Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Robinson Crusoe's Guide To Island Survival Not Included

Dakota is just gullible....he went towards the lowest common denominator so he didn't have to feel uncomfortable or engage himself. He feels good feeling like he's roughing it on the land rather than building a shelter or God forbid a really nice shelter. It's easy to make fun of people or put people down rather than engage them and try to learn.

Pigs can be slowed down...I didn't literally mean they injected it with tons of downers to the point of unsafe consumability. Real wild pigs can't be caught because they would never be rooting around people. They can be trapped but not caught. At least not by this bunch of guys!

I'd love to see a follow up. I think Trey had gas.

they have to have a trauma doctor on the Island with them. I wonder what would have happened if the doc and medic were the first 2 out?

• Love 2

I say Jim takes Dakota with him on the crazy train. All the others may make it barring a stupid accident.

Jim really is using the Murphy PD to rewrite his history. I wonder why they allow it.

I wrote a letter to the local newspaper's editor asking him about it and about Jim's notorious past, no answer. Maybe I should just ask Chief Jacobs why they let him pose with the department's cars.

• Love 5

Jim's about two weeks away from having him and Dakota stab everyone else in their sleep for the food and water and goods.

Jim you're worried about the water? Go get some you tiresome man. Stop whining and start doing. Lazyass man.

• Love 6

Wait. There's only one week left?  Were they out there 30 days?  How many days did this episode cover?  I remember them talking about being there 17 days.  That seems like a big jump.

Jim bothers me.  A LOT.  How do they think it's ok to not contribute to the camp at all but eat all the food the camp gathers?  That's entitled BS right there.  I give Dakota a little bit of a pass because he's young and following the older guys lead, but he doesn't get much of one.  Also, not to say it didn't hurt, but he seemed to be whining a lot about his burns.  Buck, to me, seemed like he was rolling his eyes internally a little bit.  He equated his burns to sunburn and Jim was still holding the rag to his face and acting like his face was melting off.  I have third degree burns all down my right arm that needed skin graphs, I know of which I am talking about. 

I felt so bad for Trey.  I also hope they give us an update on those medevac'd out.  I think we're done losing people, though.  I think this group makes it to the end.

• Love 4

I'd love to see a follow up. I think Trey had gas.

According to Trey, from Twitter:

Trey Williams ‏@icetrey02 45m45 minutes ago

And for those that asked, I had some badly bleeding hemorrhoids, gut infection, and backed up bowel. No surgery but meds and a week of pain.

I know someone who was so impacted that it required a visit to the emergency room and an unpleasant experience of having a doctor remove the blockage.  Not a fun experience.  Can't imagine adding undigested crab shells to the mix.

• Love 4

Was Trey the only one eating crab shells? I remember someone asking if it was OK to eat the shells and someone else said it was OK so I would assume at least some of the others did too. Strange that Trey was the only one affected by them. Still, I think his leaving was the saddest since he was actually contributing unlike some of the others who left early.

Weird that next week is the finale; they spent five episodes on the first 10-12 days and they're going to spend just one episode on the next 15 or 16 days? OK then. I guess not much else happened after Trey left.

• Love 3
(edited)

Look up the definition of "Asshat" and you will find a full-page photo of Jim.

I (almost) have no words for what a jerk that guy is. He goes on a REALITY TV SHOW, then refuses to wear his mic? Tells the guys not to film him? The heck. Then he makes fun of people who are "showboating" by building a shelter? People who are actually occupying their time on a deserted island by being sociable and making a camp and houses while he lays on his *ss and does absolutely nothing but watch and grouse about everyone else? Oh, just wow.

Then he complains that those people, who are actually cutting limbs and BUILDING something in the 100-degree heat, are drinking "his" water? Oh, just wow.

I liked Dakota, he seemed like a nice, friendly kid up for the experience. But he says Jim reminds him of his grandfather, which make me think Dakota comes from a really dysfunctional family unit, ala Archie Bunker. Then when he said he'd never met a gay guy because he's from Idaho? Oh, just wow. Hate to tell you, Dakota, but I bet you know a lot of gay guys, you just don't know it.

Trey was a good guy. I'll miss him.

I vote for a new show of just the camera guys, starring my teevee boyfriend Benji in the lead. Man, those guys are smart, logical, practical and just all around the best men I've seen on any show ever, anywhere.

And yeah, next week is the end? I'll miss my weekly visits here you guys. Just let me know where Benji is going next. Heh.

ETA: Trey's twitter handle is "icetrey." Hee hee!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

Jim must be trying to give Russell Hantz a run for "most hated reality show contestant ever" - does he ever go and get the water?  He boils up what the other guys bring back from an hours long hike.  It's no more his than theirs.

What Dakota actually said was that he didn't get to meet many gay people, presumably because he lives somewhere pretty rural where you don't meet many people at all.

Minus the three camera men and Buck, there are four people left, right?  Jim, Dakota, Rob and Jud.

• Love 1

They could do a calendar and series, cameramen of reality television!  Benji is January, February, March,... We could see Benji saving animals, building structures, eating, sleeping, talking to the common reality show contestant, bathing ...lol

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm having a hard time buying that Jim was ever a police officer. The ones I know are hard-working, yet fun guys who would never act like this. Lazy, entitled asshat.

How dare you question ex-policeman Jim, who survived the most tragic and horrible and hard and gruesome occupation EVER, that of a policeman. We know this because Jim told us how great he is and how miserable his life-and-death occupation was. Of course, his (retired-from) job was WAY harder and he saw WAY more horrible things than a trauma surgeon or an Iraq war vet. That terrible, horrible, traumatic past life obviously entitles him to sit on his rear end (well, lie on his back more truthfully) and complain about everyone else who isn't him.

I was wondering how long that pig had been roaming around if all the yucca had been rooted up and eaten. And why they were not looking for yucca roots a week ago, before that pig got let loose.

What Dakota actually said was that he didn't get to meet many gay people, presumably because he lives somewhere pretty rural where you don't meet many people at all.

He is from Idaho but they still have schools and stores and cities and towns in that state. And gay guys. Dakota just doesn't know he's met them, just like he didn't know Trey was gay until Trey said so. So, Trey is "officially" his "first." Just not his REAL first. 

I'm totally in for that All Benji All The Months calendar, RiverHeights.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Then when he said he'd never met a gay guy because he's from Idaho?

My double-take came from him saying Trey had "changed his opinion" of gay people. WTH was his "opinion" of gay people before?

I am not defending Jim by any means, but the "window" thing that could be raised by a pulley-rope did seem like a silly waste of time and energy.

I wrote a letter to the local newspaper's editor asking him about it and about Jim's notorious past, no answer. Maybe I should just ask Chief Jacobs why they let him pose with the department's cars.

I'd love to know the answer to that.  If you do write to Chief Jacobs, include a link to this discussion.  Send a link to Jim too.  :)   Someone with his ego wouldn't be able to resist seeing what people are saying about him.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am not defending Jim by any means, but the "window" thing that could be raised by a pulley-rope did seem like a silly waste of time and energy.

Yeah, why waste their time and energy when they could be doing ... NOTHING, like Jim. At least these guys were using their brains and interacting and being social. Even zoo animals are given toys and challenges so they don't go freaking crazy from doing nothing while trapped in a small enclosure. And we give our dogs and cats toys to play with so they can occupy themselves, combat boredom and grow their intellects.

Jim, on the other hand, I'm afraid doesn't have much intellect to grow. I'll take a window-building Benji over an *ss-sleeping Jim any day.

ETA:

Yeah, Jim's head would explode if he read anything here.

Here's hoping.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I agree with saber5055 - it's not like these guys have to get up early punch a clock or catch a train to an office somewhere.  Getting water and food and firewood are important duties and it looks like they've got those chores covered (granted, it's minimal). They have nothing else to do most of their waking hours, so why not have a little fun making a decent camp or use test some skills on a project.  Even when I go to the beach for a day, I get bored after an hour of just lying on a blanket.  I build sandcastles or swim with my daughter, go for a walk, look for interesting shells/tide pools.  We even set up bowling games with drift wood pins and rocks.  I couldn't imagine having 10+ hours of nothing to do!

Jim is extremely unlikeable.  So petulant and convinced he is the rightest person who ever spoke an opinion.  I'm sure living in close quarters and being stuck with anyone over a long period would irk the shit out of most people, but this ass-hat has had a bug up his butt since Day 1.  He has no ability to express himself to the others.  Maybe it's a generational thing?  But I think it would go a long way with the rest of the "Kumbaya Kids" if he could just say how he feels vs. trying to force them see his way is superior  by scoffing at them. I feel sorry for his wife and kids having to deal with such an emotionally & socially closed person.

Rob has bugged me since the beginning.  This week was the topper.  He can't sleep well thanks to insomnia and wanders the beach all night because he doesn't have a bed???  Um, here's an idea genius...MAKE ONE! Or ask the other guys to show you the way to the Island IKEA they found to make all the other beds, tables & draperies.

Weird that this is ending so quickly.  I really hope there are follow ups at the end.

• Love 6

It was so nice that Benji helped to make Rob a bed, and then he was able to sleep. Benji looked at the experience like a kid who got to play all day. So he embraced it with that kind of enthusiasm. It was like, tree fort? I am building a 2 story structure with a window! Yeah!  He has never been shown to have a negative word and has been kind to everyone, including sea turtles. He is willing to work and he listens. What is not to like?  And the other camera guys and the doc have been great too. 

• Love 8

Yeah, why waste their time and energy when they could be doing ... NOTHING, like Jim.

They could be out searching for addition food sources like Trey and Matt (?) were. Or they could just focus on expanding the shelter so everyone has more room and is more comfortable. I don't begrudge them a little "play time" but the window thing was silly. That said, I agree they're utilizing their time far better than Jim so I'm not defending that guy by any stretch of the imagination.

Does anyone do anything for their own personal development anymore? Does everything have to be for your boyfriend or family? How about being a better person for yourself?

It's every competitive show I have ever seen, they are always doing it for someone else. Dead grandmas, their first grade teacher, their estranged mother, etc. I wonder if production doesn't tell them "Look, man, saying you want to prove how tough you are is boring. Make something up."

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know how to get in touch with Jim, but I did put a link to the Sheriff's office's webpage in the "Guys" thread. Yeah, Jim's head would explode if he read anything here.

I wonder if the network has a twitter handle for him or if it has a comments section--you could put a link in there. I bet he would read that

Edited by Vicky8675309

There may not be any prize money but I'm sure they're getting paid something. I would also assume those who had to leave early will get paid less, if they're being paid by the day. But obviously it's not much if shoe salesman Earnest decided he could forego the last two weeks.

• Love 1

I wasn't particularly anti-Jim based on the reason for his firing. And I don't even care about him posing in front of the squad cars and medals and such. Those decisions aren't HIS -- they're the producers. The producers needed a story for him. I've become terribly anti-Jim, though, based on his selfish, arrogant attitude.

After the show is over, Jim is going to go home and talk about how horrible the show was and how the other participants bullied him and wouldn't leave him alone. He's making this a hellacious experience thorugh his own actions (and inactions). Worse, though, he's dragging Dakota down with him. Dakota is being sweet and hanging out with him, but his experience is being negatively influenced too. What a cool experience he's having, but he's not going to have any good memories.

The other guys, though, have something better than good memories and great stories -- they've made lifelong friends, people who experienced the same wild ride, people who worked shoulder to shoulder with them through big successes and big failures.

What a waste Jim is. And what a sad, sad excuse for a human being.

• Love 7

The producers needed to have him pose in front of the Georgia police dept. cars where he worked. Not the ones in the town he presently lives in....where he's never worked. He could have had his own story with his medals and memorabilia from his days in Georgia. But to fake it like he was chief in Murphy? That's an outright lie.

• Love 3

I agree in concept, but the producers aren't trying to portray truth. 99.999% of their viewing audience doesn't know he didn't work for that department. From production's point of view, it was cheaper to snap a shot with local cars.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, just explaining why the choice was probably made -- and why it doesn't particularly bother me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jim could have posed for a still photo in front of that case of badges and "awards" shown in his TH. Although maybe those aren't his, either, and are from some museum. I can understand how someone from that community can be highly irked by that *sshat misrepresenting himself, especially given his history. Which is maybe why he posed as a fake police chief, so no one would trace him. Busted here though.

Even without knowing his history, I agree that he's one sad specimen of a human. I hope everyone who watches this show feels the same way. I don't think it's a generational thing, I know people much older than he is who would be helping Benji making that pulley window. Jim is just an *sshat for all ages. Bitter, self-important and mean, all the way through.

As for Benji and others wasting time building huts and windows, they still gathered and cooked all those crabs which Jim and Dakota came, ate, and left without so much as a thank you. So, there's that.

If any PAs are reading here, please make a show, any show, starring the camera guys. I'd watch that all day long.

ETA:

This is a misogynists dream show.

While there are no women on this show, I've not heard nor seen anything that indicates a hate toward or a dislike of women. So, I disagree totally. It's a purposely created male society, but none of the men (even Jim) have exhibited anything remotely resembling misogyny. Quite the opposite, in many instances.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

My fear is that if they did a season with both men and women, it would devolve into your typical reality show trash with hook-ups and coupling and the actual work of trying to find water, food and survive would be an afterthought, or not even a concern, since the producers would probably give them supplies and shelter just so they'd all sleep together and make with the sexy-times.

• Love 2

Oh hell no. Jim's bullshit was off the charts this episode. So now, because he claims he shot someone in the head, they aren't supposed eat? How convenient this is only an issue after he gets called out for just showing up for meals. He had no problem scarfing down anything else that was caught. Boa, crabs, pig. All good. Last meal after his laziness is pointed out, ethical dilemma. 

And while Dakota seems like a good kid, I'm also calling bullshit on his "I failed one class and lost my scholarship" story. Unless he was only taking one class, or got D's in all the rest, I just don't see how one class would sink someone on a basketball scholarship. 

As for a woman's version, it doesn't look like they taped one for the American running. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed almost the entire season, but man, something about this finale just ended it on the wrong tone. It went from survival to full blown drama in the worst way possible. Jim has been awful and lazy the entire season, but for some reason the producers thought it was a good idea to give him a lot of screen time the last two episodes. Dakota started off young and naive and came into his own as an equally unlikable, leeching jerk.

How many minutes of actual footage did we see in this episode? Maybe 15? It felt like we'd see a minute of action, 30 seconds of "what's coming up after the commercial", 2 minutes of commercial, 30 seconds of "what just happened before the commercial break and what's about to happen", then another minute of action before the cycle repeated. It was terrible.

There must have been more good footage they could have shown. In the cut scenes in this episode we saw them gutting a sizable fish - yet the only fish we saw them catching was much smaller, and after that we never saw them fishing again. We saw some sort of coconut contraption for the first time in a cut scene. I would have loved to see more footage of the shelters being built. Ever since the pig, have they survived on only crabs and coconuts? Did they not explore more of the island? Did they ever find good yucca plants?

This show has been the absolute worst about spoiling their own episodes. I could have only watched the intro "this time on The Island" and known 90% of what happens during the episode.

• Love 6

The timing of the whole thing is just screwy. I could have sworn they were on like day 14 just last week and suddenly they're on day 24 out of 28? Yet there didn't seem to be any kind of time jump, it seemed more like they were picking up right where they left off. I wonder if they were sort of fudging the dates and weren't actually out there for 28 days.

Yeah, the editing kind of sucked elsewhere too. While the experiment was sort of interesting, I don't really feel like they did a very good job of letting us get to know all the participants. I still can't even remember a lot of their names. Aside from Benji I never got a real sense of the other three cameramen. One of them was named Matt, I think? And the trauma surgeon, we never really got much from him either. They spent too much time focusing on the people who ultimately left instead of the people who made it all the way to the end.

So Dakota's going to propose to his girlfriend when he gets home? I hope she gets a chance to watch his lazy ass on this show before she commits to walking down the aisle. He's a college drop-out who isn't even sure what he wants to do with his life, he doesn't exactly scream marriage material does he?

I think this could have been better, because most of the people weren't half bad, but the narrative was kind of a disjointed mess.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, this last episode was all kinds of funky. I think for some reason TPTB wanted Jim to have some redemption arc and "come around" to being a "good person" at the end. But the first part, when Matt tries to talk to Dakota about the split in the groups, man, Dakota sure turned into a dickweed in less than a heartbeat. Yeah, he give a TH that he feels terrible about it, but DUDE, the heck, Matt was talking all level-headed and you go all ballistic? I hope your girlfriend found someone new and much, much better while you were gone.

Oh Jim. Bitter much that you didn't get to capture that poor caiman?

Oh, Jim, Jim, Jim. Way to tell the world that anyone in their 60s and older is just dead meat and worthless and unable to do anything but sit on their asses and gripe about everyone else who IS doing things. What a major jackass you are. Kudos to Matt for telling him, "You're 64, not 84."

I want to know why all of a sudden filming stopped when Matt and Dakota, followed by Benji filming, went down the beach to talk to Jim about his Lord of the Flies attitude. I suspect because Jim flipped a gigantic tizwad and this show wanted us to think everyone ended up all Kumbaya (to quote Jim).

This show would have been better if they didn't know WHEN Bear was coming for them. As it was, Jim was all "I'm just here to the end" and not doing anything because he knew there were only X days left. He didn't have any problem eating the pig and snake and all those crabs and the fish, yet, with only ONE DAY LEFT on the island, he decides he's "not eating" because it's a caiman? 

Bet ya a thousand bucks Jim lit up the Weber and cooked him a gigantic steak the minute he got back home.

Cameraman Matt ... he must have a degree in psychology or human behavior because wow, is he good at negotiations and being level-headed and a cool thinker.

Benji ... still love you. And what was up with the blurring out his loincloth? Way to ruin the finale for me, show. 

Benji was hilarious telling the caiman to come out of the water cuz it was getting all pruney. I actually LOL at that.

ETA: I'm afraid if I had been on that island, I would have told Dakota and Jim to catch and cook their own freaking dinners, and keep the heck away from our camp, our food, our water and our firewood. That might have made for some good teevee ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Did anyone else's video freeze then jump the minute Judd jumped on the crocodile? It made me wonder if there was some clever editing going on there.

Also, this isn't the first episode where I felt like maybe they were fudging the timeline. I remember another one where there was a discrepancy between two different descriptions of how many days they'd been on the island. It makes me wonder if something happened, like maybe they didn't factor in the seasonal tide and realized the beach would be gone sooner than expected, and then they told everyone "OK we were supposed to be here 28 days but we're only going to do it for 15, so just pretend it's been that long." When they showed the side-by-side pictures of the guys, a lot of the beard growth didn't look like a month's worth.

• Love 2

I was glad Jim spoke up about killing the caimon, and I'm glad they discussed it before they did it. I'm an animal lover too -- I don't even kill mosquitos without feeling sad. I acknowledge that I would have to kill if I want to survive in a situation like that, but it would never be easy.

The discussion about killing the caiman was a good one, and hopefully, will give pause to viewers who think t-bones just grow inside those plastic packages they buy at their groceries. With the caiman and the pig, dispatching it was done in the way of the native American, to bless the animal and thank it for what it is giving them. Plus, a great point was made: That caiman (if indeed it really WAS a wild indigenous one) had led a far better life than a factory hog, steer or chicken that are processed in a most horrible way in American packing houses. So there's that, too.

I was waiting for someone to ask Jim if he was a vegetarian when he was objecting (all of a sudden) to killing the reptile. THAT would have created a firestorm for sure, so maybe someone did and it had to be cut out so as to keep Jim's redemption arc on track. I was a vegetarian for many years and met hostility at every turn, from friends, family, co-workers. You'd think I was some sort of serial murder when, in fact, I was quite the opposite.

I thought everyone looked like they had lost weight, even Jim, although if it appears he did not or even gained, that's probably a result of his immobility, doing nothing, with his only exercise coming from walking to (and eating) dinners others had prepared.

All reality shows are bogus, including this one. So yeah, maybe they called it quits before the months (28 days? February?) was up. While I've never grown a beard, hair is said to grow one-half inch per month. So, it's anyone's guess how long they really were there. I did think it odd that "tide" seemed to come in and then go out in an afternoon. Wha?

I hope they went back to pick of that last cameraman who filmed the boat of survivors driving away. Bye bye, Benji.

• Love 1
(edited)

That final episode was so bad. One solid hour of dreck. I can't believe that made it the whole run but years ago they stopped airing Pirate Hunter (?) halfway through. That show was bad, but this was worse.

ETA: I cared enough to google it the next day.  The show was Pirate Master not Pirate Hunter.  Either way, better than this.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 2
(edited)

ETA: I'm afraid if I had been on that island, I would have told Dakota and Jim to catch and cook their own freaking dinners, and keep the heck away from our camp, our food, our water and our firewood. That might have made for some good teevee ...

Oh, hell yeah, I would have told them that, too. No contribution to the group, no food or water. Why did no one have the stones to tell them that.

Jim was all bullshit about the caiman. I didn't want them to kill it because they were a couple of days from leaving and wouldn't have starved without it. They could still have caught the land crabs. I'm sure Jim caught crabs a long time ago, but that's another story. Hope he didn't try to chat with Dakota...

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I'm confused.  Killing a caiman (never heard of this before, I thought it was alligator or crocodile)  somehow is akin to MURDER, as opposed to the fish and sandcrabs?  Aren't crabs and fish also alive?  

Jim and Dakota had asked what time dinner was, at the beginning.   My tendency would be to tell them it was at 6 - then cook at 5, and when they show up, they can eat what's left, if anything.  Oops, sorry, dinner was ready early, we ate without you.  We yelled to you, I guess you didn't hear.

Yeah, I'm passive-aggressive, why do you ask?

• Love 4

I have two sons who were in boy scouts all through high school.   They did high adventure, wilderness survival type stuff.  That's what this show reminded me of -  boy scouts, grown up, going camping, and then the parents pick them up when camp is over. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I was so disinterested in any of the people in it.

Even Matt and Benji? Harsh! Heh.

Did anyone else's video freeze then jump the minute Judd jumped on the crocodile? It made me wonder if there was some clever editing going on there.

I meant to answer this before. Yes, the caiman catching was weird. Judd is going to spear the caiman, then there's all this water frenzy, then commercial. We come back, and the caiman is on land and being tied up with a bunch of rope that came from ... where? I'm thinking the caiman was a plant, it didn't even move its tail after being caught, and I'm also thinking there was something fishy about how it was caught. Grown female common caimans max out at four feet long, so I'm guessing that's what this one was, and around 50 lbs. or less.

LittleIggy, your Jim/crabs comment made me LOL, so thanks for that.

I'm confused.  Killing a caiman (never heard of this before, I thought it was alligator or crocodile)  somehow is akin to MURDER, as opposed to the fish and sandcrabs?  Aren't crabs and fish also alive?

Yeah, no kidding. Although we knew Jim liked to paint his own picture of what a great guy he is. IMO, anything that tries to get away when you try to eat it is alive. I didn't see Jim skipping his pig or snake meals, even though he shot that guy years ago and he thinks about it every day. Didn't hurt his appetite then.

And for a nature lesson, caimans are members of the crocodilian species, which includes crocodiles and alligators, but caimans are only found in Central and South America. They CAN adapt to salt water but are usually in slow-moving rivers and marshes. Another reason I suspect this one was a plant. Yeah, I know ... surprise.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3