Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Those We Have Lost from the Music Industry

• Start Topic

Right about the time that Chester's body was found (and before anybody knew), the band released a new video. It's a good song called Talking To Myself, & it makes me sad to watch it.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Enigma X said:

Linkin Park was a phenomenal band and a lot of that was due to Chester. They created their own sound distinct from any other acts, seamlessly interweaving other genres into their music without sounding untrue to their core. Another band that helped me through rough times; although, one of their members could not hold on. Depression is a bitch!

Word. I liked some of their music over the years and it still sounds good after all this time. RIP Chester and thanks.

• Love 3

Glen Campbell's music was such a part of my childhood that this makes me feel like a beloved family member has died.

Watching all the various tributes yesterday and this morning, the thing which struck me most was, not only was he a self-taught musician, but he never learned to read music.  And yet he was a highly sought after studio musician in the early sixties - he must've had one hell of an ear to learn other people's music so quickly and masterfully.

• Love 2

I've heard that there's quite a few musicians out there who don't know how to read music. I have so much admiration for the various ways musicians have learned and honed their craft. It really adds to one's enjoyment of their music. 

• Love 1

I posted this in Celebrity Deaths -- Years ago, VH1 had a series called "Behind the Music," and Glen was featured in one of the episodes. The segment on his relationship with Tanya was funny, because Glen was clearly still angry and would only refer to her as "Tucker." Tucker did this, Tucker did that. So, while Tanya may have found a pair of rose-colored nostalgic glasses, I'm not sure Glen would return that feeling. Some relationships bring out the worst in the parties involved, and I suspect this was one of them. 

I was sad to learn that Glen had passed. However, what made me even more sad was that my 20-something co-worker didn't know who he was, and she claims to like country music. I suggested a few titles, and she listened to "Rhinestone Cowboy" for a few moments and then proceeded to tell me a story about her friend's horses. 

When I was a kid, "By The Time I Get To Phoenix," "Gentle on my Mind," and "Galveston" were in constant rotation on the radio and Glen had his own tv show.

RIP, Glen. You had remarkable talent. 

• Love 2

When I was born, my brother asked my mom to name me Rhinestone Cowboy because it was his favorite song.  Because of this I have records, CDs, tapes, posters and basically anything that ever mentions the song in my possession because it's a family joke (and I have a huge family).

I was sad to hear he passed away.

• Love 3

He was one of the few country singers I liked, probably because I heard him a lot as a child, since my dad and my much older sister loved him.  My memory is fuzzy, as I was very young, but I think my sister got in trouble as a teen when she tried to sneak out to see him in concert with some friends, or maybe she was allowed to go, but got in trouble for something that happened at or after the concert. Whatever it was, I still got to go concerts when I turned 13.  anyway,  some of my favorite memories of my dad (who was the same age as Glen, but died 20 years ago) was him singing along with Glen Campbell on the radio.

Billy Bragg and Joe Henry put out an album of train songs last year that I love.  Here's their cover of Gentle on My Mind.  I don't think I ever realized when I was a kid how sad this song is... and so beautiful. 

A forgotten song from Prince.......... "U"

Originally a song that was meant for Apollonia for her second album (which never came about), Prince instead shelved it for a few years.........

and then gave it to Paula Abdul, which was put on her "Spellbound" album.

The record company, however, decided not to give the song a music video,

opting instead to give videos to other songs, some good (Rush Rush, Promise of a New Day) and others.... (Vibeology??? Really???)

and so the song didn't get much attention.

Edited by Twilight Man

I'm just going to go ahead and say if you were born anytime between 1982 and 1986......Prince's music likely played a huge role in your conception. He practically impregnated the whole audience with this performance.

• Love 1

His biography, Tom Petty by Warren Zanes, is a very good and interesting read. My favorite song is Even the Losers. I like to think he's joined Lefty and Nelson Wilbury and are having an epic session.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

I'd like to think that somehow Mr. Petty is feeling the love and admiration of so many during these moments- and that he will take that strength and use that to help those who have abruptly been torn from this world in that horrific manner in Las Vegas. Maybe it's sentimental nonsense but I do believe that until each of us leave this world, some part of us is still 'there' within whatever shattered shell remains until its our time to leave this word.

• Love 5

So, so sad, especially since he said he was slowing down so as to spend more time with his young grandchild.  He was one of those artists, that in the back of your mind, you just assume will always be around, producing music, however unrealistic that expectation is in real life.

I only saw him in concert once, twenty years ago--he was great.

• Love 4

I too saw Tom Petty years ago, 20-25 years or so.  He put on a great show.  He was in town over the summer, but I couldn't go because of my back pain issues.  Damn.  This is just another reason why I have to try and see as many concerts as I can.  The musicians of my youth are dying and it just sucks. :(

• Love 2

I never got to see him. Always wanted to, but just never had the money/opportunity to do so. My dad got to see him once 20 some odd years ago, though, and he would tell me stories about that show and how awesome it was. 

4 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

.He was one of those artists, that in the back of your mind, you just assume will always be around, producing music, however unrealistic that expectation is in real life.

Exactly. At the very least, I expected him to live another 20, 30 years or so and grow into a happy and content old man quietly living out his life somewhere doing whatever.

Yeah. This one hurts. 

• Love 1

Bryan Adams' musical tribute -- https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzVckAgGbw/?taken-by=bryanadams

I am kind of expecting that Saturday Night Live might do a quick little thing -- probably just a quick snippet of a Tom Petty performance on one of their shows, as they cut to a commercial or something.  They did a full-length primetime special when Prince died, but, although Tom Petty had appeared on SNL quite a few times over the years, I don't think they will give him more than a quick "RIP" still shot and the snippet of a performance (sort of like what they did when Whitney Houston died).  It could be a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' sort of thing if it is placed right before a commercial.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

OK, I might as well mention this here but my very first exposure to Mr. Petty's music was the song 'Don't Come Around Here No More' on MTV and, with its depraved Alice in Wonderland theme, I honestly thought he was British despite having zero trace of anything close to those accents! LOL. I used to imagine that, if I ever had reason to meet him (and NOT in a fan setting), I'd have mentioned it to him and I like think he would have been amused by my prior cluelessness.  Oh and I was always grateful that he helped give the legendary Roy Orbison some of his last and best chances to shine in the Travelling Wilburys so a whole new generation was rocking to contemporary stuff from when he the latter's time came. RIP, Mr. Petty!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Bryan Adams' musical tribute --

I am kind of expecting that Saturday Night Live might do a quick little thing -- probably just a quick snippet of a Tom Petty performance on one of their shows, as they cut to a commercial or something.  They did a full-length primetime special when Prince died, but, although Tom Petty had appeared on SNL quite a few times over the years, I don't think they will give him more than a quick "RIP" still shot and the snippet of a performance (sort of like what they did when Whitney Houston died).  It could be a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' sort of thing if it is placed right before a commercial.

To be fair, Whitney actually died on a Saturday night, while the show was still on the air, so they were able to put that up as soon as it happened.

OTOH, they did the same thing for Lou Reed when he died in 2013, and he had died a few days before that. 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:15 PM, UYI said:

To be fair, Whitney actually died on a Saturday night, while the show was still on the air, so they were able to put that up as soon as it happened.

OTOH, they did the same thing for Lou Reed when he died in 2013, and he had died a few days before that. 

Oh, I wasn't intending to criticize SNL at all.   Whitney was just the first name that came to my mind in regards to the quick snippet R.I.P. clips that I was trying to describe.  I'm sure there have been others that also got quick clips, but I thought of her right away.   I wasn't even thinking about when she died and when SNL aired, and how much time there was in between the death and the snippet.  

I think that SNL is just not typically a show to do a whole separate special focusing on a musical artist who died, except for in the case of Prince.   It's not common for them to do it.  That's not to say they won't do it again in the future when, God forbid, someone else of an even higher stature passes on, of course.

But, especially in this week when there is such a somber mood due to the Las Vegas incident and the enormity of it, I don't expect them to devote more than a couple of seconds to Tom Petty.

Did any of the late night talk show hosts even mention Tom Petty passing?  I know it was a slippery slope, as they wanted to acknowledge the horrific incident in Las Vegas and probably not seem like they were devoting any time to talking about a "celebrity."  Jimmy Fallon said in the past that Tom was one of his all-time favorites, so I would have expected him to want to talk about it.  But whether he did or not, I'm not sure. 

I did hear both Jimmy Fallon's in-house band and Seth Meyers' in-house band playing Tom Petty songs, but I just never heard any mention of anything by the hosts. 

Some interesting articles:

https://www.stereogum.com/1965601/74-artists-on-their-favorite-tom-petty-song/franchises/list/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7988949/tom-petty-bands-pay-tribute-coldplay-wilco

Edited by TVFan17

Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus pay tribute to Tom Petty on The Tonight Show, performing "Wildflowers" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QF1alJRw-c

Matchbox Twenty singing "I Won't Back Down" in a tribute to Tom (they were big fans of TP, especially Rob Thomas) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPaaFUsP_o

Matchbox Twenty also staged this very interesting tribute -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrp-wDhxDc

Tori Amos' tribute to Tom (and she incorporated one of my all time favorite Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac songs into it)  -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtA1XNt_TY

Chris Stapleton's tribute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq79xXMJYQY

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1