Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: When Paradise Is Home

I'm having a distinct déjà vu feeling with the first episode...seems like I've seen most of the elements somewhere before (and, yes, I know how hard originality is these days).  There seems to be some jumps (or I fell asleep again).  For example, Burke leaves a message for his wife telling her to call the hotel, but I don't recall him checking into the hotel (only being tossed out of it), and he doesn't recognize the very distinctive voice of the nurse when he supposedly calls his office?  Not exactly a top notch investigator (yes, I know he has all kinds of things wrong with him).  It is a very humorless show--and I guess I can understand that under the circumstances, but it could use some irony, at least.  Even the gleeful nurse is a pretty standard cliche in horror films.  It is the first episode and sometimes a show improves.  Not to my taste right now.  I'll give it one more chance.

That's because it is derivative even thought it's based on a book series, the opening shot is basically a ripoff.

I actually have never watched "Lost" so I missed that reference (though I've seen similar openings in other movies) but I did see the first season of "Twin Peaks" and every episode of "The Prisoner" and "Twilight Zone" (though many years ago so I can't quote them).  It's okay to have derivative material, but this is a little bit much....unless that's the point; that the main character has wandered into what is basically a land made of movie/television tropes (which is also a plot of a "Twilight Zone" episode).  Somehow I don't think that's what is going on.  But sometimes it doesn't pay for me to think too much.

Let's just say the opening scene was almost a shot by shot remake of Lost's opening scene.  You're right about the other examples and this show has been compared to those other shows as well.

I don't mind the "eye opener" -- I don't think Lost was he only show to do that and it's not like they have a patent on it.

It's only 10 hours so I'll probably DVR and watch it all.  M Night Shamalongadingdang was a turn-off for me, but we'll see where it goes.

By mentioning the hallucinations, they planted the seed that this is all in his head, which means it probably isn't.

When he came back to the road from seeing the Great Wall of WP, he didn't get in the same car as he stole:  he bashed in the window of the stolen car, but rolled down the window of the one on the road.  This show cannot afford a production glitch like that so it must mean something.

• Love 1

I don't mind the "eye opener" -- I don't think Lost was he only show to do that and it's not like they have a patent on it.

It's not just the eye part, it's also the way it was shot, with the main character in a suit waking up and instead of a place it's a car.

• Love 1
It's not just the eye part, it's also the way it was shot, with the main character in a suit waking up and instead of a place it's a car.

Supposedly Ethan woke up in the woods after the car accident, but he is so far from the road that he couldn't even see the road, and there's no way he was thrown there from the accident.

Supposedly Ethan woke up in the woods after the car accident, but he is so far from the road that he couldn't even see the road, and there's no way he was thrown there from the accident.

Which only adds to the striking similarities, even down to the way the scene itself was shot.

• Love 1

Here is the first almost 2 minutes from the Lost opening:

Easier than talking about it. :)

I want to read the books just so that I no longer notice the posts about how "close to the truth" uninformed speculations are. *eyeroll*

Does anyone know if this is a passion project for him or if possibly he were just brought in as a name and to direct the first ep, and might not maybe be involved very much moving forward? (Sort of like JJ Abrams with Lost)

Well, he is one of the executive producers, but he didn't write any of it (thankfully). He also said this: "I called them and I said, as long as everyone isn't dead, I'll do it.", which makes it sound like he was brought aboard. As far as I've checked, it's a director/episode, except Tim Hunter and Zal Batmanglij who do two each. (Zal Batmanglij is the reason I'm watching this show after the pilot, and his episodes are 3 and 4, which is just perfect for a quick exit. lol.)

• Love 4

I want to read the books just so that I no longer notice the posts about how "close to the truth" uninformed speculations are. *eyeroll*

I hate it when people post shit like that.  Create a damned thread for book talk if you can't curb your enthusiasm, and take it there.  Just leave us TV watchers to our own devices, puleese!

• Love 10

I hate it when people post shit like that.  Create a damned thread for book talk if you can't curb your enthusiasm, and take it there.  Just leave us TV watchers to our own devices, puleese!

For me, finding out that this is based on a book – and actually going somewhere, is something that gives me a reason to keep watching what would otherwise be a well worn, hokey premise. I for one am grateful for the input. Just my opinion of course. 

• Love 2

For me, finding out that this is based on a book – and actually going somewhere, is something that gives me a reason to keep watching what would otherwise be a well worn, hokey premise. I for one am grateful for the input. Just my opinion of course. 

Some people like spoilers, others, not so much.  Vive le difference!

• Love 1

This episode intrigued me enough to buy the first book, which I read in one night. Totally freaked me out, which I had thought was impossible at my age. Knowing what's going on will not deter me from watching the rest of the series; really looking forward to seeing the book come to life.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching the first episode, and I think I'm in for the series.  I don't personally mind if it's derivative of a few other shows, since I'm only watching it as a summer mystery. And I like the cast and setting. And the weather.  

I don't know where the story is going, though the wonky time factor kept ringing a bell in the back of my mind and I'm guessing there will be more instances of it in the future.  Other than that, I'm happy to let the story unfold for a few episodes before I try to figure out where it's going.

• Love 2

...and he doesn't recognize the very distinctive voice of the nurse when he supposedly calls his office?  ...

to be honest, I didn't catch the similarity myself, even on my 3rd viewing (altho i wasn't listening for that specifically).

Things that intrigue me: 

* The bartender identified Ethan as subject # 10-16-28 (month-day-year??)

* Beverly rattled off some dates implying next week is October 22nd

* Kate's home mailbox name is Ballinger (misspelled on IMDB?)

* A brief shot in town shows Ballinger's Toy store -- reminds me of the opening credits

Things which bugged me:

* He doesn't try to use the phone booth which is prominently located on the street?

* Why is the camera so focused on the water on the floor in the hospital hallway?  It's raining outside, she came in wearing a wet raincoat, so what? Are we to suspect she already walked down that hall? *shrug*

Overall, I want this to be a show I *NEED* to watch multiple times, to pick up clues and/or Easter Eggs.  I'm just not certain whether it was intended that way. For now, I'm tempted to keep a notebook handy.

/me goes to check if 1st ep is still in the deleted files

• Love 4
(edited)

He doesn't have any money to use a payphone.   Maybe he could get the operator to try call collect but the last time I tried to make a collect call several years ago they try to make you use a calling card for those calls, and now most people don't even have that--so he may know that.      As Whimsey98 mentioned, a lot of payphones don't work nowadays.

It's one of things that dates shows like Law & Order--in many seasons how much they go after phone records from payphones, and the detectives in early seasons don't use cellphones much if at all.  

Edited by car54
  • Love 1
(edited)

It was okay. Not great. I'm trying to decide if I want to read the books (I only found out today, that it's based on a series of books). I've just bought the kindle version of the first one, and will check the library for the rest.

Edited by Anela

When he came back to the road from seeing the Great Wall of WP, he didn't get in the same car as he stole:  he bashed in the window of the stolen car, but rolled down the window of the one on the road.

It was the same car.  He had bashed out the rear side window -- always a good idea if you don't want to sit in broken glass in the driver seat -- and that same window was missing when the sheriff aimed the flashlight at the driver's window which then rolled down.

(and now I have watched this episode four times, still finding fascinating details!)

Did y'all notice the snowglobe on the sheriff's desk?  I don't think it's a clue, just a cute way to wink at the audience, I say.

Oh, and the "Biergarten" bar where Ethan meets Beverly?  It had 6 framed photographs of mountain scenery on the wall above an upright piano that night, but when he returns (the next day?) and confronts the guy who works there, it is now a large mirror above the piano.  Those kinds of details pass right by me even on a 2nd viewing.  I LOVE this kind of show!

• Love 8
(edited)

Just watched it. It was okay and I'll give it a couple of episodes because I'm a sucker for mysteries, but these kinds of shows really need to start to hire more directors, composers and editors with a more distinct, unique vision. The shots and sounds are all dime a dozen, I feel. The music is your usual dramatic, bombastic, cliche mysterious and "Listen to how thrilling this scene is!! She's walking up the stairs reading a mysterious text!! Bom bom bom!!" It just draws me out more than it draws me in. The directing is your usual network dramathriller feel. There's no time and effort made to make it feel disturbing or really interesting or fresh, or even evocative of great shows like The Prisoner, Twin Peaks, The X-Files and Carnivale. Or even recent shows like Hannibal and Utopia. Please be more original, shows.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

Things that intrigued me:

1. The wonky time line. Ethan remembers just seeing his partner a few weeks ago when she has short hair, but now she has long hair and said she's been in the town for years? Beverly thinking it's 2000 or whatever it was.

2. When Ethan and Beverly first meet, she says something about how she's always believed him. Have they met numerous times before but he just doesn't remember?

3. Why are their no crickets? Does the security wall have something to do with it? Is the town not in the US, but maybe some other country that doesn't have crickets?

4. I've only watched the episode once, but I remember some scenes in the beginning that were filmed upside down, and the main promotional photo for the show is orientated upside down. Is it just to mimic the craziness of the show, or does it have a deeper meaning?

5. Why would they just leave a burned body in a house and how would Beverly know about it?

• Love 4

I was multi-tasking during this show and thought that I'd just see here what important plot points I needed to know for the mystery. On page 1 of this thread I thought, Thank you, fellow posters, for telling me everything I need to know! I'm all set! But, wow, you page 2 posters have gotten me intrigued with your very careful analysis and now I feel like I should watch carefully!

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm just catching up via DVR. The huge fence thing reminds me of the French version of The Returned.

Melissa Leo is killin' it. And Terence Howard as the avuncular threatening sheriff is good, too.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
(edited)

Melissa Leo is killin' it. And Terence Howard as the avuncular threatening sheriff is good, too.

Yeah. Melissa Leo laying out the plan for Ethan of 8 hours of brain surgery while paralyzed without anesthetic was just a wee bit disturbing. She was the difference for me the viewer between "realizing I'm supposed to be freaked out by this" and "actually getting freaked out by this." Which is what great acting is all about.

Ditto Terrence Howard.

Have only watched this episode, don't know anything about the books, and don't want to know anything about the books. I'm in.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

This episode intrigued me enough to buy the first book, which I read in one night. Totally freaked me out, which I had thought was impossible at my age. Knowing what's going on will not deter me from watching the rest of the series; really looking forward to seeing the book come to life.

Okay, you got me.  I, too, think I'm beyond shock & awe, so I'm excited about tracking down this book.

But what did you think of Shutter Island?  (I read the last page and threw the book against the wall.  And I'm still mad.)

• Love 1

Things that intrigue me: 

* The bartender identified Ethan as subject # 10-16-28 (month-day-year??)

* Beverly rattled off some dates implying next week is October 22nd

* Kate's home mailbox name is Ballinger (misspelled on IMDB?)

* A brief shot in town shows Ballinger's Toy store -- reminds me of the opening credits

I interpreted the 10-16-28 thing differently. I thought they were referring to him as subject 28 and stating the code "10-16". Police radio codes are usually "10-something". Like "10-4" means message received, "10-23" means on scene etc. I googled 10-16 and it has a couple radio meanings. One is domestic disturbance and the other is "pick up prisoner". Since the bartender had knocked Ethan out and we later see him in the hospital in handcuffs the bartender could have been calling for someone to come pick up Ethan. In other words what the bartender meant was "we need a 10-16..... subject 28 isn't doing well". Of course it's impossible to tell from the actual statement which was simply "10 16 28 isn't doing well." But I still hear it as "10-16 (pause) 28 isn't doing well". What do you guys think?

Would this be considered an "easter egg": the show is filmed in Agassiz, BC, area code 604. The location of the dead agent was 604 First avenue. My friends and I noticed the 604 right away because it's our area code. Just wondering if it's a coincidence or if Mr Shyamalam purposely used that number. 

On 5/19/2015 at 8:31 AM, Broderbits said:

Okay, you got me.  I, too, think I'm beyond shock & awe, so I'm excited about tracking down this book.

But what did you think of Shutter Island?  (I read the last page and threw the book against the wall.  And I'm still mad.)

The first three books are amazing, they will keep your attention non stop. Also, there is a Kindle book called The Journey of Peter McCall which is like a prequel that is also extremely interesting. It basically fills in many of the gaps that book one left you wondering about.

https://www.amazon.com/Wayward-Pines-Journey-McCall-Novella-ebook/dp/B01GOQ6MHI?ie=UTF8&keywords=wayward%20pines%20books&qid=1465258097&ref_=sr_1_12&sr=8-12

• Love 1