Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Before You Go Make Sure You Know

(edited)

Will Beverly's wig get its own casket?

I don't want to intrude by bringing up something entirely unrelated, except that it involves wigs, TV, and someone dying, but I thought it might amuse some people. When the legendary British TV comedian Frankie Howerd died, his long-time partner and some friends held a separate funeral for his wig, and buried it in the back garden of their house. (He never pretended to be anything other than bald, the sheer obviousness of the bad wig he only wore when performing was part of the act.) When, a long time later, that house became a museum dedicated to his memory, the widowed partner (and his new partner), dug up the wig in a formal exhumation ceremony, with most of the guests of the original burial in attendance, so that it could be put on display. You can still go see it should you be so inclined.

Didn't I already see the Will plot in Empire?

Ah, a subject I'm known to dedicate too much time to! Not really the same plot, IMO, in that Jamal on Empire wasn't forced into coming out by paparazzi exposure, and had never been in the closet to anyone who knew him personally, or who he worked with, not even his deeply, ridiculously homophobic dad. He just wanted to put the record straight for everyone else, and never really cared about whether or not it would have career implications.

But I'm glad to see that we're witnessing yet another example of the fact that the days of coming out storylines are numbered. It makes sense that in Nashville-land, this still would be an issue, yet I'm convinced these are some of the last ones that we'll see. They're rapidly becoming as absurd as a "coming out as lefthanded" storyline would be. I thought it was interesting that the creators of How to Get Away with Murder made it a point that their token gay character, Connor, never came out, to anyone, including his own family. Everyone he meets always just knows (except Asher, because it must be established he's the doofus, so he needs to be told), and nobody cares. It's not realistic, but still refreshing, and hopefully the way things are going.

And with all that said, I still couldn't help but get all emotional and feely about entirely fictional Will finally standing up for who he is, and the entirely fictional person who he loves, in a completely unrealistic way. It was pure soapy goodness.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 3

This show hasn't had an unpredictable moment for years, until tonight.

--Those headlights behind Avery didn't smash into him.  (Thanks.)

--Luke didn't show support by opening with the newly out 'n proud guy.  (Pity.)

--Teddy scraped up some ethics.  (Really?)

--Will!  You did it!  And you didn't even get kicked in the teeth with a friend-zoning.  (YAY!!!!)

• Love 7
(edited)

I think the thing with Layla bothers me the most. Like...holy hell. Let the girl have some power. I know she's young, and it can take a long time to get your shit together, but what is the point of her finding out what Jeff has been doing if she just goes back to him? This is a story. You need to move it forward, especially in your finale. It's the same with Rayna/Deacon. They need to keep going, not fall back. Their relationship is being portrayed right now as so solid and committed, it will be totally unrealistic to break them up again. That's not moving forward.

At least Will did, but he's the only one.

In other news, yeah, how does Juliette sign with Luke while she has a contract with Rayna? Doesn't Luke have lawyers??

And those OR scenes were so bizarre. They seemed dream-like or trippy, not real. What was that about?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

But I'm glad to see that we're witnessing yet another example of the fact that the days of coming out storylines are numbered. It makes sense that in Nashville-land, this still would be an issue, yet I'm convinced these are some of the last ones that we'll see.

And with all that said, I still couldn't help but get all emotional and feely about entirely fictional Will finally standing up for who he is, and the entirely fictional person who he loves, in a completely unrealistic way. It was pure soapy goodness.

This made me so happy.  Thank you.

Gosh, this episode was pretty easy to predict. Totally agree about Teddy, Layla, et al. Beverly will kick the can, Deacon will discover the $1 million payment Rayna made to her, then D will blame Rayna for his sister's death instead of his own, jeopardizing his recovery (because we know he has to get the liver or he'd die).

Wish we'd seen the  Exs for longer, probably my favorite part of the season, along with the new baby.

(edited)

I was wondering why Beverly’s wig is so bad, then I remembered that she’s Scarlett’s mom, so I guess it’s genetic.

Layla is so stupid, I want her dead, and isn't Jeff supposed to be gone? I thought Layla would at least kill him, but no, she forgives him. Stupid, stupid, moron.

Show, please get your act together, you have all summer to get better plots, No more Layla/Jeff, Will & his gayness, Deacon & his drunk liver, anything with Gunnar, anything with Teddy & Juliette the psycho. How about you come up with stories about something like, I don't know, maybe country music? that would be a nice change.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

Medical nitpick -- usually, there is some prescription calming before surgery, but they dragged Deacon into that operating room like he had just consumed ten Red Bulls.  Just. Keep. Your. Head. Still. So. We. Can. Knock. You. Out. 

And I agree the doctor would not go to Rayna with bad news about Beverly, since her next of kin was right there -- well, out on the hospital roof top lounge, duetting. 

Did anyone notice the doctor saying at one point, very calmly, "oh, look we nicked an artery."  That could mean trouble for the liver, not the patients -- and I wonder if the writers have even decided Who Will Live and Who Will Die? 

• Love 2
I think Juliette has something bigger than PPD, but I'm not sure what the name of it is. I hope the show addresses that more than PPD is going on with her.

The name is postpartum psychosis. Trying to harm yourself or the baby is more than PPD, where you may just have thoughts about it. Paranoia is also a sign of postpartum psychosis. Here's a Mayo Cline article on it: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-depression/basics/symptoms/con-20029130

I have mostly sympathy for Juliette. (I'm postpartum myself so keeping an eye out for signs of PPD or postpartum psychosis or postpartum anxiety/OCD.) Her body and hormones are doing messed up stuff to her. But I also feel frustration that she won't listen and get help. She needs help. And I don't know who she will listen to about it if not Avery. This show likes to have break downs on stage, though, so I'm guessing that's where this will end up.

• Love 5

I think the thing with Layla bothers me the most. Like...holy hell. Let the girl have some power. I know she's young, and it can take a long time to get your shit together, but what is the point of her finding out what Jeff has been doing if she just goes back to him? This is a story. You need to move it forward, especially in your finale. It's the same with Rayna/Deacon. They need to keep going, not fall back. Their relationship is being portrayed right now as so solid and committed, it will be totally unrealistic to break them up again. That's not moving forward.

How could I forget Layla in my long post on how badly written tonight's show was? I co-sign everything you wrote, but what about this new fat-shaming subplot? Rail thin Layla! Not post-baby Juliette, but Layla! Whatever made them think of picking her weight as tabloid fodder? How 'bout her partying, or something like that?

• Love 3

Gosh, this episode was pretty easy to predict. Totally agree about Teddy, Layla, et al. Beverly will kick the can, Deacon will discover the $1 million payment Rayna made to her, then D will blame Rayna for his sister's death instead of his own, jeopardizing his recovery (because we know he has to get the liver or he'd die).

Wish we'd seen the  Exs for longer, probably my favorite part of the season, along with the new baby.

If I remember correctly, Raina told Deacon about the $1 million check, and that Beverly returned it ripped up.

What the hell was Scarlet wearing in her first couple of scenes?

• Love 5

I don't know what was going on with Avery's hair this week, but it looked like he needed a haircut. Does he now have Coach Taylor's hair which reflects his every mood? I give Joshua Jackson credit for doing realistic rocking and walking with what was clearly a doll.

What kind of contract does Juliette have with Highway 65 that she can just leave and sign with Luke's label without informing Rayna? I'm surprised that Juliette agreed to be the opening act for Luke. Remember what a hissyfit she had over co-headlining with Rayna?

While I totally understand that creativity strikes at all hours, Scarlett needs to learn that if it comes late at night then she needs to get her ass out of bed and go write in another room so she doesn't wake up her boyfriend. That's just common courtesy!

FYI Dr. Boyfriend, asking to talk to Rayna privately and then having her walk five feet away isn't exactly having a private conversation. You realize that the kids CAN STILL HEAR YOU, right? But I totally cracked up that this is what prevented everyone in the room from seeing Teddy hauled away in handcuffs on tv.

Once again, Scarlett and Gunnar make beautiful music together. I don't like all this back and forth they are doing with their relationship, but I just want them to have a reason to sing together every week. Is that so much to ask for?

Jeff is making it even more obvious this week what a controlling manipulative jerk he's being to Layla. She has no internet access, no phone, no contact with anyone, and he's telling her to lose weight. This is classic abusive behavior. He is isolating her and making her feel insecure while taking total control of her life. And his explanation about how he couldn't bare to lose her? STFU and have a seat, Jeff.

I'm glad that someone bothered to read the contract that Layla signed. Heh, almost the entire thing was marked up in red. I am really glad that Bucky saw how terrible it was and that he tried to get in touch with her and then told Rayna. It's about time someone actually had her best interest at heart since Jeff obviously doesn't.

Beverly can also STFU. When she got snotty with Rayna and said that RAYNA put her in a bad position by giving her that check because it would make her look like a bitch either way, I just rolled my eyes. No, Beverly, you are the one who made yourself look like a bitch by refusing to help your brother the first time around.

Kevin is awesome. I really love that despite the fact that he has feelings for Will, he never tried to pressure Will into coming out, which I really appreciate. I'm glad that his gentle supportive love has helped Will become more comfortable with himself.

I was trying to understand the timeline. Juliette threw a snowglobe in the morning, met with Luke Wheeler later in the day, opened for Luke Wheeler the same night, and then strolled into the house with a new snowglobe.

I was so distracted by those shiny pantyhose that Juliette was wearing during her (overly long) song.

I was distracted by that blue eyeshadow. Yowza.
  • Love 6

She'll continue to spiral, get help, flashback to the Hell that was her childhood and we'll feel for her again. I really surprised of the universal hatred of her all around. I see someone who was already a mess and now has hormonal postpartum stuff on top of that. I feel so badly for her.

It's actually because I love her character so much that I refuse to watch her tear life up this way. She is my favorite part of the show, but from the very beginning of the series, the girl just couldn't catch a break. I don't need her to be Mary Sue, but can she have some happiness in some aspect of her life for more than 30 minutes?

Favorite moments in an otherwise WTF finale:

Deacon looked SO DAMN GOOD in the opening shot before the dream went crazy. 

I cheered for Will when he came out. Was so proud. Thank you, show. It was a long time coming.

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed Juliette's performance so much. I didn't think I would like the song when I previewed it on iTunes.

I did get emotional watching the panic on Avery's face after he told Juliette to get out. Nicely done, JJ.

Everything else was....I couldn't even concentrate on Teddy's little drama or Gunnar and Scarlett's song because I was so flummoxed by the rest. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not convinced that horrible Beverly will die, but making the liver not viable will kill Deacon, since he is no longer eligible for the transplant list, so not sure what the "bad news" could be. Does a doctor actually say "I have some bad news?" Way to make someone have a heart stopping moment. Geez.

I'm not sure if the writers are deliberately making Rayna bad at running a label, or if its just bad writing. Maybe she is distracted by Deacon, I get that, but really, she has never been seen as incompetent before, so WTH? Just take Juliette's album and say thank you very much, don't dismiss her. Juliette acting like a crazy person, so placate her, not poke the bear!

The ONLY good thing about Scarlet and Gunnar getting back together is that Kiley will hopefully be gone. (and the music)

Not sure where they are taking the Teddy story, but then I never have...

Not sure what to think about Luke. On one hand he seemed OK with Will, but then shut him out of the concert. Also, seems to be on board with Jeff, which, really?? The guy is a total snake. He is abusing Layla (mental abuse is still abuse), and she doesn't seem to want out.

I hate this story line, along with the mental breakdown of Juliette. Can't we just have a story about the country music business without so much drama? I get SOME drama to keep it interesting, but they must have a "Wheel 'O Plot Devices" in the writers room that they spin for every script.  Cancer, couples together/torn apart, Gay man in the closet, Corruption, evil manipulating manager, Cancelled Weddings, Death, Unrequited Love, Mental Breakdowns, Shooting ex-spouses, Kid that may or May Not be Mine, have I missed anything?

• Love 5

I'm so pleased with Will's coming out. It came much faster and sudden than anticipated but I think that's the case for a lot coming-outs. Chris Carmack did a phenomenal job the whole ep over. And I loved how what pushed him over the edge was Kevin leaving the room and turning his back on him. The look he gave his father and the little "thank you" to the press was perfection.

They also nicely downplayed the scene at the porch. It's mainly about Will's coming to terms with who he is, not so much about about their relationship. And yet you could still see that they are moving forward as a couple. Now I can lean back and hope for some nice Will/Kevin development in the future. At least for 1 or two episodes. Eh.

Avery's a tad over the top. One more image of him clutching the baby and/or crying and I'm going to ffw all his scenes. Same with Juliette. I really really love her but the writers are just too one-dimensional with her. They could do a much better job at portraying PPD, I'm sorry they're merely using it to create drama.

Speaking of one-dimensional, I just love to hate Jeff. You can always count on him for being an asshole. Layla deserves everything she gets for being too stupid to leave him. No sympathy for her. At this point, I'm openly rooting for Jeff.

• Love 2

I'm not going to count on Beverly dying. I am afraid she'll have some complication and be an invalid and make everyone even more miserable.

I think it's likely the reverse, because the Nashville writers are about as subtle as a stroke. Which is exactly the type of thing I would guess happened to Deacon, who'll have to recover from that next season AND it gives us the ability to let the obnoxious Bev -- who might as well grow a mustache that she can twirl -- move to town.

I can't even with Juliette's bug eyes all over the place. I just can't even.

• Love 5

How could I forget Layla in my long post on how badly written tonight's show was? I co-sign everything you wrote, but what about this new fat-shaming subplot? Rail thin Layla! Not post-baby Juliette, but Layla! Whatever made them think of picking her weight as tabloid fodder? How 'bout her partying, or something like that?

Did I miss something when she was reading about herself online? (My mind wanders when Rayna and Deacon aren't on, so it totally could have happened!) But I thought Jeff made up that fat thing as a way to keep Layla under his control. That's why he didn't want her online or on the phone, so she wouldn't learn the truth.

• Love 4
(edited)

They just did too much in this episode.

I can give some license but writing an album in two days is ridiculous. And Juliette has a contract with Highway 65. Did everyone just forget that? She can't just go sign with someone else. Made that part of the story stupid. They could have still done the post partum without making it incredulous.

Will finally admitting he is gay publicly deserved more after how much time they spent on it the last two seasons. 

Scarlett and Gunnar? Ugh. Could have avoided that this episode and saved for next season. Same with Teddy getting arrested. 

Also, Scarlett is just awful cheating on her boyfriend like that. 

Edited by scribe95
  • Love 3

Did I miss something when she was reading about herself online? (My mind wanders when Rayna and Deacon aren't on, so it totally could have happened!) But I thought Jeff made up that fat thing as a way to keep Layla under his control. That's why he didn't want her online or on the phone, so she wouldn't learn the truth.

Layla was shown looking at stuff about herself online.  That is when she saw the tabloid picture of Jeff holding her phone and realized what he had done.  

Also, Scarlett is just awful cheating on her boyfriend like that. 

I thought the scene stopped just short of them actually kissing?  They both leaned in for the kiss and were inches apart, but I don't think they kissed, or did I turn away from the screen and miss something?

• Love 1

I thought the scene stopped just short of them actually kissing?  They both leaned in for the kiss and were inches apart, but I don't think they kissed, or did I turn away from the screen and miss something?

No, they didn't kiss.  And really, Scarlett's big problem was getting involved with her uncle's doctor in the first place.  Both she and the doctor should have nipped that in the bud at the very start because it's almost impossible to break up with the dude who will be in charge of saving a family member.  Even with assurances that the doctor bf will remain professional, there would still be the worry of "if i break up with him, will he knick a goddamned artery during the transplant"

• Love 1

Since the show has trouble following through with storylines, I  just can't imagine where they will go with Will's coming out story.  I like Will. He's my favorite singer on the show, but I can't imagine where they will take his career.  Regardless, of how much I would like to see Will be successful, accepted by Nashville and selling out tours, it's not realistic and I don't see how the show will overcome that. It's unfortunate.  Unless, this character is leaving the show, I think they may have painted themselves into a corner.  They tend to go for the dramatic scenes, with little regard for followup.

Please, no more Scarlet and Avery.  It's cruel.  Put it to rest.  They are not like Rayna an Deacon and never will be.  

If we can't get rid of Beverly in this storyline, then I give up.  I really hope she gets sent somewhere.  Of course, if she dies, we'll get to see the misery and guilt ruin the good times.  What a bummer.

The only option I see for Avery is to divorce Juliet and find a wife who can stay at home with the baby.  The baby really limits the characters.  The writers should have realized this before committing.  

I'm so glad that Teddy did the right thing.  It looks bleak, but I think he will slither out of the situation.  He has 9 lives. lol  

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes! That was the other big distraction. JJ's acting was even more impressive as he tried desperately to protect what was probably a Cabbage Patch Doll.

Or a loaf of bread.

And I think Luke was punishing Will for going rogue in the press conference. He had told Will in the first place, "whatever this is, we need to get out in front of it." Luke does not like being caught off guard, and he would have wanted an army of publicists figuring out the best way to present Will to the country audience.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1
(edited)

My prediction is that Luke will actually come around and support Will, continuing his surprising evolution into a decent human being (and I will have to continue to struggle with calling Will Chase "Luke" instead of Chris Carmack). Beverly will probably live and move into Casa Claybourne-Jaymes and try to worm herself into Rayna's daughters' lives, because that scene with Rayna in the background watching Beverly with her family chilled me. And, finally, Layla will chop off Jeff's head with a rusty battleax, fill his mouth with garlic, and set his oily aging creepster corpse on fire.

Okay, there might be some wishful thinking in that last one somewhere.

And I agree that Juliette can't just jump ship to Luke's label without legal consequences -- and probably Other Bucky (hee -- known to his therapist as "Glenn") has recourse, too. Poor Glenn!

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7

I'm kind of done with the wash-rinse-repeat of Juliette doing some nasty, shady shit and then realizing what she's done and being "BOO HOO....I'm so sorry!  Don't you understand?  I'm damaged!" about it.

What she's done, in my book, is unforgivable.  Although almost injuring her daughter was definitely the worst part, going to Jeff after working so hard to get Avery back after she cheated on him?  Please.  These writers need to leave her as redeemed or just make her a hateful bitch.  One or the other.  I'm tired of being yanked back and forth.

And for the record, I can't stand her now.  Which makes me sad because Jonathan Jackson is one of my favorite actors ever and now I just wanna fast forward through scenes with him because they include her.

• Love 7
(edited)

Since the show has trouble following through with storylines, I  just can't imagine where they will go with Will's coming out story.  I like Will. He's my favorite singer on the show, but I can't imagine where they will take his career.  Regardless, of how much I would like to see Will be successful, accepted by Nashville and selling out tours, it's not realistic and I don't see how the show will overcome that. It's unfortunate.  Unless, this character is leaving the show, I think they may have painted themselves into a corner.  They tend to go for the dramatic scenes, with little regard for followup.

Yes, they've put themselves into the situation of dealing with something that has never happened in reality. Instead of repeating myself, let me quote something from the Washington Post, about the season 2 finale, IOW, an article that was published about the same topic almost exactly one year ago (May 15, 2014). I've bolded a sentence I'd like to have come up with myself:

Keep in mind the “Nashville” world is set in one where, just last year, radio stations were extremely wary about playing Kacey Musgraves’s song “Follow Your Arrow,” which includes the lyrics: “Make lots of noise/kiss lots of boys/or kiss lots of girls if that’s something you’re into.” (“This is not only pushing the envelope, it’s where the envelope gets mailed to,” one programming consultant told Billboard.)

Meanwhile, in a recent interview with the Post, Carmack talked about the difficulty of people in real life asking him questions as if he really knows how a country artist could come out of the closet without alienating a traditional country music audience.”That’s way beyond my scope of understanding,” he explained.

But then, since that article was published, there is something that has happened in reality. At least, I think most people interested enough in Nashville as in the TV show to comment on it online, have at least some interest in Nashville as in the music as well. At the very least, nobody can watch this show if they have a strong aversion to the musical genre. And from what I can see on various websites, at least the fictional Will hasn't inspired any negative reactions, rather the contrary. (I'm excluding the inevitable sad trolls who only seem to live in Youtube comments sections.) Even people who don't care about this particular storyline have a general "good for him, now let's move on" response. There's no "oh noes, I can't bear the thought of a gay dude singing a song and playing the guitar while wearing a Stetson, only straight dudes can do that" response out there, that I can see.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Didn't I already see the Will plot in Empire?

Don't watch Empire, but they've had Will in the closet since Season 1 and they have done a reasonable job at consistently showing it as something he has been struggling with.

Oh, and Jeff continues to be something like the human personification of that annoying possum rummaging through your garbage bin. Layla needs to kick him to the curb.

Layla = Garbage Bin?

I know that is not what you were saying, but she's turning herself into one.

I cheered for Will when he came out. Was so proud. Thank you, show. It was a long time coming.

How many eps will Will and Kevin have before the writers turn on the drama?  Juliette and Avery got 2?  Maybe 3?

My favorite tv couples (and this from a non-shipper) are Drew & Rick on Night Shift and Will & Kevin.

I'm not sure if the writers are deliberately making Rayna bad at running a label, or if its just bad writing. Maybe she is distracted by Deacon, I get that, but really, she has never been seen as incompetent before, so WTH? Just take Juliette's album and say thank you very much, don't dismiss her. Juliette acting like a crazy person, so placate her, not poke the bear!

...SNIP...

I hate this story line, along with the mental breakdown of Juliette. Can't we just have a story about the country music business without so much drama? I get SOME drama to keep it interesting, but they must have a "Wheel 'O Plot Devices" in the writers room that they spin for every script.  Cancer, couples together/torn apart, Gay man in the closet, Corruption, evil manipulating manager, Cancelled Weddings, Death, Unrequited Love, Mental Breakdowns, Shooting ex-spouses, Kid that may or May Not be Mine, have I missed anything?

I think bad writing again.  We're supposed to believe that a newly formed record label can basically run itself when Rayna is clearly preoccuppied with other matters?  Bucky isn't enough to cover the balance of an executive team's role.

Addiction, child abuse/neglect (Scarlett, but do Layla and Jeff qualify for this?), emotional/psychological abuse, drug abuse (whatever you call it when Jeff gave Layla the pills at the pool party), infidelity by your gay husband,  Who's your Baby Daddy (Juliette and Kylie), rape, teenagers skipping school and getting nekkid, ...I'm sure I missed some.

She'll continue to spiral, get help, flashback to the Hell that was her childhood and we'll feel for her again. I really surprised of the universal hatred of her all around. I see someone who was already a mess and now has hormonal postpartum stuff on top of that. I feel so badly for her.

I think it is universal hatred of the bad writing.  They are very fortunate to have some strong cast members that can make the audience care about their cartoonish characters.  Because even in Season 1 when there was very little to like about Juliette, HP managed to weave in both the charisma and some sympathy for this very damaged person.  In the hands of a lesser actor, Juliette would be completely distasteful.  With HP, I hate a lot of the things she does, but am always rooting for her to do better.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm not sure the show is aware of how creepy Jeff seems right now. He's completely isolated Layla emotionally and financially. He's driven away anyone who might care about her. He's sabotaged her career just so he could take credit for saving it. He's taken complete control of her business. He's one slap away from being Ike Turner.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 12

I'm not sure the show is aware of how creepy Jeff seems right now. He's completely isolated Layla emotionally and financially. He's driven away anyone who might care about her. He's sabotaged her career just so he could take credit for saving it. He's taken complete control of her career. He's one slap away from being Ike Turner.

The writers don't have any idea how it looks...I think they are going for a sort of Blair and Chuck vibe.  The problem is that the two actors don't have any chemistry together, the HUGE age difference, Layla's prior suicidal tendencies, the fact that Jeff essentially left her to die a season ago, and the fact that she is completely dependent on him.  This is literally an abusive relationship...not love/hate...not two manipulative people with equal power battling it out, but an actual abusive relationship...without the hitting...YET.  Because its always possible that is where things could go.  In addition, I don't see any strong feelings of love coming from either of them-so what are we supposed to believe is keeping them together? 

• Love 7

I'm not sure the show is aware of how creepy Jeff seems right now. He's completely isolated Layla emotionally and financially. He's driven away anyone who might care about her. He's sabotaged her career just so he could take credit for saving it. He's taken complete control of her business. He's one slap away from being Ike Turner.

Good one.

I kept thinking of Ronnie Bennett/Phil Spektor especially with Layla now being a prisoner inside his huge mansion (where she also almost died!). They screwed up this storyline big time.

It's interesting that the actors apparently seem the storyline different from the writers. I think Hudson and Peebles both have referred to their plot with describtions of tragic/desperate love while the writers emphasized the svengali storyline.

"He completely isolated her financially" - that is one of the thousands of inconsistencies of their storywriting. Who is financing Layla? Same thing with having Jeff supposedly down on his luck. There is no way that such a powerful guy would have come to such a stop.

I'm also not sure if they modeled it after Alanis Morissette. I mean, they even mentioned her in connection to Layla.

Edit: sorry for the double post. I wanted to quote and messed up.

On the contrary, I think the writers are well aware of how monstrous the relationship between Jeff and Layla is. It would be impossible not to know how the story is playing -- in fact, I'm sure that what we're seeing is precisely as disturbing as the writers, the director(s) and the performers intend.

• Love 4
(edited)

My only comment on the finale...which I am sure has been said by everyone at some point is this show is SO poorly written.  The characters are so inconsistent and plots are dropped all of the place.

One of the biggest dropped plots in H65.  Rayna has three artists (or did have Sadie, Layla, Juliette).  Jeff is doing everything for Layla.  Juliette had to leave the label to get representation and Sadie left.  What is going on over there, that they cannot handle three people.  Why didn't Bucky go to see Layla when there were all these issues instead of just calling.  I don't know if Bucky is supposed to look incompetent or what.

Lame cliffhanger...Deacon isn't dying and none of us care about Beverly.

Luke and Jeff are friends?  Since when?  Why is Luke so hurt after her fired Jeff that Jeff didn't tell him Will is gay?  This makes NO sense.

Why would Juliette go straight to Jeff instead of going directly to Luke? 

On the contrary, I think the writers are well aware of how monstrous the relationship between Jeff and Layla is. It would be impossible not to know how the story is playing -- in fact, I'm sure that what we're seeing is precisely as disturbing as the writers, the director(s) and the performers intend.

They don't.  I just read an interview regarding it.  They do admit there is a weird dynamic but that is about it.  They don't refer to it as abusive at all. They also state that both characters need each other and that isn't true either

Edited by dmc
  • Love 4

I think bad writing again.  We're supposed to believe that a newly formed record label can basically run itself when Rayna is clearly preoccuppied with other matters?  

Yet with Luke's label we see him actually doing things and running things for his artists. Where as Rayna's label is so incompetent they don't do anything for their artists, they're all running around trying to get tours and do things themselves compared to Luke who had Will opening for him and setting up press conferences, knowing that the tabloid story was running.

Rayna's clueless to everything her artists are doing. Layla's getting her own tours, Juliette is staging roof top concerts by herself. Now on top of that, the only reason Rayna's not going to lose the label to the government right now is because of Teddy. Rayna doesn't even know where the funds for Hiway65 came from!

• Love 1

I wouldn't be so sure.  The writers could very well be the 50 Shades/Twilight lovers who think that abusive relationships are ok if the abuser claims they are doing it for love or fear that the loved one will leave.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I think they know too. It's clearly being done very much on purpose. What I think they don't realize is that every time they introduce yet ANOTHER extreme situation into this narrative, they diminish its and the larger story's importance. Any one or two of the situations we've been given on this show (secret babies, alcoholism, car crashes, comas, liver cancers, psychosis, severely abusive parents, embezzling, murder, pork blood, spousal abuse, someone way back in the closet, etc.) would be enough to sustain a narrative. But by including one after another after another, they're never really able to give the stories the attention they deserve. So the plot feels slapped together and lacks believability for the audience. The only extreme stories that feel real to me are Deacon's alcoholism and the Maddie secret, and it's because those built slowly over the entire first season, laying a solid foundation and really getting me to invest emotionally in the characters involved.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

My only comment on the finale...which I am sure has been said by everyone at some point is this show is SO poorly written.  The characters are so inconsistent and plots are dropped all of the place.

One of the biggest dropped plots in H65.  Rayna has three artists (or did have Sadie, Layla, Juliette).  Jeff is doing everything for Layla.  Juliette had to leave the label to get representation and Sadie left.  What is going on over there, that they cannot handle three people.  Why didn't Bucky go to see Layla when there were all these issues instead of just calling.  I don't know if Bucky is supposed to look incompetent or what.

They don't.  I just read an interview regarding it.  They do admit there is a weird dynamic but that is about it.  They don't refer to it as abusive at all. They also state that both characters need each other and that isn't true either.

It's all just so laughable. Those masters of Juliette's album? They belong to H65. Juliette is under contract, she can't just up and leave. By all accounts, Layla would have signed a contract with Jeff, but the one she has signed is void, I'm pretty sure such a contract would be illegal by now. So Layla puts two and two together and seems to have an entire day and just waits for Jeff to come back instead of....calling Bucky? Not to mention Jeff just letting the phone lie around on his desk.

They didn't state explicitly how abusive the storyline is or any of the inconsistencies. Layla is basically Sadie now albeit with a much more powerful abuser and they did a good job with handling Sadie's abuse somewhat responsibly, but they stated that it was all about the Svengali type relationships that have been played out in reality by many female musicians and powerful men in the music industry and while they talked about them needing each other they did NOT label it as a love story or love/hate relationship.

In contrast, Oliver Hudson painted it as a tragic love story of two people desperate in love with each other which is not what we are watching.

• Love 3

Rayna's clueless to everything her artists are doing. Layla's getting her own tours, Juliette is staging roof top concerts by herself. Now on top of that, the only reason Rayna's not going to lose the label to the government right now is because of Teddy. Rayna doesn't even know where the funds for Hiway65 came from!

Unless I'm missing something, the funds for H65 came from Rayna herself. She mortgaged her house, sold some stocks, got a few million from Tandy and used everything she had made from her tour with Juliette. H65 should be fine. 

I don't even like Layla but I don't want to see anyone go through what she's going through. I feel incredibly sorry for her. She has no one, no support system, no friends, no family. No one but Jeff. It's disgusting. If the writers don't have a clue that this is pure and utter foolishness, they aren't paying attention to how it's being perceived. I know some folks were all for it, but that relationship has been toxic, abusive and horrible from day one. The fact that it's not the worst thing going on in Nashville is a trifling shame.

Over the break, I suggest the writers get back to the basics of what Nashville should be about. Unless they intentionally plan on writing this as their final season. 

• Love 3

It's all just so laughable. Those masters of Juliette's album? They belong to H65. Juliette is under contract, she can't just up and leave. By all accounts, Layla would have signed a contract with Jeff, but the one she has signed is void, I'm pretty sure such a contract would be illegal by now. So Layla puts two and two together and seems to have an entire day and just waits for Jeff to come back instead of....calling Bucky? Not to mention Jeff just letting the phone lie around on his desk.

They didn't state explicitly how abusive the storyline is or any of the inconsistencies. Layla is basically Sadie now albeit with a much more powerful abuser and they did a good job with handling Sadie's abuse somewhat responsibly, but they stated that it was all about the Svengali type relationships that have been played out in reality by many female musicians and powerful men in the music industry and while they talked about them needing each other they did NOT label it as a love story or love/hate relationship.

In contrast, Oliver Hudson painted it as a tragic love story of two people desperate in love with each other which is not what we are watching.

Yes, they don't view as abusive they view it as passionate love story between two flawed people.  However that is not the way it is coming across on camera.  Also what about Layla's lifetime contract???? I am sorry but does that even exist??? I am thinking it doesn't. 

If Sadie/Layla comparisons means that Layla can shoot Jeff dead next season, I'm all for it. It's hard to know just what the writers are thinking with their storylines. Even with interviews, they'll sometimes play dumb so as not to show their hand.

I think I read an interview where they mentioned Will having to deal with the consequences of coming out next season. I think they way they've painted the environment to be fairly true to life (while having no issues with it personally, Luke more or less admitted in front of Jeff that he wouldn't have signed Will if he had known in advance that he was gay. Business is business.) so I wouldn't be surprised to see an unemployed Will next season. But this isn't necessarily the end of his story. No one said Nashville is only about the successful country stars. I think there is a lot of dramatic potential in seeing Will deal with having all these doors close on him and struggling with just being Kevin's househusband.

• Love 3

If Sadie/Layla comparisons means that Layla can shoot Jeff dead next season, I'm all for it. It's hard to know just what the writers are thinking with their storylines. Even with interviews, they'll sometimes play dumb so as not to show their hand.

I think I read an interview where they mentioned Will having to deal with the consequences of coming out next season. I think they way they've painted the environment to be fairly true to life (while having no issues with it personally, Luke more or less admitted in front of Jeff that he wouldn't have signed Will if he had known in advance that he was gay. Business is business.) so I wouldn't be surprised to see an unemployed Will next season. But this isn't necessarily the end of his story. No one said Nashville is only about the successful country stars. I think there is a lot of dramatic potential in seeing Will deal with having all these doors close on him and struggling with just being Kevin's househusband.

Well I will give Will one thing...he has been smart enough to stay clear of H65. 

• Love 4

Yes, they don't view as abusive they view it as passionate love story between two flawed people.  However that is not the way it is coming across on camera.  Also what about Layla's lifetime contract???? I am sorry but does that even exist??? I am thinking it doesn't. 

I can't find them right now but in the interviews I read they basically managed to do both: the writers denied the textbook abuse they are ending up glorifying as a love story and stated that it isn't meant as a love story but that they are portraying Svengali scenarios that have happened in the industry. How they manage to state that without noticing how problematic their storyline turned out in contrast to Sadie's is beyond me.

I actually tried to research that after the episode which proved difficult because I'm neither a native speaker of English nor do I have a background in law but it seems that contracts in perpetuity only exist in very rare circumstances and not between individuals. Bruce Springsteen did sign a similar contract in the 1970s and has fought it for years so I assume those kinds of contracts are not really feasible in 2015 anymore. The same way you can sign a pre-nup for all kind of weird things but it's not actually legally binding.

(edited)

Unless I'm missing something, the funds for H65 came from Rayna herself. She mortgaged her house, sold some stocks, got a few million from Tandy and used everything she had made from her tour with Juliette. H65 should be fine.

A few million from Tandy is a lot, based on the scene with Teddy the reason he refused to help is beyond Tandy but because of what it would do to Rayna's label. Having the label's funds be tied up in federal case could have the company's assets frozen and the entire label could collapse and close until the federal case is completed. 

It's all just so laughable. Those masters of Juliette's album? They belong to H65. Juliette is under contract, she can't just up and leave.

Juliette also said she had creative control, so may be in her contract she can up and leave if she wants considering how HiWay 65 is operated. Luke can't legally sign Juliette when she's bound to someone else. She's got to have an out.

Edited by Artsda

I can't find them right now but in the interviews I read they basically managed to do both: the writers denied the textbook abuse they are ending up glorifying as a love story and stated that it isn't meant as a love story but that they are portraying Svengali scenarios that have happened in the industry. How they manage to state that without noticing how problematic their storyline turned out in contrast to Sadie's is beyond me.

I actually tried to research that after the episode which proved difficult because I'm neither a native speaker of English nor do I have a background in law but it seems that contracts in perpetuity only exist in very rare circumstances and not between individuals. Bruce Springsteen did sign a similar contract in the 1970s and has fought it for years so I assume those kinds of contracts are not really feasible in 2015 anymore. The same way you can sign a pre-nup for all kind of weird things but it's not actually legally binding.

I haven't seen those interviews but I completely believe you.  The other thing I take issue with is the Svengali scenarios.  I agree they exist but I don't view this relationship as one.  It's not like Jeff discovered Layla singing in a dimly lit bar and has nurtured her talent to stardom.  It's the opposite, he stifled her career at Edgehill and now he continues to.  He illegally released her single in itunes (big deal) and got her an interview with a no-name blogger.  Quite frankly Layla could have done the same for herself with a tumblr account.  Jeff was a CEO, are we really supposed to believe he doesn't have better connections? 

I haven't researched the contract thing either but it sounds ludicrous and unnecessary for the plot because a 7 year contract would be just as horrible for someone starting out. 

• Love 2

A few million from Tandy is a lot, based on the scene with Teddy the reason he refused to help is beyond Tandy but because of what it would do to Rayna's label. Having the label's funds be tied up in federal case could have the company's assets frozen and the entire label could collapse and close until the federal case is completed. 

Artsda, I didn't even think about that. I was thinking about Teddy's connection to Rayna. I zone out on his scenes, so admittedly, I didn't pay that much attention to the details. 

What I forgot: also I mean, seriously, Jeff has power of attorney now over Lalya? Seriously?!? That, I know, is not legal or so wikipedia tells me.

What also bugs me: none of this fits with Layla's previous storyline. There is no way he could ever isolate this way from social media since that is what she grew up with and used it to make it on the singing competition.

• Love 3

What I forgot: also I mean, seriously, Jeff has power of attorney now over Lalya? Seriously?!? That, I know, is not legal or so wikipedia tells me.

What also bugs me: none of this fits with Layla's previous storyline. There is no way he could ever isolate this way from social media since that is what she grew up with and used it to make it on the singing competition.

Also why hasn't Rayna stepped in???  What is she doing?

The name is postpartum psychosis. Trying to harm yourself or the baby is more than PPD, where you may just have thoughts about it. Paranoia is also a sign of postpartum psychosis. Here's a Mayo Cline article on it: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-depression/basics/symptoms/con-20029130

I have mostly sympathy for Juliette. (I'm postpartum myself so keeping an eye out for signs of PPD or postpartum psychosis or postpartum anxiety/OCD.) Her body and hormones are doing messed up stuff to her. But I also feel frustration that she won't listen and get help. She needs help. And I don't know who she will listen to about it if not Avery. This show likes to have break downs on stage, though, so I'm guessing that's where this will end up.

I was wondering if PPD is this extreme?  I thought of it like maybe you cry a lot or you just feel down.  I know the extreme cases where someone hurts their baby is rare.  

(edited)

Yike! Even if he is hot, I wouldn't be dating Mr. Hudson. Jeff is totally creepy and Layla going back to him really disturbed me last night. Though I think it works from a story perspective. It's not something we've really seen on Nashville. 

In interviews I keep seeing them referred to as like "George and Martha" but I can't figure out who that is...did George Washington keep his wife locked up in Mt. Vernon????

Edited by Clemgo3165
  • Love 1
(edited)

I haven't seen those interviews but I completely believe you.  The other thing I take issue with is the Svengali scenarios.  I agree they exist but I don't view this relationship as one.  It's not like Jeff discovered Layla singing in a dimly lit bar and has nurtured her talent to stardom.  It's the opposite, he stifled her career at Edgehill and now he continues to.  He illegally released her single in itunes (big deal) and got her an interview with a no-name blogger.  Quite frankly Layla could have done the same for herself with a tumblr account.  Jeff was a CEO, are we really supposed to believe he doesn't have better connections? 

I haven't researched the contract thing either but it sounds ludicrous and unnecessary for the plot because a 7 year contract would be just as horrible for someone starting out. 

I completely agree.

The problem is that they started out that relationship very differently from where they are now. Not to mention Layla's character but she isn't the only one with a character transplant on this show.

They started it as a way to humanize Jeff from the completely one-dimensional record exec villain with an actual connection between the two. Those stories are horrible, look up Ronnie Spektor on wikipedia and your blood will freeze. That actually  happened. They could have gone for that storyline since it's very common in the history of the music business, but they didn't start the story that way and then took a detour and in bringing their two plots together they kind of ended up with 50 Shades of Gray?!

I don't think they know what they are doing but then again, it irks me that they even mentioned Alanis Morissette by name in connection to Layla's character, have her physically resemble her style, have her character trajectory almost copy her story....It's like an almost biopic down to the triggered body disorder forced on Layla.

Edited by thaliasghost