Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels

In the middle of watching the episode. What in the world is up with Eric? O_o

I felt sorry for his character back in the day, and I do now too :(. Was hoping that things would go back to normal.

Scratch that... thank god that was a disguise.

I was dying the minute Eric showed up at the door. Oh how I've missed Eric and his crazy stupidity. But at least he knew what he was doing when it came to mediating the fight. If only he'd done the Feeny call...but messing up Topanga and Riley's names was funny too...

Maybe they ought to have Will Friedle play John Belushi instead of Emile Hirsch. He looks so much like him that it's scary!

• Love 2

I was dying the minute Eric showed up at the door. Oh how I've missed Eric and his crazy stupidity. But at least he knew what he was doing when it came to mediating the fight. If only he'd done the Feeny call...but messing up Topanga and Riley's names was funny too...

Maybe they ought to have Will Friedle play John Belushi instead of Emile Hirsch. He looks so much like him that it's scary!

Me too! Glad he wasn't truly coo-coo. He had me worried for a bit. Yep XD. Tomato ftw! They (Riley and Maya) honored him well in the last episode ;) :). Exactly.

Oh Eric. Sometimes you make me want to /facepalm. lol

• Love 2

OK, the "good people of Stupidtown"/"It's pronounced 'St. Upid Town'" exchange between Eric and Topanga made me laugh out loud.

Topanga was on fire with the snark, and Eric's constant getting names wrong was hilarious.

Nice callback to Eric's "Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself" from "Boy Meets World" when they're all fighting.

I kind of like that they keep alluding to Lucas's violent past.

• Love 6

OK, the "good people of Stupidtown"/"It's pronounced 'St. Upid Town'" exchange between Eric and Topanga made me laugh out loud.

Topanga was on fire with the snark, and Eric's constant getting names wrong was hilarious.

Nice callback to Eric's "Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself" from "Boy Meets World" when they're all fighting.

I kind of like that they keep alluding to Lucas's violent past.

Definitely on all counts. 

I totally, totally, TOTALLY get Maya here. I am 20 years old and I am 5'1/2. I'm done growing. Ugh. 

okay, griping aside, once again, good episode. (I do remember and long for the time where Eric wasn't so wacky, you know? He started out as Corey's more attractive older brother why couldn't he stay that way??) being said, he was on fire tonight, messing up Maya's name, Topanga's nicknames, and he and Topanga had this never before seen, stellar dynamic.

I also love the new student, he brings a good dynamic to the kids.

Honestly, I don't have a bad thing to say about this episode but I will repeat what i have said for the past three episodes, but im different words.

This show has finally found its footing. 

• Love 4

Two episodes in and I love the new student. Brings a great dynamic to the show.

Also, little Yogi too (and off-screen presumably his tall blond girlfriend is around too).

Thank goodness we are getting more kids.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the episode. Kind of mad that the next episode isn't til June. I actually remember Eric and Topanga being exactly as they were tonight in college. It's still funny to see 10 years later.

I'm really loving Zay's addition to the cast and I like that everyone is getting a chance to shine this season.

For others viewers of izombie. Does anyone find Zay Babineaux's resemblance to Clive Babineaux weird? I heard that last name for the first time on izombie and it was strange to hear it used on a completely different show.

• Love 2
Also, little Yogi too (and off-screen presumably his tall blond girlfriend is around too).

His tall girlfriend was there. She sits next to Lucas. Why do I know this?

I actually wanted more of sensible, responsible Eric than the Plays With Squirrels aspect we got. Although, I did love him calling Maya "Moesha."

The new kid questioning his flat butt, reminded me of Shawn complaining about having no butt in the BMW episode where Topanga thinks she's fat and everyone else thinks she's pregnant.

• Love 3
I actually wanted more of sensible, responsible Eric than the Plays With Squirrels aspect we got.

By the end of the ep, I actually felt like Eric has it more together than he lets on. And he could probably act a bit more normal and mature if he wanted to, but I think he has way too much fun being the way he is.

I enjoyed this episode so much. A lot of the characters had good moments, but Eric, and just about everything that came out of his mouth, was gold.

• Love 6

I died when Farkle retaliated with the toy gun and then immediately realized the point. I laughed so hard!

That reminded me of Feeny when he used a toy gun like that! XD

By the end of the ep, I actually felt like Eric has it more together than he lets on. And he could probably act a bit more normal and mature if he wanted to, but I think he has way too much fun being the way he is.

I enjoyed this episode so much. A lot of the characters had good moments, but Eric, and just about everything that came out of his mouth, was gold.

Word on both counts.

He's a bar of gold :D.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't know how much I have missed Eric until this episode. Funniest episode of the show so far. Really, loved WF for coming back. He did an awesome job. 

Eric making fun of Topanga's name and not getting Maya's name right had me dying. LMAO! 

Moesha, Malala, Margie, etc...

Also, Zay kid is really adding a new dynamic that this group has been missing. I am enjoying his comedic sense soo much. 

Edited by TwistedandBored
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed the episode. Kind of mad that the next episode isn't til June. I actually remember Eric and Topanga being exactly as they were tonight in college. It's still funny to see 10 years later.

That's the price we pay for this dumb 5 in one week idea.

And yeah, they've been writing Topanga enough like her old self that it's improved her on the show. And clearly rolled with Eric being as much of a goddam weirdo as ever, which actually works out well for a Disney show.

I think its interesting that the show actually flirted with the idea that Maya acts a bit like a bully at times, but found a balance on how to address the issue.

• Love 3

I felt bad for Maya when she said she had stopped growing and then laughed when Eric said "Me too." and wiped his tears with Maya's hair!

The  "I can't hear you" joke made me LOL as well.

• Love 5

That's the price we pay for this dumb 5 in one week idea.

And yeah, they've been writing Topanga enough like her old self that it's improved her on the show. And clearly rolled with Eric being as much of a goddam weirdo as ever, which actually works out well for a Disney show.

I think its interesting that the show actually flirted with the idea that Maya acts a bit like a bully at times, but found a balance on how to address the issue.

Exactly. I hope that they can keep the pace up. They finally found their groove. It just took some time.

(edited)

I felt bad for Maya when she said she had stopped growing and then laughed when Eric said "Me too." and wiped his tears with Maya's hair!

It is such a shame that Will Friedel hasn't landed on some sitcom. He's still pretty hilarious.

I really like how they did this episode. Compare this to "Flaws"- which kind of covered the same deal, but in a way that felt far more natural. 

Did Disney up the budget for the show? The other students are actually allowed to speak now!

I thought it was hilarious that after Eric got off his Mr. Squirrels costume, he basically dressed exactly like he did in college. I could have sworn seeing him in tan slacks and green button-down shirts like a lot. His hair was basically the same as College Eric as well.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought this episode was hilarious, and that the show's finding a perfect balance between GMW and BMW, at least for my taste. I wonder if the tweens like it this way or think there's too much focus on the grown ups?

I was really impressed to see that Rider wrote and directed the ep with Shiloh Strong. Great work.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 2

To be honest the reason I didn't buy the last seasons of BMW was because of Eric going nutso all the time.

Eric is best in small doses but it was good to see him.

Everyone is scared of Maya goes to her comment after falling no-one laffs at her but me. And it's fairly obvious that Maya can dish it out in huge quantities but as soon as someone gives it back (Lucas) she flips out.

Topange was never as fierce as she is controlling.

This was a Disney type lesson that we all feel awkward, short, insecure etc but I just saw it as Maya giving crap to Lucas for almost a year until he snappped back and then all hell broke loose and Riley was caught in the middle with feelings for Lucas and feelings for Maya. Seriously a short stack of pancakes doesn't really need a BFF to defend against the comment. Lucas apparently hit a nerve there.

Did anyone catch about 11 mins in Riley trying not to giggle when Eric was trying to make Maya taller?

Shows improving and I like the blend of BMW / GMW

Lucas friend (flat butt) hope he stays around and farkle is starting to grow on me. Though Belgium has been taken off the board for some time now.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was hilarious, and that the show's finding a perfect balance between GMW and BMW, at least for my taste. I wonder if the tweens like it this way or think there's too much focus on the grown ups?

I was really impressed to see that Ryder wrote and directed the ep with Shiloh Strong. Great work.

Fair point. I really hope that they don't like the Disney-fied version. Because *eeep*... that was a little too much. I think having a balance between the kids and adults is fine. BMW did it as well.

Cool. He did a kick ass job :).

To be honest the reason I didn't buy the last seasons of BMW was because of Eric going nutso all the time.

Eric is best in small doses but it was good to see him.

Everyone is scared of Maya goes to her comment after falling no-one laffs at her but me. And it's fairly obvious that Maya can dish it out in huge quantities but as soon as someone gives it back (Lucas) she flips out.

Topange was never as fierce as she is controlling.

This was a Disney type lesson that we all feel awkward, short, insecure etc but I just saw it as Maya giving crap to Lucas for almost a year until he snappped back and then all hell broke loose and Riley was caught in the middle with feelings for Lucas and feelings for Maya. Seriously a short stack of pancakes doesn't really need a BFF to defend against the comment. Lucas apparently hit a nerve there.

Did anyone catch about 11 mins in Riley trying not to giggle when Eric was trying to make Maya taller?

Shows improving and I like the blend of BMW / GMW

Lucas friend (flat butt) hope he stays around and farkle is starting to grow on me. Though Belgium has been taken off the board for some time now.

Exactly. I really didn't like how the show went there with him. I was like "wtf?!" in that regard. Eric was a little loopy but never crazy up until the end. I honestly wondered what drove him over the edge so to speak.

A little Eric goes a long way. But it seems as if they've balanced it out somewhat which is good.

It is such a shame that Will Friedel hasn't landed on some sitcom. He's still pretty hilarious.

He's done a TON of voiceover work and it seems that's all he wanted to do. He's done more for than pretty much the rest of the cast combined, just off screen. That could be all he wants. 

I've always had a soft spot for the character and the actor, so I found myself watching with a huge grin on my face. I died when he parted the beard and had the sucker. I had forgotten all about it. Best episode so far. The kids and adults were all great. It did crack me up that apparently the kid who plays Auggie didn't realize he was in the shot when they are in the bakery and Eric turns back into Mr. Squirrels. The child was making all sorts of faces and it looked like he was counting his teeth with his tongue or something.

• Love 2

He's done a TON of voiceover work and it seems that's all he wanted to do. He's done more for than pretty much the rest of the cast combined, just off screen. That could be all he wants. 

I've always had a soft spot for the character and the actor, so I found myself watching with a huge grin on my face. I died when he parted the beard and had the sucker. I had forgotten all about it. Best episode so far. The kids and adults were all great. It did crack me up that apparently the kid who plays Auggie didn't realize he was in the shot when they are in the bakery and Eric turns back into Mr. Squirrels. The child was making all sorts of faces and it looked like he was counting his teeth with his tongue or something.

Probably. It was great for him to come back and I hope he does again.

Definitely. It's really good and I hope this continues.

Found a site with quotes from the episode! Here it is.

Source: girlmeetsworld.tv

(edited)

EW posted an interview with Will Friedle here.  He has retired for onscreen acting several years ago and had moved onto a successful voiceover career.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/will-friedle-talks-eric-matthews-return-girl-meets-world

Totally agree that Maya completed overreacted in this one and everyone just seemed to indulge her in this.

But I enjoyed the episode.  Eric was a hoot.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

EW posted an interview with Will Friedle here.  He has retired for onscreen acting several years ago and had moved onto a successful voiceover career.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/15/will-friedle-talks-eric-matthews-return-girl-meets-world

Totally agreed that Maya completed overreacted in this one and everyone just seemed to indulge her in this.

But I enjoyed the episode.  Eric was a hoot.

Yep. Hopefully she'll outgrow it.

Definitely.

• Love 2

Cross-posting here and in the media thread since it's relevant to both.

In an interview Will Friedle revealed that part of the reason he hasn't done much on-screen acting since BMW is that he's been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks since his early twenties. It sounds like he's managing it, and was able to film three GMW episodes this season. A fan also posted a youtube video about it and worked to get a hashtag #ProudofWill trending on twitter the night Mr. Squirells aired. I think it's really awesome that he was able to talk about it, and that so many people were willing to share their support

• Love 1

Totally agreed that Maya completed overreacted in this one and everyone just seemed to indulge her in this.

I do agree that Maya overreacted, but I think the show screwed that one up by making it another "we all have flaws/things we're insecure about" rather than making it about Maya's fear of loosing her best friend to a boy. It has always been Maya and Riley. Riley is the one constant in Maya's life, the one person she can depend on, and now that Riley and Lucas are sort of kind of finally a thing, Riley sides with Lucas. Had it been anyone else, Maya believes Riley would have taken her side, but it was Lucas, so Riley sided with him. She's losing her BFF to Lucas. I think if the show had focused on that, instead of Maya being insecure about her height, it would have been a lot more interesting and made Maya's overreacting make more sense.

I, too, am liking the addition of Zay. I think he breaths new life into the little foursome. I also love all the meta stuff they are doing on the show. I think the kids watching can appreciate it for being silly while us older folks like the nods to BMW and the answer to questions that bug us. lol

• Love 6
(edited)
I do agree that Maya overreacted, but I think the show screwed that one up by making it another "we all have flaws/things we're insecure about" rather than making it about Maya's fear of loosing her best friend to a boy. It has always been Maya and Riley. Riley is the one constant in Maya's life, the one person she can depend on, and now that Riley and Lucas are sort of kind of finally a thing, Riley sides with Lucas. Had it been anyone else, Maya believes Riley would have taken her side, but it was Lucas, so Riley sided with him. She's losing her BFF to Lucas. I think if the show had focused on that, instead of Maya being insecure about her height, it would have been a lot more interesting and made Maya's overreacting make more sense.

I enjoyed the story we got, but I think your tweak is brilliant, and makes for a *much* more nuanced, complex story.

Edited by Gbb

I, too, am liking the addition of Zay. I think he breaths new life into the little foursome. I also love all the meta stuff they are doing on the show. I think the kids watching can appreciate it for being silly while us older folks like the nods to BMW and the answer to questions that bug us. lol

I totally agree with this.

Maya was not mad at Lucas for calling her "short stack of pancakes". She was mad at Riley for not defending her even if the statement was true. It seemed to Maya like Riley was taking Lucas's side. Whenever Maya calls Lucas a nickname, Riley goes "MAYA." So, Riley this time probably kept quiet or laughed which Maya didn't like. 

• Love 2

In general, the show probably could use a little diversity with the cast (they go to school in Manhattan, for crying out loud), so just adding a non-white character would have been nice - the fact that the actor who plays Zay (and the writing for Zay in general) has been so good has made his addition work not just for diversity purposes but for all aspects of the show as a whole. Really well done by GMW. 

• Love 6

In general, the show probably could use a little diversity with the cast (they go to school in Manhattan, for crying out loud), so just adding a non-white character would have been nice - the fact that the actor who plays Zay (and the writing for Zay in general) has been so good has made his addition work not just for diversity purposes but for all aspects of the show as a whole. Really well done by GMW. 

Yes, they go to school in Manhattan, so it makes PERFECT SENSE that the first noticeable black student is from TEXAS.  Right?  

You have to sigh at it, but it's better than nothing.  Yogi is a noticeable Asian, and that happened at the same time as well.  

In NYC, you'd also typically have a few Puerto Rican kids too, even in the Greenwich Village area we're supposed to believe Topanga's huge legal salary is supposed to have allowed them to live in.  Then again who the heck even gets that aspect of the show at all, given that poor as dirt Maya is supposed to go to the same school somehow, with no identifiable area of Manhattan around for her to actually live in and believably go to that school (she'd live WAAAAAAY uptown, like a 40 minute subway ride away).

Maya was not mad at Lucas for calling her "short stack of pancakes". She was mad at Riley for not defending her even if the statement was true. It seemed to Maya like Riley was taking Lucas's side. Whenever Maya calls Lucas a nickname, Riley goes "MAYA." So, Riley this time probably kept quiet or laughed which Maya didn't like. 

I actually don't think it was about Riley taking Lucas's side or anything. But Maya believes you stick up for your friends, no matter what. That means you don't stand by and let other people say stuff that could hurt them. Whether what's being said is true or not doesn't matter. For example, she thinks Riley is clumsy. And Maya can joke about that because they're friends, and Riley doesn't take it seriously coming from her. But she wouldn't stand by and let anyone else call Riley clumsy because she knows Riley would probably be hurt by that. (As she was.)

So, to Maya, what Riley was saying was, "If what someone else says has a grain of truth to it, I'll totally stand by and let them make fun of you." And that's what she was upset about. 

• Love 2

Lol when Maya told Yogi to move and the kid started to dance in his seat.  Great way to difuse Maya's anger :D :D :D

And it almost looked unscripted… Sabrina Carpenter cracked a grin that didn't really go with the character in that scene.

• Love 5

I actually don't think it was about Riley taking Lucas's side or anything. But Maya believes you stick up for your friends, no matter what. That means you don't stand by and let other people say stuff that could hurt them. Whether what's being said is true or not doesn't matter. For example, she thinks Riley is clumsy. And Maya can joke about that because they're friends, and Riley doesn't take it seriously coming from her. But she wouldn't stand by and let anyone else call Riley clumsy because she knows Riley would probably be hurt by that. (As she was.)

So, to Maya, what Riley was saying was, "If what someone else says has a grain of truth to it, I'll totally stand by and let them make fun of you." And that's what she was upset about. 

You are completely right. Maya even said this on the show and I agree with the sentiment as well. I expect my friends to standup for me no matter what. They can tell me I am wrong in private but in front of others I expect them to support me. 

• Love 2

Probably but Zay seems smarter.

Maybe it's me being biased but I was on Maya's side. It's not like the names Maya calls Lucas ever makes him feel insecure so once he realized it hurt her for real he should have apologized and Riley should have decked him.

I'm kidding but Riley should have told him not to say that if it really bothered Maya. I just want to protect Maya y'all.

Eric scared me at first. I thought he lost his damn mind. I prefer when Eric calls Topanga, Opangatah from the time she best him up for the apartment. Also, lol at "Moesha"

• Love 3

Probably but Zay seems smarter.

Maybe it's me being biased but I was on Maya's side. It's not like the names Maya calls Lucas ever makes him feel insecure so once he realized it hurt her for real he should have apologized and Riley should have decked him.

I'm kidding but Riley should have told him not to say that if it really bothered Maya. I just want to protect Maya y'all.

Eric scared me at first. I thought he lost his damn mind. I prefer when Eric calls Topanga, Opangatah from the time she best him up for the apartment. Also, lol at "Moesha"

Me too. I thought he'd truly lost his marbles.

Same XD. Eric, don't ever change.

And it almost looked unscripted… Sabrina Carpenter cracked a grin that didn't really go with the character in that scene.

I thought the same thing. I'd love to see the outtakes for this epidode. I wondered if Eric's constant getting Maya's name wrong was ad-libbed.
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought the same thing. I'd love to see the outtakes for this epidode. I wondered if Eric's constant getting Maya's name wrong was ad-libbed.

I just don't get the feeling it was.  Possibly the extent he did it, but not the whole idea of it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1