Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Those We Have Lost from the Music Industry

• Start Topic

On 10/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Another shocker: Rest in peace to Eddie Van Halen, dead at 65.

One facet of the Van Halen brothers' life that doesn't get mentioned is that their Dutch father Jan met their mother Eugenia Van Beers in Indonesia and her mother was a native Indonesian. Alas, their sons would be called 'half-breed' in their Dutch  birthplace and even when the family immigrated to California when the boys were preteens, they were somewhat ostracized for having Eurasian heritage. Still, they said that their love of music was something that gave them strength and eventually popularity! 

• Useful 3

I close my eyes
Only for a moment, and the moment's gone................

Same old song
Just a drop of water in an endless sea.................

Now don't hang on
Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind
(All we are is dust in the wind)
Dust in the wind
Everything is dust in the wind

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

And now Charlie's gone.

Charlie Watts passed at 80 in London surrounded by his family according to their rep.

Rock just lost a lot of its roll today.

From what I read, he didn't go for the rock lifestyle, staying true to his wife, whom he married in 1964. Always a dapper dresser, too. May Charlie Watts rest in peace!

• Love 3

This one stuns me, and I don't know why, as he had health issues. Rest in peace to the iconic Meat Loaf. Thanks for Rocky Horror's Eddie and for Bat Out of Hell.

Which I will blast in your honor. Go belt one out to the angels!

Sort of an ironic title, but this seems fitting:

• Love 2

This one stuns me, and I don't know why, as he had health issues. Rest in peace to the iconic Meat Loaf. Thanks for Rocky Horror's Eddie and for Bat Out of Hell.

I stayed up late on Friday night bawling my eyes out while listening to his music. I guess I didn't realize how much of a part he played in my adolescence. He was often the butt of jokes, but boy, could he belt out a tune.

For taking in the rain when I'm feeling so dry
For giving me the answers when I'm asking you why
And my oh my, for that I thank you

• Love 3

Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters has died at just 50 years old. I am gutted. He was such a joy to watch! I always remember David Letterman saying "How good of a drummer must you be, to be the drummer in a band that includes Dave Grohl?"

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Taylor Hawkins, drummer for the Foo Fighters has died at just 50 years old. I am gutted. He was such a joy to watch! I always remember David Letterman saying "How good of a drummer must you be, to be the drummer in a band that includes Dave Grohl?"

Absolutely devastating! The Foo Fighters are in the middle of a tour right now, they were supposed to have a show this evening.

And how heartbreaking for Dave Grohl to be in this situation again. I read his memoir a couple of months ago, and he mentioned several times how close he was to Taylor and how much fun the two of them always had together.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

The news about Taylor Hawkins is a gut punch.

I have loved the Foos since their inception - and Nirvana before. And this is another sad loss for us, the fans, but more so, Hawkins' family and Dave Grohl himself, as he has been through this before.

May Grohl and everyone remember Taylor for his kick-ass drumming and his humor. I cannot imagine the shock everyone must be feeling in that circle.

RIP, Taylor Hawkins.

He was also a pretty good singer in his own right. Here he is covering Queen's "Somebody To Love":

• Love 4

Also just read Taylor Hawkins was the drummer on tour during Alanis' "Jagged Little Pill" era. So the man made more great music than we knew. Also think I am reacting so strongly to this because later this year, I will also turn 50.

It really gives one pause.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, chocolatine said:

And how heartbreaking for Dave Grohl to be in this situation again. I read his memoir a couple of months ago, and he mentioned several times how close he was to Taylor and how much fun the two of them always had together.

I was stunned to wake up to the news of his death this morning.  I'm a bit of an old fart, but I've always like the Foo Fighters.   I've especially enjoyed watching them whenever they did tributes to other bands.  I loved their performance at the Kennedy Center Honors when they played for Led Zeppelin.  Then there's their performances with Brian May & Roger Taylor.  I'm always rewatching those on YouTube.  Oh, and them singing with Paul McCartney.  It doesn't get much better than that!

One of my favorite videos is of the band when they let Nandi Bushell play Everlong with them, and then Taylor's sweet gesture of hugging her after the song was over.  He seemed like such a nice and likeable guy.  RIP Taylor.  Foo Fighters won't be the same without you.  I'm not so sure the guys will feel like going on without him.  Only time will tell.  It will take a long time just to get past the shock of it.  So sad. 

• Love 5
On 9/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, Popples said:

From the Taylor Hawkins Tribute concert:

On a related note, Wolfgang Van Halen (who played since Taylor Hawkins was a huge Van Halen fan!) got to honor his own father, Eddie, by playing "Hot For Teacher" and "On Fire". He definitely has his dad's smile!