Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels

I thought the same thing. I'd love to see the outtakes for this epidode. I wondered if Eric's constant getting Maya's name wrong was ad-libbed.

Me too! I wonder as well. I wouldn't doubt if it was.

(edited)

I just don't get the feeling it was. Possibly the extent he did it, but not the whole idea of it.

Agreed. It was probably written for the first time or two, but not all of them.

Another really nice touch was Auggie's excited little dance when he sees Eric, because that's exactly how a little kid would act. My niece and nephew have done variations on that dance when I've come to visit.

Watched the "Stupidtown/St. Upid Town" exchange again between Eric and Topanga. Still makes me LOL.

The other great Eric/Topanga exchange was:

Topanga: It's Quebec.

Eric: The 'Jeopardy' guy?

Topanga: No.

Eric: Who is the 'Jeopardy' Guy?

Topanga: No.

Eric: You have a stupid name.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 6
(edited)

The opening to this ep is the best opening to GMW - ever. And I'd have to say, the best opening to any Disney show in recent memory.

Because. Eric.

I lost interest in BMW near the end also because primarily of what they did to Eric's character.

I think they balanced him out well this time. He is a little kooky, but I think some of that is an "act" in that he just doesn't want to fully grow up and be an adult. He did show some incredible insight when he was dealing with the interpersonal dynamics of the group issues .

And that exchange at the end when Topanga apologizes and says "you really are a mature, normal human being" and (in costume) screams "I am not! " just makes me think that he really is pretty conscientious of what he's doing.

I've seen some really brilliant people in my life who intentionally "play down" their brilliance.

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 7

When he called her Moesha and Malala I died. lol Will is amazing. When I was younger I thought Eric got dumber but as I got older I realized he just lost his damn mind. He more than made it up when their were serious moments like when he wanted to clean out the garage with Cory but Cory chose Shawn and Topanga.

• Love 3

I remember seeing a interview, some time back, with Eric, and he said that the behaviour he exhibited last seasons in BMW was intentional.

If anyone has seen it let me know cause I lost it.
Eric in small doses is great but if he's coming back full time may be time to reassess if GMW is on my viewing list.

Boy, I guess I'm in the minority.  I planned on coming on here and seeing how many people hated Eric being completely over the top.  And it appears that nearly everybody thoroughly enjoyed his appearance and performance.  I hated the evolution of his character on BMW, and now it's just nutso-Eric on GMW.  So maybe some of it is the character deciding to act like that, but it sure seems like most of it is him having a screw loose.  And Eric not getting Maya's name right?  Either stupidity or a total lack of respect.  He could (occasionally) remember Topanga's name; Maya's not THAT odd by comparison.  Some people have said "I like Eric in small doses."  If this is going to be Eric, I'd prefer no doses, thank you.

And as soon as the actual conflict between Maya and Riley was announced, I said "Yeah, you are short.  What about it?"  I guess this was supposed to be an episode where they're focusing on the friendship, but I was miffed by Maya's interpretation of the "betrayal."

Frankly, Zay's continued part (as opposed to a one-off appearance) was about the only thing I liked about the episode.  Where many other people feel the show has been getting its footing with the first 5 episodes of season 2, I only liked the first two.  Disappointing.

I remember seeing a interview, some time back, with Eric, and he said that the behaviour he exhibited last seasons in BMW was intentional.

If anyone has seen it let me know cause I lost it.

Eric in small doses is great but if he's coming back full time may be time to reassess if GMW is on my viewing list.

Supposedly it's for three eps in all this season.

I don't mind him in small doses either tbh, but to be fair it was great seeing the actor on screen again given all that he's gone through. It was a huge step.

(edited)

Boy, I guess I'm in the minority.  I planned on coming on here and seeing how many people hated Eric being completely over the top.  And it appears that nearly everybody thoroughly enjoyed his appearance and performance. 

I'm in the "thoroughly enjoyed it" category. Which actually surprised me because I was one of those who didn't like what happened with Eric in later seasons of BMW. But it just worked for me here. Maybe because, on BMW, it really did look like he'd totally lost it and would need 24 hour supervision to survive from day to day. But here, I really did get the feeling a lot of his behavior is an act. And I guess I'm more okay with him choosing to be that way.

And Eric not getting Maya's name right?  Either stupidity or a total lack of respect.  He could (occasionally) remember Topanga's name; Maya's not THAT odd by comparison.

When Eric reappears, I really hope he keeps getting Maya's name wrong, because that was one of my favorite parts of the episode. Now, if it looked like it was totally wrecking Maya's self-esteem or something, maybe I'd get up in arms about it. But she barely seemed even mildly bothered by it. (And her reactions were funny too.) And since I watch a comedy to see things that amuse me, and don't take things that happen on comedies all that seriously (unless the writers are treating something like a "serious issue"), I really hope that carries over.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 3

I have to admit, I'm one who was never really bothered by Eric's descent into idiocy.  I think it is because Will is just so good at portraying it that it pretty consistently made me laugh.  If it hadn't been for his talent, I probably would have been bugged by it.  

• Love 3

When he called her Moesha and Malala I died. lol Will is amazing. When I was younger I thought Eric got dumber but as I got older I realized he just lost his damn mind. He more than made it up when their were serious moments like when he wanted to clean out the garage with Cory but Cory chose Shawn and Topanga.

I figured he has a severe form of ADHD. When he was in school and had its structure he could cope fine, even if he wasn't the best student. Once he lost that structure as was left to his own devices, things got strange and stupid. If you read the list of symptoms, Eric Matthews is a textbook case.

• Love 2
Yes, they go to school in Manhattan, so it makes PERFECT SENSE that the first noticeable black student is from TEXAS.  Right?

I have a theory about Zay.  With a last name like Babineaux, it would seem that his family is originally from south Louisiana.  I think the Babineauxs lived in New Orleans until Hurricane Katrina nine years ago, and then moved to Austin afterward.  (There are a lot of people who went to Texas - especially Houston - after Katrina and never returned to Louisiana.)  This would explain both Zay's last name and why he can still have a Texas accent (especially in his first episode).

• Love 6