of a buck with a big name.  I still hope that Jeff will get another prime time show in the future.  If it can happen with Sunny, there's still hope.

Jeff is co-hosting Star Salvation with Alex Guarneschelli so at least they are still giving him opportunities like this are keeping him visible.

Crap, they're still doing the online thing? I hate the online thing.

• Love 1